We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Micro Focus Operations Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Micro Focus Operations Manager is #6 ranked solution in top Event Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give Micro Focus Operations Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. Micro Focus Operations Manager is most commonly compared to Operations Bridge: Micro Focus Operations Manager vs Operations Bridge. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 33% of all views.
What is Micro Focus Operations Manager?

Micro Focus Operations Manager is infrastructure monitoring software that proactively performs root cause analysis to help you reduce the time to repair and the cost of operations management.

Micro Focus Operations Manager was previously known as HPE Operations Manager.

Download the Event Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Micro Focus Operations Manager Customers

MTS India

Micro Focus Operations Manager Video

Archived Micro Focus Operations Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

Team Lead Information Security Control at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Ease monitoring from a single dashboard, but the setup process is complex

What is our primary use case?

My primary use is the consolidation of monitoring tools and dashboards.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that everything can be consolidated into one dashboard.

What needs improvement?

The service takes a very long time to start and it requires a lot of resources. A huge amount of memory is required. The setup process should be simplified and faster to complete.

I have been using Micro Focus Operations Manager for 15 years.

I have experienced no issues with stability.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use is the consolidation of monitoring tools and dashboards.

What needs improvement?

The setup process should be simplified and faster to complete.

I have been using Micro Focus Operations Manager for 15 years.

I have experienced no issues with stability.

I have not needed to scale this solution. We have fewer than 100 users and we do not plan on increasing our usage right now.

I have not needed to contact technical support within the past year.

My team has been in contact with the local Micro Focus partner and my understanding is that the local partner's skills could use some improvement.

We are using another similar tool in the company, but it is not in my department.

It took approximately one week to complete the installation and setup. I would say that the setup process is painful.

I implemented and deployed this solution myself.

I don't remember exactly how much it costs but I know that it's affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

RaymondMeijer
Event and System Monitoring Engineer at Rabobank
Reduced the number and duration of outages as support teams are notified immediately when something goes wrong
  • "The Performance Manager provides great insight into our systems' performance."
  • "It has greatly reduced the number and duration of outages as support teams are notified immediately when something goes wrong or even before something breaks."
  • "The integration with the ticketing tool makes sure that there is a record for every issue."
  • "Installing and upgrading the HPOM and Operations Agent software is not always easy and the process can be quite fragile. Once it is running, it is very quick and stable, but an upgrade can quite easily break something or terminate unexpectedly."

What is our primary use case?

With our HPOM installation, we monitor the European (and part of the global) infrastructure of our financial services, consisting of around 800 servers in various regions.

How has it helped my organization?

It has greatly reduced the number and duration of outages as support teams are notified immediately when something goes wrong or even before something breaks. The integration with the ticketing tool makes sure that there is a record for every issue.

What is most valuable?

The various types of monitors are very useful. We use them all:

• Threshold monitors
  • Log file monitors
  • Open message templates
  • SNMP trap monitors
  • Process monitors
  • Database and infrastructure SPIs.

Additionally, the Performance Manager provides great insight into our systems' performance.

What needs improvement?

For additional features, we are looking forward (and implementing) OMi 10.6x.

More than five years.
Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Microsoft, BMC and others in Event Monitoring. Updated: January 2022.
563,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user363237
Technical Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
  • "It allows us to build dashboards for individual parts of the business. Our team members appreciate that they can just get a view of their part of the world without having to worry about anyone else's."
  • "I know that in the next version, X1005, they're moving to more graphical overviews, which should help our senior managers."

What is most valuable?

It allows us to build dashboards for individual parts of the business. Our team members appreciate that they can just get a view of their part of the world without having to worry about anyone else's. This seems to be the most valuable feature for us right now.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a central screen that alerts us to problems from all parts of the business. This enables our operations team to have visibility of all issues and deal with them or call out as required.

What needs improvement?

I know that in the next version, X1005, they're moving to more graphical overviews, which should help our senior managers. We're looking forward to that upgrade.

I think it's been seven years since we first used it.

We've had no issues with deployment.

It's been stable though we've had issues in the past. I'm not sure whether they were hardware related or OS or the product, but it seems to be quite stable in the past few years.

I haven't bumped into any issues, so it's scaling well.

I would evaluate them as weak, unfortunately. They're barely bearable in the quality of the guys that support us. There are not always specialists in their support system. They seem to be learning as much as we are. So support is weak, I'd say.

The initial setup was straightforward. I had no problems with it.

What other advice do I have?

Plan your implementation. Learn what's really important to your business that's not even from an IT perspective. That's only natural production or sale side or whatever it is and use that to map it onto your implementation. That's what I would say.

it_user671340
Design Manager at a transportation company with 11-50 employees
The most valuable feature is its ability to integrate with everything. There are not enough skills within the African region.
  • "The most valuable feature is its ability to integrate with everything."
  • "Our issues are largely support related due to where we are and the knowledge base that we have here. This issue relates both HPE in general and to the technical products."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its ability to integrate with everything.

How has it helped my organization?

It identifies parse issues pretty quickly. Instead of logging multiple tickets, we actually deduplicate those and just create one ticket, which makes our operations a lot easier to manage during the incident.

What needs improvement?

When the systems talk to each other, it becomes sort of a drop and go. And I'm talking purely in our instance, because, from what I see, it seems like none of the other countries have that issue. But it goes back to not having enough skills within the African region, with HPE and with all their suppliers. Once they sort that out, we won't have to get all the people from other countries to come and do it. It should make it a lot easier to manage.

We have worked with other vendors, but the difference is that the knowledge or the course and certifications are made available in our country, whereas with HPE you have to actually go to a different country. So our challenges are more pronounced with HPE because people are less certified.

The functionality of OMi itself is actually cool, but if you can't use it, or if you can't get your teams to set it up properly, then I have to rate it lower. If we could implement it fully, I would rate it probably to be about a nine or a 10.

The product itself is a nine or a 10, but because of the limitations within South Africa, it's more of a seven.

It's pretty stable. The only real issue we've had is knowledge of the solution in Africa. I have discussed this with the team at a recent conference as well. Knowledge and skills are not really something that is sold in South Africa.

There are no issues with scaling. We are looking at adding new sites, which it pretty much copes with easily.

We use VMware, Fortinet, and Cisco. We are staying with HPE because we use HPE for all our server and storage. Cisco for the networks, Fortinet firewalls does load balancing now as well; we've actually moved that to them. We don't want to be a single vendor shop. That's why we stick with HPE for this solution.

ITSM Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's very powerful, but it's quite expensive. It has broad integration possibilities.
  • "The broad integration possibilities, I'd say, with any kind of product, are probably the most valuable feature."
  • "We are waiting for quicker release cycles. Also containerized upgrade, so that you don't have to bring a system entirely down to make a minor upgrade, in fact, or a minor patch."

What is most valuable?

It's difficult to assess the valuable features. We are living in a small country while HP is more focused on larger companies, so for us it's quite expensive. It's very powerful, but it's quite expensive.

What needs improvement?

With support, you have to apply some changes which require a restart. That is in fact unacceptable. It's a good product, but there's still too much development to do on the customer's side to have it really working.

We have been using the solution, all through the versions, about 15 years.

It's quite stable.

In the latest versions, it is quite scalable. The problem is, when you want to extend, it takes a lot of work. It has a lot of consequences. I hope this will be improving very soon.

Technical support is improving. I'd say they're rather reactive in most cases. I'd say that on the later versions of Operations Bridge, for instance, responses are quite good. Looking into all their systems, which are still supported, we're missing some information.

I have the impression that the engineers are not skilled enough anymore because they evolve. All the older products tend to be forgotten. But we're still dealing with them. It's a bit of a challenge.

Setups are complex, not straightforward. First of all, there are all the checks that you have to do. You have to see if it does not interfere with other integrated products. There are some parameters that might get lost.

There's a whole bunch of eventual hot fixes and patches that should be installed first. This requires down time, so you bring down the entire system. That's a very bad situation.

We consider mostly the solution itself when assessing vendors.

it_user567744
System Monitoring Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Integration with other HPE products enables us to feed all the information into same area.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the integration with other HPE products because it enables us to feed all the information into same area; whereas before it was in different sites.

It is very adaptable and relatively easy to install.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any areas for improvement at the moment, but we haven't had it for long enough for me to say. We're still in the process of assessing it. It's been pretty impressive so far.

The stability has been very good so far. We've only had it a short time.

It is very good on scalability.

The technical support is normally very good, but occasionally patchy.

We were coming to the end of life with the hardware and software we were running, which are also HPE products. We've moved into this new area, so it was a combination of the hardware and software.

The initial setup had some challenges; but since it was completed, it has been very stable.

The initial installation document didn't have some of the prerequisites we needed to install the software; but we looked at the installation document again recently and they added all that information. So, in our particular case, it was good.

We're with HPE anyway, but the other vendors would have been Microsoft or IBM. But, really, it's generally going to be HPE because we're already using them.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to colleagues given our current assessment, but we haven’t fully utilized it yet.

The most important criteria to us when we choose a vendor are stability and support.

it_user567936
HP Openview/Unix Admin at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
A mature product that looks after all our servers.

What is most valuable?

This is a mature product. There is good support from HPE and it involves constant updates. There is a path to move on to the next product.

How has it helped my organization?

It's our monitor of managers. It's our monitoring tool and it looks after all our servers.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, I don't know what the roadmap is for this solution. There's a product that's been out for two or three years now, called Operations Bridge. There is a migration path to that, but it's not an obvious one. HPE has not made that obvious to us, so I'm trying to find out how we move on.

The product and the UI need updating. Everything about the user experience needs updating. I work at the other end, which is the more technical end, and I like what it does. But when a user sees a GUI that looks like it was written in the 1970s, it doesn't fill them with any confidence. It needs more dashboards, more graphs, and more everything that management wants to see.

We've had this solution for 12-13 years.

It's fairly complex deployment, even though it's supposed to work out-of-the-box. It's a product that can be tailored. It probably will work straightaway, but if you want to get the best out of it, you've got to change it to suit your environments.

It's a mature product and has good stability.

The product has good scalability. We've gone from 100 to 700 servers without any hiccups. It's a very scalable product.

I have used technical support. They are good; perfect. We don't raise many cases, but when we do raise cases, it's good. They are the same as any other company. It's just support at the end of the day.

There is an issue at the moment with HPE, in that their support for this product has moved over to Sofia, Bulgaria. That can pose its own problems, but it's like anything that's off-shored. It's going to take a little bit longer, and you have to accept a few more difficulties when you're trying to explain problems or reject solutions.

I've looked at Moogsoft and Nagios as alternative products. There are lots and lots of other ones out there. I’m not sure if we will stay with HPE.

We've got a very mature product that would be awful to try and replace. However, if we don't get what we want out of it, and we can't go forward with it, then the new kid on the block will just come in and slot straight in.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, I look for attention to the customer and the support you're going to get when you're going through this. If we do move, it will be a fairly fraught experience. We want to be confident that either HPE or another vendor will be behind us and helping us down that path.

I've been working with it for 15 years, and I know how powerful it is. If you spoke to some of our end-users, they probably wouldn't even mark it, because they don't even use it. They don't use the interface, because they don't like it. There are so many other things on the market now.

it_user567708
IT Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scalable tool that integrates with different products. I want to see better event planning.

What is most valuable?

It's very scalable and it does seem capable of accepting the volume. You can just keep expanding it as your organization grows.

How has it helped my organization?

It integrates with a lot of other products. You can integrate it with ticketing systems and all sorts of software. There are links to software that allows it to be monitored. It's a monitoring system, so it makes sure that everything is up and running. You can have dashboards and just make sure everything is up, working, and functioning correctly.

What needs improvement?

There is a new release which is much more GUI based. We haven't moved to the new product, which is OMi. So that probably does more of what I want, and has more to do with event management and is event based.

We're using Operations Manager (OM). I want to see better event planning. I would like event correlations. This is the thing I've always been interested in, but with the existing tool, it's been very, very difficult to do. I think this has been addressed in OMi, but I've yet to see that. When I really move to it, then I might increase my rating to closer to a nine. The event correlation is not there and it is a complex tool.

Even though it claims to do event correlation, in reality, you could just write a program from scratch to do this. That is fine, but it's not part of the product. For the new one, I believe it's supposed to do that. OMi is supposed to be much better for event correlation. So I'm looking forward to getting down to really using that.

This has been in our company for 20 years.

It's very stable. There are always some issues, but they tend to occur when changing the product. When it's up and running, it tends to stay that way. It's a very stable product and its origins are about 20 years old. It’s been around for a long time and it has a good basis.

It's capable of being expanded to extreme levels.

I use it. We've got dedicated technical support and that's very good. Because the product was not so well known year ago, it used to be a lot more difficult. We would get put through to people who didn't understand the problems at all and it took quite a long time before you could speak to somebody who did understand. Now we've got dedicated people and it's much easier. Everything happens really fast now.

I was not involved in the initial setup, but I've been involved in migration to a later product. The migration was very complex. It is a very complex product. It probably took me a year before I really felt I understood the product at all. It wasn't something that you can learn in two or three weeks.

It's just a vast complex product and it has also evolved. That's the downside of the product evolving, because there's lots of things that come from its origins and there are some things which have been added, and you can tell the difference. You can tell that it's not brand new because it keeps changing names. It used to be called OpenView and all those commands are OV this and OV that, so I it wasn't updated on that part of it.

Because they've been here for 20 years, it's very difficult to move away. At one time, I was trying to influence a change, but it proved to be impossible. Now that I've got more used to the Operations Manager, I'm happier with it. We'll see whether or not the next generation is really good, or as good as it says on the box.

What other advice do I have?

No one would actually use Operations Manager now, so go straight to OMi. I also recommend to study, study, and study to learn the product.

it_user567687
IT Performance Architect and Head of DB2 at Swiss Mobiliar
Helped us to increase transparency and visibility of the IT department. We would like to see more sensors in the dashboard.

What is most valuable?

It's helped us to increase transparency of our line of business, as well as both transparency and visibility of the IT department within the company.

What needs improvement?

Currently the BVD, it's not living. We would like to see more sensors in the dashboard. If you go over 60 miles on the screen, nothing happens. Part of our BVD is a map of Switzerland with some highlighted agencies where there is something specific happening. If it moves over 60 miles over this location, nothing happens. But there are 160 locations and it's not always very easy to find out if there is a yellow light there and which location it is exactly.

The first implementation of the Business Value Dashboard went live early this year, so we have now 11 months of experience with it.

It is very stable. We don't have any vulnerability or issues like that.

The BVD does not have a problem with scalability. You can add additional sources and increased uptake frequency. We don't see any problems going forward.

It's a very new product so support is not very mature. You have to find the right people in HPE to support it correctly. Then it works great.

Well, implementation is straightforward. It's a reason to implement the dashboard. The more complex things are the numbers that will be produced, but that's not a problem of the product. That's a problem of how to consolidate these numbers.

The initial trigger was that we had a new head of communications and she has been working for a newspaper before where they had a very large newsroom. So we had to have a newsroom too and we had to fill it with content and the BVD was the best thing for it. At the time, we were approached by HPE to be the first user of this product and then we started the work with them. That was the way we went.

it_user368235
Infrastructure Operation Division Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
What's most valuable for us is the ability to see all events that occur on our network. It needs better correlation from the box rules.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

It gives us the ability to monitor the entire infrastructure proactively and reactively. We can build incident event management and problem management processes in case of a problem so that an event is registered. We can then change the event to an incident and resolve it in the least amount of time as possible. If we can't resolve it, it enters our problem process where we can determine the source, possible fixes, and prevent the same problem from occurring in the future.

Room for Improvement

There are a couple of areas of improvement:

• Performance needs to increase; and
  • Better correlation from the box rules.

Use of Solution

We've used it for four years.

We haven't had any issues with deployment.

Stability is pretty OK. We previously had issues with a large amount of correlation rules, but OM has mostly eliminated these problems. We've thrown 1000 different correlation rules at it and it's working just fine.

Scalability is not relevant because it's a standard solution that's built for a particular purpose, which it accomplishes.

3-4/5

We performed the initial setup, which I'd rate as 3/5.

Other Solutions Considered

We did evaluate other options, but the suite of HP solutions -- Operations Manager, SiteMinder, Essentials, Service Manager -- is better than anything else out there.

Other Advice

Plan and then integrate. Planning requires a good assessment of your needs. Be prepared also make some in-production investments because you'll likely need to make changes on-the-go as you determine how to correct mistakes.

Big Data Administrator at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
I like the OVPA plugins for the various OS levels but there were some deployment issues on certain OS levels.

What is most valuable?

The OVPA plugins for the various OS levels.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm not using it now, but when I was, it was the capability of auto fixing issues that could be customized per device, OS, or application. That seemed to make people the most excited.

What needs improvement?

It can be cumbersome to get up and running. And it's very expensive.

I used it for, probably, a total of 12 years.

Just some compatibilities with certain OS levels that I remember.

No issues, it was very stable.

No issues, in fact that's one of the features that I like about the tool.

Great.

It used to be great, but now it's off shore and is much more difficult.

No, but I've used Nagios after the fact at other places because it's cheaper, but it has much less flexible.

It wasn't complex, but, the DB behind it was the toughest part.

I implemented at the last place, alongside Pepperweed at Intrado. They were excellent.

No other options were looked at.

What other advice do I have?

Be patient, and take things step by step to get it going. Once that takes place, it's pretty self-sufficient.