Cisco MDS Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco MDS Series is the #3 ranked solution in top Enterprise SAN tools. PeerSpot users give Cisco MDS Series an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Cisco MDS Series is most commonly compared to Dell Connectrix SAN: Cisco MDS Series vs Dell Connectrix SAN. Cisco MDS Series is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 53% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
Cisco MDS Series Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco MDS Series Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Cisco MDS Series?

Cisco MDS 9000 Series Switches have met and often exceeded the demanding requirements for storage area networks for more than a decade. They offer a combination of performance, non-stop operations, and multiprotocol flexibility.

Cisco MDS Series was previously known as Cisco MDS 9100, Cisco MDS 9222i, Cisco MDS 9700.

Cisco MDS Series Customers

National Rugby League

Cisco MDS Series Video

Cisco MDS Series Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco MDS Series pricing:
"It's perpetual licensing and maintenance is a recurrent cost."

Cisco MDS Series Reviews

Mike  Zukerman - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Cloud Systems Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good zoning, stable, scalable, and the support is good
  • "The most valuable features of this solution are the devices, databases, and zoning."
  • "The GUI client is Java-based and we know that Java is not secure, so everyone disables it."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to manage our storage and inner network solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Data Center Network Manager is good but it is not free and requires purchasing a separate license. It doesn't make sense to me - if you buy the switch the management software should be included with it.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The GUI client is Java-based and we know that Java is not secure, so everyone disables it.

It would be nice to have an HTML-based client.

The initial setup could be simplified.

Cisco MDS Series vs. Dell PowerVault
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco MDS Series vs. Dell PowerVault and other solutions. Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for six years.

We are not using the latest version. We are using version 8.3.

It's a stable solution. I don't have any issues with the stability of it.

The scalability is good.

We have three users in our organization who are using this solution. It is specifically for administration, and not for regular users.

This is a management piece for the storage area network. Only storage administrative users, use it.

We are increasing the usage. We have purchased some new switches.

I have contacted technical support and they are okay, once you pass the initial tier. The initial tier can help you with simple things.

For the more complex issues, it is almost always escalated to another level.

In my previous employment, I used a competitive product call Brocade Switches from HP, for SAN management.

I changed employment and the new company uses MDS. Both are similar.

Cisco is primarily used for Cisco environments. HP is more universal and it can manage any server, not just Cisco Servers, clients, and storage.

The initial setup was a bit complex. It is more on the complicated side than it is easy.

It took a month to deploy this solution.

I am responsible for the maintenance of it.

I completed the implementation myself.

It's perpetual licensing and maintenance is a recurrent cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that you get training before using this solution.

I would rate Cisco MDS Series an eight out of ten.

AANKITGUPTAA - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at Pi DATACENTERS
Robust, secure, and excellent support
  • "The most valuable feature of the Cisco MDS Series is security."
  • "Cisco MDS Series can improve by having API functionality for automation and programming."

What is our primary use case?

We deployed Cisco MDS Series in storage domains, which we use for 46 servers as a storage path in Active-Active Mode.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the Cisco MDS Series is performance and stability multipathing. The SAN Environment should be stable and require near-line performance.

What needs improvement?

Cisco MDS Series can improve by having SAN Manager with life cycle management features and Integration with 3rd party storage monitoring tools.

I have been using Cisco MDS Series for approximately seven years.

The reliability of the Cisco MDS Series is good.

Cisco MDS Series is scalable and on the multi-chassis mode, it can provide support to 300 ports.

The support of the Cisco MDS Series is very good.

I rate the support from Cisco MDS Series a five out of five.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I did not use another solution prior to Cisco MDS Series, the first in the Class NX-OS.

The initial setup of the Cisco MDS Series is straightforward, it is not complex.

We used a third party to implement the solution.

This solution is required for any type of IT infrastructure for Storage Networking and provides high availability for storage service.

This solution was the first choice, we did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

We have one system or network administrator which should have storage domain knowledge.

I rate Cisco MDS Series a ten out of ten.