NetSuite ERP OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NetSuite ERP is the #1 ranked solution in top Billing Software, #2 ranked solution in top Cloud ERP tools, and #5 ranked solution in top Activity Based Costing Software. PeerSpot users give NetSuite ERP an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. NetSuite ERP is most commonly compared to SAP S/4HANA: NetSuite ERP vs SAP S/4HANA. NetSuite ERP is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
NetSuite ERP Buyer's Guide

Download the NetSuite ERP Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is NetSuite ERP?
Global ERP NetSuite OneWorld Allows Companies to Manage Back Office Operations Globally AND Locally. NetSuite OneWorld addresses the complex multi-national and multi-company needs of mid-market organizations. Enable businesses to adjust for currency, taxation and legal compliance differences at the local level, with regional and global business consolidation and roll-up. Get unprecedented visibility of your business worldwide in real time, ensuring consistent, compliant management across the organization, locally and globally. NetSuite OneWorld can populate a single charts-of-accounts across subsidiaries, or use separate charts-of-accounts for each company with postings between subsidiaries such as expense allocation managed via inter-company journals. Local taxes are readily handled across subsidiaries with an embedded tax engine that allows for multiple tax schedules for everything from GST, to VAT, to consumption tax or general sales tax. Revenue recognition, local financial reporting and compliance are also built-in components. And OneWorld allows for global order management and sourcing with the ability to manage inventory and fulfillment across multiple locations with product items represented globally or on a per subsidiary basis.
NetSuite ERP Customers
2Pure, Accuvant, Actian, Adtegrity, Advantage Sign Supply, All-Safe Pool Safety Products, Alton Lane, AMC Liquidators
NetSuite ERP Video

Archived NetSuite ERP Reviews (more than two years old)

RobertWolf - PeerSpot reviewer
President & Chief Solution Officer at CREIS
Good scalability, a nice user interface, and helpful technical support
  • "The user interface is very good."
  • "Some of the features around the payroll and payroll taxes and management of that are lacking. We had to outsource some of that because we found that the functionality isn't there."

What is our primary use case?

The client's use cases really revolve around core financial and accounting tasks such as ARAPGL cash management and things of that nature as well as some supply chain. Inventory management at a rolled-up level. They had a separate system for their core product inventory life cycle management, however, this was from the financial aspect and vendor integration and purchasing side of supply chain and billing management was going to be done through the NetSuite implementation.

Due to the fact that they had more on their wishlist, we were going to get into some commerce stuff, however, we backlogged that. CRM is what they're actually going to start on next year. We backlogged that as well. I'm all about focusing. I'm really about accounting. The initial high-level inventory management is the core thing we deployed as part of the first phase.

How has it helped my organization?

The client saw a lot of elimination of manual steps that they were doing in their old system. The acceptance of a lot of best practices made even just basic monthly closing a lot simpler and a lot quicker. They went from taking almost three and a half weeks to do a monthly close to five to seven business days.

That time savings alone, there's cost value there from a human resource standpoint.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very good. That is extremely important when you're making and implementing change. A good, intuitive user interface and good documentation from a standpoint for training and support is super-important. The accounting functions are pretty basic and this was pretty standard.

While more customization on the cloud would be nice, it forced years of bad practices that were exceptions or custom ways of doing things.

The solution lends itself to scalability.

There's good integration with other products.

It's perfect for a company that is growing, that's still on the border of small to midsize. It fits perfectly from a cost and functionality perspective of them trying to get to standard practices that allows them to grow efficiently. They can take on a new business without adding people.

What needs improvement?

The cloud version lacked the flexibility for some customization. That would've been nice, however, it also then forced us to get out of some bad practices. It really helps you, actually, as it's not as necessarily flexible in terms of customizations, at least the version we worked with. They were working towards improving it.

Some of the features around the payroll and payroll taxes and management of that are lacking. We had to outsource some of that because we found that the functionality isn't there. This has been one of the bugaboos in that product. If the company grows into a lot more markets in terms of the business states and regions, they would need to look at maybe an alternate product for the sales tax and use tax compliance, as that area has gotten more complex in the last few years with the change in laws. NetSuite is well-suited for that.

NetSuite ERP
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about NetSuite ERP. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for over 15 years at this point.

The solution is pretty stable. It's a tried and true product. It's going to the cloud that's different. By the time we went live, we were two releases behind the current release and so we didn't really have to worry about bugs. It was more stable at that point. At the same time, we were sandboxing with a newer version. I got the client on a cadence to catch up at least one version or stay one version behind the current. They've gotten better at responding quickly to critical bug fixes as well. Oracle may have just had some resource constraints or focus constraints on how they were responding.

At the time of deployment, they were going through a lot of technical issues with the Fusion product that was diverting resources off of NetSuite. Again, because they've got such a product suite, resources are sometimes very fixed or it's hard to scale up quickly and get the right people on board. I got the sense that they had teams focused across multiple products.

That said, stability-wise, it was pretty stable when we went live. Overall from a product standpoint, from a performance standpoint of the Oracle cloud, there was definitely some issues that they were experiencing. However, based on my regular contact with his client over the last eight, nine months, post-implementation, things have improved as Oracle was already on a path to upgrading their data centers.

With my prior client in 2018, I was involved in a lot of Oracle products at that time. Oracle had started down the path of pushing clients onto newer equipment, newer systems, and even transferring them into newer updated data centers. It doesn't happen overnight, however. They've been strategically doing that since late 17, all the way through this year.

Scalability is one of the areas of limitation, as it's not designed for the larger, more complex businesses or businesses that grow out of being a small regional player into a super-regional type of organization.

With the improvements in the cloud product it's possible to move to another Oracle product such as the Fusion more easily. In that respect, once you get a certain level or need certain functionality, the ability to move from a NetSuite to Oracle Fusion now is much easier to do from the cloud.

Our clients are mixed organizations. Most are in the mid to large size company. I'm talking in the hundred millions into billions. I've had quite a few clients that are four billion-plus.

Early on, the response was critical. There are those bugs or fixes that they'll get to that aren't impacting your businesses versus extremely critical bugs. Fields won't accept the value that needs to accept the value, or it's not calculating something correctly that's very obvious, for example. Responding to critical bugs was the initial problem. We felt it was putting clients at risk due to the fact that there wasn't a workaround. We were worried about going live with these particular bugs. Fortunately, they were able to resolve them.

I was able to escalate it enough and had enough connection, a good rapport with the Oracle leadership, for what we needed to do, that they acknowledged, "Our resources were pulled away on this. And we're getting somebody to specifically address these and look into it." And so they don't wait for the regular release packages. They made available a patch that we could deploy. They had them deploy it into the Oracle cloud. That's the other thing - you're directly engaged when Oracle manages your service in their cloud. Their team can deploy it whenever you say go. And so, because we were still in the test environment, we could get that in, and retest things. It was later than we liked, however, it still allowed us to go live. We were able to get it in and test it before we went live.

Overall, I'd say we are mostly satisfied with the level of support we receive and I would rate it eight out of ten.

While we looked at other solutions, we didn't deploy any others with this particular client.

The initial setup has improved. Concerning what I know about it from 15 years ago to now, it's fairly straightforward. It's a lot more streamlined. There are not as many customizations you can do. You can create a few fields and add things here and there, however, when it comes to really create custom processes it forces you to use workflows and things like that. It's simpler in that it provides a lot more visibility to the business of how their processes work.

What other advice do I have?

I've had multiple engagements involving NetSuite as it is a good sweet spot system for mid-level size enterprises. I don't recommend it for large-scale enterprises. It's also too much sometimes for small companies. It's a great sweet spot, like I said, for mid-level companies. A lot of companies have been on it and sometimes they make good candidates as people who don't feel comfortable with some of the extra bells and whistles. It's a good, basic, fundamental ERP accounting supply planning system.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using right now. I know it wasn't the latest as I'm not a fan of going right away to the latest and greatest typically due to the fact that there are some bugaboos that have to be worked on.

Companies want you to get on the latest system. However, another reason we don't choose the latest was once we went through a build and deployed a model with an 8 UAT, by the time we were ready to go live, they had already released another version. We held off due to the fact that we were comfortable with what we tested.

While we started using on-premises deployment models, we also now work with the cloud.

Oracle's done a good job, especially lately. I did a major Oracle project a few years ago where their cloud infrastructure was still a little slow performance-wise, compared to, hosting on Amazon or AWS. However, Oracle's really improved that. Especially in the last year, they've really upgraded their infrastructure center. The performance of NetSuite on the cloud is pretty good now. You can still get that on an on-prem type implementation or a cloud. My last deployment actually happened to be on the cloud. That's another reason we stayed with an early version, The client was still getting their feet wet with NetSuite in the cloud at the time.

I would advise others to be detailed in how they assess their needs to make sure that is the right fit for the company's size, not only for now but over the next five years. A company needs to ask itself: What are the business' growth plans? If you're shortsighted and go into it, where you're already at the top end of the capabilities, then you're losing your investment value. Also, it will be more time and effort to set it up, when you should really be picking either the next product up or a different vendor at the outset.

Overall, it's quite a good solution. I'd rate it nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
Douglas Blumhardt - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Consultant at Business and Technology Consulting, LLC
Highly customizable, no infrastructure needed, and very scalable
  • "I would say that the solution is highly configurable."
  • "In terms of the main improvement to NetSuite is the talent itself. It's grown so fast and there are about 25,000 companies running on it, and it's a relatively newer system compared to other competitors. It's growing so fast that the talent base in the partner organization (there's about 200 of them), is pretty thin."

What is our primary use case?

I have multiple pharmaceutical distributions. I'm currently doing two projects with companies that are what are called stevedoring companies. They're companies that load and unload these massive vessel ships that come into the ports all over the world. Containers and cruisers and things of that nature. I've also done a large 3PL shipping company. I've done a couple of manufacturing companies. I've done a couple of manufacturer distributor companies. It's a very versatile system. It can be used for a variety of businesses.

What is most valuable?

It's less about functionality today. Although the functionality is there, most systems are pretty competitive on things like financials. At that level, what makes a solution competitive is the architecture, and NetSuite has the most advanced system architecture in the market today. It was built for the cloud. It's a true cloud application. It's truly, purely web-based.

There's no infrastructure required. It's fast licensed, it's multi-tenant for releases.

I would say that the solution is highly configurable.

The solution's data structure is very referential. You can easily customize new data in the system. It's a system that's built for enormous flexibility and customization.

The system itself, the reporting dashboards, integration, API, workflows, all that stuff's strong in NetSuite. The functionality is strong.

They've got people working deeply on it. They spend incredible amounts of money on R&D and their releases are very robust and they just keep moving forward with more.

What needs improvement?

There's always room for improvement in every system.  It's going to have some functional verticals that just aren't as competitive in the app, due to the fact that there are older systems that have been built for 20 years that are deep. For example, in manufacturing, there's something called process manufacturing, versus discrete manufacturing. There's a couple of systems that'll beat NetSuite on process manufacturing.

There's a lot of bodies. There's a lot of kids there. I call them the kids because they're people in their twenties, maybe in their thirties. If you're under 40, you are still a kid to me. What it boils down to is that I've been doing assessments for 40 years. I have five grown sons between the age of 30 and 44. Not a single one of them, if they worked around the clock for the rest of their lives, could catch up with me on experience, because in today's market people get pigeonholed and specialized. They don't get a broad experience. People aren't building systems anymore, so you don't have that depth. What it boils down to is most of these people working in these ERP projects, in all the systems, are truly not systems people.

They're actually people that just know how to push buttons and settings and workflows and reports, and spit things out. They know how to configure a system, however, they don't really know much about how it would actually do what it does, or how it's built. Therefore, the weakness in that is that when you get into business models that require some real custom configuration, they don't really know how to do that.

In today's market, young people aren't learning how to really learn a business. What's happening is a lot of systems focused work without first understanding the business that they're actually serving. That's prevalent in the NetSuite world and these newer systems, due to the fact that they've basically been staffed with and around young people who really don't have a lot of business experience. They may know a lot about that application, that system, but then not really know very much about the business. Business experience is an issue in this market today.

We've worked on multiple systems, however, I've probably been engaging with NetSuite to some extent for the last seven years.

The solution is highly reliable. I've got a client who's been running for four and a half years flawlessly, with no outages, no errors, no failings. Of course, part of that is the architecture and the system. Part of it is we did a world-class job of implementing it. However, the bottom line is you can really mess up a system if you don't know what you're doing. That said, NetSuite itself is a highly reliable system.

Scalability is pretty good. It's targeted. Oracle has its Oracle cloud product and some other junk products in between, but the two flagship products are Oracle Cloud (for tier one companies, over a billion dollars in revenue)m and then NetSuite, which is targeted for the half a billion-dollar or maybe up to billion-dollar revenue. We have four companies with over a billion dollars in revenue on NetSuite.

Up to that point, it's really very scalable. Even after that point, it's really not a matter of the system not being scalable. It's more the server and the data centers that they've sort of configured for that. You've got 25,000 companies, and 90 plus percent of them are probably in the hundred to $500 million range of revenue. Revenue is not always a good indicator, because some companies, like the company I'm in right now, is a half a billion-dollar revenue company. However, they function more like a hundred million dollar company because the invoicing they do is very large and very complex invoicing, but large-dollar transactions.

So they'll do a $25-$50,000 invoice as well. That rolls up to half a billion pretty fast. That said, the volumes aren't really there. They don't have any more volume than a retail business, or a distribution business might have with a tenth their size. You can't use revenues and bills as a total indicator every time.

I would say NetSuite would struggle to scale beyond a billion dollars if it were a retail business. That's just in terms of how it's built. It's built for the mid-market, and some limitations are there that you wouldn't hit then until you get to a billion. It's still a great system and there is a provision for buying up to more tiered levels of processing capacity. That way, very large companies can run on NetSuite.

Technical support is very weak. That's because, once again, they've hired a bunch of kids. They've got kids behind the scenes doing the work and they don't necessarily retain much deep talent on the inside at NetSuite.

They mostly have a great software development group, however, their support group tends to be very young people who basically don't know much. They know the system, again, however they don't necessarily know how to interact with the business.

The best way to get systems support is really from the network of qualified partners. That's where the talent goes and that's where the money is. That's where people can make the most money. Whenever any of these people get any talent, they tend to jump ship from NetSuite and go out to work for one of the partner companies.

Everything's complex today. It's all complex. Any system is complex. However, NetSuite's setup, what makes it easier, is there's not a lot of complexity in the actual customization. That's easier. Any system, even Microsoft's Dynamics, is going to take 30% or 40% more labor to do the same things.

NetSuite's highly configurable and it's also very structured for settings, presetting, roles, permissions, personalization, etc. If the partner that's selected is skilled, if they know the system, then the configuration works actually in a pretty straightforward manner.

There may be a lot of variabilities or a lot of complexity, mainly because clients are complex. Nobody does things the same way. If they did, they'd run out of business pretty quick due to the fact that you always have to have something that differentiates you from your competitor. All those differentiations have to be thought of and incorporated into the implementation.

Licensing costs are all over the place. It really depends a lot on the business model. How many seats, what modules they're getting, and what kind of discount you can negotiate all will adjust the cost structure in different ways.

The discounting can range, depending on what's compelling to that model. For example, I bought these two stevedoring companies and they're old companies, they're longshoremen. They've been doing longshoremen work since clipper ships. The systems tend to be old. Nobody had ever really put a stevedoring company on NetSuite before. When I went to NetSuite to negotiate for them, I was able to get okay pricing. There's a pretty broad opportunity if we get one or two of these done. NetSuite was willing to get me a very deep discount in that case. It depends on the deal. The numbers are all over the place.

What other advice do I have?

We're not a reseller, we're a selection company. We represent the client.

The inherent weakness where you might be disappointed is not functional, because functionality can be built out. It's like buying new furniture in a house. The house is a big cost, the furniture you just need more of. More functionality can be built out readily if the architecture is good. NetSuite's architecture is so phenomenal that you can almost not even imagine. I have one subsystem that my client has, but it's an old premise-based proprietary application that no one else has. It's unique to their business, but it's about ready to fall over. I looked at it and we're going to build it into NetSuite, because NetSuite is capable of absorbing more functionality. So, it's really about architecture. And architecture and NetSuite, I couldn't even imagine what it's going to ask for there. It's really very good.

Ironically, NetSuite's kind of killing our business, because if you're doing mid market, it's going to be NetSuite or Microsoft dynamics. Everything else is not really worth the attention. Where we do selection work we don't get shared revenue. We don't get kickbacks or anything from anything we do. Our work is to help companies pick the right solution, pick the right partner, and get the implementation done. Our work has shifted much more to helping oversee the projects. We do a business assessment work, we do system selection work, we do solution, basically formulating the solution for the client. Then we negotiate for the right licensing, the right contracts, service agreements and we oversee it.

We're like a general contractor for a commercial building. What's happening is that the clients no longer have people like us inside. Basically, systems have become commoditized over the last 20 years to the point where if they've got insight IT people they're really server people. Servers, networks, virus, security, phone systems. These people don't know anything about applications.

In NetSuite's environment, there's no versioning. It's actually a release strategy. It is in the cloud, so it's multi-tenant and the releases come in and go. Obviously, they have some release numbers on each of them, however, the client really doesn't have to worry about that.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Enterprise Consultant
NetSuite ERP
November 2022
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Josh Brox - PeerSpot reviewer
NetSuite SuiteScript Developer/Boomi AtomSphere Developer at a tech vendor
Manufacturing routing, inventory management, and SuiteScript enable business-specific customization
  • "We leverage the core platform but are able to add additional functionality for ease of use, tailored processes, and industry related reporting."
  • "As with any system offering large volumes of data, there are limitations on processing large volumes of data in custom ways."

How has it helped my organization?

NetSuite allows quick modifications of entry forms, standard processes, and end result data. The ability to make modifications to the core system allows us to offer our clients more meaningful operational processes and reporting abilities.

What is most valuable?

The top three most valuable features for me are:

• manufacturing routing
  • inventory management
  • SuiteScript.

The functionality of these three features provides my team and me the ability to customize NetSuite for the craft beverage industry. We leverage the core platform but are able to add additional functionality for ease of use, tailored processes, and industry related reporting.

What needs improvement?

As with any system offering large volumes of data, there are limitations on processing large volumes of data in custom ways. The core data processing works great but when clients want to process data in custom ways, a limitation exists because of the cloud-based model and shared servers among clients.

More than five years.

There are no issues with stability. NetSuite has 99.9% uptime and it has scheduled releases with processes in place for full development cycles.

I believe scalability is a non-issue for 99% of companies. It may be an issue for companies processing excessive volumes of data but I don't have enough experience to comment further.

NetSuite has a good technical support team. They are timely on case responses and replies. For each case submitted, I've always been able to get someone on a WebEx to help with the case. The case solutions are helpful the majority of the time, but some cases might lead to an enhancement request or a defect that is being worked on. Overall, pretty good technical support from my experience.

Yes. I previously was a consultant for Aderant and was happy to make the switch because NetSuite is a larger company with more resources and has the ability to offer a superior product to small, on-premise model ERP companies.

The initial setup is complex. I would recommend that any company making a switch to NetSuite look to get help from a NetSuite VAR (Value Added Reseller).

I would advise that you first meet with and scope out your project with a NetSuite VAR (Value Added Reseller).

Yes. I looked into Oracle, SAP, and Microsoft Dynamics.

What other advice do I have?

Look to get help from a NetSuite VAR (Value Added Reseller). The implementation will always be tough, but with the help of an experienced team, the transition will be better managed.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a NetSuite implementation consulting firm.
Shivali Ahuja - PeerSpot reviewer
Netsuite Specialist at a recreational facilities/services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides a 360 degree customer view.

What is most valuable?

It’s a complete ERP Solution.

How has it helped my organization?

I really like the CRM module of NetSuite that gives a 360-degree customer view. Its CRM module is very much customized out-of-the-box as per most of the companies.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvement around the Revenue Recognition module.

Right now, several templates are there, but they are either too complicated, or they are difficult to configure, from a company finance perspective.

In addition, I would like to see improvements in the inventory module and in the manufacturing domain.

I have used this product for seven years.

Stability is sometimes a concern in NetSuite. To my thinking, if NetSuite is not configured correctly during implementation, and if there is too much customization (in terms of scripting) in a NetSuite account, then stability becomes a concern.

The architecture around NetSuite needs to be designed very carefully, considering all of the factors.

Scalability is never a major issue with NetSuite, if all the factors are considered during the implementation phase.

The technical support rating can be defined as per the support taken. This can be Silver, Gold, or Platinum. If you select Silver, then you cannot really expect much support.

I have experience working with SAP. When compared with NetSuite, the latter is bit easier to configure for the features which are not present out-of-the-box.

The initial setup was more or less straightforward for NetSuite. It needs to be handled properly considering the clients' requirements.

Pricing in NetSuite is cheaper, if compared with SAP. But when it comes to license costs, you really need to discuss and itemize a description around teams, departments, and who will be using this system. You then need to plan accordingly.

We deployed SAP in the past.

What other advice do I have?

Focus needs to be given to the tiny details of company business rules beforehand. You then need to evaluate if those tiny business rules can really be implemented in NetSuite without much customization out-of-the-box.

CHANDER SINGH - PeerSpot reviewer
CHANDER SINGHHead Of Purchasing Department with 51-200 employees
User

Helpful review

it_user631620 - PeerSpot reviewer
NetSuite Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
One of the valuable features is real time visibility. There are still some bugs in some of the modules.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of use out-of-the-box
  • Customizability
  • Cloud based
  • Real time visibility
  • Single system

What needs improvement?

There are still some bugs in some of the modules. Sometimes the system shows unexpected behavior. I’d love to see quicker fixes and fewer bugs.

I’ve been an implementation consultant for this software for a little more than three years.

There weren't really any stability issues. NetSuite claims and provides 99.9% uptime.

There were no scalability issues. This is the best scalable ERP solution I've seen.

Overall, the technical support is pretty good. In almost all cases, even if they’re unable to resolve the issue, they do give you some kind of workaround so that business can continue.

I am not aware of any previous solution.

The setup depends on the complexity of the business. I’ve seen customers up and live on this system in as little as two weeks. I’ve also seen implementations that go on for six to nine months.

We did not evaluate any other products.

What other advice do I have?

• As with any ERP system, there’s a lot of planning involved.
  • The various stakeholders and business process owners should spend some time evaluating this system.
  • It’s powerful and flexible, but planning is key!
  • Don’t balk at the price. A single suite of applications (like NetSuite) is a far better solution than running multiple systems.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners and resellers of this product.
it_user617409 - PeerSpot reviewer
Functional Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Whenever you create a transaction in the backend, the GL posting happens automatically. It needs to provide better budget allocation in order to achieve control over the fund distribution in real-time

What is most valuable?

Some valuable features of this product are P2P and O2C processes, inventory management, fixed asset management, project management, CRM, reports and customization.

If you take any industry, the base line for business is procurement and sales. NetSuite has given the transaction features to post in the GL, i.e., whenever you create a transaction in the backend, the GL posting happens automatically, depending upon the items/accounts that you have defined. Thus, you don't need to be an accounting expert, to know what should get posted or not. For each transaction, a customized approval/printing can be applied, thus making it global and apt for any industry.

Project management is not being used to a great extent, but it really helps many industries to track their budget versus the actual expenses incurred and the revenue.

NetSuite CRM+ and Sales Force Automation tools are almost equivalent to the Salesforce Cloud application that help the industry to gain new customers.

The customization feature gives us the liberty to design/customize NetSuite to any extent. I have worked to develop the NetSuite product structure for Educational ERP. Now, the product NetSuite ERP is SDN certified.

In summary, NetSuite is the future and can help small/medium-sized companies to grow in automation.

How has it helped my organization?

As a NetSuite functional consultant, I can see how this product is getting evolved with each version release. When we implement NetSuite to the organization, it automates the business to a large extent with minimum human interference. For example, the approval becomes easy due to live entry transactions or the sale functions are improved due to better use of Salesforce automation or there is better utilization of resources due to project management or there is better planning due to NetSuite demand planning.

What needs improvement?

NetSuite is still made for small/medium enterprises and needs to focus on bigger organizations, i.e., the Enterprise Edition. NetSuite also needs to provide better budget allocation in order to achieve control over the fund distribution in real-time. For example, if the budget allocated is less and the expense is utilized, the system should not allow the user or needs to warn the user from entering the transactions.

Under Budget allocation: We don't have control over the restriction on over expenses. After distribution of budget on the accounts, if lets say Stationery Expenses budgeted 400$ the actual expenses can not go beyond 400$, unless there is change in the Budget.

SalesForce CRM gives permission to approve transactions without log in to system just form email Note "Approve", "Done" . i.e. if I am the approver I will get an email notification and from that I can revert back as Note "Approve" or "Reject" to approve/reject record without getting in to account. In NetSuite we need to have the access for any approval so we need to log in and approve the transaction.

I have used this solution for three years and seven months.

There were no stability issues.

NetSuite is scalable to a larger extent. It can be mapped for many requirements.

I would give the technical support a 6/10 rating.

I was using a customized educational ERP tool and wanted to work on a cloud ERP solution.

The process started with getting support from them. Then we carried out the implementation in the vanilla environment for wholesale distribution; after which I developed the SDN certified NetSuite Education ERP product (edERP). So in terms of customization, I have worked from a simple to complex level.

If NetSuite wants to target more small-scale / medium-scale businesses, they should reduce their pricing by around 30 - 40%.

We looked at other solutions namely, SAP and Salesforce.

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent product. It is easy to navigate, has an excellent user interface and also is easy to learn because if its transaction and real-time posting of accounts.

Chief Operating Officer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Provides financial tools and inventory management.

What is most valuable?

Financial tools and inventory management allow scalability to high volume multi-channel orders and fulfillment.

How has it helped my organization?

As a consultant/implementer, we track all projects and financial tasks.

We use NetSuite tools to handle a multi channel, high volume order environment providing insight and profitability by channel and product velocity and profitability.

What needs improvement?

The CRM module just does the basics. I’ve worked with CRM tools for over 15 years, rolling out Siebel and Oracle as a sales manager and as an IT leader. I now deploy NetSuite ERP and eCommerce.

I’ve worked with the SFDC folks in extensive demos as well as some contact management software. I know my way around this CRM subject area reasonably well.

The NetSuite tools perform the needed functions that a sales team needs. Because it is integral to the NetSuite platform with a variety of technical tools, I feel it is more capable for the sophisticated user.

My sense is that sales teams having sophisticated capability without having the time to learn or benefit from it, does not compete with the SFDC approach of rapid start up and simplicity for the end user.

Embedded graphics and a simpler UI seem to win over the sales teams. That is why the CRM within the NetSuite application is best sold as part of an enterprise sale. This prevents the sales team from going their own way in application selection. Companies that choose the best breed of solutions and then choose to integrate them, create a sub-optimized enterprise solution.

Do not treat the CRM capability as a bolt on to the excellent ERP platform.

Give the CRM module the embedded graphics and faster responding user interface for laptops and mobile devices that attracts the general sales and marketing teams.

For more sophisticated CRM users, leverage the native tie in to ERP and eCommerce for real time financial, inventory, and sales data.

I have used NetSuite ERP for three and a half years.

We have not had stability issues.

We have not had scalability issues.

Technical support is excellent.

We made the switch from on premise applications to cloud-based NetSuite.

Setup is straightforward. The methodology is extremely important. If the core business model and financial strategy is implemented correctly, all other modules become sequential building blocks.

Order at the end of the quarter.

We evaluated Oracle, SAP, Sage, and QuickBooks.

What other advice do I have?

Build out the business and process models and walk through them multiple times. If there are integration points, make sure data mapping is part of the process model.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a reseller and provide professional services.
it_user621831 - PeerSpot reviewer
Netsuite ERP Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Generally speeds up the accounting function with less errors. Allows you to view the current status of the business in real time.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility: In comparison to other products I've used, it is completely scalable. It would be suitable for a few users to hundreds.

If, for example, you want to renumber your chart of accounts, you just renumber it. If a supplier changes its name, you just change it.

It has a fantastic search capability. If you want to find a supplier invoice, you just type the number into the search bar and the results are displayed! If you need a new field for something, you just create it. It's not a three month project to get a new field, but rather just a five minute job! I could literally go on and on.

A huge plus point for me is that you're always on the latest version. You just get upgraded twice a year. This is a huge bonus. I've seen companies that spend hundreds of thousands of pounds upgrading to the new version. With NetSuite, the upgrade is included in the subscription.

As it's a genuine cloud-based product, you don't need servers, server managers, server rooms, backups, etc. It's all there for you. If you need to log in, you just need the internet and your login details. You do not need an IT team to organize access for you.

How has it helped my organization?

Companies where I implemented the solution commented as follows:

Found it easier to plan

Viewing the current status of the business in real time with the dashboard facility

Generally speeds up the accounting function with less errors

What needs improvement?

the functionality as far as I can see is really good. It's modern and really configurable - and even customisations that in other systems I've worked on would take months takes days - sometimes hours - so on the whole, it is a very good solution.

I have been using NetSuite for two years.

It is cloud based and the performance has been fantastic over the last two years. I think I've seen a half a day of down time.

It is very scalable, as long as you evaluate what might change in the future. You could set it up to allow you to add new divisions, departments, and even subsidiaries/companies very quickly.

Technical support is excellent.

I used to implement Sage Line 500/1000.

The setup was reasonably straightforward. It's all in the planning. If you plan what you want, it's easier to hit the target.

I don't get involved with this sort of thing.

I only implement NetSuite for other companies.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you get your requirements planned

Don't be afraid to re-evaluate processes

Don't be afraid to revisit things like your chart of accounts

I've seen many companies that just want to copy what they had in their old system into their new one. Every system will allow reporting in different ways. Ensure you set it up to get best, most efficient reporting for the new system.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I work for a reseller.
it_user617421 - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It provides support for consolidated reporting from multiple subsidiaries in different countries.

What is most valuable?

It is a cloud-based ERP tool with minimal downtime. It can be accessed from anywhere in the world.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The NetSuite fixed asset module needs to be worked on.

I have been using this solution since October, 2014.

There were no stability issues.

There are no scalability issues since the modules are constantly updated.

The technical support is excellent.

We were previously using QuickBooks. Since it was not scalable for multiple subsidiaries, we switched to NetSuite.

The setup was straightforward. The implementation team will work with the system administrator to configure this tool to your company's needs. Be sure to have a clear idea as to how you would like the system to work.

What other advice do I have?

You should work with the implementation team as they are an excellent resource. Even for post-implementation, I would recommend getting the higher-tier support that will work closely with you and answer any questions that you might have.

it_user621840 - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The system notes give me information about who changed the data and what data was changed. The user interface could be improved.

What is most valuable?

The system notes give me information of who changed what.

How has it helped my organization?

We are an implementation partner of NetSuite and we don’t use the product ourselves.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved. The latest technology can be used to improve the list view of records and load pages faster on a browser. This will make the search faster.

It needs better POS features. It’s a point-of-sale system, implemented for retail business.

I have used NetSuite ERP for three years.

We have not really had any stability issues.

We have had scalability issues.

I would give technical support a rating of 2.5/5.

We were using Openbravo ERP.

The initial setup was simple.

It’s a bit expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have a good internet connection.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a NetSuite partner.
it_user617424 - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant / Cloud CRM and ERP solution provider at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provides reporting capabilities. We can retrieve data via a saved search.

What is most valuable?

The reporting feature is the most valuable because it is very flexible. It is easy to retrieve any data via a saved search.

Compared to other ERP systems, Oracle NetSuite demarks the reporting capabilities via its flexible reporting tool.

How has it helped my organization?

It is an integrated system that helps us streamline the business processes.

What needs improvement?

The manufacturing aspect needs to improve.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

The technical support is very good.

Oracle NetSuite is the best cloud-based solution.

The setup was straightforward. The Oracle help center explained everything to us.

This product is worth its price and provides value for the money.

We looked at other options, namely the Microsoft Dynamics NAV solution.

What other advice do I have?

You should go for it. You won't regret it! This is the best solution. It is very simple to configure, easy to use, and is hosted on the cloud.

Senior Director Contents Integration at a integrator with 201-500 employees
Role-based workflow and user interface & dashboard were the most impressive features.

What is most valuable?

Especially for a cloud SaaS ERP system environment, from the perspective of the end user, as they may only be interested in the ERP business domain and functionality, the role-based user interface design and dashboard makes the end user feel that the system is addressing exactly the area they are concerned with. This might generate a presales advantage and end-user decision on purchasing the ERP.

Usually, role-based design provides ease of operation, because the screen is designed to be dedicated for the specific job position (role), so the location and operating procedure on the screen is designed to fit the specific role for operating efficiency.

In this sense, role-based design has more potential for improving the UI than other methods.

What needs improvement?

To exponentially increase revenue of cloud ERP SW, human intervention could be minimized, and there might be certain ways of optimizing the method of selecting & configuring apps by the end user.

It has been well addressed that especially on the area of complex business process like ERP, there still are areas which needs consulting service from experts. The area may mean assessment, system configuration and set up, etc.especially on the initial phase of implementation.

Additionally, difficulties for end user to select proper modules from cloud ERP were addressed.

Without having some knowledge about the ERP system, it may not be easy to decide and select appropriate module through the descriptions or even with some trial experience, as what is shown may differ from expectation.

So, I think that those are typical chasm that prohibit exponential growth of cloud ERP market, by the nature of requiring supports from experts, saying constraints of human dependency.

Role based design in NetSuite may mitigate many issues of the above by keeping the nature of end user perspectives.

The concept of ‘Role based’ may be extended if there is a feature that allows user to adjust the location/sequence of operation on the screen or the operating procedure based on the industry and size (number of user) of the enterprise.

I used it 2-3 months for benchmarking.

There seems to be no problems with initial setup, but not sure if you are trying complex cross-functional process. There could be a concern about the cost of consulting for optimal configuration of process.

What other advice do I have?

There is no doubt that NetSuite has strong potential on technology and scalability.

it_user565227 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user565227Senior Director Contents Integration at a integrator with 201-500 employees

In NetSuite 2017.1 release update with top key features, it seems to be that rich 'Rules' are implemented on overall features, e.g Accounting (ICJE related subjects, Posting GL), Order Tracking, Inventory asset control, and Dashboard, Workflow, etc., which may not only help end user decision on selecting features but also making the ERP package Cloud SaaS oriented by implementing more business Rules on the Role of operator.

Download our free NetSuite ERP Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022