Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is #1 ranked solution in top Web Content Filtering tools, #4 ranked solution in top Internet Security tools, and #6 ranked solution in top Web Security Gateways. PeerSpot users give Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is most commonly compared to Zscaler Internet Access: Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway vs Zscaler Internet Access. Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway?
Websense Web Security blocks web threats to reduce malware infections, decrease help desk incidents and free up valuable IT resources. It has more than 100 security and filtering categories, hundreds of web application and protocol controls, and 60-plus reports with customization and role-based access.

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway was previously known as Forcepoint SWG, Websense Web Security, Forcepoint TRITON.

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Customers
Adventist Health, Alphawest, Amadori, Anoka County, Compartamos Banco, Davies Turner, EverBank, iGATE, Karlstad Municipality, Lake Michigan Credit Union, Scavolini, Smurfit Kappa, Toyota
Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Video

Archived Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Reviews (more than two years old)

Nayef Hamzeh - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at cmc
Effective spam filter, blocks ransomware links, and is easy to configure
  • "The spam filter is very effective."
  • "We have a lot of false positives, which is one area that can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use this product for email filtering.

What is most valuable?

The spam filter is very effective.

It does a good job of detecting ransomware links in email and then blocking them.

What needs improvement?

We have a lot of false positives, which is one area that can be improved. At the same time, there is a lot of spam that still gets by the filter.

The engine should be enhanced because some malware still gets by the filter.

The login for emails should be more advanced.

I have been using Forcepoint Web Security for four years.

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This service is very stable.

It is easy to scale. I can set up more than one Exchange server and more than one domain. We have about 600 users in the company and we do not plan on increasing at this time.

We obtain support from the local partner, rather than from Forcepoint directly.

Prior to this, I was working with Websense.

It is a cloud-based deployment so the initial setup is not complex. There are a couple of things to configure, pointing them to your mail servers, but it is easy and straightforward.

We only require a single person for maintenance.

The price of this product should be reduced to make it more competitive.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I highly recommend it. However, it is important to remember that suitability will vary depending on the environment.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

DAMIR REZNICEK - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at Lactalis
Very stable and simple protection against security threats
  • "The antiviral sandboxing."
  • "Sometimes attacks or a new ransomware gets through."

What is our primary use case?

My position means that I'm focused on functionalities and the happiness of the users of this solution. I am the CTO of sales and we are a customer of Forcepoint.

What is most valuable?

I think the antiviral sandboxing is a valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The issues we have are more around organizational issues between us and Forcepoint. We don't have problems with the solution although sometimes attacks or new ransomware gets through. Sometimes we need to work together with Forcepoint in order to change the setup and to block it. It would be great if Forcepoint was able to do this without our knowledge and, even better before those mails ever reach us.

The improvement needs to come on both sides – not only from ForcePoint, but the idea is to work on few points:

• The idea is to set up on the ForcePoint side TAM that could help us in the tuning the configuration.
  • At the same time we need to work on improving the expertise and increase the number of FTE that will work on the platform (internal or external) in order to be able to really have the benefit of TAM.
  • 3rd point is that some of the attacks come through and after we report it to ForcePoint they manage to improve the environment, while my experience with some other solutons is that the provider is more proactive and does the change/improvement even before we notice it.

I've been using this solution for three years.

The stability of the solution is fine.

The scalability of the solution is fine.

We are not so satisfied with the technical support but not because of Forcepoint, rather because of the organization on both sides. We need to work on that.

The initial setup is relatively straightforward. You need to spend some time defining the template of the environment that you would like. After that, the deployment in different domains is pretty easy.

The pricing of the solution is okay. We pay licensing fees but the cost depends on the package that we take. There are no other hidden costs.

What other advice do I have?

We are happy with the solution for now. One of the reasons we took it is that it gives us the flexibility to change if we do not like it or we are not happy. To be honest, once we made the decision, I didn't look at the marketplace anymore. It's possible that there are better products out there today.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway
September 2022
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Offers strong security and is easy to manage but the deployment and configuration is complicated
  • "Once deployed, the management console is simple and easy to use."
  • "In the on-premises version, I don't like the deployment and structuring of the device."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider for a variety of products including web security, next-generation firewalls, and DLP. Forcepoint Web Security is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is security, which is very strong.

Once deployed, the management console is simple and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

In the on-premises version, I don't like the deployment and structuring of the device. It is time-consuming and not as easy to implement as Blue Coat Web Security.

I have been using Forcepoint for about one year.

Forcepoint is stable but not 100%. This solution is Websense-based and because of structure, there is some instability. In general, if it is implemented properly then it will be stable.

While the product is scalable, from a hardware perspective, it may need to be upgraded. It is not a modular appliance, but rather, a server.

Our customers are enterprise-level businesses, in general.

The technical support is very good. Here, in Saudi Arabia, service engineers are very cooperative and the Forcepoint team has a good number of people. Of course, nobody is perfect.

We used to use Blue Coat solutions but in the past couple of years, our business has turned to Forcepoint. Blue Coat Web Security is very easy to implement and configure, more so than Forcepoint.

I have also tried the cloud-based deployment of Forcepoint and it works well. It is very functional and very fine. However, we haven't sold any cloud-based subscriptions because our customers have all wanted on-premises solutions.

The initial setup is somewhat complicated. Implementing this solution and deploying the servers is the challenge. It has to be planned properly but once it is complete, the security features work properly.

The length of time for deployment depends on whether the customer is ready and has all of the prerequisites in place. If everything is ready then the deployment will take a maximum of one week. One problem we sometimes face is that the customer says they are ready and has verified that the prerequisites are in place, but in fact, once we visit the customer we find out that they are not. In cases like this, or when the information we need is not clear, it can take longer to implement.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

AGM - IT Infrastructure at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, with excellent technical support but does not scale well
  • "For the most part, the solution, when set up correctly, works fine."
  • "Overall the software is occupying too much memory space. If they could remedy that, it would be a better experience, because today Windows is occupying too much memory space as well (in terms of the RAM), and this software has also started occupying all the memory. Due to this, I have less space for my other office products and data. I can't, for example, operate a huge Excel sheet or other datasets."

What is most valuable?

For the most part, the solution, when set up correctly, works fine.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes we find the solution behaves erratically. It may be related to our configuration, which may be incorrect. We are using desktops, laptops, and workstations and the laptops are set to mobile status. We do make connections outside the office premises as well, and desktops or workstations are predominantly located in the same place.

Overall the software is occupying too much memory space. If they could remedy that, it would be a better experience, because today Windows is occupying too much memory space as well (in terms of the RAM), and this software has also started occupying all the memory. Due to this, I have less space for my other office products and data. I can't, for example, operate a huge Excel sheet or other datasets.

Product grouping should be made more flexible. We should be in a position to define the product groupings. Also, sometimes the standard product grouping that they are using is not applicable in this part of the world. If they could move it, if they could make it more flexible, it would make our life easier. Otherwise, we are forced to use our own definitions a lot. This sometimes causes problems with performance. The product grouping really should concentrate more on this particular geographic region.

I've been using the solution for about five years.

In my opinion, it's a very stable product.

Companies really have to know how their organization will scale before purchasing the solution. Otherwise, they will be limited. In our case, we've grown far beyond our expectations, and are now facing issues. These products are not that scalable even though the company claims that they are.

The solution is used quite regularly. On average, we use it up to eight hours a day.

We've used technical support in the past. We are one of the major clients for most of these products in India, so we get proper attention from the company. We've been satisfied with the level of support we've received.

We didn't face any major issues at the time of implementation. We were using the facility management of both HP and IBM. They each have their own in-house capability to manage the software. Also, the OEM would have supported them well. As such, we didn't see major issues on any of the software implementation. There were just a few initial hiccups that can happen on any major project.

What other advice do I have?

The version I'm currently using is about four years old.

My recommendation to other companies would be that they should spend more time analyzing their workload including access approvals and whitelisting/blacklisting. They should have a very clear way of defining the blacklist or whitelist.

Companies should also spend more time on sizing the product and considering how they will grow in the future when sizing it. That clarity is a must to decide the proper product size that will last over years as a company potentially grows.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Edwin EzeOsiago - PeerSpot reviewer
Regional Solutions Manager at Infodata Professional Services
Reseller
Good security categorization and resolution options, with helpful and responsive technical support
  • "The most valuable feature is the categorization, where you can allow general access to an application but limit specific features."
  • "The deployment is a bit complex and it requires expertise to deploy, which is something that should be improved and made easier to do."

What is our primary use case?

We are a professional services company and I use this solution in my office, but I also implement it for some of my customers. This product is used as a security gateway, and more generally, as part of an internet security solution.

I have some customers who have deployed this solution on-premises, while others have a hybrid cloud deployment using Azure or AWS.

How has it helped my organization?

I can now go to sleep not being bothered of users accessing sites that are wasteful or can compromise security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the categorization, where you can allow general access to an application but limit specific features. For example, you can allow a user to access Facebook, yet restrict their ability to stream Facebook videos or download pictures. The same thing can be done on services like YouTube. A similar example is that of online storage solutions, where you can approve storage collaboration with Office 365 SharePoint, but limit them from using OneDrive or Box.

I really like the fact that you aren't required to get a Forcepoint appliance. It can be deployed on a VM and I am happy to have my own servers.

Forcepoint integrates well with other appliances.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Forcepoint Web Security for approximately three years.

We have not had any problems with the stability of Forcepoint.

I have been in contact with technical support and they are great. Every time I call for assistance, they always help. Whether it is weekdays or weekends, if I need a technical session or I request materials or ask them to guide me through something, they've always been very helpful. If you have a pending case then they call you to give you updates and see what else can be done to resolve the problem. They don't allow you to just hunt down issues on your own. Rather, they will help and you are assured that they will work with you.

This is the kind of assurance that we give to our customers or anybody else who is looking into implementing Forcepoint. Especially in my region, I am very confident with the helpfulness and capability of the support, no matter who the customer is.

I am a reseller for many different types of security solutions, and I have a preference in favor of Forcepoint. There are downsides to other solutions that I have not encountered with Forcepoint, and moreover, the support in my region is massive.

The deployment is a bit complex. If you have all of the prerequisites and know all of the sites then the deployment can be done in a few days or a week. It's very rare not to encounter issues because customers will make requests, and you get stuck because of the different environments. You have to contact the customer to figure out how to resolve problems, and it can be time-consuming. The important thing is to have the planning done before starting the implementation.

The simple part of the deployment is the installation on the VM. You just have to get the license, visit the support portal, download the image, and install it on the virtual machine. When deploying on the cloud, you just have to make sure that you have space in Azure.

We have an in-house team to handle deployment.

The Prices are fair and you are assured of getting the value for your money.

What other advice do I have?

Forcepoint looks ahead at what is needed and they seem to be on track. Two years ago, they knew what they would be doing in 2020, and they are on the right path.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

AmgadYousry - PeerSpot reviewer
Security Team Leader at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
An excellent web proxy with good functionality and very deep technical features
  • "In terms of functionality, Forcepoint is the best web proxy available."
  • "The solution should be better able to support itself and operate faster. Sometimes the technical support team takes too long to respond."

What is most valuable?

All the proxies have the same features, but the idea here is about URL categorization and the support you have. I found this very interesting in Forcepoint.

In terms of functionality, Forcepoint is the best web proxy available.

I'm an engineer, and as an engineer, I often try to use the best solutions and ones I'm most comfortable with. I like Forcepoint. It's very good for implementation, but it's functionality is great. It has very, very deep technical features, and in-depth introduction features. I really encourage anyone to have it in their environment.

What needs improvement?

If the solution had a lower cost, it would be easier to implement.

In the 8.5 version of the solution, I took some issue with the interface.

I'd recommend that the company supports more process to matrix files. We've had issues with that.

I was first introduced to Forcepoint in 2013. At that point, it was Websense and has since been acquired. I've been using the solution in total for about two years. I've spent the same amount of time with the email and web security parts of Forcepoint as well.

The solution is very stable. I didn't see any issue regarding stability. The hub itself is very powerful. It's very good that I can look at the hardware good or node maintenance and see where there are vulnerabilities.

I implemented it in an environment with multiple users and other environments which included about 20 other items and I've found scalability to be great. You can have a lot of appliances that act as a cluster and you could have high availability on a sort of virtual ID server. You can do additional ID configurations from the other appliances so that typically it extends well. You don't have to have something like download X5. If you have two appliances, you just need to distribute both. For example, you can do it from the configuration. I couldn't find any situation in my work with Forcepoint that was not able to satisfactorily scale. So you can really make it as you wish.

Technical support sometimes takes too long to respond to queries.

In terms of implementation, if you are going to implement Forcepoint, you have to think about how you will deploy it in your proxy environment. You have the ability code, as well as other items.

If you are implementing Forcepoint in web proxy, it has to be P1 or P2. It has to be on the user onsite as V2 on V5. You could, for some environments, have two interfaces that communicate with each other. You cannot get both to interface, however. If you use the P1 for a user's internet, you then have to make P1 access the internet.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Forcepoint business partner in Egypt.

There are a lot of features already in the application and a lot of features that are added every day, so you have to learn how to implement them. If you decide to use the solution, you have to plan it out and prepare for it. You also have to update your knowledge and make sure your system is updated with regard to the solution. The most difficult part about Forcepoint is that if you take some time away from not working with it you forget features and processes. You need to work on it often and continue learning about it all the time.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

it_user564000 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Security Engineer at isit
Unifies Network Resources with Multi-Link Support
  • "The most valuable feature of Forcepoint Web Security is creating the easy to install further policies that are deployed through the Forcepoint security manual at some stage. Just drag and drop and the policies are there."
  • "The firewall doesn't have any features because some customers are requesting they will install the firewall without licensing. At this time we cannot go further without licensing. Licensing is a must with Forcepoint Web Security firewalls."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use that we have for Forcepoint Web Security is for server clusters plus multi-link sites, sites that require not multi-linked ISPs.

We use Forcepoint Web Security for multi-cluster servers with multi-links so that we can cluster all the multi-links into one link.

How has it helped my organization?

For our organization, when we initially deployed Forcepoint Web Security, we were looking to have four different ISP's joined, all the ISP's as one.

We wanted to utilize all of the network resources in a unified manner. We didn't want to waste other ISP resources. That is the reason why we purchased this firewall.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Forcepoint Web Security is creating the easy to install policies that are deployed through the Forcepoint security manual at some stage. Just drag and drop and the policies are there. The cluster is very easy in comparison with other firewalls and the multi-link VPN support is there.

What needs improvement?

For improvement, we cannot deploy the Forcepoint Web Security firewall directly without ISP. The firewall doesn't have any features because some customers are requesting they will install the firewall without licensing.

I'm not sure that those features are included with Forcepoint Web Security. We checked the other features but we have not checked out their performance.

More than five years.

The stability of Forcepoint Web Security is very good. I have no issues from the customers. They are very happy with the product.

If you are testing any firewalls, there is no downtime with Forcepoint Web Security. We can directly upgrade our firewalls and we can remove the old plans. We can apply newer plans without any downtime.

Scalability with Forcepoint I would rate with an eight out of ten. It is pretty scalable. You can upgrade if you want to expand.

We have a major customer, they are using it with more than 12,000 users. There are currently two security admins and a network admin. They're managing all the firewalls.

We have a total of 55 firewalls under Forcepoint Web Security. In a year, we are planning to buy new firewalls and expand.

Technical support with Forcepoint Web Security is very good.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment, like the initial setup, to configure with the licensing, can be done in two days.

Our use of Forcepoint Web Security is not built on the calculation or the policies, i.e. how the configuration will take place. Based on that, we have two different areas.

The pricing on Forcepoint Web Security is fair. Fair pricing at current market rates, if you are comparing with the competition.

Forcepoint Web Security is better than Fortinet because Fortinet is free. They still come under the enterprise level of security implementation though.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to deploy Forcepoint Web Security for whatever type of policies there are out there. We can manage any of our firewalls through one console. Our users prefer Forcepoint Web Security over any other firewall. We look for what the policy of the firewall is and through the console, we can run all the firewall settings.

With Forcepoint Web Security, we can push the policies to all the firewalls. For the upgrade, it can be implemented with no downtime.

I would rate Forcepoint Web Security an eight out of ten. It is easy so we can understand what the policies are and which policy belongs to which firewalls.

There is no downtime when we are building any firewalls. If any firewall goes down, there will be little to no impact.

Owner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
It has protected clients against cyberattacks

How has it helped my organization?

• It has improved our services.
  • It has protected clients against cyberattacks.
  • It has created more and better end user experiences.

What is most valuable?

• Protection against ransomware.
  • Giving visibility to people's actions in the network, while keeping attackers out: across data centers, offices, branches, and the cloud.

What needs improvement?

Ease of use could be improved.

Three to five years.

The solution was used as a replacement to Microsoft TMG as well as meeting compliance requirements.

it_user860823 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Incident lists don’t sync between appliances, though filtering and monitoring work well
  • "Most valuable features are content filtering and monitoring."
  • "There are several issues with the product. Version 8.4 can only be managed with a CLI, they removed the nice GUI interface from version 8.1. The load-balancing needs massive improvements. The incident lists don’t sync between appliances, they need to be manually edited for each one."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is as web proxies for a government agency.

How has it helped my organization?

This product improved the security of web traffic in our environment.

What is most valuable?

Most valuable features were content filtering and monitoring. As a government agency, it is highly important that the internet is being used for appropriate reasons and we need to track inappropriate behavior.

What needs improvement?

There were several issues with the product.

• Version 8.4 can only be managed with a CLI, they removed the nice GUI interface from version 8.1.
  • The load-balancing needs massive improvements.
  • The incident lists don’t sync between appliances, they need to be manually edited for each one.

Rohit Venkatesh - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Security Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Multiple customization options have allowed us to simplify the user experience without loss of productivity
  • "Ease of updating the latest hotfixes and patches on the appliance."
  • "Transparent Mode: Since we have multiple sites and roaming users, it has helped us in deploying the proxy to users without having to push any configurations to end users."
  • "Improve detailed guidelines to deploy the transparent proxy to Firefox users."

What is our primary use case?

Web Proxy deployment in transparent mode with data loss prevention (DLP) and protocol based filtering.

How has it helped my organization?

• Transparent mode implementation
  • Detect threats on SSL traffic
  • Multiple customization options to allow or block a specific content within the web pages has allowed us to simplify the user experience without loss of productivity.
  • Ease of updating the latest hotfixes and patches on the appliance.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• FTP access via transparent proxy
  • SSL Certificate updates
  • Detailed guidelines to deploy the transparent proxy to Firefox users.

it_user800895 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user800895Developper at CacheGuard Technologies Ltd
User

Regarding the transparent SSL inspection, did you inform your users that their private SSL connections can be potentially disclosed? I assume that you had to import your own CA certificate into all Web browsers in your organization. Isn't it? In general do you have any information regarding the SSL inspection in Europe and US jurisdictions?

it_user427377 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior ICT Security Officer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Can send decrypted traffic to other security solutions for inspection

What is most valuable?

• SSL Inspection
  • Ability to send decrypted traffic to other security solutions for inspection.

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to analyze the decrypted SSL web traffic for malware.

What needs improvement?

Security of browsing.

Seven years.

Yes. When we first began working with it, the product was not mature and we had performance issues.

Now, the product is quite stable.

Good, because we have a MCS (mission critical support) level.

Good, especially for the second line.

It was complex with a lot of technical issues.

We implemented it with a skilled vendor team.

Not applicable.

It is quite expensive.

Yes, Blue Coat and McAfee.

it_user800895 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user800895Developper at CacheGuard Technologies Ltd
User

To me SSL inspection is actually an obvious "Man In The Middle Attack" disclosing the privacy of users even if it's quite mandatory from the security perspective. I believe that doing the SSL inspection inside an appliance is a compromise. But don't you think that sending decrypted data out of the box excesses admissible limits?

it_user742935 - PeerSpot reviewer
Desktop and Application Security Manager at a tech company with 51-200 employees
It helps constantly with phishing and cryptolocker attacks

What is most valuable?

Real-time analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps constantly with phishing and cryptolocker attacks.

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be improved.

Since it was released.

It works as described.

None.

Queries can be slow on multiple terabyte databases.

There is room for improvement.

Their lead technical engineers are excellent.

I have used SurfControl and Websense. I have also tried Zscaler.

It went as planned.

In-house.

Not documented.

Do your homework and base it on facts.

Looked at open tender for all products and evaluated all current products at the time.

What other advice do I have?

It was the best solution available when selecting a product.

IT Administrator Professional at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The latest deployment was a fairly smooth transition and stability has been good with this version of code

What is most valuable?

Real-time category protection.

How has it helped my organization?

There is less need to investigate if a site is malicious. The majority of site gets reported.

What needs improvement?

• Database synchronization failures
  • Encrypted packet inspection

10 years.

The latest deployment was a fairly smooth transition, but previous upgrades and hardware replacements have been very painful.

Stability has been good with this version of code (can say the say with previous versions).

No, but we have stayed with the same scale and have not needed to scale anything.

They are okay. We haven't needed to deal with them too much.

Depends on what tech you get.

Prior to my position here, but I would know what.

Our environment is complex, so it is hard to say.

We implemented using a vendor team.

I don't track this.

Due to staffing needs, we did not consider other solutions.

Jay Stelmach - PeerSpot reviewer
Adjunct Professor at Southern New Hampshire University
It is a well-priced option with reporting, Custom Block Pages, and AD integration

What is most valuable?

• Reporting
  • Custom Block Pages
  • AD integration

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed our company to not worry about the security of a page, but talk more about the content and the productivity of specific types of web categories.

What needs improvement?

Allow for faster exemption of websites or the ability to reclassify websites.

Five years.

None.

Great. They made sure that we were choosing the right version and helped us understand the tradeoffs between their different deployment strategies.

Great. I had only a few issues after rollout and their tech support was quick to help.

Cisco Web Security. The AD integration was lacking. The speed was also lacking.

It was straightforward, since I had deployed it at my previous company. The engineer assigned to our deployment was also on hand to make sure that I followed the updated best practices.

In-house with vendor support.

It is a well-priced option.

Zscaler, Barracuda, Sophos, and Cisco Web Security.

Jay Stelmach - PeerSpot reviewer
Jay StelmachAdjunct Professor at Southern New Hampshire University

I'm not involved with ForcePoint on a level that I could procur anything that isn't available by a quick Google search. I would recommend reviewing some YouTube channels as they may be able to show you in a video how smooth the reporting is.

Lead Systems Security Administrator at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Web filtering of malicious sites has increased our security posture
  • "Reporting and automatic updates of website categorization."
  • "The documentation is almost too much, it could be laid out in an easier to understand."

What is most valuable?

Reporting and automatic updates of website categorization.

How has it helped my organization?

• Being able to have managers or department leads run their own reports has saved us an incredible amount of time.
  • Web filtering of malicious sites has increased our security posture.

What needs improvement?

• The documentation is almost too much, it could be laid out in an easier to understand.
  • Upgrades can be challenging. For us, it has required a third party to assist.

Seven years.

No, but a few major upgrades were bumpy.

Not once live in production, it seems to just work.

Excellent! We always find ourselves paired with knowledgeable technicians who resolve most of our problems on the first call.

Excellent.

Yes, Blue Coat Systems.

Complex, only in it offers a huge amount of features.

A vendor team, which was very knowledge.

Hard to calculate, but definitely there.

Get a qualified third party to assist with the web implementation.

Yes. Cisco and Barracuda.

it_user743514 - PeerSpot reviewer
User at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We are getting a high value return from our deployment
  • "The customization and control of URL filtering and the integration with other Forcepoint solutions are great features."
  • "I am looking forward to the full integration of the endpoints that they offer for web security and DLP."

What is most valuable?

Forcepoint Web Security is a complete web security solution, not just a web filter, like many other solution offerings. The customization and control of URL filtering and the integration with other Forcepoint solutions are great features.

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely added to the security level of the company network and keeps out accidental or purposeful web traffic that can be malicious or inappropriate.

Three years.

It was already done when I came onboard. I have made significant improvements to the deployment.

Not once after the deployment was corrected. Although, we do have an issue with the Real-Time Monitor service stopping on occasion.

No, this solution can be scaled quite high as long as you understand how to expand the architecture.

Customer service is at an extremely high level.

The technical support has improved drastically over the three years that I have been administering it.

I have, but at a different company.

it was a fairly straightforward implementation.

You need to plan it out carefully, so your deployment is good.

This was and continues to be an in-house deployment.

We are getting a high value return from our deployment.

Make sure to understand your environmental needs. Take your time scoping the project, otherwise you will have hardship later on down the road.

Yes, others were evaluated.

it_user327456 - PeerSpot reviewer
Co-Founder, CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The Sandbox is a very useful solution for sand-boxing malware / phishing etc.
  • "Email Sandbox, DLP and Proxy."
  • "Reports in the sand-boxing, ease of deployment of sensors to ready to go server with one click of a button."

What is most valuable?

Email Sandbox, DLP and Proxy.

How has it helped my organization?

The Sandbox is a very useful solution for sand-boxing malware / phishing etc. from corporate email accounts. No matter whether it's on Office 365, Exchange (on-premise), or Google (or any other cloud). The Sandbox updates on a regular basis, and the flexibility of policy configuration, white-listing is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

I think there is room to improve the reporting area of the solution and also the investigation part, a basic section where you see the body and headers of each email and the reason it got blocked.

Six years.

If you implement it correctly you wont have an issue.

If you implement it correctly you wont have an issue.

Support by vendor is low-medium. You need to rely on yourself or your integrator.

Mcafee GW. Wasn't satisfied at all both in the general UI and ease of configuration.

Straightforward. Very easy to implement.

Expensive, but with a good reseller you can get a very good price.

I'm familiar with plenty of competitor solutions, tried most of the top solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Get your self a good reseller, and good integrator (don't do it by yourself).

Senior Security Consultant at a integrator with 501-1,000 employees
Technically good...too much administration required..one of the best reporting..poor customer support

What is most valuable?

Email web and DLP

How has it helped my organization?

Organisation of emails

What needs improvement?

Support

1 year

Yea, loads of issues.

2 out of 10

6 out of 10

Yea Bluecoat, Websense has more features.

Straight forward

Vendor - 8 out of 10

Better

What other advice do I have?

I expect timely support....

Rishard Baderoon - PeerSpot reviewer
Rishard BaderoonCountry Manager - Africa at Qualys

Hi Krishnaraj

I suggest you find a good reseller partner. Our company provides technical support and has received the highest of accolades for websense implementation and support.

If you need assistance let me know and ill see where we can help.

it_user1266 - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Manager at a local government with 51-200 employees
Somewhat decent for the price, but extended functionality and filtering is lacking.

Valuable Features:

It is fairly easy to setup and use. I like the way you can have varying policies based on users and IP address ranges. Preset categories cover many websites, and can be useful if you are setting policies based on security only, or if you need to really lock systems down.

Room for Improvement:

AD authentication is buggy and not very effective. Sometimes the policies are applied immediately, sometimes after 5 minutes. The only sure way to filter is to set static IPs, which is not effective network management. Many websites are not filtered. Many categories don't include commonly used sites. Malware can slip through easily.

Other Advice:

For the functionality, the price is fair. Easy to manage and simple to deploy if you are using basic features. Tech support is not very helpful. I have suggested numerous changes that could be made, but nobody responded.
Download our free Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022