Sangfor NGAF OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sangfor NGAF is the #16 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Sangfor NGAF an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Sangfor NGAF is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Sangfor NGAF vs Fortinet FortiGate. Sangfor NGAF is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 53% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 25% of all views.
Sangfor NGAF Buyer's Guide

Download the Sangfor NGAF Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Sangfor NGAF?

Sangfor Next Generation Firewall (also known as NGAF) is a converged security solution providing protection against advanced threat, malware, viruses, ransomware and web-based attacks using integrated security features like firewall, IPS, anti-virus, anti-malware, APT, URL filtering, Cloud Sandbox, and WAF. As the world's first AI-enabled and fully integrated Next Generation Firewall & Web Application Firewall (WAF), NGAF offering the security visibility, real-time detection and response, simplified operation and maintenance and high-performance application layer security needed to operate an enterprise network in total security. Tested and proven to provide cutting-edge network security by ICSA Labs and endorsed by Gartner Inc., NGAF harnesses the power of Sangfor’s Neural-X threat intelligence and analytics platform and Engine Zero’s innovative malware detection to provide next-generation protection for today’s enterprise.

Sangfor NGAF was previously known as Sangfor NGAF Firewall Platform.

Sangfor NGAF Customers

The Ministry of Science, Technology, and Innovation (Indonesia), Lawson, Inc. (Philippines), Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin (Indonesia), TEK Automotive (Italy), etc.

Sangfor NGAF Video

Sangfor NGAF Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Sangfor NGAF pricing:
  • "The price could be more competitive."
  • "If you know you have around 200+ computer users on your network, then the Sangfor NGAF 5200-F-I model would be the minimum recommended model for that amount of users. This model includes modules for packet filtering, deep packet inspection, malware scanning, DSCP filtration, and many other features."
  • "For over 2000 users, the cost is around 5000 to 6000 USD. If you want a web application firewall, you have to purchase an additional license for it."
  • "The price is unmatcheable."
  • "Sangfor NGAF price is reasonable and there is an annual license. However, the maintenance cost can be a bit high."
  • Sangfor NGAF Reviews

SaadAziz - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager IT at Sabirs' Group
    A scalable and comprehensive solution that specializes in ransomware detection
    • "Sangfor NGAF specializes in ransomware detection and helps to protect our network from ransomware threats and malware."
    • "The firewall system needs gradual improvements because there are more threats and challenges every day."

What is our primary use case?

Sangfor NGAF specializes in ransomware detection and helps to protect our network from ransomware threats and malware. This is the primary reason we purchased this solution, and we are currently negotiating to upgrade our appliances to volume M5200 Series. Additionally, Sangfor NGAF provides a web application for financial software.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Sangfor NGAF primarily for security, which has helped save our files from being encrypted by ransomware. Our desktop PCs have essential data, like word files and excel documents.

We previously had a ransomware attack on our file server, and Sangfor NGAF protected us by alerting and disconnecting the server from the network.

What needs improvement?

The firewall system needs gradual improvements because there are more threats and challenges in the world every day. Sangfor NGAF has a comprehensive database for ransomware and viruses, but when we compare it to other solutions, the price could be more competitive.

Since we have a very comprehensive solution with Sangfor NGAF, it is hard to identify any additional features we want to add. It already provides good features for ransomware attacks and data recovery. In the past, we wanted encrypted data for a virus to be recoverable, and Sangfor offered the solution.

We have been using Sangfor NGAF for four years. We use it for overall IT infrastructure protection and are currently using version 1 of Model M5100.

We currently deploy a hybrid infrastructure of cloud and on-premises. We use the solution for our accounting and financial software, websites, internet blocking, and other features. Some clients are on the cloud, and others are on-premises. We also have a Sangfor solution that filters the in and out traffic.

Sangfor NGAF
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Sangfor NGAF. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is relatively stable. Interestingly, we discontinued the updates and software licenses about a year ago, and the appliance and solutions are still working. In addition, there is no limitation on the license, so services won't stop if it expires. You can also update the license at any time for a partial cost.

This solution is scalable. We can add many features and lengths and expand according to our needs.

The IT specialists and engineers in my organization use this solution. Our whole organization is under the protection of Sangfor NGAF. The solution has footprints in India and Europe and many government agencies use Sangfor NGAF in Pakistan.

For deployment, we needed three people who were all IT specialists, and only one of them was from Sangfor. As a result, we deployed it with very few resources, and there were no recurring charges. Also, most people are very well-versed in technology and can multitask.

The technical support team was very helpful, provided support, and guided us during our initial deployment. We were good to go in 15 to 20 minutes.

We previously used Sophos and pfSense, an open-source firewall.

The initial setup was very straightforward. The solution is out of the box, and the software and appliance can be quickly installed. It has a very nice AI feature, and we only needed to implement parameters and define some policies. The deployment took 15 to 20 minutes because we had to get familiar with the new system.

We defined WAN and LAN networks for our implementation strategy and then defined the servers. Next, we identified the modes and decided the desktop would be the best. There were other considerations but it has been four years, so it is hard to remember all of them.

We completed our deployment in-house.

We have seen a return on investment. The systems are protected, and their operating systems are readily available. We are protected from ransomware attacks and the loss of data. This solution protects us, and it has benefits.

On a scale of one to ten, with one being the cheapest, I rate the price a six out of ten. There are no hidden or additional costs other than what we were provided. Therefore, we are happy with our initial decisions.

We evaluated other options and completed some financial comparisons but the IT specialists advised that Sangfor NGAF worked well.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this product an eight out of ten because we don't know what we may need from this solution in the future. We are satisfied and hope to upgrade to a new version soon. However, right now, our current version is working fine.

In terms of advice, we would recommend Sangfor NGAF. But, a company should first prepare an analysis, compare different products, and then decide what they want.

Hybrid Cloud
    Osama Muhammad - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Infrastructure and Server Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Affordable, easy to configure firewall with fast, responsive support
    • "The absolute best part of Sangfor NGAF is their support. It's a 24/7 support channel, and the last time I requested their assistance I got a reply within three minutes. They helped solve the problem immediately."
    • "I would be happy if Sangfor developed a firewall designed specifically for home use, as well as for small businesses such as clinics and so on. A household version of the Sangfor firewall for your personal computer or laptop would be ideal, in my opinion."

What is our primary use case?

We use Sangfor NGAF's next-generation firewall as a security firewall which includes a web application firewall, web app filtering, and URL filtering. It also helps us defend against botnet attacks and similar threats.

In my office, there are about three people who are involved in the direct use of it, although not too many others know about the firewall yet because it's a new product.

What is most valuable?

Sangfor also gives you a warranty for any issues or defects with their hardware. If you find any issue, they will replace the hardware within five working days. We send any hardware that is faulty to our local country partner and they will do the RMA.

When it comes to deployment environments, I like that you have options. If you want a hardware firewall, then you can use their hardware. Conversely, if you want a cloud firewall, then they can provide that, too.

What needs improvement?

I have used Sangfor NGAF for about four years.

Sangfor NGAF is very stable and comes with a hardware warranty where they will replace the defective hardware within five working days. So if something goes wrong, you don't have to fix it, but instead you can just get it replaced.

Sangfor have divided their firewalls into several categories, so you have multiple options with regard to scalability and how many users you need to account for.

For example, if you've got low bandwidth requirements, you might want to deploy the 5200 model. But as you go into higher bandwidths, you will have to deploy the 5300 model or higher.

My recent experience with their support was wonderful. I had an error come up on my Google Chromecast device, where it would simply restart over and over again because it was blocked on the firewall.

When I opened a ticket with Sangfor support to help solve this problem, one of their support members called me within three minutes and asked about the issue. They discovered what was wrong and resolved it. From this experience alone, I can say their support is the very best.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It's very easy to set up. They provide support services on a 24/7 basis, and with this support it makes everything easier to install, configure, and troubleshoot. I would give them a perfect score for support.

If you know you have around 200+ computer users on your network, then the Sangfor NGAF 5200-F-I model would be the minimum recommended model for that amount of users. This model includes modules for packet filtering, deep packet inspection, malware scanning, DSCP filtration, and many other features.

The 5200-F-I model costs around $5,000 once-off, and then around $1,000 per year for the license renewal for both the hardware and software. The $5,000 payment includes deployment, all the modules, the initial license costs till the next year, and deployment support calls. It covers basically everything to get started, and I would rate the pricing as 5/5 stars in terms of competitiveness.

When evaluating Sangfor NGAF with its competitors' products, the first thing I would note is that the other solutions are not likely to fulfill their hardware warranties within five business days, as Sangfor does.

Another advantage of Sangfor is cost. Many other firewall companies offer their products at a high licensing cost, and the modules that come with these solutions are also very costly. In contrast, the Sangfor firewall is not only highly affordable to procure, but it's also very cheap to deploy.

Finally, when you compare Sangfor with Fortinet, for instance, there is a big difference when it comes to configuration. With Fortinet, you typically have multiple different products to configure for various purposes, such as FortiEDR and FortiAnalyzer. All these products from Fortinet have to be configured with the different algorithms and modules that they suggest. But in Sangfor NGAF, everything is in one window.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Sangfor NGAF a ten out of ten.

Sangfor NGAF
    November 2022
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    FarisKhan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Enterprise System Engineer at Innolytix Pakistan Pvt Ltd
    Scalable security solution deployed across multiple industries and is well priced compared to competitors
    • "The level of support provided to local companies is good. They transform their application control and other settings according to that country."
    • "Sangfor need greater exposer in the market because the market is mainly saturated by Fortinet. The user experience of Fortinet is quite different compared to NGAF. If we want to switch our users from Fortinet to NGAF, we have to convince them that the user experience will be much easier once once they start to use it."

What is our primary use case?

We have this solution deployed across multiple industries including education, pharmaceutical and different textile industries. This is a good product for network security and is popular right now. Sangfor is cheaper than well-known products like Fortinet and Palo Alto Firewall NGFS.

What is most valuable?

The level of support provided to local companies is good. They transform their application control and other settings according to that country.

What needs improvement?

We have deployed many firewalls and have faced two or three faulty devices that we have to replace over a year because their power supply was faulty. Some customers use the device for over five years and they have worked fine but got slower with the time.

This is a scalable solution.

I can vouch for the local support team. They are more than competitive in the market. They are always available for small and big customers. They are onsite whenever we need it and assist with any problem or deployment scenario and are willing to discuss it at any time. I would rate them a three out of five.

I have previously used Fortinet. Fortinet is quite a mature product and offers so many features. Sangfor lack a bit in that area. Sangfor include a local database for URLs and other applications. When using Fortinet, you cannot block a local website by default.

The simple deployment of a network on NGF is quite simple and their guides are quite simple as well. The do lack visual guides that are easier for some customers to follow. It's easy to configure a normal deployment scenario for networking and ET. When it comes to high level security and highly advanced features, you need to have some experience in that area to actually apply that on this firewall.

If you're experienced, it would take two or three hour maximum, depending on how many customers are using the policy and how much detailed configuration is needed. I would rate our experience with the setup an eight out of ten.

We have faced some of the issues after deployment with URL filtering which we have logged a ticket for. Our customers are unable to access certain websites. We have diagnosed the problem but we are unable to identify the URL signature or what is blocking the IAM and preventing access to that site.

For over 2000 users, the cost is around 5000 to 6000 USD. If you want a web application firewall, you have to purchase an additional license for it. By default, they provide you with 10 SSL and a VPN. If you want more than 10, you have to pay more. From a pricing perspective, I would rate them a four out of five.

What other advice do I have?

They have a huge product line for large companies and we have deployed a firewall for over 5000 to 10000 users. It is suitable for all type of environments. I would advise others to spend one to two months after deployment on Sangfor to configure the many settings for security services. You have to work on it, keep looking at the logs and make changes as you go. You need this time to analyze, make future risk assessments and reconfigure the work from time to time. Only once this is done, can you consider deployment complete.

It offers good value for money and is much cheaper compared to other firewalls. I would suggest Sangfor to those who are cost conscious.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Network Administrator at Government College University
    Great for inspecting traffic on a very granular level but the GUI lacks logic in some areas
    • "Particularly good in the DPI where we can inspect inbound and outbound traffic."
    • "The GUI needs to be improved, lacks logic in some areas."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is our firewall. I'm a network administrator.

What is most valuable?

Sangfor serves most of the basic purposes of a firewall. It's particularly good in the DPI where we can inspect the inbound and outbound traffic on a very granular level. It gives a very good predictive measure as well as the current measure of things going on in our network. When it comes to the VPNs, it has a very good throughput when remote users connect, particularly when it comes to site-to-site VPNs, where it provides a good analysis module. You can analyze inbound traffic and different policies on this. It gives us value for money overall.

What needs improvement?

I think the GUI needs to be improved, there are a lot of areas where the panes do not make sense. They have put the NAT in the policy section but at the same time the DPI is in the network pane. The placement of different options in the menu system of this firewall is not that logical and often doesn't make a lot of sense. The operational procedures are a little tricky and require some technical skills. A level one person will have problems. The compatibility needs to be improved.

I've been using this solution for three years.

We have been experiencing power failures but the solution has been very stable, both from the hardware and the software perspective. We have built a lot of VPN solutions for the firewalls including Cisco, Firewall 2, and pfSense, and it has been very good with that.

We don't require a very highly scalable coefficient but I believe it's scalable.

The technical support is very good. They have a local vendor they have hired for the technical support and if anything cannot be resolved remotely, they come to us. They are very agile and very technically supportive.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup was a little complex because we were previously dealing with command line scenarios and we were not very comfortable with the GUI which is a little complex.

Our licensing costs are around $15,000 per year which is nominal compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Whether or not this solution is good for you depends on your network. If you have sufficient technical support, then you can go for an open-source solution. Without that and if you have the funds, then this is a good solution. If not, then most of what firewalls do these days can be handled by an open-source solution.

This is a new solution in our country where the price tag really matters. They have targeted the public sector and I'm seeing more and more people moving towards Sangfor because it's cheaper than other products, and the support is quite good.

I rate the solution seven out of 10.

Babar_Ahmed - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head Of Solutions at Mutex Systems
    Great pricing, reliable stability, and easy to deploy
    • "We've found the technical support to be helpful."
    • "They need to increase the number of ports in the firewall."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily provide this solution to our clients. We are providing services at financial institutions. We provide features based on customer requirements.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers some decent features. The assessment feature, for example, is a highly rated feature in Sangfor. It has options that aren't available on other products.

It's a very reliable solution.

The deployment process is very straightforward.

The stability is excellent.

We've found the technical support to be helpful.

The pricing is very good.

All the next-generation firewalls are providing the features Sangfor is already providing. It offers a good vulnerability assessment. This feature is not available on other devices. This feature allows for access to the endpoints and gives visibility to the vulnerabilities in Sangfor.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the solution offered SD-WAN capabilities. It's not as good as what is offered by Fortinet, for example.

They need to increase the number of ports in the firewall. Both Fortinet and Sophos, for example, provide many more than what Sangfor provides.

I've been working with the solution since about 2018. It's been a few years at this point.

The solution is very stable. We haven't had any issues with any of our customers. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's extremely reliable.

We have about 50 different customers who have used the solution.

The technical support is very good. Many products don't offer technical support in Pakistan. However, Sangfor does, which gives them an advantage. Their technical experts are right here and not in some other time zone or speaking some other language. If any customer faces any issues, they can go directly to the customer site. If a partner cannot rectify the situation, the customer has the option of going right to Sangfor. I would say that our clients have been satisfied so far.

I've previously worked with other solutions, such as Sophos and Fortinet. They are better for enterprise-sized organizations. Sangfor is better for smaller businesses. It's much more cost-effective.

We did not have an issue with the initial setup. The solution has a Wizard that basically walks you through the process. It's easy. It's not overly complex or difficult to execute.

The pricing is good. It's an affordable option for smaller companies.

What other advice do I have?

We are Sangfor Gold partners.

I'd recommend this solution for the SMB market, as it is cost-effective and reliable. If a company is enterprise-sized, something like Sophos may be more suitable.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Muhammad  USman - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Presales Consultant at Megaplus
    Great bandwidth management and vulnerability assessment
    • "In four steps one can configure the entire firewall."
    • "I believe that IAM and NGFW need to merge into a single box, instead of there being two separate box solutions."

What is our primary use case?

I believe I am using the recently updated firmware of version 4.0.

What is most valuable?

User-wise, the bandwidth management is one of the most valuable features. Also, certain features are available in the NGFW.

The solution self-diagnoses everything, which we refer to as vulnerability assessment. It automatically runs on one's network and lists the pros and cons. I consider it to be very catchy.

What needs improvement?

I believe that IAM and NGFW need to merge into a single box, instead of there being two separate box solutions.

I have been working with Sangfor NGAF for around three years.

So far, the solution has shown itself to be very stable.

The solution is scalable and I can upgrade it to 40, which I consider to be a good thing.

Technical support is very good. In a single call, the support person can come on site or address ones needs remotely within minutes.

Prior to Sangfor NGAF we worked with Fortinet.

We switched because the previous solution did not readily make available support personnel. Also, while we considered the product to be stable, we felt the support to be very slow.

The setup was easy from the get go. In four steps one can configure the entire firewall.

Give or take, it took no more than two or three hours.

The price is very cheap. It cannot be matched.

While Palo Alto claims to be pioneers in vulnerability assessment and risk management, I could not find references on the website to support this. Only Sangfor firewall has the requisite vulnerability assessment.

Moreover, Palo Alto and Sangfor are pretty much equal in terms of technology and interfaces. I was doing research to verify the vulnerability and risk assessments claims promoted on the website, as I was unable to find these.

What other advice do I have?

I am a customer and use Sangfor NGAF 5600 in my premises.

There are more than 2,000 users making use of the solution in my company.

The solution is quite safe and good. Furthermore, it is very good for different environments.

I rate Sangfor NGAF as a nine-point-five out of ten.

Owner at InternetWorld Solutions Sdn Bhd
    Reseller
    Integrates well, high performance, and responsive support
    • "Sangfor NGAF works accordingly with our customers. The solution has good performance, easy to use, and integrates well with the endpoints."

What is our primary use case?

Sangfor NGAF can be used as a firewall for protecting servers, data, users, and access to the internet.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Sangfor NGAF for approximately one year.

We have sold a few units to our customers and we have not had an issue with the stability.

We have customers in small to medium-sized companies.

We have less than 110 customers that are using this solution.

Their technical support is good, they are responsive. They have been able to resolve all of the issues that we faced.

The installation is easy, and the time it takes depends on the customer's environment. Doing the policies could take additional time.

We have approximately four people that support the solution. We have experience in deploying and maintaining the solution. Though the company could offer better training to us.

Fortinet solutions sell at a very cheap price upfront, but after that maintenance fees, which they keep increasing it can become expensive. I hope Sangfor does not follow that model.

I have evaluated other solutions, such as Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I have clients that are switching from Fortinet to Sangfor NGAF because the price of Fortinet's service is increasing. Sangfor NGAF has good integration with their endpoints which makes it a very attractive offering.

Sangfor is arranging much-needed training for resellers. There needs to be better marketing awareness not for the reseller, but for the consumer here in Malaysia. Sangfor needs to do some advertisements to attract more market awareness. Relying on resellers can be difficult when the market is very large. However, resellers do focus on their product, they also try to engage, and hire more.

I rate Sangfor NGAF an eight out of ten.

Daniel Gerard Diaz - PeerSpot reviewer
      Information Systems Researcher II at National Maritime Polytechnic
      Real-time reports are great but filtering could be improved
      • "We can utilize our own network rather than paying for a private one."
      • "Lacks consistency in terms of filtering certain websites and applications."

What is our primary use case?

Sangfor NGAF is our gateway to the ISP. We also use it to filter the website that our employees deploy to the firewall and for access to our systems through the web.

How has it helped my organization?

Sangfor reports on any intrusions and in real-time so you can immediately whitelist or blacklist these reported intrusions. It makes our work easier because we previously used Microsecond which required a significant manual effort.

What is most valuable?

I really like the VPN. Instead of paying for a private network we can utilize our own internet service provider, and use our connection to run access.

What needs improvement?

For some reason, Sangfor doesn't filter certain websites and applications. It should recognize them and utilize the bandwidth between applications. Also, if we try to block YouTube or Facebook videos, some users will use applications like Syphon for viewing so our bandwidth is still being utilized for non-work purposes. It might detect that somebody is using Syphon, but it cannot be blocked. It's not consistent, sometimes one user can be blocked while another will have access.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The solution is stable and it really protects our systems and the data within our company.

What we are using now doesn't have the SFP, only the ethernet ports. We'd need to purchase a different model to accommodate the one with SFP because what we have now doesn't accommodate additional expansion slots for SFP Plus. We probably have 100 users who communicate with our head office from outside our region.

We don't have a lot of problems but if we do, there is access to 24/7 support, whether it's chat support or email support. If there's an issue we make contact.

The initial setup was very straightforward and deployment took less than a day. We had one in-house person responsible for deployment and we use the solution every day.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution seven out of 10.

Download our free Sangfor NGAF Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
      Updated: November 2022