IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Azure Resource Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure Resource Manager is #1 ranked solution in top Cloud Resource Access Management tools. PeerSpot users give Azure Resource Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. Azure Resource Manager is most commonly compared to Google Cloud Resource Manager: Azure Resource Manager vs Google Cloud Resource Manager. Azure Resource Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 75% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is Azure Resource Manager?

The Azure Resource Manager (ARM) is the service used to provision resources in your Azure subscription. It was first announced at Build 2014 when the new Azure portal ( portal.azure.com ) was announced and provides a new set of API's that are used to provision resources.

Azure Resource Manager Video

Azure Resource Manager Reviews

Data & Analytics Service, Associate Director at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
A deployment and management service solution with a useful central management feature, but support could be better
  • "On the management side, Azure Resource Manager helps with things like team management. It also helps on the expert side. It helps us manage projects and services centrally, and it's very useful."
  • "They have created multiple roles, but I would rather they simplify the roles they already have. The main goal is to work with efficient data. Their support could also be better."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft has a lot of products on the Microsoft Azure website. You can use it for data migration purposes. You have Azure Data Factory, AZCopy, Azure Storage, data lake services, and analytical services. Depending on the kind of migration, you can pick from any of those services. The combination of services also depends on the data, whose data you have, etc. Based on that combination, we create a solution for data integration. In Azure Resource Manager, you can manage services in different projects, in different environments, and with different tenants. It helps us put the hierarchy in place. Based on the hierarchy, people will get the role and everything, and we can centrally control it. If I have applications that require certain services like Azure Services, I can assign them. I have other web applications that require web-related applications, and I can segregate my users. I can segregate my team based on that.  I haven't used Resource Management extensively to control access thoroughly. I don't try to code anything here. I'm mostly using the common functionalities and not anything else.

What is most valuable?

It has multiple benefits. On the management side, Azure Resource Manager helps with things like team management. It also helps on the expert side. It helps us manage projects and services centrally, and it's very useful.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement. They have so many roles and contributors, but we primarily use three categories or the main contributor and reader roles. They have created a lot of other roles, but they are still not efficient enough to use. If you just use one service like Azure Data Factory, they also offer separate services, but they aren't as efficient as their main three roles. I would like Microsoft to at least work on that. For the last two years, I'm have been working on the services to try to come up with a different way or different control approach. But I have to use the three general roles like contribute, filter, and the reader. We aren't able to use the service days in roles because it's not working properly. It's not integrated, and it gives some people or one person one service day role. It won't be easy for him or her to work. I see they have defined many roles, including individual roles, but they aren't as good as the three main roles they have defined in Resource Management. I think they can work on that.  They have created multiple roles, but I would rather they simplify the roles they already have. The main goal is to work with efficient data. Their support could also be better.

I have worked with Azure Resource Manager over the last 12 months.

I'm not at all happy with their support. Over the years, whenever we raised an issue, we never got clear and understandable support. I have also read in other places that Microsoft support isn't good at all. The partner support is really pathetic. It takes a lot of time. Meanwhile, thanks to Google, we are able to find solutions.

The initial setup is straightforward, but we have to wait and see once we define the roles. There are hierarchy-based rules there, and I have to segregate them at the project level or for some other roles.  We have to thoroughly test it before we roll out specific access to a person. There might be some understanding, but the documentation isn't right, or they don't have enough videos to create the rules and design that. It required some time to understand and create and test and do it ourselves.

We implemented it ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Azure Resource Manager a six.

Microsoft Azure
Digital Transformation Architecture, Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very user friendly and it's easy to manage reserve incentives
  • "It's user friendly and it's easy to manage reserve incentives ."
  • "Lacks a common line within the user interface for automating or scaling a reserve deployment."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to provision cloud resources and resource groups for different kinds of projects as a support environment. We are partners of Azure and I'm a digital transformation architect and manager of digital.

What is most valuable?

The solution is user friendly and it's easy to manage reserve incentives and to automate resources. It's also simple to view and know what you're using.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if they would create a common line within the user interface so that if you want to automate or scale a reserve deployment, it can be done simply. It would mean running directly from the resource manager or finding a way to automate without using a common line.

I've been using this solution for 18 months.

Microsoft has done lot to improve stability and to provide a good user experience.

We have access to technical support but don't really have the need for it. The documentation is great and if you have access to the partner portal which is also great, you can find almost everything in English.

We previously used Data Machines on our own data center but the company has moved everything to cloud so we no longer have a private data center.

The initial setup is not complex because it's already deployed. You don't have to do anything, just sign into the portal and view the resources from there.

We have a third party license.

I know that the company evaluated Global Cloud, Microsoft and AWS, but I wasn't involved in that process.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to monitor costs. There are a lot of things that can be done to reduce the cost of the solution and it's easy to reduce the resources lying around. You have to monitor closely what you're using.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
Cloud Business Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
A stable solution for managing subscriptions and assigning resources
  • "The features for managing the subscriptions and assigning a group of resources to a project team are the most valuable."
  • "They can maybe improve the interface."

What is our primary use case?

Azure Resource Manager is used for the management functions. It is a part of the dashboard and the management solution. The customers use it to group and manage every kind of resource in Azure. You can see the information through the console and Azure Resource Manager.

How has it helped my organization?

Our customers need to manage each resource. They need to know how a resource is used over a period of time. They need to start and use the timing mode to group the same kind of resources for assigning the codes to a specific project. Azure Resource Manager enables grouping of this kind of information so that the customers know how to deal with certain behaviors over time.

What is most valuable?

The features for managing the subscriptions and assigning a group of resources to a project team are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

They can maybe improve the interface.

I have been using Azure Resource Manager for two or three years.

It is stable.

I don't know if we had a need to scale it. Our customers are medium-sized and large-sized companies.

We are using support for the cloud model. They have been okay. I would rate them an eight out of ten. They can provide multi-language support. Some of my customers don't speak English, and sometimes, they need to deal with English support, which is really complicated.

It is easy. Customers have no problem with it.

Azure Resource Manager is a part of the dashboard. It doesn't need deployment. You might need to adjust the configuration over time, but there is no deployment. It is a part of the management model of the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

If customers are looking for this kind of management tool for monitoring, I would recommend it. I would rate Azure Resource Manager a ten out of ten.