IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Sterling B2B Integration Services OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Sterling B2B Integration Services is #5 ranked solution in top Business-to-Business Middleware tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Sterling B2B Integration Services an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. IBM Sterling B2B Integration Services is most commonly compared to SAP Process Orchestration: IBM Sterling B2B Integration Services vs SAP Process Orchestration. IBM Sterling B2B Integration Services is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Business-to-Business Middleware Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is IBM Sterling B2B Integration Services?

IBM Sterling B2B Integration Services are designed to alleviate the burden on internal resources by providing secure connectivity and collaboration with your customers, suppliers, and business partners. The solution is built on the cloud-based B2B integration and visibility capabilities of IBM Sterling B2B Collaboration Network and provides comprehensive service offerings for partner onboarding, B2B process management, and trading partner support.

• Facilitate growth by rapidly growing and adapting your B2B community without burdening internal resources and capital
  • Reduce B2B total cost of ownership by reducing the cost and increasing the reliability of B2B operations

Accelerate B2B collaboration with global customers and suppliers by leveraging our B2B expertise.

IBM Sterling B2B Integration Services Video

Archived IBM Sterling B2B Integration Services Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user632805 - PeerSpot reviewer
Applications Manager at Farrow
It is basically managed services, and provides availability and reliability. Setup was complex because of the nature of our business.

What is most valuable?

The B2B Sterling platform is basically managed services, so we outsource our services to IBM and it relieves us of having resources in-house and 24/7 support. It provides availability and reliability.

What needs improvement?

It's just four months down the line, so I’m not sure about areas with room for improvement.

We switched over to this service four months ago and it's been super-stable.

I think it's scalable because we've never researched before getting into it.

Business-to-Business Middleware
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, OpenText, Seeburger and others in Business-to-Business Middleware. Updated: July 2022.
622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Technical support is good. It's very good.

We had a resource in-house and the plan was to outsource it to a company. So we evaluated a bunch of different companies and chose IBM.

Setup was complex because of the nature of our business. It was straightforward from an IBM perspective.

What other advice do I have?

Do your research, but IBM is available and they have good people on staff who help you along the way. When we did this, it was our first time doing it, and IBM was available.

it_user631737 - PeerSpot reviewer
Architect at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
It allows you to do transformation and intelligent routing inside the organization. A lot of the setup actually needs to be done in different places.

What is most valuable?

It is essentially a service bus that exposes a whole bunch of services. You can call them microservices that are orchestrated by business processes; that is the essence of the product.

How has it helped my organization?

It addresses two things, i.e., it basically gives the organizations the ability to manage their communities/their partner communities, by receiving information or files from multiple organizations or multiple partners, in multiple protocols like FTPS, FTP, FPS AS2 and so on. It also allows them to do transformation and intelligent routing, inside the organization at a very high level. That's what it does.

What needs improvement?

They can certainly streamline and I think that they already are working on this in their future roadmap, in the different interface they have. Today, given the legacy it has, a lot of the setups actually need to be done in different places. The consolidation or the aggregation of all those user interfaces into one and giving more flexibility to extend the user interface in a more flexible way with modern technologies, would help.

I have been using this solution for about seven years now.

Any solution is only as good as to how it is built, so this solution is no different. It is basically set up by giving building blocks to the end user to implement. If and when the implementation is done properly, it is quite a stable product.

It needs to be architected to scale, but it can be scalable.

There is a very good support from IBM on this portfolio and it's a well-understood portfolio. It is a well-understood product, under the MFT portfolio. Thus, it is a fairly comprehensive support ecosystem that we have.

The setup is not straightforward, but it is fairly well documented. However, somebody has to understand the matrix of the documentation because it is all over the place.

What other advice do I have?

This product is fairly out there in terms of usability and easy to use, such as you can implement and deploy. It's a fairly good product.

The most important criteria while selecting a vendor is that it needs to have a certain amount of reliability on the platform and good documentation for us to be able to take the product, take the framework and then build on top of it.

The IBM documentation is fairly good. It has been built over the years and it's at the point where it is pretty mature with a few exceptions on the emerging areas but for the most part, it is a fairly well-documented product. It has what it needs for the most part, i.e., for 90% of enterprises and for 10% edge case needs a whole lot of heavy outside of the box customization or heavy automation. For the most part, it works as marketed.

Business-to-Business Middleware
July 2022
622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user631722 - PeerSpot reviewer
Director Solutions Delivery at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We've outsourced the onboarding and translation our EDI with our customers. We're looking for analytics to predict when customers have issues on their side.

What is most valuable?

For us, we've basically outsourced the onboarding and translation of all of our electronic data interchange (EDI) with our customers. We've got a lot of trading partners. The value that they talked about bringing forth is that IBM has a lot of connections with trading partners, so we shouldn't have to start from ground zero on each one.

How has it helped my organization?

So far, it's probably been pretty neutral.

What needs improvement?

We're looking for analytics to try to predict when customers have issues on their side. If a customer traditionally would send records through on certain volumes on certain days and there's an interruption in that volume, we want IBM to tell us when our customers are having trouble before our customers tell us they have trouble or before we detect that we're not getting the loads. Can they do some analytics or trending to predict that? That's what we're asking them to do.

I need to see the innovation that they talked about in the road map actually come to fruition.

We actually had an issue the morning I provided this review. We are looking for IBM to be a little more proactive and predictive in finding issues, for example, of file size and things along those lines. We had a customer send through a file erroneously that was too big for them to handle in their service, so it blew up our processes. What we're asking IBM to do is be proactive and see those files before it impacts our whole system.

Technical support resolved our issue very quickly, but I asked, "Why can't you use Watson to help figure that out before it blows up and interrupts my company's business?"

I kind of was involved with the initial setup. I've taken this group on since then, but my manager was very involved in that. Ours setup is complex, but they did a good job.

Our CIO had a relationship with IBM and said, "I want to do it." I think that we looked to use this relationship, as opposed to considering other vendors.

The biggest thing for me when choosing a vendor is that, if I have issues, I need to know that they're going to help me resolve it from an immediate perspective and long term.

What other advice do I have?

From our perspective, we've really outsourced an entire team. That has gone very well if that's what you're looking for. They do have some of the basic setups with some customers. It's probably not as much as they sold us in their value proposition, so be cautious about that. They do have a platform. They do deliver what they said they're supposed to do. You just got to look at it; keep your eyes open.

Download our free Business-to-Business Middleware Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, OpenText, Seeburger, and more!
Updated: July 2022