SolarWinds Network Device Monitor OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SolarWinds Network Device Monitor is the #25 ranked solution in best Network Monitoring Tools. PeerSpot users give SolarWinds Network Device Monitor an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. SolarWinds Network Device Monitor is most commonly compared to Auvik: SolarWinds Network Device Monitor vs Auvik. SolarWinds Network Device Monitor is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 15% of all views.
SolarWinds Network Device Monitor Buyer's Guide

Download the SolarWinds Network Device Monitor Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is SolarWinds Network Device Monitor?
Network Device Monitor is a free tool that makes it easy to monitor the real-time performance and health of a single device on your network with a desktop dashboard that alerts you when your device is in trouble.

SolarWinds Network Device Monitor was previously known as Network Device Monitor.

SolarWinds Network Device Monitor Customers
Air Rarotonga
SolarWinds Network Device Monitor Video

SolarWinds Network Device Monitor Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SolarWinds Network Device Monitor pricing:
  • "When compared with other solutions SolarWinds is more expensive."
  • "Thankfully, it doesn't take a lot of manpower to install and deploy."
  • "Well, we had a perpetual license and the renewal was $20 to $25,000."
  • "The enterprise license is good for the SolarWinds Network Device Monitor. However, it is expensive, they should reduce their price."
  • SolarWinds Network Device Monitor Reviews

IT Manager at XYZies
    Easy to use with good monitoring and a straightforward setup
    • "The initial setup is straightforward."
    • "If everything were in the package so that everything was ready to go out of the box, that would be ideal."

What is our primary use case?

Before cementing it into the production environment, we used to test it in a UAC environment - part of which we are using like the NPM. We're using it when we want to monitor certain things. The NPM display perfectly shows the information we need, especially in the threshold configuration. We have a threshold window as well. For example, if memory goes from 50% to 70%, we can set a threshold to get notified.

What is most valuable?

The Network Device Monitor itself is very useful. It's also easy to use.

We like how you can select an individual device and basically, in NPM Network Performance, there are two types of settings. You can discover the devices on auto network discovery. On top of that, you can individually add a device, and if the device is not recognized in the auto-discovery procedure, you can add it manually. You can add MIBs in the Network Device Monitor if the MIBs are not supported.

We are just monitoring a UPS, and the UPS is not supported in SolarWinds NPM, so what we need to do is individually add that device to the Network Device Monitor. We can individually import the MIBs from the vendor and install them into the NDM Network Device Monitor, and that's the beauty of it.

The initial setup is straightforward. It doesn't take long to install everything.

The product is stable.

We can scale the solution if we need to.

What needs improvement?

There were certain aspects that weren't supported exactly. I was just able to monitor some basic things. I also couldn't get the thresholds and the rest of the details. All MIBs and drivers should be in the package when you install it. It would make everything easier. If everything were in the package so that everything was ready to go out of the box, that would be ideal.

It's a pretty heavy product.

I've been using the solution for three to four years.

SolarWinds Network Device Monitor
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about SolarWinds Network Device Monitor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We've never had an issue with stability. It doesn't crash. It's reliable.

We can scale the solution. It has the option of adding to it. You can, for example, add another server. The capacity management is right there. they make it easy.

They do offer good support. We are mostly happy with the level of service. They always give great feedback, which helps in real-world scenarios.

Neutral

It's easy to set up. Implementing the solution is not a problem.

How long it takes to install is totally dependent on the person which is installing the solution. Regarding my experience, I have had a pretty good experience in network devices, so it will hardly take me two to three hours at a maximum to set the Network Device Manager. Obviously, there's a fine-tuning which will take a couple of weeks. You must fine-tune the thresholds, the battery level, and the network device threshold. Fine-tuning will take a couple of weeks. However, adding the network devices will take hardly two to three hours.

It's not difficult to maintain the solution. It's easily accessed from the database. Anyone with a bit of experience with databases can easily handle and maintain this product.

As an implementor, I have implemented the solution for clients many times.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an implementor.

I'd recommend the solution to others. It's a good product.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Motahar Kibriah - PeerSpot reviewer
    Supply Chain Management at MGH Group
    An elaborate solution that fully integrates for easy monitoring and troubleshooting
    • "The solution and its interface are elaborate and fully integrate all monitored items for easy analysis and troubleshooting."
    • "The reporting feature needs improvement because we are unable to configure reports that were included during initial implementation."

What is our primary use case?

Our company uses the solution to monitor all network connectivity throughout the country and provides results to our client's stakeholders.

We have a network topology that establishes a certain set of macros and frameworks throughout our entire organization.

There are 6,000 interfaces that are monitored 24/7/365. The nodes are very sensitive and each has its own service. If a node goes down, we recover it immediately.

What is most valuable?

The solution and its interface are elaborate and fully integrate all monitored items for easy analysis and troubleshooting. We have added all nodes to the system and look at events or problematic alerts to troubleshoot.

The solution is configurable and has many features.

What needs improvement?

The reporting feature needs improvement because we are unable to configure reports that were included during initial implementation. We are aware of features that allow report customization a monthly basis or other duration, but don't often have access to these options.

For example, a filter of interfaces or ATM nodes that have been down for a month does not include all events in the report. We would like to change the report's filters to a very segregated level but cannot because we lack access to the original report.

The data is in the system but we are unable to pull it because reporting is not integrated and versatile. It seems only the engineer who filtered the original report had configuration options.

I have been using the solution for two years.

The solution is stable.

We experience lags because our vendor did not install or configure all of the solution's features.

The solution is scalable.

We plan to scale in the future because customer demand is already large and is growing. By 2025 or 2030, we will need to scale up.

Our company already had the solution in place when I joined the team.

Our VM and other files are open source but we could not install using an open source product due to security issues and checks. We do not take risks, so we chose the solution because it provides protections through its license and connection to a known provider.

The initial setup to monitor 6,000 interfaces was completed before I joined the team.

Current complexities are because the installation vendor did not install all of the solution's features.

Our monitoring department worked with an external team to implement the solution on a server in our data center.

We are planning for future growth so are looking at all options including the solution.

Zabbix and Nagios are open source so are not options for us because we require an authentic and reliable source for services and licenses. Our client's stakeholders feel this is important to ensure the quality and security of the software. For our own employees, the open source solutions are fine.

We are looking at Datadog as an option.

Other products might have the same features but they would have to be comparable in usability and the level of professional service that is provided with the solution.

There is a low probability that we will renew our license for the solution.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, the solution is pretty good.

The user interface is elaborate but a bit complex.

I rate the solution an eight out of ten. I would provide a higher rating but the original configuration did not include all features so that has caused a lag in workflow.

SolarWinds Network Device Monitor
    November 2022
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    MarioMartinez - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Service Delivery Manager at Softtek
    Reseller
    Effective reports, scalable, and simple migration
    • "The most valuable features of SolarWinds Network Device Monitor are the reports. We are configuring the reports, and the first reports are only about the devices. We are configuring the thresholds in order to monitor all the devices."
    • "SolarWinds Network Device Monitor could improve the features. We don't have the complete model for the database, and the monitoring for the database is up and down. We expect that we could monitor the blocking items on the database but we don't have that feature."

What is our primary use case?

We use SolarWinds Network Device Monitor for monitoring and managing IPs. Additionally, we have the IPAM, IP administrator management on SolarWinds, which monitors all the devices and CIs for the servers and network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of SolarWinds Network Device Monitor are the reports. We are configuring the reports, and the first reports are only about the devices. We are configuring the thresholds in order to monitor all the devices.

What needs improvement?

There are a few APIs in order to integrate a solution with SolarWinds Network Device Monitor. For example, with Summit and Cisco Meraki we are trying to integrate them and we are failing. The solution should improve integration.

I have been using SolarWinds Network Device Monitor for approximately five years.

SolarWinds Network Device Monitor is not totally stable. We are considering that we are almost at 90% after this migration. We are still working on some issues with access for all the accounts because we have several roles in order to receive reports. So we are still working on that.

The scalability of the SolarWinds Network Device Monitor is good because you purchase different models.

We are handling approximately 400 devices on the network and approximately 150 devices for the server.

In my contract team, there are 15 people using this solution. In my company, there are more than 1,000 people using it.

One of the large issues is support because our contact doesn't specify SLAs. When we escalate issues, we don't have the support.

The initial SolarWinds Network Device Monitor was easy because we migrated from the on-premise version to the cloud.

I have a team that manages SolarWinds Network Device Monitor. I give advice to my team in order to do configuration, how to handle it, and what kind of reports we have to generate. We are renewing the accounts because we used to have accounts on-premise and now our accounts are on the cloud. When we translate these accounts, we are facing some issues in order to manage how to access to SolarWinds Network Device Monitor. The transferring of accounts should be made easier.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be first to find the specific models in order to receive the correct solution. If you agree with the customer that you will manage the iPad, you have to consider the iPad model. You have to be very clear and very specific on the scope of the monitoring.

I rate SolarWinds Network Device Monitor an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Sr.Network Engineer at NTT Security
    Accurate monitoring, performs faster, and is easy to install
    • "Link monitoring is the most valuable feature of this solution."
    • "In terms of price, it could be less expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We use SolarWinds Network Device Monitor to closely monitor links.

When we use SolarWinds, we conduct a lot of proof-of-concept work, and occasionally we require specific data. We'll set up a trial enrollment at that time and collect the data.

What is most valuable?

Link monitoring is the most valuable feature of this solution.

We can drill down if that particular graph is shown in SolarWinds which is not available in ManageEngine; instead, a five-minute countdown will begin. It will be correct every five minutes to one hour. If you raise the points, the links will be broken. I have approximately 3,000 links. If I increase that interval to one minute, it will consume more of the VMs.

SolarWinds is faster in terms of performance.

The reading it is showing is more accurate, when compared with other monitoring solutions.

What needs improvement?

In terms of price, it could be less expensive.

SolarWinds Network Device Monitor is a stable solution.

I have not scaled SolarWinds Network Device Monitor, I don't have a lot of exposure in this area.

SolarWinds isn't being used correctly. There are only so many licenses available. We only onboard that particular device to SolarWinds when we need to monitor it closely. It's not something we would use on a regular basis. Once or twice a month, for example. It's not something that is used every day, perhaps every 10 to 15 days.

We have not contacted technical support, it is not required in my environment.

SolarWinds Network Device Monitor is the best solution for closely monitoring how the link is performing when compared to ManageEngine OpManager.

When we look at routers, all they show us is some form of bandwidth. SolarWinds displays the same information, however, due to the integrated values in OpManager, on average, it will take five minutes.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was easy to deploy.

I would rate the initial setup a four out of five.

It would be simple for a beginner or intermediate user to deploy everything correctly.

When compared with other solutions SolarWinds is more expensive. We are not fully licensed.

In terms of cost, it's expensive. I would rate it a one out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SolarWinds Network Device Monitor an eight out of ten.

Erick Kahozi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Engineer Coordinator at a mining and metals company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Great alerts and fair pricing but the initial setup is complex
    • "The alerts we are getting when we start losing connection access have been helpful."
    • "The way they are presenting the map of our devices needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used primarily to monitor our network. In real-time, we know when if there's an issue on our network and it helps us to be proactive, to solve the situation.

What is most valuable?

The alerts we are getting when we start losing connection access have been helpful. If a device is starting to get, for example, a higher than normal level of activity or the CPU starts to increase there is an alert. The alert is the most beneficial for us.

The pricing isn't too bad.

It's been stable.

What needs improvement?

The way they are presenting the map of our devices needs to be improved.

The initial setup is complex.

I've been using the solution for about three years.

My impression of stability is mostly good, however, I'm open to seeing how it works and if it gives us acceptable performance for what we are doing. So far, we are impressed with that solution. That said, it can allow us to run more, and do more.

I can't speak to scalability. We haven't tried to scale.

Mostly, just engineers are on the solution.

We have a person in-house that will bring issues to our attention, and if we need to, we will escalate to support.

Neutral

The initial setup is a bit complex. It's not for anyone who is a beginner to work in the products to do it. It's a bit longer to start uploading the new nodes on the software.

I'd rate the solution a two out of five in terms of ease of use.

The deployment takes about 15 to 20 minutes.

At most, we need five people to deploy and maintain the product.

We did not use a third party to help us set everything up. We handled the implementation in-house.

The pricing is okay. I would rate it a three out of five.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users.

I'd advise potential new users that, before using the device, they need to prepare and get some training on the device before using it.

I would rate the solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Nelson Saravia - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Business Project Manager at Bonsai System Ltda
    Lets us monitor how our data moves around and supports us well with troubleshooting
    • "In terms of general network monitoring features, I find SolarWinds Network Device Monitor very flexible and comfortable to use. The software itself is extremely useful when it comes to monitoring how our data moves between different networks and environments."
    • "Although I haven't explored all of the features available, I wouldn't mind if the software were made to be a bit more customizable."

What is our primary use case?

In my line of work, I am responsible for the remote monitoring of sensors, such as temperature sensors and various others, for customers in the industrial sector. Along with sensor monitoring, we also deal with PLC technology and MIDS as they pertain to industrial equipment such as pumps and electrical equipment.

I use SolarWinds Network Device Monitor for monitoring the equipment remotely over the internet such as via LTE. To be clear, we only use it for monitoring the switching and routing of the network devices. For similar types of monitoring, but more to do with PLCs and the MIDS, we also utilize a solution called PRTG.

What is most valuable?

I especially like that I can set alert thresholds that get sent to me via email when certain conditions are met. These show me whenever there are any problems and they are very effective in helping us troubleshoot them.

What needs improvement?

Although I haven't explored all of the features available, I wouldn't mind if the software were made to be a bit more customizable.

I have been using SolarWinds Network Device Monitor for approximately two years.

It has been reliable in my experience of it.

I have not used SolarWinds' product as extensively as the other product we are using (PRTG) but I do plan to apply SolarWinds Network Device Monitor to more customers in the future.

So far it hasn't been necessary for me to contact their support team, due to its overall ease of use and ease of installation.

It's very easy to set up and deploy.

Thankfully, it doesn't take a lot of manpower to install and deploy.

What other advice do I have?

I have partners in the electrical industry and my recommendation to them is always to go with either SolarWinds or PRTG when it comes to remote monitoring. Of course, it can be useful in other industries, too. It's very good software.

I would rate SolarWinds Network Device Monitor a nine out of ten.

SVP/Director of Information Technology at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
    Usable dashboards, good mapping, and has solid technical support
    • "I like the mapping that you could do and the dashboards were very pretty."
    • "The security needs improvement, which is why we are moving away from Solar Winds. We have security concerns."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for network monitoring, SNMP, WMI, queries against services, and occasionally for certain devices that have stopped, we would restart services.

What is most valuable?

I like the mapping that you could do and the dashboards were very pretty.

We created dashboards that would provide visibility. We could look at a site and at the surface and we would be able to tell if there was anything going on.

Overall, it is a good user experience and the dashboards are very usable.

What needs improvement?

I don't recall seeing a lot of tagging.

The setup was all linear. For example, if there was an outage, things had to be set up in a certain way to not create a deluge of emails or alerts.

The security needs improvement, which is why we are moving away from SolarWinds. We have security concerns.

They had a major malfunction, and they were compromised back in January of the year before last. They have had a whole series of vulnerabilities that they keep releasing and we are a financial company and they have supply chain issues and vulnerability issues that just seem to keep coming up.

I have been dealing with SolarWinds Network Device Monitor for 10 years.

We are working with the latest version. It is all up-to-date.

It's a stable solution. I don't have any issues with the stability of SolarWinds Network Device Monitor.

We didn't have any issues with scalability. We're a small shop.

Technical support is very good. Technical support was always solid.

The initial setup was 10 years ago, but I don't recall it being difficult.

We had a perpetual license and the renewal was $20,000 to $25,000.It probably cost us $80,000. We just purchased more and more components over the years.

There are additional costs because there are a lot of pieces to it.

We're currently evaluating other solutions, as we are moving away from SolarWinds.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, it's a good solution but it's expensive.

I would rate SolarWinds Network Device Monitor an eight out of ten.

ANIS QURESHI - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Specialist- IT Systems Management at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Effective proactive approach, beneficial device degradation detection, but more customization needed
    • "The most valuable feature of SolarWinds Network Device Monitor is it shows you the utilization of devices to allow you to take proactive action before something goes down or reaches the saturation point. You can take proactive action to fix the problem before it occurs."
    • "SolarWinds Network Device Monitor could improve by being more user-friendly. The network has so many features which make it difficult to find how to configure how to use it. It is not simple to customize."

What is our primary use case?

SolarWinds Network Device Monitor can detect if devices are down or have degraded their performance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of SolarWinds Network Device Monitor is it shows you the utilization of devices to allow you to take proactive action before something goes down or reaches the saturation point. You can take proactive action to fix the problem before it occurs.

What needs improvement?

In an upcoming release of the solution, they should make it a bit faster in performance because there are high resources being used to receive reports and for some configuration.

I have been using SolarWinds Network Device Monitor for approximately six years.

The stability of the SolarWinds Network Device Monitor is good. However, it uses a lot of resources.

SolarWinds Network Device Monitor is a scalable solution. We can add users without a problem.

We have approximately 20 people in our operations team using the solution.

I have used the support from SolarWinds Network Device Monitor.

I rate the support from SolarWinds Network Device Monitor a four out of five.

Positive

The initial setup of the SolarWinds Network Device Monitor is easy. The deployment time depends on the number of devices. However, it can be done in one day.

The enterprise license is good for the SolarWinds Network Device Monitor. However, it is expensive, they should reduce their price.

We did some comparisons before we started using SolarWinds Network Device Monitor and we chose it because we have easy access to local support. Additionally, we can easily receive support online.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is they should try the solution out.

I rate SolarWinds Network Device Monitor a seven out of ten.

Download our free SolarWinds Network Device Monitor Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022