We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

AWS Backup OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Backup is #4 ranked solution in top SaaS Backup tools. PeerSpot users give AWS Backup an average rating of 8 out of 10. AWS Backup is most commonly compared to Veritas SaaS Backup: AWS Backup vs Veritas SaaS Backup. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 34% of all views.
What is AWS Backup?

AWS Backup is a fully managed backup service that makes it easy to centralize and automate the back up of data across AWS services in the cloud as well as on premises using the AWS Storage Gateway. Using AWS Backup, you can centrally configure backup policies and monitor backup activity for AWS resources, such as Amazon EBS volumes, Amazon RDS databases, Amazon DynamoDB tables, Amazon EFS file systems, and AWS Storage Gateway volumes. AWS Backup automates and consolidates backup tasks previously performed service-by-service, removing the need to create custom scripts and manual processes. With just a few clicks in the AWS Backup console, you can create backup policies that automate backup schedules and retention management. AWS Backup provides a fully managed, policy-based backup solution, simplifying your backup management, enabling you to meet your business and regulatory backup compliance requirements.

Download the SaaS Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

AWS Backup Customers

TransferWise

AWS Backup Video

AWS Backup Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AWS Backup pricing:
  • "There is a lot of flexibility with the services and pricing. The price is reasonable when compared to other products. This is very good for us."
  • "We don't use a lot of space, only approximately 900 GB, so the price is reasonable. For standing, it's okay. We normally do a payment to SSML, and they are the ones who pay over there. It is around $100 monthly."
  • AWS Backup Reviews

SAP Basis and Solman Consultant at KTC
    Flexible, highly scalable, and excellent technical support
    • "The most valuable features we have found are the flexibility in the services offered."
    • "The AWS Backup backend reporting is a major area that needs improvement. We would be very excited if we can see some reporting, such as trends. We do understand that there are reports available for S3 Bucket, in which the AWS backend stores the data. However, if we can receive holistic reporting, then it would be very helpful for us."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for AWS Backup is for SAP systems, including all of HANA databases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features we have found are the flexibility in the services offered.

What needs improvement?

The AWS Backup backend reporting is a major area that needs improvement. We would be very excited if we can see some reporting, such as trends. We do understand that there are reports available for S3 Bucket, in which the AWS backend stores the data. However, if we can receive holistic reporting, then it would be very helpful for us.

I have been using AWS Backup for approximately three years.

AWS Backup is stable.

We have not found any issues with the scalability of AWS Backup. It is highly scalable because there are no size limitations to the S3 Bucket.

We have approximately 15 users using this solution in my organization which are mostly the backup team.

The technical support is amazing, it is the best.

We have previously used Data Protector but the stability and the support were very poor for the data, from the data protector side. It can be a possibility that the competencies for that as well were not also good. We addressed several cases to Micro Focus as well, but we did not receive a good response. Soon after we decided to go ahead with the AWS backend. We were happy with the tool and all the POCs that we have done.

The initial setup is very easy.

I did the implementation myself.

There is a lot of flexibility with the services and pricing. The price is reasonable when compared to other products. This is very good for us.

I have evaluated Micro Focus Backup tools.

What other advice do I have?

When comparing AWS Backup to any other backup solutions at the present time. If your product or if your systems are already on AWS, it would be highly recommended to go ahead with the AWS backend. If your systems are not on AWS, then you can choose any other cloud platform, such as Micro Focus Backup tools.

I would rate the solution higher if the reporting was available. However, it's a pretty new product for Amazon as well. We do understand the complexities, but there are other certain factors that we have seen that are causing us some difficulties, such as we cannot directly download files from S3. We have to utilize the AWS backend and only then can we download the files. If they can add this feature, it would be very helpful to allow us the direct download of files from S3 and then we can restore it directly on the HANA.

I rate AWS Backup an eight out of ten.

Jnanakumari Sadasivam
    IT Executive at Ls Advisors
    Can restore a file within an hour
    • "When I was using an on-premises backup, there was an external hard drive or something like that. I had a backup server, but I had a few problems related to transfer when I had to restore something that I have deleted. I had to wait for after-office hours to do something like that, but now I just have to send a mail. Within one hour, I have my restored file."
    • "Only the price could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for server backup, which is done weekly.

I'm also using AWS for QuickSight. It's been about four months since I'm using it for some statistical analysis. I'm still on that project, which is also AWS.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Only the price could be improved.

I have been using this solution for about two years.

We do not do anything in terms of contacting AWS support. A company we use for support does that for us.

We use a company for support. It is an IT company in Mauritius, and they normally do everything for us. They do the deployment and everything. We just have to use their support.

I think we compared AWS and Azure, but we decided to take AWS because it is ranked as the number one for backup support. It was also about the cost etc. Normally, the directors make the final decision, and they were the ones who finalized about using AWS. The same applies to QuickSight. The director, who finalized it, is also the CEO of another company, and over there, he was using QuickSight, and he wanted to implement it here in our company.

What other advice do I have?

For me, it's great. I would rate AWS Backup a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Veritas, Clumio and others in SaaS Backup. Updated: January 2022.
    565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Andrei Sandulescu
    IT Auditor & Compliance Officer at Intellimind
    Has good replication in the recovery region
    • "The replication in the recovery region is the most valuable feature."
    • "This backup tool does the full backup of the entire snapshot server. I would like to have the option to not do the full server backup."

What is our primary use case?

We bought it as a service and deployed it. We use it to define each of our instances that we back up like the backup policy and the retention policy.

What is most valuable?

The replication in the recovery region is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

We have been using AWS Backup for three years.

The stability is good.

Scalability is good. We have around five to six users.

Technical support responds quickly.

We used a different backup solution from AWS. It was a more user-friendly version. AWS Backup was developed from a command-line application tool. The other solution was a more user-friendly version but it did the same thing.

The initial setup was simple. It took one to two days.

The licensing is not straightforward. You have to pay extra.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution is to use it for its disaster recovery capabilities.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. In the next release, I would like that when a backup fails, for it to try again automatically, which is doesn't do now. I would also like to have the ability to do a partial backup of the server.

Private Cloud

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to use and the technical support is good
    • "The most valuable feature is the daily incremental site backup."
    • "If AWS Backup were a hybrid solution that also supported on-premises backups then it would be very helpful, especially if you are doing a migration to the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We are services vendor for AWS and this is one of the solutions that we implement for our clients. A project that I recently worked on involved a storage gateway and AWS Backup was used for backing up snapshots.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the daily incremental site backup.

It is quite easy to use.

What needs improvement?

If AWS Backup were a hybrid solution that also supported on-premises backups then it would be very helpful, especially if you are doing a migration to the cloud. Ideally, I would like to take an AWS snapshot, move it to a storage vault, and then migrate it to the cloud. That would be a nice strategy and it would mean that I don't need to use two different backup approaches.

I have dealt with AWS technical support and they are very good. They are friendly and we have had good answers from them.

I have used Veeam, which is also capable of doing on-premises backups. This makes it better in terms of a holistic solution.

The complexity of the setup depends on the environment and the requirements. If it is a hybrid deployment with an on-premises component then it can take longer.

What other advice do I have?

We have found that in terms of cloud preference, our customers are more inclined to use AWS. This is one of the reasons that AWS Backup is popular.

Overall, AWS Backup is easy to use and I find that it is a good product.

Product Categories
    SaaS Backup
    Download our free SaaS Backup Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Veritas, Clumio, and more!