F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) is the #13 ranked solution in top Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection tools. PeerSpot users give F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) is most commonly compared to Arbor DDoS: F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) vs Arbor DDoS. F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM)?

F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) is a high-performance, full-proxy network security solution designed to protect networks and data centers against incoming threats that enter the network. Built on F5’s industry-leading BIG-IP hardware and software platforms, BIG-IP AFM provides a scalable platform that delivers the flexible performance and control needed to mitigate aggressive distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) and protocol attacks before they overwhelm and degrade applications and infrastructure availability.

For service providers, BIG-IP AFM IPS does even more, protecting the network edge and performing traffic inspection and protocol adherence for prevalent service provider protocols such as SS7, Diameter, HTTP/2, GTP, SCTP and SIP traffic coming into the network over UDP, TCP, and SCTP.

F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) was previously known as F5 AFM, F5 Advanced Firewall Manager.

F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) Customers

City Bank, Ricacorp Properties, Miele, American Systems, Bangladesh Post Office

F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) Video

F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) Pricing Advice

What users are saying about F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) pricing:
  • "F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) is an expensive solution. They are one of the best in the market, but the price could be cheaper."
  • "F5 BIG-IP AFM is an affordable solution. There were not any additional fees other than the standard licensing."
  • F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) Reviews

Richard Polyak - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. Architect Individual Contributor at a media company with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to use, good performance, and capable of processing a large load of traffic
    • "Its performance and ease of use are valuable."
    • "There should be simplified and better integration with BIG-IQ."

What is our primary use case?

We use these as our data center firewalls. At the time of our analysis of the systems, they were the ones able to process the large load of traffic that we needed over any other systems out there. So, capacity-wise, these were able to address our needs.

We have version 12, version 13, version 14, and version 15.

How has it helped my organization?

We're a media company, and it provides security around very sensitive content. It provides security for content before being released.

What is most valuable?

Its performance and ease of use are valuable.

What needs improvement?

There should be simplified and better integration with BIG-IQ. There should also be a more modular approach. I believe they are working on it, and it is just a matter of deployment.

Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about F5, NETSCOUT, Radware and others in Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection. Updated: November 2022.
    655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for eight years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. There are 20,000 to 30,000 people who use it on a daily basis. Their roles vary from content editors to content viewers at different levels of the organization. Its usage might increase.

I would rate them a four out of five.

We have got different products. We have got different vendors for firewalls. We have Palo Alto, Juniper, Cisco, etc.

It is pretty straightforward. The duration depends on our typical deployment scenarios. Usually, it takes about three months from the time our projects are fully approved and all the way down to deployment. So, from initial installation to releasing the production, our deployment scenarios take three months.

Its maintenance is easy and simple. For maintenance, we need a staff of one.

It was implemented in-house. For deployment, we have different teams and levels, and they could be a team of five. We have another team for the day-to-day operations, and they could be anywhere from ten people.

For our requirements, we have seen an ROI.

We did look at different options. At the time we were looking at it, this was the only one that was able to perform at the level of performance required.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise doing your homework. Do your research, and make sure you understand what the product is for so that you do not deploy it where it will not fit your needs. This is not a next-gen firewall. It is not meant to compete against next-gen firewalls. It is meant primarily for DNS type of things. That doesn't mean it can't do next-gen tasks, but the way I see it and the way I understand it, it is more for data centers.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Head: Cyber and Information Research Centre at Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
    Responsive support, beneficial load balancing, but web gateway could improve
    • "The most valuable features of F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) are the web gateway, load balancing, services, and applications available."
    • "The web gateway feature could improve in F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM)."

What is our primary use case?

I am using F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) for load balancing and an IP gateway.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) are the web gateway, load balancing, services, and applications available.

What needs improvement?

The web gateway feature could improve in F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM).

In the next release, the automation and AI aspect are very important nowadays, particularly from the incident point of view. I know they've added automation and AI in the recent update, but it could improve. The solution comes with devices and is more device-based, but it could be beneficial to have a software-defined load balancer. If there were less hardware it would save on costs.

I have been using F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) for approximately five years.

F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) is a stable solution. I have not had many issues.

The solution is scalable, but there are costs involved.

We have approximately 10,000 users using the solution. The solution is being used daily.

I rate the technical support of F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) a four out of five.

They're responsive and have always have pointed helped out when we had issues.

The initial setup of the F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) is of a medium level of difficulty. There are technical elements that are required to set it up.

We used the vendor to help us do the implementation.

F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) is an expensive solution. They are one of the best in the market, but the price could be cheaper.

I rate the price of F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) a three out of five.

There are competing solutions in the market. In terms of what F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) offers, from the load balancing point of view, I think they are one of the best. When it comes to firewalls and other solutions, there are better ones, such as FortiGate, Cisco, or Huawei. As a firewall, they are not the best. However, for load balancing, they're the best.

What other advice do I have?

F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) is a popular big brand name behind it. However, it is expensive. Everything that is being used by large corporations is going to have a high cost.

I rate F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) a seven out of ten.

Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection
    November 2022
    655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Executive of the Telecommunications Area at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Top level support, scalable, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

F5 BIG-IP AFM is deployed on-premise and in the cloud.

We are using F5 BIG-IP AFM mostly for financial services.

How has it helped my organization?

F5 BIG-IP AFM has improved the way our organization functions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of F5 BIG-IP AFM is all of my workers enjoy using it.

I have been using F5 BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager (AFM) for approximately 11 years.

F5 BIG-IP AFM is very good.

The scalability of F5 BIG-IP AFM has been very good.

We have approximately 3,000 users using this solution in my company. If we have another system we will increase our usage.

The support that we receive from the F5 BIG-IP AFM has been very valuable.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I previously used Cisco solutions and I switched to F5 BIG-IP AFM because of the superior support.

The initial setup of F5 BIG-IP AFM in a complex environment was simple. However, the full deployment took us approximately one year.

We did the implementation of F5 BIG-IP AFM in-house.

We have seven people that are maintaining F5 BIG-IP AFM.

What other advice do I have?

I rate F5 BIG-IP AFM a ten out of ten.

Download our free Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection Report and find out what your peers are saying about F5, NETSCOUT, Radware, and more!
    Updated: November 2022