CylancePROTECT OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

CylancePROTECT is the #22 ranked solution in endpoint security software. PeerSpot users give CylancePROTECT an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. CylancePROTECT is most commonly compared to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint: CylancePROTECT vs Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. CylancePROTECT is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 53% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
CylancePROTECT Buyer's Guide

Download the CylancePROTECT Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is CylancePROTECT?

Blackberry Protect is a next generation artificial intelligence (AI) based endpoint protection platform (EPP) that prevents breaches and provides added controls for safeguarding against sophisticated cyberthreats. It uses predictive analysis to quickly and accurately find even the most advanced threats before they ever take place. Blackberry Protect’s cloud-based supercomputer mines hundreds of millions of files from all over the cloud, allowing it to predict and stop any hacker dead in their tracks.

Blackberry Protect runs on a lightweight agent and requires no internet connection. Instead of taking up massive amounts of computing power, it typically requires less than 1% of a system’s available computing resources. In addition, it only needs to be upgraded if the model is improved, which means that you can run it on your local servers and have constant and uninterrupted access to it.

Benefits of Blackberry Protect

Some of the benefits of using Blackberry Protect include:

• The use of advanced AI analytics to provide extremely fast protection. The solution scans any and all applications that attempt to execute commands in your system. If it determines that the application is a threat, then it will respond to the threatening action within milliseconds. The anti-viral software will cancel or disallow any actions that the application attempts to initiate.
  • Minimizing of potential threats by cutting off the access of unauthorized devices. Blackberry Protect allows users to determine which devices are allowed to run on their network. It enforces the security rules that your system administrators set and denies hackers the ability to penetrate your system through unapproved devices.
  • Uses less computing power while still providing your system with a robust level of protection. Blackberry Protect runs on a lightweight agent that requires you to devote a fraction of the computing power that similar solutions require. This ensures that your system does not have to sacrifice security for processing power.

Reviews from Real Users

The Blackberry Protect software stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are the artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms that the solution uses to detect and deal with threats and the ability to scale your level of protection according to your needs.

PeerSpot user Donald D., the owner of Terra Controls, notes the value of having both artificial intelligence and machine learning in a single product when he writes, “The most valuable feature is the AI and ML-based virus protection that does not rely on signature-based detection methods. The way this product works is that it does not go to a central server to pick up the latest virus definitions. Instead, it's a processor-powered search that checks to see if anything out of the ordinary is running on your machine. It looks for anomalies and cancels processes that do not look normal. For example, if a program tries to read the registry and then make a change, but it hasn't been authorized, then it is assumed to be a bad actor and the process is canceled or the action is disallowed.”

PeerSpot user Orlando B., Head of Systems at SKN Caribecafe Ltda, noted how this program is not a one-size-fits-all solution when he writes, “The solution is very good at quickly and easily changing the levels of protection for each computer and server. It's very easy to control and to see what is happening with each computer. It's very easy to choose which computer I can look at and check.”

CylancePROTECT was previously known as Blackberry Protect.

CylancePROTECT Customers

Panasonic, Noble Energy, Apria Healthcare Group Inc., Charles River Laboratories, Rovi Corporation, Toyota, Kiewit

CylancePROTECT Video

Archived CylancePROTECT Reviews (more than two years old)

Gordon Powell - PeerSpot reviewer
OT Cyber Security Principal Consultant at Jacobs Engineering Group Inc.
An outstanding product that is pretty spot on and easy to deploy and use
  • "The non-daily requirement to update signatures is the most valuable feature. From a functional point of view, it is pretty spot on. For instance, we compared an algorithm from five years ago to today's algorithm, and it was 98% accurate. It has the ability to detect and mitigate. In the industrial environment that we work in, there's what we call OT versus IT. You are IT Central, but this is OT. Generally, we don't have the same level of skillset as IT individuals or IT professionals have. This particular product doesn't require you to be a computer scientist to be able to understand its proprietary algorithm and to be able to deploy, use, and work within it. It integrates well with a robust SIEM or SOAR solution, and it plays nice with others. We use other detection solutions like CyberX or site provision with Cisco, and it plays nice. That's one of the things we really liked about it."
  • "It could have integration with industrial base HMIS or Human Machine Interfaces Solutions. This is the industrial environment where you have a control center for all the automation that's happening, whether it is oil, gas, or chemical manufacturing. They often have to set up a computer at the back and watch the other stuff to get alerts. In these autonomous or on-premises environments, they often don't have access to email readily. Integration with other industrial solutions, such as HMIS, will allow them to communicate and get an alert that something has been found. This way, they can react to it sooner than having somebody watch the screen and keep checking the screen. Rockwell has its own suite. Similarly, Honeywell has its own suite. There's also an independent HMI/historian solution provider out there called VTSCADA. We actually get asked if we can get it to show up on a screen, which is difficult. Getting those alerts to work within an industrial environment would be a huge plus."

What is our primary use case?

I direct our design and engineering teams, and we craft solutions for on-premises or autonomous networks in the industrial industry, such as oil and gas, water, and manufacturing.

We use this solution as a layered defense for the defense strategy for our on-premises clients. An attractive thing about this solution is that it uses AI official algorithms to not only discover known stuff but also to discover anomalous behavior and things that are out of the ordinary. It is not just signature-based; it is an algorithm or AI and machine learning.

How has it helped my organization?

From an administrative overhead point of view, there is a 75% reduction in administrating the solution.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It could have integration with industrial base HMIS or Human Machine Interfaces Solutions. This is the industrial environment where you have a control center for all the automation that's happening, whether it is oil, gas, or chemical manufacturing. They often have to set up a computer at the back and watch the other stuff to get alerts. In these autonomous or on-premises environments, they often don't have access to email readily. Integration with other industrial solutions, such as HMIS, will allow them to communicate and get an alert that something has been found. This way, they can react to it sooner than having somebody watch the screen and keep checking the screen. Rockwell has its own suite. Similarly, Honeywell has its own suite. There's also an independent HMI/historian solution provider out there called VTSCADA. We actually get asked if we can get it to show up on a screen, which is difficult. Getting those alerts to work within an industrial environment would be a huge plus.

CylancePROTECT
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about CylancePROTECT. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for about a year and a half.

It has been rock solid. We haven't had any hiccups in terms of compatibilities and server uptime. Everything, such as application and reliability, is there. It is very strong.

It scales extremely well. We're on the low end of the quantity, but it scales up into tens of thousands very easily.

We have the ability to go right into critical because of our partnership level with them. Their support has been exemplary.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. Our guys are trained up in it.

What other advice do I have?

They like to see licensing at a higher level. That's not the norm for on-premises economist environments in the industrial industry. If you're an integrator versus an end user, they like to look at the quantity. Even though they like to start at quantities less than a thousand, it is cumulative. I've got a thousand clients at a hundred, so now I've got a 100,000. Therefore, don't let the scalability, where they like to play in tens of thousands, dissuade you from incorporating this product.

It is quite different from the standard signature-based approach to endpoint protection. At first, you're a little worried because you're so used to staying on top of it or having to stay on top of it versus building a level of trust that it is actually working, and I don't need to mother it.

I would rate CylancePROTECT a nine out of ten. I'll never give anybody a ten because that's a perfect world, and we don't live in a perfect world. This rating is based on my experience with Cylance from the onset, learning the product, working with it to roll it out, working independently, and interfacing with the client. It has been very outstanding.

VP at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Lightweight, good support, and the protection against Word macros and scripts is helpful
  • "The most valuable features are script blocking and macros within Word documents for stopping unwanted applications from running in the background."
  • "The process of whitelisting a script that you want to be able to run can be a little bit difficult, or awkward."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers and CylancePROTECT is one of the products that we offer to our customers.

The standard configuration is an agent that is deployed to every workstation. It protects against malware, scripting, and other threats using its built-in AI business logic.

The dashboard is good.

There is not too much overhead, which is good because you don't want unnecessary things that just build in bulk.

What needs improvement?

The process of whitelisting a script that you want to be able to run can be a little bit difficult, or awkward. Some enhancements to this process would be an improvement.

I have been working with CylancePROTECT for about three years.

The stability is very good.

This is a scalable product. About 600 people in our organization use it.

I have not personally been in contact with technical support. However, we do have a support ticket, the odd time, and I would say that the support is good.

The initial setup is very easy.

The management platform is in the cloud and there is an agent on each device.

We have an in-house team that deploys this product for our customers.

This cost of the license is approximately $5 USD monthly per user.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

CylancePROTECT
December 2022
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Vice President Operations at a construction company with 11-50 employees
Easy to manage and deploy with a single-pane-of-glass to manage threats and updates
  • "You can manage all the threats and everything from a centralized dashboard."
  • "It provides good insight into the programs, applications, or websites that may need attention."
  • "It is extremely simple to manage and deploy."
  • "The product does not do a lot of reporting on what it is taking care of. Enhanced reporting would be a welcome improvement."

What is our primary use case?

CylancePROTECT came packaged with our HR and IT management system, which was a selling point. It allows us to ensure that every single computer is always up to date as far as vulnerability protection and we can manage all the threats and everything from a centralized dashboard.

How has it helped my organization?

We can see what is going on and that really allows us to have good insight into the programs that we should be working on, the applications or websites that may need attention — those type things. That insight has been a real positive for us so far.

What is most valuable?

I think Cylance has just done a great job for us so far. I think that is the headliner for our experience with the product. The computer interface really has next to nothing on it, which is nice. You see what you need to see and there are really no distractions or extra noise.

We have not had anything major come up that the product has not handled — at least not that we have known of. There have been a total of zero issues.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a little bit of additional reporting or insight as to what it is doing exactly. I do not think I need anything else included in the next release that I know of. Honestly, just improvement in the reporting would be good enough.

I have been using Cylance PROTECT for two or three months.

The stability of CylancePROTECT is great.

The scalability of CylancePROTECT is very good. We have about 15 staff members in your organization currently using the product on a variety of devices.

I have not had to call technical support during the time we have been using the product because we have had zero issues.

We did use other products before CylancePROTECT. I used Kaspersky Internet Security for a long time before we moved over to CylancePROTECT. We used Kaspersky Internet Security because it was a great fit for us.

In comparison, the only thing that I would say about Kaspersky is that sometimes on startup it would kind of slow the computer down a bit. It took up a lot of resources. It would just last for a short period of time on startup and then that would be it. Everything would return to normal.

The other thing was that, as a growing company, it was difficult to manage all the installs. To make sure that Kaspersky was provisioned out to every computer and that it was always up to date made for a little more maintenance than seemed necessary. That extra maintenance was really what influenced our decision to move over to the CylancePROTECT product.

The initial installation and setup are straightforward.

We did use a reseller for our initial deployment.

I believe the product cost is about $5, per user, per month.

What other advice do I have?

CylancePROTECT is going to tell you if there are any issues and you are going to be able to see everything from one single dashboard. If there are any issues on any computers across your whole architecture you will know about it.

If there were advice that I would give to someone thinking about working with CylancePROTECT, I would just say it is extremely — extremely — simple to manage and deploy.

On a scale of one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate CylancePROTECT as a ten-out-of-ten as per our experience with it thus far.

Hybrid Cloud
Security Domain Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Great protection against unauthorized applications but user interface is somewhat outdated
  • "It secures different entry points into the network."
  • "The user interface is outdated."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the solution is for endpoint security. It protects your computer or any other device from any malware, APT or spyware. We are customers and I'm the security domain architect of the company.

What is most valuable?

What is valuable to me is the protection the solution provides against unauthorized applications. It secures different entry points into the network so that instead of being outside the internet, it's actually in the network and helps to protect internally.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, it's very outdated. The solution could also do with more help actions and explanations such as what has been identified, things like that.

I've been using this solution for four years.

The stability of the solution is awesome.

This is a very scalable solution and easy to deploy. We have about 2,500 users in the company which is pretty much everybody.

I would say it's really good because I've only had to use it once. The product is really low maintenance and easy to configure. So I really haven't had to do very much.

We moved over to this solution because it was more advanced at being able to identify how the malware is going to attack or how it's going to interfere with the operating system. There are just more tools to help security at the end point.

I wasn't involved in the setup, we have an IT department that deals with that. They were replacing another solution with this and the roll out took about a year to get to all the end users.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anyone thinking about implementing the solution to go through a testing phase and see how the solution interacts with the users and cost out the employee population of the company. I've had this experience in another company and sometimes when you roll out a new product it can really change the way users work, sometimes negatively, and it can impact the business.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Technology Specialist at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Innovative concept with good detection, scans, and machine learning
  • "Has good RAM capacity for the power I need"
  • "It should have better support for Windows and Mac."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for protection.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are that it's:

• Easy to use
  • Minimalist
  • Has good RAM capacity for the power I need.
  • Isn't bulky.

What needs improvement?

It should have better support for Windows and Mac.

I have been using Cylance for one year.

It's stable.

I haven't needed to scale. I use this solution daily.

I have used other free products.

You can't directly compare those solutions with Cylance because they're free products and Cylance is paid. It's not good to compare them.

I had a virus attack and malware on my PC even when I used the free solutions. I don't think it works. Those solutions were very bad. They did not have good detection. You can't rely on them because they're not paid for.

The initial setup was easy. It took around an hour and a half. We deployed it ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution is that it's a popular product and you should really go for it. Cylance is a new company with a very innovative concept. I really like its detection, its scans, and the machine learning.

I would recommend this solution. I'd rate Cylance a nine out of ten.

Donald Dindial - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at Terra Controls
Proactive AI-based security that scales as we need it
  • "Two or three years ago when the WannaCry virus struck, the people that were on Cylance were the ones that weren't affected."
  • "I would like to see them fix the alerting system so that the endpoint reporting is a bit more streamlined."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the security products that we implement for our customers. My biggest customers are two pharmacies and a bank and this makes up part of their security solution.

How has it helped my organization?

We have not had any data breaches. It has found flaws inside of our security procedures that enabled us to close the holes.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of false positives and it takes up a lot of time. This is something that should be improved.

The vendor should be more widely advertising this product because not many people know that these types of solutions exist.

I have been using Cylance for about a year.

The stability is perfect. It is leaps and bounds beyond our previous solution by McAfee.

It is scalable. From what we were told, we're going to keep on adding more licenses. The only thing that we might have to do is increase the capacity of the VM.

We were using McAfee first, and as of last year, we switched to Cylance. McAfee is not a proactive solution. McAfee's support and everything were fine, but the Cylance product is used by the G7 countries the most. The company has a good standing.

Two or three years ago when the WannaCry virus struck, the people that were on Cylance were the ones that weren't affected. That was enough for us to switch.

We engage with Cylance Professional Services, so there was not much need for input from our side. From our point of view, the initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The software is installed on a VM and we have about 70 machines in total. The deployment took about two days.

For my financial client, I was a consultant. They have their own IT team and I acted as the intermediary.

We paid according to the number of endpoints that we have and it was approximately the same that we were paying for McAfee. The monthly fee is $55 USD per user.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think too much about the features when it comes to an antivirus solution, such as this. When you try to combine too much into one product, you end up affecting the product as a whole. If you're a home user then it's great because you only pay once a year and it does everything including the antivirus, firewall, VPN, internet security, and more. However, when you're in an SMB or an SME installation, all of those things are decentralized.

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to switch if you have the money put aside. I would suggest using Professional Services to assist with the migration.

Head of IT Operations at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Lightweight, does not require constant updates, and we have great trust in what it delivers
  • "The Application Guard and ByteGuard are useful features."
  • "The OPTICS component could be made more user-friendly with respect to giving people more information."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using CylancePROTECT and CyclanceOPTICS.

Our primary use case is an anti-virus solution.

It is deployed globally throughout the organization.

What is most valuable?

Cylance is quite lightweight and does not require constant updates.

The Application Guard and ByteGuard are useful features.

What needs improvement?

There are some issues that we have around our configuration, so I think that more training with respect to setup and configuration would be helpful.

I have been using Cylance for the past year and it has been in the organization for a couple of years.

This solution is very stable.

Cylance scales very well both on clients and servers. We have between 4,000 and 5,000 users.

I have not personally been in touch with technical support, but I know that when we have contacted them about anything in the past, they've been very responsive. Our account management team is very good, as well.

The company did use another solution prior to Cylance, but I don't know what it was.

The initial setup is very straightforward and the deployment took a few days.

We got a hold of the installation files and deployed them ourselves.

I think that the price we are paying is good for what it is. It could always be cheaper, but cheaper doesn't make it better.

What other advice do I have?

Cylance is a product that I recommend trying. It is different from the traditional products that are out there like Symantec, McAfee, and Sophos.

This technology is very good, very stable, and we have great trust in it and what it delivers. They also do health checks from time to time and they help, which is useful.

This solution works well but there is always room for improvement. Nothing is perfect.

C.J. Oosthuizen - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of Cloud Services and Projects at Grove
Solution has picked up files that other platforms don't plus it uses machine learning and AI protection
  • "The solution is extremely scalable. It's got the hybrid functionality, it's got the system functionality and cloud functionality as well."
  • "I would say one thing that they might need to bring in is protection for mobile devices."

What is our primary use case?

We did a POC with Cylance, Bitdefender and ESAT. Cylance picked up Zero-Day Malware that the other two solutions did not quarantine.

How has it helped my organization?

With no on-premise hardware required, we easily deployed the Cylance solutions to our end-points. The Cylance Admin console is web-based and it's easy to create custom policies, add zones and manage all our end-points all in the same admin portal.

What is most valuable?

The protection, specifically for endpoint protection, has been the most valuable. With Cylance AI and Machine Learning, it's ensuring that all types of malware, PUP (Potential Unwanted Programs) and Memory Protection your endpoint devices are fully protected, even with day zero threats. Cylance also got the optics add-on for advance scanning and reporting, but most of the clients are more interested in the protection as this is all you need for your endpoint security.

What needs improvement?

To be honest, I think the product is, overall, quite good. It's working with AI Technology and machine learning that is connected to the Cylance Infinity Cloud. It picked up malicious files that other vendors didn't. It's actually been great on its own. Cylance is also launching mobile protection in 2020. At the moment the Cylance agent supports Windows, Mac OS and Linux devices, but they do not have an app for Android and IOS yet.

I've been using the solution for 2-3 months.

The solution is really stable. We use the solution for small and medium-sized enterprises.

The solution is extremely scalable. It's got the hybrid functionality, it's got the system functionality, and cloud functionality as well.

The technical support is really great. We are working hand in hand with them.

The initial setup is easy. You have the option to install the endpoint client on all Windows devices, Mac OS and supported Linux OS. For Windows devices, you can download the exe file, or the MSI file for installation via Group policies to roll out on multiple endpoints at the same time.

What other advice do I have?

You can obviously get in touch with a partner (Grove Group) like us, and we can arrange a POC for your business. While we're dealing with the POC, it will showcase the product and how valuable the product is for your business. Plus, it will actually show what defective files it's picking up in real-time. You can do a side by side comparison while you're running Cylance with your existing endpoint protection to see the difference in protection. You can see exactly what Cylance does pick up on both the endpoint device and the admin console. I also love the fact that the en-point software is not using a lot of resources on the client. I would say you should take the opportunity and run a POC and evaluate the software and you'll notice with the web interface, the admin dashboard on the website, how easy it is to work with Cylance and protect your endpoints. You don't need any on-prem servers to run the endpoints software. Go and experience Cylance and see how AI and Machine Learning is the future to protect your Business.

I would rate the solution as a 10 out of 10.

Other
Co-Founder, CEO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Nice management display, easy to install, and works satisfactorily for standard protection
  • "On the management side, we liked the way it displays things."
  • "It should provide more details about the events that they have detected."

What is our primary use case?

We are part of a startup company that is operating in the same domain as this solution, so we tested it as part of the competition.

What is most valuable?

On the management side, we liked the way it displays things.

What needs improvement?

The downside is that the information displayed is not enriched enough. There was not much information available, that we could see. It should provide more details about the events that they have detected. There should be more information available post-incident. Basically, the user is informed that they have caught a threat, stopped it, and that's it.

Users want to know what the threat was, the type of attack, how it got in, which IP address, did it go into lateral movement, etc. The kind of information that could be analyzed by IT experts to take forward and understand whether the attack is continuing, or not. They have some of this information but compared to other products, it's basic.

We tested this solution for about six months.

We did not thoroughly test its stability, but I can say that we didn't have any crashes or basic problems with it. In our tests, it did not crash, although we were focused on detecting threats as opposed to assessing stability.

We installed this solution for five users.

We did not contact technical support.

The initial setup and installation of this solution are quite straightforward. Just download from the management console and install it. It's easy.

We performed the installation ourselves.

We have evaluated many products. In fact, we tested most of them for our purposes of developing our own. Because we did a competitive analysis, we are keeping most of the information private. However, I can say that SentinelOne, CrowdStrike, and Carbon Black give you a lot more information than Cylance.

The majority of the leading solutions are quite good, and it's a tough market. For normal people, it is difficult to see the differences between them.

What other advice do I have?

The lack of details for the user is partly because of the way they detect. it is done passively, rather than dynamically, so they don't have a lot of information about the things that they already caught.

The suitability of this solution for any particular person will depend on their expectations. I would not rate this solution in the top five for things like presenting information, or ease of use. For standard protection they are ok, but if you have advanced demands, or a SOC, then I don't think that Cylance can compete with Carbon Black, CrowdStrike, or SentinelOne.

Andrew S. Baker (ASB) - PeerSpot reviewer
Andrew S. Baker (ASB)Cybersecurity & IT Operations Professional (VirtualCxO) at BrainWave Consulting Company, LLC

You make some good points, and I hope that we'll see Blackberry add to this area moving forward.

That said, there's quite a bit of info via CylanceOptics, and overall the system utilization is very low.

Wirtschaftsprüfer, CPA, Steuerberater at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Doesn't consume too many system resources
  • "The solution is stable."
  • "The solution needs better dashboards that are easier to use."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product as our antivirus solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's quite small, and does not consume too many system resources.

What needs improvement?

Improvements could be made on the user interface of the console. Also, right now it's just an antivirus and there's no firewall or anything. So we have to use the Windows firewall. It's a good firewall. But I think other companies have integrated products.

The solution needs better dashboards that are easier to use. Also, a better user interface. Maybe even firewall integration of some kind. It would be helpful if you could see which threats have been detected, and have more information about what is going on.

What I'm missing is a backup. In Norton, there was a backup included. In Cylance there is no backup, or at least no backup for the relevant system, programs, or software parts.

I've been using the solution for two months.

The solution is stable. It was no problem. All went quite well. There are no bugs or freezes.

Adding other computers wasn't a problem. Just send them the link and it works. We have about ten users.

Previously, we used Norton. We switched because Norton was very, very, heavy on consuming system resources. The computer itself was very, very slow and buggy. It took a lot of time for backup and things like that.

We would just add more if there are new users, but right now you just need one license for per user.

What other advice do I have?

You just have to download it from the Cylance website, so it's pretty easy. You have to be careful because if you have more firewalls you have to buy a separate product and the question is: How does it work with the firewall from a different vendor?

There should also be backup capability included.

I do, however, recommend the solution. I would rate this solution eight out of ten.

Andrew S. Baker (ASB) - PeerSpot reviewer

I prefer my host based Anti-Malware solution with no firewall. Most of the problems I have seen from other AV and similar products have involved the firewall. Different focus and expertise.

I do agree with the need for additional reporting, though.

IT Manager at TIGRA gmbh
A quick installation process but security scripting needs improvement
  • "The solution is pretty easy to scale."
  • "The security scripting needs improvement. It needs deeper security for scripting."

What is most valuable?

The quick installation would be the most valuable aspect of this solution. The interface is also not too bad.

What needs improvement?

Security is an issue because they don't get Powershell. They scan the usual software and they don't scan deeper. The security scripting needs improvement. It needs deeper security for scripting.

Also, more speed, less RAM, and less CPU.

I've been using the solution for 6 weeks.

The solution was stable. We have just ten test users from different departments.

The solution is pretty easy to scale.

I'd rate technical support as medium, because they couldn't answer everything we asked.

What other advice do I have?

We decided to switch to a different platform because we got the EDR and the scripting solution tool in one box. It was an end-point solution, so a scripting solution, plus cybersecurity.

For basic security, I would recommend Cylance. For advanced security, I wouldn't.

I would give the solution a rating of 6 out of 10.

Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Streamlines vulnerability data and makes it a lot easier to access and sift through it
  • "It handles situations that the other threat management tools wouldn't find. It has worked well covering the weaker sides of the other products that we're integrating."
  • "I would like to see a better UI in terms of sifting through more specific data and providing analytics. A little bit more would be nice."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is threat analytics and log management.

How has it helped my organization?

It streamlines the data and makes it a lot easier to access and sift through. The solution has also helped us a lot in terms of making threats a lot more obvious with our correlation manager. I estimate it has saved us 20 percent of what was our mean time to detect and respond to threats. It has also helped increase staff productivity.

We do vulnerability detection for our product's security and Cylance allows us to make our assessments a lot more accurate.

What is most valuable?

The vulnerability management is the most valuable feature of this solution.

It works really well.

We use it for really small cases. In terms of scalability, I have no opinion on it. It works on a small scale for us.

We've had pretty positive responses from technical support when we have reached out to them for assistance.

We went with this product because we were integrating a bunch of other vulnerability threat management solutions. It handles situations that the other threat management tools wouldn't find. It has worked well covering the weaker sides of the other products that we're integrating.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

We used an integrator for the deployment. Our experience with them was fine, smooth. It worked, integrating it with our VMs.

Our licensing cost for the solution is around $4,000 for six months. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

My co-worker planned out what threat tools we needed, and Cylance was one of them.

What other advice do I have?

It works well and covers a good number of the bases you need covered for general cybersecurity and vulnerability management.

I would rate it a nine out of ten for great usage and really good customer service if anything goes wrong.

Eric Rise - PeerSpot reviewer
Network & Security Engineer at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Endpoints are protected in real-time without the need of a centralized server
  • "​Centralized dashboard online which can be used for managing a huge product."
  • "Even if an endpoint loses connection to the Internet, I know that endpoint is protected against 99.99% of the threats in the wild today."
  • "Specifically for a Windows domain environment, the product can be customized and pushed via GPO or SCCM without issue.​"
  • "Endpoints are protected in real-time without the need of a centralized server."
  • "​Work on the math model. We are catching a lot of false positives, which gets to be a pain at the start of a deployment."

How has it helped my organization?

Rather than having to log onto a central server to manage the endpoint protection, I can log onto the dashboard to manage everything. No on-premise server required, chewing up resources needed for other tasks and projects. Endpoints are protected in real-time without the need of a centralized server, whitelist, or the ability to connect to a central host in the cloud. Even if an endpoint loses connection to the Internet, I know that endpoint is protected against 99.99% of the threats in the wild today.

What is most valuable?

Centralized dashboard online which can be used for managing a huge product. Anything I need done can be done from a single website.

What needs improvement?

Work on the math model. We are catching a lot of false positives, which gets to be a pain at the start of a deployment. It is not hard to decipher and add a global safe list, so you do not have to touch or adjust Clients on all endpoints. After you get passed the initial scan, it is clear sailing and very easy to manage and maintain.

No issues. I had heard of others having some issues early on with performance, but I never experienced any issues. When there is a problem, as administrators, we are notified promptly by Cylance of what the issue is, then they resolve it very quickly.

Never an issue. I have deployed this solution immediately to endpoints of all flavors without issue: PCs, MACs, and servers. Specifically for a Windows domain environment, the product can be customized and pushed via GPO or SCCM without issue.

I would rate technical support as a 10 out of 10. I have never had a bad experience and very rarely have had to call them for any type of support for the product.

I had just renewed a three year subscription to a very popular endpoint protection suite when I went to a Cylance roadshow and discovered how poorly protected my organization really was. Out of 10 real world live bugs, my endpoint protection, fully-patched, deployed in a best practice environment only stopped seven of them. Cylance stopped all 10, and every show I have ever been to, Cylance has won hands down without question. Many other products require your endpoints to connect to a central hub on-prem or are cloud-based, then soon as they lose that ability, those solutions fail.

Very easy to deploy. It can be done one by one or deployed by customizing an MSI file for GPO push.

Shop around for sure and be assured the price you pay will be close to other solutions available, but even at a slight mark-up from the other solutions, you are getting real endpoint protection versus nothing more than a cheap security blanket that might keep you warm at night. However, it is not actually protecting you from anything.

Reviewed these: SEP, Cisco, McAfee, and discussed Palo Alto options as well.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. Demo products to see how they will work within your environment and involve your end users. End users are key to testing these deployments and what their experiences will be with it.

Above all, do not get hung up on price. You pay for what you get and expensive will hurt one time, where cheap will hurt forever, especially if you fall victim to a ransom attack, etc.

Andrew S. Baker (ASB) - PeerSpot reviewer

My experience was similar to yours. Saw them in a bake off, and it was no question that traditional AV was dead.

Andrew S. Baker (ASB) - PeerSpot reviewer
The machine learning algorithm is able to protect systems against zero-day threats
  • "The CylancePROTECT agent is very low on CPU usage, so it has virtually no adverse impact on my servers, desktops, or workstations."
  • "The management console needs a little maturity in how it presents data and allows the administrator to drill down or search across systems."

How has it helped my organization?

My clients have not had to contend with time-consuming false positives, nor have they had to worry about zero-day attacks, even for systems which have been off the network for months.

What is most valuable?

I am also quite impressed with its ability to protect systems against zero-day threats due to the machine learning algorithm, which powers its database. Databases, as old as 2015, are able to accurately detect 2017-era threats, such as WannaCry and other ransomware.

What needs improvement?

We have had this in production for four months across three clients.

We have had a few machines experience potential problems with the CylanceOPTICS supplementary agent, but we have not narrowed down the issue as of yet. That is a total of two machines across over 100 deployed.

So far, no.

10 out of 10. Customer service has been very responsive (going through a managed provider).

10 out of 10. Technical support has been stellar (going through a managed provider).

Yes, I used and supported a previous solution, but changed, because of system performance impact, and management of the client-side activity databases. (The old solution had a slightly better GUI, but not enough to offset the other concerns.)

The initial setup was very straightforward.

1. Install agent on system, apply key, and device comes up in the portal.
  2. Automatically apply monitoring policy.
  3. Verify the baseline, and quarantine or whitelist all detected files.
  4. Apply active policy.

Also, the installation did not require a reboot.

Implementation was conducted with support of the Managed Service Provider, who was top notch in their knowledge and support of the toolset.

We expect our ROI to be eight months, especially when taking into account the time spent with customers dealing with ransomware recovery over the past two years.

The initial endpoint cost may seem a little high (~$55/device/year), but when you look at the total peace of mind that the solution of Cylance endpoint protection provides, with no reboots for updates, and negligible performance impact, it is well worth it.

We evaluated Webroot, Symantec, Sophos, and Barkly.

What other advice do I have?

We would encourage everyone evaluating endpoint protection solutions to run a 30-day pilot (minimum) in their own environments and with a representative set of devices. Be sure to test the management of the systems, including the policy management and whitelisting/exception management.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We have been using it on our own network, and now we have signed on to be a reseller of this solution through a Managed Service Provider. We believe the solution is *that* good.
Lead Systems Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Does malware analysis. Blocks WannaCry and other attacks that have come out.
  • "Does malware analysis. Blocks WannaCry and other attacks that have come out."
  • "​It needs real analysis of quarantined files. The EDR product isn't showing much right now."

What is most valuable?

Does malware analysis. Blocks WannaCry and other attacks that have come out.

How has it helped my organization?

It lifted the burden on the helpdesk from having to keep computers updated with definitions and thus reduced the labor hours spent monitoring AV on endpoints.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for one year.

Some DLLs and in-house apps were quarantined. Alerting mode is the way to deploy this software for at least three weeks.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would rate customer service as excellent.

I would rate technical support as excellent.

The previous solution had too many things to monitor and required dedication to fix corrupt definitions. These required manual transfers and sometimes helpdesk time on the endpoint to fix the incumbent product.

We implemented it in-house with the help of the sales engineer.

The ROI is immense, particularly in less dedicated labor hours. The ROI was much more in terms of security, particularly when new security flaws have recently appeared. By virtue of having this software product, the C-level suite feels more secure, because IT does not have to start taking downtime to patch servers in a hurry.

Review closely how many endpoints you actually need before buying into a pricing level. Deal and deal with the VAR of your choice.

We evaluated Palo Alto Traps and Carbon Black.

What other advice do I have?

Review the performance of Cylance over the next year and ask for a 60 day trial, not just a 30 day trial. Monitoring the growth of this company is very important to determine if the product remains at the level that is in today.

Download our free CylancePROTECT Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022