Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Microsoft Dynamics GP OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Dynamics GP is #24 ranked solution in top ERP tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Dynamics GP an average rating of 5.6 out of 10. Microsoft Dynamics GP is most commonly compared to SAP S/4HANA: Microsoft Dynamics GP vs SAP S/4HANA. Microsoft Dynamics GP is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 55% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the ERP Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Microsoft Dynamics GP?

Microsoft Dynamics GP is a complete enterprise resource planning (ERP) solution for small and medium-sized businesses. Dynamics GP helps you gain greater control over your financials, inventory, and operations. It’s easy to implement and use and empowers informed decisions that lead to business success.

Microsoft Dynamics GP was previously known as Dynamics GP, MS Dynamics GP.

Microsoft Dynamics GP Customers

Rural Metro, WASH Multifamily Laundry, Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, Elcome International LLC, Batteries Plus Corporate Stores, Catalogic Software, Choate Rosemary Hall

Microsoft Dynamics GP Video

Archived Microsoft Dynamics GP Reviews (more than two years old)

AubreyMokgadi - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal Accountant at Botswana Government
Robust system with a good integration manager but needs better budgeting features
  • "The solution offers integrations with other software as well. We have integration with Microsoft Office where we can do Word and Excel, etc."
  • "With payroll, the payroll that they have offers US or Canadian tax. However, here, our tax payments are different from the US and Canada. It is very difficult to put in our tax tables. We need some customization. It should be readily available for any country to use according to their tax implications. The system should know different types of tax regimes around the world so that it can accommodate. It's a little bit rigid on that."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our daily transactions, such as purchasing functions, sales functions, inventory management, and the whole general ledger, We also handle our financials and bank reconciliations such as bank management and cashbook management.

What is most valuable?

They've got a search feature called Smart Place that we find very useful. We can go through a whole lot of data from the past at any time from any origin. It actually takes you to the exporting functionality.

It's very convenient.

Currently, we are actually looking at Payroll. Payroll we haven't implemented yet, however, it's there within the system. We are using a standalone payroll system as of right now. That becomes costly because it's outside the licenses that we are paying for Microsoft Dynamics GP. It will be easier and cheaper if we roll everything together, which we may do in the future.

The solution has an Integration Manager. You can actually pull a budget from Excel into the system. You can take it in and/or out.

If you have closed your year, you can reverse for one year. It has some nice functionality. If you have virtually missed something, you can go back and correct it, and reverse the year. It autocorrects your journal. You don't have to recapture everything.

It is quite a robust system.

What needs improvement?

We don't have proper data management. We have a government scheme where we service people and help them with housing. We call it the Self Help Housing Agency, where we provide funding, then you pay back the money without interest. It's one area that the system doesn't seem to handle it properly. We initially needed a system that was focused on test management in that aspect due to the fact that we wanted a revolving account where the money that you pay back goes into the fund and it funds other beneficiaries as well. That way, it never ceases to operate. You pay back, it goes into the fund, somebody also applies and then the money he pays back and it revolves like that. That said, we are not using the system for that. It doesn't work in the way we need it to. If it did, we'd definitely use it.

We also have services that are mostly data management. We only now use it for subsistence for others when they are traveling in between the jobs. For example, when you're traveling to another area, you apply for a subsistence allowance. That's the main thing that we are only using it for. That said, now, for Self Help and service leverage manuals, we need to computerize it so that it becomes part of the system as well. That's one area that needs to be looked at and improved somehow.

The budget aspect could be improved. I have to do my budgeting outside of the system on Excel, then whatever that has been approved I need to upload to GP. However, I want a system where I can start with projections. It would be great to be able to project with all the notes and have it give me my final outline and upload it automatically into that system. I don't know if that is possible.

With payroll, the payroll that they have offers US or Canadian tax. However, here, our tax payments are different from the US and Canada. It is very difficult to put in our tax tables. We need some customization. It should be readily available for any country to use according to their tax implications. The system should know different types of tax regimes around the world so that it can accommodate. It's a little bit rigid on that.

I've been using the solution since 2008. It's been well over ten years at this point.

September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Oracle, SAP and others in ERP. Updated: September 2022.
634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is quite stable due to the fact that it's on-premise. It has maintenance utilities within itself, so you can just go in and run some maintenance or schedule it for daily backups and stuff like that. We don't experience bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

Generally, we try to handle the maintenance internally. However, we've used consultancy for support in the past and have also had to reach out to Microsoft directly.

At one of the sites, we had a big problem whereby the data was corrupted or that looked like somebody had deleted something important. The technical support did assist us. We logged the issue with Microsoft Directory.

However, the main issue is we no longer have a go-in-between consultant or partner. Microsoft emphasizes partnership. They don't want you to deal with them directly. They'll say, "No, we've got a growing partner in the region. Try them." However, this time we went through them due to the fact that it was something that was within their system. They did ultimately help. They sent us to one of their partners in India. They helped the site get back on track. It was down for about two or three years, so they didn't close their financials for that period of time. However, now they are back on track.

We did previously use a solution called Cyborg back in the day. It had some components we needed. However, we've been with Microsoft since 1989. It's been a long time. We switched when we were able to get different modules.

I didn't handle the initial setup. It was more than ten years ago. On top of that, I might have been in support at the time. Now, I am a principal accountant. I just came into the role.

The maintenance mostly lies with the IT department. We have an IT department. They're the ones who go and do the routine maintenance for it. For major support or maintenance, normally we utilize our service level agreement and then we send tenders out. The respondents show their capabilities of skills and what their experience is. Then we adjudicate around that and select the best leader who will run a one-year or three-year contract.

We are just coming off of a three-year contract that ended in November. Due to COVID, we couldn't send it out again. The idea going forward is to self-sustain, self-support, and to cut off outsourcing costs. We're actually training ourselves to be at the level of the consultant.

The licenses should be centralized. We, as a local authority under the ministry of local government, have the government pay on our behalf, and they are quite strict. It's an annual licensing that we are signed up for. It's quite hefty. We have 28 sites within the country and each site has to pay its own license. It means they are decentralized. If it was centralized, then it would have been easy. We are actually thinking of centralizing the whole system in one place and to cut off a whole lot of maintenance of servers. That way, licensing can be cut because it's licensed per user. The solution charges on a per user basis.

For us, in our local currency, it costs us around 5 million Botswanan Pulas a year. It's quite a lot of money.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business arrangement with Microsoft.

I'm using the 2016 version of the solution 2016 due to the fact that I'm working for a local authority here. It's a standard across the country. We are with the local government.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Ricardo_Rodriguez - PeerSpot reviewer
Comptroller at BMA Group Global
User-friendly, great reporting, and offers good control
  • "You can track everything from beginning to end quite easily."
  • "The purchase order and processing aspects of the solution should be improved."

What is most valuable?

The solution has been great to work with so far. It offers a lot of control, which we really appreciate.

The product is very user-friendly and is easy to navigate.

You can track everything from beginning to end quite easily.

Their reporting is very extensive. If they cannot provide a certain report, they have a tool that is similar to a report writer that you can connect to and really customize the reports you need.

What needs improvement?

The purchase order and processing aspects of the solution should be improved.

In this latest version, they included mostly everything we currently require. The only thing that can be improved on is the way that transactions, for example, in account receivable, take place. When a customer makes a payment to us, it's unclear how to connect the software with the bank in order to properly identify the invoices and the amount of the payment the customer is paying us in order to apply those accounting and then close the invoices that are open. This would really save us a lot of time and energy if that aspect could be clarified or streamlined.

I've been working with the solution for about five years now, give or take.

The stability is good. We didn't have any issues with bugs or glitches. It's reliable.

The technical support is good. The company has its own developers on hand to answer any questions we might have. We're satisfied with the level of service we received.

The initial setup was a little complex. It's always uncomfortable when you are doing migrations from one system to the other and get the people to accept the new software or the newer ERP after they have worked for so long with another.

You have to learn a lot to set it up after the data is collected. We needed to make sure everything was properly displayed to the developers.

For us, the most complicated part is that it's a US-based software and we had to deal with a lot of tax regulations in Puerto Rico.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I'm not sure of the exact version we are using currently. It might be version 10.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

September 2022
634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sathiya Prakash Perumal - PeerSpot reviewer
Microsoft Dynamics GP Techno Functional Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The system is easy to customize and has user-friendly access
  • "The system is easy to customize and has user-friendly access. ​"
  • "It still can be improved in web-based and build reporting. ​"

How has it helped my organization?

The product has improved a lot from the approval processing, attachments, and reporting.

What is most valuable?

• Financial
  • Payables
  • Sales
  • Inventory

The system is easy to customize and has user-friendly access.

What needs improvement?

It still can be improved in web-based and build reporting.

More than five years.

No, but sometimes there are issues when the application is not maintained well.

Yeah.

Nine out of 10. Since I am a technical person, it is easy to support and modify according to a client request.

No. we were not using any other solution before.

Setup is straightforward. That is an another big advantage of this application.

Its pricing and licensing are high. Of course, we all know that it is Microsoft.

We evaluated some local products, because of the pricing, but this product has better features and support.

What other advice do I have?

For a bigger environment, this is the best product to go with for an in-house support team. For a smaller environment, I would not suggest this product.

it_user638679 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Business Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The SQL database back end allows us to build integrations data between it and other systems.

What is most valuable?

Numerous third-party add-on products are available to purchase for specific business needs. A strong support system is available through a network of VARs and the internet community. The SQL database back end allows us to easily build integrations data between GP and other systems. It gives us the ability to develop customizations with .NET and Visual Basic.

How has it helped my organization?

We use the Sales Order, Purchase Order, and Inventory modules to handle this entire process from beginning to end.

What needs improvement?

Windows authentication is not available for the full GP 2016 client. The web client version only works for the standard product and a very limited number of third-party applications that must be written in Dexterity. If you have customizations written in .NET or Visual Basic, they will not work with the web client.

Our company has used the current GP 2016 version since we upgraded to it about six months ago, and have used previous versions for quite a few years. I have also used and/or consulted on this product for other companies for the past 19 years.

It has been stable overall for us.

We are a decent-sized organization with close to 150 GP user licenses and have been able to meet our scalability requirements as we continue to grow. We use a Citrix environment, so we only need to install updates and manage a small number of servers.

Support is normally provided by the VAR on record, of which there are plenty of well-skilled ones to choose from. There is also a vast amount of information on the web by which we normally resolve 90% or more of our issues without ever having to consult with our VAR. Our team is well-experienced with GP, so this works well for us. Others with less experience may need to consult with their VAR more often.

Since Dynamics GP is the company-wide ERP system we use, we migrate any companies that we acquire from their system to GP. I have also worked with clients in the past who have purchased GP and in most cases, they moved to GP because it provided additional functionality that their existing software did not have.

Initial setup is not that straightforward and I do not recommend that someone with limited experience of GP to do it themselves. Instead, an experienced VAR/consultant with a good understanding of accounting and reporting should be used, because they will be aware of the types of mistakes that are commonly made during setup that can result in much pain down the line.

I’m not that familiar with the current pricing structure, but your VAR can provide you with details of the different options. Be sure to ask them if Microsoft has any promotions running because they do periodically run them.

I have not evaluated anything else.

What other advice do I have?

Invest the extra resources up front to work with a qualified consultant (VAR). If you are not an expert with this product, don’t make the mistake of thinking you can do it yourself, as you will stand a good chance of making mistakes that will be costly down the line. It’s very important to set up your initial account framework and GL account structure to handle the current and future needs of your business, so at the very least spend the time and effort to get this part right.

it_user626079 - PeerSpot reviewer
GP Functional Consultant at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
You can't easily manipulate the data and edit documents like in other solutions. The tool requires voiding and provides audit trails.

What is most valuable?

You can't easily manipulate the data and change something like in the QuickBooks where you can edit documents. This tool requires voiding and provides audit trails.

How has it helped my organization?

This is used by several different clients for different purposes. It helps to streamline and automate their accounting processes.

What needs improvement?

Some of its functionality should be more automated. They are always working on new releases.

I have used this solution for seven years.

There were no stability issues, especially when the server requirements are set up correctly.

If the servers are not set up to properly to house or maintain the data, then there could be scalability issues.

Microsoft usually gets back to you in an hour. I work at a consulting firm, so we field the low level support. If there is anything we cannot work through, or if there are bugs/quality issues, we reach out to Microsoft.

I've used several different accounting suites at an accounting firm and at other consulting firms.

The setup is complex, but there are instructions and consulting firms who can help you out with the process.

It can be expensive. It depends on the size of your business and what you are trying to achieve with it.

We did look at other options.

What other advice do I have?

It depends on the size of your business and what you are trying to achieve.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Microsoft Partners, i.e., we resell their product to clients.
Sathiya Prakash Perumal - PeerSpot reviewer
We use it for reporting and presentations. I would like to see improvements in several of the modules.

What is most valuable?

The following modules are valuable:

• Analytical Accounting
  • Sales
  • Finance
  • Purchasing
  • Requisition Management
  • Workflow
  • Security

How has it helped my organization?

• Easy and customizable solution
  • We use it for reporting and presentation purposes
  • User-friendly: A key factor for a financial application
  • Helps my company a lot

What needs improvement?

The following modules need improvement:

• Inventory
  • Payroll
  • Fixed Assets
  • Analytical Accounting (AA)

I have used this solution for around five years.

All types of software have some minor or major issues and we can manage with them. However, stability is important when the product is delivered. For this product, I would give the stability a rating of 8/10.

I have not contacted Microsoft technical support.

The pricing and licensing policies are quite high for a mid-level company.

We evaluated some other local software solutions and SAP.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that all the facilities in this solution help your business before implementing it.

James Thuo - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The fixed assets and bank management features are valuable.

What is most valuable?

Fixed assets and bank management are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

• Easy and fast reconciliation

What needs improvement?

• Budget commitment and an easy way to import transactions into bank management.
  • Reconcile to GL tool should also incorporate bank management transactions.

I have used it for four years.

We have not encountered any deployment issues.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is very good.

Technical support is very good.

We previously used a different solution. We switched because it did not accommodate all of our requirements.

Initial setup was straightforward with a few customizations to accommodate clients' requirements.

A vendor team implemented it. Their experience was good and very eager to learn Dynamics GP.

What other advice do I have?

The license cost should be reduced to enable small businesses to purchase a license of their own.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Microsoft partner.
it_user617406 - PeerSpot reviewer
Microsoft Certified Trainer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Auditable ERP package with reporting and transaction functions.

What is most valuable?

It is an excellent, auditable ERP package.

How has it helped my organization?

I’ve implemented several hundred Microsoft Dynamics GP systems for many customers. The improvements brought about in the client’s reporting and transaction functions are off the charts.

What needs improvement?

Not quite all the reports are fully exportable to Excel.

We have been using this solution since 1987, i.e., earlier versions of the same product.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

The level of technical support is outstanding.

I help customers move from QuickBooks, Sage Peachtree Accounting Software, Sage MAS, and other products to Microsoft Dynamics GP.

This is a high-end ERP accounting package. I recommend using some sort of implementation support.

Pricing and licensing is handled by Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

Find a good Microsoft Dynamics GP reseller to assist with the implementation process.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a reseller.
IT Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We did not encounter scalability issues when we tied CRM into the system.

What is most valuable?

Both the fact that it is highly customizable, as well as the reporting capabilities, are valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

I worked with GP 2013 at a previous employer, where we had upgraded two full versions in my time there. All versions were exceptional at making our accounting staff's jobs far easier. The reporting simplified monthly and quarterly metrics and saved everyone a great deal of time from working with spreadsheets, where manual data entry was required.

What needs improvement?

With the exception of the great deal of work we put into customizing the system for our inventory needs, the only suggestion for improvement would be to simplify even further the administration and customization side of things.

I have used it for five years.

Although I had to completely rebuild the host server due to hardware failures, the deployment was straightforward and no issues were encountered.

No stability issues encountered.

No scalability issues encountered, including when we tied Microsoft Dynamics CRM into the system.

Customer service is excellent.

Technical support is excellent.

We did not previously use a different solution.

Initial setup was straightforward; the only complexity was based on our specific business needs.

It was originally implemented through vendor; then, final implementation was handled in-house.

Customizations can significantly increase the cost, including when upgrading versions.

Evaluations were completed prior to my joining the company

What other advice do I have?

If a team is not available to manage the system, be sure the best systems administrator is familiar with the system, and work closely with your preferred VAR.

Accounting Systems Support Specialist at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
The reporting capabilities are its most valuable feature.

What is most valuable?

Reporting capabilities: Other than integrity, the most important function of an ERP system.

How has it helped my organization?

With a use of a third-party product, which GP has many, we streamlined the inventory process by directly importing count sheets from Excel spreadsheets from our many branches, reducing time and accuracy.

What needs improvement?

Continuity between modules: Keystroke functionality is not consistent. It appears to me that teams that develop the different modules need more collaboration. For example, when you enter a range of criteria in the starting field, it defaults on the same ID number in the end range in some modules but not others.

Another example: In some windows, you hit the clear button and nothing happens. A thing that happened to me just the day before I wrote this review: I was in an inventory transfer window in Project and no matter what I did, I could not get out of the screen, so I had to use Task Manager to kill GP, which is always a last resort.

We had to make another change recently. Users would get random SQL errors doing various things in GP; all unrelated. After running some SQL scripts, I determined that their password expired and thus gave the error. It would be nice if there would be a notification that the password was about to expire. I had to turn off password expiration altogether.

It would also be nice if you could print more than one report at a time. I get often requests that reporting isn’t working, only to find out they have a print job open and the new print job stays in the queue until the earlier job is cleared.

There are several of these little nuances that happen, but I don’t want to sound too critical of GP; overall, it does what you tell it. As an administrator, users like to blame the system for things that go wrong, but my saying is “garbage in, garbage out”.

On a positive note, the help function is really beneficial, getting users to use it is another issue…

I have been using it for 22 years.

There have been some issues but there are generally fixes; some simple and some more complex, using the backend (SQL) to do corrections.

We have not encountered any noteworthy scalability issues; it’s a matter of increasing the power of the servers and hardware/software that it runs on. We are a tier 4 (highest level of complexity) and are running fine, doing several thousand transactions per month.

I don’t use support too often, but they are responsive and stick with the issue until it is resolved.

I’ve used other software solutions but not for this business.

I’ve installed GP for a handful of companies over the years and it generally goes as planned, so I would say the installation/implementation process has improved over the years. The key is in the planning more than the execution.

The pricing and licensing models are aligned with the product in the market. My only caveat is to be careful of customizations, as it will greatly increase the costs/effort to upgrade going forward.

I was not here for the decision to evaluate the options. Other comparable options are products like NetSuite and Sage 300.

What other advice do I have?

Create an internal team, listen to your VAR, and plan, in-depth, all functionality that you need and want. Know the difference between wants and needs, and what effort they all will take initially and long term. Don’t over complicate the system; things can always be bolted on later, outside of the core functionality.

Download our free ERP Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Oracle, SAP, and more!
Updated: September 2022