Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Dell PowerVault OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell PowerVault is #1 ranked solution in top Enterprise SAN tools and top Fibre Channel tools. PeerSpot users give Dell PowerVault an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Dell PowerVault is most commonly compared to HPE StoreOnce: Dell PowerVault vs HPE StoreOnce. Dell PowerVault is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
Dell PowerVault Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell PowerVault Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Dell PowerVault?
PowerVault MD3 storage arrays help you cost-effectively address the challenges of data growth with versatile solutions that are optimized for smaller-scale storage consolidation, flexible virtualization projects and high business continuity.

Dell PowerVault was previously known as PowerVault.

Dell PowerVault Customers
Dayco, FAW Foundry, University of Cambridge, Finder, Stadtwerke Pforzheim GmbH & Co.
Dell PowerVault Video

Dell PowerVault Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell PowerVault pricing:
  • "It is important to remember that the retail price may seem high, but the final price is usually different."
  • "The price is reasonable and we are satisfied with it."
  • Dell PowerVault Reviews

Nipuna Nakandala - PeerSpot reviewer
    Junior Manager (Virtual Infrastructure) at a maritime company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Reliable with helpful support but needs better UI
    • "The storage has been good."
    • "The implementation process takes a while."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for storage purposes. We're using it for our storage for VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

Through our whole VMware infrastructure, it helped to improve things here, as this is the first time we using something like this. So far, it helps. It helps to improve our hardware facilities.

What is most valuable?

The storage has been good.

It is stable.

Support is helpful.

What needs improvement?

We've had some control issues. Otherwise, over the last five years, it's worked well.

The implementation process takes a while.

The UI could be better.

Cisco MDS Series vs. Dell PowerVault
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco MDS Series vs. Dell PowerVault and other solutions. Updated: September 2022.
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution for the last five years.

We've had some minor stability issues with control. It's largely stable.

The solution can scale. We were able to almost double capacity and it was fine.

We have 1\ten to 15 people using the solution and the VMs.

We are planning to update our complete infrastructure, so we are still thinking about another solution, and considering whether we can go for a vSAN or something like that. We are at that stage now. We're shopping around so we can move away, potentially, from this solution.

It takes some time to implement the solution. This was the first time we were implementing this kind of storage so it's been a bit challenging. Once you get knowledge, maybe it gets simpler.

For deployment and maintenance, we have four to five people able to handle tasks.

We had a partner that assisted us with the implementation process.

We have seen an ROI. I'd rate it four out of five in terms of the value we've seen.

I'm not sure of the exact cost of the solution. My understanding is that it's somewhere in the middle - not too cheap or too expensive.

At the time we purchased it, we didn't have pro support. When we have that control issue, we got to recognize the value of pro support, and we have upgraded it since then. The last time we upgraded it was for the pro support. Other than that, there is no additional cost.

What other advice do I have?

We'd recommend the solution to others.

We'd like some UI improvement, however, other than that, I would rate it seven out of ten.

Joseph James - PeerSpot reviewer
    Systems & Support Engineer at CWG Plc
    Reseller
    It's easy to provision and set up
    • "It's easy to set up PowerVault and provision storage."
    • "I would like Dell to improve on the configuration of the disk groups. Only one group is expandable. Once you configure the other disk group types, you cannot expand them. It limits scalability. If you want maybe to grow a disk group, you lose information, and then you need to build it up again, which is not a good use case for customers."

What is our primary use case?

PowerVault is used as a direct-attached storage target for virtualization. The nodes are in the FX tool, and the storage is the PowerVault.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to set up PowerVault and provision storage.

What needs improvement?

I would like Dell to improve on the configuration of the disk groups. Only one group is expandable. Once you configure the other disk group types, you cannot expand them. It limits scalability. If you want maybe to grow a disk group, you lose information, and then you need to build it up again, which is not a good use case for customers.

Maybe they could upgrade the firmware to allow other kinds of disk groups that are the usual disk group protection. It should let you expand without destroying the disk groups first.

I've been using PowerVault for three years.

PowerVault is a stable product.

The scalability depends on how you configure PowerVault. I can set the disk groups initially, but the scaling is tied to how you configure it. It's a Dell custom configuration for disk grouping that limits you.

I rate Dell support six out of 10. Contacting them can be tricky because their contact methods aren't straightforward. In the East African region, we call them by Skype to log a ticket. You can follow up to get an engineer, but it's time-consuming. You can't get something immediately if you need it.

You contact the person in charge of registering the ticket. They put it in the queue and assign it to an engineer. It would be easier if you could log the tickets online or have support engineers online to attend to customers.

PowerVault is easy to set up. I rate PowerVault 10 out of 10 for ease of setup. It doesn't require a lot of maintenance because it's a simple solution. It can be used as disk-attached storage theoretically. You can use it as a server or connect it to the SAN, so it's a simple solution.

PowerVault starts at $15,000, but it's $25,000 on average, and you pay 10 percent annually based on the size of the area. I rate PowerVault eight out of 10 for affordability.

What other advice do I have?

I rate PowerVault eight out of 10.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integrator Reseller
    Cisco MDS Series vs. Dell PowerVault
    September 2022
    632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Radu Zgarcea - PeerSpot reviewer
    General Manager at Move IT Smart
    Good performance, stable, and well-priced
    • "The most valuable features are stability and response time."
    • "I would like to see improvements made to the user interface."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Dell EMC PowerVault is one of the products that we implement for our customers. The primary use is high available solutions, such as Hyper-V clusters or VMware clusters.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are stability and response time. Every time I need to use this product, I get a timely response.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements made to the user interface.

We have been using Dell EMC PowerVault for approximately ten years.

I like Dell as a brand because the products are stable.

I don't usually have the need to contact technical support. I do remember one incident between six and eight years ago where they and Symantec together provided support for a problem. It was a Dell PowerVault TL2000 and Backup Exec from Symantec (now known as Veritas Backup Exec).

When it comes to supporting our customers, they contact us. I like this because the customers are close to me and we can work on the problem ourselves.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We provide this to our customers as a complete solution. We implement the product and then we support them after the implementation is complete.

I think that it's the right price for this type of equipment. It is important to remember that the retail price may seem high, but the final price is usually different.

What other advice do I have?

We are not using the most current version, so I am not fully aware of what the current features are. As such, at the moment, I cannot recommend it one way or another to people. That said, in my experience with the version that I am using, I definitely recommend it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Emir Erkara - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Coordinator at HMY
    Easy to use and manage, good support, and reasonably-priced
    • "The most valuable feature of this solution is that it is easy to manage and easy to use."
    • "In the next release, I would like the deduplication and compression included, as well as the flash technology. It doesn't currently use it."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for local software, which we use for the production of local ERPs that we use on-premises.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Deduplication and compression is an area that needs development. This is currently not on the device.

We have been using this solution since February 2014. It's been more than six years.

We have not had any issues, but I cannot say that it is very secure. We do not use any security protocols, but we have not had any issues with security.

The scalability is not flexible.

We have approximately 150 users, who are using this solution in our organization.

We are satisfied with technical support.

The initial setup was easy and straightforward.

It's made by the technicians, which made it easy.

The price is reasonable and we are satisfied with it.

What other advice do I have?

I could not recommend this solution to others, because the technology is old. There are other Dell models that I would recommend, but not this one.

I would rate Dell EMC PowerVault an eight out of ten.

Samr Momani - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Director at Essra hospital
    A good storage option that's stable and reliable
    • "The solution is reliable and stable."
    • "We need higher performance and more reliable storage."

What is our primary use case?

We are a hospital in Jordan, I'm the IT director and we are end users of this solution.

What is most valuable?

We have this solution running almost all the time and it's very reliable and stable.

What needs improvement?

I'll need to replace Dell soon because it's almost obsolete and considered old technology. If I continued using it, I'd need to increase its capacity. We need higher performance and more reliable storage. It's considered an expensive solution in Jordan, it would be better if the price could be reduced.

I've been using this solution for nearly eight years.

This solution is stable and scalable but it's fallen behind our needs.

We had some performance issues after our initial setup and they managed to resolve all the problems. I haven't needed to contact support since then.

The initial setup is not that straightforward. It involves SAN switches and some setup procedure that are a little complex.

Licensing fees are expensive - whether that's specifically in Jordan, I'm not sure.

What other advice do I have?

If this solution is within your means as a storage option then I would recommend it.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Pre-sale and Post-sale Engineer at a reseller with 201-500 employees
    Entry-level storage solution with good replication and tiered storage

What is our primary use case?

My primary uses are virtualization and general-purpose workloads.

What is most valuable?

The features I've found most valuable are replication and tiered storage.

What needs improvement?

PowerVault could be improved by increasing its memory cache capacity and adding the ability to export data to the cloud.

I have been using this solution for a year.

PowerVault is stable.

Dell's technical support is excellent.

The initial setup was easy and simple.

What other advice do I have?

PowerVault is an entry-level model for customers needing their first storage solution. I would rate this solution as ten out of ten.