IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

BMC FootPrints Service Core OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

BMC FootPrints Service Core is #26 ranked solution in top IT Service Management (ITSM) tools and #31 ranked solution in top Help Desk Software. PeerSpot users give BMC FootPrints Service Core an average rating of 6 out of 10. BMC FootPrints Service Core is most commonly compared to ServiceNow: BMC FootPrints Service Core vs ServiceNow. BMC FootPrints Service Core is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.

Download the IT Service Management (ITSM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is BMC FootPrints Service Core?
FootPrints Service Core integrates IT service and asset management for end-to-end business services, and it's easy to install, use, and support. With configurable capabilities that streamline service delivery, FootPrints improves customer satisfaction and IT's reputation with your business users.

BMC FootPrints Service Core was previously known as FootPrints Service Core.

BMC FootPrints Service Core Customers
Cast & Crew
BMC FootPrints Service Core Video

Archived BMC FootPrints Service Core Reviews (more than two years old)

GrantScurrah - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at KKC
The primary value for us are the incident, problem, and change management features
  • "This product solidly handles incident management, problem management, and change management."
  • "The pricing could be a little lower and the product should cover more iTel versions."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this product is we effectively use it as a very smart ticketing system. So most companies have the add-on version or the add-on module for change management and also the CMDB (Configuration Management Database). So the CMDB is populated with inventory data, whether it be ECCN (Export Control Classification Number) or other sources. It's a very sophisticated ticketing system.

What is most valuable?

The product is very strong on three things: incident management, problem management, and change management. So its primary value for us are the incident, problem and change management features.

What needs improvement?

To improve the product for our usage, the pricing, maybe could be a bit lower. It would also be better if it covered some additional iTel versions for processes. Currently, it's got about six or seven. I'd certainly like to see more iTel processes.

I have been using the product for maybe 15 years.
IT Service Management (ITSM)
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about BMC, ServiceNow, Atlassian and others in IT Service Management (ITSM). Updated: June 2022.
608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's extremely stable. We've got customers who are mobile telecommunication customers, we've got hospitals, we've got power companies, and we've got an airport. We can handle the volume with no interruptions. Instability would really be unacceptable.

It can be scaled up as big as you want. It all has to do with just space, memory and the proper processors. In Australasia (mostly comprised of Australia and New Zealand), I don't know how many end-users there are exactly. We maybe have 50 to 70 user companies currently. In New Zealand, they use this as their service base and they've got 40,000 to 50,000 employees and it is widely used. From that, you can see it can be scaled up easily.

If we can not seem to fix a problem for our customers, which we usually do, we just raise a ticket with BMC and they give very good support. Technical support for BMC is really pretty awesome. We are satisfied. When we put in a ticket and there is work to do, they solve the issue.

The installation and initial setup are very straightforward. It can easily be done in one day and it's out of the box. Integration with other applications via SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol) or API or Web Services is also very good. It is very easy to integrate with other applications and data sources.The installation of upgrades is also very easy. It is just a matter of downloading an executable and launching it and you get an in-place upgrade (without removing the older version first).

We are a BMC software partner, and we market and sell BMC software so we know about it in depth. We require only one or two people for deployment. We do a lot of installations for customers remotely as well. The two people are engineers or maybe integrators or administrators. They are just competent IT people. You don't need to be a guru or anything to deploy the product. A lot of our customers have actually installed it by themselves. It is that easy.

The licensing for FootPrints is a perpetual license with an annual support fee. The cost of the license depends on how many agents or technicians you purchase. Customers are free, but you have the services of a given number of agents or technicians depending on how many your license covers.

We are a BMC software partner, so we didn't go and evaluate other applications because we are familiar with the capabilities of a broad spectrum of products.

What other advice do I have?

I've been using the product from version nine right up to the current version. The great thing about FootPrints is that it is very easy to install and configure. Typically three times a year they will have a major upgrade. You can choose to upgrade one at a time (once every three months) or you can wait till the end of the year and just do one upgrade to cover all three of the upgrades at one time. But the upgrade installation has been very, very easy and we don't experience glitches and performance issues.On a scale from one to ten where one it the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a nine. That is nine rather than a ten because there is room for improvement.
IT Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
A flexible solution with good features, good support, and good pricing
  • "The discovery feature is very flexible."
  • "The mobile version of this product does not support asset management."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for IT Service Management. These ITIL processes include change level management and incident problem management. We also use this solution for Ipro processes. We perform discovery for configuration management and capacity management for all of our platforms. We also use it for supply and contract management.

We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is Smart IT.

The discovery feature is very flexible.

What needs improvement?

The problem is that there are several products, such as Smart IT for mobile users, that do different things. All of the products should be consolidated into a single application.

I would like to see full HTML file support in the next release of this solution.

The mobile version of this product does not support asset management.

We have been using this solution for almost two years.

We are satisfied with the scalability. We use an IBM mainframe, and we can discover it, and it supports many kinds of platforms. This solution is very scalable and it's good for large enterprises.

We have approximately four thousand users.

Technical support for this solution is good. We have premier support, which is in our contract, so we get support directly from BMC Global. We also have support by means of the partners, and directly from the vendor.

The initial setup of this solution is not complex, but it requires two main servers.

This solution has good pricing. Compared to other products, it is not expensive.

What other advice do I have?

This is certainly a solution that I recommend for big enterprise. It brings a full solution for enterprise service management. Not just IT service management, but the whole enterprise.

This is a good product.

IT Service Management (ITSM)
June 2022
608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT System Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Scalability is customizable but it is somewhat limited in terms of how granular it can be
  • "It has helped the help desk team. We get our tickets in and are able to support our customers, the end-users, with this solution."
  • "The workflow should be made to be more user-friendly. It should also have more granular scalability."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution. Our primary use case is for our ticketing system, tracking system, and asset tracking system.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped the help desk team. We get our tickets in and are able to support our customers, the end-users, with this solution.

What needs improvement?

We do not have any complaints on the stability of it. The stability is fine, we are just looking for a better workflow and a more intuitive system.

In terms of the scalability, it seems like there is a lot you can do. It is customizable but it is somewhat limited in terms of how granular it can be, how can it be customized.

Their technical support is okay. I haven't really contacted them before.

We looked for the problem and where there was inefficiency within the team or company-wide.

We are looking into ServiceNow to replace the system. The team that is managing this system did a POC and they love it and we are going that way. I was not really part of the choosing of this system.

The initial setup was pretty complex. The prep work alone took a few months.

We used an integrator for the deployment. We use this integrator for everything that we buy, either devices or software. We have a good relationship with them.

Our costs are well over $250,000.

We looked into Remedy and ServiceNow. ServiceNow is more Enterprise and it integrates with other remote tools that we have.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Carrie Wu - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Systems Analyst at Port of Vancouver
Supports the convergence of ticket management, IT, and customer services
  • "I think the most important feature is the ability to receive valuable ticket status support in a timely manner with little to no downtime interruptions."
  • "We need more customizable reporting functionality. We could also use more collaboration of service desk tickets. This will allow for two departments to share the same information, track the progress of the total task scope no matter how complex the request is."

What is our primary use case?

My company employs this solution as our service desk management system. Our primary use case is the management service desk tickets. The solution tracks any technical issues, problems, and questions. The system provides all of the functionality needed to manage incident, problems, change and configuration management. The Service Catalogue provides end-users with an easy method to request new services.

How has it helped my organization?

In the past, when we knew we had tons of tickets, without FootPrints, it was unclear just how many service desks tickets remained outstanding. Since integrating this tool to manage our tickets we have been able to capture all reports. This has allowed us to better inform the management team about just how many tickets have been processed, how many tickets are still pending, and the category of the tickets. This system has allowed us to see the big picture in regards to our service desk operations and helps with understanding our customer because FootPrints can record end-user interactions.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is the ability to receive valuable ticket status support in a timely manner with little to no downtime interruptions.

What needs improvement?

We need more customizable reporting functionality.

The system should allow for more flexibility, the option to view the settings and get rid of the settings I am not using. The solution needs to be easily configured. The user needs the option of enabling customizations within the navigation fields.

More than five years.

It's very flexible software but it depends on how customers configure their system. If the configuration is down the system will be very stable. If the configuration is not done very well the stability of the system is jeopardized; the solution possesses a lot of positive functionality.

Their service delivery response is mediocre. The customer service isn't bad or very good, it falls somewhere in the middle. I did have direct experience with a BMC partner and their service was very good.

We've examined the difference between ServiceNow and BMC FootPrints. We made the switch because our company has grown a lot over the past few years, so gradually we got more and more service desk tickets. We found it really hard to handle everything without a proper system in place. We couldn't handle the workload. After conducting some research we decided to use ITMS. That's the reason we switched to BMC.

I feel confident in saying that BMC FootPrints Service Core is definitely one of the best products in the market.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor is the ability of the vendor to meet specific requirements and to offer a user-friendly design option. If a company can only offer a specific cloud version, it's much too limiting. We need a company that can offer excellent, on time, customer service as well.

We looked at ServiceNow but they only offered as a cold version. BMC is still the most suitable platform for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would give this product a rating of 8 out of 10 because it's a good system and it meets most of our requirements. It still has a lot of space to improve because the service desk function is changing all the time. This solution has to continually be innovative. It should also generate more user-friendly reports utilizing a collaborative framework.

Additionally, I would tell anyone looking at similar solutions to first figure out their most important requirements. Then compare their requirements with the function of the ITMS to ensure compatibility. While at the same time they should look ahead at future requirements such as the cloud configuration, along with other vendor capabilities before making a decision.

it_user792360 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Service Management at St. Luke's Health System
User
Allows multiple administrators in various different workspaces; doesn't require a single person to administer all workspaces
  • "Implemented system-wide process for approving and tracking "employee move" requests for over 15,000 employees."
  • "​Ability to auto-generate email messages, process email messages, and approvals."
  • "It would be nice if they added the ability to go directly to a form via a deep link URL."

What is our primary use case?

We started using FootPrints as our primary tool for Incident and Change Management. Then, we expanded capabilities to fulfill the need for Service Request Management and Service Catalog Management for IT. Eventually, we took the tool to other non-IT departments for streamlining business process that may, or may not, have an IT component.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Ability to auto-generate email messages, process email messages, and approvals.
  • Ability to allow multiple administrators in various different workspaces, therefore not requiring a single person to administer all workspaces for the system.

What needs improvement?

• Include a more integrated CMDB and the ability to personalize/customize the Service Catalog's look and feel.
  • V11.6 has very large boxes as groups to click in order to drill down further.
  • It would be nice if they added the ability to go directly to a form via a deep link URL.
Help Desk Specialist at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

We use the software for help desk problem tickets and service requests. We also use it for HR issues related to benefits and other HR issues.

How has it helped my organization?

We can track issues easier and run reports on issues to see if there are patterns. We can send surveys out on each ticket to get feedback on issues and our services.

What is most valuable?

We have found the reports and the lockdown on a ticket valuable, so only one person can update issues. The surveys are beneficial, too.

What needs improvement?

Reporting could be improved along with the option to create more fine tuned reports and to create specific fields for each type of ticket.

More than five years.
Disaster Recovery Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
  • "I like the fact that FootPrints is a relational database, so every item in the database can be linked to another. This helps create history and audit trails for each CI."
  • "I have used Tier II BMC support a few times. They were very responsive and recreated my environment in their lab to support me."
  • "Having a one stop shop for linked assets and tickets has improved end user adoption and led to a reduction in phone/email tickets."
  • "Hyphens are not allowed in the quick search bar. This has created a problem in our environment where we use hyphens in our asset names."

What is our primary use case?

As a tool to control asset management, internal and external service tickets, change management workflows, and contract management. Change management, in particular, we use to meet different audit standards, such as FISMA and FedRAMP.

How has it helped my organization?

Having a single tool with all the necessary functions in one place has improved efficiency. Having a one stop shop for linked assets and tickets has improved end user adoption and led to a reduction in phone/email tickets.

What is most valuable?

The ability to create custom home views for different teams has been very valuable. I also like the fact that FootPrints is a relational database, so every item in the database can be linked to another. This helps create history and audit trails for each CI.

What needs improvement?

There are still a few odd issues in FootPrints 12.x, which are frustrating. A maximum of 1000 items is returned on any search result, so larger queries are relatively useless in an environment with many tickets, assets, etc. On the admin side, this is understood, but management does not like it.

A second issue is that hyphens are not allowed in the quick search bar.  This has created a problem in our environment where we use hyphens in our asset names.

Three to five years.

One upgrade went poorly, occasionally Tomcat services needed to be restarted.  Realistically, no less stable than any other application or product.

None.

We have a partner for Tier I support, but I have used Tier II BMC support a few times. They were very responsive and recreated my environment in their lab to support me.

Previously used ManageEngine IT360, a now defunct product.  It was very buggy and support was lacking.

Yes, it was involved, but not complicated.

We used Flycast partners to assist with the implementation. They were extremely knowledgeable.

Cost was on par with other service desk products, and well below Remedy, while still being a BMC product.

ICT Manager at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The software is very flexible and can adapt to your processes but workflows are missing.

What is most valuable?

It accomplishes Pink Elephant certification for up to nine processes of ITIL. It is very flexible and can be adopted for any other processes to meet other non-IT business needs without developing any piece of code.

How has it helped my organization?

Now all IT related issues, problems, changes and even projects are more controlled using Footprints. We can monitor SLAs and the system itself notifies us when SLAs are about to be met so we can take action before that happens. We can build our own management board with IT key indicators based on SLAs, issue resolutions, first call resolution levels, etc.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes it is difficult to make the application do exactly what you need. Workflows are missing (solved in version 12 of the software and we will migrate soon) but they can be built using escalations.

I've used it for two years.

No issues encountered.

It's at a high level. They have solved all the issues we had (mainly configuration issues) in a timely manner.

It's pretty good too.

We used a solution we had developed using an Access database. It was difficult to maintain and keep developing.

A bit complex. Take into account that the software is very flexible and can adapt to your processes. The first step we did was to document our processes and then adapt the software to them.

It was deployed directly by BMC so they had a very high level of expertise.

I also evaluated a Spanish product called EMAS from DS2 Grupo. It was also a very good solution, but it was not as flexible as Footprints.

What other advice do I have?

You should learn well how to develop the software so you can adapt it to all kinds of processes of your company. Look into the new version as it improves a lot of workflows and much more stuff.