Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Postman OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Postman is #1 ranked solution in API Monitoring Software and #6 ranked solution in top API Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Postman an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Postman is most commonly compared to Apache JMeter: Postman vs Apache JMeter. Postman is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
Postman Buyer's Guide

Download the Postman Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Postman?

Postman's Tools Support Every Stage of the API Lifecycle. Through design, testing and full production, Postman is there for faster, easier API development - without the chaos.

Postman Customers
PayPal, Shopify, Microsoft, Adobe, Atlassian, Twitter, BestBuy, Coursera
Postman Video

Archived Postman Reviews (more than two years old)

Software QA Test Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reliable and allows you to create and share collections with team members
  • "What is most valuable for me is that we can create and share collections between the team members."
  • "An area that needs some improvement would be to allow multiple windows with different collections to be open at the same time."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Postman for our testing and checking our API response and validations.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

An area that needs some improvement would be to allow multiple windows with different collections to be open at the same time.

It only allows you to open one with the same collection.

If we open a new Postman window, it does not allow me to have the same collection as I had in the previous window. Allowing us to have replicas of the same collection open independently would be helpful.

I would like to see if it can incorporate Jenkins integrations.

I have been using Postman for five years.

Postman
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Postman. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a stable solution. It's running well.

Scalability is not for load testing.

You cannot scale vertically. You can only scale horizontally.

I haven't contacted technical support, but they do have good documentation available online.

We are using the free version that is available.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good tool overall and quite stable.

It is mainly used for testing purposes, API responses, and validations.

Programmer Analyst at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to manage with very good scalability

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for responses. I'm a user and work as a programmer analyst.

What is most valuable?

This is an easy solution to manage.

What needs improvement?

The solution can be confusing for first-time users so it could be made a little more user friendly. It's just click and proceed but still confusing if you haven't used it before.

I've been using this solution for three years.

No problems with stability.

The scalability is good. I've used it in a company where there were around 200 people. It's generally used by an IT team.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Postman
September 2022
634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Software Quality Assurance Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We can easily define the variables and it gets automatically updated
  • "The variables part is good. We can easily define the variables and we don't have to manually do a change every time, it gets automatically updated."
  • "If we have a certain build on one machine it won't work with another build even if we are using the same URL. It would give us a connection refuse. So developing environment compatibility would make it better."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Postman is API testing for our product. We haven't automated the request and response part yet, like how we used to do for automation scripts. Basically, we are just shooting the URL's and recording the response. As of now we have multiple API's and we are using the collection so that we can run it together in a single flow, like an automation execution.

Then we use the basic variables and the collection variables. We even saw that we have some additional validation through the response code and the status code, like if there is an expired date then we should be expecting 200 status codes. We are doing those kinds of things now. We have been using Postman for the API testing for two to three month.

What is most valuable?

The variables part is good. We can easily define the variables and we don't have to manually do a change every time, it gets automatically updated. Secondly, I like the validation feature which is required for our automation testing. This way we can see that our test case passed. I think we could add some more validation but we need to do more research on that. For example, how can we play with it and find the response code and the other statuses? We need to do more research on how we can validate the exact response and the code, and how we get the response messages.

We prefer Postman as it is the most usable solution. It's really accessible. We also use SoapUI for API testing. But we prefer Postman, based on the reviews, based on our research, and how easily the solutions are available if we get stuck somewhere.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what can be improved, I would expect extra features that would make our work easier.

I just saw that it's functioning is based on the machine. Meaning, if we have a certain build on one machine it won't work with another build even if we are using the same URL. It would give us a connection refuse. So developing environment compatibility would make it better.

Other than that, I don't see anything more to improve. As it is now, I get for a return whatever I am expecting. That's why I gave it a seven or an eight. Because I'm not expecting much on that portion.

Because, we are mostly focused on that I would expect more validation points.

In terms of stability, it didn't crash or take time to load or anything like that. We did not face any issues with stability. It's a very old tool, so it's been used a lot. It gets daily usage.

Right now, two to three people are testing it and other people are joining in. We have individually different user ID's and we don't have to go chasing anything because we are using the free version now. Because we are not using the paid version I won't be able to see the scalability yet because we are just doing the basic stuff, such as a request hit and run.

The initial setup is very straightforward. We just have to download and do the setup. We already have the collection so we just have to share it with the teams and import the project. Furthermore, we didn't create the project and we had to do everything manually before creating the variables and still the installation was not complex.

We also use SoapUI.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten I would rate it an eight.

MichaelDu Preez - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good for anything API-related and has a good interface
  • "The interface and the different types of API methods you can use are the most valuable aspects of this solution."
  • "The pricing should be adjusted for the Pro plan."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for API testing.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The pricing should be adjusted for the Pro plan.

I have been using Postman for over a year.

It is quite stable. I don't use it quite extensively but for what I use it for it's quite stable.

At my current company there are around 2,000 users.

I haven't used technical support. The documentation is quite good. I use the Postman website and forums.

The deployment depends on what you are going to use it for. It can be simple and it can be complex at the same time.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to anything API related, I would recommend this solution. For anything API-related, it's perfect. REST API is the way to go and I would recommend Postman for it.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

The pricing is the only improvement. Its competitors are quite pricey. But it would be nice if there were more options like annual, monthly or enterprise-level.

Hybrid Cloud
Girish Khileganvi - PeerSpot reviewer
QA Lead at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Offers good data-driven automation and response validation but the fields should be more organized
  • "We can also submit requests multiple times and it allows us to capture the response each time by using utility scripts."
  • "I would like that if you click on one of the fields you should be able to see the entire row of fields, names, and values."

What is our primary use case?

Almost all the teams here depend on the APIs, which are built-in SOAP or JSON. We have multiple teams testing JSON and they use Postman. There are multiple applications teams that integrate their interfaces with APIs, and they use the Postman.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to test APIs with different kinds of data by keying in the data from Excel sheets and using it to test APIs in Postman. But now, our testing is more data-driven.

What is most valuable?

Among the valuable features are

• data-driven automation
  • response validation
  • testing of the performance of APIs.

We can also submit requests multiple times and it allows us to capture the response each time by using utility scripts.

What needs improvement?

When you get a response, for example, if you search the response and want to know how many numbers of fields, it displays 10 times. If a purchase has five to 10 cards in the response, instead of one of the fields being mandatory, it has to be part of each section of the cards. I would like that if you click on one of the fields you should be able to see the entire row of fields, names, and values.

Half of my career has been on web service testing only, and we have used Postman for JSON testing. For SOAP, we use ReadyAPI.

We only use Postman for JSON testing, but we don't have any issue with it.

We have also had no issues with scalability.

We have not had to contact Postman's technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. It takes a maximum of five to 10 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

The deployment is done by the development team. We have a giant scrum we follow. Development does the deployment using XL Deploy. And right now they are not using Jenkins.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Kumara Subramanian - PeerSpot reviewer
Director Web Technologies at Thapovan Info Systems Inc.
Easy to set up, and the Workspace is very helpful for working from different locations
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is Collections."
  • "I have display issues in my Windows that need to be fixed."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is Collections. It perfectly suits a microservice factor.

The workspace is very useful. You can save configurations in their cloud so that you can access them from home, or at the office because you log in to the same account. You don't have to recreate them.

What needs improvement?

I have display issues in my Windows that need to be fixed.

I have been using this solution for more than a year.

This is a stable solution. It's perfect.

We have between fifty and sixty employees who are all using this solution. We do not have plans to increase usage at this time.

I have not yet needed technical support for this solution.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup of this solution is simple and pretty much straightforward.

I can just open up a tab and use it.

We have perhaps ten people who maintain this solution

We are currently using the free version, but we have plans to buy a license.

I tried another solution but it was incompatible.

What other advice do I have?

I'm perfectly happy with this solution and I'm really enjoying it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Sr Testing Consultant at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can test APIs. We know if they are functional or throwing any errors.
  • "It's user-friendly. Anybody can learn it within five to seven minutes."
  • "We are using the automation and performance testing tools."
  • "We can test APIs. We know if they are functional or throwing any errors."
  • "We cannot see transaction times in the product."
  • "It should be able to check the records and compare them to the regression testing more on the automation side."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to test the API service for the GET and the POST. For this type of test, it is working properly for the APIs. It tests for the minimum usage of Postman. Also, if developers insist in collections, then we can share these collections as well.

How has it helped my organization?

1. We can test APIs. We know if they are functional or throwing any errors.
  2. We can use the code for performance testing.

What is most valuable?

• It is easy to use.
  • It's free.
  • It's user-friendly. Anybody can learn it within five to seven minutes.
  • We are using the automation and performance testing tools.

What needs improvement?

We would like to create an entire suite where we can check the contents of the definition, like the server file. It should be able to check the records and compare them to the regression testing more on the automation side.

We cannot see transaction times in the product.

You can send it multiple tests at one time.

We have not used technical support yet.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It was easy to install, because it is a very lightweight application.

It is free.

I am searching for other options now.

What other advice do I have?

We started using this solution because we have a requirement to do more integration testing and automated regression testing.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Saves time.
  • Creates automate processes.
  • Easy to use.
  • Easy to understand.
  • Provides knowledge transfer.
  • Less coding involved.
  • Does not take up a lot of memory.
  • Cost.