Azure Sphere OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure Sphere is the #5 ranked solution in top IoT Security tools. PeerSpot users give Azure Sphere an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. Azure Sphere is most commonly compared to Microsoft Defender for IoT: Azure Sphere vs Microsoft Defender for IoT. Azure Sphere is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 86% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 51% of all views.

Download the IoT Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Azure Sphere?

Azure Sphere development kits provide everything you need to start prototyping and developing Azure Sphere applications. Order yours today and start taking advantage of the rich development experience in Visual Studio.

Azure Sphere Video

Azure Sphere Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure Sphere pricing:
"This solution offers secure IoT communication to the cloud at a fairly low cost."

Azure Sphere Reviews

HarshitMathur - PeerSpot reviewer
IoT Consultant at Accenture
Good edge security and performance but the edge devices being addressed is limited
  • "It's stable and the performance has been great."
  • "The type of edge devices being addressed through the suite was limited."

What is most valuable?

The edge security feature is what is most important for us. We were using certain microcontrollers also. Ensuring that the micro controls or the edge devices that we are using are risk-free and more compliant, and when we were burning our firmware, that is the place where we were actually using. Our use was very limited, however, we went for Azure Sphere for the simple reason that we wanted to minimize the cybersecurity-related risk over the edge devices.

What needs improvement?

It's more of a closed integration with the other Azure stacks. People, when they go for some IT app development, know that they have to go for Azure SQL. They have to use a certain platform for visualizations. However, Azure Sphere is something that still needs to give more confidence to its users. Probably more integration of Azure Sphere with its entire technology stack is something that Microsoft can do to make it a very approachable tool for others. Otherwise, it's a friendly tool and it's a good tool.

The type of edge devices being addressed through the suite was limited, however, even that has also significantly increased.

I've used the solution for a couple of months, just for one client. I used it eight months back.

It's stable and the performance has been great. So far my experience has been good. There weren't any bugs or glitches and it didn't crash or freeze.

IoT Security
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Mocana, Palo Alto Networks and others in IoT Security. Updated: November 2022.
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Scalability-wise, the devices that I was using were around 25 in number, and the solution was easy to deploy. I just need to duplicate the solution, my firmware, to 20 other devices, which was pretty easy. I didn't find any issue with that.

The only thing is, that is something that we still need to evaluate, how good is this Azure Sphere in the industrial setup? There's a solution called Kepware From PTC that takes care of industrial tools and industrial communication. With that kind of scalability, if Azure Sphere can also achieve it at industrial levels, that would be good. It is good for connected products. For example, a home connected device like Alexa, et cetera. However, from a factory ecosystem point of view, it still needs to achieve that kind of maturity.

All documentation is available. Every single step-by-step instruction is available in terms of guidance and documentation. Getting any hands-on support from their technicians was also not a problem. My experience, overall, was positive.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I wasn't actually involved in the initial setup. I'm not the right person to comment on that. When I wanted to use it, I just asked them and they got it installed.

We did not really evaluate any other option before using this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We have a strategic ecosystem partnership with Microsoft.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Owner with 11-50 employees
Dynamic IoT security solution suited to large organizations and offers scalability
  • "When you use this solution, you get a dual processor with all the necessary security and Microsoft updates supplied. You don't have to be concerned about the security aspect related to IoT because Microsoft takes care of this."
  • "One of the pain points of this solution is that the full Linux box is not exposed to all developers. This restricts what the applications can do as they cant be adjusted."

What is our primary use case?

We use the MQTT the serial protocol, which is similar to AWS, for remote monitoring statements.

What is most valuable?

The sphere module is offered at a fairly low cost and has a secure interface. It is comparable to Amazon who supply their Greenfield Solution or their Access using a free Artot. Microsoft offers an encapsulated solution, which has a security built-on chip. When you use this solution, you get a dual processor with all the necessary security and Microsoft updates supplied. You don't have to be concerned about the security aspect related to IoT because Microsoft takes care of this.

What needs improvement?

One of the pain points of this solution is that the full Linux box is not exposed to all developers. This restricts what the applications can do as they cant be adjusted.

This solution releases frequent updates that require consistent upgrading that can be annoying. When the Microsoft security updates are in progress, the solution is not fully functional.

We have used this solution for less than one year.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is a more suitable fit for a larger organization. It is a good add-on to existing products. For example, if you already have an IP PTP or UR based product and you want to add a secure connection to the cloud, this is an ideal solution. The only drawback would be the fact that Microsoft issues very frequent updates.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free IoT Security Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Mocana, Palo Alto Networks, and more!
Updated: November 2022