Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

K2 OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

K2 is #12 ranked solution in BPM Software. PeerSpot users give K2 an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. K2 is most commonly compared to Nintex Workflow: K2 vs Nintex Workflow. K2 is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Business Process Management (BPM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is K2?

K2's process automation platform helps your company grow and take automation to a new level. Tackle any business problem—large or small—and create an app to solve it, without writing lines of code.

K2 was previously known as K2 blackpearl, K2 Five.

K2 Customers

SEA Corp, Omnicom Group, Verizon, STIHL

K2 Video

Archived K2 Reviews (more than two years old)

Program Manager - Intelligent Automation at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
Doesn't require customized coding but lacks flexibility and can feel cumbersome
  • "Out of box connectivity with UiPath."
  • "Heavy, cumbersome and inflexible."

What is our primary use case?

We have predominantly been using the solution as the front end for automation solutions. I'm a program manager. We don't have a direct link to K2, but we work closely with them and carry out a lot of maintenance and other work through them. So it's quite a deep-rooted relationship.

What is most valuable?

The biggest selling point for us was that the solution had out of box connectivity with UiPath and we didn't have to write any custom code to be able to invoke UiPath bots and automation solutions. That worked well for us in the past but when you talk about other specific functionalities, like the applications or authentication on native operating systems for mobiles and those kinds of things, K2 is lacking big time. The solution doesn't really have a good set up and I think as more and more businesses want app rather than desktop systems or web systems, K2 is not necessarily the best solution going forward.

What needs improvement?

The solution is heavy and cumbersome and it has a very stringent way of doing things. It's not difficult but at the same time it's not flexible enough. If you don't do it properly, you can't render it on mobile properly and it just runs into a lot of issues. I think what we need is a more flexible platform that can actually give us that option, a second option or a main option, to move away from K2. We run into issues at times and it's mainly around the way we design applications and mainly around how we want to use applications. It restricts us in a very specific way to be able to fully utilize the capability. I think K2 is a bit far from being a perfect mobile development platform. We'd like to look at Microsoft as an option.

I've been using this solution for three years.

Business Process Management (BPM)
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about K2, Nintex, IBM and others in Business Process Management (BPM). Updated: September 2022.
632,539 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Scalability is a kind of dependent thing. Essentially, it would require infrastructure and IT development to be able to do anything with the infra scalability or the platform scalability. We haven't tried it. We do know that when we want to sync up different environments, it's not that straightforward. I mean it's not complex, but it has a lot of activities. It's not a straight sync up between the two servers. You have to do a lot of tasks including download packages. It's a bit annoying because it takes up too much time from the ops team to be able to sync the two environments, especially when you're uploading packages that at times are not compatible. Again, it could be dependent on the way we've set it up on-prem. I don't necessarily know if that's a K2 issue or if it's an infra issue on our end, but assume it's likely both.

I haven't dealt with technical support because our ops team does that if they ever have to.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a massive fan of K2 even though it's given me a bit of trouble in the past. Essentially, I think there are good features in there as well. It really comes down to your personal requirements, I believe. It's supposed to be a kind of designer-based application, work flow creation application or platform but I personally think that it takes a lot more technical ability to be able to design applications on K2. It requires more than somebody off the street, you need someone who can actually do a bit of design work and be able to spin up a really good application. It's not marketed properly, it's marketed as a designable application platform. But it's not necessarily, it requires a bit of programming knowledge.

The other thing I guess would be whether you want to pay for the licensing cost. There is a price for the K2 environment, does that suit you and your organization? That's something which you need to consider. Finally, K2 is also really hard to find, to be honest, and it comes at a premium so there's that maintenance cost as well or even development costs, which may be a lot higher than any other application that you may use.

It's given us applications that are stable once you get it right. We haven't had many issues in terms of applications falling over or not responding, things like that. It can be a bit slow if it's database-intensive applications. Again, that could be a mixture of both infrastructure and also K2 application.

I would rate this solution a six out of 10.

Technology Unit Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good performance, easy to use, and offers great integration capabilities
  • "The solution offers very good integration capabilities. We've never had issues integrating it without solutions."
  • "The licensing needs to be improved. Right now, we find it's getting more expensive to use the product."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for government and public e-services. We always deal with K2 in these areas. We use the solution to mostly deal with workflows.

What is most valuable?

The design and the vision the solution allows for is great.

It's gotten better with time. version 4.6, for example, wasn't the best but 5.4 and 5.6 continue to be a bit fancier and offer up a bit more. The improvements are great.

The enhancements, overall, are great. It's so easy to use compared to the competition. Its enhanced usability makes it the best of the lot.

We are able to use K2 to manage as our environment and have everything deployed to the servers.

The performance of the product is excellent.

What needs improvement?

Even though the performance is better than the competition, it needs to be enhanced and improved upon. They could always refine this a bit more.

The K2 platform could be enhanced.

We have approximately six years of experience working with this solution. It's probably been a bit more than that, actually.

You can definitely scale the solution. K2 has a feature that allows it to go with other solutions quite well. It's the best option for companies that need a solution that can scale due to the fact that it can integrate with many systems.

We've dealt with customer service in the past and they were satisfactory. They are very good and very easy to work with. We haven't had any trouble in that regard.

Largely, the initial setup is straightforward. It's not too complex.

The deployment of the product takes two or three days. In terms of the workflow, it can be implemented in about one week. Overall, you can go live within two or three weeks.

The licensing is quite extensive. I cannot speak to whether it is cheaper or more expensive, however, the licensing model needs to be reimagined and revised. Overall, I've found that they've become more expensive over time.

What other advice do I have?

We have a partnership with K2.

All in all, I'd recommend the product to other organizations.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If the pricing was better, I'd probably rate it higher, however, their licensing model has changed and things are more expensive than they used to be.

Business Process Management (BPM)
September 2022
632,539 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Chief Information Officer at a construction company with 51-200 employees
Very simple to maintain and develop with customization an easy process
  • "Easily maintained and customization is quite simple."
  • "Difficult to include external partners with the solution deployed on-premise."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case of the solution is to help the sales people in the field, enable them to have all the information from the backend and to more easily put together a proposal for management regarding new tenants of shopping centers. There is a process that flows to the works department, the legal department, the asset manager, and the project manager. They are able to make suggestions, comment, discuss numbers, and make some declarations. It provides good feedback to the management who then need to make a decision. We provide this service for both internal and external clients. We're a customer of K2blackpearl and I'm the company chief information officer.

What is most valuable?

The value of this solution is that it's easy to maintain, and to further develop. It's quite low code, so there is not the need of really specialized people and customization is quite simple.

What needs improvement?

I think there can be improvements in the product but that may be linked to the decisions that we have taken to put it on-premise, because now we're making big changes and the scope of the project has changed so that we now want external partners to have access to the system. Because we're on-premise, it's more complicated to provide access to their own network. Next time I would go for the cloud.

I've been using this solution for about three years now.

Stability is good, no issue there.

Scalability is good. We implemented it in Belgium and then in France and we're now expanding the scope further.

We haven't needed to contact technical support as we work directly with the integrator.

I believe the initial deployment took about three months. We used an integrator to help with that and it was successful. They provided some training for us so we'd be able to figure out how to do things ourselves. It was great.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest to anyone wanting to deploy this solution to find a good integrator that understands the business first, not only from the technical side. Don't hesitate to take the journey. I would also suggest starting with a small solution and then expand it. Like everything, do a minimum viable product and then extend it a bit more slowly and grow into it.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

OKTAY BOLAT - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Has useful tools, it's very easy to use events
  • "It is very easy to use events. K2 has useful tools."
  • "It is very flexible because you can design your own main forms, but if there were some templates according to your market, it would be more useful for a new customer. That would make K2 more user friendly and easier to use."

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to use events. K2 has useful tools.

What needs improvement?

It didn't calculate the designs I needed. If a customer doesn't know what to do with the BPM tool, then they won't know how to start using the tool. It is very flexible because you can design your own main forms, but if there were some templates according to your market, it would be more useful for a new customer. That would make K2 more user-friendly and easier to use.

Perhaps they may add some different holdings, and if you carry a file which uses either shape, you can handle the document. That's not our preferred method to manage software. Perhaps they could add a simple archiving function in the software. That would be very useful.

I've been using this solution for five or six years.

We've had some problems but they solve them in a very timely manner, so even if it has a problem, they fix it. Problems are rare, but sometimes it stops and you have to check it. We didn't have too many problems but sometimes it stopped and didn't go forward.

It is very easy to add users.

We have implemented K2 for two companies, but there are four or five companies using K2. There is a common problem right now in Turkey, so it is not easy to manage software installation.

Their technical support team is very fast. They make a remote connection and help us out.

We actually don't need this solution in our own company. We have a demo platform that we implement because we are developing software, so we don't need this solution. We use alternative management stuff.

The initial setup is very easy, it doesn't take too much effort to install if you know what to do. Setup time depends on what you do. For example, you can get up and running and make the system worthwhile within one week or it could last two or three months. This is a complicated question.

What other advice do I have?

It is very flexible but that also means that it has too many tools. It is hard to stop. You can do whatever you want but this takes practice to understand how to use this solution best.

If you need to integrate into anything, K2 is very useful. I advise you to be organized from the outset, before starting the project. This is very important.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. We have examined too many workflows. Some are better, but this one is good enough.

Lead Technical Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to create workflows but the SmartForms need to be simplified
  • "I think that it adds value to any organization, mainly in terms of business applications where you need workflows."
  • "I would also like to see the BPM features from Pega implemented, that have to do with the implementation of AI, and the robotics."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is for automating workflows in business applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the workflows. We have started working with the SmartObjects and the SmartForms, as well.

What needs improvement?

The SmartForms need to be simplified so that the non-expert, business users can make use of them without coding. That will help a lot.

I would also like to see the BPM features from Pega implemented, that have to do with the implementation of AI and the robotics.

The AI should be able to learn inside the platform so that it adds intelligence to the tool itself. That way, it can handle the things that are being taken care of by external entities. It will first learn how to handle new events, and then handle them by itself in the future.

Six years.

I would rate the stability four and a half out of five. Overall it is good, but sometimes it fails.

This is a very easy solution to scale out.

We have approximately sixty thousand users for this solution. Perhaps one hundred of them support the applications and integration, but the majority of them are end-users.

Technical support for this solution is good. We have a contract with them and the support is good. They always help.

I have used Pega and I feel that it offers more than the K2 solution, in terms of the latest technology. For example, I like their implementation of the AI and the robotics inside of their system.

We are part of a technical team and we have the expertise, so the initial setup was not complex for us.

We had a consultant from K2 assist us with the setup.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution and it is easy to implement. I think that it adds value to any organization, mainly in terms of business applications where you need workflows. It is easy to use, and workflow design can be done by business users. Overall, it is a good product to have in an organization.

I would rate this solution seven out of ten.

Pratya Silasuwan - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Application Specialist at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
Facilitates workflow supporting more complex business processes, logic and data flow

What is most valuable?

1. SmartObject makes the center of data management, where developer and/or someone can call to it with only one place. SmartObject will return data from other system (such as MS-SQL, Oracle, SharePoint, SAP, etc.) to solve requirements.

2. K2 connect for SAP, easy to make interface between SAP with K2 connect for SAP service designer. Developer can design interface without coding and transform it into SmartObjects.

3. Workflow, to support more complex business processes, logic and data flow without coding.

4. SmartForm, fast and easy to develop web form to connect to SmartObject and workflow. Where you can create web application and ready to release to users within an hour.

How has it helped my organization?

• Supports conditional approval by business logic very easily
  • Multiple approvals
  • Notice of approval by email

What needs improvement?

Performance. Some customers ask why K2 is slow? Upgrade to current version will get the better performance.

More than 7 years.

Easy to makes deployment package.

Found less in the current version.

Eight out of 10.

Eight out of 10.

K2 is my first and only one solution that I recommend.

Setup is easy in standalone. Distributed setup is complex and requires more network knowledge.

I’m working in the development field and do not know much about this.

No, my team was trying to map requirements to the K2 solution.

What other advice do I have?

K2 makes your work simple.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: K2 partner.
it_user868464 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user868464技术总监 at a tech vendor

hi,can you help me ?
I just joined K2 blackpearl developer, many do not understand, do you have related Demo can provide my reference? if you have a time ,can you gave me send email,my email 1033085514@qq.com

Senior BPM Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Scalability, good performance, the designer to create workflows are the most valuable features. Sometimes it is too difficult to manage the workflow instances.

What is most valuable?

Scalability, good performance, and the K2 designer to create workflows/screens are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

There are several products. One of them was a product to improve the claims management of an insurance company.

What needs improvement?

The Management console needs to improve because sometimes it is too difficult to manage the workflow instances.

I have used this solution for two years.

In previous versions, I found different issues in regards to the stability. Currently, with this version, it seems that those issues have been resolved. The same has been experienced in terms of the scalability.

Technical support is not so good, i.e., you should have a good contact inside the company, because the service desk is not that efficient.

The initial setup was absolutely complex. It is so difficult to configure the previous versions. But in the new version, the installation has improved and it was much better.

It has a good price for the licenses as compared to the other market solutions available.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good solution to implement simple workflows with little integration.

The integration could be better, but for simple workflows with simple integrations, it is a good product.

Download our free Business Process Management (BPM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about K2, Nintex, IBM, and more!
Updated: September 2022