IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

VisualCron OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VisualCron is #5 ranked solution in top Managed File Transfer (MFT) tools, #6 ranked solution in top Workload Automation tools, and #7 ranked solution in best RPA tools. PeerSpot users give VisualCron an average rating of 10 out of 10. VisualCron is most commonly compared to Microsoft Power Automate: VisualCron vs Microsoft Power Automate. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is VisualCron?

VisualCron combines many features into one product. Through scheduling you can set your Jobs to run on a specific time or event. The Tasks in each Job automate scripts and eliminate human errors. Through various Tasks you can integrate different systems through file transfer and conversion.

Download the Workload Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

VisualCron Customers

7 Eleven, ABB Sécheron SA, Adobe Systems Incorporated, Amazon Europe Core, Apple, Assa Abloy, Aston Martin, Banco Santander, BMW (Australia)

VisualCron Video

VisualCron Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VisualCron pricing:
  • "The pricing is extremely fair, and because of that I recommend purchasing multiple instances to split out the processing load across multiple application servers."
  • "ROI is one month."
  • VisualCron Reviews

reviewer1365099 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director of IT at a recruiting/HR firm with 51-200 employees
    Has made us more efficient, eliminating manual processes that free up our employees to take on more of their prioritized projects on a daily basis
    • "The ability to clone jobs to shorten the time it takes to implement a process has been invaluable, but its flexibility also gives us the ability to create a job that can handle a multifaceted process with a complex workflow."
    • "VisualCron seems to operate like an efficient machine when it comes to improvements and enhancements and new features. I always appreciate the quick response I get when bringing up an issue or coming up with suggestions. I've mentioned before that it would be great to see a move away from SQLCE and XML configuration files."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for practically everything when it comes to data management and much more. We've been able to automate a great number of processes that make us more efficient, eliminating manual processes that free up our employees to take on more of their prioritized projects on a daily basis. It also greatly helps with communication, whether it be for error reporting or status reporting. It's hard to come up with a primary use case when we've been able to improve so many different processes.

How has it helped my organization?

VisualCron has helped us with regular processing and simple tasks, but a key advantage to using it is the ability to automate practically any process. There are so many different task types, it would be difficult to find a problem that a VisualCron job couldn't solve.  We were on a proprietary platform that handled all of our data management needs, but the implementation of VisualCron has rendered that platform almost obsolete. The only thing we use it for now is configuration. The ability to clone jobs to shorten the time it takes to implement a process has been invaluable, but its flexibility also gives us the ability to create a job that can handle a multifaceted process with a complex workflow.

What is most valuable?

The Database, Process and File tasks are probably the most used task types for our operation. A lot of these powerful tasks are used in a single job, taking on a workflow that formerly required multiple systems, third party components, and/or software programs to assemble a complete process. VisualCronv is currently handling so many different critical processes for our company, it's become a key factor in our livelihood and success. This tool has also sparked a lot of innovation from our analysts and developers.

What needs improvement?

VisualCron seems to operate like an efficient machine when it comes to improvements and enhancements and new features. I always appreciate the quick response I get when bringing up an issue or coming up with suggestions. I've mentioned before that it would be great to see a move away from SQLCE and XML configuration files. VisualCron support was lightning quick starting a response to this suggestion by allowing configuration of the location of log data, so I'm sure a move to persist everything to any version of SQL Server is close.
    Workload Automation
    May 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about NetCart AB, BMC, Redwood Software and others in Workload Automation. Updated: May 2022.
    598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using VisualCron for 4+ years.

We've yet to experience a situation where this platform has become unstable, and the logging/communication features provide a high level of comfort for any IT professional.

The ability to host separate instances on different servers leads me to believe that there shouldn't be a user out there with a bad impression. There are certain task types that can be used to perform operations that could put a significant load on a server, but these tasks are only as stable as the responsible developer using them. That said, there are plenty of debugging and logging configurations and features to help make any task stable.

VisualCron technical support has been second to none. The turnaround on bug fixes, enhancements, and new features in the release cycle is very impressive. I deal with many third parties and I've never seen anything like it.

We were stuck using SSIS and a proprietary portal/service, which involved a lot of from-the-ground-up development, working with several third-party components that had to be maintained and supported. After experiencing the power of this product, it was very easy to make the switch.

The initial setup is very straightforward, as easy as installation and basic configuration.

The setup of VisualCron is so straightforward, only one IT professional was required to get it up and running. Once live, I recommend enforcing best practices and the use of variables to prevent hard-coding key values that could change during the lifetime of the software.

Our ROI is incalculable. This tool has prevented the need for an uncountable number of development projects and has eliminated countless manual tasks that have sprung up in the daily activities brought on by the whirlwind nature of the business we're in.

The pricing is extremely fair, and because of that, I recommend purchasing multiple instances to split out the processing load across multiple application servers.

We found VisualCron on the web very early in the process, which stopped our research dead in its tracks.

What other advice do I have?

It's been a lifesaver.

reviewer1360629 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr. IT ERP Specialist at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Sends error alerts on job failure to appropriate IT and/or business contacts
    • "'ve only had a few cases where I've had to request support in the past 12 years of use, but the support response time and resolution were was extremely quick."
    • "I would like for VisualCron to expand audit log to show who changed job variables that are initialized per job run."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for automating encryption and transfer of files between our internal systems and systems of our business partners.

How has it helped my organization?

We were using custom-coded solutions for encryption and sFTPing files, which required developer time and maintenance. VisualCron enabled us to create these types of jobs very easily without developer time. By renewing our maintenance agreement, we stay on top of security requirement changes.

What is most valuable?

• Post-sales support: I've only had a few cases where I've had to request support in the past 12 years of use, but the support response time and resolution were was extremely quick.

• Ability to use job variables within a job. This allows us to make reusable job templates for similar activities and just update the job variables associated with the new instance.

• Branching logic and conditional execution of tasks within a job.
    • Logging and ability to send error alerts on job failure to appropriate IT and/or business contacts.

What needs improvement?

Add additional security to control visibility and/or modification of jobs to different roles or persons. This would allow the shared use of a common server while avoiding accidental changes to jobs by persons who shouldn't be able to maintain them.

I have been using VisualCron for 12 years (since 2008).

It's been very solid.

I've seen no performance issues as we increased usage.

I've very rarely had to reach out to support, but the response time and resolution was very quick in the few incidents I needed to reach out.

They also have an active user community forum which is helpful for learning.

We used "homegrown" code along with other vendor libraries. VisualCron is easier to maintain and can be done by non-developers, allowing us use our developer resources more efficiently.

Easy setup.

We had an in-house setup.

VisualCron is easy to set up and use with good documentation.

I suggest having two licenses, one for production and another for development/testing.
    (jobs / settings can be exported from one system to the other allowing easy migration after test validation). Having two environments will allow you to test server upgrades and/or VisualCron upgrades without impacting your production environment).

We did not; this was a good fit and reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

VisualCron has enabled us to efficiently automate and maintain many tasks with minimal effort from our internal IT resources.  I strongly recommend it.

Workload Automation
    May 2022
    598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    reviewer1356075 - PeerSpot reviewer
    ICT at Bouw Logistic Services
    Automates different steps in your business processes
    • "VisualCron is a very powerful program to automate different steps in your business processes. We use it to automate replacing files and inform departments about the replacement."
    • "There are some conditions in the mail trigger, but you can only use them as an "AND" condition, not as an "OR" condition. This is an improvement that could be useful. For example, some people put "invoice" in the subject and others put "invoice" in the body. If I want to make a trigger for everybody whose sending invoices, I have to make two jobs for this now."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for replacing files from our FTP server to our network work folders or as an email selector for invoices. We receive invoices into a certain mailbox depending on the sender address where we make mail triggers. In the trigger, we can manage what to do with the attachments:

1. We put the invoice into a process folder.
    2. We put the attachments into a subfolder where we merge the invoice with attachments.
    3. Once you make the job/trigger in every mail, it is processed automatically.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Mail trigger: When a mail is delivered into a specific inbox, you can fire off your task depending on this.

Event trigger: When a file is placed in a certain folder, you fire off your task depending on this.

There are a lot of tasks that you can use for all kinds of stuff.

It's very useful to use variables which help you to specify some jobs.

The forum is very useful.

What needs improvement?

There are some conditions in the mail trigger, but you can only use them as an "AND" condition, not as an "OR" condition. This is an improvement that could be useful. For example, some people put "invoice" in the subject and others put "invoice" in the body. If I want to make a trigger for everybody whose sending invoices, I have to make two jobs for this now.

Seven years.

Good.

Very good.

Michael and Henrik from support are very kind, helpful, and almost always available for questions when there is something wrong with a job (you have made), but is not working anymore. The have helped me often with different things.

The forum is very useful for solutions on things you want to change or problems you are struggling with.

Straightforward with the help of support.

In-house.

One month.

Private Cloud

Other
    Download our free Workload Automation Report and find out what your peers are saying about NetCart AB, BMC, Redwood Software, and more!
    Updated: May 2022