Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Silk Test OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Silk Test is #11 ranked solution in top Regression Testing Tools, #16 ranked solution in top Test Automation Tools, and #19 ranked solution in top Functional Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Silk Test an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Silk Test is most commonly compared to Micro Focus UFT One: Silk Test vs Micro Focus UFT One. Silk Test is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Functional Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Silk Test?
SilkTest is robust and portable test automation for web, native, and enterprise software applications. Silk Test's portability enables users to test applications more effectively with lower complexity and cost in comparison to other functional testing tools on the market. Silk Test's role based testing enables business stakeholders, QA engineers, and developers to contribute to the whole automation testing process, which drives collaboration and increases the effectiveness of software testing.

Silk Test was previously known as Segue, SilkTest, Micro Focus Silk Test.

Silk Test Customers
Krung Thai Computer Services, Quality Kiosk, Mªller, AVG Technologies
Silk Test Video

Archived Silk Test Reviews (more than two years old)

Malli Bharathi M - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Service Delivery Manager Testing and RPA at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
An easy to use interface with a recording feature that our business users are happy with
  • "The major thing it has helped with is to reduce the workload on testing activities."
  • "The support for automation with iOS applications can be better."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is regression testing which is done every month end. We have a management cycle specific for SAP where a few changes will be moving to prediction. There are approximately one to two hundred scenarios where that needs to be executed. Our regression test makes sure that the functionality is not being affected at any point in time.

We also use it for automation testing in non-SAP projects that have problems internally detected by our team.

How has it helped my organization?

The major thing it has helped with is to reduce the workload on testing activities. This was the major reason for going with Silk Test. The people are happy using it and the end results are provided in a short span of time.

Our deployment process is not very long, where one automated process takes approximately one to two weeks to complete a six hundred step manual test case.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the recording capability, which is something that the business users can start learning and using in a day. The technical people are not really required to use this. It is quite simple and easy.

This user interface is quite easy and something that everybody is able to follow.

It has a feature that saves the previous version so it is easy for deployment to just move the current version to the production environment.

What needs improvement?

The product has a lot of features, but many of the clients do not know how it can improve their productivity. Information on how these features can be used would be helpful.

The support for automation with iOS applications can be better.

Functional Testing Tools
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, SeleniumHQ, SmartBear and others in Functional Testing Tools. Updated: September 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Four years.

I have been using Silk Test since version 15. When I used it, it was a really good solution but there is still a lot that can be improved.

It is quite scalable and this has to do with the licensing. It is not a tedious process.

We use this solution internally with the IT team, of which there are twelve to fifteen members. They perform all of the necessary actions and changes, and the reports will be shared globally with the top management.

We do plan to increase our usage. Just recently we procured an additional twenty-four licenses and have seen the benefits. In the future, I foresee that we may purchase licenses for an additional thirty users.

With respect to technical support, anytime we have reached them and received a ticket, we get a response within twenty-four hours. It's quite good, and in cases where they were not able to clarify they reschedule our call based on a convenient time.

We had been using Panaya four to five years ago, and we want to bring that back since our business users are comfortable with it.

I have used SAP TAO previously but that was in another organization. We used it as a build automation tool for UFT. Silk Test is a simpler tool that I retrained myself to use.

The initial setup was straightforward because the vendor, Micro Focus, really helped us in setting up the environment. It was not too complex.

With respect to the deployment, two or three people can handle it. The developer is the one who is responsible for all of the source code management, and the admin takes responsibility for the deployment. These two roles are more than enough for this implementation.

We used the vendor, Micro Focus, for the implementation. They gave us two or three weeks of training, which was good. Initially, they supported us, and we didn't go for any external support.

Our deployment took around two to three weeks. We implemented a role-based strategy with restricted access so that not everybody will have access to the files.

Our licensing fees are on a yearly basis, and while I think that the price is quite reasonable I am not allowed to share those details.

Before choosing this solution there were a few other products that were evaluated. Some of these were Worksoft Certify and SAP TAO. The latter was evaluated for a second time, but we still chose the Silk Test solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend implementing this solution but make sure to get the necessary authorization. Ask about the service assistant and check with the other users as well.

You have to make sure that you get all of the deliverables that have been maintained in the statement of work that has been described, otherwise, you might miss something and get into trouble. It's better to look at the agreement, see what the deliverables are and make sure that everything has been completed before they hand it over. Otherwise, it will be a really difficult problem to handle.

The features that are currently available are useful for everyone, but there are a lot of improvements that they need to do. The basic functionality to support artificial intelligence is there, but it can still be improved.

Hi Malli!

Thank you very much for your review!
I have some questions left:
1. If you guys liked Panaya and want to change back to it, why do you prefer it over Silk Test?
2. What Silk Test client did you use? (Silk4j, Silkl4NET, Silk Workbench)
3. You said, there is a lot that could be improved. What exactly did you refer to, if you can say that?
4. If the support re-scheduled a call, how long did you have to wait to receive an answer then? More than one day?

SrinivasPakala - PeerSpot reviewer
Performance and Security (SAST & DAST) Test Engineering Manager at CGI
Stable, with good statistics and detailed reporting available
  • "The statistics that are available are very good."
  • "Everything is very manual. It's up to us to find out exactly what the issues are."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for performance testing. It can also handle capacity planning on web applications.

Silk Test is a tool with which we can simulate the number of users, and with that, ramp up and ramp down strategies that we can design. Based on the load model we can design performance tests for our applications. On top of it we can do configurations.

We test the solution to PPS. For example, we test how many PPS transactions per second will be simulated on Silk Test. We can find out how much time testing will take. You can integrate various performance tests, which typically takes one hour. We can do stress tests, and, within an hour, we can then test it. Sometimes, we help test the tool for as long as 36 hours to see how exactly the application can be implemented, in case of any memory loss.

When we did the applications related to performance, we design the load normally. When we try to understand the various critical performance test scenarios, using Silk Test, we record them. Afterward, we handle the configurations.

According to the results, we trigger. Once we trigger data, we try to observe the behavior of the application, as the tool now simulates the load. We look at the responsiveness and note that the response times are getting increased.

We also try to see what kind of behavior changes are happening within the application. We'll look at whether the hardware resources of the application are going up, or if memory is going down. We look for problems or memory loss.

Once we've finished testing, and observe everything, we'll try to do our engineering and work to uncover loopholes that may impact the application's performance. Everything will be recorded and investigated. We'll explain our findings to stakeholders and explain what needs to be done going forward.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The statistics that are available are very good.

The solution offers very good detailed reports.

It's excellent for testing an application's performance levels.

What needs improvement?

While we are performance testing the engineering key, we need to come up with load strategies to commence the test. We'll help to monitor the test, and afterward, we'll help to make all the outcomes, and if they are new, we'll do lots and lots of interpretation and analysis across various servers, to look at response times, and impact. For example, whatever the observations we had during the test, we need to implement it. We'll have to help to catch what exactly is the issues were, and we'll help to see how they can be reduced.

The solution needs better monitoring, especially of CPU.

I've been doing performance testing for, I would estimate, 10 or more years now.

The stability of the solution is good. We haven't had any issues, and even if we're stuck, the solution's team will support us and help us overcome any issues we're having in relation to stability. For us, stability is not a problem.

The technical support is very good. If we're ever stuck, and we do sometimes get stuck on a few things, they're able to reply to us in a timely manner and their advice is quite good. We've been satisfied with the level of support we've been given.

To set up Silk Test, you have to take the licenses of the product and configure them onto your server. From there, you can install Silk Test. You should have access to the applications which you are going to test.

In terms of the application manuals, the application needs to be performance tested from various IP's. Other than that, it's a simple, straightforward installation.

Deployment takes about a month.

We help our clients implement the solution on their servers.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is a good solution, and, in certain cases, I would recommend it. However, it's not always necessary for certain organizations.

Silk Performer is very good. I don't have any complaints about Silk Performer. Before using any Silk product, however, it's a good idea to do a proof of concept.

I'd advise that, for the web applications, users maybe spend some time Googleing information about it. That way you'll see what it looks like and maybe begin to understand it a bit better. It's more or less straight forward and simple. However, if it's for a Windows application, definitely Silk Test is the best there is.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Functional Testing Tools
September 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Programme Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good keyword management but lacks compatibility, and could improve stability
  • "The scalability of the solution is quite good. You can easily expand the product if you need to."
  • "The solution has a lack of compatibility with newer technologies."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is generally a framework for test functional automation. We use it for automation of web applications for the most part.

What is most valuable?

The Silk4J feature is the solution's most valuable aspect. With it, you can write custom Java code.

You can also use keywords by uploading them and users are easily able to manage the keywords themselves.

What needs improvement?

The solution has a lack of compatibility with newer technologies.

When tests are recorded on to Silk Central, there is a bit of a lack of clarity in terms of what needs to be fed into Silk Central and how the test cases and reports are all managed.

The solution should make it easier to schedule our test cases during out of office hours.

We want the solution to allow us to do more of API level integrations.

I've been using the solution for a year and a half.

At the moment, when we are trying to use this tool, we are finding quite a few compatibility issues between the tool and the applications on the test. We wouldn't consider it perfectly stable for that reason.

The initial setup is straightforward. We didn't find it complex at all. Deployment took about 30 minutes in our case.

We handled the initial setup completely on our own. We didn't need the help of outside consultants or vendors.

What other advice do I have?

We are not using the latest version of the solution. We are most likely using a version that is the version before the latest one.

If I were to rate the solution out of ten, I'd give it about a five. It's the new kid on the block. It still needs to improve a lot.

Arno Krause - PeerSpot reviewer
Delivery Lead Testing at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers a single frame of reporting across all the various tests but the setup is stressful
  • "The feature I like most is the ease of reporting."
  • "The pricing is an issue, the program is very expensive. That is something that can improve."

What is our primary use case?

We predominantly use the solution for network performance testing. We are currently deploying a solution to various countries in Africa, so we're predominantly using it for current applications.

What is most valuable?

The feature I like most is the ease of reporting. One gets a single frame of reporting across all the various tests. The program is very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

We've been using Microsoft Silk Test for about five years now.

In my opinion the program is very stable.

We currently have 23 users who are all quality control testers, and I believe the program is fairly simple to scale.

We've had our ups and downs using the program but the technical support is okay and I am happy with it.

The initial setup was fairly simple but quite stressful. It's supposed to support the strategy but as soon as you know what you're doing, it becomes easier.

What other advice do I have?

Overall it is a good tool to use. We just need to get somebody in our company that can use it to its fullest extent and uses it in a piecemeal fashion. In the next release, I would like to see easy integration into other tools like Tosca and ALD Suite and to become the master. And I know everybody says they can do it, but I would like to be the master of masters. The ultimate one. I will rate this program seven out of ten simply because I would never give a product a ten.

Bhaskar - PeerSpot reviewer
BhaskarCEO at Thought Frameworks Inc
User

It is microfocus SilkTest, not Microsoft Silk Test

Ray Andrews - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at Traydaht ltd
Adding users to the database is straightforward but the solution takes a while to understand
  • "The ability to develop scripts in Visual Studio, Visual Studio integration, is the most valuable feature."
  • "They should extend some of the functions that are a bit clunky and improve the integration."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The integration of the object library can be improved. It's a bit clunky.

It also has some commands that are difficult to use sometimes. We work around its deficiencies and forget that it's a deficiency.

I have been using it for around six to seven years.

If you use it inside Visual Studio, it is very stable. If it's not in Visual Studio, there are a lot of components to test. There are about ten different ways for it to be used. It's quite stable.

Adding users into the database is straightforward. There are local limits that have to be managed which means you have to have a centrally deployed database. We have around ten users using this solution. They're all professional test automators.

Technical support is very responsive. They'll get back to you quickly. They fix the issue in a manageable timeframe. They get back to you quickly and intend to work carefully with you. Silk Test support has always been and continues to be very good.

The difficulty of the integration will depend on whether you are using it as a single user or as a part of a community of users. Integrating for a single user is very simple. If you use it as a part of a community of users you have to understand the SQL setup. It's a little bit more difficult.

Single user deployment will take around five minutes. The best way to use it is with a central database so lots of people can use it. You have to structure the database and your projects carefully. It's not straight out of the box. You have to do a lot of thinking about how the products and projects are structured in the database.

What other advice do I have?

The product is very good and I would recommend it. You should make sure that it works with the technology you're testing. Some technologies have very particular functionality and methods of delivering that functionality. You have to make sure that it's compatible otherwise you will always be trying to work around it.

The Silk Test community of users is quite small. You need to find people who are experienced with Silk Test or take QFT or UFT users and cross-train them. They're not a huge community of users. You have to be careful about who you put on the products and make sure they are well versed in the product you use. Once you know how to use it, it's great but there is a bit of a learning curve.

I would rate it a seven out of ten. I give it this rating because it does not have a big community of users and because it takes a while to understand it. In order to get the full benefits, you have to be a good scripter or coder. It's not for the fainthearted but once you get it, it's great.

DavidShephard - PeerSpot reviewer
DavidShephardPeer-to-Peer Program Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees

Hello Ray, I've gathered a few thoughts from the Micro Focus Silk Product Team:
Firstly they all thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Silk Test. Regarding the object library, this is an area that has benefited from recent enhancements and with the latest version of Silk Test (https://www.microfocus.com/documentation/silk-test/st-latest), you may benefit as well from an even better integration experience. In order to facilitate user adoption, and in particular the management of different projects, it has been our goal to build the Silk Test SDK to perform similarly across all supported technologies (Silk Test 20.0 - Release Notes - https://www.microfocus.com/documentation/silk-test/200/en/silktest-releasenotes-en.pdf). On the other hand, we do also include specific commands via extended classes that you may find helpful. Some have found these to be more advanced in nature, but they do provide a powerful API with which to test an application (please see Class Reference for more detail - http://documentation.microfocus.com/help/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.borland.silktest.jtf.javadoc%2Fjavadoc%2Fen%2Foverview-summary.html). Also, for connecting with other like-minded Silk Test users like yourself, we are proud to highlight the Micro Focus Silk Test Online Community (https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Silk-Test/ct-p/SilkTest). This is a free resource which many have found to be helpful. Lastly, we also encourage you to contact Support (https://www.microfocus.com/en-us/products/silk-test/contact) to discuss any of the commands that you may find difficult to use and/or how we might be able to improve them. Thank you again for sharing your feedback, and we appreciate both your long-term usage of Silk Test and your recommendation.

it_user739686 - PeerSpot reviewer
QA Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
OCR recognition and integration with IE are advantages but needs better integration with other tools

What is most valuable?

The OCR recognition is great, way over Sikulix or Robot Framework. I also like the fact that the integration with IE works great.

The KDT implementation seems to be pretty stable and easy to use, out of the box.

How has it helped my organization?

No, I can't, since we've not implemented this for anything but that evaluation task / proof of concept.

What needs improvement?

• Implementing integration with IntelliJ IDEA, since it's a way better IDE compared to Eclipse, in my opinion.
  • Implementing a better integration with Git. It was extremely painful to implement the link from Silk Central to Git. I couldn't do it with a self-signed certificate implementation of Git, such as the one we use within our organization.
  • Improve integration with Maven and Gradle.
  • Since I create KDT files locally, I am expecting they get uploaded / visible within Silk Central. Actually, I had to rebuild all of the KDT scenarios on the Silk Central machine. This turns out to be a huge overhead - syncing is also a huge pain with Git.

One month evaluation task for a client that had specifically requested this tool for web, desktop, mobile automation. The client had used this for many years in his organisation and wanted to add more resources.

None that I can think of. I had some issues related to Chrome, but that's something I had also encountered previously, in the Selenium world.

This was not the case for the short time we'd used this.

Since we only evaluated, we only used was the online documentation. That was useful I believe. Can't say anything about email / call-center, since I haven't used it.

Yes, we've used Maven / Gradle frameworks with Selenium + Java with TestNG/ReportNG, Cucumber, JBehave, Serenity BDD, and we've run these frameworks through Git/GitHub/BitBucket/Stash into Jenkins. We've used this for UI, SOAP API, REST API, and DB testing.

While I can't say that the setup was complex, the integration with Silk Central / Git was particularly painful, especially due to the fact that the fields in Silk Central have weird naming that don't sound identical to the naming used by Git/GitHub repos.

I don't know, we used an evaluation version. It would be a good option for a project that required desktop automation, maybe my first option, over QTP / UFT.

This project specifically required Silk Test, so there was no prior evaluation from our side.

What other advice do I have?

Don't be afraid to try it since it's an extremely powerful tool, but be patient and call the tech help desk for support. Also, post your findings online for others to help or get help.

Consultant at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
SilkTest is a nice tool to work with but the recorded code is somewhat ugly

I have known Borland as a company for a long time yet in the past 10 years have not really worked with any of their tools. A short summary of how they see themselves:

With Silk Test, there’s no need to understand coding so even non-technical people like your business analysts can build tests and get fully involved. This 13.5 release also breaks new ground by working with all the latest browsers, so a single script is all you need.

Well, there are some issues with that statement of course, cause a single script is always doomed to fail in the most horrid ways imaginable, but still, SilkTest is a nice tool to work with.

The good

The reason for looking at SilkTest was because I would like to have a tool now which is future proof for the organisation. In other words, will this tool support further test automation on the end-to-end chains within this large organisation. One really important qualifier for that is solid SAP support. My Proof of concept on SilkTest started off looking into SAP support. The way Silk handles SAP I can simply summarize with one word: good. Out of the box it managed to select the correct SAP instance from the system selection popup, login without issues and after a few attempts execute a bunch of transactions. In other words, I was happily surprised! Most test automation applications I had on the longlist have serious issues in dealing with SAP.

The bad and the ugly

The not so nice side of SilkTest in my opinion is that the recorded code is somewhat ugly, if not really ugly and not very friendly to read and through that probably also to maintain. This however is just a minor nuisance compared to the next issue.

Since the application under test is being served through an RDP tunnel I have no access to the object ID’s. In other words, it is difficult to recognize objects on the application. In SilkTest it is not merely difficult, it is close to impossible. The only runnable way to do so I found is to record the tests based on the screen coordinates and then manually add assertions all over the place. However since SilkTest doesn’t see what it is trying to test, getting the assertions in is really hard. What do you put the assertion on? There is no object to verify.

In other words, this is a disqualifier for SilkTest in this context. In many other contexts however I really enjoy working with Silk, especially when pure code is allowed. Contrary to many other tools Silk Test accepts pure Java rather than some proprietary language.

Technical Test Analyst at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
​​The web browser testing is very useful for applications with lots of Java script.

What is most valuable?

The web browser testing is very useful for applications with lots of Java script and application using Google on-line tool kit. Also, user based licence arrangements are best to suit organisation with budgeting constraints.

How has it helped my organization?

Not many performance Testing tool provides end to end response times for scripts running on the page, this tool is capable of providing end to end real time browser response times.

What needs improvement?

The browser based testing needs to be improved.

We've used it for three months.

10/10

10/10

We switched as not many tools allow browser based testing as Borland SilkTest does.

It was straightforward.

It was done by a vendor.

You pay per day for a licence based on the number of users.

Saraswathi B - PeerSpot reviewer
Test Automation Project Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has multi-language support, including 4L and Java.

What is most valuable?

1. Object oriented approach

2. Keyword word driven framework

3. Supports both record & playback and descriptive programming

4. Supports multi-language support 4L (similar to C++) & java

5. Last but not least the separation of test design from test implementation

How has it helped my organization?

It drastically reduced our manual regression efforts that is difficult to achieve in Agile model

What needs improvement?

Need to improve online documentation, community & forums to share issues encountered & solutions.

Almost a year.

We've had no issues with deployment.

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no issues with scalability.

In my experience, the customer service is good.

In my experience, the technical support is good.

We did not previously use a different solution.

It was straightforward and we did not encounter any issues.

We have in-house implementation.

Not very sure about popular proprietary tools like QTP, but should be comparatively less.

No, as our customer has this licence we are supposed to use this tool.

What other advice do I have?

It supports most of the good features available in QTP, but is not so popular due to less online support.

This solution supports Windows, web-based apps along with Mobile (android & iOS).

it_user371454 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Program/Product Manager at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We were able to write Object classes for the UI objects.

Valuable Features

Support of the browser, with any client was good. Also, support of DLL features was awesome as we could recognize in-house built UI Objects. Having Basic State and Application State for test case level was good.

Improvements to My Organization

We had in-house UI objects build for our product and using the DLL functionality we were able to write Object class for those objects (Similar to creating Xpath for objects in Selenium). No other tool was available at that time which supported this. Using this DLL functionality we were able to automate our product.

Use of Solution

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

I was using this tool in Bangalore and not in US. At that time, we never had good technical support in Bangalore. Not sure what is the current situation.

Implementation Team

It was an in-house one. We had bought license for this product.

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluated Rational Robot.

Other Advice

Most of the time, when people are evaluating tool, they see how easy it is to record and play back the test case. However, if you really want to know the capability of the tool, we should look at what kind of levers it provides programmatically to help suite our requirements.

QA Automation Lead at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
It's good for regression and sanity testing. It needs to improve on Firefox and Chrome as their versions change.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are the Classic agent for desktop and the Open agent for IE. It also support the languages Java and C.

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to use and good for regression and sanity testing.

What needs improvement?

SilkTest has to improve on Firefox and Chrome as their versions change.

We've been using it for five years.

Less issues with the Classic agent, but with the Open one we have faced some issue.

It's good.

It's good.

We did have a solution previously.

It was straightforward.

We did it in-house.

What other advice do I have?

SilkTest is best for desktop applications and good for web applications also with the Open agent.

Mobile QA Developer at a tech vendor
It's helped us to automate routine regression tests, though it doesn't support the latest versions of some UI libraries .

What is most valuable?

1) SilkTest provides great object model and general approach for windows declarations. A lot of things which existed in SilkTest for ages were implemented in some other solutions relatively lately

2) Quite powerful internal language (4Test) however with Open Agent there is an ability to write tests using Java or C#.

3) It used to be relatively fast in comparison to TestComplete or QTP. Partially it's due to relatively light-weight IDE

4) Good system of test cases and application states

5) It is initially designed to support distributed test runs

How has it helped my organization?

With the help of SilkTest we've automated a bunch of routine regression tests. Thus we saved our testing team weeks of testing time.

What needs improvement?

1) Many times I've seen that SilkTest doesn't support the latest versions of some UI libraries (that happened many times for DevExpress and Infragistics). Being on top of cutting edge technologies is vital

2) Despite the support of real programming languages like Java and C# this feature wasn't really convenient to use. Old-style 4Test solution still seemed to be more convenient and efficient. It would be nice to have windows definitions recorder which could create windlasses and window objects on Java and C# in similar fashion as it was initially done for 4Test

3) Installer errors could take place. Since for potential users it's first impression on the system such errors shouldn't take place at all

4) Some technologies were supported in a form of extensions (e.g. ActiveX, Web). It would be good if we wouldn't have a need to make additional setup to start working with at least mainstream technologies

Intensive use during 2004-2007. Some temporary consulting on 2012

I've seen a lot of potential users upset with the SilkTest due to broken installation. By default when we install SilkTest it is configured to use Open Agent. But after installation some service wasn't started so that Open Agent was inaccessible. Despite fix is pretty quick a lot of users were upset with it. That problem was available on 2012. Hope at the moment it is fixed

Sometimes it was hard to handle long runs which take longer than 12 hours. Agent or IDE could hang from time to time. But in overall, SilkTest was pretty stable even on machines which were working weeks without any restart

Never had a chance to communicate

Never had a chance to communicate

Before SilkTest our company used WinRunner. Switch to SilkTest was justified by:

1) License cost

2) More up-to-date technology

3) Numerous technical advantages listed in the most valuable features section

Setup in general is pretty easy. There were 2 major issues we could encounter:

1) In addition to base technologies we had to enable extensions to support ActiveX, Web and some other UI types. And extensions could be picked up after some retries which wasn't really convenient

2) Not sure about now but SilkTest was hard to work on machines which had Mercury (later acquired by HP) products installed (WinRunner, QTP or LoadRunner). Usually problem appeared with extensions. They couldn't be enabled

In-house

it_user3396 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user3396Team Lead at Tata Consultancy Services
Top 5Real User

Cool review

it_user186282 - PeerSpot reviewer
Team Lead Automation with 51-200 employees
Although the GUI interface needs work for non-developers, its GUI mapping is valuable

What is most valuable?

• GUI Mapping
  • 4Test

How has it helped my organization?

It speeds up testing efforts.

What needs improvement?

GUI interface could be simpler for non-developers.

10 years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with deployment.

8 out of 10.

7 out of 10.

MI's Winrunner.

It was a straightforward set-up.

Initial cost was very high, took two years to save up for it. Wish Borland's Silk was less expensive.

Yes, several free and several paid. Amongst others, we looked at Selenium, Ranorex, WTP, Rational, MI, Auto-it, and Jmoeter.

What other advice do I have?

Don't just research the automation tool, research what your needs are.

it_user69066 - PeerSpot reviewer
QA Expert at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
QTP vs SilkTest WorkBench

The last few months, I've been working with the Silk Tools (particularly the WorkBench .NET variant IDE) and I must say that I like what I've been using. The libraries provided by Silk are quite good for your typical automation and when you run into custom applications, the .NET IDE (which is based on the MS Visual Studio IDE) allows you to code purely in VB.NET. There are some limitations using WorkBench but they can completely removed when you switch completely to MS Visual Studio and import the Silk libraries. From an automation perspective, I'd say this is actually more powerful than QTP but for the majority of client engagements, QTP out of the box, can handle the engagement a lot more easily because it is catered to almost every situation. However, when it comes to the bang for your buck, I'd actually go with Silk/Borland! The only real problem comes down to the fact that you have very little online presence for the Silk products compared to HP's QTP. So finding solutions to problems requires more self help and reading of more technical articles than compared with finding solutions for QTP, as it has already been done and the code is most likely available online somewhere.

So take what you want from this and if you have any questions, feel free to comment and I'll get back to you when I look at this next.

Just in keep in mind, I'm talking in the broadest sense and what I've said may not apply to your current situation.

Download our free Functional Testing Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, SeleniumHQ, SmartBear, and more!
Updated: September 2022