IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is #2 ranked solution in top Performance Testing Tools and top Load Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional an average rating of 8 out of 10. Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is most commonly compared to Apache JMeter: Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional vs Apache JMeter. Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.

Download the Performance Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional?

LoadRunner is the Micro Focus industry-standard software solution for application performance and load testing. LoadRunner stresses your entire system to isolate and identify potential client, network, and server bottlenecks, supporting performance testing of new technologies together with your existing, legacy applications.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Will Enable You To:

• Drive quality across your enterprise.
  • Alleviate the challenges of managing many application types, testing tools, licenses, repositories, and systems while working toward unified results.

With Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional You Can:

• Increase organizational efficiency through standardization of tools and resources.
  • Balance your priorities and improve the results delivered by your testing team.
  • Increase testing productivity.
  • Improve collaboration across application teams.
  • Gain the ability to outsource some or all the tactical work of load testing.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Features:

• Intuitive and Easy to Use: Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is intuitive, versatile, and easy to use, which makes it easy for testers to quickly learn the basics and apply them to their testing tasks, while engineers who are more experienced can utilize all the features for the most complex of scenarios.
  • Comprehensive Enterprise Coverage: Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional provides support for multiple protocols such as HTML, WebSocket, AJAX, RDP, Database, Remote Terminal Emulators, Citrix, Java, .NET, Oracle and SAP.
  • Scripting Technologies: Reduce scripting time by 50% or more via Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional’s TruClient protocol, and automatic correlation, and correlate both front end (user experience) and back end (load) issues.
  • Extensive and Flexible Test Scenarios: The LoadRunner solution provides several valuable features that let you validate, enhance, and modify your tests. It gives you the ability to integrate external measurements to assess the impact on every application component, extend tests with success-failure checks, and emulate peak loads. You can also apply load on the go and change parameters for better flexibility in order to yield the most representative testing possible.
  • Realistic Network Conditions: Network virtualization capabilities help accurately simulate realistic conditions for an accurate analysis of both throughput and user response time. Realistic network conditions are predicted using location-aware analytics, transaction analysis and optimization.
  • Accurate Workloads with Low Overhead: Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional allows you to run high-scale tests with minimal hardware so that you can apply accurate workloads to any application.
  • Ongoing Testing Support: The Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional solution provides continuous testing support via built-in integrations across IDE, CI/CD, open source test automation, monitoring, and source code management tools.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Benefits:

• Quickly deliver enterprise engineering capabilities and facilitate sharing of assets and collaboration.
  • Reduce complexity and increase utilization of infrastructure and human resources.
  • Get the big picture with cross-project reporting and individual project drill downs.
  • Increase collaboration and consistency with unified storage and access to all relevant assets.
  • Reduce costs with centralized management and built-in support of cloud-based load generation.
  • Analyze end-to-end performance, including topology, infrastructure-level, and advanced insights.
  • Incorporate application monitoring and user sentiment data to take a centralized approach to data collection and connect the dots.
  • Using powerful analytics and insights, gain visibility into the test status across the entire enterprise and performance trending information across multiple tests.

Reviews from Real Users:

"The most useful aspect of the solution is that it provides agents in different geographic locations.” - Head, Testing Centre of Excellence at NIIT Technologies Limited

"The most important feature for us is that it supports a lot of protocols because we support all of them, including HTTP, FTP, mainframe, and others.” - Test Automation, DevOps & Performance Engineering at a financial services firm

"The solution can handle a huge amount of workloads, it's quite scalable.” - Regional Head Customer Experience at a financial services firm

"The reporting mechanism is a valuable feature that generates good reports.” - Senior Architect at a computer software company

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional was previously known as Micro Focus LoadRunner, HPE LoadRunner, LoadRunner.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Customers

JetBlue, GOME, Australian Red Cross Blood Service, RMIT University, Virgin Media

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Video

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional pricing:
  • "It is competing with other products that may cost significantly less or may be available as open-source. Because of that it is relatively expensive."
  • "LoadRunner is more expensive than some competing products."
  • "This is not a cheap product."
  • "There is an annual license required to use Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional. There are not any additional costs other than the licensing fees to use it."
  • "There is a licensing cost that is expensive."
  • "LoadRunner Professional is an expensive product."
  • Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Reviews

Performance Engineer with 10,001+ employees
    Has a good pedigree but there are strong contenders out there
    • "It has good protocol coverage."
    • "The product is not stable and reliable in the version we are currently using."

What is our primary use case?

All of our installations are on-premises at the moment.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features to me is that LoadRunner is familiar. I have worked with it for so long that I know where everything is and I know how it is supposed to work.   But focusing on actual program features, all I can say is it has good protocol coverage.

What needs improvement?

I have not had a really good look at the newest versions of LoadRunner. The problem I have always had with LoadRunner — and even more so with Performance Center — is that it is not very good with agile delivery and it is very difficult to integrate. Software engineers who have been working in agile delivery have been saying this for some time, and have been having success with alternatives. Also, Performance Center has historically been quite unreliable and difficult. It tends to fail at collation. I think that is because of the Load Runner architecture that Performance Center inherited. Everything waits until the end of a test to collate and it does not always work out well. I know that Micro Focus has done something about that in the new version. But that is the worst thing that happens: with LoadRunner or Performance Center you run a big critical test and you can't get the results.

I have personally been using LoadRunner and Performance Center for 20 years. I think it's been the backbone of performance testing for 20+ years and must be given credit for helping establish the discipline.
    Performance Testing Tools
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Apache, Tricentis and others in Performance Testing Tools. Updated: June 2022.
    609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Stability has been an issue. It has really been a big problem for us with Performance Center in particular. Crashing or exiting during collation is not acceptable.

We have not been totally satisfied with the scalability. We tend to have more issues with Performance Center. The more you try to grow use with it on-prem, the more headaches you have. Often working with LoadRunner and smaller environments is more reliable. We believe the SaaS solution might be better because you have got centralized management.

Most of my experience is in the early days of Mercury, they were brilliant. They were really good and helped resolve issues. I have not been using them recently.

Right now we use LoadRunner and Performance Center depending on what we believe are best practices for different situations. We are considering evaluating other options as well, including LoadRunner SaaS.

The two Micro Focus products are interesting to compare. LoadRunner is very easy to set up. Performance Center needs an expert. I can install LoadRunner in minutes by myself. To do the installation properly with Performance Center needs a specialist and takes weeks.   Plenty of people seem to have installed Performance Center in a couple of days, but when they use it they usually have problems. You really need to do it properly. I do plan to have a look at the newer versions, and maybe those implementations will be smoother.

What other advice do I have?

Advice that I would give people considering LoadRunner is that I would recommend exploring other tools first or at least in comparison. There are lots of really good open-source or even just cheaper alternatives. Depending on your use case, the other options might be much better. LoadRunner has broad protocol coverage. Sometimes you have got no choice but to go with a solution because of what it can do. But I think the days of LoadRunner being the only solution out there for this kind of testing have gone. There are some very good competitors now and where the competitor can do the job, you will save money.   On the scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional as about a six. I have not taken a good look at the latest version, but my current experience with the version of the product we use has not been great.

Vipul-Kumar - PeerSpot reviewer
    CTO at Intelli AI LLC
    Feature-rich, quick to create effective test cases, and timely support
    • "The most valuable feature is the ability to create performance test cases quickly and then execute them. It provides a lot of powerful features to do that very efficiently and effectively."
    • "The flexibility could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use this product primarily for performance testing in various software applications. There are web-related use cases, as well.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The flexibility could be improved. For example, there are some use cases where I prefer to use NeoLoad rather than LoadRunner because of the flexibility that it provides.

I have been working with Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional for the past 10 to 15 years.

We have had no significant issues with stability or performance.

It is easy to scale and configure. We have approximately 50 people that work with it.

There are issues from time to time that we need help with. There have been specific problems that we reached out to the vendor about, and they have mostly been resolved on time.

I am satisfied with the support.

I have used several other performance testing tools.

One of the other ones that I have used is NeoLoad, which is a more recent entrant in this space. It's a lot more flexible to use than some other products.

When it comes to setting up test cases, the process is slightly different in NeoLoad. It is a little more automated than LoadRunner.

NeoLoad is also more cost-effective than LoadRunner.

The suitability of one product over another depends on the use case. Both of them have their strengths. LoadRunner is a much more longstanding and mature product in the market.

The initial setup is a complex process that is not too straightforward. However, with some expertise, it is not a big problem.

It took a couple of days for us to deploy.

We did most of the implementation internally. I handled it myself.

LoadRunner is more expensive than some competing products.

The pricing is a little too high. However, everything is mostly included in the initial license. It depends on how many nodes you want to set up. This is what determines some of the additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking into implementing LoadRunner is to try it out. Start playing with the product and test it.

Performance Testing Tools
    June 2022
    609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Test Automation, DevOps & Performance Engineering at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Support many different protocols, but integration with the CICD pipeline should be easier
    • "The most important feature for us is that it supports a lot of protocols because we support all of them, including HTTP, FTP, mainframe, and others."
    • "The product is pretty heavy and should be more lightweight."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to test our web application that is used for internet banking.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature for us is that it supports a lot of protocols because we support all of them, including HTTP, FTP, mainframe, and others. This means that it is very scalable.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see easier integration with our CICD pipeline.

The product is pretty heavy and should be more lightweight.

I would like to see a browser extension where we can start the development. This would be helpful because right now, this solution is good for UTM integration and performance testing, but if we want to scale then it is difficult.

I have only been using LoadRunner Professional for a short time because I just joined the company, and I used to work with open-source technology.

We have six or seven people using this product.

As we have just begun using it, we have note let had to contact support.

The initial setup is pretty easy. This product is Java-based and you just have to add the independent libraries and dependencies. It is more of a client-server based architecture

This is not a cheap product.

I have primarily used JMeter, which is open-source and free to use.

I have also used Silk Performer, although that was a long way back.

The suitability of one solution over another is very dependant on the use case. When it comes to performance testing, it is very specific to the use case. It depends on your goal and what you want to do.

What other advice do I have?

These days, testing is not a separate activity. It's more about how fast you can quickly deliver and time to market. This is a product that I can recommend, although it depends on the use case. The first question has to be one of budget because LoadRunner is not cheap. Things differ from company to company. At the same time, not all of the free tools can perform all of the functions. It is based on requirements.

If they're a small company, such as a startup e-commerce company, then they might be better off implementing an open-source product.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Performance Test & Engineering Line manager -NFT at Amdocs
    Straightforward installation, proactive support, and reliable
    • "The most valuable features of Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional are the separate module for scripting, execution analysis, and integration with a lot of new things pipeline areas. They keep updating their releases. Recently, they have released different versions, such as the professional and enterprise. They're coming up with new features which are good."
    • "Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional can improve the implementation of digital areas, such as digital testing, UI and native application, and native mobile applications."

How has it helped my organization?

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is an on-premises solution, but we have our own internal cloud where we have deployed it. However, it is considered an on-premise solution.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional can be used on any application. This is a tool we use to create a concurrent transaction on an application. We can do traffic simulating for end-users behavior.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional are the separate module for scripting, execution analysis, and integration with a lot of new things pipeline areas. They keep updating their releases. Recently, they have released different versions, such as the professional and enterprise. They're coming up with new features which are good.

The most important aspect of Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is the security of the tool and what it provides as a result.

What needs improvement?

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional can improve the implementation of digital areas, such as digital testing, UI and native application, and native mobile applications.

I have been using Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional for approximately 14 years.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is a stable solution.

The scalability of Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is good. I can scale up and it has wide support for different protocols. Pretty powerful in terms of logins to different pipelines, such as Gen Kings.

We have approximately 30 to 40 customers and approximately 300 users using the solution.

For the Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is not possible for them to provide us with a resolution because there is a bottleneck from the solution side, but they are proactive.

The initial setup of Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is simple for me. However, I understand new people have to learn, and I would still rate it simple. The deployment took approximately 30 to 45 minutes. Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is straightforward but the Enterprise version is complicated.

There is an annual license required to use Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional. There are not any additional costs other than the licensing fees to use it.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is that this solution is good and they should

I rate Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional a nine out of ten.

Regional Head Customer Experience at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Supports multiple protocols, easy to install and use, and handles large workloads
    • "The solution can handle a huge amount of workloads, it's quite scalable."
    • "We are going to continue to use the product in the future, I recommend this product. However, those who are looking for only REST-based on the API, I would recommend some other tool because of the cost. There are others available on the market."

What is our primary use case?

We are it using the solution mainly for the REST-based API.

What is most valuable?

It is quite a good tool. It supports a medical protocol which we tried to explore in other products, but none of them had. It is very difficult to get data tool support in these solutions but LoadRunner does support them, it is a big advantage. Overall, It is pretty simple, easy to use.

What needs improvement?

My team members predominately used the product to do development but I don't think it needs anything in a way of improvements.

I have been using the solution for over two years.

We didn't see any challenge with this product at all.

The solution can handle a huge amount of workloads, it's quite scalable.

We found the support to be good. Whenever there is an issue with anything, within 24-hours we get an answer. If we want someone from their team to look into an issue, they will log it, analyze it and get back to us.

The installation took around 20 to 30 minutes.

We did the installation and deployment of the product ourselves. It's simple and pretty easy. We were using the LRP, we did not need any technical guidance for anything. We simply installed the configuration, then a few clicks, and we were done.

There is a licensing cost that is expensive. There is also the Enterprise version of the software which allows other features that the Professional does not, such as, license sharing.

What other advice do I have?

We are going to continue to use the product in the future, I recommend this product. However, those who are looking for only REST-based on the API, I would recommend some other tool because of the cost. There are others available on the market.

I rate Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional an eight out of ten.

Arif Ahmed - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. QA Automation Specialist at Department of Transportation NYC
    Correlation and parameterization are the key valuable features for us
    • "Paramterization and correlation are important features."
    • "Licensing costs could be reduced."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for client service applications, mostly web-based applications. There are a lot of service conversions needed in terms of Apple to Apple talking or using with a protocol. If you need what they're offering then I think LoadRunner is a good tool. And it's from HP. Primary use cases are creating code-based operations for the latest updates, and API calls if we are in corporate. I'm a QA leader and we are customers of Micro Focus LoadRunner.

What is most valuable?

I think correlation is one of the important features. Correlation, parameterization, those kind of features make things easier.

What needs improvement?

It's a very expensive tool so I think licensing costs could be reduced. I think their monitoring services in real time could be improved and made more user friendly.

I've been using this solution for nearly 15 years.

This is a stable product - I've dealt with it over the past 15 years and it's stable.

It's a scalable product in terms of it's running or technology wise.

Their tech support is pretty good. They try to document things and they are organized. I would say I've had good experience with them.

This is a heavy-duty tool, so it's not a one-click installation. But I think it's comparatively easier with the documentation they provide.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that if you have a site that needs to be used by a lot of people or if it's for enterprise applications where consumption is high, then it's a good tool. Otherwise, if there are fewer users or not a lot of load, then I would say that other tools might be handy. If you require performance-oriented applications, then it's a good tool.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Senior Load & Performance Test Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Integrates well with UC and the support is helpful
    • "What we like the most is that it integrates with UC."
    • "I would like to see better-licensing costs."

What is most valuable?

What we like the most is that it integrates with UC. We use UC for our front-end user experience. It's a more realistic user experience.

We use the script from the user experience and we use the action times from the UC.

What needs improvement?

If they were able to, I would say that the scalability could be improved. If the costs were not as expensive to upgrade, then we would scale it more.

The initial setup could be simplified.

I would like to see better licensing costs.

I have been working with this solution for ten years.

It's a stable solution. In the ten years that we have been using it, I have only had an issue once.  We had an issue with the protocol where it didn't support the job. We contacted support.

It's a scalable solution but I think that the Enterprise version is more scalable and more manageable.

It's fine for us, as we only have a few projects a year. On a larger scale, Enterprise would be better than the Professional edition.

When I had contacted technical support they very helpful.

Previous versions were easy to install but we struggled with the LoadRunner Enterprise to get it to work. It was a bit challenging.

LoadRunner Professional is an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

I like using LoadRunner and I recommend it.

Senior Consultant at Capgemini
    Great graph monitoring feature

What is our primary use case?

We are customers of Micro Focus and I'm an end-user.

What is most valuable?

Graph monitoring is a valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Some form of automation is needed in this product, whether it's integration with CI/CD or providing the facility to import JSON files, so that we can automatically create the scripts. I think it's reasonable to expect that kind of feature.

I've been using this solution for four years.

The solution is stable although we sometimes face issues in developing scripts but it's a problem that can be easily reverified and edited.

The solution is scalable.

Customer support is available online and it's good enough for solving the general problems that pop up.

The setup is straightforward. We are a large company so I'm not sure how many are using this solution. In my department there are four users on our current project.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Download our free Performance Testing Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, Apache, Tricentis, and more!
    Updated: June 2022