Aruba Instant On Access Points OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Aruba Instant On Access Points is the #8 ranked solution in top Wireless LAN tools. PeerSpot users give Aruba Instant On Access Points an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Aruba Instant On Access Points is most commonly compared to Aruba Instant: Aruba Instant On Access Points vs Aruba Instant. Aruba Instant On Access Points is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 55% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 17% of all views.
Aruba Instant On Access Points Buyer's Guide

Download the Aruba Instant On Access Points Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Aruba Instant On Access Points?

Ingredients for success.

Fast 802.11ac Wave 2, secure employee and guest access, easy-to-use web, and mobile app management.

Say yes to secure Wi-Fi access.

Pre-built access control lists (ACLs) and built-in firewall in the access points prevent malicious traffic from entering your network – we call it “hassle-free” security.

Never drop an important call.

With Instant On, voice and video business applications are automatically prioritized, so you stay connected with your peers.

Aruba Instant On Access Points Video

Aruba Instant On Access Points Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Aruba Instant On Access Points pricing:
  • "You buy it for $165 an AP, which is what we paid."
  • "It is competitively priced. It was at a price point that made sense for me to put in my home, and that says something. The cost of the solution includes everything we need to manage and upgrade our Wi-Fi network, including the mobile management app. Having the licensing and all the functionality built into the base price of the product is really important for me. There are no extra costs for the security feature or automatic software/firmware updates, which is really important to me."
  • "The price of Aruba Instant On Access Points is reasonable. They are competitively priced. I've even used it in my home at one time because of the low price."
  • "Its price is fair. It is not really cheap, and it is also not expensive. It is in the middle."
  • Aruba Instant On Access Points Reviews

Network Admin at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
    User-friendly, reasonably priced, and license-free
    • "It's super user-friendly."
    • "Software-wise, I would like to have a way of moving APs from site to site and wish there would be a way to add more APs to one site. I know the limit is 25 APs per site and I wish there were more."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our wireless employee network and the wireless guest network for our clients. We have it for personal devices as well. It runs the wireless network for the company.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved our organization by lowering the cost of APs. Cisco is more expensive, and we're saving money. It helps us to utilize our funds elsewhere. It gives our employees and our clients easy-to-use internet access which makes them happy. It's a win-win all around.

The app allows me to see that we transferred 137-Gigs in the last 24 hours. I haven't had any complaints, and we can see insights into what people use the most. The metrics on the app are pretty good. We can see who uses utilities versus instant messaging, who browsed the web, streaming, and productivity, which is cool.

What is most valuable?

From start to finish, the setup is pretty simple. I've set up Ubiquiti, SonicWall, SonicPoint, and more, and this seems to be pretty much plug-and-play. For the most part, it's fairly straightforward and pretty simple to use.

I currently have it in half of our corporate offices, and I haven't heard any complaints about coverage. People can access it much more quickly. I hear positive feedback and I haven't heard any downsides. The coverage is better than expected.

We don't use the mesh, everything is hardwired directly. Each AP is directly hardwired to the switch which provides another signal. I haven't gotten into the mesh yet. That said, I don't see it being an issue.

Currently, I've seen about 75 to 80 users on 12 access points. I'm not sure exactly how many are on each access point, however, I would assume that about 10 to 12 users are on an access point. I’ve had up to 17 users at one point on one access point, and it seemed to be fine. I haven't reached its max limit of users quite yet. I'm also adding more and I haven't tested it with the max number of users.

I haven't seen a decrease in bandwidth. We went from Cisco to Aruba and we haven't seen a downgrade. As far as I know, the bandwidth is still the same.

It's super user-friendly.

If you need to remove or reset one to factory settings, you can do so if it is either online or offline. Once it gets back online, it hits the cloud and resets itself. I don't see a reason to have buttons on the APs. They're out in the open. Anybody could reach up and grab it, so it is less likely for something to happen there.

What needs improvement?

The only downside is that there are some bugs that I see.

Hardware-wise, the product is fine. Software-wise, I would like to have a way of moving APs from site to site and wish there would be a way to add more APs to one site. I know the limit is 25 APs per site and I wish there were more. I wish I could have all of my APs in one pane, rather than have multiple sites. For now, it'll do. Maybe there'll be an update in the future.

In addition, I wish I could add more admins to sites.

Aruba Instant On Access Points
    December 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Aruba Instant On Access Points. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We just implemented the solution. So far, we finished half of the implementation. We ordered 115 access points and we have about 30 in place.

For now, it seems pretty stable. I am not running into any issues right now. The only issue I've found is the AP lights. The AP told me that the codes and everything ran out of DHCP and I didn't have enough IPs. It's stable enough to let me know what the issue is with my network and that is pretty helpful.

It's scalable, yet limited to how you scale it. The APs are limited to 25 per site, and I have 70 APs. I'm going to have at least three sites, but I wish they would all be in one. That way, I could see it and not have to manage different sites. When I set up a network, I have to set it up on each site manually and that is a downside of this solution. I don't know of a way to set up or copy a site.

There are a lot of users. There are about eight IT employees that will be managing and helping with the product. Our company numbers about 1,000 people and is growing, so there will be more than 1,000 users. That's not including the clients that come in.

The solution comes with a one-year warranty and 90 days of phone support. I didn't realize it would come with that and I was already sold on the concept of ease of use and simplicity of it. It's a plus to know that it comes with a one-year warranty.

I haven't had any experience with technical support yet.

We used Cisco Aironet. The other side of the company did not have any wireless network, so this is the first wireless access point they installed. We're one big company and we merged with another company, so we're bringing them up to speed. They didn't have any wireless network in their building. This is better for them and is quite new.

In the beginning, the setup wasn't what I thought it was. After looking into it and focusing on it, it was pretty straightforward. Once I got one going, it was pretty much plug-and-play for the rest. The initial part might be challenging if you don't know much about networking. That said, anyone could figure it out even with a lack of IT knowledge. As long as you know your basic terminology in networking, know what your goal is, and how you want your network structured or wireless network structured, I'd say it's pretty simple.

The deployment is still ongoing. We're placing it in more than one county. I had 12 set up in a day or two. It didn't take long at all once I got the first going.

Right now, out of eight people, only two of us use it, set it up, and manage it. We don't need a lot of people for the setup or to manage it. Once set up, it's pretty much left alone.

The solution was received straight from the reseller, and I installed it and set it up. I meshed it and I didn't need outside assistance.

Right now, I can't say for sure that there is an ROI. I assume it will be seen soon, as long as the product lasts. If it only lasts us three years and they don't give us any problems, then I would assume we'll see an ROI. We haven't had that many problems with APs before, until recently. When we started to switch over, our APs were going out, however, they were already out of service life and out of date.

There is no licensing fee. There is a one-time purchase. There is no support after a certain amount of time, however, you could probably buy more support.

The price is $165 an AP. Even if something goes wrong, another $165 for a replacement wouldn't be a pain. It was a win in that sense. Plus, we don't need a license to make it work.

The cost of the solution includes everything we need to manage and upgrade our WIFI network, including the mobile management app.

The cost weighed a lot on the decision to go with this solution. It was nice not to worry about the need for a license in order for the units to work, as we had with Cisco. If you didn't have a license, then they were just a paperweight. Pricing and licensing were really big factors, and Aruba pretty much hit it out of the park.

We looked at Ruckus, WatchGuard, and Ubiquiti. Between simplicity, price point, and my sales rep, who was the one that said he had a good experience with Aruba, I was sold. I also liked their accessibility. All of the other APs seemed to be out of stock and on back order. We needed something fairly quick, and they had them in stock.

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise potential users to just buy the product. I do other consultant work, and I look forward to putting it in other places, due to its ease of use. It's up there with the name-brand APs, and I don't see it having an issue running with the other APs that cost three or ten times as much.

It doesn't have to be complex to run a wireless system. You've got three buttons on your app and that's what you really need.

I'd rate it an eight out of ten. I took a few points off due to the fact that the solution lacks some software.

Network Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    All-inclusive pricing, great for small offices, and simple to deploy and manage
    • "The app and the provisioning are the best features of the product. It was really impressive that I was able to just provision it remotely. I didn't have to be on-site with my friend, and we were just able to get everything up and operational. So, the app is great. It sends me notifications when things are down, and it tells me how everything is doing."
    • "When I first deployed the solution, I couldn't use a tagged VLAN for the management. It might already have been fixed in a recent firmware upgrade."

What is our primary use case?

There are a couple of different use cases. The first one is that I bought it for my home because I needed a dedicated Wi-Fi access point, and I was intrigued with the way it sets up. I enjoyed the performance of it, and I recommended it to a friend of mine who was totally non-tech savvy. The thing that was super cool about it was that he was able to plug it in at home, give me a phone call, read me the serial number, and I was able to provision it remotely.

I also use it at work. It is something that's convenient for other engineers to hop on real quick and do unhindered testing.

I'm using AP12, and I'm using the 1900 switch series. It is 1930 or something like that.

How has it helped my organization?

In my organization, our use case for the solution was end-to-end connectivity. In our office, we basically had wall jacks that were dedicated to out-of-band access. In terms of ease of use, I was able to drop this solution in and get it up and running very quickly. It brought deployment times to almost zero because it sets up in about five minutes.

Its physical coverage is good. I've got about a 1600-square-foot home, and I find that it covers all of the insides of my home fine. If I go out outdoors, then it starts to fall off, but it is totally acceptable for my use case.

The maximum number of devices that I've ever connected is about 30. The unit is rated for 64 or 128 users, which is beyond the scope of what I need. So, it falls within my parameters perfectly.

It meets my specification perfectly in terms of the reliability of the coverage when multiple user devices are simultaneously accessing the solution for bandwidth-intensive use.

What is most valuable?

The app and the provisioning are the best features of the product. It was really impressive that I was able to just provision it remotely. I didn't have to be on-site with my friend, and we were just able to get everything up and operational. So, the app is great. It sends me notifications when things are down, and it tells me how everything is doing.

Its mobile management app or the cloud-based web management app is easy to use, easy to read, and easy to navigate. I would classify it as a prosumer-type product. It is very well placed to compete in the Ubiquiti UniFi market. For someone who is non-technical or someone like myself who is quite technical, being able to drop in and just get it up and running quickly is valuable. It is positioned in a good spot where the functionality and ease of use are in a sweet spot.

What needs improvement?

When I first deployed the solution, I couldn't use a tagged VLAN for the management. It might already have been fixed in a recent firmware upgrade.

They should increase the number of devices that can be located at a site.

I would really like it if they added a dedicated router to the lineup. They've got dedicated access points and dedicated switches. Having a dedicated router would be the icing on the cake for the big picture of the whole solution.

It has probably been about a year.

I haven't seen any downtime specific to the solution. It is 100% stable. I am removing other factors that aren't related to the product.

Its scalability needs improvement. You can only put 32 pieces per site. So, there is a limit on scalability.

Currently, we have between 30 and 40 users of this solution. They are home office users, and there is also the engineering staff to do all sorts of network testing.

Its use case is pretty isolated. We purchased it to fulfill a very niche scenario, and we don't have any plan to expand its usage beyond what it currently is.

I've never had to utilize that.

We did not have anything in place previously. We were just using dedicated wired connections.

It was straightforward and easy. We just popped it out of the box. There were about five steps in the instructions. They were straightforward.

There was some infrastructure work, but that wasn't specific to the product. I had to pull infrastructure to the location where the access point was going to be ultimately installed, but that would've been required for any solution. Popping it up on the ceiling and getting the unit online took about 15 minutes.

Once it is set up, it is super easy to manage. I don't even think about it. The updates are scheduled automatically, and I'm only really notified if there is a problem. It is simple.

We didn't use an integrator or reseller for the deployment. For its deployment and maintenance, we don't have any dedicated staff.

For setting it up and managing it, very little knowledge is needed. It would be more than your average consumer, which is why I label the product as a prosumer product. Someone who's a little bit better than the average consumer would be able to pick this product up and get it operational.

I don't know how to quantify that.

The cost of the solution includes everything we need to manage and upgrade our Wi-Fi network, including the mobile management app. Having the licensing and all the functionality built into the base price of the product is really important for me.

There are no extra costs for the security feature or automatic software/firmware updates, which is really important to me. In enterprise-type environments, the biggest thing that's always pushed down is the recurring cost in terms of support licensing, etc. In a small office or home office solution, a lot of times, those recurring costs don't fit the budget. So, being able to drop a solution and have it all baked in really sells the product.

We didn't evaluate other solutions. We were using Aruba Controller, the enterprise solution. It just made sense for us to try the Instant On product. We just jumped right into it.

What other advice do I have?

It comes with a one-year warranty and 90 days of phone support, which is a
    pretty standard thing.

For small office or home office type scenarios, I would recommend going for it. It is a great solution. For large-scale enterprise deployments, it is probably not the right solution.

I would rate it a solid eight out of ten.

Aruba Instant On Access Points
    December 2022
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    IT Specialist at GKDG
    Is easy to manage, has a very nice interface, and looks nicer on the ceiling
    • "The coverage Aruba provides across the physical area is much better. Most probably because of the new technology, the 4x4 antenna, and everything around it. It's just a much better, easier to use, and easier to manage product."
    • "If there's a way to get a floor map of our office space so we can place the access points on a map to be able to see what's what, where everything is going, where the most traffic is being connected, that would be a nice feature."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to give users access to WiFi in the office.

What is most valuable?

Aruba Instant on Access Points is easy to manage, has a very nice interface, and looks nicer on the ceiling.

The coverage Aruba provides across the physical area is much better. Most probably because of the new technology, the 4x4 antenna, and everything around it. It's just a much better, easier to use, and easier to manage product.

The cloud-based solution is very easy to set up and easy to manage. You get reporting on it, alerts, and everything.

There is no need to have any physical buttons on the devices, when it's done through the cloud interface, everything is perfect. The full functionality of doing changes on it automatically gets applied to the access points.

It's just a perfectly working product.

What needs improvement?

If there's a way to get a floor map of our office space so we can place the access points on a map to be able to see what's what, where everything is going, where the most traffic is being connected, that would be a nice feature. We had it on Ruckus Access Points. But it's not a must, based on the trade-off of price versus functionality, there's nothing that I would expect to be better than what it is.

We have been using Aruba for a month or so.

I didn't run a stress test because we don't have that many users, but it definitely works perfectly for the amount of users we have. We have up to 20 to 25 users at a time, we never had more than 25 users. Everything looks very good.

Everything works perfectly as expected, with no drop in usage or connectivity. By 20 users you don't see a difference.

We're going to have a big conference. We're going to have probably 100 users using it. This will be the first time we're going to have that many users. And I will have more input on the reliability when it comes to a lot of users.

It's always on. Everything is perfect.

We only have four access points. I don't see a reason why doing more should make a difference.

We went away from the FortiAP to Aruba Instant On and it's much smoother in transitioning, going from one access point to another and the speed on it is much better.

We moved to a new location, so instead of taking Fortinet along, we decided to buy new access points, to try out the new equipment and the new technology. It has better beamforming for the WiFi signal. And it's just a better product.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward for these devices. You just put in the serial number online and power on the device. It finds it and everything is instantly on.

It's very easy to manage. There's almost no manageability to it.

You need much less IT experience or knowledge to set up and manage this solution than I have. I have a lot of experience and a lot of knowledge. You could give it to a new graduate IT person or even no IT knowledge, once it's set up, everything is extremely easy to manage. Maybe to set it up you need a little bit of knowledge, but that's it.

The deployment took ten minutes.

It's not expensive and it comes with everything included. There's no need to buy extra stuff on both, like hardware and software support.

It's very well priced. I can't see that anyone could be cheaper or better.

It is important to us that there are no extra costs for the solution's security features.

You buy the product with all the features. Security-wise and manageability, you don't have any extra costs out of pocket. You pay below $200 for an access point. It's a very good price and everything's included, there's nothing extra.

I reached out to our vendor to ask about the cheapest and best solution. If I would need to go with a new WiFi solution, something that wouldn't require us to have an extended payment plan in order to use it. Meraki and other places use cloud management where you need to pay an annual fee in order to use it. They recommended Aruba and I decided to go ahead.

What other advice do I have?

It seems like Aruba is the best product out there at this point for a small business.

Based on my experience, this should be the easiest to use with the least overhead in order to run it because you don't need to have the Cloud Management included. There is no extra equipment onsite or services to run onsite in order to manage it. There are no extra costs to continue using the cloud for how long you want, based on what Aruba is claiming.

At this point in time, I see this for small to medium businesses that don't have in-house IT or a lot of extensive knowledge IT people on-premise. This should be the easiest and most cost-effective WiFi solution to deploy.

I would rate it a ten out of ten. The only reason I would have gone down to nine is because of the phone support. I didn't have a chance to check that the phone support is only for the first 90 days. And the hardware warranty is only for a year. I didn't know that they only have 90 days.

It seems like a solid product. I don't see a real reason why I will need even support but if I could extend the hardware warranty on it for a longer period of time because I didn't use it that long, I don't know maybe in three years from now it will fail, I want to be able to get that replacement if needed.

Solutions Consultant at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
    Flexible, reliable, and has failover capabilities
    • "The initial setup is very simple."
    • "It's only suitable for smaller offices. It doesn't scale well."

What is our primary use case?

It's a wireless WAN solution.

What is most valuable?

The Virtual Controller feature is great.

It is a flexible solution. You do not have to purchase a separate wireless controller. You can use, for example, only the access point.

The initial setup is very simple.

It's stable and reliable.

We really like that the solution offers the ability to do a cluster. One AP can act as a master controller. If that AP goes down, another in the cluster can take over. It allows for an effective failover scenario.

What needs improvement?

We've had some small issues with stability in terms of replacing the real controller.

It's only suitable for smaller offices. It doesn't scale well.

They could be more flexible with pricing and lower costs.

It would be ideal if they could reduce the time to failover.

I've been using the solution for maybe two years.

The stability is great. I would rate it eight out of ten in terms of reliability. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

It is not a very scalable product. It's great for small offices, not big organizations.

We have maybe 300 users at this time.

We've never dealt with Aruba technical support yet.

It's easy to set up and implement. It's not overly complex.

We have two or three admins that can assist with any deployment or maintenance tasks. One admin can easily manage 16 APs for 300 users.

The cost of the solution can be a bit high. There are options from China that you can get for a lower cost. I'd rate the affordability a two out of five.

We've compared the solution to Cisco Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Aruba and HP.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. We've been happy with the overall capabilities.

Network and Security Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reseller
    Easy to manage, highly reliable, and flexible for small environments
    • "The most valuable feature of Aruba Instant On Access Points is they are easy to manage."
    • "It is scalable to a certain degree but not nearly as scalable and robust as your enterprise-grade solutions."

What is our primary use case?

Aruba Instant On Access Points is used to access a network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Aruba Instant On Access Points is they are easy to manage.

I have used Aruba Instant On Access Points within the last 12 months.

Aruba Instant On Access Points is stable. It's using the same radio elements of Omni antennas that most of the enterprise-grade solutions are using, but the intelligence is a little less.

Aruba Instant On Access Points is suitable for small to medium-sized businesses.

It is scalable to a certain degree but not nearly as scalable and robust as your enterprise-grade solutions.

If your initiative is WiFi first or if you have a WiFi first initiative, wouldn't use this solution. I'd choose the tumultuous enterprise-grade solutions.

The implementation of the Aruba Instant On Access Points is simple and flexible for smaller environments.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others looking to purchase Aruba Instant On Access Points is it does not matter what access point you purchase. Most of them are within the specifications and the standards of the IEEE nowadays. Look at your infrastructure first. Make sure layer one of your infrastructure, is in good shape because if not, you can buy a $10,000.00 access point and it's not going to do anything for you. If you don't have sufficient infrastructure with the correct bandwidth and your backend support from your routers and switches. If they're not robust, then spending good money on a robust wireless solution is worthless.

I rate Aruba Instant On Access Points a seven out of ten.

Senior Consultant Network at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Has good performance, comes with many features, and is perfect for small and medium sites
    • "Its performance is very good. It suits small and medium sites very well."
    • "If anything, its reporting could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use it for offices.

What is most valuable?

Its price is fair, and you get many features with it.

Its performance is very good. It suits small and medium sites very well.

What needs improvement?

If anything, its reporting could be improved.

At the moment, I don't see any new features that we really need.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

Their support is fine.

Its setup is very easy.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good solution. I would recommend it to others, but it has its own use case. I can't use it everywhere. It is not suitable for a big site.

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Manager at Mars Fishcare
    Works perfectly, good technical support, one of the best

What is our primary use case?

I have installed Aruba Instant On Access Points in a place where the WiFi works better on my site.

What is most valuable?

When an error or alert happens, I receive it in the application. I do not have to be there to know if something is wrong.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a feature that blocks, increases, or decreases bandwidth capacity for devices.

I have been working with Aruba Instant On Access Points for over a year now.

The stability is good.

We have between thirty and forty people currently using it.

Technical support is good and I have not had any issues at all.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Aruba Instant On Access Points a ten out of ten. It works perfectly and I think it is the best solution.

Download our free Aruba Instant On Access Points Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: December 2022