Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is the #2 ranked solution in top Performance Testing Tools and top Load Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is most commonly compared to Tricentis NeoLoad: Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional vs Tricentis NeoLoad. Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Buyer's Guide

Download the Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional?

LoadRunner is the Micro Focus industry-standard software solution for application performance and load testing. LoadRunner stresses your entire system to isolate and identify potential client, network, and server bottlenecks, supporting performance testing of new technologies together with your existing, legacy applications.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Will Enable You To:

• Drive quality across your enterprise.
  • Alleviate the challenges of managing many application types, testing tools, licenses, repositories, and systems while working toward unified results.

With Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional You Can:

• Increase organizational efficiency through standardization of tools and resources.
  • Balance your priorities and improve the results delivered by your testing team.
  • Increase testing productivity.
  • Improve collaboration across application teams.
  • Gain the ability to outsource some or all the tactical work of load testing.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Features:

• Intuitive and Easy to Use: Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is intuitive, versatile, and easy to use, which makes it easy for testers to quickly learn the basics and apply them to their testing tasks, while engineers who are more experienced can utilize all the features for the most complex of scenarios.
  • Comprehensive Enterprise Coverage: Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional provides support for multiple protocols such as HTML, WebSocket, AJAX, RDP, Database, Remote Terminal Emulators, Citrix, Java, .NET, Oracle and SAP.
  • Scripting Technologies: Reduce scripting time by 50% or more via Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional’s TruClient protocol, and automatic correlation, and correlate both front end (user experience) and back end (load) issues.
  • Extensive and Flexible Test Scenarios: The LoadRunner solution provides several valuable features that let you validate, enhance, and modify your tests. It gives you the ability to integrate external measurements to assess the impact on every application component, extend tests with success-failure checks, and emulate peak loads. You can also apply load on the go and change parameters for better flexibility in order to yield the most representative testing possible.
  • Realistic Network Conditions: Network virtualization capabilities help accurately simulate realistic conditions for an accurate analysis of both throughput and user response time. Realistic network conditions are predicted using location-aware analytics, transaction analysis and optimization.
  • Accurate Workloads with Low Overhead: Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional allows you to run high-scale tests with minimal hardware so that you can apply accurate workloads to any application.
  • Ongoing Testing Support: The Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional solution provides continuous testing support via built-in integrations across IDE, CI/CD, open source test automation, monitoring, and source code management tools.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Benefits:

• Quickly deliver enterprise engineering capabilities and facilitate sharing of assets and collaboration.
  • Reduce complexity and increase utilization of infrastructure and human resources.
  • Get the big picture with cross-project reporting and individual project drill downs.
  • Increase collaboration and consistency with unified storage and access to all relevant assets.
  • Reduce costs with centralized management and built-in support of cloud-based load generation.
  • Analyze end-to-end performance, including topology, infrastructure-level, and advanced insights.
  • Incorporate application monitoring and user sentiment data to take a centralized approach to data collection and connect the dots.
  • Using powerful analytics and insights, gain visibility into the test status across the entire enterprise and performance trending information across multiple tests.

Reviews from Real Users:

"The most useful aspect of the solution is that it provides agents in different geographic locations.” - Head, Testing Centre of Excellence at NIIT Technologies Limited

"The most important feature for us is that it supports a lot of protocols because we support all of them, including HTTP, FTP, mainframe, and others.” - Test Automation, DevOps & Performance Engineering at a financial services firm

"The solution can handle a huge amount of workloads, it's quite scalable.” - Regional Head Customer Experience at a financial services firm

"The reporting mechanism is a valuable feature that generates good reports.” - Senior Architect at a computer software company

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional was previously known as Micro Focus LoadRunner, HPE LoadRunner, LoadRunner.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Customers

JetBlue, GOME, Australian Red Cross Blood Service, RMIT University, Virgin Media

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Video

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional pricing:
  • "The licensing is on a yearly basis and is relatively expensive."
  • "Pricing depends on our choices because it depends on what type of protocol we are getting, what type of licensing we are getting, and what kind of relationships we have with HP and Micro Focus."
  • "The licensing model is complex. You have to pick up the protocol and the number of concurrent users, and then select the level of concurrent users. For example, there would be one price for 100 to 500 users and another for 500 to 2000 users. If you choose two protocols, then you will have to pay twice the amount depending on the number of concurrent users."
  • "LoadRunner is more expensive than some competing products."
  • "LoadRunner Professional's licensing costs are on the higher side, apart from the Community Edition."
  • Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Reviews

Senior Manager - Performance Architect at Publicis Sapient
    Is very user-friendly, supports other tools, and provides in-depth and more detailed analyses
    • "Scaling is definitely one of the best features of this solution. There are no issues scaling to 10,000 or 20,000 concurrent users."
    • "In terms of resource management, you need a lot of high capacity boxes if you need to generate a load of 1,000 or 2,000 users."

What is most valuable?

Scaling is definitely one of the best features of this solution. There are no issues scaling to 10,000 or 20,000 concurrent users.

This tool gives you a lot of options. It gives you hyper correlation, etc., requiring much lower programming scans. It's very user-friendly.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional supports other tools and protocols, such as SAP, Citrix, web services, etc.

Analyses are more in-depth and more detailed, and slicing and dicing is very easy. You can pinpoint load APIs at any point in time. You can know what was happening at a specific minute with regard to your requests, headers, response time, exceptions, etc. It has great reporting capabilities.

What needs improvement?

In terms of resource management, you need a lot of high capacity boxes if you need to generate a load of 1,000 or 2,000 users.

This solution has AJAX protocol or TruClient protocol, which gives you frontend stats and web vitals with very few details. This could be integrated further to exactly map any other leading tools for frontend analysis. That is, it needs further enhancements.

Easy maintenance would be good because now if you want to upgrade the version from X to Y, it takes a couple of days. There has to be downtime as well. Operation processes should be faster and should not have an impact for more than a couple of hours.

I've been using it for more than eight years.

Technical support is very good. We have a dedicated POC for Micro Focus. Although we have to follow the process of submitting tickets and waiting for a response, if it's a P zero issue, then we can directly connect with the technical person who has been allocated to us.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The SaaS version is quick and easy to set up. The on-premises version has a lot of challenges, especially related to the DB. You need to have a particular DB version to store the user data. Also, you have to depend on additional licensing from a database side. For instance, if you have Oracle, then you would need an additional license for the Oracle user.

The licensing is on a yearly basis and is relatively expensive.

What other advice do I have?

If your team doesn't have much exposure to the development side, this is a good solution because you don't need much customization. You get a lot of automated features.

I would definitely recommend choosing the SaaS option rather than the on-premises option. The on-premises version has a lot of issues. For example, I'm dealing with version 12.63, and very soon, this particular version will be obsolete in terms of support. You will have to keep updating it in order to get the support for your version.

If you're looking for a tool which gives you more insight and you're ready to pay some extra dollars for it, then you should go for Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional. However, if you need a simple, aim-and-shoot tool for load testing and getting stats out, then you probably don't need this tool that has an expensive license.

Apart from the cost, Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is one of the natural product choices in the industry. So, I would rate it at nine out of ten. If the cost were relatively lower, then I would've given it a ten.

Saroja Josephine Jillella - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Reliable with good reporting and support of a wide range of protocols
    • "The reporting is very good in regard to scripting and debugging."
    • "We'd like the solution to be a bit more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used for scripting and debugging.

What is most valuable?

It supports a wide range of protocols, which I don't think any other load-testing tool can offer.

It's very stable and reliable.

The reporting is very good in regard to scripting and debugging.

What needs improvement?

The installation process and the initial configuration could be a little easier.

We'd like the solution to be a bit more user-friendly.

For someone that doesn't have a lot of experience with the solution, it might be challenging. Even after five years of using it, I still find it challenging.

The solution can be quite expensive.

There is slow performance when you are opening multiple instances on one machine.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is stable. We've had no issues around reliability. It's used for scripting and debugging and is very good overall. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

For scalability, I will use LoadRunner Enterprise, not LoadRunner Professional. LoadRunner Professional is purely for scripting and debugging purposes. This is not necessarily a scalable product. We have just one user. We have no need to scale.

Technical support is very responsive and knowledgeable. Whenever we write a ticket to them, we get assistance. I haven't had any issues with respect to support. Sometimes it will take time for them to report back, however, it's never very long.

Positive

So far, I have also used JMeter. Compared to JMeter, LoadRunner is the best tool out there. From the feedback from my peers, most of them prefer LoadRunner in terms of performance testing, executions, and other things, and also in terms of scripting and debugging, which provides more insight during our work.

The initial setup and configuration can be a bit difficult.

It does take a lot of time when I try to install it on my system or on the remote machines that I'm working on. It takes quite a long time, and sometimes I will get issues related to the system during installation. I've had to contact the administrator and get support from the IT support team for the installation process. Sometimes the setup is a bit of a mess.

I'd rate the solution a three and a half out of five in terms of ease of setup.

It is very expensive compared to the other tools available in the market. LoadRunner is likely the most expensive one. I'd rate it a one or two out of five in terms of affordability.

I'm not aware of the exact cost. I'm not involved in the purchasing.

What other advice do I have?

If someone can afford it, I would say to go for it, 100%. If they want to do performance testing, it's reliable, and the IT support from them online is amazing. You just need the capability to support the cost over the years.

I'm satisfied with the product. I'd rate it nine out of ten.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional
    November 2022
    653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Manager at Capgemini
    Feature-rich, easy-to-install, with instant upgrades and patches
    • "It is actually a very good tool because it will support almost all, if not all, industry-standard protocols, and it is also equipped with very nice reporting capabilities, which is why I like it."
    • "I would like them to lower the licensing cost and provide better support."

What is our primary use case?

I use Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional primarily for performance testing.

What is most valuable?

It is actually a very good tool because it will support almost all, if not all, industry-standard protocols, and it is also equipped with very nice reporting capabilities, which is why I like it.

They are immediately upgrading and providing the patch in this manner. It's good.

What needs improvement?

The drawback is that it is very expensive.

It is already a well-known tool with a vast number of features. The only issue is what they are actually making up for the asking rate.  A lot of people are unable to pay that much money in the industry.

I would like them to lower the licensing cost and provide better support.

The price is too expensive.

I've been using Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional for the last ten years and LoadRunner exclusively for the last twenty.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is 100 percent stable.

Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is 100 percent scalable.

We have 500 users in our organization.

I may use it 12 to 15 times per year.

I would rate the technical support a one out of five.

The technical support is very bad.

They are not providing any technical support, even though we have a support license. They have only hired people with zero knowledge.

They are completely unresponsive.

If I run into any problems or have any issues, I will resolve them only by myself. I will not rely on any technical support. If I raise a support ticket, they will actually require my setting for more than a month or two to solve a very simple problem.

Negative

I am new to this company. I only use the company website and the CS portal. Other than that, I do not use any of the other products.

I work in performance testing and I am currently using RadView or WebLOAD, as well as a Micro Focus LoadRunner and Silk Performer. At the same time, I used a couple of IBM products, including SLAMD and the rational performance tester. Aside from that, I use a variety of other products such as JMeter and others.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I would rate the initial setup a five out of five.

Pricing depends on our choices because it depends on what type of protocol we are getting, what type of licensing we are getting, and what kind of relationships we have with HP and Micro Focus. We can't say how much it will be based on that.

I cannot say because we are technical managers and I am not involved in any costing or pricing issues. I am not involved with any pricing.

I would rate the pricing a one out of five. It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional a ten out of ten.

Without a doubt, it is an excellent product.

Peter Pischel Senior Sales Executive at Tricentis

In my opinion, NeoLoad is the way to go.

Venkat G - PeerSpot reviewer
    Associate Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    I like the ability to use multiple protocols
    • "I like LoadRunner's ability to use multiple protocols. That's one of the greatest features along with the ability to test service calls between the app and server."
    • "Sometimes, we aren't able to see an accurate page view while replying and executing the script. When you are navigating the application side by side, it needs to be displayed on a random viewer. Sometimes we will get a few applications, and we won't get others."

What is our primary use case?

Multiple protocols are available in LoadRunner, so we can choose one based on our requirements. If it is a single protocol, we have to start recording the scripting and checking whether you can record through LoadRunner. Once the recording is done, we have to do scripting and execution. We have three people working on various applications for the same client. We are working simultaneously and sharing our work to finish our content.

What is most valuable?

I like LoadRunner's ability to use multiple protocols. That's one of the greatest features along with the ability to test service calls between the app and server.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, we aren't able to see an accurate page view while replying and executing the script. When you are navigating the application side by side, it needs to be displayed on a random viewer. Sometimes we will get a few applications, and we won't get others.

I have been using LoadRunner for my entire career, so it's been almost four years.

LoadRunner is standalone. It doesn't rely on anything. There are three components. We are using a controller and analysis instead of a controller. We design a script and run it in the controller. In analysis, we do the reporting and analysis, but instead of a controller, we have the option called performance center, where we can run the script like the controller. However, the controller is a standard Windows-based application. If you choose the performance center, any number of people can access it at the same time.

I have used JMeter and NeoLoad. I switched to LoadRunner because the client preferred it. If they have a budget and need to see clear views, we will opt for LoadRunner. However, if they lack funds, they can use an open-source tool like JMeter. I also have more experience with LoadRunner, so I would prefer to use that. We can write any number of lines of code manually to make the script work.

LoadRunner is a little more expensive than NeoLoad, but LoadRunner's interface is more user-friendly.

Whenever a client wants to improve their application, they will procure the licenses. It's simple to install. it will take hardly 20 to 30 minutes of time to install and we will get 50 user licenses free of cost.

It only takes 30 minutes to deploy on our application. It's on a private cloud that we use whenever we're working on a particular project. One person is enough to install it.

LoadRunner is a little more expensive than other solutions, but there are no hidden costs.

What other advice do I have?

I rate LoadRunner nine out of 10. You can get 50 users for free before you decide to procure the license, but run the script for multiple users.

Peter Pischel Senior Sales Executive at Tricentis

LoadRunner is going to be replaced by many customers. As indicated, LoadRunner does not match today's requirements.

AphiwatLeetavorn - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager, Director, Share Holder at Marco Technology
    Can get things done in a very short period of time and has very little bottleneck issues
    • "It has features for recording. The best feature with Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is that there is very little bottleneck or overhead issues. With LoadRunner, you can spawn 2000 contributions for one machine."
    • "The pricing model, selling model, and business model need to be adjusted. For non-enterprise organizations, Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is too expensive and not worth the cost."

What is our primary use case?

My customers use it for performance testing. It is the ultimate tool for it.

What is most valuable?

It has features for recording. The best feature with Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is that there is very little bottleneck or overhead issues. With LoadRunner, you can spawn 2000 contributions for one machine.

What needs improvement?

The pricing model, selling model, and business model need to be adjusted. For non-enterprise organizations, Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional is too expensive and not worth the cost.

Technical support also needs to be improved.

Everyone wants to make the testing phase easy, and so, the recording feature needs to be more stable for every app and every command application. Right now, the call language is C, and it would be better if it were changed to another language such as JavaScript.

I've been using this solution for almost 20 years.

It's stable, but in the newest version, it takes about six months till we can guarantee the stability.

My customers have turned to Micro Focus' technical support, but they have mostly not been able to solve the problems. When the case has to do with the setup, the technical support has been useless. So, I would give them a three out of ten.

Negative

I have used several tools, but Micro Focus is the best. We can get things done in a very short period of time. If we used an open source tool, then we would need more time.

The initial deployment is quite simple. It's not complex and can be done in one or two days.

LoadRunner Professional is easy to maintain.

The licensing model is complex. You have to pick up the protocol and the number of concurrent users, and then select the level of concurrent users. For example, there would be one price for 100 to 500 users and another for 500 to 2000 users. If you choose two protocols, then you will have to pay twice the amount depending on the number of concurrent users.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend LoadRunner to everyone because they have a community with 50 concurrent users. Micro Focus has done standard testing and guarantees the use of LoadRunner in this case. With an open source tool, however, there is no guarantee, and you would be using it at your own risk.

The purpose of using a tool like this is to reduce application performance risk. So, using a tool at your own risk to reduce the risk is not reasonable. Therefore, I recommend using LoadRunner and rate it at eight on a scale from one to ten.

Vipul-Kumar - PeerSpot reviewer
    CTO at Intelli AI LLC
    Feature-rich, quick to create effective test cases, and timely support
    • "The most valuable feature is the ability to create performance test cases quickly and then execute them. It provides a lot of powerful features to do that very efficiently and effectively."
    • "The flexibility could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use this product primarily for performance testing in various software applications. There are web-related use cases, as well.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The flexibility could be improved. For example, there are some use cases where I prefer to use NeoLoad rather than LoadRunner because of the flexibility that it provides.

I have been working with Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional for the past 10 to 15 years.

We have had no significant issues with stability or performance.

It is easy to scale and configure. We have approximately 50 people that work with it.

There are issues from time to time that we need help with. There have been specific problems that we reached out to the vendor about, and they have mostly been resolved on time.

I am satisfied with the support.

I have used several other performance testing tools.

One of the other ones that I have used is NeoLoad, which is a more recent entrant in this space. It's a lot more flexible to use than some other products.

When it comes to setting up test cases, the process is slightly different in NeoLoad. It is a little more automated than LoadRunner.

NeoLoad is also more cost-effective than LoadRunner.

The suitability of one product over another depends on the use case. Both of them have their strengths. LoadRunner is a much more longstanding and mature product in the market.

The initial setup is a complex process that is not too straightforward. However, with some expertise, it is not a big problem.

It took a couple of days for us to deploy.

We did most of the implementation internally. I handled it myself.

LoadRunner is more expensive than some competing products.

The pricing is a little too high. However, everything is mostly included in the initial license. It depends on how many nodes you want to set up. This is what determines some of the additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking into implementing LoadRunner is to try it out. Start playing with the product and test it.

RajeevSAwant - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head Automation COE at Truglobal
    Great for performance testing and capturing performance engineering
    • "A very comprehensive tool that is good for performance testing."
    • "Lacks specific level monitoring."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case was for performance testing and platform application problems. We used it mainly in the banking sector and for API testing. It's multi-purpose. I recently moved to a different company.

What is most valuable?

This is a very comprehensive tool. It helped us with performance testing and allowed us to capture the actual performance engineering as well.

What needs improvement?

If they were to add some kind of specific level monitoring, I think that would be very useful. When it comes to the main load of operation, it stimulates the load by using the underlying mechanism, either the API or some other protocol. If they were able to capture the UI aspect as well, that would be very, very helpful. This is an expensive solution and perhaps they could change their modeling to improve that.

I used this solution for over 12 years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is scalable. The whole objective of LoadRunner is scalability. In the organization, we had somewhere around 20 users supporting multiple customers.

The technical support is very good.

Positive

I also have experience with JMeter. In comparison, if it's a wave application or to some degree API testing, then JMeter works well and it's a free tool so we can tweak it to our needs. We can use BlazeMeter for the same purpose. They are cheaper options than LoadRunner. But when it comes to different types of protocols, unique protocols, those are typically supported by LoadRunner. It's a very comprehensive tool and that's why it's costly.

The initial setup is not that straightforward. It requires specialists to train LoadRunner users. We used integrators to assist with implementation. The solution doesn't really require any maintenance.

Micro Focus offers several options for licensing, it really depends on the number of users you have and your use case.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to have proper parameterization and correlation as part of the scripting. The workflow or modeling has to be done appropriately according to the load that will be required and that needs to be done prior to implementation. Know what your steps will be, how you plan to increase the load and replicate real-world scenarios.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Omkar  Sawant - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Helpful, user-friendly tool that allows organization-wide load testing
    • "LoadRunner Professional allowed us to load test potential new payroll solutions that would be implemented throughout the entire organization so that we knew which was best suited to performing well under pressure."
    • "Micro Focus has two separate products for web and mobile applications, which means you have to invest in both."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use LoadRunner Professional to load test applications in a manufacturing environment.

How has it helped my organization?

LoadRunner Professional allowed us to load test potential new payroll solutions that would be implemented throughout the entire organization so that we knew which was best suited to performing well under pressure.

What is most valuable?

LoadRunner Professional's most valuable features are the easy setup, the auto-correlation feature, the high number of protocols, the analysis, and the reporting.

What needs improvement?

Micro Focus has two separate products for web and mobile applications, which means you have to invest in both. LoadRunner Professional does have a mobile protocol, but it works on very few applications. Merging the two products would be a big improvement, especially if Micro Focus also ensures the on-prem and cloud solutions have the same features. They're also not great with communication, including about important things like new rollouts.

I've been using LoadRunner Professional for five to six years.

LoadRunner Professional's performance has been good, and we've had no issues with stability.

LoadRunner Professional's technical support is really good - they respond promptly and give super support. They also have a nice, robust knowledge bank, so if there are any issues, you can usually find help on the support site or via the community.

The ease of LoadRunner Professional's setup process is one of its strengths - it's straightforward and takes a day or two to deploy.

We used a vendor team.

We've got quite a good ROI from LoadRunner Professional, as it has reduced our downtime, raised our response time, and allowed us to test the new payroll system for the entire organization. However, the ROI is lower than it could be as we only use LoadRunner sparingly to avoid higher costs.

LoadRunner Professional's licensing costs are on the higher side, apart from the Community Edition. The Community Edition is free but limited to fifty users; after that, you have to pay for extra users.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend LoadRunner Professional as a helpful, user-friendly tool with a huge knowledge base. The only thing to bear in mind is the higher cost. I would give LoadRunner Professional a rating of eight out of ten.

Peter Pischel Senior Sales Executive at Tricentis

In my opinion, LoadRunner is outdated. The best Load and perf tool on the market is NeoLoad, owned by Tricentis.

Download our free Micro Focus LoadRunner Professional Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022