IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Sangfor NGAF OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sangfor NGAF is #23 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Sangfor NGAF an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Sangfor NGAF is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Sangfor NGAF vs Fortinet FortiGate. Sangfor NGAF is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 50% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 43% of all views.

Download the Firewalls Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Sangfor NGAF?

Sangfor Next Generation Firewall (also known as NGAF) is a converged security solution providing protection against advanced threat, malware, viruses, ransomware and web-based attacks using integrated security features like firewall, IPS, anti-virus, anti-malware, APT, URL filtering, Cloud Sandbox, and WAF. As the world's first AI-enabled and fully integrated Next Generation Firewall & Web Application Firewall (WAF), NGAF offering the security visibility, real-time detection and response, simplified operation and maintenance and high-performance application layer security needed to operate an enterprise network in total security. Tested and proven to provide cutting-edge network security by ICSA Labs and endorsed by Gartner Inc., NGAF harnesses the power of Sangfor’s Neural-X threat intelligence and analytics platform and Engine Zero’s innovative malware detection to provide next-generation protection for today’s enterprise.

Sangfor NGAF was previously known as Sangfor NGAF Firewall Platform.

Sangfor NGAF Customers

The Ministry of Science, Technology, and Innovation (Indonesia), Lawson, Inc. (Philippines), Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin (Indonesia), TEK Automotive (Italy), etc.

Sangfor NGAF Video

Sangfor NGAF Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Sangfor NGAF pricing:
  • "The price could be more competitive."
  • "The price is unmatcheable."
  • "Sangfor NGAF price is reasonable and there is an annual license. However, the maintenance cost can be a bit high."
  • "For four to five physical appliances for a licensed firewall, it costs approximately $4,000."
  • "Sangfor is cheaper than competing vendors."
  • "When it comes to the price of firewall solutions, Sangfor NGAF takes the cake."
  • Sangfor NGAF Reviews

SaadAziz - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager IT at Sabirs' Group
    A scalable and comprehensive solution that specializes in ransomware detection
    • "Sangfor NGAF specializes in ransomware detection and helps to protect our network from ransomware threats and malware."
    • "The firewall system needs gradual improvements because there are more threats and challenges every day."

What is our primary use case?

Sangfor NGAF specializes in ransomware detection and helps to protect our network from ransomware threats and malware. This is the primary reason we purchased this solution, and we are currently negotiating to upgrade our appliances to volume M5200 Series. Additionally, Sangfor NGAF provides a web application for financial software.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Sangfor NGAF primarily for security, which has helped save our files from being encrypted by ransomware. Our desktop PCs have essential data, like word files and excel documents.

We previously had a ransomware attack on our file server, and Sangfor NGAF protected us by alerting and disconnecting the server from the network.

What needs improvement?

The firewall system needs gradual improvements because there are more threats and challenges in the world every day. Sangfor NGAF has a comprehensive database for ransomware and viruses, but when we compare it to other solutions, the price could be more competitive.

Since we have a very comprehensive solution with Sangfor NGAF, it is hard to identify any additional features we want to add. It already provides good features for ransomware attacks and data recovery. In the past, we wanted encrypted data for a virus to be recoverable, and Sangfor offered the solution.

We have been using Sangfor NGAF for four years. We use it for overall IT infrastructure protection and are currently using version 1 of Model M5100.

We currently deploy a hybrid infrastructure of cloud and on-premises. We use the solution for our accounting and financial software, websites, internet blocking, and other features. Some clients are on the cloud, and others are on-premises. We also have a Sangfor solution that filters the in and out traffic.

July 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Sangfor, Fortinet, Sophos and others in Firewalls. Updated: July 2022.
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is relatively stable. Interestingly, we discontinued the updates and software licenses about a year ago, and the appliance and solutions are still working. In addition, there is no limitation on the license, so services won't stop if it expires. You can also update the license at any time for a partial cost.

This solution is scalable. We can add many features and lengths and expand according to our needs.

The IT specialists and engineers in my organization use this solution. Our whole organization is under the protection of Sangfor NGAF. The solution has footprints in India and Europe and many government agencies use Sangfor NGAF in Pakistan.

For deployment, we needed three people who were all IT specialists, and only one of them was from Sangfor. As a result, we deployed it with very few resources, and there were no recurring charges. Also, most people are very well-versed in technology and can multitask.

The technical support team was very helpful, provided support, and guided us during our initial deployment. We were good to go in 15 to 20 minutes.

We previously used Sophos and pfSense, an open-source firewall.

The initial setup was very straightforward. The solution is out of the box, and the software and appliance can be quickly installed. It has a very nice AI feature, and we only needed to implement parameters and define some policies. The deployment took 15 to 20 minutes because we had to get familiar with the new system.

We defined WAN and LAN networks for our implementation strategy and then defined the servers. Next, we identified the modes and decided the desktop would be the best. There were other considerations but it has been four years, so it is hard to remember all of them.

We completed our deployment in-house.

We have seen a return on investment. The systems are protected, and their operating systems are readily available. We are protected from ransomware attacks and the loss of data. This solution protects us, and it has benefits.

On a scale of one to ten, with one being the cheapest, I rate the price a six out of ten. There are no hidden or additional costs other than what we were provided. Therefore, we are happy with our initial decisions.

We evaluated other options and completed some financial comparisons but the IT specialists advised that Sangfor NGAF worked well.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this product an eight out of ten because we don't know what we may need from this solution in the future. We are satisfied and hope to upgrade to a new version soon. However, right now, our current version is working fine.

In terms of advice, we would recommend Sangfor NGAF. But, a company should first prepare an analysis, compare different products, and then decide what they want.

Hybrid Cloud
    Babar_Ahmed - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head Of Solutions at Mutex Systems
    Great pricing, reliable stability, and easy to deploy
    • "We've found the technical support to be helpful."
    • "They need to increase the number of ports in the firewall."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily provide this solution to our clients. We are providing services at financial institutions. We provide features based on customer requirements.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers some decent features. The assessment feature, for example, is a highly rated feature in Sangfor. It has options that aren't available on other products.

It's a very reliable solution.

The deployment process is very straightforward.

The stability is excellent.

We've found the technical support to be helpful.

The pricing is very good.

All the next-generation firewalls are providing the features Sangfor is already providing. It offers a good vulnerability assessment. This feature is not available on other devices. This feature allows for access to the endpoints and gives visibility to the vulnerabilities in Sangfor.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the solution offered SD-WAN capabilities. It's not as good as what is offered by Fortinet, for example.

They need to increase the number of ports in the firewall. Both Fortinet and Sophos, for example, provide many more than what Sangfor provides.

I've been working with the solution since about 2018. It's been a few years at this point.

The solution is very stable. We haven't had any issues with any of our customers. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's extremely reliable.

We have about 50 different customers who have used the solution.

The technical support is very good. Many products don't offer technical support in Pakistan. However, Sangfor does, which gives them an advantage. Their technical experts are right here and not in some other time zone or speaking some other language. If any customer faces any issues, they can go directly to the customer site. If a partner cannot rectify the situation, the customer has the option of going right to Sangfor. I would say that our clients have been satisfied so far.

I've previously worked with other solutions, such as Sophos and Fortinet. They are better for enterprise-sized organizations. Sangfor is better for smaller businesses. It's much more cost-effective.

We did not have an issue with the initial setup. The solution has a Wizard that basically walks you through the process. It's easy. It's not overly complex or difficult to execute.

The pricing is good. It's an affordable option for smaller companies.

What other advice do I have?

We are Sangfor Gold partners.

I'd recommend this solution for the SMB market, as it is cost-effective and reliable. If a company is enterprise-sized, something like Sophos may be more suitable.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

July 2022
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Muhammad  USman - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Presales Consultant at Megaplus
    Great bandwidth management and vulnerability assessment
    • "In four steps one can configure the entire firewall."
    • "I believe that IAM and NGFW need to merge into a single box, instead of there being two separate box solutions."

What is our primary use case?

I believe I am using the recently updated firmware of version 4.0.

What is most valuable?

User-wise, the bandwidth management is one of the most valuable features. Also, certain features are available in the NGFW.

The solution self-diagnoses everything, which we refer to as vulnerability assessment. It automatically runs on one's network and lists the pros and cons. I consider it to be very catchy.

What needs improvement?

I believe that IAM and NGFW need to merge into a single box, instead of there being two separate box solutions.

I have been working with Sangfor NGAF for around three years.

So far, the solution has shown itself to be very stable.

The solution is scalable and I can upgrade it to 40, which I consider to be a good thing.

Technical support is very good. In a single call, the support person can come on site or address ones needs remotely within minutes.

Prior to Sangfor NGAF we worked with Fortinet.

We switched because the previous solution did not readily make available support personnel. Also, while we considered the product to be stable, we felt the support to be very slow.

The setup was easy from the get go. In four steps one can configure the entire firewall.

Give or take, it took no more than two or three hours.

The price is very cheap. It cannot be matched.

While Palo Alto claims to be pioneers in vulnerability assessment and risk management, I could not find references on the website to support this. Only Sangfor firewall has the requisite vulnerability assessment.

Moreover, Palo Alto and Sangfor are pretty much equal in terms of technology and interfaces. I was doing research to verify the vulnerability and risk assessments claims promoted on the website, as I was unable to find these.

What other advice do I have?

I am a customer and use Sangfor NGAF 5600 in my premises.

There are more than 2,000 users making use of the solution in my company.

The solution is quite safe and good. Furthermore, it is very good for different environments.

I rate Sangfor NGAF as a nine-point-five out of ten.

Owner at InternetWorld Solutions Sdn Bhd
    Reseller
    Integrates well, high performance, and responsive support
    • "Sangfor NGAF works accordingly with our customers. The solution has good performance, easy to use, and integrates well with the endpoints."

What is our primary use case?

Sangfor NGAF can be used as a firewall for protecting servers, data, users, and access to the internet.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Sangfor NGAF for approximately one year.

We have sold a few units to our customers and we have not had an issue with the stability.

We have customers in small to medium-sized companies.

We have less than 110 customers that are using this solution.

Their technical support is good, they are responsive. They have been able to resolve all of the issues that we faced.

The installation is easy, and the time it takes depends on the customer's environment. Doing the policies could take additional time.

We have approximately four people that support the solution. We have experience in deploying and maintaining the solution. Though the company could offer better training to us.

Fortinet solutions sell at a very cheap price upfront, but after that maintenance fees, which they keep increasing it can become expensive. I hope Sangfor does not follow that model.

I have evaluated other solutions, such as Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I have clients that are switching from Fortinet to Sangfor NGAF because the price of Fortinet's service is increasing. Sangfor NGAF has good integration with their endpoints which makes it a very attractive offering.

Sangfor is arranging much-needed training for resellers. There needs to be better marketing awareness not for the reseller, but for the consumer here in Malaysia. Sangfor needs to do some advertisements to attract more market awareness. Relying on resellers can be difficult when the market is very large. However, resellers do focus on their product, they also try to engage, and hire more.

I rate Sangfor NGAF an eight out of ten.

Daniel Gerard Diaz - PeerSpot reviewer
      Information Systems Researcher II at National Maritime Polytechnic
      Real-time reports are great but filtering could be improved
      • "We can utilize our own network rather than paying for a private one."
      • "Lacks consistency in terms of filtering certain websites and applications."

What is our primary use case?

Sangfor NGAF is our gateway to the ISP. We also use it to filter the website that our employees deploy to the firewall and for access to our systems through the web.

How has it helped my organization?

Sangfor reports on any intrusions and in real-time so you can immediately whitelist or blacklist these reported intrusions. It makes our work easier because we previously used Microsecond which required a significant manual effort.

What is most valuable?

I really like the VPN. Instead of paying for a private network we can utilize our own internet service provider, and use our connection to run access.

What needs improvement?

For some reason, Sangfor doesn't filter certain websites and applications. It should recognize them and utilize the bandwidth between applications. Also, if we try to block YouTube or Facebook videos, some users will use applications like Syphon for viewing so our bandwidth is still being utilized for non-work purposes. It might detect that somebody is using Syphon, but it cannot be blocked. It's not consistent, sometimes one user can be blocked while another will have access.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The solution is stable and it really protects our systems and the data within our company.

What we are using now doesn't have the SFP, only the ethernet ports. We'd need to purchase a different model to accommodate the one with SFP because what we have now doesn't accommodate additional expansion slots for SFP Plus. We probably have 100 users who communicate with our head office from outside our region.

We don't have a lot of problems but if we do, there is access to 24/7 support, whether it's chat support or email support. If there's an issue we make contact.

The initial setup was very straightforward and deployment took less than a day. We had one in-house person responsible for deployment and we use the solution every day.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution seven out of 10.

Teamlead IT Core at SoloInsight Inc.
      Reseller
      Next generation firewall that is scalable and one of the best on the market
      • "Sangfor is a good solution that provides a WAF and firewall solution. Most other vendors, like Sophos and Fortinet and Cisco, only provide one solution. That's a valuable feature of Sangfor."
      • "Sangfor could improve their interface capacity on the 5100 series model and upgrade their hardware from one gig to 10 gig. This would improve the overall throughput."

What is our primary use case?

Sangfor is an on-prem firewall I use for my local infrastructure. It is used as an aggregated interface. Behind Sangfor, I have built a data center that is deployed on high availability using a model that is 5100 CV with 10 gig ports.

What is most valuable?

Sangfor is a good solution that provides a WAF and firewall solution. Most other vendors, like Sophos and Fortinet and Cisco, only provide one solution. That's a valuable feature of Sangfor.

What needs improvement?

I have used this solution for the last six months.

This is a scalable solution. We have approximately 1,000 users.

The technical support team are available 24/7 and if we need any assistance for Sangfor, FortiGate or Sophos, we can call their support number and they provide assistance from their L2 or L3 engineers.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It's very easy to set up because Sangfor provided us with export and HCI capabilities. Deployment took almost one week.

The process starts with low level design for internal teams to make a design on network requirements. This contains all current and future requirements.

For four to five physical appliances for a licensed firewall, it costs approximately $4,000.

What other advice do I have?

We have six people managing IT operations. We have not had any issues in the first six months of using this solution.

If you want to deploy a firewall in your infrastructure, Fortinet, Sangfor and Sophos are the best solutions to protect traffic.

Hybrid Cloud
      M.IMRAN-1500894 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Deputy Manager IT at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
      Priced well with good end-user security features, but the web interface should be more user-friendly
      • "Sangfor has the best capabilities for securing connections, securing web browsers, securing servers, and general threat protection."
      • "The web interface needs to be improved, making it more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product as an intrusion prevention system.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable part of this product is the set of end-user security features.

What needs improvement?

The web interface needs to be improved, making it more user-friendly.

I have been working Sangfor for the last 20 years. I have only recently installed the NGAF, so I am still learning about it.

The initial set was easy.

I installed it myself.

Sangfor is cheaper than competing vendors.

I evaluated several other options and found that Palo Alto and Sangfor were the best two. Ultimately, I chose Sangfor.

Price-wise, Sangfor was cheaper than the others and Palo Alto was more expensive than Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that if you have a large enough budget then implement Palo Alto. Alternatively, with a lesser budget, I recommend using Sangfor.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Product Manger
      A most cost-effective solution
      • "While the features are not dissimilar to other brands, configuration is much more simple, which works out great for Indonesian people."
      • "The solution has too many bugs and these slow down the implementation."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers purchase Sangfor NGAF primarily out of budgetary considerations. Sangfor enables high power internet access. Indonesia has a big market, not only as concerns the firewall.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution has too many bugs and these slow down the implementation. The software should be updated to account for this.

We have not received complaints from our customers about the solution's stability.

We have not received complaints from our customers about the solution's scalability.

So far, we have not had occasion to contact tech support.

As we are a distributor, we have our own maintenance team.

When it comes to the price of firewall solutions, Sangfor NGAF takes the cake. It is cheaper than Fortinet, Sophos, Check Point and Palo Alto.

What other advice do I have?

I would no longer offer Sangfor, as I have ceased to be its distributor. I am now a distributor for Check Point.

I rate Sangfor NGAF as an eight out of ten, owing to its bugs.

Download our free Firewalls Report and find out what your peers are saying about Sangfor, Fortinet, Sophos, and more!
      Updated: July 2022