We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Cisco UCS Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco UCS Manager is #13 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools. PeerSpot users give Cisco UCS Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. Cisco UCS Manager is most commonly compared to Cisco Intersight: Cisco UCS Manager vs Cisco Intersight. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 33% of all views.
What is Cisco UCS Manager?
Cisco UCS Manager helps significantly reduce management and administration expenses by automating routine tasks to increase operational agility. Customers can extend the benefits of Cisco UCS Manager globally across an enterprise to thousands of servers in multiple domains with Cisco UCS Central Software.
Cisco UCS Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco UCS Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Cisco UCS Manager Customers
Management Science Associates, Peak 10, Virtual Consulting Professionals
Cisco UCS Manager Video

Cisco UCS Manager Reviews

IT Infrastructure Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable and scalable but extremely complex
  • "Technical support has been good so far. We haven't had any issues with them. We're satisfied with the level of service they provide our company."
  • "The interface and the way it is constructed is very complex. They should work to simplify it. It's quite difficult for somebody who doesn't know the product very well. Users should be able to get proficient with it faster. There's definitely room for improvement there."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used to manage user infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

It's difficult to pinpoint the exact features which are the most valuable to our organization.

What needs improvement?

The interface and the way it is constructed is very complex. They should work to simplify it. It's quite difficult for somebody who doesn't know the product very well. Users should be able to get proficient with it faster. There's definitely room for improvement there.

I've been using the solution for about six or seven years.

The solution offers quite good stability. We haven't had a problem at all with it. It's quite good.

We don't have too much equipment, so we haven't tried to scale it too much ourselves. However, the solution is actually quite scalable if a company needs to.

We have about six people using the solution in our company.

I'm not a system administrator, so I don't know if we plan to increase the usage. I personally don't intend to.

We previously used different products. We had an IBM blade server but integrated the management, so it was a very different scenario to what we have now. The previous solution no longer exists, so we had no choice but to switch solutions and we chose Cisco.

The initial installation itself is not very complicated. However, the configuration of the solution can be quite complex.

Deployment times vary. It can be anywhere from a few hours to several weeks. It depends on the company and what needs to happen with the configuration. In our case, it took about a week to deploy it.

Currently, we're mostly paying for maintenance. As for the cost of the solution itself, I'm not sure what it is.

We were evaluating both Cisco and HP and eventually ended up choosing Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

We're not partners with Cisco. I'm a user of the solution and also a consultant.

We're currently using the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure of the exact version number, but it was updated recently.

I don't have specific advice to others considering implementing the product. I'd just say that it's important that they know the product before implementing it.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. You can do pretty much anything you need to on the product, but it's quite complex. If they were able to simplify both the configuration and the user interface, I'd probably give them full marks.

Systems Engineer at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to manage and simple but has limited scalability options
  • "Cisco UCS Manager is overall a good package because it gives a GUI interface and a CLI."
  • "Cisco UCS Manager is not a scalable solution because once you have 160 blades, it cannot be expanded more."

What is our primary use case?

Cisco UCS Manager helps us manage all the blades so we can apply quality to templates. Recently, we have installed VMware vCenter from where we manage it. Cisco UCS Manager gives us control of all the blades with a maximum of 160 blades in a single UCS Manager. From there we can manage all the hardware related issues, like upgrades.

What is most valuable?

Cisco UCS Manager is a simple solution. Their technical support is good because whenever we need to generate a technical log, we can generate it from the console itself. It gives ease of management. Cisco UCS Manager is overall a good package because it offers a GUI interface and a CLI. We use Cisco UCS PowerTool to manage through.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what can be improved, the help dashboard could. Usually, we use vCenter. If I go to an option called Performance Monitoring, it gives us metrics in real-time.

The performance dashboard should be out in front of the UCS Manager - as soon as you log in you should see the dashboard. That should be improved. Another thing is the inventory management dashboard. Inventory is like a configuration database. So we should also be able to pull all the details which can give answers so we do not wonder about the HCI data.

Also, scalability could be improved in this solution.

Lastly, it should be more user-friendly because Cisco is a bit of a complex solution. So we are running the VMware environment and it has added capabilities of management.

Mostly it is stable. Sometimes when we upgrade there's a bug or something like that. Then we involve Cisco for the technical support and they help. I've been always grateful because whenever we need them, they are always available.

Cisco UCS Manager is not a scalable solution because once you have 160 blades, it cannot be expanded more. It has a limit of a maximum of 20 chassis which can hold up to 160 blades. Then, if we need 161 blades, we have to install another Cisco UCS Manager to manage it. That is not expandable. If you have a large volume of blades to support, like 1000 blades, we'd have to divide 1000 by 160 and that will be the number of UCS Managers in our environment.

I've been in touch with them. They are very good at the technical level.

The initial setup is straightforward and not so complex.

I think it is a 20 minute job to mount UCS Manager.

I implemented it myself.

What other advice do I have?

Now people have many more options. If you're talking about HCI, Cisco has it. They have their own product called Cisco HyperFlex. Though if you are looking for a single short solution then you probably will not find it here.

On a scale from one to 10, I would rate Cisco UCS Manager a seven.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco UCS Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Infrastructure Engineer with 51-200 employees
Flexible and easy to expand features with good stability
  • "The flexibility and the ease in which the features can be expanded are the solution's most valuable aspects."
  • "The automation within the solution needs to be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for software computing within our organization.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The automation within the solution needs to be simplified.

In the next release, the solution should have a central view center or offer administration capabilities for different environments.

I've been using the solution for four years.

The solution is quite stable. We've never witnessed any bug or glitches. We also haven't experienced any crashes that would lead us to believe the stability is in question. It's very good.

The scalability of the solution is okay. You do get some scalability, but it's not fully scalable per se.

We've reached out to technical support in the past. The support they've provided has been great. We're satisfied with the level of service that they've given us.

The initial setup was complex. It was not straightforward. There's just too much effort to set up a simple environment.

The environment was quite large and the implementation process required a number of people.

Currently, we have six people who handle ongoing maintenance on the solution.

We used a consultant that was able to assist us with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice of how other users can implement the solution, I'd caution that it depends on what they like to use. If you need to have server usage, for example, for Oracle, for Microsoft Hyper V, VMware, or different solutions, then it's not the best.

For us, the complexity was too high especially when it comes to expanding it for other purposes.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Sr. Lead Consultant - Infrastructure | Virtualization & Cloud Computing | SDN |NFV at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use and manage with a good dashboard and portal for core configuration
  • "The reporting functionality will give you any report you want."
  • "I would like to see Cisco UCS optionally work as a hyper-converged system because right now, it only operates as a converged system."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Cisco UCS Manager for VDI and for connecting to a private cloud.

What is most valuable?

Cisco UCS has a fantastic portal to do the core configuration.

The connection between the Cisco UCS server and the network is easy to use and easy to manage.

This solution has all of the requirements for the network using public extenders.

The dashboard is awesome and you can easily get all of the information that you want.

The reporting functionality will give you any report you want.

What needs improvement?

Adding another layer of embedded virtualization would allow us to sell this as one unit, like Nutanix or VxRail.

I have been using Cisco UCS Manager for three years.

Cisco UCS is easy to scale.

The first time implementing this solution is a little bit complex. However, after you have the required hands-on experience, the second implementation will be easy. There are a certain number of steps and you follow the documentation.

What other advice do I have?

I have recommended Cisco USC for multiple customers and in particular, one of them was a financial institution.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using Cisco UCS Manager is that sizing is very important. Once you start thinking about it, you have to understand the requirements, and sizing is important in this regard. Once you understand the requirements, you have to select the right model.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Daniel Aramayo
Implementation and Support Engineer at PRACSO S.R.L.
Stable, easy to deploy, and good for managing the entire Cisco ecosystem

What is our primary use case?

I am using Cisco UCS Manager for managing our entire ecosystem for Cisco products.

What is most valuable?

I can quickly manage the provisioned servers.

What needs improvement?

Its user interface can be improved. It can be more user-friendly.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is really stable.

Their technical support is pretty good.

Its initial setup is straightforward.

It provides a return on investment.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco UCS Manager a nine out of ten. It is a very useful product.

Which

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

I can quickly manage the provisioned servers.

What needs improvement?

Its user interface can be improved. It can be more user-friendly.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is really stable.

Their technical support is pretty good.

Its initial setup is straightforward.

It provides a return on investment.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco UCS Manager a nine out of ten. It is a very useful product.

Download our free Cisco UCS Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.