Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is the #14 ranked solution in top Disaster Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is most commonly compared to VMware SRM: Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines vs VMware SRM. Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Disaster Recovery (DR) Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines?

Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines enables quick recovery of VMware virtual machines and allows you to efficiently test, manage and orchestrate operational backup and disaster recovery operations.

With tight integration with VMware, RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is storage and application agnostic, with built-in automation accessible via VMware vSphere web client plug-in.

When cloud becomes a vital part of your disaster recovery strategy, RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is also web-enabled, providing efficient replication to AWS and VMware Cloud on AWS.

RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines is available as part of Dell Data Protection Suite.

Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines Customers

Rushmore Electric Power Cooperative, PCS Publishing, Noble Foods

Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines Video

Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines pricing:
  • "It was a part of a backup solution. So, it was free for us."
  • "There is a license required for this solution and the pricing depends on how many virtual machines you have."
  • Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines Reviews

Joseph James - PeerSpot reviewer
    Systems & Support Engineer at CWG Plc
    Reseller
    It replicates workloads fast, but it wastes resources
    • "RecoverPoint replicates workloads fast."

What is our primary use case?

The main use case is site-to-site virtual machine replication and failover.

What is most valuable?

RecoverPoint replicates workloads fast.

What needs improvement?

There is a problem with the solution's architecture. First of all, it requires double the resources on the virtual environment to set up one environment. You set up a cluster of virtual machines per site, so you are doubling the resources you need.

While it wastes resources, it also provides a strategy to do high availability. It also lacks backward compatibility with some of the old vCenter servers. When you get an issue, they want you to upgrade up to the latest edition. However, when I have an old vCenter server, I should be able to use whatever version we have to do the replication.

It also has a security vulnerability because it requires several ports to be open in the customer environment. These ports are open on the firewall. It also lacks a reporting mechanism to show a customer, the number of machines you've backed up and the difference. It's essential for a customer to know what is happening.

I have been using RecoverPoint for two and a half years.

Disaster Recovery (DR) Software
      December 2022
      Find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, VMware, Zerto and others in Disaster Recovery (DR) Software. Updated: December 2022.
      655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

RecoverPoint hasn't been very stable in this particular customer use case. However, I don't know if it is because of their environment or the connection. The solution is generally stable if you set it up well.

RecoverPoint is scalable.

I rate RecoverPoint support eight out of 10. An engineer is usually available, so they will put you straight through to the engineer when you call on Skype. You have access to live support, but you don't get a live engineer with PowerVault.

We used other products from Veritas, VMware, and CommVault. RecoverPoint for VM is specialized. The main difference is that it's dedicated to the disaster recovery strategy. It doesn't have those aspects of point-in-time backup and recovery. It's for disaster recovery site-to-site replication and continuous backup.

It's complex for someone who has never set it up before. I would rate it six out of 10 for ease of setup.

RecoverPoint's licensing is based on the number of virtual machines and the capacity that we are backing up, and the number of cores. It's between $5,000 and $30,000, depending on the licensing model and your environment. I think they even have something below $4,000. You also need to pay maintenance, which is about 10 percent of the price.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Dell RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines seven out of 10 because the support is great.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integrator Reseller
      Senior Systems Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
      Point-in-time recovery is useful, but it should have a GUI option for recovering a group of virtual machines

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for DR Security.

What is most valuable?

Point-in-time recovery and ease of deployment are valuable.

What needs improvement?

Its scalability and integration with VMware cloud foundation should be improved.

It should have features for recovering a group of virtual machines and full-scale security. For recovering all the VMs at once, they don't have a GUI option, and we have to use the command line.

I have been using this solution for more than one year.

It is stable.

Its scalability can be better.

We have good support, but we have been having issues with the product. We've been trying to work on them with the help of their support.

It was straightforward, but we had issues after the setup. So, we are working with their support to resolve these issues.

It was a part of a backup solution. So, it was free for us.

We checked out Commvault and Zerto.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of 10.

Disaster Recovery (DR) Software
      December 2022
      655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
      Anteneh Asnake - PeerSpot reviewer
      Modern Data Center and Cloud Engineer II at IE Network Solutions PLC
      MSP
      Stable, good technical support, and easy installation

What is our primary use case?

We are using Dell EMC RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines primarily for data replication from one location to another.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by being more easier to use. However, once you have used it for a while it becomes easier. Additionally, there could be better support and compatibility with management by having a command-line interface. This would be beneficial for the customers.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

The solution is stable but the performance could improve.

We have two customers using this solution.

The technical is very good but sometimes it takes them a while to come back with a solution to our issue.

The installation is straightforward if the version you have is compatible with your infrastructure.

One person can do the whole implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Dell EMC RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines a nine out of ten.

Download our free Disaster Recovery (DR) Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, VMware, Zerto, and more!
      Updated: December 2022