IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

SAP HANA OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP HANA is #1 ranked solution in top Data Virtualization tools, #1 ranked solution in top Embedded Database Software, and #5 ranked solution in top Relational Databases. PeerSpot users give SAP HANA an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. SAP HANA is most commonly compared to Oracle Database: SAP HANA vs Oracle Database. SAP HANA is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
SAP HANA Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP HANA Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is SAP HANA?

The SAP HANA® platform helps you reimagine business by combining a robust database with services for creating innovative applications. It enables real-time business by converging trans-actions and analytics on one in-memory platform. Running on premise or in the cloud, SAP HANA untangles IT complexity, bringing huge savings in data management and empowering decision makers everywhere with new insight and predictive power.

SAP HANA was previously known as SAP High-Performance Analytic Appliance, HANA.

SAP HANA Customers

Unilever, NHS 24, adidas Group, CHIO Aachen, Hamburg Port Authority (HPA), Bangkok Airways Public Company Limited

SAP HANA Video

SAP HANA Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP HANA pricing:
  • "The pricing is a bit on the high side."
  • "We pay $200 on a monthly basis."
  • "A monthly or yearly license must be purchased, although its utility will be based on the cost-benefit analysis that is reached by the individual customer."
  • SAP HANA Reviews

Database Consultant at a pharma/biotech company
    Very robust solution with good data access
    • "SAP HANA is vertically and horizontally scalable."
    • "High availability and disaster recovery are very poor in HANA."

What is our primary use case?

I am currently using the latest version. But before that, before I jumped into the version, I used the initial version of HANA, as well. This initial version of HANA was not that great, it had a lot of bugs. But the latest version is very good. It's excellent.

I'm afraid that HANA is not a relational database, it's a column-level database just like Sybase IQ. Sybase is also an activity product, an SAP product. SAP bought Sybase in May 2010. So normal Sybase is RDBMS. Sybase has one more variant called Sybase IQ. That is not RDBMS, that is a column-level database. Normal Sybase is a whole-level database. That's a column-level database. So SAP HANA is based on this column-level architecture.

One more thing. The success of HANA primarily depends on the RAM and the storage. HANA became a success because the cost of the solar devices has fallen down substantially. I don't know about British Pounds, but in Indian Rupees, earlier in 2007, 2008, when I was working for Microsoft, one terabyte of a SAN device, used to cost around 22.5 LAK. I would say I would have had a 100,000. I think that's the nature. So one SAN device was costing 22 LAKs. The same SAN device, in 2013 and 2014, was costing around three LAKs. So the SAN device cost reduced by more than 200%.

Also, in parallel, the RAM cost also decreased, and the technology and the fastness of RAM increased. This impacted the primary condition for RDB and RDBMSs like Oracle, Sybase, SQL Server, and the like, that they need to support the foreign key relationship, where I have a few tables. For example, if I have five to six tables, suppose the first table is employment information. The second table is employee career details or his project, something like that.

Now, instead of populating the tables with the same information, the primary condition of RDBMS was to have a foreign key relationship between these two tables and reduce the redundancy. That was a primary condition, but in HANA, thanks to the cheap storage and high-speed RAM, I may not even bother to do a redundancy of data. I can combine all the tables and make a huge table. And as an entire table, whatever its size, I can pin the table in the RAM so that my access of information is not from the hard disk, but is directly from the memory, which is much, much, much faster. That is the beauty of HANA.

What needs improvement?

I'm still researching the features of HANA. In terms of memory, data access and data pitching, HANA has scored a victory, no doubt about that. But when I compare the non HANA architecture with SAP, ERP, the SAP ERP comes in two levels. SAP ECC, which is a non HANA based product, and SAP S/4HANA, which is a HANA-based product. If I compare these two, there are almost around 5,000 to 6,000 tables, which were merged together in HANA,  making it a robust architecture.

In earlier SAP we used to have fragmented, small-scale architecture. HANA is a robust architecture where one table itself is a behemoth quantity of many, many columns and a lot of redundant data. So my interest in HANA would be how SAP is catering to the demand of reducing the redundancy of data, and at the same time pinning the entire critical tables into the memory so that access to the data is faster. I am researching those factors.

I have roughly five years of experience in SAP HANA, because I started working on SAP ECC, on logistics and other components. After that, HANA became famous only in the years 2013 and 2014. Then I started pursuing HANA very, very actively. Right now, my journey is continuing and after five to six years I have a good amount of knowledge and experience on HANA.

It is stable.

SAP HANA
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about SAP HANA. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.

SAP HANA is vertically and horizontally scalable.

Our banking system uses HANA primarily for our financial transactions. There are our SAP financials running on HANA. This HANA SAP was on the Oracle database. We have migrated it. It's very, very complex and took almost one year for us to prepare the plan and migrate to HANA finance. There are around 700 to 800 users using the database and they're not facing any problem. It's fantastic.

I would say I'm satisfied with technical support, buy it can be improved also. Improved in  terms of data warehousing, because HANA was introduced for data warehousing and because SAP wanted to catch the OLTP market. Now they have introduced many things to attract the OLTP customers, especially in banking and telecom sectors. That's okay. You have to keep your business interests also. HANA's architecture is the foundation of the language of data, warehousing, and design. For any project or product, if it's based on data warehousing, I would say HANA is the language for that because what data warehousing wants is a data warehousing database.

Primarily, it's not an OLDP, it's OLAP, online analytics processing. And where the data is not changed, the data doesn't change as frequently as a OLTB database. For that kind of environment, I think HANA needs a lot of improvement in terms of making it more columnar. It has to incorporate up level design a little bit harder, as well.

You know MySQL database? Not Microsoft, MySQL. Microsoft is not SQL. M-Y-S-Q-L, has been bought by Oracle. Oracle bought MySQL, it acquired the MySQL company. If you look into the database, by default, MySQL engine is InnoDB. InnoDB is the default engine on MySQL. But, MySQL also gives you the flexibility of choosing your own engine. I don't want to know InnoDB, I have a huge Microsoft Excel file with around 10,000 rows, but I don't want to use InnoDB because I have to pay for that. To save those costs, at the time of starting MySQL engine, I can choose my type of data. Instead of InnoDB, I can choose Excel also. SAP HANA should give that kind of flexibility to its customers, making it more reachable to small SMEs, small and medium enterprises.

Now it is simple, because thanks to the cloud approach, it is giving a lot of flexibility to the customer, but if it wants to attack, hit the right target, acquiring the very, very small scale customer, who has around max 50 terabytes data or 100 terabyte data, a small scale company, small companies, that market should also be captured by SAP, not only the big companies. As the English saying goes, small things count. You can't ignore small things.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. The only thing was there were a lot of parameters which had to be taken into consideration and any parameter at installation will be paid. But one good thing about SAP HANA is even if you miss a single parameter, you cannot agree to it for the steps. The further steps will tell you that, "you have missed this step. You first complete it, then you can come here." That kind of interlinking is there. So yes, SAP installation is pretty straightforward, and very easy and smooth.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend SAP HANA. No doubt I would definitely recommend it. But the thing is, if I adopt SAP HANA, my total cost of ownership in terms of having a functional consultant, as well as a HANA admin, would increase. I should first find a balance and analyze the data, "Do I really want to have HANA? What benefit will I have if I have HANA at my premises? And if I want to cut cost but also get the benefits of HANA, will the cloud option of HANA cater to my needs?" All those questions.

That is the company analysis I should do: what do they do differently? But many companies will be driven by the business needs, but at the same time some companies will also be driven by factors like the existing relationship with other vendors, like Oracle or SQL Server, and the kind of discounts they get when they buy that product. All those things will be there as driving factors. To answer your question, I would definitely recommend SAP HANA to anyone.

High availability and disaster recovery are very poor in HANA. High availability is measured on the barometer of RPO and RTO. RPO stands for recovery point objective, RTO stands for recovery time objective. The graph in which these two factors will be measured is from the five nines, the seven nines, or the three nines, that kind of factor. But it is a factor of my high availability. 99.9% of my database is available or 99.99999999%, giving a chance of 0.0001% for some kind of availability failure is because of natural disaster or some kind of electrical failures or something like that. So those are the factors you have to see for high availability.

My SAP HANA, technically, can withstand those calamities and recover itself from that disaster. That is called high availability. That high availability is there, but it is very, very, very minimal. If you're talking about high availability of HANA in actual high availability markets compared to Oracle and other RDBMS, HANA is a small child. If you remember when Microsoft SQL Server came into the RDBS market back in the year 1997, when they introduced the SQL 97, then they introduced the SQL 2000, SQL 2005. At that time, they introduced the high availability called Windows Cluster log shipping, mirroring the application.

At that time, in 2007 and 2008, Oracle introduced RAC, Real Application Clusters. Compared to the features of real application clusters, the Microsoft product was a small child. And Microsoft took that as a challenge and they improved and they improved. And in 2012 they introduced something called Always On. Always On is an improved version of high availability in SQL Server. HANA has to do that kind of stuff. HANA's high availability is immature.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate SAP HANA an eight.

Hybrid Cloud
    Owner at LAVORO AUTOM INF E COM LTDA
    Offers advanced features, helps reduce hours, and makes it easy to find what you need
    • "The solution offers advanced features that the company was struggling to implement."
    • "A documents preview could be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

I was using the product for some research in technical drawings - in terms of making some drawings, the different parts, and the structure of the machinery. I don't know if it's available in the SAP HANA, however, there is a model for this to schedule the maintenance. The company wasn't using it. Sometimes the product furnishes a lot of insights, cultural insights that the company still is not ready to implement.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers advanced features that the company was struggling to implement. For example, in terms of parts, you can't implement a lot of structures of the machinery, however, you still need to use the codes. They're not related one to another, which makes them hard to find, typically. That means every time you need it to buy an entire assembly of parts, you need to know exactly which one you had. You have to use a drawing, a technical drawing, that specifies each code that you need. SAP saves you from asking to bring an entire assembly with a lot of parts. That's a powerful aspect that could help to reduce hours of work that are wasted in this way.

What needs improvement?

A documents preview could be helpful. Today we have a lot of documents, for example, in PDF formats, which we would like to preview. We'd even just like to click on an icon and have it open another tab. That way, I can see the document directly inside SAP HANA. In the company I was working with, we had a parallel system which meant we needed to go to SAP, see the code, see the drawing number, and then go to another system that is finished by Autodesk, and then find the drawing and open it. This is a lot of work.

I really would like to just have it inside this app.

I'd like the product to have more mobile aspects. Many younger users want mobility and flexibility.

The solution can be expensive. In Brazil, many companies still do pretty much everything in Brazil, and, if they want to try a new solution, they want to try it at zero cost. Many, therefore, will look for open-source solutions before they even consider SAP.

I've used the solution over the last 12 months.

It's very stable. Sometimes it gets a little slow, however, that might be a company issue. When it came to the internet the entire site wasn't that good. Sometimes you had too many people connecting and the company was using a lot of Google solutions. You noticed that when a lot of people are in virtual meetings, we would have internet connections affected.

I'm not sure about the scalability.

I don't know if you can use it in a Docker or if you can scale it in SQL and you can maintain the speed, or if you are talking about, for example, big data. The infrastructure of the company seemed to be weighed down, for example, when there were a lot of virtual meetings and it affected the internet. I can't speak to if this problem would also affect being able to scale the product.

I would describe technical support as good. It's always worked for me and therefore I have no complaints.

I didn't handle the initial implementation. The company furnished all the equipment needed for me to work. They gave me the computer, which Red Hat was installed on. They just give me access and showed me where to access what I needed and where to put the ID and password. I didn't do anything.

Typically there are six people that are available for maintenance tasks. They're IT technicians.

SAP solutions are typically quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a partner and consultant.

I'm not sure which version of the product I am on.

I'd advise new users that it's important to first find a solution that can understand the culture that's involved inside this solution. Sometimes people think that ERP software like SAP are magical things that you just install it and it makes life easier. It doesn't work like this. You need to have the culture, you have to have this knowledge. You need to understand how it works and how much it requires from you. It requires more than you think. It doesn't work like magic.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. It's very good, however, there's always room for improvement.

SAP HANA
    July 2022
    621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Software Engineer - Data at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Needs more integration capabilities and support for other programming languages but is pretty flexible
    • "Its in-memory capabilities are good, which is why many companies still use it."
    • "SAP HANA is a very proprietary tool and there's not as much support available for it as there is for an SQL Server (which is more popular)."

What is most valuable?

What is good about SAP HANA is its simplicity and its flexibility.

Its in-memory capabilities are good, which is why many companies still use it.

What needs improvement?

It requires some internal SAP knowledge to work with the tool and it's a completely graphical modeling kind of a system. You can't come in cold with no knowledge or understanding of the solution and think you can jump in and start working.

You have to work with the very few tools that are given to you. It could probably increase its flexibility and there could be more components added, which would make it more versatile. They could improve the solution by adding more components and by making it more feature-rich and including typical features that other more popular tools have.

There needs to be better support from the SAP support team. There needs to be more support for other programming languages like high-level C++, Java, or Python. That could be another improvement.

HANA needs more integration with open-source tools, and with general reporting and analytics tools that are out there on the market. Once again, more integration on so many levels would be amazing. It's very SAP-centric and very proprietary right now. There are ways to connect SAP HANA with many tools already, however, in particular with open-source tools, if there could be even more integration, that would be helpful.

There needs to be more data transformation and more ELT features that can be implemented in the view.

While I'm not exactly sure how long the company itself has used the solution, I've been dealing with it for four years at this point. It's been a while.

In terms of stability, I can't comment much. It depends on the underlying system and infrastructure, and it has the same kind of stability as any other on-premise solution. It doesn't have any cloud features such as multiple replication and multiple locations, et cetera. In that sense, it has the same stability as any other on-premise solution and does not guarantee any SLA.

In terms of scalability, it's quite scalable. We've used it for production solutions very often and from any number of users. Generally, there are a few hundred users or so. I have not really worked on an implementation that uses thousands of users or anything that big, so I can't really comment on massive scaling. However, if it's for enterprise applications that have a few hundred internal users, it's good.

The community support needs to be better. I haven't been impressed with it. In general, it just needs better support.

I have only worked on SAP and I haven't worked on other solutions.

I don't have information on the pricing, as that is an SAP and corporate-level agreement, which is not really known by all the in-house teams. I'm not really aware of the pricing. On the internet, I couldn't find much information about the cost of SAP HANA. I have heard that it is an expensive option. Being an enterprise-level solution, however, I don't have exact numbers.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not really part of the decision making team or the architecture team. I do not know if my organization has a business relationship with SAP or not.

I'd rate the solution five out of ten.

In the case of enterprise projects, I've heard that SAP HANA is used very widely. I would say, in general, it would be good to explore other alternatives, and not just go with HANA. It would be good to explore big data alternatives that are out there. They might be a better fit. Databricks these days seems to be quite popular. It might be an interesting alternative for some organizations. Depending on the use case, I'd recommend that other alternatives should be considered. If it's a reporting solution that people are building, which is using a lot of SAP internal data, then SAP HANA is a good option. Otherwise, other alternatives are out there.

Account Executive at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Eases management of databases; rock solid with great functionality
    • "Eases management of databases."
    • "The user interface and CRM need to be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our CRM, and for our ERP, inventory, and supply chain management. It's basically used to run the majority of the company. We are customers of SAP HANA and I'm an account executive.

What is most valuable?

SAP is great for what it does. There are likely better solutions out there but I'm not aware of them. It's a solution for big companies and in that sense it makes management of the databases much easier for higher-level people to know what's going on.

What needs improvement?

The user interface and CRM need to be more user-friendly, it's abnormally painful. I'm a frontline user of the CRM, and it requires lots of clicks that are unnecessary. Less is more on the internet and quite often I'm clicking five, six, seven times to get where I need, and that's not effective. When an item in a certain category is not done properly, it can either lock up a system or not complete the process. We see it on a daily basis and we have to figure out a workaround to solve it. It's a technical issue that SAP's had since the beginning, and it hasn't yet been solved. With SAP everything has to be categorized. If it's not, it causes system issues and then you have to decipher the issue to try and undo it. It's an algorithm argument flaw. In the near future, I'd like to see better user interfaces and better connectors between modules.

I've been using this solution for about eight years.

The solution is rock stable now. We have an SAP team and five or six people fixing day-to-day issues with up to 30 people working on it all the time. There is an additional team that implements new functionalities.

It can scale infinitely. We have 12,000 users internationally and we use the product extensively.

I have previously used Salesforce and I don't like it. It runs like a 1980s webpage in the current era.

The initial setup was painful and required a lot of work. Systems would go down all the time because there were initial errors with the SAP system. but once it was up and stabilized, things were good. It still has flaws but it's a good solution as a whole. They've implemented extra modules from SAP. If you don't implement it properly you'll feel the pain. It probably took around six months to solve all the issues because SAP is so big and so integrated and so integral, it can take a while to fix the problems. You can limp along until things are solved and find workarounds, but it takes a lot of effort. SAP helped us with the implementation.

SAP is expensive but it's a good solution for what it does. You're going to get a $20 answer, for a $20 product. For all the functionality it offers, the cost is worth it.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to plan and then plan again before implementing. If you don't plan properly, you will fail. The solution requires planning the implementation, making sure your company is the right size for the product. If you're an SMB, this might not be the right product for you. It might cost you more than you think. If you're enterprise size, you should look at getting into SAP, because it is the right solution. It's a solid product despite some minor issues - if SAP were to fix them it would raise the level of the solution.

As a user, I rate the solution eight out of 10.

Head- IT at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Stable and scalable
    • "The solution is easy to scale."
    • "Technical support could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We work with the latest update.

We use the solution as a database. We primarily use it for the SAP application. Some of the use cases involve CDS Views, which provides a quicker processing of the report and the application.

What is most valuable?

The in-memory database is a good and valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Since we use BW, we are required to use an SLT tool to carry out the data for generating the reports. But, when it comes to in-memory database in respect of the realtime reporting, I do not see why this report cannot be made available from the system itself. This would allow for some partitioning of the database, so that there would not be a need for the EMP in respect of the realtime data.

The initial setup was complex. I am talking about how the data is replicated to the site. We had an Oracle Database and did replication to the VR site. Yet, when it comes to HANA, we are forced to work out the method for ensuring that this replication works as it should. It is at this point that the solution becomes stable.

Technical support could be better. When we have requested this, the tendency has been to instruct us to implement a note and keep them apprised. In reality, there is no one who helps us with actual troubleshooting of the problem.

The pricing is a bit on the high side.

While I would definitely recommend the solution, I would caution that one should employ the proper resources that are geared towards the system. Unfortunately, SAP does not provide a structured training program, which means a person must rely on multiple system integrators and some service providers.

We have been using SAP HANA for more than three years.

The stability is very good and we have encountered no issues regarding it.

The initial setup was complex. I am talking about how the data is replicated to the site. We had an Oracle Database and did replication to the VR site. Yet, when it comes to HANA, we are forced to work out the method for for ensuring that this replication works as it should. It is at this point that the solution becomes stable.

The solution is easy to scale.

Technical support could be better. When we have requested this, the tendency has been to instruct us to implement a note and keep them apprised. In reality, there is no one who helps us to actually troubleshoot the problem.

We had already been using SAP when we switched from it to Oracle, because all of the innovations were taking place on HANA.

The initial setup was complex. I am talking about how the data is replicated to the site. We had an Oracle database and did replication to the VR site. Yet, when it comes to HANA, we are forced to work out the method for for ensuring that this replication works as it should. It is at this point that the solution becomes stable.

The deployment lasted six months.

We deployed with the help of a vendor.

No real maintenance is required. Data volume management is needed and all the reports are available, based on which the maintenance is easy.

The pricing is a bit on the high side.

The use of hardware does not incur additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

There are 40,000-plus users making use of the solution in our organization.

I rate SAP HANA as an eight out of ten.

Senior Engineering Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Stable, scalable, and easy to use
    • "It's easy to use, and the Hana Studio is pretty good."
    • "The JDBC connectors are very slow."

What is our primary use case?

We are solution providers. We are a supply chain organization and we deploy and supply chain solutions for our customers.

We have a host of solutions and for each of our customers based on their environments. We customize their platform and deploy it.

SAP HANA is one of our database endpoints.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use, and the Hana Studio is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

The main issue that we are facing is with the connectors. The JDBC connectors are very slow. We have been trying to connect with our SAP HANA database to our customers.

It's a simple Java driver and there is no proper documentation available anywhere with clear steps. We have to rely on several documents which creates confusion.

The initial setup could be simplified.

Also, we don't have to option to pull up the data from the object structure in SAP HANA. We can only pull up certain objects. It doesn't provide you with a comprehensive list.

There are limitations in connection with SAP HANA. There has to be a better or easier way to connect the databases with other platforms, maybe using Java code or other types of code. It would be very good to have the documentation on how to connect.

I would like to have flexible connecting mechanisms for connection with Java or different types of solutions to SAP HANA on cloud or non-cloud solutions.

They could come up with something similar to the SAP HANA Studio type of modeling.

I would also like to see the capabilities to extend the API. If they had specific APIs, it would be easy for us to connect.

My company has been using SAP HANA for ten years.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution.

It's a scalable solution. Because it's an on-premise infrastructure and SAP this is the best support for most of our customers, scalability is taken care of.

We are an SAP house. We have more than 1,000 people who use this solution.

I have not interacted with the technical support. Other teams may have, but my involvement is more with the integration.

The initial setup was a bit complex. We were told to download it from the marketplace, but when we tried, it didn't work. We may have been doing something wrong, but we did not have a clear understanding of how it should be done. We also had difficulties with the trial version, it was not working.

There are two options:

1. Download SAP HANA then import it
    2. Go to the marketplace and download the connector

For testing purposes, if they could provide us with clear documentation, it would be very helpful.

Licensing is on a yearly basis.

We are using the paid version. We pay $200 on a monthly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I am not an expert in HANA. I build the enterprise bus that integrates with SAP HANA as well as other systems. We have built our own integrated platforms.

The recommendation of this solution would depend on the use case and the requirements, and the price will be considered.

I would rate SAP HANA an eight out of ten.

AllaShlafir - PeerSpot reviewer
    Development & ERP Technologies Department Manager at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    Very fast, good memory, and very good scalability
    • "The memory is the solution's most valuable feature. It's the main feature of HANA. Others are still the regular IT databases that are on storage and are therefore much slower than HANA. The solution is quite fast."
    • "Unlike other databases, it lacks management features that legacy databases like Oracle or SQL servers have. They need to make the solution easier to manage and offer tools that make management more effective. A lot of things you have on traditional databases you have to develop into HANA."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution for the BW system of SAP. We also use the legacy reporting, which is very good.

The solution is quite fast.

How has it helped my organization?

We hoped to move all our BI systems to work with HANA, unfortunately, there are a lot of performance issues, even after remodeling the BW models.

What is most valuable?

The memory is the solution's most valuable feature. It's the main feature of HANA. Others are still the regular IT databases that are on storage and are therefore much slower than HANA. The solution is quite fast.

I've been using the solution for about 3 years

The solution is less stable than traditional databases. We have encountered several cases when the database just flows. For some reason, that database took a lot of memory, and when we opened a case with SAP, we had to send a lot of logs, which did nothing because at the end, they couldn't find the root cause for this issue. This happened in several cases. We had production down and that's not acceptable for our business.

The solution is very scalable. We have about 10,000 users.

Each of those is not connecting to the database per se, but we are using HANA to take all the data and a lot of users. Several other software applications are also connecting to it.

Technical support is okay, but not great. It seems like there are a lot of SAP support packages that are coming out and lots of versions. For me, this indicates that the product is not quite ready or stable enough.

We've contacted technical support in the past and did not get good results. Eventually, we just created some parameters that we have configured into the system. We solved the problem by ourselves by creating a workaround that avoided the problem. SAP never gave us a straight answer about what we should do in our case.

The initial setup was quite complicated. We had to do a migration, so it wasn't a fresh installation. We had Oracle as our legacy system and had to move everything over to HANA. We had to do half a year of testing and had to do several cycles of tests and migrations before deploying. Once that was done, we deployed over a weekend.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd advise others to wait until the software will be much more stable before implementing it.

I'd rate it eight out of ten. If it was more stable and more manageable, I'd rate it higher. If people could have the ability to do things on their own within the solution, to read the software logs on their own, and get the root cause of any problem, and not just send it to the support, it would be much better.

CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    New technology with good stability
    • "We like that the product is both vertically and horizontally scalable, allowing us to do around 86 percent compression of documentation from 50 to seven terabytes."
    • "It would be nice to know when SAP plans to stop its maintenance of a previous version of SAP ECC ERP because, at this point, anyone utilizing SAP will have no choice but to go on S/4HANA Database."

What is our primary use case?

We always make use of the latest version.

We like that SAP HANA is a new technology. We also like that the product is both vertically and horizontally scalable, allowing us to do around 86 percent compression of documentation from 50 to seven terabytes.

In light of the hosting cost, we find this to be very interesting. We also like the warm and cold data in respect of the solution's technology. There is a real team involved. The customer can initially utilize SAP ECC on the HANA interface and then go on S/4HANA. From this point on, doing upgrades will be very easy and smooth and the risk management will be extremely light.

What needs improvement?

Since only some accommodation exists, there is a need to enquire of SAP about which environment would be good. While I know the HANA database on the Azure environment comprises a good solution, for example, it does not easily accommodate SAP. HANA is a new technology which only dates back to 2004 and we must give it adequate time before assessing its room for improvement. This is in contrast to DB2, which has been  around for 40 years or more years. Perhaps the flow will be improved. As of now, the technology is too new to properly comment on.

The documentation is not an issue and, if anything, a surfeit of it is made available. This is actually one of SAP's stronger points.

Capabilities are also not at issue at present. When it comes to how EAP connects with SAP we are looking at a revolutionary paradigm. For now, we could not ask for there to be more features. This area is wonderful. We find the solution to be very helpful, safe, good and secure. Only with the passage of time will we be afforded a proper understanding of where the technology can be improved.

This said, it would be nice to know when SAP plans to stop its maintenance of a previous version of SAP ECC ERP because, at this point, anyone utilizing SAP will have no choice but to go on S/4HANA Database. This will be contingent on when SAP will stop doing maintenance for the ECC version 6.0.

We saw this with the 4.6 version ECC. Once SAP stopped its maintenance those with SAP were forced to go on the new version.

We have been using SAP HANA for a couple of years.

The solution is secure and stable.

As the solution allows for document compression, I would consider it scalable.

We have had occasion to make use of technical support, although its level varies according to the locale of SAP's global presence.

While I was not personally involved in the installation, my engineers were.

My deployment and maintenance team comprises around seven people, although I could not tell you which percentage of this is made up of managers, administrators and engineers.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is cloud based

I would recommend S/4HANA to other users.

I rate SAP HANA as a nine out of ten.