Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

ExtremeCloud IQ OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ExtremeCloud IQ is #5 ranked solution in top Network Management Applications. PeerSpot users give ExtremeCloud IQ an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. ExtremeCloud IQ is most commonly compared to Aruba Wireless: ExtremeCloud IQ vs Aruba Wireless. ExtremeCloud IQ is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 48% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 20% of all views.
ExtremeCloud IQ Buyer's Guide

Download the ExtremeCloud IQ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is ExtremeCloud IQ?

ExtremeCloud is a resilient and scalable cloud-based network management solution offered by Extreme Networks as a subscription service.

The network is your platform of engagement for clients and staff. We have designed ExtremeCloud to provide superior user experience by empowering you and the applications that drive your business. The combination of Extreme Networks’ smart wired and wireless edges and the elasticity, resilience and scalability provided via state-of-the-art datacenters distributed strategically for worldwide availability allows you to respond to the changing needs of your business, at the speed of cloud, through a simple, multi-site aware user interface.

ExtremeCloud IQ was previously known as Aerohive Networks, Aerohive HiveManager, HiveManager, ExtremeCloud .

ExtremeCloud IQ Customers

Henry Ford Health System, Baltimore Ravens, Brandili, Federal University of Alagoas, CEDAE, Caxias do Sul, UNISC Concurrency, CenturyLink Field, Louisiana College, Cricket Tasmania Stadium, Moscow Internet Exchange

ExtremeCloud IQ Video

ExtremeCloud IQ Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ExtremeCloud IQ pricing:
  • "Extreme is twice as cheap compared to Cisco due to the currency exchange. Normally, I think Cisco would be a little bit more expensive, but there wouldn't be that much of a difference."
  • "It is costly as compared to Meraki, Aruba, Juniper, and Cisco. Cloud IQ is an enterprise solution, whereas Meraki is specifically a single solution."
  • "It is not the cheapest product but I think that the price is reasonable because you get a lot of support of it's needed."
  • "The price was okay."
  • "I did a multi-year license. It was a three-year license. It compares well with others in terms of the price. It is about a hundred dollars per year on a three-year scale."
  • ExtremeCloud IQ Reviews

Technical Coordinator at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Extremely easy to deploy, but dashboard and stability need to be improved
    • "It's extremely easy to deploy. Even our access points are behind the net, not using real, public IP. We can easily add to the cloud. For deployment, we just need to let the access point take the DSCP from IP and then, even if it's not a requirement, we can see the serial number from the access points and add the serial number to the cloud directly."
    • "The dashboard and stability need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We're using the latest version. It's deployed on a public cloud. We can get our management interface from the internet, from anywhere.

There are 2,000 people who use this solution in my organization, but we haven't finished the setup yet. Our users are mostly students.

What is most valuable?

It's extremely easy to deploy. Even our access points are behind the net, not using real, public IP. We can easily add to the cloud. For deployment, we just need to let the access point take the DSCP from IP and then, even if it's not a requirement, we can see the serial number from the access points and add the serial number to the cloud directly.

The manageability is also good. We can create some places in the management interface, like different buildings (building A, building B, etc.) and floors.

From our network, I can connect and do the deployments from anywhere.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard and stability need to be improved. We deployed some buildings and nearly 200 access points.

We didn't install the access points for the buildings, so it would be nice for us to see which access point goes to which switch port. For example, it would be nice to know where a switch with a faulty access point is located.

The company didn't document it well, so it's like a discovery process. When there's a problem with the wireless signal, we don't know which access point is causing it. We need to go and see the access point lights. It's like the white LED is not blinking or not stable. It would be nice for us to be able to document the exact location of the access points.

I need to see the license because there are many features that are disabled for now because we are still using the essential license. Many features require the Pilot license.

I have been using this solution for about nine months.

ExtremeCloud IQ
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about ExtremeCloud IQ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's not stable. I watched many videos. I thought I made some mistakes with deployment. I needed to isolate the access points management. In the beginning, it's like the data and access points were in the same zone. I watched some video that said not to do that, so I built a test environment and put the access points in that environment, but nothing changed. Hopefully, it's because we don't have the right license.

When we did the speed test, it's 500 or 600. We don't have the Pilot license, so we weren't expecting more than 150 megabits. Sometimes it's 105 megabits.

It's scalable. You can get the serial number and enter from the Extreme portals. We get serial numbers from the product, enter it in the website, and create zones, buildings, areas.

I didn't get the chance to directly communicate with Extreme like with Cisco, but it's okay. The company is helpful, but unfortunately, not like Cisco. They don't have too many engineers, so it was hard to get a response.

At this point, I don't ask for help too often. I did my research by myself. They have certification, but they don't have documents for the certification like in Cisco. With Cisco, I can get wireless certification documents from Amazon or even Cisco Press. I can pay and get the information from the internet, blogs, and the Cisco website.

In our country, many universities and companies use Extreme products, but this cloud solution is very new for us. I don't have friends who I can ask about a performance problem or how to design a network. Cisco is everywhere, but Extreme isn't.

Initial setup isn't complex.

We opened a new email account with Extreme Portal and got a new account, like in the technical university. I entered my email address, set up a password, and that was all. We have an essential license actually, which is a limited license, but it was super easy.

Extreme is twice as cheap compared to Cisco due to the currency exchange. Normally, I think Cisco would be a little bit more expensive, but there wouldn't be that much of a difference.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution six out of ten.

I hope that when we get the license, it will be a nine.

Manik Chavan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Assistnat Professor in Computer Science and Engineering Department at Walchand College of Engineering
    Great location tracking, dashboards and general visibility
    • "Everything can be seen from the dashboard."
    • "We'd like to have a cloud dashboard from which we can see all devices."

What is our primary use case?

We have ExtremeCloud IQ with access points 8410 and 460 from Extreme.

We are using it for an academic institute - specifically, for the students, faculty, and staff.

What is most valuable?

The basic feature is that we can troubleshoot, or we can visualize anything from any site. It's not necessary that you should be present at a particular location. If I'm not able to detect any problem, so I can ask them to look from where they are. They can troubleshoot from their place.

All the access points we can monitor on the 111 dashboards - including which is up, and which is down. That can be monitored quite easily. We can also monitor the health of the devices - which are working or to what extent they're working.

We can also detect intrusions. Everything can be seen from the dashboard.

We can track people on campus. Including how they are moving. In the case of the pandemic, this was useful. For example, we'd be able to see if some person is here who is COVID positive and if he's moving to a particular area. You can track that.

Location tracking is also possible in case of an unfortunate event, such as hostile individuals.

We can see how many students are there from their WiFi.

Everything is visible from the dashboard.

The initial setup is easy.

It's stable and scalable.

What needs improvement?

We can't, for example, see Cisco access points from the dashboard. We can only see Extreme. We'd need another dashboard for other devices. It would be ideal if we could integrate everything into one dashboard and monitor everything that way from one place. We'd like to have a cloud dashboard from which we can see all devices.

We've used the solution for about one year.

It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can scale. It's not a problem. If we need to add access points, we just add them. We have about 2,500 people on the solution.

We get assistance from a third party. We can ask for assistance from them or Extreme.

We have used other options. We have deployed NetGear types of access points. We've taken Cisco's access points. We went with this solution as it was more centralized.

It's a straightforward setup.

While the vendor helps us with the setup, we have written the RFP and everything.

There isn't a lot of maintenance required. It's working smoothly now and doesn't need much upkeep.

We have used third-party assistance. There are vendors that can help. We're only professors. They have professional IT skills.

I can't recall the exact pricing. As I recall, it's on the higher side. I have seen other solutions such as Meraki from Cisco Aruba. Extreme is on the higher side. I'd rate it a four out of five in terms of affordability as the cost is quite high.

You simply need a regular license to begin using it.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution. It supports our Wi-Fi 6 highly compatible. And in wireless, it's a 22.11.

We're end-users.

It's working very well on our side. That's why we tell people that this solution is good. We've had a good experience with this. In our organization, there are traditional buildings that are from 1947. The width of the walls are approximately 2.5 feet and more, so it's quite difficult to penetrate the signals through those walls. In case of the Wi-Fi, that will be one of the challenges. However, we are seeing it's working very smoothly.

I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten.

ExtremeCloud IQ
    September 2022
    633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Director at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
    It's intuitive, and it gives you as much or as little control over security as you want
    • "The tech who handles Extreme IQ tells me it's easy to use and learn. He felt like it was pretty intuitive. It comes with solid training materials. He also has talked about the security features that give you as much or as little control as you want."

How has it helped my organization?

We do training here, so we have several people coming into our system, and they're logging in with their phone or PC. ExtremeCloud IQ gives us some control, which our admin considers crucial.

What is most valuable?

The tech who handles Extreme IQ tells me it's easy to use and learn. He felt like it was pretty intuitive. It comes with solid training materials.  He also has talked about the security features that give you as much or as little control as you want.

This is my third year at the education co-op, but they were using it before I joined. I believe that they have been using ExtremeCloud for four years. I'm not the technical person managing the solution.

I had some experience with Extreme Networks equipment when I was the superintendent of a school district, and It was always great. We never had any problems. We may have had an issue with a switch here or there, but they always came in and swapped it out.

Our tech guy has always said that tech support is Extreme Networks' strength. They respond quickly and provide excellent assistance when needed. If necessary, they'll have a person on-site.

I don't know if it's the reseller or Extreme Networks, but one thing I consistently hear about is the customer support. I'm sure I could probably pay a little bit less with another vendor, but I'm not sure I would get the same level of support.

They used Aerohive.

I haven't done an in-depth analysis, but I think it's competitive. I couldn't tell you if it's the cheapest, but I have no reason to believe that it's out of line with the prices on the market. If you ask the superintendent of a co-op if the price of a product could be better, the answer will always be "yes."

You get what you pay for. In my experience, you want to ensure you're buying something of reputable quality, and you have a duty to pay a reasonable price when you're spending public funds. There are other considerations, too. How long is it going to last? Are you going to have ongoing support? Is that support going to be delivered in a timely manner?

When they put out an RFP for the last project where we purchased some Extreme Networks products, it listed certain specs we were looking for. Some solutions met those specifications exactly or better than Extreme. One vendor who responded told us that they didn't think we needed that level we requested. They specified less, and their price was less, so I had to go into a detailed analysis to show whether they did or did not meet the requirements of the RFP.

One of the things I learned in that process is that it's hard for a layman like me to tell whether I'm comparing apples to apples. It would be nice if a person in my position could compare an Extreme switch and switches from Aruba or another company, but that was a challenge for me. That's why I'm hesitant to compare solutions and pricing. I might be comparing a Chevrolet to a BMW, for all I know.

What other advice do I have?

I rate ExtremeCloud IQ 10 out of 10. I have no complaints. It's a high-end solution. I've worked with three technology coordinators, and I've never heard any of them say something negative about Extreme Networks equipment.

Kamlesh Ridhorkar - PeerSpot reviewer
      Sr. Solution Architect at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
      Reseller
      A perfect solution that provides good performance and throughput and lets you do almost everything
      • "What our customers like the most is that this device is so rugged. It has very good performance and throughput. Its console is very easy to use and has many features, which makes it different from its competitors. Cloud IQ has all the features built into the console, whereas other solutions require you to integrate multiple solutions with their consoles. You don't need to add anything extra with Cloud IQ. With this single solution, you can do almost everything."
      • "Its price could be lower. It is a simplified solution, but it has price challenges. It is costly as compared to other solutions. It has almost everything. The only thing is that MAC is not possible on the cloud, and it has to be on-premises."

What is our primary use case?

We sell this solution to customers. In terms of deployment, some customers require an on-premise solution, and some are okay with the cloud solution. It is a mix of both environments. We provide the latest version of this solution.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its price could be lower. It is a simplified solution, but it has price challenges. It is costly as compared to other solutions.

It has almost everything. The only thing is that MAC is not possible on the cloud, and it has to be on-premises.

I have been using this solution for approximately one and a half years.

It is a very stable solution.

It is very much scalable. It supports more than 100K access points in one console.

We got good support from them.

It has a very straightforward setup. There is not much to do. We just have to configure the console. That's it.

The deployment duration depends on the configuration that a customer wants, such as how granularly they want to configure the policies and whether they want to configure it as a WiFi. It is a cloud-based solution, so it generally doesn't take long. If you want to connect the API and make it live, it is a one-day job. Once you configure the controlled access, the API will connect to it, and you have to just push the policy on that API.

It is costly as compared to Meraki, Aruba, Juniper, and Cisco. Cloud IQ is an enterprise solution, whereas Meraki is specifically a single solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. It is very good and stable. You don't have to go with multiple consoles and their integration.

I would rate ExtremeCloud IQ a ten out of ten. It is a perfect solution.

Senior Pre-sales consultant at Businesscom BV
      Reseller
      Professional support, scales well, simple to use, and suits many needs for many customers
      • "The support organization behind this product is extremely professional."
      • "Having a wizard for customers who are just starting might be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We are a distributor and ExtremeCloud IQ is one of the products that we have experience with. It is primarily used by bigger companies in industries such as healthcare.

What is most valuable?

The support organization behind this product is extremely professional.

This is a product that suits the many needs of many customers.

We are happy with the interface.

What needs improvement?

First time users may find it difficult to get going into the right direction. After registering for a new CloudIQ, where to start. Some guidance would be helpful.

I have been working with ExtremeCloud IQ for two years.

It's extremely stable. Most of the time, it works like a charm.

This is a very scalable product. It works fine with two or three access points, but also in an environment where you have hundreds or even thousands of them.

We have had no issues with technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. If you want to have a straightforward network, it's extremely simple to set up.

It is not the cheapest product but I think that the price is reasonable because you get a lot of support of it's needed. This is a professional access point.

There are many alternatives that we evaluated, and we chose ExtremeCloud.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, we are definitely satisfied with this product. They are well ahead of what I want to see. Sometimes, when I think that a new feature might be nice, it's there already.

My advice for anybody who is looking at this product is that there may be a small barrier to getting started, but just jump over it and you will definitely be surprised by the simplicity of the whole product.

The autopilot version of Cloud IQ is coming, and it has a lot of artificial intelligence in it. It will handle jobs that the normal IT person does. You can just leave it alone, close the door and throw away the key.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Sales Executive at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      MSP
      Great dashboards, and nice interface but having a guest network is difficult
      • "The dashboards are great and the user interface is quite intuitive."
      • "I know a school district, a big school district of mine, ripped out Extreme due to inefficiencies. It was the guest network that can be a struggle. They tried to differentiate between their primary network, and then offer a secondary."

What is our primary use case?

We see use cases a lot in the education sector. You could find Extreme Wireless just about anywhere. However, I would say the majority would be education due to the dashboard, which is something that people really like.

That's not to say you can't find it in manufacturing. That's not to say you can't find it in healthcare. It's just not viewed as strongly as Cisco.

What is most valuable?

The dashboards are great and the user interface is quite intuitive.

What needs improvement?

I'm not on the technical resource. I know a school district, a big school district of mine, ripped out Extreme due to inefficiencies. It was the guest network that can be a struggle. They tried to differentiate between their primary network, and then offer a secondary. For example, if you go to a store and you get the guest network. However, there's been issues with that.

I want to say we had a five-year-old relationship with Aerohive, prior to Aerohive being acquired by Extreme. I would say Extreme has been a presence for two years.

It's a little bit more comfortable for these medium size businesses.

We also use a lot of Cisco products.

The solution is moderately priced. I’d rate it a three out of five in terms of affordability. If five is the highest, which would be Cisco, I would say Extreme definitely gets most of their business by not being as expensive as Cisco. And the licensing also costs less, which is a big selling point.

What other advice do I have?

We sell the solution. We are an Extreme partner. I don't know to what level. We're Cisco through and through. About 70% of what leaves this company is Cisco and we're a $270 million company. However, we’re partners with Extreme too.

I’d rate the solution a seven out of ten.

ICT Network Manager at a non-tech company with 11-50 employees
      Good centralized management and wireless control functionality, and easy to deploy
      • "The most valuable feature is the centralized management capability."
      • "The licensing model could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product for wireless control.

How has it helped my organization?

We didn't have wireless service available before implementing this product, so it has improved things quite a lot.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the centralized management capability.

Overall, the wireless control features are good.

What needs improvement?

The licensing model could be improved.

This is a stable solution.

This product is scalable and we have approximately 125 people using it.

We don't go directly to the vendor. Rather, we get our technical support from a third party, and they have been good so far.

We did not use another wireless solution before this one. We purchased it because we needed to provide wireless service within the organization.

The initial setup was easy.

We had another company do the implementation. They showed us how to use it and handed it over. I have no complaints about the deployment.

I do the maintenance on it.

We don't operate such that this product would provide a return on investment. We're a school and we put this system in place to provide wireless access to the pupils.

The price was okay. However, there are different licensing models and it would be helpful if more of the features were in the lower licensing bracket.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product does what we've asked it to do.

Jon Rauer - PeerSpot reviewer
      CIO at a construction company with 11-50 employees
      Very stable and easy to configure and deploy
      • "Its configuration and deployment are the most valuable."
      • "They can improve just the onboarding process. More user information about the introduction to the product would be helpful. It would be good if they have a better user introduction to the new product because it is different than the prior version."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for general business.

What is most valuable?

Its configuration and deployment are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I have been using ExtremeCloud IQ for six months. I have used its prior version in my previous company.

It is very stable.

I don't know about scalability at this point. Right now, it is just 5,000 square feet with two nodes.

I haven't had any reason to contact them.

Once I figured it out, it was easy. There is an actual deployment interface, and if you can find this deployment interface when you first log into the application, it helps to speed up the deployment.

I implemented it myself. It was quick after I figured out the interface.

I did a multi-year license. It was a three-year license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend taking a positive look at it. It has been a great product. I have used its prior version and never had any complaints with it.

I would rate ExtremeCloud IQ a nine out of ten.

Download our free ExtremeCloud IQ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
      Updated: September 2022