Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

K2 OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

K2 is #12 ranked solution in BPM Software. PeerSpot users give K2 an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. K2 is most commonly compared to Nintex Workflow: K2 vs Nintex Workflow. K2 is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Business Process Management (BPM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is K2?

K2's process automation platform helps your company grow and take automation to a new level. Tackle any business problem—large or small—and create an app to solve it, without writing lines of code.

K2 was previously known as K2 blackpearl, K2 Five.

K2 Customers

SEA Corp, Omnicom Group, Verizon, STIHL

K2 Video

K2 Pricing Advice

What users are saying about K2 pricing:
  • "The initial investment in K2 is heavy. Currently, the expenditure is $28,000 for a year. After we go to the cloud, it is going to be per seat and probably cheaper. Currently, there are unlimited users."
  • "There is an initial fee when purchasing and a fee for maintenance afterward."
  • "For the initial hundred users, the cost is $21,000 per year, which I find too high."
  • K2 Reviews

Principal Consultant at pure method
    A low-code solution that saves a lot of time and resources and has the best workflow engine and SmartObjects technology
    • "The workflow engine of K2 is its main strength. Its workflow engine is probably one of the best, and that's the reason why Nintex bought K2. It can clearly handle any complex process or scenario. K2 is almost low-code. It is a no-code or low-code solution. You don't have to read a whole lot of code. It is pretty much GUI based. Their support is also excellent. The biggest advantage of K2 is SmartObjects, which allow you to separate the data from the application. It is a standalone application that allows you to build a data source from different places, which a lot of other applications also do. It is called SmartObjects technology, which is pretty powerful. If I have data from different applications, such as JD and ServiceNow, I can just create a SmartObject based on a data source and use it. I have some forms that have six, seven, or eight applications in a single form with data from different places."
    • "K2 is a workflow solution, and there is no RPA solution with K2. This is where K2 lacks a little bit. It is just a heavy workflow solution. It doesn't have a supplemental product like RPA. If you want to use RPA, you have to use Blue Prism, UIPath, or something else. If you use Nintex, it has an RPA solution. It is a form-based application, and they are doing everything electronically. The initial investment in K2 is heavy because it is a BPM software. It does not have a low cost because they charge you the same for one workflow or 100 workflows."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using K2 Five classic. We have several use cases. The main use case is the vendor request. We process all requests that come in from existing or new vendors through K2. Our legal department uses it for checklists and other things. The approval process, onboarding, and all other related things are also done through K2. It is used for onboarding, termination, suspension, access, and many other things. All these things are automated.

How has it helped my organization?

It is for process automation, and it saves a lot of time and resources. Some of the things used to take weeks, and now they can be done in days and hours. Previously, we needed a spreadsheet, and now everything is done through a form. Everything is automatic, and eventually, the returns are pretty good.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

K2 is a workflow solution, and there is no RPA solution with K2. This is where K2 lacks a little bit. It is just a heavy workflow solution. It doesn't have a supplemental product like RPA. If you want to use RPA, you have to use Blue Prism, UIPath, or something else. If you use Nintex, it has an RPA solution.

Business Process Management (BPM)
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about K2, Nintex, IBM and others in Business Process Management (BPM). Updated: September 2022.
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for seven years. I also used to work for K2.

It is used across the board. Almost everyone in the accounting department uses this solution. We also have a bunch of different legal departments, and they also use it. It is being used from the bottom to all the way up. When someone submits a request, it can go to the VP and all the way up. Because it is an approval process, it depends on how high it goes.

Their support is excellent.

The on-premises setup was fairly complex four years ago because we had to build the servers. You have to build test servers, staging and production environments, and all kinds of stuff. When you go for the cloud solution, you don't have to maintain any of those, which is why we are moving to the cloud solution. Our initial investment was quite a bit, and we're trying to move to the cloud solution.

The initial investment in K2 is heavy. Currently, the expenditure is $28,000 for a year. After we go to the cloud, it is going to be per seat and probably cheaper. Currently, there are unlimited users.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate K2 an eight out of ten as a BPM solution.

Automation Team Lead at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Stable and easy to use with good integration capabilities
    • "The integration capabilities have been very useful."
    • "The Workflow Designer needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution as a development platform.

What is most valuable?

The solution in general is very easy to use. It's very user-friendly, and it has satisfied the requirements I have.

It's a really good platform.

The integration capabilities have been very useful. It's very powerful and very advanced.

The stability of the product is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The Workflow Designer needs improvement. For example, when you design a workflow on K2, it shows the entire area between one action and another action. However, you should be able to see the structure for this action. It's not automatically structured.

It sould be automatically structured from the shared action to the following action. In K2, you should be able to organize it by yourself. Workflows should be very easy to organize exactly as you need them. It shouldn't be inflexible. The mapping processes need to be better.

You can't really change the look and feel. You should be able to customize the solution a bit more.

The document generation, the dynamic document generation, could be a great addition as a feature.

I've only been using the solution for six months. It hasn't been that long just yet, however, I am enjoying the product.

The stability is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The product doesn't seem to have many limitations. It can likely scale well.

There's no need for technical support as we order services done for us. As far as it's from K2 goes, there's a web solution on the platform and there are partners for the company. Up until this point, however, I haven't found the need to reach out. I haven't had problems that required assistance.

I worked with Nintex for a few years. Recently, after I ran a comparison between K2 and Nintex, I've been working for six months on the K2 platform. I've found it very useful, and very easy in comparison. However, I still use both. Nintex acquired K2 recently.

Compared to Nintex, Nintex is easier to set up. Unlike in K2, in Nintex, you can just build on top of SharePoint. If you want SharePoint, the environment is set up and can install directly in Nintex. In K2, you are configuring two environments.

I am unsure of the exact pricing. Nintex acquired K2 in 2020 and there may be a shift in the cost structure. I can't speak directly to that, however.

What other advice do I have?

We are a K2 customer and a Nintex partner, although, since the 2020 acquisition, they are the same company now.

I would recommend the solution, especially for companies that are working to go paperless.

I suggest that if they want to integrate between systems from a strategy department into another department, to really look at the integration layers that they have, as it's very advanced.

In general, I would rate this solution at a nine out of ten. We've been largely happy with the product.

Business Process Management (BPM)
    September 2022
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    System Manager at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    No code, stable, and has good support
    • "The most valuable features of this solution are that it's no code, it's very flexible, and it's easy to design."
    • "Currently, it's taking quite some time to deploy a package, it needs improvement"

What is our primary use case?

Our searches are automated for the approval process, and we have automated our dual management process with K2.

We have 41 processes automated within K2.

It was only a process automation tool for workflows and approval, but now since being bought out by Nintex, we will have many other products available to use. For example, the RPA part of Nintex can plug into K2 and be used together.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are that it's no code, it's very flexible, and it's easy to design.

What needs improvement?

Currently, it's taking quite some time to deploy a package, it needs improvement. If they can simplify the deployment then it would be helpful.

I would like to see a versioning tool included within K2 similar to Visual Studio to do your versioning of programs. It would be very useful and assist us a lot.

If they could also include an RPA as a tool, or integrate it with RPA products. It would be beneficial, as we wouldn't have to purchase anything else.

I have been using K2 for eight years.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution. It is one of the features I like most.

It's a scalable product. We have approximately 4,000 AD users for this solution in our organization.

We have had no problems with the technical support at all.

Previously, we used Lotus Notes for workflows and approvals.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

I have a development team of four people on safety.

There is an initial fee when purchasing and a fee for maintenance afterward.

It is not an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

We have plans to continue using this solution and I would definitely recommend it.

I would rate K2 an eight out of ten.

Jindrich Stumpf - PeerSpot reviewer
    ITS Pre-Sales Architect at Konica Minolta Business Solutions Czech spol. s.r.o.
    Good low-code solution but support for DevOp teams is weak

What is most valuable?

K2's best feature is that it can solve complex tasks, issues, and projects with little coding.

What needs improvement?

K2's support for DevOp team corporations is weak.

I've been using K2 for two and a half years.

K2 is very stable - there have been almost no problems in the time I've been using it.

The initial setup is straightforward because it can be deployed on a DB server, application server, and web server.

For the initial hundred users, the cost is $21,000 per year, which I find too high. There are soft thresholds for this initial license, like the number of forms and environments.

What other advice do I have?

I would give K2 a rating of seven out of ten.

Download our free Business Process Management (BPM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about K2, Nintex, IBM, and more!
    Updated: September 2022