Associate Director at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with good administration and excellent scalability
  • "Technical support is very helpful and very responsive."
  • "It is a bit of an old and outdated product."

What is most valuable?

The administration of the solution is very helpful.

It offers many of the same features other solutions would offer. It's very similar in scope.

The solution has been very stable over the years.

The product is capable of scaling.

Technical support is very helpful and very responsive.

What needs improvement?

It is a bit of an old and outdated product.

The cloud would have been the best improvement and already Microsoft is looking into it. They are moving into the cloud and all it will make the product better. There's a roadmap in place, from what I understand. We'll move ahead toward whatever Microsoft decided to deploy.

The solution is mainly used for client management and software deployment. However, there maybe should be a more self-service experience. Microsoft may be addressing it in their cloud-native solutions, as currently a lot of administrative tasks are still needed. Automation would be helpful in those cases. If they could add more automation, that would be ideal.

I've used the solution for the last eight to ten years or so. It's been almost a decade. I've worked with it for a long time.

The solution offers good stability. there are no bugs or glitches. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance overall has been very good.

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.

A company can easily scale this product if they need to.

Technical support has been amazing. It's Microsoft and their bread and butter is understanding their product. They built this technology and therefore can offer amazing support. At any level, for any questions, they can support you. We've very satisfied with the level of assistance they've provided.

I've also evaluated VMware, which would be a good option for companies that are not dealing with a lot of Microsoft applications.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and end-user.

We use the latest version of the solution. I can't speak to the exact version number.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. It's an incredible product.

I would recommend other companies to go ahead with whatever the latest cloud option is on offer. That is due to the fact that there is no SCCM as a product now. They have already transformed it into Microsoft Endpoint Manager

If a company is heavy on Microsoft products, like Office 365, this is the right tool, however, if not, if they are not a Microsoft centric organization, then maybe they can explore VMware as well.

Information Technology Support Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Highly scalable, impressive support, and reliable
  • "The solution is highly scalable."
  • "The solution could improve the functionality for automating, license management. Additionally, more and better-looking reports are needed."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft is working on migrating the function of Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager to the cloud. Every week and every month there is something new that's happening to move to the cloud.

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager is used for installing new workstations without the interaction of people, it does the deploying of workstations automatically. Autopilot is used for automatic deployment installations of workstations without IT support. We only have packages at home and we do not need a VPN to configure workstations from home.

The patching of inventory to patching of Windows and applications, such as Office, inventory of wiping security, deploying new software, reinstalling software, uninstalling software, and wiping the device. This is insecurity from Active Directory services, some functionality we are moving to a group policy.  By having less IT support you can handle more workstations.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve the functionality for automating, license management. Additionally, more and better-looking reports are needed.

I have used Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager within the last 12 months.

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager is a stable solution. We do not have a lack of production in my orgaization.

The solution is highly scalable.

We have two IT engineers using the solution.

Microsoft has high-level support, I only have good words to say about them.

I have used Zabbix previously. I was using Zabbix, its free tool. It's not for somebody who does not have knowledge of Linux. Zabbix is not for a regular Microsoft user to use.

The installation requires a lot of knowledge and experience. The whole process took us three months.

The license price could be reduced for Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager  They should make the price more affordable for smaller companies, most companies would be able to use the solution if it was priced better.  There are more people on this cloud because you don't have to have either a server room or an on-premise server. You can have one IT person handle this without any local infrastructure.

You receive a license for Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager when you buy an EMS E3 license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager
November 2022
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Specialist (US IT Recruiter) at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A systems management software good detailed descriptions, but dependency relationships could be better
  • "It uses detailed descriptions of the workstations, and that is good for me."
  • "I want the system to provide some dependency relations. I would also like to see the relationship between different machines."

What is our primary use case?

We use SCCM to access user data.

How has it helped my organization?

Basically, my requirement was to get the data from wherever it was available within the organization. SCCM helped identify how many computers we had, what software was loaded on it, what different types of data were available, and so on. It helped us a lot when it came to extracting the data.

What is most valuable?

It uses detailed descriptions of the workstations, and that is good for me.

What needs improvement?

I think SCCM can improve whatever details they shared with the integration partner. There was a lot of junk software and data. There should be flexibility to allow us to extract the data we require. In other words, the flexibility of accepting the specific data that we are looking for.

I want the system to provide some dependency relations. For example, you have a laptop, and you start working on it. If I can be informed that you're using the laptop at work, other machines that are dependent on this laptop will be able to provide that dependency relationship. I would like to see the relationship between different machines.

For a small-scale industry, the storage capacity is good. However, the performance and storage capacity could be better.

I have been using SCCM for a while as part of an integration project.

We are running almost 5,000 machines, and it was working fine from a performance perspective.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup was straightforward and took us about a week to deploy this solution. The strategy was simple. We just had to do it in the same plugin, and we actually did learn on the job each day.

We used an integrator, and we still use them regularly or even daily. We might use them for other integrations as well.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that SCCM is a good solution if their focus is on the number of computers and laptops they have in the company.

I used it for the first time, and it was good. But users should know what kind of databases they are using and if the integration has sufficient rights to access that data.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give SCCM a seven.

Juned Bedrekar - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at ATOS
MSP
Offers excellent patching and troubleshooting features
  • "Offers good patching."
  • "Cloud-based improvements need to be better managed."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, formerly known as SCCM, is used for patching machine servers and application deployments. It also stores an inventory of machine hardware. We are customers and I'm a consultant.

What is most valuable?

Patching is an important feature in the solution. Because it's console-based we can create one application or patch in the console. It will download and from the console base we can deploy to all machines. If your company has around 1,000-2,000 machines we're able to patch and deploy to all concurrently. We're also able to check, report and troubleshoot if there are any issues or errors that occur during deployment. We currently have 500 plus servers which are managed automatically on cloud.

What needs improvement?

Cloud-based improvements need to be better managed than is currently the case.

I've been using this solution for nine years.

The solution is quite stable because it's a Microsoft product. Even though it's cloud-based it's quite stable. We have two engineers that deal with maintenance.

The solution is quite scalable, although there is a lot of competition from products such as AWS and IBM BigFix.

We've had good experience with Microsoft technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's a matter of downloading from Microsoft, updating on the console and deploying. The amount of staff required for deployment depends on the level of infrastructure. Before the deployment, you need to test the machines to check whether a particular patch is installed and updated properly on that machine and whether there are any bugs. Installation is a step-by-step process. We can do about 20,000 per week, so within five weeks the job can be done. If there are only 10,000 machines, deployment can be completed within a week.

Licensing is better than with other solutions because it's Microsoft-based. Microsoft offers multiple options which works for us.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is good for us because most of our users are using Microsoft-based products and the solution is compatible for anyone using Linux-based or AWS.

I rate the solution nine out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
IT Technical Support Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Helpful reporting tool, scalable, and offers valuable organization viability
  • "I have found the solution to be scalable. We have around 50,000 users using the solution."
  • "I currently need to increase my compliance level in the patching processes which this solution could improve on."

What is our primary use case?

This solution helps to manage different areas. For example, asset inventory and software inventory. You are able to patch products, do software deployment, and software packaging.

What is most valuable?

I have found some valuable features to be the built-in reporting tool, the ability to get visibility on your organization, compliance reports, software remitting for all your products in your organization, and the management of all machines in your environment including a new domain and workgroups.

What needs improvement?

I currently need to increase my compliance level in the patching processes which this solution could improve on. For this purpose, I am looking for another solution to perform more efficiently and to work faster to cover this part specifically.

There should be more visibility to integrate more products other than Microsoft products. For example, Adobe and Google Chrome. You need to do a lot of manual intervention to cover all non-Microsoft products for patching at the moment. There are third parties working on these gaps in this solution.

I have been using the solution for 12 years.

The solution is stable most of the time.

We were satisfied with the support sometimes. There were occasions when we have had an engineer that was not experienced in the particular problem we encountered to be able to help efficiently. This could be improved by having better-trained engineers.

The specifications for the SCCM and the organizational capacity can make the installation complex otherwise it can be easy.

The deployment took a long time. We required a team system engineer from Microsoft to be allocated with my team to complete any configuration.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently looking for another solution to work in parallel to cover some of the gaps in functionality.

I rate SCCM an eight out of ten.

Information Security Officer with 11-50 employees
Has good collaboration with Patch My PC which allows us to do patchwork
  • "We are happy with the collaboration of SCCM with Patch My PC, which allows us to do patch work."
  • "In spite of us being a premier customer we find the support unsatisfactory."

What is most valuable?

The product is quite good. We are happy with the collaboration of SCCM with Patch My PC, which allows us to do patchwork.

What needs improvement?

While the solution is quite good, it can be difficult to understand the logic of this product when it comes to software inventory.

Upon examination of the on-premise and Azure environments, I feel that SCCM could be more flexible.

While the issue of documentation is not exclusive to SCCM, it can be improved. When it comes to Microsoft Office suite, it is not always clear to where the articles have been moved and the use of a built-in searching giant to find their whereabouts is not always a possibility. When the article is moved to a new location, it can make it challenging to find what I deem to be useful or interesting.

I believe we started using SCCM in 2003.

Microsoft technical support used to be better. In spite of us being a premier customer, we find the support unsatisfactory. The qualifications are not at issue, but the excessive time it takes for them to react, investigate and provide us with answers is.

When it comes to technical support, it is a crapshoot. I know how Microsoft works from the inside, as we used to work for the company. There are times when we will speak with a person who is really qualified and interested in helping and the case can be closed in the course of a single remote session or call.

At other times the ticket is apparently not rotated to the right person. In such cases, we will encounter someone who is merely being polite, towards the end of keeping the customer engaged but without the ability to help.

Pricing is not in my work description and is left up to management and my colleagues.

What other advice do I have?

Since I cannot think of anything in need of improvement concerning SCCM, I would rate it as a ten out of ten.

Systems Engineer at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
Easy to use, easy to install and deploys quickly, but it's not stable and it needs to be more robost
  • "It is easy to install, and quick to deploy."
  • "The database should be made to be more stable and robust, but not so much the configuration."

What is our primary use case?

In most cases, it is used by us to deploy software or manage configurations of certain applications.

We are pushing the WSUS updates through it and getting the normal systems grouping.

You can do your software package through it and you can create and run scripts.

What needs improvement?

I am not sure if it is just bad administration and maintenance, but it fails quite a lot.

For me, it's the database, or maybe it's the maintenance overhead. It could be that it requires a lot of maintenance. If you don't maintain it, things could go wrong, this is my assumption.

We have been using this solution for a couple of months.

We are using the latest version.

It is not always stable. When it works it works, but It has a very sensitive database and it almost always crashes when we use it, especially if you don't take care of it.

I can't really say that the scalability is good or bad because I haven't had to do much of it.

I have never used any other similar product.

It is easy to install and quick to deploy.

We have admins to maintain this solution.

We didn't really evaluate other products.

We are more of a Microsoft house. It works out better to use these products.

What other advice do I have?

As I have not used any other product, I can't say that I would or wouldn't recommend SCCM. If there is anything better, I would like to know.

It works, but the database fails almost every time. I would rate SCCM a seven out of ten.

Corne Van Der Westhuizen - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Systems Engineer at Datacom
A systems management software that's easy to use
  • "I like its ease of use. It does what you need it to do, and it's a one-stop-shop for the company and for all your deployments. If you incorporate Intune into it, you can have both. You can bring your own devices and corporate devices, and everything runs out of SCCM and Intune."
  • "They should improve their anti-malware policies like the SCEP policies. For instance, you can't have different policies for different servers, there is only one policy in all the servers, and everything is covered under that. For example, say you want to scan one group of servers on Saturday, and then you want to scan another group of servers on Sunday, you can't do that. You have to scan all your servers, a regular scan or a full scan, on the same day and at the same time. That's definitely one thing they need to resolve. In the next release, it would actually be nice if they included Apple products. It will also help if you can use Intune again. Their compliance reporting feature could also be better. They can maybe work a bit on that for patching now. It would be better if SCCM came with the functions of Right Click Tools built-in. If SCCM would have all those functions already built-in, we won't have to go and spend $5,000, just as an add-in from another company to get those functions."

What is most valuable?

I like its ease of use. It does what you need it to do, and it's a one-stop-shop for the company and for all your deployments. If you incorporate Intune into it, you can have both. You can bring your own devices and corporate devices, and everything runs out of SCCM and Intune.

What needs improvement?

They should improve their anti-malware policies like the SCEP policies. For instance, you can't have different policies for different servers, there is only one policy in all the servers, and everything is covered under that.

For example, say you want to scan one group of servers on Saturday, and then you want to scan another group of servers on Sunday, you can't do that. You have to scan all your servers, a regular scan or a full scan, on the same day and at the same time. That's definitely one thing they need to resolve.

In the next release, it would actually be nice if they included Apple products. It will also help if you can use Intune again. Their compliance reporting feature could also be better. They can maybe work a bit on that for patching now.

It would be better if SCCM came with the functions of Right Click Tools built-in. If SCCM would have all those functions already built-in, we won't have to go and spend $5,000, just as an add-in from another company to get those functions.

I have been dealing with SCCM for nine years.

I used to be the SCCM administrator for quite a big company that had 80,000 people. That's pretty much all I did all day, every day.

BigFix is the poor man's SCCM. It's for people that can't afford SCCM and for small and medium-sized businesses. There's nothing else out there that can do what it can do.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give SCCM a nine.

Download our free Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022