WebLogic Suite OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

WebLogic Suite is the #10 ranked solution in top Application Infrastructure tools. PeerSpot users give WebLogic Suite an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. WebLogic Suite is most commonly compared to Oracle SOA Suite: WebLogic Suite vs Oracle SOA Suite. WebLogic Suite is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Application Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is WebLogic Suite?

Oracle WebLogic Suite is an integrated solution for building onpremise cloud application infrastructures that span web server, application server and data grid technology tiers. It includes Oracle WebLogic Server, an application server for developing and deploying applications across conventional and cloud environments, Oracle Coherence Enterprise Edition, Oracle Web Tier, Oracle TopLink, Oracle Java Mission Control and Flight Recorder, and other component technologies.

WebLogic Suite Customers

State Revenue Office Victoria, Colab Consulting Pty. Ltd., Reliance Commercial Finance, Center for Railway Information Systems, Sascar, Banca Transilvania, UL, Chhattisgarh Infotech and Biotech Promotion Society, MCB Bank, Pacfico Seguros Generales

WebLogic Suite Video

WebLogic Suite Pricing Advice

What users are saying about WebLogic Suite pricing:
  • "The cost of the WebLogic Suite license is a bit high."
  • "There is a license required for this solution and the price could be reduced."
  • WebLogic Suite Reviews

Venkatraman Bhat - PeerSpot reviewer
    Deliver Head - Database and Infrastructure cloud services at Tech Mahindra Limited
    Robust, scalable, can be deployed faster, and provides excellent technical support
    • "What I've been seeing as the most valuable characteristics of WebLogic Suite include robustness and scalability. It's a really good solution, and I'm not saying this because my company is a partner of WebLogic Suite. I also like that with the newer versions of the solution, you can deploy WebLogic Suite faster. Oracle also provides excellent technical support."
    • "I noticed a few areas for improvement in WebLogic Suite. If you use the pure play higher-availability features, then yes, it can be switched over to the other system from the high-availability point of view, but that comes with a certain price. If you prefer simpler high-availability, that requires manual intervention. I'd also recommend a tuning feature in WebLogic Suite because it's not self-tuning, and this means you need thorough expertise to do the tuning and leverage the best benefit out of it. If Oracle makes WebLogic Suite automated or self-driven, then it becomes a wonderful product, similar to what Oracle did for the Autonomous Database which is self-driven or has an autonomous operating system. If automation is added in the next release of the solution, combined with more affordable pricing, though as a technical person, I know how much goes into having automation as a feature, and it could be difficult to lower the price, but if Oracle can do it, then that would make WebLogic Suite better."

What is our primary use case?

We have two sets of use cases for WebLogic Suite. There are customers who use the solution with Oracle COTS Applications which are Oracle built applications and are based on the Oracle Database, and they use WebLogic Suite as a web server.

Other customers use the solution for their homegrown or third-party applications. They develop their own Java applications and deploy those applications on the WebLogic Suite server, so they use the solution both as an application server and web server, making the solution applicable for any type of business purpose. for example, small applications for attendance, swiping, biometric, etc., and hosting those applications to the core enterprise applications, or even the technological applications. WebLogic Suite can host and support all those applications.

What is most valuable?

What I've been seeing as the most valuable characteristics of WebLogic Suite include robustness and scalability. It's a really good solution, and I'm not saying this because my company is a partner of WebLogic Suite.

I also like that with the newer versions of the solution, you can deploy WebLogic Suite faster.

Oracle also provides excellent technical support.

What needs improvement?

I noticed a few areas for improvement in WebLogic Suite. If you use the pure play higher-availability features, then yes, it can be switched over to the other system from the high-availability point of view, but that comes with a certain price. If you prefer simpler high-availability, that requires manual intervention.

I'd also recommend a tuning feature in WebLogic Suite because it's not self-tuning, and this means you need thorough expertise to do the tuning and leverage the best benefit out of it. If Oracle makes WebLogic Suite automated or self-driven, then it becomes a wonderful product, similar to what Oracle did for the Autonomous Database which is self-driven or has an autonomous operating system.

If automation is added in the next release of the solution, combined with more affordable pricing, though as a technical person, I know how much goes into having automation as a feature, and it could be difficult to lower the price, but if Oracle can do it, then that would make WebLogic Suite better.

I've been using and working on WebLogic Suite for the last fifteen to seventeen years.

November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, F5, Apache and others in Application Infrastructure. Updated: November 2022.
    653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.

WebLogic Suite is a stable product.

WebLogic Suite is scalable, and it can handle a large volume of transactions, data, and even user load on whatever system.

The technical support for WebLogic Suite is wonderful. My company gets excellent support from Oracle.

The initial setup for WebLogic Suite on the cloud is just "Click, click, click", and that's it. It's very easy. Though the on-premise edition of the solution needs some installation and configuration, it still isn't so tough or complex. It has become easier nowadays, particularly in the last two versions of WebLogic Suite, where the setup has been quite easy and straightforward. Enabling the features of the solution isn't that difficult as well. It's easy. On the cloud, setting up WebLogic Suite is pretty easy.

The cost of the WebLogic Suite license is a bit high.

What other advice do I have?

I have hands-on experience with WebLogic Suite, and I've used the solution for the last twelve months where I work on it, manage the projects, and propose the use of WebLogic Suite and various versions of it for the last fifteen to seventeen years.

The organization I work with is a partner of WebLogic Suite.

My team has worked with different versions of the solution, but because of modernization, digital transformation, and cloud migration, customers want to upgrade to the latest version of WebLogic Suite.

Maintaining WebLogic Suite doesn't even require one full FTE if you have one production server and a handful of non-production servers. Partial FTE effort is more than enough after you implement the solution. One person can take on the role of a WebLogic Suite admin, a database admin, an operating system admin, and an application admin. In this way, you can effectively utilize one person. WebLogic Suite isn't that demanding in terms of required effort. It's a simple solution.

My advice to people looking into implementing WebLogic Suite is that many compare this product with some open-source product available online or on the market, and you shouldn't do that because you can't compare a licensed product such as WebLogic Suite with freeware or open-source type of products. What you have to do is to assess your requirements and compliances properly, including the security aspects, maintainability, administrative aspects, and scalability of the solution. After that, you can start comparing WebLogic Suite with other products in the same class or level, for example, with enterprise-class and modular suite types of products. Once you finalize it, then you can move forward. In terms of performance and administration, WebLogic Suite is a good product, and its only shortcoming is that the license cost for it is a bit high, but it's on an enterprise-level, and if you're focused on compliance, reporting, features, and standards, then better go with WebLogic Suite as it works across all industries.

I would rate WebLogic Suite nine out of ten.

Amir-Khanof - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Manager at Royal Visio
    Reseller
    Console and enterprise management tools are really easy to work and it handles all environments
    • "Robust solution; console and enterprise management tools are really easy to work."
    • "Lacking a solution for smaller applications."

What is our primary use case?

I usually use the single model or the clustering model of the solution. We deploy the dual application, ADF application, and BPM application, and there is a different scenario for each of them even though they all use WebLogic services. Each use case is somewhat different. It is our customers that use WebLogic. I deal with mid-size companies and also enterprise size companies. We are resellers and I'm the technical manager.

What is most valuable?

WebLogic has a very robust server so the product is robust. If there are issues it's usually because there's been a misconfiguration or maybe the application deployed under the WebLogic server has errors. Another positive is that you don't need to go editing external files - the console and the enterprise management tools that Oracle provide for monitoring are really easy to work. The parameters and everything can be found on the console.

Another point is that it has a different way for configuring and working with the application server. You have the EM, the console, and the WLST which you can use the scripting for. You can even extract the WebLogic server from another dual application which can be used in a programming application so you have a console over their application service.

One other feature that is useful is that you can extract WebLogic from different scenarios and from different environments. Because it's based on Java you can run with WebLogic on a PC which has Windows on a server which has AIX or Linux or any other environments. It can handle all of the environments. There are so many good things about this application, I could go on for an hour.

What needs improvement?

I think the only area where Weblogic could be improved would be if they were to develop a solution for smaller applications. WebLogic is really a solution for enterprise companies, meaning that it requires a lot of RAM. Sometimes you're working on a smaller application but WebLogic still needs a huge amount of RAM for it to work. Jboss or Apache, on the other hand, would start with the minimum amount of RAM, for example, 300 megabytes and with WebLogic, you need 3GB or 4GB. Because it's very heavy, the extraction time is longer compared to other solutions. Jboss would start in seven seconds, whereas WebLogic would start in 40 or 50 seconds. If there was a light version of WebLogic that would be useful.

I would also like to be able to turn off features. For example, if I don't want to use the GMS, I can't turn it off.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

This is a very stable solution.

The product has great scalability. It can handle many concurrent users because of its coherent architecture.

We don't need any support for this solution but many of our customers get the Patch Updates from the Oracle website.

I think Oracle WebLogic and IBM Websphere are the best application servers that anybody can use for the Java application. I haven't worked with Websphere but from what I've read it's good, although it's only relevant for enterprise applications. Oracle WebLogic can be used for both enterprise and standard applications, and also in the development environment.If you're looking at midsize applications, then there are other competitors as well, whether from Oracle, Jboss, Tomcats, all of them. For enterprise applications, I think WebLogic and WebSphere are the two main players in the market.

The initial setup of WebLogic is very easy. You only need about 10 minutes to start the application. Compared to other Oracle products, it's very straightforward and easy to configure.

I'm not involved in licensing. I know that Oracle has a site called shop.oracle and you can check it there. There is a support team and online sales team that could help with that.

What other advice do I have?

If you take the time to go through the documentation of this product and its features you'll become familiar with the enterprise standards. It's a good path to becoming familiar with enterprise architecture. Even from an academic perspective, learning and using this application server can be a good start to understanding what can be achieved with an enterprise application server.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

November 2022
    653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Oracle SOA & J2EE Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Stable, good technical support, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are using WebLogic Suite for application insurance and consent of a user.

I have been using this solution for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable. However, the earlier versions of the solution were not as stable. I have used versions 7 through 12.

WebLogic Suite is scalable.

The technical support has been good from WebLogic Suite which is Oracle provides.

The installation was easy, it took approximately one week.

There is a license required for this solution and the price could be reduced.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate WebLogic Suite a nine out of ten.

Download our free Application Infrastructure Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, F5, Apache, and more!
    Updated: November 2022