D-Link Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

D-Link Ethernet Switches is the #14 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give D-Link Ethernet Switches an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. D-Link Ethernet Switches is most commonly compared to NETGEAR Switches: D-Link Ethernet Switches vs NETGEAR Switches. D-Link Ethernet Switches is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 44% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 22% of all views.

Download the Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is D-Link Ethernet Switches?
Typically managed using a browser-based Graphical User Interface (GUI), D-Link Ethernet Switches are attractively priced and support an essential set of Layer 2/2+ switching functions including VLAN, Link Aggregation, QoS, Bandwidth Limiting, Access Control Lists, and more.
D-Link Ethernet Switches Customers
George Mason University, Somerville House, Hiperwall, New Brunswick School District 16, The Fulcrum Group, Bremond Independent School District, University of Texas Health Science Center, Grand Canyon Skywalk, SUN Area Career & Technology Center, Abington Senior High School
D-Link Ethernet Switches Video

D-Link Ethernet Switches Pricing Advice

What users are saying about D-Link Ethernet Switches pricing:
  • "They were cheap. We were not paying for any license."
  • "These units vary in price from $200 to one thousand dollars. They're available for a one-time purchase."
  • "This product is very affordable, especially compared to Cisco."
  • "The price of D-Link Ethernet Switches is in the 4,000 to 5,000 rupees or 65 to 100 USD range. The price of the solution is not expensive."
  • "There is not a license required for this solution and it is priced well."
  • D-Link Ethernet Switches Reviews

System Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Easy to set up, stable, and offers reasonable pricing
    • "The product is simple to manage."
    • "The solution needs better local support."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for a switch, and it's often chosen due to its general affordability.

What is most valuable?

The solution's pricing is very reasonable.

The product has the capability of connecting switches and also 10 gig ports, which is very economical for any kind of business. If you find, say, a model in Cisco, the price would be double for the same features.

The solution is stable.

It's easy to set up.

The solution can scale if necessary.

It's easy for us to provide a demo to clients for a couple of weeks if they would like to try out the product.

The product is simple to manage.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs better local support. The SLA needs to be better.

I work with the solution from time to time. Sometimes we continuously work on D-link, and sometimes there is a pause for three or four months. In total, it's likely been a few years at this point.

November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about D-Link, Netgear, Cisco and others in Ethernet Switches. Updated: November 2022.
    655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability has been pretty good so far. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. it's very reliable and the performance is good.

Typically the solution is used in medium-sized companies. Hotels, for example, are a typical client, as they have a limited budget for this type of technology.

The solution can scale if the company needs it to.

As service providers, we are able to provide support to our clients.

The local support needs to be better. If we have expert engineers in the local market, it would be helpful. For example, while I cannot disclose and sales details, when Cisco gave us our switch, there was a little bit of end customer to support from them at that particular time. During that particular time, if the customer sees any problem, Cisco would mitigate that problem. I don't know if D-link has the same SLA type or not. Right now, it seems that the support just isn't as good as Cisco and what they offer upfront.

I haven't required any technical support from D-link as it's easy to manage for a technical person. It wouldn't be easy for a typical end-user, however, we can provide support.

We also work with Cisco or Juniper switches. Typically the solution we go with is chosen by the client.

The initial setup is better than other switches as it has a multiple-degree interface. The CLI is just one. Not all the switches have a degree interface, whereas most of the D-link switches do, at least, in terms of the managed switches.

We provide maintenance and support to our clients as needed.

We help our clients implement the switches. We do the initial setups for them as needed.

D-link switches have a better price as compared to other brands. This is its edge in the market. The affordability is great.

What other advice do I have?

Our company does not have a business relationship with D-Link.

I have a model in D-link and DGST6C0S, and this is a 48-volt switch.

The version of the switches depends on the customer. We don't always work with the latest version. It depends on the customer's requirements.

This is the best solution as compared to other options - and that includes Juniper, Cisco, and NETGEAR. Out of those, D-link is the better one.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Projects Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Easy to set up with fair pricing and good performance
    • "The initial setup is straightforward."
    • "They need to have some more high-end switches."

What is our primary use case?

We are selling this solution to our clients. They use it for switches and WiFi.

What is most valuable?

The product just works and it is fairly cost-effective. They have good stability and they're also good on the pocket. On the switches, for the application that we deploy them for, we find they're okay. For the simple networks, they just work fine.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The solution doesn't really have any weak points.

They need to have some more high-end switches. It would be great to have a few different options. If they can introduce a line that is almost equivalent to the Cisco 9300 or thereabouts. I'm talking about that type of class.

We've used the solution for a very long time. We've dealt with it since the beginning of our company.

The solution is stable and the performance is quite good. For all the deployments that we've done, we've not had any issues in terms of performance. They work well. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We have more than ten clients using the solution.

Most of the time, we are able to support our clients just fine on our own. It's only occasionally when we need to get down to firmware from their website and in most cases, we're able to get help as we need it.

We've also used Cisco in the past. We've used both products for quite a while.

We've used some HP switches, however, we haven't used them very much. We've only dealt with a few.

The initial setup is very straightforward and simple. We didn't find the process to be overly complex or difficult.

Usually, the deployment doesn't take very long. It's a quick implementation.

We've done deployments in the past for our clients.

The price of the product is quite reasonable.

Most of the solutions we have do not have any licensing requirements. You just buy the product.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers.

I normally recommend the solution to any user who wants a good switch which is not very expensive. Like Cisco, I always recommend it.

I'd rate the product at an eight out of ten.

November 2022
    655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Pierre Claver B Traore - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head, IT Division at USTTB
    Simple, cheap, and easy to configure, but should be more stable
    • "These switches are simple and easy to configure."
    • "They could be more stable. They were not as resistant as Cisco. After some time, some of them failed. This could be because we import quite a lot of products from different horizons, so there is no guarantee of quality. In Africa, these products don't always directly come from the manufacturer. We get these products from the Middle East or Asia. Therefore, you cannot be sure that the quality is exactly similar to what you have in Europe or America."

What is most valuable?

These switches are simple and easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

They could be more stable. They were not as resistant as Cisco. After some time, some of them failed. This could be because we import quite a lot of products from different horizons, so there is no guarantee of quality. In Africa, these products don't always directly come from the manufacturer. We get these products from the Middle East or Asia. Therefore, you cannot be sure that the quality is exactly similar to what you have in Europe or America.

We used these switches for a couple of years.

We had small switches, and they didn't give us much trouble. After some time, some of them failed, but this could be because we import quite a lot of products from different places, so there is no guarantee of quality.

We had 50 users of this solution.

We don't always have a direct representative of these brands in Africa. We have a few companies that import the equipment and sell them, but we don't have the same kind of technical support that you get in Europe, America, or Asia. We rely more on our own technical staff when there are problems.  When we cannot solve a problem, we have to put them aside and buy new equipment.

We are now using Cisco switches. We used the small models of D-Link Ethernet Switches, but they were replaced with Cisco switches. D-Link Ethernet Switches are not as sophisticated and resistant as Cisco switches.

They are easy to install. It takes less than 20 minutes.

They were cheap. We were not paying for any license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend these switches. We choose solutions based on what we have in the market. We don't focus on any specific brand. It depends on factors like the funds available, the trend in the market, and the availability of the product. We don't always have Cisco available in this market, and when that's the case, we may go for some other brand. This is mainly due to the situation of our own computer equipment market. It has been quite some time since I last saw D-Link in the market because we have not been buying switches.

I would rate D-Link Ethernet Switches a seven out of ten.

CEO & Co-Founder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Provide great security and ease of configuration
    • "I can't find anything wrong with our D-Link Ethernet Switches."

What is our primary use case?

We use an older model, but they've been good as they've lasted all of these years.

We use them for general use. There is nothing specific about them. They're suitable for small to medium-sized businesses. From my experience, big corporations don't use them.

The ones we currently use are unmanaged. We plan to migrate to managed switches in the near future. Security is the biggest thing I'm looking at.

What is most valuable?

The best features are the ease of configuration, how easy they are to play with, and the security features, as well.

What needs improvement?

I would say they do exactly what they're supposed to do. The two models that I've got are just fantastic. Amongst the others, some others were decommissioned just because we went to newer stuff, but I can't find anything wrong with our D-Link Ethernet Switches.

D-Link has been part of our business structure for at least five to ten years.

Stability-wise, I would give them a rating of 10 out of 10.

I would say so they are scalable. We used and purchased channels according to our needs. They are reliable. Even though we have more channels than we need, more ports, we can substitute them on a smaller setup. Although we don't use all the ports, we can move these to a tougher setup. So scalability-wise, I think it's great.

I did use TRENDnet and Netgear, but because of the availability of the product, the price, and the fact that they have a great history surrounding reliability, we chose to go with D-Link.

The initial setup is very easy — plug and play and it works all the time.

These units vary in price from $200 to one thousand dollars. They're available for a one-time purchase.

They're very competitive. I think they have an array of products that meet any price range. They have cheaper ones, and they have more expensive ones. I believe the unmanaged ones are very affordable.

What other advice do I have?

D-Link Ethernet Switches are worth it. The easier the configuration is the better it'll be. Just make sure they meet security best practices and standards.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give D-Link Ethernet Switches a rating of nine — they're top picks.

DivyeshDesai - PeerSpot reviewer
      AVP IT at Bhilosa Industries P.Ltd.
      Cost-effective, but the throughput is low and the interface is not user-friendly
      • "The initial setup is straightforward."
      • "The technical support needs a lot of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is networking within our company.

What is most valuable?

The best part about these switches is that they are cost-effective.

What needs improvement?

The throughput on D-Link Switches is pretty low.

The interface is not very user-friendly. This is unlike Meraki switches, for example, which have a graphical-based interface (GUI).

I have been working with D-Link Ethernet Switches for approximately eight years.

These switches tend to heat up and occasionally hang. Overall, however, this is a stable product. I would rate this stability a four out of five.

We are a very large company with approximately 12,000 employees. Perhaps 1,500 of them use this product. They work in a variety of roles in all categories from the top to the bottom of the organizational hierarchy.

The technical support needs a lot of improvement.

I would rate the technical support a three out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

I also work with Cisco Ethernet Switches.

The data throughput is low on D-Link Ethernet switches but they are more affordable than Cisco.

Originally, we primarily used the Cisco 9000 series. However, with a lower budget, we switched to using D-Link Ethernet Switches.

I also have experience with Meraki switches. They are more user-friendly and have a GUI.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It took more than two months to complete our deployment, as we have a large organization.

My team was responsible for the deployment.

Only one or two people are required for maintenance.

We were able to achieve ROI within four years.

This product is very affordable, especially compared to Cisco. One a scale of one to five, I would rate the cost a five.

This is a one-time purchase with no recurring licensing fees. Technical support and all of the features are included.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is that for companies on a budget, this is a good ethernet switch.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Scalable, simple setup, but stability could improve
      • "The initial setup of D-Link Ethernet Switches is very easy."
      • "The D-Link Ethernet Switches have to be replaced because they are difficult to manage and security is poor. They should add centralized manageability to make the solution better, it will allow administrators to better know what is happening on the network."

What is our primary use case?

D-Link Ethernet Switches are used for connecting LAN devices for conductivity. In our organization, we have each LAN having approximately 20 PCs attached.

What needs improvement?

The D-Link Ethernet Switches have to be replaced because they are difficult to manage and security is poor. They should add centralized manageability to make the solution better, it will allow administrators to better know what is happening on the network.

I have been using D-Link Ethernet Switches for approximately 15 years.

The stability of D-Link Ethernet Switches has decreased over 10 years. There can be some hanging and restarting issues.

D-Link Ethernet Switches are a scalable solution.

We have approximately 500 to 600 users using the solution. The users are from all engineering departments, including the administration department.

After using D-Link Ethernet Switches for a substantial amount of time we had to replace the power supply unit and if they were not able to be replaced we throw out the unit. However, we did not contact the support.

The initial setup of D-Link Ethernet Switches is very easy.

I rate the setup of D-Link Ethernet Switches a five out of five.

The price of D-Link Ethernet Switches is in the 4,000 to 5,000 rupees or 65 to 100 USD range. The price of the solution is not expensive.

I rate the price of D-Link Ethernet Switches a three out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I am looking for another solution to better protect us against both security and DDoS attacks. Huawei and Cisco devices are better.

I rate D-Link Ethernet Switches a seven out of ten.

System Administrative Engineer at Orbit Techsol
      Stability is poor, and distribution at the core is not good

What is our primary use case?

If we want to use an E-switch traffic flow, we use the leaf-spine architecture with 9300 Nexus switches. On the other hand, if we need normal data for a campus network enterprise level, we use the 6500, 4000 or 6000 series. We use these switches for only the access layer.

What needs improvement?

This solution is not good for distribution at the core.

We have been using this solution for 25 years. We use layer three and two architecture. It includes all kinds of solutions. We also use the leaf-spine architecture, where we use the Nexus. It is deployed on-premises.

The scalability is not good and could be better.

The technical support could be faster.

The initial setup was very easy and user-friendly. Because we use it for only the access layer, it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to deploy.

The pricing is good. Most enterprise customers prefer Cisco or Juniper switches because they have better scalability and reliability. But most customers use D-Link Ethernet Switches because it is cheaper. The licensing cost is also very low.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a three out of ten. I would recommend this solution to a company with a small budget, but if they have extra funds, there are better solutions like Cisco, Juniper or Aruba.

Science Technician at a government with 201-500 employees
      Easy to use, straightforward installation, but could be more secure

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to expand our network from different departments and we use fiber to make this connection.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, the solution could improve by being more secure and allowing the configuration of each port.

I have been using D-Link Ethernet Switches for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable and I have not had an issue since using it.

D-Link Ethernet Switches is scalable.

We have approximately 400 users using this solution in my organization.

The installation is simple, it takes approximately 10 minutes. All you need to do is install the equipment, connect the power, and network cable. It is mostly plug and play, you do not need to configure it.

I did the implementation myself. We have a team of eight that does the maintenance.

There is not a license required for this solution and it is priced well.

I have evaluated Cisco Switches.

What other advice do I have?

I rate D-Link Ethernet Switches a seven out of ten.

Download our free Ethernet Switches Report and find out what your peers are saying about D-Link, Netgear, Cisco, and more!
      Updated: November 2022