Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM CICS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is IBM CICS?

IBM CICS is a set of enterprise application servers with exceptional transactional performance and connectivity for mission-critical transactions. CICS applications are written in a wealth of languages, from Java to COBOL - all hosted in a highly scalable and secure environment.

IBM CICS was previously known as CICS.

IBM CICS Customers

Equens, EVRY, HSBC Bank Argentina, Garanti Bank, HDI-Gerling

IBM CICS Video

Archived IBM CICS Reviews (more than two years old)

BearGFR - PeerSpot reviewer
owner at zResource
A high-performing and reliable solution with mixed language support
  • "The most valuable features of this solution are speed, resiliency, evolution, and mixed language support."
  • "I'd like for the CPSM component to be more flexible in terms of maintenance deployment."

What is our primary use case?

It's only THE most successful software product of all time, on any platform.

Worldwide, CICS processes approximately 1.6 million transactions per second, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.  You can bet that every banking, financial, investment, and insurance transaction that runs anywhere in the world is going to touch CICS at some point in its path.

How has it helped my organization?

There simply is no other platform that is capable of matching it in terms of processing capacity, flexibility, and reliability/availability.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I'd like for the CPSM component to be more flexible in terms of maintenance deployment.  Some of the constraints it imposes on rolling out preventive service can complicate the process in a large systems complex (sysplex) consisting of many logical partitions (LPARs).

I have been using this solution for more than forty years.

It runs on mainframes.  Nothing else need be said.

Considering that it runs on both the 'smallest' DOS/VSE system to the largest zOS Parallel Sysplex configurations in the world (I know of one customer who manages over 20,000 distinct CICS instances), I'd have to say that its scalability is unmatched on any platform.

In my experience, the support structure and personnel beginning with level 1 all the way up to and including the architectural and development team at IBM are the best and most capable of any that exist on the planet.

Considering that in 1969 when CICS was first deployed, there *was* no other solution, no.

Standard SMP/e installation process.

In house

See above

Sr. Solution Architect or Program Manager at a financial services firm
It provides a way for trained business users, such as healthcare company users, to enter large amount of data, invoke functions, and achieve results with a quick turn around time.

What is most valuable?

1) It is a transaction based processing systems, 2) Excellent online system, 3) Provides opportunities to design secure, robust, well responding online transactions that can support thousands, even lakhs of users distributed geographically achieve business transactions in business professional manner.

How has it helped my organization?

In one word, it provides way for trained business users such as Healthcare Company Users to enter large amount of data, invoke functions, achieve results with a quick turn around time.

What needs improvement?

CICS needs tools like SDF, IEF, Cool Gen, Advantage Gen to better design screens, dialog flows. Need a way to provide internet type of solutions.

Have used the tool for 10+ years from 98 - 2014/2015

Did not find any major issues with deployment, we had good JCLs, deployment tools like Endevor, Changeman

Did not find any issues with stability

Did not find any issues with scalability. CICSplex would handle scalability transparently

Our product support team interacted with the Customer Service team. It had good experience.

Our product support team interacted with the Technical Support team. It had good experience.

No. We have been using CICS from the beginning. Do not know if any other solution was being used by the company.

Was not involved with the initial setup of the product. However found that initial setup of the CICS screens, dialog flows was methodical, worked well

In-House Development was there. Initial Implementation could have been done by a vendor such as Accenture or IBM. Implementation was good.

ROI has been excellent. Companies that have been using are in business, made excellent profits, expanded their business. Fact that 75% of the businesses use CICS in one way or another shows that the product has been instrumental in success of businesses.

I was not involved with this. But our CTOs would get involved with pricing, licensing and the pricing, licensing would support a large user base.

CTO teams would have actively evaluated many other products in the market. Fact that CICS has stood the test for 35+ yrs and provided results in the market is a proof that the product has worked and solves business problems.

What other advice do I have?

CICS is a good solution for online transaction processing. CICS web services along with backbones such as ESB, MQs along with other web services (for web applications) make an excellent architecture. CICS can be used in integration with Mobile / Tablet Applications when interfaced through ESB. CICS is a phenemonal software which just keeps adding business value.

Product Categories