IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Oracle Application Testing Suite OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Application Testing Suite is #8 ranked solution in top Load Testing Tools, #12 ranked solution in top Performance Testing Tools, and #24 ranked solution in top Functional Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle Application Testing Suite an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle Application Testing Suite is most commonly compared to Tricentis Tosca: Oracle Application Testing Suite vs Tricentis Tosca. Oracle Application Testing Suite is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 34% of all views.

Download the Performance Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Oracle Application Testing Suite?
Application Testing Suite is a comprehensive, integrated testing solution that ensures the quality, scalability, and availability of your Web applications, Web Services, packaged Oracle Applications and Oracle databases.

Oracle Application Testing Suite was previously known as OATS.

Oracle Application Testing Suite Customers
Comic Relief UK, The Forestry Commission, TAFE SA, Silentnight Group, Victorian Department of Primary Industries
Oracle Application Testing Suite Video

Archived Oracle Application Testing Suite Reviews (more than two years old)

OATS Automation Test Lead at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to use, good central test repository, and responsive technical support
  • "The most valuable features are functional testing and the central repository that contains various scripts."
  • "The dashboards need to be simplified and made more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use OATS for Oracle Forms, for functional testing. It is integrated with several other Oracle products. Sometimes we use it on a daily basis, although it depends on the projects that are being worked on at the time. We also use it for training and development purposes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are functional testing and the central repository that contains various scripts. Apart from the dashboard, the interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The dashboards need to be simplified and made more user-friendly. This is the main improvement that I would like to see.

I have been using the Oracle Application Testing Suite for ten years.
Performance Testing Tools
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Micro Focus, Apache and others in Performance Testing Tools. Updated: June 2022.
610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is a really stable solution.

It is easy to scale and we have had no issues with that. We have about 25 users.

We have been in contact with technical support a couple of times. They are very responsive and have been able to resolve our issues immediately.

We did not use another solution for functional testing, prior to this one.

The initial setup is very easy. Any person with minimal knowledge and install and deploy it. The deployment will take approximately two hours.

The return on investment is very good.

There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, Oracle Application Testing Suite is very easy to use and you can create a good framework for developing and testing. If the dashboard were improved then it would be perfect. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner, reseller
Senior QA Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Doesn't require a separate management tool but it is lacking support
  • "We do not need a separate test management tool because we have there is a management tool. That is a very good feature. Secondly, it has an inbuilt performance testing tool, which is on flash. It has very good record and playback features as well. And apart from that, there is a good inspection feature. Since it comes with all of the packages, it's very good."
  • "We like that we don't need a separate management tool. This is a good feature. It also has an inbuilt performance tool which is on Flash. It has very good record and playback feature as well. The inspection tool is also very good. Overall, since it comes with all the three packages, it's very good."
  • "The pathfinding at times is slow when we are using it. The tool's performance can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use the cloud deployment model for this solution.

What is most valuable?

We like that we don't need a separate management tool. This is a good feature. It also has an inbuilt performance tool which is on Flash. It has very good record and playback features as well. The inspection tool is also very good. Overall, since it comes with all the three packages, it's very good.

It has a very good inbuilt reporting system.

What needs improvement?

There is no support for this particular tool and you don't have a very big knowledge base on Google. It should order the tests so that you can automatically write a path and test it on it. The object identification feature can be enabled and leveraged to other levels and there's some kind of knowledge base. These are the two main areas that need improvement.

The pathfinding at times is slow when we are using it. The tool's performance can be improved.

The third thing, is the help and the support or the knowledge base needs improvement. Otherwise, it's overall a very good tool.

It should have proper integration with CI/CD tools or any plugins. There's good documentation with Jenkins or JIRA.

It should be a little more flexible like Selenium for the user to try with different locators or the different writing of XPath. The slowness can be identified and when we try to automate any internet, the application which can only be opened in Internet Explorer has some challenges.

It needs better automation. I think it is there but some enhancements should be done. Overall, it is a very good tool that is better than some other automation tools on the market. It supports various entrepreneur platform applications and applications developed with different coding background and it's all very good.

I have been using this solution for around four years.

It's a stable one except for one or two incidents, it's stable.

It has good scalability. It can integrate it with CI/CD tools and all those things. There is no inbuilt configuration or setups available to link it with other tools or scale it with other CI/CD tools. Those tools are lacking configuration abilities. It's a lack of knowledge from our side of the this because of the unavailability of the knowledge base. We haven't tried with different stops.

We have around seven or eight users using this solution. We require two staff members for the deployment and maintenance.

I would rate their technical support 2.5 out of ten.

I have only used Oracle. I didn't use a previous solution.

What other advice do I have?

It's really a very good tool. My advice to somebody considering this solution is to speak to the vendor, make sure to make your requirements clear and have clear answers from the vendor's side. Ask what support is available and what the scalability terms are and what features are available to integrate with CI/CD tools.

The tool is very good. There's no doubt about it so. In terms of the properties or object identification media, there could be some more or better documentation, a better knowledge base or better enhancements should be available.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Performance Testing Tools
June 2022
610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user956064 - PeerSpot reviewer
Marketing & Business Development Project Manager with 51-200 employees
The function test feature is valuable but it needs better dashboards
  • "The function test feature is valuable."
  • "I would like to see better dashboards."

How has it helped my organization?

Helps us to reduce the workload to check the system. It saves us a lot of time to do the testing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you can play back to do the function test.

What needs improvement?

We want to have some script that can be used in different instances. The URN can be added and then retraced, so that we can use the script. Right now we have to record the script for each instance so the workload is a bit higher.

Room for improvement would be for the reporting features. If they could improve the dashboards, that would be helpful.

What other advice do I have?

The software is mature and easy to use but there is room for improvement.

Product Manager - Cloudtestr, Test Automation Evangelist at Cloudtestr
MSP
The three tools which I used most were Winrunner, QTP and OATS. I feel OATS is best.
  • "User friendly UI / Tree view to work with adding steps."
  • "To provide test automation support for other products like SAP, Windows and Java Applications when it comes to Functional Test Automation testing."

What is most valuable?

1. Java as native supported language.
  2. User friendly UI / Tree view to work with adding steps.
  3. The initial kick of time of a functional test automation script is lesser than other popular tools like QTP. But not as quick as selenium :). But selenium supports of automation of only web applications.
  4. Stable enough for Oracle EBS Applications and other products of Oracle, there are some components which are not recognized by other test automation products but are recognized by OATS ( Oracle Application Testing Suite )

What needs improvement?

To provide test automation support for other products like SAP, Windows and Java Applications when it comes to Functional Test Automation testing. Which otherwise they have a pretty good coverage to test all Cloud or Web Based applications.

I have used for about 8 years now, had worked with this tool from the time of inception at oracle, as I had worked at ORACLE for 7.5 years and used OATS for most of the time. It was our default solution for test automation of Oracle EBS Applications.

OATS 12.5.0.2 has a pretty smooth installation process.

In budding stages, the product had serious stability issues, but ORACLE has put its best people behind and made the product quite stable. Now I feel its the best tool to automate any of the Oracle Products, which include Oracle EBS Applications, PeopleSoft, JD Edwards, Siebel, Adobe Flex, ADF applications, etc..

The technical support on Linkedin Groups and Direct support are good, would rate it as 4 out of 5

We used Winrunner earlier and later HP had stopped its support so we had to switch to another Test automation product and when an internal tool could support, there was no point in paying to external companies, while I was working with ORACLE

Simple and easy

There was huge ROI, as we stopped all Licenses that were paid to HP and used something internally at ORACLE

ORACLE is giving at a very competitive rates to all its customers, and its a simple licensing process.

Yes, we tried with QTP, but it was doing no good than internal tool for test automation of Oracle EBS Applications.

What other advice do I have?

It's a really amazing solution, which I have ever used, three tools which I used most were Winrunner, QTP and OATS. I feel OATS is best, even now I am out of ORACLE I believe OATS has much more value, compared to others. and I liked it so much that I started writing my experiences over my personal blog which is http://testingtools.co

Manager - Network, Server, Storage and Virtualization at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Automation with recorded scripting allows customized scenarios to be created and edited. It does not provide easy diagnostics for end-to-end transaction monitoring.

What is most valuable?

Automation with recorded scripting: This is a nice feature, which allows customized testing scenarios to be created and edited depending on the testing needs at the time.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed more thorough testing with performance-based testing, in addition to regression testing and regular testing with each software release.

What needs improvement?

It does not provide easy diagnostics to ascertain end to end transaction monitoring. It shows statistics on individual class calls and it is challenging to aggregate the data into a single end-to-end transaction based on a single individual user experience.

We have used this solution for over two years.

No issues with deployment.

No stability issues encountered.

A system integrator installed the tool and has provided the support and expertise to initially run the testing and train our staff.

The tool is expensive to purchase and use based on licensing requirements for number of users.

QA Engineer at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
We can use the same automated test script for functional testing.

Valuable Features:

This is the best tool I have used till today as it allows us to handle automation in variety of ways. It has lots of features which are bundled together in a single package (e.g. OTM, OFT). We can use the same automated test script for functional testing. Lots of features are there in it. Best tool for automation on Siebel Object.

Room for Improvement:

1. Need to improve in Object Identification process.
  2. Performance is slow as compared to other tools like QTP.
  3. Internet Explorer is facing difficulties in identifying siebel object so browser functionality needs to be improved etc.

Other Advice:

In the past one year, I have worked on the upgraded version of OATS 11.2 and its has some good features with includes automation API for Peoplesoft automation, good log management and improved version of interface. Although it has few issues with Oracle Siebel Object Identification which is sorted by Oracle by providing patch. I will update you further in the coming months.

QA Engineer at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It's user friendly and in-built API support makes it very easy to automate or develop an automation framework.

Valuable Features:

Room for Improvement:

Screenshot from the server machine when Script is running on server from OTM and the server logs off. That shouldn't happen.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We have stability issues with the server logging off when a script runs from OTM.

Scalability Issues:

It has scaled for our needs.

it_user372546 - PeerSpot reviewer
Test Consultant at a government with 501-1,000 employees
​This product can facilitate the lowering of test execution times for operational people. Improvement in performance and stabilizing record/playback in the EBS forms option is needed.

What is most valuable?

OpenScript and several objects that can be used in scripting. Option to Iterate over scripts is good. It allows you to run the same script for different instances. The report that is generated is quite detailed and useful, only becomes too big (MB's) when running several scripts.

How has it helped my organization?

This product can facilitate the lowering of test execution times for operational people. In other words, the bulk of the (repeating) test steps can be taken away by automating the EBS regression set in OpenScript, every release. After the automated regression set has run, all standard EBS functionalities have been tested and Employees only have to validate custom pieces of the system, without having to prepare. This takes away a significant amount of man hours.

What needs improvement?

Improvement in performance and stabilizing record/playback in the EBS forms option.

I've used it for three years.

I'm not a developer, but I've heard from the technical people that there limitations programming wise, which brought some limitations.

There's no issues with the stability.

We're an organization with 3,000 employees, and active roll in testing for about 100.

I haven't needed to use technical support.

This product is one of the few products that can run with Oracle Forms (Java servlet applet), and a discount was giving for using this product in combination with licenses for the Oracle e-Business Suite.

I didn't do the install myself, but I've heard that the installation guide wasn't very clear, and some tial and error had to be done to get it working.

We did it in-house.

$80,000 profit after three years, and then $50.000 per year.

What other advice do I have?

Loads of possibilities. I use mostly use the WebForm and EBS forms options. WebForms works fine, but Scripting in the EBS forms option isn't very consistent and stable. During recording and playback errors occur. Elements of forms aren't recognized which makes scripting and playback a time consuming activity.

I advise you to use an isolated server with as much privileges/rights as possible, and limited access to the outside. Restrict connections to needed test environments only. Double the hardware that is stated on the specs for minimum hardware requirements. When scripting, try not to script all, but focus on the part where the expectation is that is will not/minimally change in the coming period. Also, when scripting, try to work in modular way and try to make them re-usable.

it_user365259 - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal and Owner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
You can make your database repository fully redundant and infinitely scalable.

What is most valuable?

One feature that I find valuable and very useful is the ability to use a different version of the database for the repository other than the Oracle Lite DB that it comes with by default. This means you can make your database repository fully redundant and infinitely scalable.

How has it helped my organization?

OATS provides the functionality to institute a corporate-wide standardized method and approach for all types of application testing. This tool is perfect for organizations that do a lot of in-house development and/or regularly perform maintenance. I would say it is a mandatory tool to have and use if your organization is planning to perform a major upgrade or begin a large implementation.

What needs improvement?

There is one piece of functionality that is currently not offered and would be very good to have: Support for Digital Certificates authentication and Single Sign-On (SSO). This method of authentication, to the best of my knowledge, is still not supported by OATS and would be a great addition to the tool.

I used OATS for over five years. While working for Oracle Consulting, I've seen the tool used successfully at numerous clients.

It is easy to deploy.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable.

Within the Oracle ecosystem, OATS has a small but very capable and technically advanced support team. To the best of my knowledge, most of these folks came to Oracle as part of the acquisition process of OATS, meaning they were supporting and/or working in product development of OATS for a long time.

I used HP LoadRunner in the past and do not really have a preference for either OATS or LoadRunner.

The initial set-up/install/deployment is very straightforward and should not present any problems for any reasonably technical person.

While working with Oracle Consulting, I implemented OATS myself personally as a hired Oracle consultant as well as together with clients' in-house teams.

One advice I would give if you are planning to do a multi-node install on Linux/Unix is as follows: Unless your organization is very familiar with the product and complex architectures that require fault tolerance have someone from Oracle Consulting come in for a short engagement, set everything up, document everything and do a knowledge transfer. This way you will be ahead of the curve from the start. From personal experience, any kind of rework is always more costly than doing it right from the start.

It's a little complicated to calculate an ROI of a product that isn't replacing another product. I would say the best way to calculate an ROI is not to focus on OATS and its associated cost, but to calculate the amount rework needed to fix issues if OATS were not to be used.

What other advice do I have?

There are basically only two products that cover the space of Performance/Scalability/Functional Testing on the market. OATS from Oracle and LoadRunner from HP.

One advice for anyone planning to implement OATS: Make sure there is an existing Java skill-set in your organization as OATS' recording language is Java.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I previously worked for Oracle Consulting.
it_user348147 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Test Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helped in running performance testing cycles and identifying the bottlenecks of the application, helping our clients to run their application successfully and smoothly.

Valuable Features

Openscript and Oracle Load Testing (OLT) as I worked on performance testing with this tool.

Improvements to My Organization

Also, I used it for automating manual flows, which helped in saving time and effort in manual testing.

Room for Improvement

Improvements can be made in a number of protocol support areas, including enhanced Citrix support.

Also, the reporting utility for load testing could be improved.

Use of Solution

I've used it for three years.

Garbage collection of our WebLogic server was not working properly when running large volumes of performance tests.

My experiences are good. There is a forum where you can post your issues and experts and others users will answer them.

Also, a service request which will be resolved quickly would be nice. There were a few patches given by the dev team to resolve issues.

Initial setup is straightforward. It will install Oracle Database, WebLogic Server, and other components by itself. At every step you will be prompted on your screen, but no other setups steps are required.

Implementation Team

We implemented it in-house, but only a person who has good experience should be involved in the implementation, otherwise some issues might come later.

Other Advice

If you are using the Oracle bundled application then it is he best tool available in the market. But in some areas it lacks features and protocol support that its competitors, such as HP LoadRunner, have.

You should have a good and experienced person working with it, and also they should take people who have prior Java programming knowledge. The tool uses Eclipse IDE and Java script.

it_user348036 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior QA Engineer at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Test cases and defects are now tracked well in Oracle Test Manager, but Windows 2012 R2 server, deployment is a little bit tricky as .NET Framework 3.5 is not a part of OS distribution.

What is most valuable?

Robustness of Oracle Application Testing Suite to manage end-to-end testing of projects, especially in Oracle ERP implementation projects.

Oracle Application Testing Suite is very good for managing testing through Oracle Test Manager (OTM), automating test cases with Oracle Functional Test (OFT) and conducting performance testing in Oracle Load Test (OLT).

How has it helped my organization?

Implementation of Oracle Application Testing Suite package has increased the overall efficiency. Test cases and defects are now tracked well in Oracle Test Manager which help management to have better visibility and traceability. Increasing automation coverage has been reducing manual efforts in executing test cases and in a recent test cycle automated execution, it saved seven days of manual execution effort in a two-week test cycle.

What needs improvement?

OTM Test Report – We needed to develop custom reports as there is less flexibility.

OFT Support for Non Oracle ERP/CRM Product – As of now OFT supports only Oracle ERP/CRM Products. OFT has to support other vendor’s ERP/CRM packages to increase its base.

I've used it for over five years.

In Windows 7 and in Windows 2008 R2 server deployment is very straight forward. In Windows 2012 R2 server, deployment is a little bit tricky as .NET Framework 3.5 is not a part of OS distribution. One has to separately install it. You have to take care of this before going for installation in 2012 R2 Server. For Linux/Unix deployment you have to be well aware of Unix/Linux OS environment and you need database administration knowledge/support.

It's good, 7/10.

It's good, 7/10.

We switched because of lower licensing costs and it has good support for Oracle ERP/CRM.

It wasn't complex.

We implemented it in-house. Though the initial set up is not very complex, implementation should be done by resources who have good experience in Oracle Application Testing Suite and have a testing background. Database administration knowledge or support is also required.

I don't have specifics, but the product is cheaper than similar products from HP UFT and Quality Center.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Application Testing Suite is best suited for managing testing activities in implementation and upgrade project for Oracle’s ERP/CRM products.

it_user347697 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Performance Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
The scripts are written in Java, so migration from C to Java accelerated and simplified script development. However, the load testing API wasn't rich.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of this and Load Test is simplicity. They are probably not as functional as the corresponding HP products, but you can start using them immediately after installation. Script development platform is based on Eclipse IDE and was much better and stable than LoadRunner VUGen 11.5 and earlier versions.

Load Test has perfect monitoring features. It fully supports JMX (we were able to monitor WebLogic internals in a couple of clicks), modern SNMP versions, flexible custom metrics, etc. We didn’t have any problems with collecting data we wanted from Windows, Linux, Solaris machines, and that’s really great. I can’t compare it with HP SiteScope (don’t have much experience with it), but it definitely beats standalone HP LoadRunner facilities.

I also liked the web interface of the Load Test controller. It supports remote test execution and provides quite convenient API. You don’t have to use separate solution as Performance Center or LoadRunner Analysis to create test reports and provide remote access to your test artifacts.

How has it helped my organization?

The scripts are written in Java, so migration from C (used in our LoadRunner scripts) to Java significantly accelerated and simplified script development. We have also managed to monitor our infrastructure more precisely.

Load Test provides great facilities and templates to monitor other Oracle products and create simpler scripts to automate load test pipeline. You load the script into Load Test, run the test, and generate the report.

What needs improvement?

I’m not sure about the functional testing API, but the load testing one wasn’t rich. We had to extend it by adding lots of functions, but it can be easily done. Transaction handling was very simple and I’d say quite primitive. We were unable to pause, dynamically create them and change their state, such as transaction name and other properties.

API was convenient but too poor, but I know that Oracle has extended it. Reporting features were very simple as well, especially report templates.

We've used it for about a year. We’ve migrated our scripts and related test automation (e.g. report generation) successfully. It wasn’t perfect. We had to migrate our HP LoadRunner 11.5 scripts to Oracle Linux Test, and we had to do a lot of manual work to add features missing in it, such as writing custom functions in scripts, calculate target metrics with SQL on its database, etc. Though it was mostly stable and reliable, Test Management wasn’t. However, things may have changed in updated versions.

As far as I remember, we had lots of issues with Test Management stability, but the recent version are stable. We had several issues with Load Test monitoring, but were quickly fixed by Load Test developers.

It's excellent. We usually got help in a couple of days (hours in critical situations). The Load Test team frequently asked for feedback from our managers and included our suggestions into releases.

We tried a lot of solutions and used HP LoadRunner for six to seven years before switching. When Oracle Application Test Suite became ready for enterprise usage and met our needs, we started to use it, partially because it’s free for usage with other Oracle products.

It was really simple. The installation package can do everything for you (install WebLogic and Oracle XE) or you can customize the process. Anyway installation process is very transparent and flexible.

We did it ourselves with a little assistance from the development team. The documents are a good starting point so almost all of the questions can be addressed after reading the manual.

It was completely free for us, because we use it with other Oracle products.

What other advice do I have?

It is a simple yet useful tool for performance testing. Compared with LoadRunner, it’s definitely less functional. I’d recommend you to try their free (development) version to understand what it does and does not.

OATS Engineer-Onsite Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Functionality testing tool need improvement but Load Test has been helpful in testing performance and scalability.

What is most valuable?

We were using OATS as part of an Oracle-EBS Implementation project in Middle East for an Oil Field Service Company.

We also used OATS in Automation and Functional/Performance testing for HRMS, Financial, Projects, and SCM modules

The Product as a whole is an integrated package with excellent co-relation with all Oracle Applications and any web-based application. The Functional testing module called Open script is especially very useful in Automation Testing of any web-based application or Oracle Project.

How has it helped my organization?

OATS has played a major role in expediting the testing and Performance Analysis of Oracle-EBS application. It has played a tangible role in meeting the Project deadline and helped in the Go-live of various components of EBS.

The Performance testing tool called Oracle Load Test has been helpful in testing the Performance and scalability of the application.

What needs improvement?

There are certain bugs which were present but was cleared in subsequent releases of application, but still there is room for improvement in the Functionality testing tool when Automating form-based applications.

The application under test (Oracle EBS) was thoroughly tested using OATS and issues were rarely found.

Issues with scalability for the application under test was found using Oracle Load testing tool which is part of the OATS Package.  The applications then remained stable after Go-Live.

We didn’t find any scalability issues with the application as we had successfully implemented and worked with this application in an MNC.

We had raised a Service request regarding OLT (Oracle Load test) tool with Oracle and the customer service was prompt.

We had used HP QTP, QC for projects involving Oracle Applications and found the correlation very difficult, but OATS works like a charm…it’s stable and the coding we need to use is not very complex.

Initial setup of OATS is a straightforward process but care should be taken while installing in server.

The product was implemented by our in-house team.

ROI is very good considering the advantages of using this product like reducing implementation time and ensuring quality of the product/Software you are implementing.

The great thing about this product is it is free of cost , but if you need advanced support from Oracle then you can buy certain module of this project from Oracle.

The product is the go-to product for all Oracle Applications because of the compatibility and correlation with Oracle Applications.

We had used HP QTP for a project involving Oracle-EBS and found the correlation very difficult.

What other advice do I have?

You can make the Testing and Automation more efficient using OATS and can ensure that whatever application you are implementing, whether it be an Oracle Application or any web based application is thoroughly tested and the quality is ensured.

it_user37545 - PeerSpot reviewer
Quality Assurance at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sorting tests is pretty easy but updating somebody’s account access sometimes had unexpected and bad results

What is most valuable?

Test Manager “TESTS”

How has it helped my organization?

1. I can organize test scripts pretty well.

2. The custom dashboard views are nice to look at.

3. Sorting tests is pretty easy.

What needs improvement?

1. The installation routine desperately needs improvement. It was very easy to mess up.

2. The “un-install” is basically not supported and resulted also in a messed up computer.

3. In the OATS Administrator tool, setting user assignments and roles to projects was tricky, scary and dangerous. Updating somebody’s account access sometimes had unexpected and bad results like getting “locked out” of the product.

Two years.

The test installation pretty much destroyed my computer’s laptop performance. It had to be “reimaged” to recover. It was eventually installed on a dedicated server.

Some user accounts had to be removed and new ones created because of corruption.

For example:

1. At some point my user account could not move or organize the position of folders and tests.
  2. Another user would crash the entire product whenever she choose to open one specific project.

I am not aware of any issues.

The training people were good.

I have not had to deal with support.

We also use TFS. We are using OATS because my company purchased an Oracle ERP solution.

There did not appear to be a simple installation routine. The initial setup was complicated with many parts to consider including binaries and a local database.`

I believe a vendor did the original implementation.

What other advice do I have?

Brace yourself for bumps in the road. Have patience. Find talented people to help.

it_user181500 - PeerSpot reviewer
QA Manager with 51-200 employees
Load testing is a valuable feature however the tool runs out of memory when the recording flows are long

What is most valuable?

• Recording and playback
  • Load testing

How has it helped my organization?

Our benchmark load tests for a major release involving various scenarios with a combination of different virtual users relied on the recording, playback and eventual load testing capabilities of OATS.

What needs improvement?

1. The tool runs out of memory when the recording flows are long and involve many screens despite increasing the memory settings for OpenScript
  2. We found the tool impossible to use for client side performance testing without filtering out JS, CSS, PNG etc as the method would error due to a Java method size limitation.
  3. Parameterization of variables using regular expressions was not a foolproof way of running tests as it would mostly work for a single user but fail during load testing.
  4. Parameterization involving SQL queries was not straightforward
  5. Except a YouTube video/PDF which covers some basics and is probably outdated now, there are no tutorials available for other functionalities that the recording tool provides.There is no in-depth tutorial of the load testing interface and troubleshooting steps.
  6. Collection of system metrics - although there are multiple parameters defined, it did provide a holistic picture of the state of the system.We had to implement our own way of obtaining this.
  7. Load testing web interface did not provide details about errors. The only way to correlate was to inspect server logs.

One year.

Yes, with 12.2.x

Yes, 12.2 was not stable. Upgrading to 12.4.x resolved a lot of previously known issues

No issues encountered.

This tool did a much better job recording the http requests during web load testing than other open source tools. Cookie management and other url parameters were handled efficiently and were easier to identify in the tree view.

It was straightforward for the most part except that at times the services wouldn't run and un-installation messed things up.

In-house.

I believe we made a wise choice despite some shortcomings and hiccups.

We evaluated other options.

What other advice do I have?

Read the tutorial and try out a few scenarios before going full throttle.

QA Expert at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

Importing a RUEI log into OATS to convert it into a load test

How has it helped my organization?

For a few years, OATS was the only tool that allowed us to load test our Computer Telephone Integration (CTI) with Siebel.

What needs improvement?

Our team is a contractor for a Siebel call center solution for the US government. Using Seibel means we are mostly an Oracle shop, but most of our test tools are HP. The one exception to that is OATS, which was formerly owned by Empirix when it was called eTester and eLoad. OATS has some promising features that frankly we wish we could utilize, but so far we haven’t had much luck doing so. Previously we did use it as a way of load testing the Computer Telephone Integration (CTI) aspect of Siebel. Even this needed to have custom Java code to implement though, and now that LoadRunner 11.5x is released, it can support our CTI load testing efforts as well, so we’ve gone away from using OATS for this.

2 years off and on.

Nothing significant.

Not up to 300 vusers, though this is not a large amount.

We use Loadrunner for all other load testing, but used OATS and Open Script just for CTI load testing.

Straightforward for initial setup, but complex for what we wanted to do. OATS runs as a suite hosted on a web server, so users access the test management piece via a URL. Scripting is done via Oracle’s OpenScript, which is their scripting development environment with Java, so being able to program in Java is probably the most important skill to have for using the tool.

Directly from Oracle.

We researched if this could be done in Loadrunner first.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure your team has the right amount of expertise in OpenScript (Java) before deciding to use this product.
Download our free Performance Testing Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Micro Focus, Apache, and more!
Updated: June 2022