IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect is #8 ranked solution in SD-WAN tools and top WAN Edge tools. PeerSpot users give Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect is most commonly compared to Cisco SD-WAN: Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect vs Cisco SD-WAN. Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Software Defined WAN (SD-WAN) Solutions Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect?

Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect is a complete, high-performance SD-WAN solution that enables service providers to quickly and cost-effectively bring new, differentiated, managed SD-WAN services to market to expand market reach, create new revenue streams and deliver SD-WAN services with SLAs in and out-of-region.

Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect was previously known as Unity EdgeConnect.

Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect Customers
Aramex, Clair, Ascent, First Bank, Harley-Davidson
Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect Video

Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect pricing:
  • "You typically will license the hardware and you license the software to access the hardware capabilities. The price will range anywhere from a hundred to $300 a month. There are no additional costs."
  • "The licensing fees depend on the bandwidth. As an example of what we charge our customers, for 100MB without Boost, the price is approximately $2,000. That includes the licensing and the unit."
  • "There is an annual license required to use Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect."
  • "The pricing for this product is good."
  • "The license for Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect is paid annually."
  • Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect Reviews

IT Executive Leader / Innovator at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
    Has enabled considerable money savings and reduction in traffic
    • "We had several clients that were paying $7,500 a month for an MPLS line for one single 10 megabit circuit and we were able to take that from $7,500 a month down to $500 a month for two 10 megabits circuits that added redundancy where before they did not have redundancy and it gave them a much better throughput."
    • "Their WAN optimization in terms of wireless connectivity doesn't have a very good cellular capability."

What is our primary use case?

The use cases are pretty broad simply because we were optimizing the network and the use case if a site had multiple MPLS locations or they were paying for MPLS point to point connections. The main use case was to eliminate the MPLS through the primary carrier, like AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile. We would identify all of those use cases where any site that was leveraging a service called Aryaka which was a whole mesh network. We were removing all of that and migrating to Silver Peak over the internet.

How has it helped my organization?

Once we had a site where we were using Orchestrator and Unity Edge and we would see the traffic come up. Once we would put in the appropriate change controls and migrate the traffic over from the MPLS, we would see a reduction in traffic by up to 40% between what the MPLS connection was with the new internet Silver Peak connection was using. Companies that had a 10 megabit line that they were using on MPLS would essentially not get a full 10 megabit throughput. When we migrated it over to Silver Peak, given that Silver Peak did acceleration, deduplication, and traffic mapping, we would see a significant improvement in not only the usage of bandwidth but also the deduplication of data that did not need to traverse the wide-area network.

We had several clients that were paying $7,500 a month for an MPLS line for one single 10 megabit circuit and we were able to take that from $7,500 a month down to $500 a month for two 10 megabits circuits that added redundancy where before they did not have redundancy and it gave them a much better throughput. That was using a standard MPLS line. We put in two 10 megabit internet circuits and put Silver Peak on them and then removed the MPLS circuit. That took their bill from $7,500 a month down to $500 a month.

That's why as soon as we did that and we showed some of our other internal clients what could be achieved, everybody wanted to be first. After that, the flood gates opened and we were up and running.

There were router replacements where some sites might've needed to upgrade their router infrastructure with Silver Peak, you didn't need to do that because it could also function as a mini router.

There were considerable money savings.

What needs improvement?

Their WAN optimization in terms of wireless connectivity doesn't have a very good cellular capability. I know of another company that does a much better job called Peplink. I have not specifically used Peplink but I am hearing from a lot of my clients who say Peplink has a great product and does things similar to the way Silver Peak does, but they had a better EdgeConnect type of device that functions very well on cellular connectivity.

I have been using Unity EdgeConnect for four years and we have it deployed to 300 locations over the globe.  It is an encrypted piece of hardware so make SURE you follow correct guidelines for exporting the technology outside the USA.

Software Defined WAN (SD-WAN) Solutions
    July 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Aruba Networks, Cisco, Fortinet and others in Software Defined WAN (SD-WAN) Solutions. Updated: July 2022.
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's very stable. Out of the 500 devices that we shipped all over the world, we had one that had something wrong with it. It was a hardware failure and we sent it back to Silver Peak and they shipped us another one. And they were back up and running within a week.

Scalability is there. We would buy 500 devices at a time and I spent about four and a half million dollars and they could roll those out in a couple of weeks. The ability to turn it around from Silver Peak to the client was very fast.

The solution was very scalable because the WAN optimization and a Unity EdgeConnect devices would handle anything up to the level of a data center. Boost was the ability to scale up and down performance capabilities from a data center, from the large site in seconds. The scalability of the product is good from a hardware perspective through all of their Edge devices.

There are plans to increase usage. This was deemed one of the most successful projects that we deployed and every new site that comes online gets one of these Silver Peak devices.

Their technical support is very good. They are very responsive. If we had a call or sent an email in, we would typically get at least an acknowledgment within four hours. They worked with us on many occasions when we saw where improvements could be. They were very adept at looking at what we were trying to do. Especially when it comes to application performance and availability capabilities, they were very open. I would give them a high rating, a very positive rating for their customer service and support.

There was a huge business case that I wrote to replace the Aryaka mesh network and Aryaka did not like that at all. As a matter of fact, three CEOs called me trying to convince me not to do that, but the Aryaka business case just didn't fit the company I was with anymore. We did replace all of our Aryaka sites with Silver Peak.

The primary reasons that we replaced it were because of cost and performance on the network. Aryaka would not do any traffic shaping or traffic management through a wide area network. If you were contracted to have a 10 megabit line and your traffic got up to 10 megabits or maybe spiked and went over say by 11 or 12 megabits, they would just drop your packets. They would not try to resend them. They would not try to buffer them. They just dropped them. We showed them that on several occasions. They refused to acknowledge that they would drop the packets, but we showed them several sites where we said, look, you see here, here are the packet snippers we're watching every packet that goes, here's one that's going through your device, and all of a sudden it drops. They never came back with a solution or a workaround or anything. So we had to get off of this. It's not worth it. We replaced also several NPLS connections from AT&T.

The process was very straightforward for the initial setup. It was so straightforward, even I could do one. And for executive management to be able to do an implementation is saying a lot.

The setup was very straightforward in that connecting the hardware is three wires - four wires if you include a power cable. So once you have the unit, what we term "rack and stack" and we would send pictures to the site and it didn't have to be an IT person to plug this in. We would show them that exactly this color cable goes in this slot, this color cable goes in that slot and then turn it on. And as soon as it's on, then we'll take it from there. And my team would finish the setups, but the site needed to have a public IP address, which was typically not an issue. And then once we configured the site and tested the traffic over it was almost plug and play. Very rarely did we have any special kinds of troubleshooting. If we were not told all of the IP address ranges that a site typically had, then that could have been an issue. But once you've learned that and you've written down the lessons learned for it, we never had that issue again because we would make sure that the sites would tell us every IP address range so that we would not miss any IP addresses that needed to go through the Silver Peak device.

It was very straightforward and we could start reporting on a site what their current bandwidth was, what their traffic speed was when they're getting a full 10 megabit per second or what was the degree of deduplication and traffic shaping that was being done. Sometimes I would talk to the application developers and say, look, your application is constantly doing this and sending huge amounts of data over the WAN; how about if you didn't do that and redo your application to be more efficient in the data transmissions. A lot of them did that and that to me was a kind of an offshoot benefit. It allows you to be able to look at inefficient applications that need to be written in a much more SDLC format.

The deployment would predominantly take roughly three to four days to bring a site online. That was once the equipment was on-site and we had a site contact who could unbox the machine, unbox the box, rack it and stack it and power it up and then we would get it configured and then it would be ready for traffic for testing. So I'd say it would take about a week.

You typically will license the hardware and you license the software to access the hardware capabilities. The price will range anywhere from a hundred to $300 a month. There are no additional costs.

The additional cost that is needed would be the internet costs. Since most companies, most site locations already have an internet connection. That's a cost that has to be included as part of the cost of Silver Peak.

What other advice do I have?

Out of the 2.7 million that we saved over two years about half came from MPLS and half came from Aryaka savings.

Silver Peak needs to come up with a 5G solution. They are clearly the leader in the SDWAN software-defined networking for wide area networks. When you're shipping outside of a domestic you well better have your paperwork and documentation set properly. Otherwise, you are going to get in trouble with the government which is typically the United States and the government that you're sending the device to. If you're sending one to France, Germany, anywhere in Europe, there have very strict trade requirements and regulations that have to be filed. And I would dare say that the majority of the companies that are dealing with this now are not in compliance.

My advice to someone considering this solution would be to understand what your sites are doing. If they already have public IP addresses or if they don't, they need to get. If they have point to point, they need to look at what their current level of redundancy is. Many of the sites that we went through had only a single external connection to the internet or to a hub provider, like AT&T, a carrier they need to have, and it's cheap enough now to have two distinct lines such that in the event one line goes down, they're not completely down. They can still have some level of redundancy.

I would rate it nine out of ten.

Country Manager at Gilat Satellite Networks
    An end-to-end solution that is simple to use and supports asymmetric lines
    • "The most valuable feature is the support for asymmetric lines."
    • "The security can be improved, with the firewall for example, because they supply a basic one but not a UTM."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider that uses satellite communications to offer solutions that are built using products from multiple vendors. We call our product SD-WAN Max and it includes applications from vendors such as Silver Peak, Fortinet, and others to help customers best leverage their options.

Unity EdgeConnect is one of the products that make up SD-WAN Max.

Our customers include enterprises that are managing their HQ and ISPs.

How has it helped my organization?

EdgeConnect is the component of our solution that makes it manageable.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the support for asymmetric lines.

This is the only end-to-end solution, where you can have multiple links. It allows you to manage everything inside your SD-WAN. With other solutions, it is more difficult to manage both sides.

This product is very simple to use.

It supports zero-touch provisioning.

What needs improvement?

The security can be improved, with the firewall for example, because they supply a basic one but not a UTM. This is why you always need another product to go with it, such as one by Fortinet or Check Point.

We would like to see a VPN included.

We have been working with EdgeConnect for three years.

We have been running EdgeConnect for the last few years on a daily basis and we have no problems with stability.

It is very easy to scale. One of our customers is a telecommunication company that has 80 million people surfing the internet through this product.

The technical support is very efficient. In the few times that we have needed to contact them, we were given answers immediately.

The initial setup is simple.

Our in-house team takes care of implementation and deployment.

We have four people in the company who are experts with this product, and they can do anything with it. In addition, we have another six who handle the management and monitoring, but use other products in addition to it.

We tried solutions by three vendors before we selected EdgeConnect. For example, we tried to use Riverbed but it did not work for us. The problem has to do with load balancing and managing traffic.

We have one link that is 2GB with 800 milliseconds, and the second one is 1GB with 200 milliseconds. The other vendors were not able to handle these connections.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing EdgeConnect is not to try doing it alone. Select a good partner because there are many things that you have to know and need to be considered. It is an easy solution, but there are limitations that you have to be aware of.

Overall, this is a good product but if they had UTM then it would be great.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Software Defined WAN (SD-WAN) Solutions
    July 2022
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Country Manager at Gilat Satellite Networks
    Useful Boost feature, scalable, and quiet

What is our primary use case?

We use Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect for three use cases.

We have deployed it in a bank customer for a VPN over the internet for a backup to the MPS.

We use it for managing satellite microwave and fiber connections with different latencies in the same location.

In a multi-branch enterprise, we used the solution for two links on each site with other links together all aggregated in one network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect is the boost.

I have been using Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect for approximately five years.

The stability of Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect is very good and quiet.

Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect is scalable.

I have many clients using Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect but they do not know they are using my service.

The support from Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect has declined since Aruba acquired them. The knowledge and speed of the agents could improve.

I need to transfer units between customers. Most of the issues that I have with the support are with licensing. It is difficult and always takes time.

The initial setup of Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect is straightforward. The full setup of one customer network on the 14 branches took us approximately 48 hours. This includes the installation of hardware, other solutions, and the installation switches on the branches

We used an integrator for the implementation of Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect.

There is an annual license required to use Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect.

What other advice do I have?

As an integrator, I recommend Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect. However, it does depend on the use case.

I rate Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect a nine out of ten.

MohamedArshath - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Infrastructure Engineer at ATMC
    Good data reduction capabilities, alleviates network congestion, and helpful support
    • "The file and data reduction capabilities are very good. Without it, we have a great deal of network congestion."
    • "We would like to have better features for path selection. For example, if we know the network is going to go down then we would like to set up an alternate route for data packets in real-time."

What is our primary use case?

We have one of these files servers in each of our branch offices. It hosts our Oracle database, which is replicated from our main site to the DR site.

It also hosts our VMware vSphere solution.

What is most valuable?

The file and data reduction capabilities are very good. Without it, we have a great deal of network congestion.

The monitoring integration is good. Generally, the compatibility with other products is good.

What needs improvement?

The firewall should be enhanced because the one that is included is very limited in terms of features.

In the organization, Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect has been used for approximately six years.

This is a stable product.

This product has scaled according to our needs. We have approximately 200 users.

The technical support is very good and I am satisfied with it.

We don't speak with the vendor directly. Rather, we deal with a distributor and we have a good relationship with their support team. We can call and reach them at any time.

The pricing for this product is good.

As Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect is nearing end-of-life, our license with it is expiring and we are procuring a new solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Country Manager at Gilat Satellite Networks
    High availability, good support, but licensing model could improve
    • "Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect has high availability."
    • "The license features should improve in the solution. For example, when you purchase VMware, it starts at a low level that has some functionality. When you want to expand, the difference in the price is substantial. I purchased the lower functional version for $4,000, and now if I want to upgrade, they ask me for $80,000. This is a $76,000 difference, there's no logic, but this is VMware."

What is our primary use case?

Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect is used to manage VMware.

I have been using Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect for approximately two years.

Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect has high availability.

The scalability of Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect is good. You can create a cluster and deploy more VMs.

This solution is only used by approximately three administrators.

I have not used the support from Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect.

The initial setup of Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect is not straightforward. It took us approximately four hours to deploy.

We are integrators, we did the implementation of Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect ourselves.

The license for Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect is paid annually.

The license features should improve in the solution. For example, when you purchase VMware, it starts at a low level that has some functionality. When you want to expand, the difference in the price is substantial. I purchased the lower functional version for $4,000, and now if I want to upgrade, they ask me for $80,000. This is a $76,000 difference, there's no logic, but this is VMware.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is before they implement the solution they should have the knowledge of how to use it.

I rate Silver Peak Unity EdgeConnect a seven out of ten.

Download our free Software Defined WAN (SD-WAN) Solutions Report and find out what your peers are saying about Aruba Networks, Cisco, Fortinet, and more!
    Updated: July 2022