IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

VMware Workspace ONE OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Workspace ONE is #3 ranked solution in top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. PeerSpot users give VMware Workspace ONE an average rating of 8 out of 10. VMware Workspace ONE is most commonly compared to Microsoft Intune: VMware Workspace ONE vs Microsoft Intune. VMware Workspace ONE is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is VMware Workspace ONE?

VMware Workspace ONE is an intelligence-driven digital workspace platform that delivers any app on any device. It integrates access control, multi-platform endpoint management, and application management. With the VMware Workspace ONE platform, IT teams can deliver a digital workspace that includes the devices and apps of the company’s choice, but with security and control.

VMware Workspace ONE is available:

• As a cloud service
  • On-premises
  • Hybrid

VMware Workspace ONE Key Features

• Simple app authentication: VMware Workspace ONE allows end-users to have password-less single sign-on, giving them access to virtually any app (mobile apps, web apps, cloud apps, and Windows apps).

• Unified Endpoint Management options: VMware Workspace ONE aims to support all devices, offering convenience, access, security, and management that will work for any business.

• Conditional access: VMware Workspace ONE provides a powerful policy engine to help you make dynamic decisions regarding end-user access rights and to protect sensitive information.

• Automated app management: With VMware Workspace ONE the application delivery process can be automated, which improves security and compliance. Software packages can be automatically installed, updated, and removed, and automated workflows can also be created.

VMware Workspace ONE Benefits

Some of the benefits of using VMware Workspace ONE include:

• Less IT intervention necessary: Because VMware Workspace ONE has simple app authentication, end-users can help themselves by selecting the applications they need rather than having IT intervene.

• Smoother employee onboarding: Transform employee onboarding by enabling self-service access to the apps your end-users need to complete their job duties.

• Compliance: VMware Workspace ONE helps end-users reach compliance by using advanced device restrictions.

• Real-time visibility: You can have real-time visibility with application, device, and console events that provide detailed information for system monitoring. You can also view logs in the console or export pre-defined reports.

Workspace ONE Components

• Workspace ONE Access
  • Workspace ONE UEM
  • VMware Workspace ONE® Intelligence
  • VMware Unified Access Gateway
  • Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub

Reviews from Real Users

Below is some feedback from our PeerSpot users who are currently using the solution:

PeerSpot user Patrick B., Cybersecurity Architect at a tech services company, says, "Its UI is extremely easy to use whether you're an advanced user or a novice user. When I first opened it up and had to learn the product, I was easily a novice. By the end of the third month, I was digging into the backend of the system and using it as a highly advanced user to accomplish what I needed to accomplish, and I was able to do it through the UI mostly."

Roshan T., Partner Manager North America at a tech company, mentions how satisfied he is with the product, saying, "You can put all your applications on a mobile device, be it a phone or tablet. It is secure and easy to use. Because it is centrally managed, you don't have to do any configuration on the phone. I just got the phone and connected to the central applications. I just downloaded one thing and everything got rolled out. Email, calendar, and other things were deployed centrally. If you don't have AirWatch, you have to configure your phone manually. For example, you need to deploy and configure your email manually and then synchronize everything. It is much simpler when a mobile device is centrally managed."

VMware Workspace ONE was previously known as VMware AirWatch.

VMware Workspace ONE Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware Workspace ONE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2022

VMware Workspace ONE Customers

Australian Sports Commission, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust, Lomond School, Merck, United Bank, Medical College of Wisconsin, Latymer Upper School, 2gether NHS Foundation Trust, Dowling Aaron Inc., Trillium Lakelands District School Board, Harrogate Grammar School, Duke University Football, Delta Air Lines, Adventist Health System, Giochi Preziosi, Cramlington Learning Village, Intermountain Healthcare, Safexpress, TAG Aviation

VMware Workspace ONE Video

VMware Workspace ONE Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware Workspace ONE pricing:
  • "The solution runs at roughly around $36/user for a year."
  • "It's definitely a bit on the expensive side. It is more for smaller organizations and not large, massive enterprises. I am not sure about any additional costs. As far as we could tell, the billing was what the billing was."
  • "It is quite expensive, but I think large companies have agreements with these organizations that provide remote monitoring for phones, and they get massive discounts. The public price does not reflect what they pay. You won't get the same pricing if you're buying for 10 employees versus 1,000 employees. On the public price, you get perhaps a 10% discount, but if you're buying 1,000, the discount could be really massive, especially if you signed a contract for a number of years."
  • "Workspace ONE is on the higher end of the pricing band when compared to other players in the market."
  • "For most of the projects, we use the standard license but for complex ones, we use the older type of processes, integrations, and licenses inside the solution."
  • "VMware Workspace ONE has a yearly license. You have to buy the license for one year at a time."
  • VMware Workspace ONE Reviews

Senior Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    MSP
    A straightforward setup with a good set of features and very good documentation
    • "The solution has very good documentation."
    • "I'd like to see expanded device support, particularly for IoT things like SCADA devices."

What is our primary use case?

We've had a full range of use cases. It's great for community colleges or remote workers. Onsite it can be on desktops or mobile. It has the ability to wipe mobile devices. You can lock them down or control them. Obviously, with COVID, the remote workforce has been a huge driver. I had one client that had a bunch of gyms where you got to work out and they deployed Workspace One across all of them and used that just to serve all the desktops. That way everything was uniform, and everything was the same patching level. It just simplified management. That's one example of a specific use-case.

How has it helped my organization?

You can always do more to gain network efficiency for delivery. At the end of the day, you're sending mouse clicks, keyboards, and screens out, and just improving delivery mechanisms. If you've got a full spectrum of consumers out there, they are there on everything. You've got everything from cellular service to multi-gigabit in homes these days. Just optimizing the network, that is a thing companies are going to chase - and that will be the case across all solutions.

What is most valuable?

The customer needed to cut their budget. They already owned Workspace One which was an additional cost. VMware just released an MDM-only version of Workspace One, which was much less and that met their budget needs. They were able to stay on the same platform and cut their budget as they needed. All of the features have been quite helpful. They are all equally powerful and equally valuable for businesses - however, for different reasons. It just depends on the business which features end up being the most valuable to them. Mainly, the solution offers a simplified administration, which is likely the biggest value for a business. The solution makes it possible for businesses to free their people up to think about the next steps for the business.  Particularly during COVID, everybody had to evolve all of their businesses to survive. Everyone has been looking for better ROI. The initial setup is pretty straightforward. The solution has very good documentation. We've found the solution to be very stable.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see expanded device support, particularly for IoT things like SCADA devices. That would be a huge benefit, especially as we automate more in production in the commercial sectors like manufacturing.
    VMware Workspace ONE
    April 2022
    Learn what your peers think about VMware Workspace ONE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2022.
    598,634 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for about three and a half years at this point. It's been a while now.

Overall I'm impressed with the solution. Some of the historical predecessors have not been as solid and stable as compared to Intune. VMware is adapting and scaling the Workstation One product line, and they likely just created the new MDM-only version to have something outside of Horizon for people who want only MDM.  That said, this is very stable. It doesn't have bugs or glitches and doesn't crash or freeze. It's very good.

We've found that the solution works just as well for small companies as it does for large ones. It works across the spectrum of business sizes very well.

I have had interactions with technical support. Each customer is different, however. Sometimes we get into some squirrely situations where we're trying to meet a weird customer need and have to pull them in.  I have found them to be very, very knowledgeable and very good at thinking out of the box. I've never had a bad experience with one of their engineers - even if they are trying to help me do something weird. When a customer wants to do something really weird, they find a way to make it work. I haven't had a situation where they couldn't make it work. We are extremely satisfied with their level of support.

The initial setup is not complex, especially if you're familiar with the VMware product line. It's very straightforward due to the fact that it's intuitive with our way of thinking. Most IT people will tell you if they came up with Microsoft or Cisco, whichever ecosystem, once they understood the mental model behind product design, then it didn't matter. They could find their way around anything new. The same is true with VMware. If a company is used to VMware tools and other areas, it'll transition straight across for that. In our case, we did an emergency deployment. What I would call a saturation deployment. We threw technical bodies at it to get it done faster. We turned it in in about 48 hours. The equipment came onsite.  Assuming the equipment's there, you can move fast. What might be an issue right now is lag time. The big lag time is just trying to get the equipment. Once it's was there, we were able to turn it around within 48 hours. It was for a 3,500 students community college that went overnight during COVID from classroom instruction to online.  Their first online classes were zoom. They deployed a whole bunch of low-cost laptops out there and they allowed people to bring their own devices if they had one, as long as the college could manage it. It was just kind of a rush, however, we got it out and deployed and we found that help desk calls were very low. It's just a combination of a great product and good documentation. In terms of maintenance, if it's MDM-only then you just need one person, maybe half time, for up to a thousand users. I've got one person at about 2,500 users right now. It's just a matter of how much change goes on in the environment, or if are you deploying new applications or iOS versions. If you are constantly turning over devices, you may need a bit more maintenance. Typically this type of work is assigned to an end-point administrator.

The solution runs at roughly around $36/user for a year. Companies just pay the basic fee. That's MSRP. They do sales off of that so that vendors can get discounts under certain circumstances. The price will vary, however, that's the MSRP on it. I've seen them go crazy at the company's year-end. Timing really can be everything.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a solutions architect for a VMware partner. I supervise the implementation team. There are engineers that are out there that implement it and do the post-implementation support as well. Largely, we are working with on-premises deployment models, however, we're working towards a hybrid deployment. It's hard for some organizations to break the old ways of thinking. They mistrust the cloud and while on-site is tried and true, and something you can put your hand on, it's just an education process and it takes time for companies to come around to the cloud is just as good. I would advise companies to not implement as you learn. Rather take time to understand the product and plan everything ahead. It will be easier. On a scale from one to ten. I'd put it at an eight. There's always room to improve and always room to grow. In comparison, for example, I'd rate Intune about a six, however, it's definitely coming.

JimSkidmore - PeerSpot reviewer
    Vice President, Solutions Group at Intigrow
    Reseller
    Quick to set up and easy to implement platform for monitoring and managing mobile endpoints
    • "VMware Workspace ONE is a platform that's really good at monitoring and managing mobile endpoints. It can be set up quickly and implemented easily. Technical support for this solution has always been good."
    • "Patching, fixing, and training for VMware Workspace ONE are areas that need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We used AirWatch or VMware Workspace ONE to protect mobile devices on a large scale. They were known for being focused on mobile, more than desktops. They may not be as good on desktops, but the main use case is to monitor and manage mobile endpoints, e.g. wireless devices such as  tablets and phones. AirWatch became well known for being really good at monitoring and managing mobile endpoints.

What needs improvement?

VMware Workspace ONE isn't that good with patching and fixing, especially when compared to BigFix. This is an area for improvement. BigFix did a really good job in terms of patching and fixing, but it had a lot to do with IBM's integration to virtually every other platform out there. That integration really helped from just a server patching and endpoint management situation.

They (IBM) are very good at doing discovery, which is basically surveying the endpoint asset and finding out what vulnerability was there. It might be you're running Windows 10.647, and there are known vulnerabilities below that, so the prioritization of that patching became easy to create rules for, and make sure that you patched all devices with that current OS expeditiously.

Training for VMware Workspace ONE could also be improved, especially when compared to HCL who did a good job, either remote or self-paced.

VMware support has always been good, even if they became a really large company. They have what I call "Amazonitus", e.g. there's a lot of level two triage or level one triage, but you definitely get a response back, though a lot of people have moved away towards self-service. The goal is never to take a phone call if they don't have to, which I understand.

Their tech support is still rock solid on both sides, but would really depend on the kind of problem you have.

The setup for VMware Workspace ONE is good, e.g. there are no complexities, and they all have good discovery now. You plug them in, make sure the nodes are aligned on the network, then you can get to them. The setup process for VMware Workspace ONE and one of its competitors IBM, is very good. They've both done a very good job of it.

I was able to evaluate HCL (BigFix), Microsoft, Blackberry, and Ivanti.

What other advice do I have?

AirWatch evolved into VMware Workspace ONE, so it's the same product. AirWatch was more of a competitor of mobile device management and security, so they weren't as good in patching and fixing.

There's another type of solution now that we call unified endpoint management (UEM), and that's a whole new category. I actually have quadrants in that. I know that AirWatch, even when they were acquired by VMware, e.g. it's now VMware Workspace ONE, was still highly rated. HCL is still highly rated. Microsoft was also good. Ironically, another company that was very good for mobile device management and one of the security companies out there is BlackBerry. They're still alive.

I've worked on most of the UEM solutions, including VMware Workspace ONE. For Blackberry, we haven't touched that lately. We have touched BigFix. I do have customers that are still running BlackBerry Spark®. I know even Google is trying to get in the game. Ivanti is also another UEM solution we've been dealing with. There are a number of different ones, e.g. even IBM has moved their MaaS360® platform to try to do unified endpoint management now.

The advice I'd like to give to others looking into implementing VMware Workspace ONE, is for them not to have any qualms about implementing it. Things are quick to set up, even if our team does some very hardcore security things, e.g. identity and access management, all kinds of threat landscape stuff, attack surface monitoring and modeling, etc. VMware Workspace ONE is one of the easier technologies that can be implemented for what we do, so I'm recommending it to others.

In terms of rating VMware Workspace ONE, there are a lot of "mini-categories", so they don't do some of the things I was talking about, or they're just newer into it. If I look at unified endpoint management, e.g. mobile, desktop, and everything combined, I would probably put BigFix high up there. For mobile, I would put VMware Workspace ONE high up there along with some others. Some of the SaaS ones, e.g. Tanium, do a good job, too. BlackBerry actually does a really good job with unified endpoint management, too. They just don't have billions of their devices out there, but in terms of managing their own devices, they were really the best in the early days, with a very secure platform.

HCL for UEM could be rated the best. For mobile, VMware Workspace ONE would rate the best, because they were really focused on that from the very beginning. They led the way, even if in that space you'll see 500 competitors, with people jumping up and jumping down, and constantly moving. VMware Workspace ONE in the mobile space has been very sustained in terms of how they've been rated and how they've grown over time. They owned the market with four or five of these solutions, and they were able to maintain the lead.

I could rate VMware Workspace ONE eight out of ten, but it would still depend on the use cases. BigFix is better for unified endpoint management, the ability to patch all assets, etc. VMware, on the other hand, is more focused on mobile. VMware being an infrastructure company and everybody inexpensively spinning up VMs all over the place: they've tried to pull that side a little more toward the infrastructure side, desktops, and PCs, and even on the networks, but both of them have grown tremendously.

In the last two or three years, for obvious reasons, with all the resiliency planning we do now for mobile workforces, it's really important for them to develop new capabilities, which I think they have, but this has been really good for their development. They've seen everything at this point.

VMware Workspace ONE
    April 2022
    598,634 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Patrick Black - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cybersecurity Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Good migration capabilities, clear and concise documentation, and extremely user-friendly UI
    • "Its UI is extremely easy to use whether you're an advanced user or a novice user. When I first opened it up and had to learn the product, I was easily a novice. By the end of the third month, I was digging into the backend of the system and using it as a highly advanced user to accomplish what I needed to accomplish, and I was able to do it through the UI mostly."
    • "This product makes use of SAML across the board, which has seven known security flaws. It would be good if the company created a way to protect against SAML flaws. One way would be to integrate a firewall server or an endpoint out in the cloud with which you could establish trust. If you knew nothing about SAML and you did some Google searches about what SAML is, what are the flaws, and what are the known vulnerabilities, eventually, you'll find that there are seven flaws. There are two methods that you can use to solve those seven problems. They essentially involve putting a firewall or putting rules, such as access controls, so that anybody in the world can't just come in, authenticate, and either be a good guy or be someone trying to knock on my door and get into my house. If I could eliminate that, it would be awesome."

What is our primary use case?

One of our customers used it for centralizing and managing the identity and access of a SaaS-based solution. They used Workspace ONE to provide identity-based services and authentication, such as MFA. It integrates with Microsoft Office, Google Cloud, and things of that nature.

It is deployed in the cloud with a tie-in. It synchronizes to on-prem.

How has it helped my organization?

It has really easy and quick onboarding. Its transition and migration capabilities have been very helpful as we transition applications to the cloud. It was a central piece for enabling that to happen very quickly.

What is most valuable?

Clear and concise documentation is most valuable. That's a feature for me.

Its UI is extremely easy to use whether you're an advanced user or a novice user. When I first opened it up and had to learn the product, I was easily a novice. By the end of the third month, I was digging into the backend of the system and using it as a highly advanced user to accomplish what I needed to accomplish, and I was able to do it through the UI mostly.

What needs improvement?

Support is probably the main challenge that we have. Their support was not very good. We had to tell them what we told them four or five times.

I used it about 30 days ago. It was a three-month project.

We didn't run into any bugs. In terms of performance, we didn't really test it for performance. We were not at all looking at performance metrics.

It seems like it would scale, but I can't really be sure because we did not test the scalability.

Our client has probably 2,000 people with all types of job roles. They are admins, engineers, and then there are regular users with no special privileges.

Their support needs to be improved. I don't know if this is a new area that the support people are learning, but the people supporting the product, or at least the people giving us the response back from support, were not very good. We had to tell them what we told them four or five times.

I didn't use any other solution previously.

There were five people involved. We had everyone from network architects to myself, an enterprise architect, and then we had representatives from each application. Everyone had their own little part to do, but the deployment was pretty straightforward and simple. It was so simple that we didn't believe some of the documentation. All you need to do is B and then C. It took having a little bit of faith and just walking through the instructions, and then, of course, we had to blow everything away and start again to try to repeat the deployment process so that we knew that all the steps were valid and accurate in multiple use cases, and they were.

It took us two and a half to three days to stand up the product. From there, onboarding applications went from two weeks to two days.

It requires ongoing maintenance. It's like running a cruise ship. You need to constantly monitor and maintain the product. We do that on behalf of our client.

It's definitely a bit on the expensive side. It is more for smaller organizations and not large, massive enterprises.

I am not sure about any additional costs. As far as we could tell, the billing was what the billing was.

What other advice do I have?

Workspace ONE is one component of the solution. It is not the solution in itself. Workspace ONE is the front door and the locking mechanisms of all the doors, but you only need that if you're going to build a house.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Roshan Teeluck - PeerSpot reviewer
    Partner Manager North America at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Secure, easy to use, centrally managed, and works well
    • "You can put all your applications on a mobile device, be it a phone or tablet. It is secure and easy to use. Because it is centrally managed, you don't have to do any configuration on the phone. I just got the phone and connected to the central applications. I just downloaded one thing and everything got rolled out. Email, calendar, and other things were deployed centrally. If you don't have AirWatch, you have to configure your phone manually. For example, you need to deploy and configure your email manually and then synchronize everything. It is much simpler when a mobile device is centrally managed."
    • "Its performance is quite good on Apple phones or even mid-range phones. If you install an AirWatch on a phone that is not too powerful, you will have performance issues. That's only because the phone is not too powerful, and there is not enough memory, etc. They could do a lighter version for a less powerful phone. It would also be useful for very small companies that don't want to spend money on expensive phones. Having said that, I don't think that is their target market. If their target market is enterprise, all enterprises perhaps have an agreement with Google or Apple, and they would get a phone that has already been tested, and they know that AirWatch will work on that phone."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy AirWatch on the mobile devices of our employees.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way our organization functions. It provides security. If you're giving phones to your employees, you want the platform to be secure. If an employee loses his or her phone or someone steals it, the data on the phone itself is secured because you can just centrally disable everything. So, you only lose the device but not the data. If you lose your phone and there is no AirWatch in it, you need to find other creative ways to disable or get your phone back.

It allows companies to apply rules related to company policy. You can use your phone like a normal device with the exception that it is being monitored by the company, which I don't mind because I use the phone exclusively for work.

What is most valuable?

You can put all your applications on a mobile device, be it a phone or tablet. It is secure and easy to use. Because it is centrally managed, you don't have to do any configuration on the phone. I just got the phone and connected to the central applications. I just downloaded one thing and everything got rolled out. Email, calendar, and other things were deployed centrally. If you don't have AirWatch, you have to configure your phone manually. For example, you need to deploy and configure your email manually and then synchronize everything. It is much simpler when a mobile device is centrally managed.

What needs improvement?

Its performance is quite good on Apple phones or even mid-range phones. If you install an AirWatch on a phone that is not too powerful, you will have performance issues. That's because the phone is not too powerful, and there is not enough memory, etc. They could do a lighter version for a less powerful phone. It would also be useful for very small companies that don't want to spend money on expensive phones. Having said that, I don't think that is their target market. If their target market is enterprise, all enterprises perhaps have an agreement with Google or Apple, and they would get a phone that has already been tested, and they know that AirWatch will work on that phone.

I have been using this solution for three months.

It is stable. There are no issues or bugs at this moment. In the earlier versions, there were some bugs, but they have fixed those. My experience is only with iOS, and it seems stable. I have got an Apple device. iOS is a quite stable platform, and they have tuned it to work really well with iOS and even Android.

My company is quite big, and it seems good for big companies. It is for the enterprise environment. You won't use AirWatch for one or two individuals. You use it when you have a quite sizable mass of employees. In our company, it is being used by sales professionals, VPs, and C-levels.

I have not used their technical support. After you do the installation, usually you shouldn't have any problem unless there is a hardware issue with the phone itself. If there is any problem with AirWatch, they should be able to fix it from there because everything is centrally managed.

When I joined the company, they gave me the phone and asked me to install AirWatch, so that was it.

It is quite straightforward for technical and non-technical people. You just press next and read what you're doing, and that's it. It is nothing too complex.

It is quite expensive, but I think large companies have agreements with these organizations that provide remote monitoring for phones, and they get massive discounts. The public price does not reflect what they pay. You won't get the same pricing if you're buying for 10 employees versus 1,000 employees. On the public price, you get perhaps a 10% discount, but if you're buying 1,000, the discount could be really massive, especially if you signed a contract for a number of years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate AirWatch a nine out of ten. It is quite good, and I have a good experience with it. The phone has never failed, so it is working well.

Private Cloud

Other
    JagdishRao - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Account Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Wide range of features and has great technical support
    • "The Identity component of this solution is its most valuable feature."
    • "They need a more flexible pricing model."

What is most valuable?

Workspace ONE has a pretty broad range of features and capabilities. It's like a market-wide buffet that hasn't yet spread out. However, when compared to its competitors, such as Microsoft Intune, Intune is behind the game, but it has been catching up in terms of the capabilities and features that it now has to offer.

The Identity component of this solution is its most valuable feature.

VMware provides a wide range of services that are second to none.

What needs improvement?

They need a more flexible pricing model.

I have been working with VMware Workspace ONE for four years.

In terms of stability, I would say VMware Workspace ONE is fairly stable, but not every OEM vendor in the world can provide products that are error-free. When it comes to fixing errors, I believe VMware is on the right track. The problems aren't bothering the customers.

There are some errors but nothing that is of concern and it gets corrected quickly.

When compared to its competitors such as Microsoft, VMware is a much more scalable product, in my opinion.

When it comes to their SaaS offering, I would say the product is a little more flexible and scalable.

In terms of support, I would say it is adequate. When compared to Microsoft, I would say VMware support is excellent. However, there are times when you need to escalate certain issues in order to gain traction. And if you're not getting anywhere with your support cases, you may need to escalate internally.

Previously, I worked with Microsoft Intune.

Microsoft's licensing is more flexible and adaptive, in my opinion. In Microsoft, you pay for whatever you use. In terms of services, it is more evenly distributed. You only need to pay for one license to get access to a suite of products. From your office to your endpoint, you are essentially managing your endpoint. Everything is combined into a single console. somewhat more flexible on the Microsoft side, which is lacking on the VMware side.

In terms of features, I believe VMware has struck the right chord. However, there are some features in Microsoft that are lacking. I'm confident that Microsoft will try to catch up over time, and it will be there, within the next year or two.

I would say it was a straightforward process because if you are a potential lead for the product, the relevant stakeholders, such as the sales team, take action and then convert it. They perform POCs.

I would say that at the very least the pricing needs to be revised. Workspace ONE is on the higher end of the pricing band when compared to other players in the market.

Pricing may need to be subsidized.

The price is reasonable given the features that Workspace ONE provides.

Not every company or every organization in the world can afford the VMware Workspace ONE just for the features. Some companies might be using some of the features, and they will have to pay for the rest of the features, even if they are not utilizing them.

What other advice do I have?

I am not currently affiliated with any company, such as a solution provider, an MSP, or a product company that sells this product. I'm now more interested in DevOps.

I haven't been in touch with MDM technology in about six to eight months. We were gold-certified partners with VMware, as well as Microsoft.

I was a partner selling services and developing solutions for their customers.

I would advise them to first prioritize what they want to achieve. Rather than wandering aimlessly through the market in search of a specific product. First, they must understand or, more likely, articulate their use cases. And then, based on the pricing model, decide whether they want a lot more features so that they can use the services later on, rather than just going with whatever players are available in the market.

Make certain that it is the solution you require.

I would rate VMware Workspace ONE an eight out of ten.

Thiago Lima Soneti Da Silva - PeerSpot reviewer
    Service Success Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Reseller
    Utilization of many application, useful Kiosk mode, and helpful customer support
    • "The most valuable feature depends on the use case of the clients. However, one feature I like is the Kiosk Mode. In the Kiosk Mode in most cases, the clients only can make available one application developed by the solution and permit the employee or the final client to use only this one application for interaction. This provides a security control layer limiting only one application functionally."
    • "There are other solutions that might be better for certain use cases. This is not an all-purpose solution."

What is our primary use case?

The solution has VMware Horizon embedded which allows the utilization of many types of applications. We inform our clients how they can use this tool to convert applications and move them inside any type of device, such as tablets and smartphones.

There is a lot to learn in the process, you need to create a new policy to include mobility and security. The security policy is important when it comes to mobility. You have VMware Workspace ONE with Horizon, to bring the older type of devices, such as bring your own device (BYOD), all consolidated in the same console.

You can make many types of applications available, not only applications developed for mobility or smartphone but any older types of applications can be brought together. We showcase all these features to our clients for them to have an understanding of what can be created by this type of system. Because of the pandemic, the mobility market here in Brazil will soon grow and there is a need for innovating, the purchases of this solution have grown a lot in the last year.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature depends on the use case of the clients. However, one feature I like is the Kiosk Mode. In the Kiosk Mode in most cases, the clients only can make available one application developed by the solution and permit the employee or the final client to use only this one application for interaction. This provides a security control layer limiting only one application functionally.

What needs improvement?

There are other solutions that might be better for certain use cases. This is not an all-purpose solution.

I have been using this solution for approximately six years.

The solution is stable.

VMware provides the use of the cloud which allows the client the ability to create more research inside this environment and can expand quite well.

If the client has an on-premise solution or has an older environment there can be some challenges. I need to understand if more storage, virtual machines, or other types of additions is need to be made to create a higher availability. It is important for the client to share with me the limitations of their operation to allow me to figure out a proper solution to get around their limitations.

The technical support is very good. The agent was always helpful and responsive.

I have previously used MobileIron and Intune and along with this solution, are the top three. Depending on the use case, one might be better than the other and the main difference is the cost.

The installation and configuring of the solution are easy for a beginner. We help clients with some parts of the environment if needed but mostly the solution is straightforward to understand.

In a standard version, one week is enough to start using the solution, configuring the GUI, and getting through any obstacles that might be encountered. At this point, there can be discussions about the cost. The disadvantage of the older type of license is I need more time to understand the whole installation environment and processes. For example, whether I need to do some integrations or not.

We do the implementation of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

Apple and Google need to improve the APIs internally to permit VMware access to updates and use this to create granular security policies inside devices, such as smartphones and tablets. A lot of the time we have to use an older approach because Google and Apple do not release these APIs to VMware. However, they release the same APIs for their own solutions, for example, Apple uses their own configuration.

I rate VMware Workspace ONE a nine out of ten.

Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Stable and scales well but needs better training
    • "We've found the solution to be easy to use."
    • "Technical support needs to be more responsive to our requests."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is primarily used for mobility services. The solution has been mainly used for multiple platforms, including Android, Linux-based services, Windows, and MacBooks. If you want to access your organization data from anywhere, from any device, you do it via this solution.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The solution scales well.

We've found the solution to be easy to use. Compared to other products, this is much better for MBM products.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to offer better training. We need to understand items such as third-party integration capabilities or new features before we start to work on a new implementation. Sometimes, this isn't clear and it can affect our work. The training that is available is quite expensive for us. They need to make it much more reasonable so that we can afford to be properly trained and informed.

Technical support needs to be more responsive to our requests. If something happens on a weekend, we won't get any help until at least the next business day.

I've been using the solution for the past two years at this point.

The product is very stable. We don't experience bugs or glitches per se. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is quite scalable. If a company wants to expand it, they can. It's not difficult.

Currently in my organization, we are using the solution for 300 people. However, I have done installations for approximately five to six clients. In the last one and a half years I have done installations for different types of devices and have handled anywhere from 5,000 devices, and users all the way up to 10,000 users. In the latest deployment I'm working on has 30,000 users.

Technical support is pretty good. That said, if something happens on a weekend, we won't be able to get the support we need. It also sometimes takes a while to get everything resolved. We might have to email back and forth two or three times. It really should be faster.

I also have experience with Jamf Pro, however, that solution is specifically used for Apple products.

The initial setup can be straightforward, however, it depends on the installation requirements and the clients' requirements. It depends on if they want the DR setup or a DC or SA set up, and/or clustering. If the requirements increase, the time it takes will increase as well. If the prerequisite has been done clearly previous to the starting of the installation, then it will take much less time.

I implement the solution on behalf of clients.

I don't handle licensing or billing. Therefore, I'm not sure what the total cost is to our organization. I don't know if it's overly expensive or fairly reasonable. I'm purely a technical team member.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the latest version of the solution.

I'm not a client. I'm an architect of Workspace ONE. I implement the solution for clients, so I don't use it directly per se. I implement all deployment models, both cloud and on-premises.

I'd recommend the solution to other companies.

Overall, I've been pretty satisfied with the solution. I would rate it at a seven out of ten. It has all of the features I need. We just need to be better informed when there are new features or changes.

PetterVestengen - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    User-friendly, scalable, and stable digital platform for app delivery and management
    • "App delivery and management platform that's user-friendly, with a good interface. Easy to scale, easy to set up, with good stability."
    • "Integration with Microsoft needs improvement. There are some dependencies with Microsoft that aren't 100% yet, for example: compliance synchronization."

What is our primary use case?

VMware Workspace ONE is used mainly for mobile device management.

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable in VMware Workspace ONE is that it's user-friendly. It has a good interface for users to get access to applications and files. It's also a good source of feedback between IT and users.

What needs improvement?

A room for improvement for this product is its integration with Microsoft. It could be better, though most of it is there. There are some dependencies with Microsoft that aren't 100% yet, for example: compliance synchronization. It's something VMware is probably working on, but that's what's missing currently.

I've been working with VMware Workspace ONE for six years.

VMware Workspace ONE is a stable solution.

VMware Workspace ONE is scalable. When they're in the cloud, scaling will be handled by VMware, but for on-premises environments, it's easy to scale up if you need more resources for servers.

VMware technical support is good. It depends on what trouble we get, but if there's a known fix, they're able to fix it fast. If there's a fix that needs to be created, they will focus on it and prioritize it.

The initial setup for this solution is straightforward, especially because I've done this for six years. If you know what you're doing, setting it up is easy.

This solution was implemented in-house. I could probably have done everything, but I don't have time to do everything myself, so we work as a team and share tasks between us. We don't need VMware tech support for the deployment, not unless we find some bugs.

VMware Workspace ONE has a yearly license. You pay upfront for one year. You have to buy licenses for one year at a time.

I evaluated Microsoft Enterprise Mobility.

What other advice do I have?

I work as a consultant, so I'm working with VMware Workspace ONE for my customers. I work with several different versions of this solution, but mostly with the latest version, and it will also depend on the requirement. Deployment is both on-premises and on cloud.

Completing the deployment for a cloud configuration of VMware Workspace ONE depends on how much you want to do, but a good, basic configuration could take three to five days.

We work with different customers, so this solution scales from a few hundred to several thousand users. I'm working mainly with iOS, Android, and macOS. They also have colleagues that handle the Windows desktop configurations.

The number of people needed for a VMware Workspace ONE deployment varies. I can't do everything alone, but if you are running it on-premises, the company should have resources, including handling vacations and sickness. There should be available resources for its deployment.

I'm giving VMware Workspace ONE a score of eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
    Download our free VMware Workspace ONE Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: April 2022