We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Aruba Instant OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Aruba Instant is #11 ranked solution in top Wireless LAN tools. PeerSpot users give Aruba Instant an average rating of 8 out of 10. Aruba Instant is most commonly compared to Ubiquiti WLAN: Aruba Instant vs Ubiquiti WLAN. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 37% of all views.
What is Aruba Instant?

Aruba Instant delivers the only controllerless Wi-Fi solution that is easy to set-up, and loaded with security and smarts needed to accelerate your business without breaking your budget.

Aruba Instant Buyer's Guide

Download the Aruba Instant Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Aruba Instant Customers

Purdue University, Orlando Magic, Brussels Airport Company, Molecaten Holiday Parks

Aruba Instant Video

Archived Aruba Instant Reviews (more than two years old)

IP Network Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Stable and scalable solution but still has usage kinks
  • "In terms of stability, Aruba Instant is the best on the market."
  • "There is a problem in the preferred portal access points when I'm using the portal."

What is most valuable?

I use Aruba Instant because it has firewall and inspection features that are the best for me because my child is using the wireless network and I can just block whichever websites I don't want my child to see. For what I need, the roaming is working okay for small networks.

What needs improvement?

Nothing really to improve. The Instant is simple. But when I'm using the controller, then I'll use the advanced features.

The Instant has a problem with the VPR 3 when I am working with the roaming. The problem is that the keys are incorrect and I must do a disconnect and reconnect, and then it's okay. But I don't know exactly where the problem is because VPR 2 is okay. I would like it if they could fix this. Again, I don't know if it's a problem with them or it's a problem with my device.

Additionally, storage is difficult for me. Metal storage, swimming pools, and garden storage are difficult for me. Also, the shopping centers where I track people are difficult. But offices are easy, offices are no problem.

Because we are using triangulation, there is a problem because you never know which access points are used and connected and which devices are connected on any access point. If there are a lot of different devices, and maybe old devices are present, there are problems.

I've been using Aruba Instant for about a year and a half.

In terms of stability, Aruba Instant is the best on the market.

I am a novice in the Cisco platform and it may be difficult to move to the Aruba platform, but what you can do with Aruba is better than what you can do with Cisco.

In terms of scalability, it's the best on the market.

I have not contacted technical support yet.

The initial setup was complex. The deployment is not too long. We deployed in two days. And the testing took around one week. Deploying is not a problem. The design area is more complex. Troubleshooting and site survey are more difficult for it to work well.

We implemented on our own with books, websites and brainstorming in the office.

I recommend Aruba Instant because it's cheaper for licensing and it's simple for implementation. It's all in the Instant version.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I'd give it a seven. I would not give a ten because there is a problem in the preferred portal access points when I'm using the portal. The problem is - which access point is preferred for the virtual controller?

UsaidRashid
Deputy Manager - Technical Services ICT-ELV at Eurostargroup
Enables you to handle all of the access points at once virtually instead of manually handling each one
  • "You can handle all of the access points at once virtually instead of manually handling each one. You're able to populate all of the information to all of the access points through the virtual controller as well. It transforms everything it a single access point, which simplifies things."
  • "The solution should be able to support more users on the access points."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a base for our site office.

What is most valuable?

The virtual controller can handle up to 16 access points.

The features you get in the controller are excellent.

You can handle all of the access points at once virtually instead of manually handling each one. You're able to populate all of the information to all of the access points through the virtual controller as well. It transforms everything it a single access point, which simplifies things.

What needs improvement?

The solution should be able to support more users on the access points.

The solution should allow for more roaming capabilities. If you're roaming from one access point to another, the process should be quicker.

The solution could use auto-channeling so that it could automatically pick up channel overlap.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is stable.

The scalability of the solution is good. Right now we are using the solution across five offices with 100 users.

The solution's technical support has been good.

We've used Huawei, which is also good. We're integrators, so we implement either solution according to the project requirements of our clients. I do find Aruba more stable and easier to use than Huawei, however.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd recommend the solution; I find it more stable than other options.

I'd rate it nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Aruba Instant. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,780 professionals have used our research since 2012.
John JnrSawana
Apple Technician at Solution Centre
I have been having issues creating a guest portal, using Facebook authentication , it work for a bit and stops
  • "The features I have found most valuable is that the solution creates a guest portal for guest networks, and setting up SSID authentication to the regular server."
  • "The captive portal through Facebook doesn't work."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to control our networks.

How has it helped my organization?

We've been using Aruba since 2014 from my office but in our country we've now deployed a couple of sites. We're actually now working on a project to deploy one of the biggest hotels in Zimbabwe.

What is most valuable?

The features I have found most valuable is that the solution creates a guest portal for guest networks, and setting up SSID authentication to the regular server. I also like the settings and the roles on the profiles, like where you can block some sites etc.

What needs improvement?

The only issue that I have encountered was the captive portal through Facebook. I found that it wasn't working, so I created a couple of cases through the Aruba portal.

I've been using this solution for five years now.

Aruba Instant is stable and it's easy to manage.

The solution is scalable. I've deployed it in different multiple environments. My office has less than 50 users. I've recently deployed it at a school, which has about 300 users. So we have quite a few sites. We do have plans to increase our usage at our hotel site, where we are working on a mobility master.

We do have some challenges here and there, and then we have to seek support from Aruba. They are good.

No, we haven't used a different solution before.

The initial setup was straightforward but when I did the authentication, the capture portal wasn't coming up. Deployment took me about a day. I did everything myself, which was an advantage at the office.

We only pay for the support and the contract licenses from Aruba Instant.

We did compare it to other solutions because our computers are Ruckus. We have compared Ruckus and Cisco, which became weak. Cisco, from my former research, is good in switching and dropping, but in terms of Wi-Fi, Aruba Instant is the best portal.

What other advice do I have?

Aruba is a great product. I've used it for a couple of years and it's been working well. I haven't used Ruckus but from what I've seen, licenses for Ruckus should be renewed annually. You have to purchase the license to use the product. But with Aruba, you buy the product through the distributor, so it's yours and you don't have to buy any additional licenses. The only licenses that you buy are for AirWave, which is the monitoring software, or ClearPass, which is for guest access or onboarding.

I rate this solution a nine out of ten. I would like to see an improvement with the captive portal connecting to Facebook, but the rest of the program works perfectly well. A guest portal will also be great. Some schools have a system that we're trying to integrate with Aruba, it's called 24online and it is where you create voucher systems.

TalZavishinsky
Owner at Smart living
Good roaming features and very good scalability and stability
  • "The stability of the solution is very good."
  • "Technical support needs improvement. We use the forum for technical support assistance, but it's not enough. If you're talking with a technician, they're in India. They cannot give you the service that you need. Sometimes have problems with some personal services and technical support is not helpful in this area."

What is most valuable?

The roaming feature is the solution's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to be more compatible with IoT and smart devices.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The stability of the solution is very good.

The scalability of the solution is excellent.

We aren't satisfied with technical support. If you open a ticket, it's 24 hours at least before they get back to you. If you're in the enterprise-level business you can wait, you can come in next day. However, a small or medium business cannot handle the cost of the delay.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We're an Aruba reseller. Our clients are typically small and medium-sized companies.

It's a good product. If you are an enterprise business, you have your own team for every service and you have time to research, but for small companies, support is not good and you don't have the resources of an internal team that could mitigate that.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

IT Support Specialist at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to install, has good performance, and solved our problem of lost data packets
  • "The most valuable feature is that it provides a redundant wireless connection for a client."
  • "This solution would be improved if they supplied free software controllers."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our wireless network.

All of our wireless devices are on the Aruba network.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using the Ubiquiti UniFi access points and they were dropping data packets, but using Aruba has solved that problem.

What is most valuable?

This solution is easy to install and it has good performance.

What needs improvement?

This solution would be improved if they supplied free software controllers.

I have been using this solution for one month.

This solution is very stable.

This solution is scalable. You can add devices from the dashboard.

We have an average of two hundred people who use this solution.

The technical support for this solution is good.

We are using Ubiquity access points and using Aruba has solved the problem of dropping network packets. However, Ubiquity has the advantage of free software controllers.

The initial setup of this solution is very easy.

The deployment took approximately two hours, which includes all of the access points active and on the network.

I purchased the hardware and there are no monthly or yearly licenses to buy.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution that is easy to install and performs well.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

it_user837531
User at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Provides a built-in firewall, local radius, and application visibility and control
  • "Has many advanced features: Built-in firewall, local radius, application visibility and control, not locked into support agreements."
  • "Although built-in troubleshooting tools are available, they are not at all intuitive to use. Aruba Instant lacks decent documentation to use for troubleshooting wireless issues (fortunately there aren’t many)."
  • "The Central cloud management (optional) is far behind the competition in features, ease of use, and dependability. I have tried Aruba Central a few times over the years and, in my option, it is not where it needs to be for serious consideration in production environments."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is to provide WLAN access for our managed clients networks; from 10-user offices, to wireless networks supporting 500 or more wireless clients with up to 30 wireless APs on a single layer 2 network.

How has it helped my organization?

Wireless access is very reliable; once I install, it is solid and works very well.

What is most valuable?

Very simple setup, easy to use, rock-solid dependability.

Has many advanced features:

• Built-in firewall
  • Local radius
  • Application visibility and control
  • Not locked into support agreements

Several deployment options:

• Instant
  • Central cloud managed
  • Controller managed.

More than five years.

Very stable.

No issues. I had 30 WAPs on one layer 2 subnet and it worked flawlessly.

Seven out of 10.

Very simple to set up as Aruba Instant. Not so intuitive or stable with Central cloud (should you require this).

Avoid the Central cloud license if you can.

Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

When adding new IAPs to an existing cluster, make sure they are factory default and the same firmware version as is running on the cluster.