IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

McAfee Web Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee Web Gateway is #11 ranked solution in top Web Security Gateways. PeerSpot users give McAfee Web Gateway an average rating of 10 out of 10. McAfee Web Gateway is most commonly compared to Cisco Umbrella: McAfee Web Gateway vs Cisco Umbrella. McAfee Web Gateway is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Secure Web Gateways (SWG) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is McAfee Web Gateway?

Organizations can do more over the web today than ever before. Today’s web offers a
dynamic, real-time user experience. However, the web has also become a more dangerous
place, with increasingly sophisticated attacks released every day. McAfee® Web Gateway
is a critical defense for any organization to protect against emerging malware threats. It
empowers organizations with secure internet access while greatly reducing risk through an
advanced security approach that combines powerful, local intent analysis with cloud-based
protection powered by McAfee Labs.

McAfee Web Gateway Customers

Prodeb, Vidant Health, WEG Industries

McAfee Web Gateway Video

McAfee Web Gateway Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee Web Gateway pricing:
  • "Some of our clients have a perpetual license and pay additional support yearly."
  • "Pricing is not out of reach."
  • McAfee Web Gateway Reviews

Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Very sophisticated with great anti-virus filtering, URL categorization, and reporting capabilities
    • "Good anti-virus filtering, URL categorization, and reporting capabilities."
    • "User interface could be more intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

This is a web security product, it controls the usage of web for employees. There is an integral anti-virus and web URL filtering solution. I've used the solution in multiple companies that I worked in, and for the last six months I have a new company and I sell the solution along with other security products. I'm a security engineer.

What is most valuable?

I like the anti-virus filtering, URL categorization, and reporting capabilities. I also like the ability to control what kinds of files or content can be downloaded. So you can restrict executables and potential harmful files. It's a very sophisticated and mature solution.

What needs improvement?

I think it's a very good product although the user interface is not very intuitive and could be improved. Because of its sophistication, it's not so easy to manage and you have to learn to use it well. The solution can't really be simplified because then it would not be so customizable. You have to know what you're doing. If you don't know about filtering, you won't be able to use it well. I also think that the URL filter model and the web application filter model should be more tightly coupled but it's a lot of effort to get them to work together, not an easy problem. It's two different models - URL filtering and web application filtering.

I've been using this solution for nine years.
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Fortinet, Cisco and others in Secure Web Gateways (SWG). Updated: June 2022.
    608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Scalability is no problem. It is cluster able so I can use many devices. We have small companies in Hungary, usually some 1000 users, but we have one simple appliance. It can deal with many users. I assume even 50,000 users would not be a problem for this product.

I've used technical support rarely but when we've had an issue they respond relatively quickly and they know what to do. I like them.

I have seen other products like Websense, which is Forcepoint now, and McAfee Web Gateway which is better than Websense, I think. The features are generally the same, but McAfee is easier to manage and maintain, easier to overview. It also has better debugging capabilities and better logging.

The initial setup is very, very straightforward. I think it's one of the best.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution and would rate it a 10 out of 10.

Milos Tolpa - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Engineer at FormatPC
    Reseller
    Secure, stable, and well integrated
    • "It's a great product with solid features."
    • "The documentation could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for controlling web content that the users are accessing. It's very good in case situations where you have the use of a VPN connection.

You can control your employees when they are in the office and out of the office, without using a VPN in the same fashion.

The on-premise solution will control them when they are on the corporate network, and when they're off the corporate network, the cloud's gateway will control them. They have the same policies.

What is most valuable?

It's a great product with solid features.

It's a security appliance and it is quite secure.

They are quite well integrated.

What needs improvement?

The documentation could be improved. The documentation could be more detailed with more examples of usage.

We have been selling McAfee Web Gateway for four years.

Deployment can be on-premises or on the cloud.

It is a very stable solution.

I don't have any issues with the scalability. You have to do the sizing before they implement it afterward.

You have other solutions that have to increase the volume of usage.

We have several large clients that are using it.

We are satisfied with technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is easy to install.

If the client has a lot of demands and depending on their structure or the client's requests, it can be complex to configure.  In general, it is straightforward and easy to configure.

Some of our clients have a perpetual license and pay additional support yearly.

We don't have any customers that are using subscriptions yet.

I wouldn't say that it is an expensive solution but it's not cheap. We pay for what it's worth.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate McAfee Web Gateway a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    June 2022
    608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Nadeem Syed - PeerSpot reviewer
    CEO at Haniya Technologies
    Reseller
    Strong URL spam filtering features

What is our primary use case?

We have 2 customers using McAfee Web Gateway. It is very useful as a complement to endpoint security. It is used to monitor incoming and outgoing traffic, as well as production.

What is most valuable?

McAfee has a very strong URL spam filtering feature.

What needs improvement?

McAfee Web Gateway has two kinds of solutions, one is for on-premises and the other is virtual. Their virtual solution is not as strong as their on-premises solution.

I am a reseller and partner of McAfee. I have been using McAfee Web Gateway for about 5 or 6 years.

It is a very stable solution.

McAfee offers good support.

The initial setup is not straightforward. You must know technology and networking. It would also be helpful if you have some expertise with McAfee products. If you have one person who is certified on McAfee products you can do the setup yourself.

It took approximately 3 days to deploy and implement 2 boxes on-premises. It then takes 5 to 10 days to fine-tune it. In total it takes about two weeks to set up.

Compared to other solutions and their prices, it is a bit on the costly side. However, it is not out of reach. Our customers pay a yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

Although it is costly, I would recommend this solution to anyone. I would rate it a 9 out of 10.

David Ferreira - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Security Engineer at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
    Easy to manage and configure, and useful for web filtering
    • "The stability is the most valuable feature. We haven't had any issues with the product."
    • "They could be integrated with CASB. I think normally McAfee has this solution in the cloud, but for us the best is on-premise."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for web filtering.

I integrate and manage the solution. It's deployed on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to configure. It's not hard to manage day to day.

What needs improvement?

They could be integrated with CASB. I think normally McAfee has this solution in the cloud, but for us the best is on-premise.

Perhaps in this year's configuration, something that could be added is the SSL inspection.

I have been working with this solution for eight years.

The scalability is fine. We work with Fortinet too and Fortinet doesn't work like McAfee. McAfee does more than Fortinet.

Technical support is really great. I would rate them 4 out of 5.

Setup is a little bit complex but I think the environment is complex. We needed help from McAfee and another integrator.

I would rate the complexity of setup 4 out of 5.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

My advice is to discuss your goals before you install the solution because you can do a lot with McAfee Web Gateway.

Download our free Secure Web Gateways (SWG) Report and find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Fortinet, Cisco, and more!
    Updated: June 2022