Sophos SafeGuard OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sophos SafeGuard is the #3 ranked solution in top Mobile Data Protection tools and #5 ranked solution in top Endpoint Encryption tools. PeerSpot users give Sophos SafeGuard an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. Sophos SafeGuard is most commonly compared to Microsoft BitLocker: Sophos SafeGuard vs Microsoft BitLocker. Sophos SafeGuard is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 51% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Endpoint Encryption Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Sophos SafeGuard?
Protect your confidential information and comply with regulatory mandates safely and securely with SafeGuard Enterprise, Utimaco's comprehensive modular information protection platform. SafeGuard Enterprise is a modular information protection control platform that enforces policy-based security for PCs and mobile devices across mixed environments. SafeGuard Enterprise offers full transparency to end-users and is easy to administer from a single central console.

Sophos SafeGuard was previously known as SafeGuard, SafeGuard Encryption.

Sophos SafeGuard Customers
Rushmoor Borough Council
Sophos SafeGuard Video

Sophos SafeGuard Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Sophos SafeGuard pricing:
  • "It would be great if the price of the solution was lower than the current price. If we are to sell this particular solution to smaller businesses and not just enterprise businesses it needs to be lower."
  • "We pay around $10 a year for each endpoint, including support."
  • "Licensing is on a yearly basis and the pricing could be better."
  • Sophos SafeGuard Reviews

PatrickWheaton - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Consultant & Trainer at ReallySimpleTech, Inc.
    Good stability and performance, easy to use, and has one pane of glass that does everything
    • "I like its ease of use the most. The management console is really nice. I like having one pane of glass that does everything. It does the Sophos anti-virus and encryption. Everything that you need is in one place. It is easy to use, and it is also pretty fast. It provides some pretty good details, and it lets you know who has access to a file. You can also add additional people to the encrypted documents, which is pretty good. Its stability and performance are also very good."
    • "It just needs a little bit more on the reporting side. Its reporting can be improved a little bit in terms of being able to know that things are in the right status. I should be able to pull a report to make sure that everything is all right. It could also have cloud integration. At the time I was using it, it wasn't a cloud product."

What is our primary use case?

It is used in environments where there are mobile executives and the data can't be compromised. For example, if a laptop is lost or stolen, you have to ensure that the data is not compromised. I have deployed it at a motor company in the Bay area for securing the local laptops. It is used at a hospital for securing medical records and CFO-related files. It is also used at a Law firm for encrypting pleadings and legal documents.

What is most valuable?

I like its ease of use the most. The management console is really nice. I like having one pane of glass that does everything. It does the Sophos anti-virus and encryption. Everything that you need is in one place. It is easy to use, and it is also pretty fast.

What needs improvement?

It just needs a little bit more on the reporting side. Its reporting can be improved a little bit in terms of being able to know that things are in the right status. I should be able to pull a report to make sure that everything is all right.

It could also have cloud integration. At the time I was using it, it wasn't a cloud product.

I've been in the IT industry for several years. I work with a lot of different companies, and I've deployed and managed Sophos SafeGuard at quite a few companies over a period of about three years.

Endpoint Encryption
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Sophos, Microsoft, Broadcom and others in Endpoint Encryption. Updated: November 2022.
    655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Its stability and performance were good. I never had any crashes. I didn't notice it causing any performance problems or high CPU usage, making applications slower.

We had Sophos in the image. We rolled out the machines, so it was already there. It was already part of our base image, and then for servers, we use SCCM. Sophos also has its own console that you can use for deployments, but we didn't use that.

Most of our clients are large businesses. Most of the time, smaller businesses can't afford to call in consultants to roll out stuff for them.

I have never used their tech support.

Different companies used different solutions. They usually switched when their license agreements ran out. The company for which I did the biggest installation had ESET and McAfee ePO. I removed both ESET and McAfee ePO and placed two different environments with Sophos. This switch was a result of viruses happening and not getting caught by their protection systems.

The initial setup of Sophos is also easier than other solutions such as Trend Micro and BitLocker. The setup of both these solutions is much more complex. If you try to go old school with PGP, it has a command-line setup, and it gets a lot more complex.

I am currently using BitLocker, which is a little bit more difficult. You have to use some power show commands. Sometimes, you have to use scripting and create GTOs. There are many different places you have to go to for configuring policies and rules to make it all work. In Sophos SafeGuard, everything that you need is in one place.

It was pretty straightforward. If you don't know how encryption works, it could be a little bit complex, but it would still be easier to do it with Sophos than any other tool in the market, such as Trend Micro and BitLocker.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product. I would advise calling an expert to deploy it.

I would rate Sophos SafeGuard an eight out of ten.

Sanjay Yerra - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technology Engineering and Solutions Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Simple to use with good encryption capabilities and helpful technical support
    • "It's a straightforward solution."
    • "It would be ideal if the solution had different features within one agent."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint encryption.

What is most valuable?

It's a straightforward solution.

The solution is pretty simple to use.

We haven't had any real issues with the product.

Technical support has been helpful and they are responsive.

The encryption is very good.

Overall, Sophos is a great product.

What needs improvement?

BitLocker comes from the OS license with Windows. It's a free solution. However, Sophos is a product we need to pay for. Therefore, using it is more expensive for our organization. It's also, in general, a pricey option. We'd like to lower costs.

Sophos requires separate BAU operations and separate infrastructure. We require a server and few other things, as well as portals. However, a solution like BitLocker is integrated with the CCM now. It doesn't require any other infrastructure.

It would be ideal if the solution had different features within one agent.

Sophos has been used in our bank for between three to four years (or more) at this point. We've used it for a while.

We have about 24,000 users on the solution right now. We have many users in our organization.

The technical support has been very good. They are helpful and responsive. We are satisfied with their level of support.

We need to pay for this solution currently, however, if we switch to Bitlocker, it would be free as it's a part of Microsoft's OS.

We are currently doing a POC with Bitlocker. I want to decommission the Sophos Safeguard and enable BitLocker for my bank. I'm working on that right now.

What other advice do I have?

We're basically an end-user. We're a bank. We have a vendor the provides resources to us.

I'm a solution architect and not fully working on the solution directly, per se. I'm looking for a way to switch over from Sophos to Bitlocker.

Whether or not this is the right solution depends on each individual company. They have to decide if it is compatible and comparable with a paid solution or a free solution. I advise users to go with a free solution, such as BitLocker, as when we compare Sophos and BitLocker both cover the same aspects such as encryption. We can do what we need to do with both solutions and yet we only have to pay for one.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. It's a very good product overall. The main reason I would like to switch is based on the cost. If I don't have to pay for something, I would prefer not to.

Endpoint Encryption
    November 2022
    655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Information Security Officer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    A stable and scalable solution with excellent technical support
    • "I like the support most of all."
    • "The solution's ability to integrate with other solutions, such as a DLP, should be addressed."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the new version of Sophos SafeGuard.

Our endpoint users make use of three environments which we protect with the help of the solution.

What is most valuable?

I like the support most of all. In the past we had issues with it, but are now very pleased with it. It is very good.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

We do not have plans to increase the usage at present, perhaps in three year's time.

Were I to come across an alternate solution, I would switch. In the past, we made use of Kasperki, but we switched to Sophos SafeGuard because we felt it to be better.

The initial setup was easy.

The deployment lasted four months.

We use six or seven people, a combination of engineers and technicians, for the deployment and a technical support staff, consisting of 40 technicians, for the maintenance. There is much work involved, but we handle this.

For the deployment, we made use solely of the technical support that we had from the Sophos company.

I have not seen an ROI, return on our investment.

We evaluated CrowdStrike, prior to going with Sophos SafeGuard.

What other advice do I have?

Our company provides protection for 3,000 endpoint users.

We are customers of the solution.

Our solution is on hybrid cloud, with our servers being on-premises and the updates and sandbox being on the cloud.

I recommend that a person have a good implementation team which is very familiar with the solution. One who implements with a DLP solution should be careful with the DLL.

I rate Sophos SafeGuard as a nine out of ten.

Jay Bodiwala - PeerSpot reviewer
    Customer Support Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Beneficial system scanning, effective malware detection, but memory intensive
    • "The malware protection and the scanning features are most valuable in this solution."
    • "There are times that this solution takes up too much memory that needs to be resolved. If it is not fixed it will definitely create issues in the future."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily for email scanning.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There are times that this solution takes up too much memory that needs to be resolved. If it is not fixed it will definitely create issues in the future.

In an upcoming release, there should be more reports on the health status of the systems that we could fix, such as memory health, CPU utilization, and CPU health. These types of additions would be a great help.

I have been using the solution for approximately six months.

I have found the solution to be stable.

The solution has been scalable. Most of my clients are enterprise-size organizations using this solution.

Since I have been using the solution I have not had any errors or any issues I would need to contact support about.

I have used Trend Micro and Symantec antivirus previously. We have had a lot of issues with Trend Micro antivirus. We were facing so many issues related to the support and integration with some applications. There were times when applications would stop running. The solution also took up too many resources that were impacting the system's performance which is why we needed to move on from that particular antivirus.

It would be great if the price of the solution was lower than the current price. If we are to sell this particular solution to smaller businesses and not just enterprise businesses, it needs to be lower.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Sophos SafeGuard a seven out of ten.

Information Technology Project Support at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
    Great protection and encryption with very good anti-viral applications
    • "The solution has a great VPN."
    • "The dashboards lack sufficient information."

What is our primary use case?

We have several use cases for SafeGuard, primarily for its security features. We also use it for the VPN and plan filtering. We are customers of Sophos and I'm head of information technology product support.

What is most valuable?

Sophos SafeGuard offers one of the best VPNs I've seen. The solution is very good in terms of securities because all information is protected and encrypted with very good anti-viral applications. It's wonderful.

What needs improvement?

The dashboards currently lack sufficient information. For example, when we want to look for accessibilities we have to go in-depth and then run the scripts and only then access what we're looking for. It could all be available in the reports and save a lot of time. I want to be able to know who is using what, to check visibilities.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The stability is good.

Scalability depends on the parameters. The solution is scalable it's just a question as to what level. It will be different for every situation.

We are happy with the technical support team because they are accessible locally.

The initial setup is straightforward. We had some assistance initially but after we received guidelines from the technical team, it was easy. Anyone can do it with a couple of hours of training.

Licensing is reasonably priced, particularly when you compare it to a solution like Semantic which is more expensive. Sophos is an affordable product.

What other advice do I have?

SafeGuard is good for medium to large size organizations.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Jeison Bonilla - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cyber ​​Security Administrator at BAC Credomatic
    Stable solution that preserves data confidentiality
    • "SafeGuard's best feature is its stability."
    • "SafeGuard's user interface is ugly and doesn't provide reports, so we have to go into the database and get information from there by creating queries."

What is our primary use case?

I use SafeGuard to protect our endpoints by encrypting our devices.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a process and policies, including that all data should be secure. SafeGuard has helped us to protect that integrity to confidentiality.

What is most valuable?

SafeGuard's best feature is its stability.

What needs improvement?

There's a problem with the premise console because the endpoints need to connect to the local network, but with the pandemic, many users are working from home, and their machines aren't synchronized with our VPN. In addition, SafeGuard's user interface is ugly and doesn't provide reports, so we have to go into the database and get information from there by creating queries. In the next release, Sophos should include a reporting function and the file encryption that's included in the on-prem version but not the cloud.

I've been using Sophos SafeGuard for ten years.

SafeGuard's scalability is good.

Sophos' technical support is very good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We previously used McAfee, but it made some errors in the administration machine.

The initial setup was easy, and deployment took around two weeks.

We implemented using an in-house team but had an option to use a partner team.

We pay around $10 a year for each endpoint, including support. There are no additional fees.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SafeGuard as nine out of ten.

Amrendra Roy - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Administrator at GeoEnpro Petroleum Ltd
    Good protection, stable, scalable, and the support is helpful
    • "It's the best solution on the market."
    • "It's a good product, but some are not happy with the boot BCN, and the point-to-point VPN requires the best protection."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to protect our devices in a data center environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the protection. It offers many different areas of protection such as trade and virus protection.

It's the best solution on the market.

What needs improvement?

It's a good product, but some are not happy with the boot BCN, and the point-to-point VPN requires the best protection. Better internet protection is required.

We are currently using Sophos XG 210.21 but it expires in August, so we are looking at the Next-Generation Firewall.

We are using the latest version of SafeGuard.

It's a stable solution. We have no issues with stability.

We can expand the product when we have the requirements to do so. For now, we have not explored this area.

We have 150 users in various roles using this solution in our organization.

The technical support is great. They are very good, and helpful.

The initial setup was complex.

It took two months to deploy.

Initially, we started to implement this solution but required some help from support.

Licensing is on a yearly basis and the pricing could be better.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others because it's a very good product.

We are satisfied with SafeGuard and I would rate it a ten out of ten.

ManojNair2 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at Augesys Solutions Pvt Ltd
    Very efficient at virus protection with good functional and mechanical reliability
    • "The solution can block a virus attack and prevent it from moving across the system."
    • "The solution lacks direct connectivity to Azure AD."

What is our primary use case?

I have deployed a couple of Sophos firewalls for our clients recently. We are customers of Sophos.

What is most valuable?

The solution has the intelligence to block a virus attack and prevent it from moving across the system. It's easy to use and a very reliable firewall, functionally and mechanically.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks connectivity to Azure AD so it can connect to the regular internal Windows AD server but there's no direct connection to Azure AD. That would be a product improvement that needs to be implemented given that almost everyone is now on the cloud.

I've been using this solution for nine years.

From what I have seen, this is a very scalable product. It's a major plus point for them.

I've had a very good experience with customer service, particularly recently as I've also been managing other Sophos firewalls for customers.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

What other advice do I have?

It's worth taking the time to figure out how the solution can fit your needs. Sophos satisfies a large number of requirements and gives you unified security. It's something that has become a standard function with all other solutions in the market including with Palo Alto, SonicWall. I think Sophos leads in that space and if you're looking at a unified security function, then I recommend Sophos because of the protection from the endpoint to the gateway. It's a strong and capable system.

I rate this solution nine out of 10.

Download our free Endpoint Encryption Report and find out what your peers are saying about Sophos, Microsoft, Broadcom, and more!
    Updated: November 2022