VMware SD-WAN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware SD-WAN is the #3 ranked solution in SD-WAN tools, top WAN Edge tools, and top Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) tools. PeerSpot users give VMware SD-WAN an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. VMware SD-WAN is most commonly compared to Cisco SD-WAN: VMware SD-WAN vs Cisco SD-WAN. VMware SD-WAN is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
VMware SD-WAN Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware SD-WAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is VMware SD-WAN?

VMware Software-Defined Wide Area Network (SD-WAN) is a secure access service edge (SASE) platform that combines many types of software-based network technologies in an attempt to enable users to virtualize their wide area networks and reduce their reliance on hardware. In essence, this solution makes it possible for users to reliably access their applications from anywhere in the world by leveraging cloud technologies. Users can simply, efficiently, and completely control their network devices and traffic. It ensures that organizations are always able to use the best possible connection to their data centers. VMware SD-WAN steers traffic so that it is always using the most reliable connections and at the same time takes steps to remediate any problems that it detects in other network links. This guarantees that organizations can access high-priority applications at all times.

VMware SD-WAN Benefits

Some of the ways that organizations can benefit by deploying VMware SD-WAN include:

• Reduced cost of network management. Organizations that choose to employ VMware SD-WAN can manage their network at a cost that is 2.5 times less expensive than what it costs to use traditional WAN architectures. Its ability to both augment existing hardware and replace said hardware if the user chooses to do so is part of what enables users to reduce their overhead costs.
  • Ease of deployment. VMware SD-WAN makes it possible for organizations to deploy it without having to rely on the assistance of technical experts. When the device - whether virtual or otherwise - is connected to the internet, it integrates with a central orchestrator that pushes the correct integrations to the device in question. This automates the installation process and makes it so that anybody can initiate and follow the deployment through to the end of the process.
  • Easily segment networks to improve environmental performance. Users can divide their networks into multiple segments that share a single IP address. These networks can be incorporated into an organization’s IT infrastructure and enable it to run more reliably. One way it does this is by providing multiple potential channels for data to use to travel in the event that one of the data pathways is suffering from some kind of issue.

VMware SD-WAN Features

• Centralized monitoring. VMware SD-WAN is monitored at all times by a centralized orchestrator. From one place, an organization can watch every part of its network. Instead of having to search for the data they need, it can all be found in one location.
  • Integration capabilities. VMware SD-WAN offers users the capability to integrate their network with the environment of their choosing. This enables them to connect their network to the IT environment that best meets their needs. It makes it easy for them to work with multi-cloud and hybrid environments.
  • Real-time data analytics. VMware SD-WAN can analyze network data in real time. This makes it easy for users to monitor their network’s performance. It also allows them to take steps to quickly remediate any issues that arise before they can become worse.

Reviews from Real Users

VMware SD-WAN is a solution that stands out when compared to many of its competitors. Two major advantages it offers are its ability to automate the process of creating and maintaining a virtual local area network and its intuitive user dashboard.

Sami I., principal cloud architect at Loihe, writes, “One of the solution's most valuable features is the VMware core automation stack at an SDDC. It includes NSX, the VMware virtualization layer for the networks (the LAN virtualization), which works extremely well with the VMware SD-WAN solution and is the primary advantage over all the others. None of the other vendors could integrate with the virtual LAN, making it quite complicated and virtualized to be fully automated.”

Chih S., senior technical consultant at a tech services company,  says, “The product has a very good user dashboard that is simple to navigate.”

VMware SD-WAN was previously known as VeloCloud.

VMware SD-WAN Customers

Redmond, Coca Cola, Roka Bioscience, MetTel, Deutsche Telekom, Rockford Construction,  The Bay Club, tru Independence, Triton Management Services, DevCon, AXPM

VMware SD-WAN Video

Archived VMware SD-WAN Reviews (more than two years old)

Paul Woods - PeerSpot reviewer
Founder at SDWAN Clan
Zero-Touch provisioning, stable, and easy to set up
  • "Anyone can migrate over to VeloCloud, it's that simple, just plug in the necessary cables and it's done."
  • "It needs better security."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases of this solution are global WAN refreshment, Campus-to-Campus connectivity, and because my client is a global customer, they want zero-touch provisioning.

What is most valuable?

It's true, zero-touch provisioning. Anyone can migrate over to VeloCloud, it's that simple, just plug in the necessary cables and it's done.

What needs improvement?

Security needs improvement.

Also, it needs better scalability. There are certain products that if you need to create extra, the company expands and they will bring on extra branch-to-branch connectivity. There is a point where you will have to move to new hardware. We would need a larger scope for scalability.

I don't want to deploy a number of VeloClouds, and then in one year after business acquisitions, they need scalability. The only way to do that would be to remove the hardware and replace it with the new hardware.

I have been using VeloCloud, on and off for 18 months.

We are using the latest version, but not in a deep dive method.

VMware SD-WAN
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about VMware SD-WAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's stable, definitely.

It's a scalable solution. We have approximately 700 sites at the moment, and it's growing more as we adopt Microsoft Azure for this particular customer. So, we will need to spin up virtual instances of VeloCloud in Azure Regions.

The whole company is going through a restructuring where they're going to segregate portions of the business. They'll have their own VeloCloud SD-WAN overlay instance, integrating into the Cloud.

We have not contacted technical support. We have someone in our company that addresses anything obscure. He has a fair bit of experience that began prior to our engagement.

The initial setup is simple. SD-WAN is the simplest, and anyone can do it.

To deploy VeloCloud itself takes approximately one hour.

In IT, things don't always go to plan, but for the most part, it's an hour.

I used a consultant to help with deployment.

For the maintenance of each region, there will be a network SME to make sure that everything goes smoothly.

What other advice do I have?

I will continue to use this solution, we have another customer that wants to use SD-WAN, but they are better suited for Cisco Meraki, so we are just doing a proof of concept with them.

I would definitely recommend this solution to others. 100%. That said, it needs better security. There is always room to improve.

Technical Lead at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Simplifies automation and virtual services insertion
  • "VeloCloud developed DMPO to increase performance and connectivity."
  • "VeloCloud could improve its integration capabilities with other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for connecting multiple sites through the internet.

Typically, our clients are medium-sized businesses.

What is most valuable?

VeloCloud developed DMPO to increase performance and connectivity.

VeloCloud provides very good performance, support, portal configuration, and service integration — I think that it's perfect.

What needs improvement?

VeloCloud could improve its integration capabilities with other solutions. VeloCloud just provides connectivity, but what about advanced security services or administration service providers, and HPP for voice solutions? I think that VeloCloud could improve this kind of service integration. I know it's not their main use case, but it's part of their portfolio.

In the next release, I would like to see better support for IPv6.

I also think that a CPE that supports WiFi 6 is necessary.

I am a reseller — I have been using this solution for three years.

The stability is good, but it could be better.

Scalability-wise, I think it's pretty good. It can support various numbers of CPEs and VMs for different uses in order to grow the capacity of the platform.

Our customers don't have any complaints surrounding technical support. They don't often need help as there is plenty of reliable documentation online surrounding VeloCloud. We have yet to come across a use case that VeloCloud doesn't have documentation for.

The initial setup is very simple. You can auto-connect the CPEs. Once you activate the CPEs, the CPEs can then connect to other CPEs that are in the network.

What other advice do I have?

For reliable connectivity, I would definitely recommend VeloCloud; however, if my customers want another kind of service in addition to connectivity, then I would recommend another kind of solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

VMware SD-WAN
November 2022
655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Hirendrasinh R  Chauhan - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Technical Consultant at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Exceptional performance on the cloud, but weak as an in-house solution
  • "The cloud gateway is a very good feature for scaling purposes, etc."
  • "They should provide us with the flexibility to scale up."

What is most valuable?

There is a cloud gateway feature that centrally locates every space, which you don't get with Cisco. The cloud gateway is a very good feature for scaling purposes, etc. It's a very simple feature. In fact, everything about VeloCloud is quite simple, including the concept of the circuits, and, from a  technical perspective, it's not as challenging as Cisco VPNs. They have VPN 0, VPN 1, VPN 2, VPN 3, but they're very simple in that approach — the concept of circuits. Overall, I think both products are good.

Cisco has begun to push its SD-WAN code within all of its ISR routers. This has made deployment quite challenging. With VeloCloud, deployment is much easier because they include all of their own hardware.

What needs improvement?

Cloud-based, it's okay because they roll up the device and provide you with a link for access. In regards to in-house, when you want to deploy the orchestrator, it becomes very difficult. Currently, I don't see any such good documentation compared to their competitors, like Cisco, etc.

Also, If you look at Cisco, just Google it and you'll get every detail: what to do, what specific system, what server, how much RAM, how much storage, all the details — it's just much easier.

If a customer has an optimization solution within their network, then you have to be very careful when designing — optimization and all. This can make your design very complex. If the customer has an existing optimization solution, then you have to be very careful when designing any part of the SD-WAN solution — Cisco or Velo.

They should provide us with the flexibility to scale up.

I have been using this solution for two and a half to three years.

VeloCloud is very stable — it's a very good solution.

I have not done a scale with something like 6,000 to 7,000 sites; however, if you look at the pure design, phase-wise, then you have to be very particular about new designs. Velo is purely based on design. I don't think the SD-WAN is that new and scaling that amount of sites requires a simple design rather than a complex solution.

With Cisco, we were working on a huge scale — I think it was around 1700 sites for that customer. After 900 sites, it started having problems. The controller was not sending the new site updates to the hub and it was not reflecting in the routing table; however, in the end, it scaled, but there were some challenges that we had to overcome.

There are not enough people within their support team. I would give them a rating of three out of five.

They have to improve, they have to be quicker and understand the types of problems customers face.

The initial setup is straightforward. The initial setup is very simple compared to Cisco. Cisco claims to be Zero Touch Provisioning, but I think they have a lot of complexity surrounding that Zero Touch. With VeloCloud, you can generate and send emails, and the receiver just has to connect to the device, open up the email and the configuration improves. In this way, I think Velo is good with Zero Touch Provisioning.

Deployment time really depends on what you deploy. If you want to roll out a small site on a single device, then the designing and the policies are all done — it's a really quick job. Your circuit and site will rollout quickly, everything will be up and running roughly within two to two and a half hours. If you're looking at a complex site, then of course, the complexity increases.

What other advice do I have?

VeloCloud is a good solution. They are only lacking in regards to the in-house version.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give VeloCloud a rating of seven.

Donny Gunawan - PeerSpot reviewer
General Manager at Smartfren
User-friendly and is easier to integrate than other solutions
  • "I would absolutely recommend VeloCloud because it's user-friendly and because the integration is easier than with other solutions."
  • "I would like for them to upgrade to 5G integration. Our customers have 4G now and the connectivity isn't good. It should be much faster."

What is our primary use case?

I use VeloCloud for software for reports SD-WAN solutions and WAN connectivity.

What needs improvement?

They should help our customers reduce the cost of the implementation from a local user cloud to the user using a standard cloud. They should improve the time and the cost of the implementation.

I have been using VeloCloud for ten years.

The stability depends on the network connectivity. If the Internet connection isn't stale, it will affect it.

We contact our partners to get local support.

The initial setup was very simple. It's user-friendly. It only takes a few hours, not days, to deploy for somebody who is experienced. We use it on a daily basis.

We used a system integrator for the deployment. From the second year onwards, the maintenance is done by our local partners.

There are up to 100 users.

It's not cheap but it's affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate VeloCloud a nine out of ten.

ISM Network Architect at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    Great QOE, good stability and pretty straightforward to set up
    • "They have a lot of built-ins. There are so many applications defined inside the solution. It makes it so that we don't have to create some policies. Each and every application is already defined in it."
    • "The solution doesn't offer failover between their own devices. If I want to, I should be able to put the two devices at the side, so there can be a failover."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a supply chain and we have a site where we want to offload the internet traffic and get to the application, etc. Some of the cloud applications go out directly and automatically through the SD-WAN device to the internet, so it is local and does not go to the MPLS. We can load balance those applications.

What is most valuable?

Their QOE, or Quality Of Experience, is the most valuable feature. Basically, VeloCloud measures the latency and the chatter and everything on a voice application, and it just routes the traffic or duplicates the packets according to that chatter.

They have a lot of built-ins. There are so many applications defined inside the solution. It makes it so that we don't have to create some policies. Each and every application is already defined in it.

What needs improvement?

The solution doesn't offer failover between their own devices. If I want to, I should be able to put the two devices together, so there can be a failover.

They need to come out with a new device, such as a 510 LTE which would have LTE capabilities.

On the 610 devices, they're saying they're going to have LTE in it. They don't have it. They don't even have a POE feature inside the VeloCloud devices. Therefore, if I want to set up a POE, just the one device with everything in it, I actually don't have a POE support on it.

I've been using the solution for about six months now.

Stability-wise the solution is quite good. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's not buggy at all.

The scalability is giving us problems at the moment. We want to put this as, for example, a primary MPLS, with internet secondary, and cellular tertiary. The LTE device doesn't even failover between them, however. Therefore, there is no scalability there.

We don't deal with technical support, due to the fact that we have AT&T. Since we deal with AT&T, we don't deal with them directly. Therefore, I can't speak to their level of knowledge or responsiveness.

Our company is actually many companies. At another subsidiary, they are doing a POC with Cisco. Cisco is providing them with better pricing. On top of that, they have good availability and failover capabilities on LTE. The Cisco router can do the secondary subnet on the same VLAN, which VeloCloud cannot do.

They have a lot of features we technically need to have but don't on VeloCloud.

The initial setup isn't too complex. It's pretty straightforward.

In terms of the deployment, we designed everything properly, and due to the fact that we took the time to design it correctly, it didn't take a long time. Strategy-wise, we have AT&T as our provider. That said, we have set up a reference architecture in such a way that it just copies every site, according to our site size and the requirements.

If you compare VeloCloud to, for example, Cisco, the pricing is almost the same. However, Cisco offers more features that are integral to the way we need the solution to operate. In that sense, it's better value for money. For example, now we need to have an extra LTE modem outside of VeloCloud, and it's going to add to the cost, which ultimately makes it more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

We are not using the newest version of the solution. They already have a newer version, however, we have everything outsourced to AT&T, and they have not upgraded the new version on it yet. The version we have on the VeloCloud is 3.4.3, and the newest version, which, from my understanding, is four, and is already out there.

The greatest advice I have for potential new users is this: when you do deploy the VeloCloud, it's pretty straightforward. However, the only thing you have to remember is to make sure that you have the site requirements in terms of the primary and secondary circuits. For us, the last mile circuit is always a requirement, so we have a tertiary as a cellular. That way, even if the primary and secondary go down, you are okay. Also, you need to make sure to size your VeloCloud equipment or VeloCloud model according to the size of your needs.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution at a nine.

Joel Bacaycay - PeerSpot reviewer
    CIO at freelanceitengineer
    Scalable, has DMPO to ensure data integrity, good technical support, and zero-touch set up
    • "The biggest feature is called D.M.P.O., or Dynamic Multipath Optimization, which is one of the technologies that they use to deliver or ensure data integrity."
    • "They need more gateways"

What is our primary use case?

The biggest benefit to SD-WAN is with VoIP. Any real-time data transfer where you cannot have any latency and packet delivery.

What VeloCloud provides is a solution that maintains data integrity.

The biggest challenge for voice over IP telephone systems, are real-time and also video, and any kind of video conferencing.

That type of thing, if there are any latencies, you're going to get trashy voice calls and also a lot of intermittent ghosting on conference calls. That's where VeloCloud comes in. They provide a resilient connectivity points system.

Your connectivity is pretty much preserved.

How has it helped my organization?

A lot of companies are moving over to VoIP because they're cheaper. It's a cheaper telephony system than regular phone PBX systems. So, any major company is moving towards a hosted or internal VoIP solution. Again, the biggest challenge is point-to-point latency.

What is most valuable?

The biggest feature is called D.M.P.O., or Dynamic Multipath Optimization, which is one of the technologies that they use to deliver or ensure data integrity.

One of the things they've done is they've made it user-friendly. If you're a multi-national company and you've got company in France, England, United States, and also in the Southern hemisphere like Australia, and you've got a manufacturing plant, you can see how your plants are performing. You can see the kind of connectivity, as well as the resiliency between each manufacturing plant.

You know whether your internet provider is performing to their service level agreements.

What needs improvement?

The challenge right now is the customers understanding that it's a subscription-based service. The price is a sticker shock to clients because most clients are used to buying a product and not a subscription service.

What VeloCloud requires is a combination of a subscription service, which is the cloud orchestration, and the devices, which can be purchased independently. Clients think that they can just buy the product for their endpoint usage and that's it. But, they don't realize they've got to pay for a monthly subscription because the technology that ties the two edge devices together is up in the cloud and you need to have that. That intelligence, you have to pay for monthly.

It helps to understand this when people are using Microsoft 365, a subscription-based service. People except the fact that, oh if I need Word or Excel, I can buy it from Microsoft for a monthly subscription rate.

Services similar to that are now more and more being accepted. Whereas back a year ago, people were saying, "No, I just want to buy a hardware device." That's where the Cisco Meraki comes in. They don't really have much of a cloud orchestration solution. They have devices that provide SD-WAN solutions. You're dependent on each device to do their functionality, whereas VeloCloud puts it into the cloud.

It's not like you buy a router, install it, and you're good to go. It's the service, and what they call orchestration of maintaining data integrity, delivering point-to-point.

If you're in China and you're trying to ascend data across the United States or whatever country you're in, you can imagine the path that it's going through from any world destination from the US. There's going to be thousands and thousands of hops, and by the time you get to your endpoint, any of those hops can introduce some sort of problem. High latency.

With the SD-WAN solution, it determines the optimal path because they have gateways that help reduce the number of hops. If you didn't use VeloCloud and you wanted to set up a telephone call using VoIP from the United States, here in California, to China or wherever, your chances of having good, solid connectivity is going to be slim because you've got no protection. Whereas the SD-WAN VeloCloud solution provides number one, reducing the linkage between the two points and then it also provides some resiliency and ability to recover from data packet losses.

Depending on the clients and how critical the data is for them, it will determine how expensive the solution is. If you are a real estate office and you have ten offices, it may be too pricey for that type of industry, but if you're a manufacturer or a software developer, or a company that makes games, and you provide the gaming service, then the cost of the solution is not going to be a major concern.

If you are in the medical industry and you need to keep your hospitals connected and especially with COVID 19 and sharing of data, then the cost is not the biggest issue. It's really delivering resilient service.

They need to increase their gateways. When I staring with this solution, they only had 600 to 700. I say only, but that's a lot still, but they're now over 1000 gateways. It's like Elon Musk's new satellite service. Their Starlink. It's the same with Gateway.

For Elon Musk to have to launch 2,400 satellites, and in order to provide satellite internet services and to provide just enough, when they're touting one to two-gigabit transfer rates, in order to do that, where it's ubiquitous, it doesn't matter whether you're out to sea or whether you're in the office, or you're by the shoreline in California, you have access to the internet.

It performance is mediocre but as more and more satellites are added, the performance and the capabilities are that much more.

They need more gateways. It comes down to access; if for example, you have a gateway in LA, it probably covers San Diego and parts of Sacramento, but if you have two gateways it will cover more traffic that is in that area. The more gateways you have the more connectivity access for clients to use to get to the cloud.

Because of the buyout, it has to integrate with VMware's distribution channels, with their support channels. They have to basically GRAT the development of their solution, and fit right inside with VMware's. It's like Dell buying a small company, and then that small company needs to conform to Dell practices. Right now there, they're in flux.

Right now I have to manually manage the SD-WAN dashboard for the connectivity to the internet and routing from point-to-point.

The routing from point-to-point and all of that stuff are separate from the internal local area network. So, right now, software-defined WAN and software-defined LAN are two separate controlling systems. If they can integrate that, such that they are on one dashboard, I can see what's going on with my China manufacturing plant from the US and I can see from the China plant what devices are failing from the US then that would make it even better. So far, it's certainly a step in the right direction, but there's of course, like in time there's going to be continued improvements.

It provides a solution that all companies need and that's connectivity, resiliency.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

I've been involved with VeloCloud for over a year.

They recently were purchased by VMware.

If I were to stand up a cloud service like Microsoft Office 365, I'm going to install it into a data center that can provide service anywhere in the world. I would have a server that's providing this service.

You can't put all your eggs in one installation location, you're going to have the same technology repeated in multiple data centers around the world. To provide that one service, you're going to have that service, and Office 365 virtualized so that you can run it up in Seattle and Redmond. Then you can add, you can run the same service in China, in Australia, and in the Southern hemisphere. All running the same software service so that if one drops out the other one picks up.

The resiliency is there for cloud-based services. That's why everything has gone cloud. Everybody's doing virtualization.

You can scale it such that, okay. You know, China's growing, they need their own data center that covers that whole market, maybe you need two or three and then you're done. Because virtualization is basically copying your server. You just take an image of your server's operating system and you just reinstall it on another server and you've got the same services on a different server.

Our client size varies from small to large enterprise companies.

It varies, but it can scale. The thing can provide scalability and I can solve a multinational company without actually having to fly to every location. I can just say, Hey, VMware VeloCloud, if you want resiliency, you want to connect your companies. We have Chinese manufacturing, food manufacturing companies in LA, Texas. They've got 13 locations and they're complaining about their phone services. The phone just keeps dropping out on them. I always said, well, you need a VeloCloud SD-WAN. So, it's now rolling it all out.

I deal primarily with the IT staff and obviously, it's helping them with the technology to sell the upper management with it.

Technical support is really good, they are there to help out.

I would rate technical support an eight out of ten.

SD-WAN has been out for the last nine or ten years, but it really hasn't grabbed on until the last five years. As an IT engineer, I had to come up with my own solutions, such that if I'm standing up a data center and I've got 10 to 15 switches, and each of those switches needs to be managed and controlled, each one of those switches has its own management console, so I'm managing 10 different management consoles. Whereas with SD-WAN and SD-LAN, you have a central controller that manages multiple devices, you have software to find networking, a controller that controls multiple switches, multiple routers, that type of thing. So that's where SD software-defined networking has advanced the way you manage networking. You're not overloaded with having to deal with each individual device or appliance. You buy devices that conform to SD-WAN technology or SD-LAN technology, and SD-LAN by Ubiquity is the one I use there.

All of my switches, my routers, my access points, my cameras, security cameras, all of that is being handled by one software that manages them all. I can see at a glance, all of my devices, make modifications, see what's failing, see what needs to be replaced in the one in one software monitoring system.

They have what they call a zero-touch setup.

I can pre-configure the edge devices that get installed at the client site, and rather than me going in and installing it, I can pre-program it and set it up to where I can shift the unit to their IT person, and they can plug it into their network and they're up and running and have connectivity.

What other advice do I have?

It's an SD-WAN solution and they've got edge devices of different sources and types. Depending on the client's needs, you pretty much choose the type of product that's required. The end result is cloud-based. It's a cloud-based software-defined wide area networking affiliation.

VeloCloud is in the cloud. They have over a thousand gateways to get to their services in the cloud.

They're tied into Microsoft Azure, Office 365, and also AWS services. If you're going to do a cloud design, what you likely want to do is have an SD-WAN solution like VeloCloud, such that if you're dealing with multiple people or multiple businesses with multiple locations, what you'll do is utilize their cloud-based solutions and edge devices to connect to clients' network nodes. There are different offices and provide resilient connectivity.

They have to understand the solution. A lot of IT technologists don't have a full grasp of the software-defined networking SD-WAN, SD-LAN.

Until technologists understand that, businesses won't understand because the businesses rely on their IT staff to stay in touch with the latest and greatest technologies that can save the operational costs.

We haven't reached the crest of the wave yet for all of us, even VeloCloud. They're just not quite at the crest yet, but soon everybody will understand. Oh, I know what SD-WAN is, I know it's going to save me money. I know it's going to allow me to reduce my IT staff because they're not having to be encumbered by the way the legacy management solutions were back then. That's all dashboard monitorization.

I would rate VeloCloud a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
    Principal Sales Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Offers dynamic multipath optimization and it is easy to set up with zero-touch provisioning
    • "The most valuable feature is the dynamic multipath optimization."
    • "There is no security included, which is something that should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use VeloCloud as our SD-WAN solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the dynamic multipath optimization. This is something that other competing products do not have.

Zero-touch provisioning makes it very easy to set up.

The single path optimization features are useful.

What needs improvement?

There is no security included, which is something that should be improved. For example, they should at least include basic firewall capabilities.

I have been using VeloCloud for six months.

The stability of VeloCloud is good.

Scalability-wise, this is a good solution. We have a large company but our group makes up just a small part of the network, with perhaps 50 users. This includes regular business owners and home users.

Prior to VeloCloud, we used Fortinet. However, the SD-WAN is not as good, which is why we switched over.

The initial setup is really easy.

Once you connect the appliance to the internet, you manage the policies and that enables SD-WAN.

The pricing is very comparable to Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I like. For anybody looking for an SD-WAN, this is a really good option, and probably one of the best. My only real complaint is about the lack of security. If security is their primary goal, then I would suggest implementing Fortinet instead. On the other hand, if SD-WAN is the primary concern then choose VeloCloud.

Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    A comprehensive dashboard that is easy to use, but the security should be enhanced
    • "They make use of a combination of different internet lines, which improves quality."
    • "There is room for improvement with respect to security."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant with a solution provider and this is one of the products that we advise our clients on. We do not implement solutions as part of our offering.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is very comprehensive, where you can see all of the sites with a map. You can click through using the map, which is easy to do.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement with respect to security.

The price of this solution should be lower.

I have been working with VeloCloud for about two years.

I think that it is a stable product.

It is a scalable system, similar to other SD-WAN solutions.

Our customers are typically multinational, on the bigger side.

As consultants, we have worked with several vendors simultaneously. We are independent and we do not propose a particular technology. Rather, we conduct and exercise with our clients and determine the best vendor based on that.

I have not completed the setup myself, but my understanding is that it is okay.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product but there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Network Infrastructure Security Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good load balancing features and it scales well

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use VeloCloud for SD-WAN.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is load balancing.

What needs improvement?

The cost of VeloCloud could be lowered.

I have been working with VeloCloud for about two years.

We have had no issues in terms of stability.

We are satisfied with the scalability. We have approximately 100 branches and we plan to increase usage in the future.

There are few vendors who offer support in our country. However, if we need support then we can get it directly from VMware.

I have also worked with Citrix SD-WAN and they are both good products.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

At this time, I feel that just about everything is there in the product and it supports the requirements. My only complaint is about the pricing. Citrix is another good product but I recommend VeloCloud.

IT Information Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Proactively detects potential issues; excellent for enterprise size companies

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is in companies that have multiple office locations, say a minimum of 10. They are connected to the internet using line or broadband internet connectivity. There can be a lot of fluctuations and connectivity issues so bandwidth is our current focus. VeloCloud is a software layer which helps customers manage the connectivity in the console. In the event that there is any downtime coming up into the secondary line of the bandwidth, the language will be correct. The solution proactively detects where the problem could happen or could arise. Users who are using the applications would not even know whether there was a downtime.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved if the reports were modified making them easier to use and easier to understand from the customer's point of view. Also, from a cost perspectives, although ValorCloud is the number one product in its field in Gartner's Magic Quadrant, it's very expensive for the Indian market.

I've been working with this solution for about 18 months.

No problem with technical support.

Deployment is okay and not a major issue. It requires engineering capacity and depends on the customer environment.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Rein Pusra - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solutions Architect at Jedi Global Teknologi
    Easy to use and the Dynamic Multipath Optimization is useful
    • "The most valuable feature is the Dynamic Multipath Optimization (DMPO), which allows the customer to maintain and monitor their link quality in real-time."
    • "VeloCloud needs improvement in terms of its security features."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers. Our customers use VeloCloud to create their own SD-WAN.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Dynamic Multipath Optimization (DMPO), which allows the customer to maintain and monitor their link quality in real-time. It will tell them whether the performance is good, bad, or degrading.

This solution is quite easy to use.

They have their own gateway offering where they have sensors in front of the applications like Office 365 and G Cloud. It is a unique advantage compared to other SD-WAN vendors.

What needs improvement?

VeloCloud needs improvement in terms of its security features. It needs to work with third-party vendors such as Fortinet, Check Point, or Palo Alto because at an increasing rate, and because of new rules for compliance, organizations require security features that are not offered by VeloCloud.

We have been using VeloCloud for one and a half years.

With respect to stability, we have had some issues in the past that are related to the performance of the equipment. I would rate the stability an eight out of ten because there are some features that are currently unstable, like the link select and the path selection between the gateway and the devices. The result is a loss in performance.

We have been in contact with technical support and I would rate them a seven or eight out of ten. Their response time is typically fast but in terms of resolution, sometimes it takes a long time for us to get the patch for the system.

We also work with Forcepoint SD-WAN and we have tried other solutions as well. Some of these include Riverbed and Fortinet.

One of the big differences between VeloCloud and the other vendors is the speed and ease of deployment. VeloCloud is fast and quite easy to deploy. The second difference is that they have their own VeloCloud gateway.

The initial setup is straightforward. In my experience, VeloCloud is one of the easiest SD-WAN vendors when it comes to initial setup and deployment.

The price of this solution is higher than that of other SD-WAN vendors.

What other advice do I have?

We have been using multiple versions of this solution. We have been using the software as well as different Edge devices including the Edge 510 series and the Edge 520 series. The 510 series is the most common one.

Most of the deployments are cloud-based. Our customers prefer the cloud from a business point of view because it is less expensive. To deploy on-premise, the cost of using VeloCloud is quite high and it becomes an obstacle for some customers.

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to first think about their SD-WAN needs. VeloCloud is a very good product as long as you don't have any concerns about security. If the main concern is about the link performance and bridge connectivity then it is a very good product.

Overall, it is a good product that is friendly, integrates well, and has good performance. It is only lacking in the security perspective.

Private Cloud
    MohamedHassan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Regional Technical Manager at Nestingtech
    Reseller
    Good performance and allows our customers to better manage their environment
    • "The most valuable feature for one of our customers is the ability to stage cloud workloads from the local network."
    • "Technical support is in need of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller and this is one of the solutions that we provide to our customers.

The use case is dependent on the customer and their requirements, but the primary use is as an SD-WAN. It helps our customers streamline their configuration, it improves link recovery, and helps them better manage their environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for one of our customers is the ability to stage cloud workloads from the local network.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs a local gateway for the cloud in every country. The gateway is used to set up cloud access and one of my clients had a bad experience with the local partner that was trying to set one up.

Technical support is in need of improvement.

We have been using VeloCloud for two years.

With respect to stability, every vendor deploys this solution in their own way. There is always a concern about performance and stability.

It is difficult to judge scalability with a small number of deployments. I would need to try it with 100 branches to test scalability.

Technical support for VeloCloud needs to be improved. Customers compensate for the lack of support by using the portal. I would rate the support a seven out of ten.

The initial setup is very easy, which is a plus for this solution.

The majority of time is spent in the planning stage. Once you are ready to deploy, it should not take more than 30 minutes.

VeloCloud performs as well as the Cisco SD-WAN but it is cheaper in price.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend using this solution. It is a good product and if the support were improved then it would be even better.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free VMware SD-WAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022