IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is #2 ranked solution in top Performance Testing Tools and top Load Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is most commonly compared to Apache JMeter: Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional vs Apache JMeter. Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Performance Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional?

LoadRunner is the Micro Focus industry-standard software solution for application performance and load testing. LoadRunner stresses your entire system to isolate and identify potential client, network, and server bottlenecks, supporting performance testing of new technologies together with your existing, legacy applications.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Will Enable You To:

• Drive quality across your enterprise.
  • Alleviate the challenges of managing many application types, testing tools, licenses, repositories, and systems while working toward unified results.

With Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional You Can:

• Increase organizational efficiency through standardization of tools and resources.
  • Balance your priorities and improve the results delivered by your testing team.
  • Increase testing productivity.
  • Improve collaboration across application teams.
  • Gain the ability to outsource some or all the tactical work of load testing.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Features:

• Intuitive and Easy to Use: Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is intuitive, versatile, and easy to use, which makes it easy for testers to quickly learn the basics and apply them to their testing tasks, while engineers who are more experienced can utilize all the features for the most complex of scenarios.
  • Comprehensive Enterprise Coverage: Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional provides support for multiple protocols such as HTML, WebSocket, AJAX, RDP, Database, Remote Terminal Emulators, Citrix, Java, .NET, Oracle and SAP.
  • Scripting Technologies: Reduce scripting time by 50% or more via Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional’s TruClient protocol, and automatic correlation, and correlate both front end (user experience) and back end (load) issues.
  • Extensive and Flexible Test Scenarios: The LoadRunner solution provides several valuable features that let you validate, enhance, and modify your tests. It gives you the ability to integrate external measurements to assess the impact on every application component, extend tests with success-failure checks, and emulate peak loads. You can also apply load on the go and change parameters for better flexibility in order to yield the most representative testing possible.
  • Realistic Network Conditions: Network virtualization capabilities help accurately simulate realistic conditions for an accurate analysis of both throughput and user response time. Realistic network conditions are predicted using location-aware analytics, transaction analysis and optimization.
  • Accurate Workloads with Low Overhead: Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional allows you to run high-scale tests with minimal hardware so that you can apply accurate workloads to any application.
  • Ongoing Testing Support: The Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional solution provides continuous testing support via built-in integrations across IDE, CI/CD, open source test automation, monitoring, and source code management tools.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Benefits:

• Quickly deliver enterprise engineering capabilities and facilitate sharing of assets and collaboration.
  • Reduce complexity and increase utilization of infrastructure and human resources.
  • Get the big picture with cross-project reporting and individual project drill downs.
  • Increase collaboration and consistency with unified storage and access to all relevant assets.
  • Reduce costs with centralized management and built-in support of cloud-based load generation.
  • Analyze end-to-end performance, including topology, infrastructure-level, and advanced insights.
  • Incorporate application monitoring and user sentiment data to take a centralized approach to data collection and connect the dots.
  • Using powerful analytics and insights, gain visibility into the test status across the entire enterprise and performance trending information across multiple tests.

Reviews from Real Users:

"The most useful aspect of the solution is that it provides agents in different geographic locations.” - Head, Testing Centre of Excellence at NIIT Technologies Limited

"The most important feature for us is that it supports a lot of protocols because we support all of them, including HTTP, FTP, mainframe, and others.” - Test Automation, DevOps & Performance Engineering at a financial services firm

"The solution can handle a huge amount of workloads, it's quite scalable.” - Regional Head Customer Experience at a financial services firm

"The reporting mechanism is a valuable feature that generates good reports.” - Senior Architect at a computer software company

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional was previously known as Micro Focus LoadRunner, HPE LoadRunner, LoadRunner.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Customers

JetBlue, GOME, Australian Red Cross Blood Service, RMIT University, Virgin Media

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Video

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional pricing:
  • "The licensing is on a yearly basis and is relatively expensive."
  • "LoadRunner is more expensive than some competing products."
  • "This is not a cheap product."
  • "There is an annual license required to use Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional. There are not any additional costs other than the licensing fees to use it."
  • "There is a licensing cost that is expensive."
  • Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Reviews

Senior Manager - Performance Architect at Publicis Sapient
    Is very user-friendly, supports other tools, and provides in-depth and more detailed analyses
    • "Scaling is definitely one of the best features of this solution. There are no issues scaling to 10,000 or 20,000 concurrent users."
    • "In terms of resource management, you need a lot of high capacity boxes if you need to generate a load of 1,000 or 2,000 users."

What is most valuable?

Scaling is definitely one of the best features of this solution. There are no issues scaling to 10,000 or 20,000 concurrent users.

This tool gives you a lot of options. It gives you hyper correlation, etc., requiring much lower programming scans. It's very user-friendly.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional supports other tools and protocols, such as SAP, Citrix, web services, etc.

Analyses are more in-depth and more detailed, and slicing and dicing is very easy. You can pinpoint load APIs at any point in time. You can know what was happening at a specific minute with regard to your requests, headers, response time, exceptions, etc. It has great reporting capabilities.

What needs improvement?

In terms of resource management, you need a lot of high capacity boxes if you need to generate a load of 1,000 or 2,000 users.

This solution has AJAX protocol or TruClient protocol, which gives you frontend stats and web vitals with very few details. This could be integrated further to exactly map any other leading tools for frontend analysis. That is, it needs further enhancements.

Easy maintenance would be good because now if you want to upgrade the version from X to Y, it takes a couple of days. There has to be downtime as well. Operation processes should be faster and should not have an impact for more than a couple of hours.

I've been using it for more than eight years.

Technical support is very good. We have a dedicated POC for Micro Focus. Although we have to follow the process of submitting tickets and waiting for a response, if it's a P zero issue, then we can directly connect with the technical person who has been allocated to us.

Performance Testing Tools
    July 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Apache, Tricentis and others in Performance Testing Tools. Updated: July 2022.
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The SaaS version is quick and easy to set up. The on-premises version has a lot of challenges, especially related to the DB. You need to have a particular DB version to store the user data. Also, you have to depend on additional licensing from a database side. For instance, if you have Oracle, then you would need an additional license for the Oracle user.

The licensing is on a yearly basis and is relatively expensive.

What other advice do I have?

If your team doesn't have much exposure to the development side, this is a good solution because you don't need much customization. You get a lot of automated features.

I would definitely recommend choosing the SaaS option rather than the on-premises option. The on-premises version has a lot of issues. For example, I'm dealing with version 12.63, and very soon, this particular version will be obsolete in terms of support. You will have to keep updating it in order to get the support for your version.

If you're looking for a tool which gives you more insight and you're ready to pay some extra dollars for it, then you should go for Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional. However, if you need a simple, aim-and-shoot tool for load testing and getting stats out, then you probably don't need this tool that has an expensive license.

Apart from the cost, Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is one of the natural product choices in the industry. So, I would rate it at nine out of ten. If the cost were relatively lower, then I would've given it a ten.

Venkat G - PeerSpot reviewer
    Associate Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    I like the ability to use multiple protocols
    • "I like LoadRunner's ability to use multiple protocols. That's one of the greatest features along with the ability to test service calls between the app and server."
    • "Sometimes, we aren't able to see an accurate page view while replying and executing the script. When you are navigating the application side by side, it needs to be displayed on a random viewer. Sometimes we will get a few applications, and we won't get others."

What is our primary use case?

Multiple protocols are available in LoadRunner, so we can choose one based on our requirements. If it is a single protocol, we have to start recording the scripting and checking whether you can record through LoadRunner. Once the recording is done, we have to do scripting and execution. We have three people working on various applications for the same client. We are working simultaneously and sharing our work to finish our content.

What is most valuable?

I like LoadRunner's ability to use multiple protocols. That's one of the greatest features along with the ability to test service calls between the app and server.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, we aren't able to see an accurate page view while replying and executing the script. When you are navigating the application side by side, it needs to be displayed on a random viewer. Sometimes we will get a few applications, and we won't get others.

I have been using LoadRunner for my entire career, so it's been almost four years.

LoadRunner is standalone. It doesn't rely on anything. There are three components. We are using a controller and analysis instead of a controller. We design a script and run it in the controller. In analysis, we do the reporting and analysis, but instead of a controller, we have the option called performance center, where we can run the script like the controller. However, the controller is a standard Windows-based application. If you choose the performance center, any number of people can access it at the same time.

I have used JMeter and NeoLoad. I switched to LoadRunner because the client preferred it. If they have a budget and need to see clear views, we will opt for LoadRunner. However, if they lack funds, they can use an open-source tool like JMeter. I also have more experience with LoadRunner, so I would prefer to use that. We can write any number of lines of code manually to make the script work.

LoadRunner is a little more expensive than NeoLoad, but LoadRunner's interface is more user-friendly.

Whenever a client wants to improve their application, they will procure the licenses. It's simple to install. it will take hardly 20 to 30 minutes of time to install and we will get 50 user licenses free of cost.

It only takes 30 minutes to deploy on our application. It's on a private cloud that we use whenever we're working on a particular project. One person is enough to install it.

LoadRunner is a little more expensive than other solutions, but there are no hidden costs.

What other advice do I have?

I rate LoadRunner nine out of 10. You can get 50 users for free before you decide to procure the license, but run the script for multiple users.

Performance Testing Tools
    July 2022
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Vipul-Kumar - PeerSpot reviewer
    CTO at Intelli AI LLC
    Feature-rich, quick to create effective test cases, and timely support
    • "The most valuable feature is the ability to create performance test cases quickly and then execute them. It provides a lot of powerful features to do that very efficiently and effectively."
    • "The flexibility could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use this product primarily for performance testing in various software applications. There are web-related use cases, as well.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The flexibility could be improved. For example, there are some use cases where I prefer to use NeoLoad rather than LoadRunner because of the flexibility that it provides.

I have been working with Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional for the past 10 to 15 years.

We have had no significant issues with stability or performance.

It is easy to scale and configure. We have approximately 50 people that work with it.

There are issues from time to time that we need help with. There have been specific problems that we reached out to the vendor about, and they have mostly been resolved on time.

I am satisfied with the support.

I have used several other performance testing tools.

One of the other ones that I have used is NeoLoad, which is a more recent entrant in this space. It's a lot more flexible to use than some other products.

When it comes to setting up test cases, the process is slightly different in NeoLoad. It is a little more automated than LoadRunner.

NeoLoad is also more cost-effective than LoadRunner.

The suitability of one product over another depends on the use case. Both of them have their strengths. LoadRunner is a much more longstanding and mature product in the market.

The initial setup is a complex process that is not too straightforward. However, with some expertise, it is not a big problem.

It took a couple of days for us to deploy.

We did most of the implementation internally. I handled it myself.

LoadRunner is more expensive than some competing products.

The pricing is a little too high. However, everything is mostly included in the initial license. It depends on how many nodes you want to set up. This is what determines some of the additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking into implementing LoadRunner is to try it out. Start playing with the product and test it.

RajeevSAwant - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head Automation COE at Truglobal
    Great for performance testing and capturing performance engineering
    • "A very comprehensive tool that is good for performance testing."
    • "Lacks specific level monitoring."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case was for performance testing and platform application problems. We used it mainly in the banking sector and for API testing. It's multi-purpose. I recently moved to a different company.

What is most valuable?

This is a very comprehensive tool. It helped us with performance testing and allowed us to capture the actual performance engineering as well.

What needs improvement?

If they were to add some kind of specific level monitoring, I think that would be very useful. When it comes to the main load of operation, it stimulates the load by using the underlying mechanism, either the API or some other protocol. If they were able to capture the UI aspect as well, that would be very, very helpful. This is an expensive solution and perhaps they could change their modeling to improve that.

I used this solution for over 12 years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is scalable. The whole objective of LoadRunner is scalability. In the organization, we had somewhere around 20 users supporting multiple customers.

The technical support is very good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I also have experience with JMeter. In comparison, if it's a wave application or to some degree API testing, then JMeter works well and it's a free tool so we can tweak it to our needs. We can use BlazeMeter for the same purpose. They are cheaper options than LoadRunner. But when it comes to different types of protocols, unique protocols, those are typically supported by LoadRunner. It's a very comprehensive tool and that's why it's costly.

The initial setup is not that straightforward. It requires specialists to train LoadRunner users. We used integrators to assist with implementation. The solution doesn't really require any maintenance.

Micro Focus offers several options for licensing, it really depends on the number of users you have and your use case.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to have proper parameterization and correlation as part of the scripting. The workflow or modeling has to be done appropriately according to the load that will be required and that needs to be done prior to implementation. Know what your steps will be, how you plan to increase the load and replicate real-world scenarios.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Test Automation, DevOps & Performance Engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Support many different protocols, but integration with the CICD pipeline should be easier
    • "The most important feature for us is that it supports a lot of protocols because we support all of them, including HTTP, FTP, mainframe, and others."
    • "The product is pretty heavy and should be more lightweight."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to test our web application that is used for internet banking.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature for us is that it supports a lot of protocols because we support all of them, including HTTP, FTP, mainframe, and others. This means that it is very scalable.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see easier integration with our CICD pipeline.

The product is pretty heavy and should be more lightweight.

I would like to see a browser extension where we can start the development. This would be helpful because right now, this solution is good for UTM integration and performance testing, but if we want to scale then it is difficult.

I have only been using LoadRunner Professional for a short time because I just joined the company, and I used to work with open-source technology.

We have six or seven people using this product.

As we have just begun using it, we have note let had to contact support.

The initial setup is pretty easy. This product is Java-based and you just have to add the independent libraries and dependencies. It is more of a client-server based architecture

This is not a cheap product.

I have primarily used JMeter, which is open-source and free to use.

I have also used Silk Performer, although that was a long way back.

The suitability of one solution over another is very dependant on the use case. When it comes to performance testing, it is very specific to the use case. It depends on your goal and what you want to do.

What other advice do I have?

These days, testing is not a separate activity. It's more about how fast you can quickly deliver and time to market. This is a product that I can recommend, although it depends on the use case. The first question has to be one of budget because LoadRunner is not cheap. Things differ from company to company. At the same time, not all of the free tools can perform all of the functions. It is based on requirements.

If they're a small company, such as a startup e-commerce company, then they might be better off implementing an open-source product.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Performance Test & Engineering Line manager -NFT at Amdocs
    Straightforward installation, proactive support, and reliable
    • "The most valuable features of Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional are the separate module for scripting, execution analysis, and integration with a lot of new things pipeline areas. They keep updating their releases. Recently, they have released different versions, such as the professional and enterprise. They're coming up with new features which are good."
    • "Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional can improve the implementation of digital areas, such as digital testing, UI and native application, and native mobile applications."

How has it helped my organization?

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is an on-premises solution, but we have our own internal cloud where we have deployed it. However, it is considered an on-premise solution.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional can be used on any application. This is a tool we use to create a concurrent transaction on an application. We can do traffic simulating for end-users behavior.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional are the separate module for scripting, execution analysis, and integration with a lot of new things pipeline areas. They keep updating their releases. Recently, they have released different versions, such as the professional and enterprise. They're coming up with new features which are good.

The most important aspect of Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is the security of the tool and what it provides as a result.

What needs improvement?

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional can improve the implementation of digital areas, such as digital testing, UI and native application, and native mobile applications.

I have been using Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional for approximately 14 years.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is a stable solution.

The scalability of Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is good. I can scale up and it has wide support for different protocols. Pretty powerful in terms of logins to different pipelines, such as Gen Kings.

We have approximately 30 to 40 customers and approximately 300 users using the solution.

For the Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is not possible for them to provide us with a resolution because there is a bottleneck from the solution side, but they are proactive.

The initial setup of Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is simple for me. However, I understand new people have to learn, and I would still rate it simple. The deployment took approximately 30 to 45 minutes. Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is straightforward but the Enterprise version is complicated.

There is an annual license required to use Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional. There are not any additional costs other than the licensing fees to use it.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is that this solution is good and they should

I rate Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional a nine out of ten.

Regional Head Customer Experience at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Supports multiple protocols, easy to install and use, and handles large workloads
    • "The solution can handle a huge amount of workloads, it's quite scalable."
    • "We are going to continue to use the product in the future, I recommend this product. However, those who are looking for only REST-based on the API, I would recommend some other tool because of the cost. There are others available on the market."

What is our primary use case?

We are it using the solution mainly for the REST-based API.

What is most valuable?

It is quite a good tool. It supports a medical protocol which we tried to explore in other products, but none of them had. It is very difficult to get data tool support in these solutions but LoadRunner does support them, it is a big advantage. Overall, It is pretty simple, easy to use.

What needs improvement?

My team members predominately used the product to do development but I don't think it needs anything in a way of improvements.

I have been using the solution for over two years.

We didn't see any challenge with this product at all.

The solution can handle a huge amount of workloads, it's quite scalable.

We found the support to be good. Whenever there is an issue with anything, within 24-hours we get an answer. If we want someone from their team to look into an issue, they will log it, analyze it and get back to us.

The installation took around 20 to 30 minutes.

We did the installation and deployment of the product ourselves. It's simple and pretty easy. We were using the LRP, we did not need any technical guidance for anything. We simply installed the configuration, then a few clicks, and we were done.

There is a licensing cost that is expensive. There is also the Enterprise version of the software which allows other features that the Professional does not, such as, license sharing.

What other advice do I have?

We are going to continue to use the product in the future, I recommend this product. However, those who are looking for only REST-based on the API, I would recommend some other tool because of the cost. There are others available on the market.

I rate Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional an eight out of ten.

Arif Ahmed - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. QA Automation Specialist at Department of Transportation NYC
    Correlation and parameterization are the key valuable features for us
    • "Paramterization and correlation are important features."
    • "Licensing costs could be reduced."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for client service applications, mostly web-based applications. There are a lot of service conversions needed in terms of Apple to Apple talking or using with a protocol. If you need what they're offering then I think LoadRunner is a good tool. And it's from HP. Primary use cases are creating code-based operations for the latest updates, and API calls if we are in corporate. I'm a QA leader and we are customers of Micro Focus LoadRunner.

What is most valuable?

I think correlation is one of the important features. Correlation, parameterization, those kind of features make things easier.

What needs improvement?

It's a very expensive tool so I think licensing costs could be reduced. I think their monitoring services in real time could be improved and made more user friendly.

I've been using this solution for nearly 15 years.

This is a stable product - I've dealt with it over the past 15 years and it's stable.

It's a scalable product in terms of it's running or technology wise.

Their tech support is pretty good. They try to document things and they are organized. I would say I've had good experience with them.

This is a heavy-duty tool, so it's not a one-click installation. But I think it's comparatively easier with the documentation they provide.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that if you have a site that needs to be used by a lot of people or if it's for enterprise applications where consumption is high, then it's a good tool. Otherwise, if there are fewer users or not a lot of load, then I would say that other tools might be handy. If you require performance-oriented applications, then it's a good tool.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Download our free Performance Testing Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Apache, Tricentis, and more!
    Updated: July 2022