ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus is the #5 ranked solution in top IT Service Management (ITSM) tools and #6 ranked solution in top Help Desk Software. PeerSpot users give ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus is most commonly compared to ServiceNow: ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus vs ServiceNow. ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 55% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 18% of all views.
ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Buyer's Guide

Download the ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus?

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus (MSP) is a comprehensive help desk tool that has built-in asset and project management. MSP can be deployed in the cloud or on premises. The solution enables its users to track configuration changes, map relationships, and view graphical displays of data for more informed decision making.

The two main focus points of MSP are IT request tracking and asset management. MSP’s integrated centralized management console enables technicians and system administrators to efficiently resolve complex issues and keep track of their organization’s needs and ensure constant availability.

With MSP's automation of multiple service desk processes, you can easily save time by automating repetitive and simple tasks such as task assignment, notifications, and categorizations. The automation of multiple processes helps reduce errors and lower costs while ensuring a fast turnaround of ticket handling processes.

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Features and Benefits

MSP has a wide variety of features to help you optimize your help desk management:

• Dynamically update workflows: Create visual change workflows on a drag-and-drop canvas and customize these workflows on demand according to your organization’s needs.
  • Implement your workflow’s actions: Define actions such as notifications, switches, and automatic updates and approvals throughout the lifecycle of your workflow.
  • Flexible role administration: Provide custom viewing, editing, and approval access levels to various stakeholders and users.
  • Perform seamless integrations: Integrate with popular third-party products and access them from your IT help desk console.
  • Rapid troubleshooting: Improve your customer service by communicating with users by launching remote sessions directly from their tickets to quickly resolve their issues.

• Control end-user workstations: Trigger software installation and removal on remote  workstations from within the management console.
  • Automatic anomaly notification: Resolve issues before they affect your enterprise. Automatically receive notification when a performance anomaly is detected in your servers or applications.
  • Auto-assign tickets: The technician auto-assign tool, which can be set up using a load balancing algorithm, eliminates the need to assign tickets to technicians manually. This helps ensure that tickets are distributed to technicians fairly and on time.
  • Automatic notifications and reports: Set up a notification system to guarantee that the necessary notifications reach stakeholders on time, and that customers are kept updated regarding the status of their tickets. In addition, schedule reports to be sent to users periodically.
  • Implement your custom code: Program flexible automation enhancements with your own custom scripts and run them directly from the main dashboard.
  • Customize templates: Create custom and user-friendly templates using the solution’s simple drag-and-drop canvas.

Reviews from Real Users

MSP stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its comprehensive workflow management toolset and the flexibility it offers its users.

Mykola S., head of global IT delivery at Acino Pharma AG, writes, “CMDB as a baseline, incident management, service request management, and license management are valuable features. It offers really interesting features for complete use in an enterprise. You have one platform, and you could set up different service functions for HR, engineering, or another team in the same platform.

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Customers

Tranter IT Infrastructure Services Limited, Sterlite Technologies, averda, Radiology Associates

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Video

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus pricing:
  • "ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus is much cheaper than many of its competitors. We pay about nine dollars per agent and one dollar per device. There are no hidden costs."
  • "The licensing is around $10,000 per year."
  • "For 90 service agents and our need for a cloud solution with incident management and service request management, it annually costs around 12,000. If you need additional development or deployment support from the vendor, there might be an additional cost."
  • "As compared to a lot of systems out there, it is more affordable."
  • "Cost-wise, we're quite happy."
  • ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Reviews

Anil  Rao - PeerSpot reviewer
    Vice President Delivery & Operations at Rezilyens
    Reseller
    Easier to configure than the competitors and much cheaper
    • "The ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus SaaS model helped us because it was easy on our pockets but also easy to use, configure, and manage."
    • "There is room for improvement in the automation. ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus should take note of repeated incidents and automatically offer solutions to them."

What is our primary use case?

We have two use cases for this solution. Some of them are out of the box, while the other is based on the clients' or our requirements. Those are the use cases, for example, DDoS attacks we build.

What is most valuable?

What I find the most valuable about ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus is the dashboard. You can build your own dashboard and the reporting is compatible with Power BI. So we built a lot of your interface data and reports via Power BI.

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus is also very easy to use. The features are okay and we never had any problems.

With ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus, for example, the configuration is easier compared to other products like it. I use SolarWinds and also ServiceNow, but I found ManageEngine configuration easier.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement in automation. ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus should take note of repeated incidents and automatically offer solutions to them. We have had certain incidents come up as many as ten times.

I would like to see a few more enhanced reporting features. Right now, we do not have an integration with other reporting tools. I would also like to see a SIEM, PAM, or team tool.

I have been using ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus for about five years.

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus is quite stable. We have not had any issues; we mostly use the task model. We already have more than 16 customers on the SaaS model. We are managing four on-prem. These are all government clients in different countries like Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, and Malawi.

Our entire SOC and NOC is using ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus. That's 50 agent licenses; more than 25,000 devices and 50 agents.

We have had to use ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus's tech support once or twice. A client of ours had all of their systems on a product called ConnectWise; they had their proprietary hardware, like their firewalls, switches, access points, and routers. So we needed some help with configuring.

Neutral

Yes, previously we were using ServiceNow, but it was very expensive and we could not use it for our assembly clients because they could not afford it.

We also found that ServiceNow was not the optimal solution for assembly clients with 300 to 500 devices.

The ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus SaaS model helped us because it was easy on our pockets but also easy to use, configure, and manage. Currently, we are looking into moving our bigger clients to ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus.

The initial setup was very easy. Even the dashboard was easy to setup.

We deployed ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus in-house.

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus is definitely worth it. We have seen a return on our investment.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to somebody looking to implement this solution is to first figure out how large your organization is and whether you can dedicate a team to it or if you will need to outsource the deployment. If the latter is the case, you need to look into the cost of that. The best case scenario is dedicating an in-house team to the deployment because the training that ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus provides is very good. This means you will save money.

Integrating with other products is simple. We recently integrated with Azure Sentinel and were able to quickly collect logs connected to use cases and analyze them. ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus offers lots of connectors, which means you do not have to build them. Also, the configuration is not very difficult. For example, if you are running it in your environment, it will automatically discover all your systems and you can pick and choose which ones you want to manage and drop the rest. Then, you can start emulating and putting up SLAs, configuring them, and consequently using them.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: customer/partner/reseller
    Coordinador de Servicios Tecnológicos at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
    User-friendly interface with workflow builder, configuration management, and knowledge base functions
    • "Easy to setup with a user-friendly interface that works well on cloud. It has a lot of important features: workflow builder, configuration management database, and recorded solutions."
    • "The self-service feature for end users and the knowledge base need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for incident management mostly, though we also try to use it for problem management, but most of the time we use it for managing and resolving incidents.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me is the ability to make workflows. We haven't experienced that whole functionality, because I'm based in Lima, Peru, while our headquarters is in Colombia, where the administration of this solution is handled. We have not been customizing this tool here in Lima, but the workflow is very important. Other features that are also important include configuration management (configuration management database) and the knowledge base (recorded solutions function).

I like this solution's interface because it's user-friendly and works well on the cloud.

This solution is good because it's on the cloud, so customers are told ahead of time if there's scheduled maintenance. We receive emails prior to the maintenance period.

What needs improvement?

The additional feature I'd like to see in the next release is related to self-service on the user side. I have this new environment of users at home and making them independent would be a good point to enforce. Improving the knowledge base also goes along with that.

I've been using it for approximately one year.

I find this solution stable.

The scalability of this solution is good.

I haven't had the chance to contact technical support. Maybe the person in our Colombia headquarters who worked with the reseller was able to contact support, but I'm not sure if the support was from the reseller or from the ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus support team.

The setup was easy. It's common to have some mistakes for all tools. Loading your users and loading your configuration items were not difficult.

This was managed by our Colombia headquarters, but I can tell by the communication we received that deployment was through a third party: the reseller.

What other advice do I have?

We deployed this solution on the cloud.

For pricing, I'm not on the negotiation team. We only received the product. Our headquarters in Colombia bought all the licenses. I can't tell you whether it's cheap, or whether it's expensive, or the cost-benefit. I have no information about that.

I can't tell you an area or room for improvement, though it's a good question because we only use one or two in asset management and operations management. We haven't tried it in other departments or areas. For example, I don't know if it works well for managing and monitoring service-level agreements. I can't tell you exactly based on my experience with this solution.

Deployment of this solution took no longer than two days.

The number of people using this solution, for our technical operators it's a group of 10, while the users in our database are more than 150. I was only thinking about the number of users in my country, here in Peru, but the total number of users is approximately 400 users, because we use it in Chile and Colombia, aside from Peru. In all of the three countries, all of our users use the same solution. In terms of increasing the usage, maybe in some other models, but in-licenses, I'm sure because we are covering all the users in the three countries.

My advice to people thinking of implementing this product: It's a good product. We found good experiences and reviews about it on the internet, in terms of how easy it is to use and its quality. I will tell people that it's a good product to try. I have also tried other tools, but this product makes a difference. It's a good one. It's the best one for me.

My rating for this solution is a nine out of ten.

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus
    November 2022
    656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Isaac Al Wahaibi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Application Support Specialist at Oman Data Park
    Difficult to deploy, hard to configure on the go, and poor technical support
    • "The most valuable feature is the ticketing system which is working well."
    • "The solution has all the features, but it is not clear. The UI and UX need to be improved because it is not easy to configure on the go."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to help us manage our support for the companies we start.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has helped the company in terms of managing our support for the companies we start. It is multi-tenant. We can provide our customers with insights into their data. The customer can log in, they can post a ticket there, and can get the report.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ticketing system which is working well.

What needs improvement?

Everything with this solution has room for improvement. The service provider version is MS and it is not getting frequent updates. When we tried to upgrade a couple of weeks ago, it ruined the database and we had to restore it. We lost a couple of tickets that were raised at that time.

The solution is not good in terms of change management. The support is not 24-7 so you have to wait for the support person to start their shift. We are not getting good support from the ManageEngine team so the technical support can be improved. The reporting is not that good. The high-level graphs which we need to grab for our management, are not clear at all. For example, when I extract the weekly reports for management for the P1, P2, and P3 tickets they are all a mess. The graphs are not clear and can be improved. The SLA timer also doesn't work well. We have set our working hours to be from this day to this day but the timer doesn't stop for some reason. We have raised a couple of tickets with ManageEngine and we didn't receive support.

I have been using the solution for four years.

The solution is stable.

The solution can be scaled.

The support is not 24-7 so you have to wait for the support person to start their shift. We are not getting good support from the ManageEngine team so the technical support can be improved.

Neutral

The initial setup took over a month for the vendor in Oman. We hired someone to implement it for us because it was not straightforward.

The implementation was completed through a vendor.

I do not see a return on investment with this solution.

The licensing is around $10,000 per year.

What other advice do I have?

I give the solution a three out of ten.

We have 53 technicians who work on the tickets on a daily basis and over 500 customers who raise tickets for us to serve them.

We are not performing maintenance on this solution. We are deciding to cancel this product and move to Jira because Jira is a much better solution. No one in our organization has maintained the solution since the initial setup.

I do not recommend ManageEngine Servicedesk Plus. I would recommend Jira Service Management which is much better.

We are not using the cloud-based version of the solution, but the service provider version. It is an old version, laggy, and the reporting is not good in the ManageEngine ServiceDesk.

Mykola Shved - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Global IT Delivery at Acino Pharma AG
    Offers a complete set of features and allows us to set up different service functions in the same platform
    • "CMDB as a baseline, incident management, service request management, and license management are valuable features. It offers really interesting features for complete use in an enterprise. You have one platform, and you could set up different service functions for HR, engineering, or another team in the same platform."
    • "Its reporting could be improved. The current list of predefined reports seems to be fine for most of the customers, but there should be some tools to allow us to create highly customized reports for measuring different KPIs. We should also be able to connect some kind of BI to it. We haven't yet implemented it, and we are currently evaluating it. We are looking for advanced integration options where we could integrate it with our SCCM and Azure environments as well as with other Office solutions. For direct communication with customers, we are looking for a chatbot or a similar feature."

What is our primary use case?

I have only used its demo version for evaluation. We haven't yet implemented it. I have been playing with ServiceDesk Plus for incident management, service request management, and some change request workflows. There is also a CMDB, which seems to be quite good.

What is most valuable?

CMDB as a baseline, incident management, service request management, and license management are valuable features. It offers really interesting features for complete use in an enterprise. You have one platform, and you could set up different service functions for HR, engineering, or another team in the same platform.

What needs improvement?

Its reporting could be improved. The current list of predefined reports seems to be fine for most of the customers, but there should be some tools to allow us to create highly customized reports for measuring different KPIs. We should also be able to connect some kind of BI to it.

We haven't yet implemented it, and we are currently evaluating it. We are looking for advanced integration options where we could integrate it with our SCCM and Azure environments as well as with other Office solutions. For direct communication with customers, we are looking for a chatbot or a similar feature.

We haven't checked its stability under a heavy load.

Currently, around ten users are evaluating it. It should meet the needs of around 2,500 users. From my point of view, it seems suitable for our needs.

We had lots of discussions via email and the internal support chat, and everything was fine.

We are currently using OTRS. We are looking for something similar to ServiceNow but much cheaper. I have almost 15 years of experience working with ServiceNow, which is a great solution, but it is too expensive for companies with less than 5,000 employees. I have also worked with HP Service Desk almost 20 years ago.

Being a cloud solution, it is straightforward. There are no issues. In terms of deployment, it is similar to other cloud solutions. The workload begins when you try to customize a CMDB, but this is not because of the solution. It is because of internal processes.

For 90 service agents and our need for a cloud solution with incident management and service request management, it annually costs around 12,000. If you need additional development or deployment support from the vendor, there might be an additional cost.

We are currently evaluating this solution. ServiceDesk Plus is one of the candidates. We are also evaluating Jira Service Desk and BMC. It seems that all these three vendors will be able to fulfill our requirements, and we will choose ServiceDesk Plus.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus an eight out of ten.

Other
    Applications Specialist II at a government with 501-1,000 employees
    Saves time by easily deploying software to multiple endpoints, but lags in remote control option.
    • "The software deployment we find quite valuable - being able to deploy software to multiple endpoints without having to worry about getting in touch with the end users."
    • "There are some performance issues. The solution we used before this ran through a centralized server for remote control and it was much more responsive than this one is. There is a bit of a lag with the remote control option."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for asset management, system tickets, trouble tickets, project management, software deployment, and remote control.

How has it helped my organization?

It has saved us downtime for project upgrades and saved time for the IT team not having to run around and manually install software.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There are some performance issues. The solution we used before this ran through a centralized server for remote control and it was much more responsive than this one is. There is a bit of a lag with the remote control option.

There are occasionally some bugs with the ticket system. It probably happens about two or three times a day where I'm trying to enter a work log and it will not save it. Normally when you open it, it defaults to your name. But if it doesn't do that, then you have to refresh the screen. So I have to make sure that I copy all the notes that I logged, refresh the screen, then re-enter it all over again.

We have been using ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus for about five years.

From an IT perspective, we have probably close to 50 people using it - regular help desk users.

It does have ongoing maintenance. Our database administrator is responsible for maintaining it.

It is being used on a daily basis, 24/7, you can't really increase the usage.

I have not used it but from what I understand, their technical support is not that great.

The previous solution we used was outrageously expensive from what I understand.

The company was Computer Associates. I think it was just called ServiceDesk.

I wasn't involved with any of that. I think there are probably four to five people involved. And my guess is it probably took a few months. Gathering all the details, getting servers built, entering in assets.

I assume they have too have an ROI. Being able to track assets a lot better than what they used to. They've probably been able to save quite a bit. Especially saving man power on software deployments and patches and that type of thing.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus probably about a seven.

Laone Raboloko - PeerSpot reviewer
    Systems Analyst at Bismarck
    Affordable, easy to use, and provides a wide array of modules within one application.
    • "Its interface is most valuable. It is easy to use, and our customers find it amazing because of that. Nowadays, it is not only IT technicians who deal with tickets. People from HR and finance also handle tickets, and not all of them are tech-savvy, so it is nice for them to have an interface that they can easily relate to. They appreciate that."
    • "As a partner, their technical support can respond better to the tickets. We provide deployment services and also support products as a partner. We get a lot of tickets from clients complaining about certain issues related to the system, but when we send or escalate an issue to the agent, sometimes, there is a delay. That's something that they could improve on. Because we are a local partner, we are able to copy to some employees who can try to push a ticket to close, but it would be best if they can respond a bit quicker."

What is most valuable?

Its interface is most valuable. It is easy to use, and our customers find it amazing because of that. Nowadays, it is not only IT technicians who deal with tickets. People from HR and finance also handle tickets, and not all of them are tech-savvy, so it is nice for them to have an interface that they can easily relate to. They appreciate that.

It has a lot of modules, such as change management, project management, and all these are combined into one portal. So, we can manage projects from the same system, and we can do also change management, which is ITIL aligned.

Its pricing model makes it more affordable as compared to a lot of systems out there. So, it is affordable, and it also has the best service.

What needs improvement?

As a partner, their technical support can respond better to the tickets. We provide deployment services and also support products as a partner. We get a lot of tickets from clients complaining about certain issues related to the system, but when we send or escalate an issue to the agent, sometimes, there is a delay. That's something that they could improve on. Because we are a local partner, we are able to copy to some employees who can try to push a ticket to close, but it would be best if they can respond a bit quicker.

I have been using this solution for around six years. I have been using it since 2015.

Based on my experience, it is mostly available. So far, we haven't found any bugs in the system. ManageEngine is always giving updates and upgrades for any bugs or issues.

We have a tool for monitoring the 24/7 availability of the product or site. Most of the outages that take place in a month are not because of the system itself. They happen because the people who do the upgrade in the back office didn't notify us in time. This unpreparedness affects the availability of the system.

It is straightforward. There is detailed documentation that you can refer to while setting it up. You need to prepare the environment as per the specifications in the documentation. If you prepare your environment and meet the prerequisites, you can easily install it.

As compared to a lot of systems out there, it is more affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus a nine out of 10. It is perfect, but there is always room for improvement.

Manager Advisory at iOCO
    Valuable product for AIOps and SOC
    • "There's no problem with the software."
    • "There's no native integrations between the systems."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use of the solution is not hands-on. I'm the architect. I was involved with getting the architecture going, getting the systems up and running. I've also got insights into the configuration. I'm not working with it on a day-to-day basis.

What is most valuable?

The product has been valuable and is working for us, looking from the angle of dealing with vendors, the AIOps space, as well as the SOC side of things.

Cost-wise, we're quite happy.

What needs improvement?

We engage with customers or vendors from Europe looking at AIOps products as well as SOC, and one downside to the solution is there are no native integrations between the systems. We're not even aware of any. This is a bit of a concern for us.

The problem I'm dealing with is now we have to employ people to do integration coding for us. We would love to have native integration between systems. ScienceLogic, Splunk, and Sumo Logic are three vendors we're considering currently, in a POC, for going forward with the AIOps side of things.

From the SIEM perspective, from the SOC, we're dealing with LogPoint; for SOAR purposes we're using inbound SOAR. None of these systems can natively integrate into ManageEngine. However, all of these systems can integrate into ServiceNow. If we consider the complications in our world, for integration purposes, and the amount of work that needs to be done for all these systems to talk to one another, that's definitely something. If ManageEngine can say, "we're going to help you with this," then we will most likely stick with the product.

ServiceNow can integrate, and there's a silent push towards ServiceNow, which I don't like because I'm quite keen on sticking with ME. ManageEngine should improve to help us to integrate the systems.

Then there's a customization level that needs to be done from our end, and it's quite a big concern. We're basically putting together all systems and software packages.

I have been using the solution since we implemented it about a year and a half ago. We're still onboarding the rest of our clients. From an MSP perspective, we're managing multiple clients.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution a nine out of ten. There's no problem with the software. I'm happy with what we can do with the system. I think the biggest concern for my industry is really a case of integrations between outside parties.

IT Service Management Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Easy to customize to business needs, but lacks features related to multi-tenancy and access restriction
    • "It's very easy to customize the tool to your business needs."
    • "Currently, I cannot configure more than one point of contact. I have the MSP version, and we have around 80 or 90 customers. I don't see the features where I can configure multiple contact points for a customer so that they're notified when we are having an outreach or when we want to send them a planned maintenance notification. Other things that are lacking are mapping SLAs with vendors and mapping back on the tickets."

What is our primary use case?

It's our ticketing tool.

What is most valuable?

It's very easy to customize the tool to your business needs.

What needs improvement?

There are many things. If you are a starter or small or medium-sized business, this tool is very good, but there are a few things that everybody would look forward to such as multi-tenancy and restricting some access but enabling it for a few people. Currently, I cannot configure more than one point of contact. I have the MSP version, and we have around 80 or 90 customers. I don't see the features where I can configure multiple contact points for a customer so that they're notified when we are having an outreach or when we want to send them a planned maintenance notification. Other things that are lacking are mapping SLAs with vendors and mapping back on the tickets.

In their CMDB or asset module, they don't have an option to mandate unique serial numbers. They don't have a check for unique serial numbers. So, right now, users can enter duplicated information, and I want to prevent this.

We have been using it in our organization for the last two years.

It isn't very stable. Off and on, it has bugs, and that's why they have a lot of releases coming up. You need to keep patching it. I wouldn't say that it's very stable. I would rate it a three out of five in terms of stability.

If I need to scale up, I need to look at other products. This tool is good for small and medium-sized organizations. If I'm growing the customer bases that I have and if I want to link them to the contracts that we have with other service providers to measure SLAs and other things, this is not the tool for it.

We have rolled it out to about 300 people in our organization. About 100 people use it on a daily basis.

Their support is good.

Positive

It's straightforward. I would rate it a four out of five in terms of ease of setup.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I would rate it a six out of ten.

Download our free ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022