IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Symantec Data Loss Prevention OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Symantec Data Loss Prevention is #2 ranked solution in top Data Loss Prevention (DLP) tools. PeerSpot users give Symantec Data Loss Prevention an average rating of 8 out of 10. Symantec Data Loss Prevention is most commonly compared to Endpoint Protector: Symantec Data Loss Prevention vs Endpoint Protector. Symantec Data Loss Prevention is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
Symantec Data Loss Prevention Buyer's Guide

Download the Symantec Data Loss Prevention Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Symantec Data Loss Prevention?

Keeping sensitive corporate information safe and compliant has never been easy. But today, you’re faced with a totally new set of data protection challenges. Sensitive information is leaving the safety of your corporate network as more employees share files over consumer cloud storage services and access those files on their own mobile devices. The number of targeted cyber attacks continues to grow, as cybercriminals develop effective new methods for defeating traditional security measures and stealing corporate information. And as all of these factors converge, it becomes increasingly difficult to manage corporate information and protect it against loss and theft.

Symantec Data Loss Prevention (DLP) provides a comprehensive approach to information protection that embraces today’s cloud- and mobile-centered realities. With DLP, you can:

• Discover where data is stored across all of your cloud, mobile, network, endpoint, and storage systems

• Monitor how data is being used, whether your employees are on or off the network

• Protect data from being leaked or stolen—no matter where it’s stored or how it’s used

Symantec Data Loss Prevention was previously known as Symantec DLP.

Symantec Data Loss Prevention Customers

Hadassah University Hospital, Her Majestys Government (HMG), United Kingdom, Hitachi Consulting Software Services India Pvt Ltd., Hua Nan Bank, Hyundai Department Store Group,
JW Marriott Hotel Seoul, Lake Health, McCann Erickson Israel, Molina Healthcare Inc., PGi, Quilvest Switzerland Limited, State of Nevada Public Employees Benefits Program, Symantec Corporation (Enterprise Security), The Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust, The Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust (DLP), The Saudi Industrial Property Authority, TSO cloud, Visa, Yunnan Power Grid Company

Symantec Data Loss Prevention Video

Symantec Data Loss Prevention Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Symantec Data Loss Prevention pricing:
  • "Pricing is reasonable."
  • "The pricing is reasonable."
  • "Support is a little costly, but you get what you pay for."
  • Symantec Data Loss Prevention Reviews

Meleria Mangaring - PeerSpot reviewer
    Systems Engineer at Trends and Technologies, Inc
    Reseller
    Great Data Loss Prevention technology with impressive granularity and good stability
    • "With respect to the amount of intelligence that they have with respect to how they formed the DLP solution, for example, exact data matching. If you compare Forcepoint with Symantec, Symantec is more sophisticated than Forcepoint."
    • "The one downside for Symantec is that, due to its transition from Symantec to Broadcom, there's been a lot of changes. I am based in the Philippines and we don't have a contact person locally for any Symantec."

What is most valuable?

I've been working with Forcepoint, Symantec, and also McAfee. From my experience with the three of them, Symantec has one of the best LP solutions on offer. Forcepoint is on par with Symantec on some points, however, with respect to the granularity of how Symantec has laid it out for the customers, is much easier when compared to Forcepoint. The client also has more opportunities for customization. With respect to the amount of intelligence that they have with respect to how they formed the DLP solution, for example, exact data matching. If you compare Forcepoint with Symantec, Symantec is more sophisticated than Forcepoint.  I would prefer Symantec over Forcepoint.  With respect to how Symantec Data Loss Prevention works now, it's got an edge over all the rest of the Data Loss Prevention with the exact data matching and also the partial matching. We've done a test with that with other solutions, for example, with McAfee and Forcepoint. Symantec is really more sophisticated when it comes to partial matching as compared to other solutions. There's data around this as well. There's a document about a specific confidential file. We will configure everything so that 50% of the data from a document should be scanned. The rest will be detected as black or whatever the option should be or the response should be. With Symantec, they are capable of doing that. Only a part of the document is scanned and they are capable of detecting the amount of information that is supposedly secure and that should not be sent outside to any unauthorized users. Technically, Forcepoint can also do that, but there are certain limitations. Forcepoint can only do so much. With Symantec, it's very straightforward. You can just specify the version page and then upload the identifier, upload a sample, for example, a series of programming codes. You upload that, you give a sample, and then, just like that, you can already specify a specific response for that and it will be detected. That's also one of the samples that we were able to do with one of our clients.  Aside from exact data matching and aside from partial matching, there is better machine learning.  Symantec can offer a more sophisticated OCR. The optical character recognition, which we often showcase specifically for hospitals with x-rays, CT scans, and ultrasounds, is quite useful.

What needs improvement?

The one downside for Symantec is that, due to its transition from Symantec to Broadcom, there's been a lot of changes. I am based in the Philippines and we don't have a contact person locally for any Symantec. We no longer have any contact for any Symantec opportunities. It's getting hard for us to request a demo license, or trial license, for a proof of value or proof of POC. Basically, speaking with respect to the technology, technically speaking, Symantec is really good, however, on the commercial side, we're really having a problem with that.  We always have a problem with respect to the commercial side and how we are offering it to the client. It gets really costly with the database as it's strictly required that clients must have an Oracle database and it's quite expensive if you would compare that to Microsoft SQL. From the technical side, what they need to improve is the database. I'm talking about the on-premise, as, with the on-premise, the database that they require is strictly Oracle and not many end-users are using Oracle for their databases. Some are using MySQL. So it gets really costly when we're offering Symantec and then we have to renew. Oracle is expensive. What they need to improve is the management console. It's pretty straightforward, however, they need to upgrade it to make it more attractive. While it's easy to understand, from an end-user perspective, they need to upgrade it so that it will be more pleasing on the client's side. It would make them more inclined to look up, for example, for maintenance or visibility and monitoring.

I've been working with the solution for two or three years. I've only been working within the industry for two or three years, or something like that.

It's stable. Out of all the data loss preventions that I've experienced, Symantec, with respect to its technology, is quite good. Aside from the database, I don't have much of a complaint with Symantec, technically speaking.
    Symantec Data Loss Prevention
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Symantec Data Loss Prevention. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We work mostly with enterprises, however, we also work with some SMBs. In terms of scalability, it is scalable. Symantec Data Loss Prevention is not only for endpoints. It is also for networks, the cloud, and also for email. It pretty much covers your entire infrastructure.

With respect to the partner support, previously, when we started working with Symantec, support was pretty straightforward and really helpful. I've only been handled a support case a couple of times. It's not much, however, they've been really accommodating. That said, when the transition happened, from Symantec to Broadcom, when Broadcom acquired Symantec, that's when things got really hard for us. Not only from the technical side, not only from the support side but even from the commercial and pre-sales side. It's gotten really difficult requesting licenses, requesting trials, requesting support cases, et cetera.

I've been working with Forcepoint, Symantec, the last project that we worked on, we worked on the latest version of Symantec. I just can't remember what version was it. and also McAfee. That's the closest solutions that I've been working with most recently. I only started learning Forcepoint come 2020, and I have done a POC. However, I find Symantec to be better overall if you compared the two.

The setup is straightforward, as long as you know what you're doing. Back in the day, when I was just starting to learn data loss prevention, it got really confusing. For those who are just starting to learn how it works, it's important to note how the flow works - from identifying what data to protect, to the responses that should be applied to the policies that were configured. It's also important to note the architectural side. You need to pay attention to how the endpoint was set up, as well as the database and the detectors.  My last deployment for Symantec took a month, however, it came with the testing already. We did it phase by phase. What really took a long time for us to set it up, was encryption, which we deployed together with the data loss prevention. We had Symantec Data Loss Prevention and at the same time, Symantec Endpoint Encryption. We would deploy them together. That client also had the programming codes. We had to deal with a lot of programming codes and it took us a lot of time to review. We had a sit-down meeting with the customer in order for them to disclose the necessary information we would need for the pilot deployment. Then we had to do testing after that. That's why, in that case, it took a month.

They have a subscription based on one-year, three-year, and five-year terms. The pricing is adequate and good enough for the market.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a reseller. We used to have a partnership with Broadcom, or rather, with Symantec. We're still working on Broadcom. I believe we still have that partnership in place. In the last project that we worked on, we worked on the latest version of Symantec. I just can't remember what version it was. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Associate at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Great technical support, good features, and scales well
    • "We can integrate with some other tools such as Splunk, which is very useful."
    • "In the object capture recognition, which we implemented recently, there are a lot of false positives that have been happening."

What is our primary use case?

I am an L2 engineer. I'm doing the part of the implementation and the agent upgrades. If any requirements come in for Oracle upgrading we go forward and make it happen. Apart from that, we are doing agent installation and troubleshooting.

Moreover, we'll be in contact with the SCCM team, and give packages to them. They will push the package to all the machines for the SCCM. We can connect to the virtual team and do the other lines for server backups or upgrades.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good at fingerprinting the documents. This means, basically if a user tries to modify the data or change the file extensions, the system will recognize this action. It will offer the DLP images, so it will fingerprint the data. If a user is trying to modify data, they're trying to change the extension to whatever data, it will tune in on the IP, based on the indexing.

There are a lot of features. We can modify only particular agent configurations.

A new feature I've seen is a device block, which is very interesting. Previously, we used to create a policy for blocking certain data, which was transferred from our local machine to the mobile media. Now, we found that there'll be one more option called agent configuration device control. Under the device control, there'll be a block device connections option. It will alert us that a USP has been blocked.

The solution offers very good virtual machine learning. The ML will capture information based on certain policies. We haven't used it yet. We're still learning about it.

The solution offers good data classifications. What we used to do, is we used to create one template and we used to sit with different project team members. We'd collect the information from the project managers, on the management side. We'd put the information into one Excel sheet and collect the information from that. Now, we're using that to review one data classification tool. What it will do now is, whenever you're working in the document, is it will ask you to determine the data. It will ask that if it is internal or confidential.

We can integrate with some other tools such as Splunk, which is very useful.

What needs improvement?

The problem is most companies use a single data protector. The drawback is that they will install Oracle in one server and the application also in one server and detection also, all in one server. If the server crashes, everything crashes. Things should be implemented on another server.

Previously, when we had Dropbox, if we transferred a document, we would get a popup, and if we transferred 500 documents, we would get 500 popups. We're looking to find out if there is a way around this.

If we get a fatal error issue, if the agent isn't working out, we need a hard fix file. We need to check in pre-production machines.

When we're doing data scanning, the machines can be slow.

In the object capture recognition, which we implemented recently, there are a lot of false positives that have been happening. We are expecting them to fix this issue soon.

I've been using the solution for four and a half years at this point.

Occasionally, there are stability issues. If that's the case, I can help clients troubleshoot them.

The solution is very easy to scale. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with relative ease.

Whenever any issues are reported, for example, a fatal error or multiple errors, or if any machines come up with a blue screen, et cetera, well look for patch releases. We tend to do that monthly and push them to machines.  However, sometimes the issues might be very bad. For example, sometimes the KB will be not compatible with the Symantec DLP, or some of the versions. Maybe an agent will be corrupted, or a machine will get rebooted multiple times.

Initially, we'll check the logs. We'll do the checking and the troubleshooting and the removal of agents if necessary. We initially collect requirement logs and upload them to the Symantec portal. From those details, they will create a hard fix file for us and we will implement it.

We work well together. We're quite satisfied with the level of service they provide and the assistance they give when we have issues.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Usually, if we are doing it from the scratch, every time when we are doing the implementation, there will be one document that will be created for other servers.

If new users come on, they'll reference the document. It's part of our best practices.

We recommend that someone should be available via stacking, somewhere. For example, to set up the password with the protector, or as an admin password. We used to prefer at least one person. If we get stuck, we'll have a Symantec engineer on a call to assist us.

Usually, I'll do everything from the scratch, setting up the port under whatever LAN is required and what other system requires.

For an Oracle installation, it will take three hours or four hours. And for the server that's at least one hour. A total of five hours to six hours is required in order to complete our implementation.

The maintenance is contract-based. Some of the clients will ask that only I implement the Symantec DLP. Then we'll do the implementation and we'll create some documents as per requirements. Clients will ask the contract be for one year or two years, and we'll do the analysis and the reports, which we need to send on a daily basis and weekly basis and monthly basis and quarterly basis. On yearly ones, we'll do the auditing.

We used to delete the duplicate machines, or any machines supposed to be in stock or offline. Every month we will send the policy to our customers asking if there is anything they want to add, or any rule they want to delete, or anything specifically they want to create, et cetera. For example, if there are any personal kinds of users they want to monitor. We'll whatever they recommend. This is the type of maintenance I do.

The pricing is moderate. It's not the cheapest, or the most expensive.

There are various types of licenses. For example, if you are a customer for endpoint prevention, that is a different license. And if you want to cloud prevent, that is a different license. It's flexible. If you need to purchase a full suite, you can purchase it, or if you want only endpoint or cloud or network, you can buy it as a separate command.

What other advice do I have?

We are implementors.

As of now, in my current company, I was designed to DLP around seven months back. My previous company is a service-based company. Normally we will connect with other partners.

Usually, we are service providers, so we'll take the project from Symantec and we will implement the approach for our business partners. Then we'll go directly to the onset location and we'll stay there and we'll do the implementation and we'll create a policy, as per the requirements. We'll do the handout documents to the management team, and we'll relocate them to the local engineers. These kinds of activities I've done. For around four years, I've continuously been doing this DLP and encryption.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it at a ten out of ten.

Symantec Data Loss Prevention
    June 2022
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Yasin Bin Wasim - PeerSpot reviewer
    Information Security Engineer at a security firm with 11-50 employees
    Stable and users only need one policy, but not very user-friendly
    • "There's only one policy needed to implement for all channels."
    • "The solution is not user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I use it in my own environment for data loss prevention.

I installed it for testing purposes. I've logged some of my data through different policies. However, I've only done this at the endpoint channel, not on, for example, email channels.

What is most valuable?

There's only one policy needed to implement for all channels. That's a good point for Symantec. To have one policy for all channels has been great. You don't have a user workload. You can manage everything through a single policy.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not user-friendly. I've had to do a lot of research to try and figure things out on my own.

Due to its database, I first had to install an Oracle database. This should change. The product should allow for the use of an SQL database, and, if possible, it should have an embedded database. The solution should be easier to integrate on different solutions.

The data classification is very difficult in Symantec. It's hard to integrate the detect activation tools, whereas, in Forcepoint DLP, it's better. It's very user-friendly and the quality is defined and it is very clear. Symantec should try to emulate those aspects of Forcepoint.

It's difficult to implement in a protected environment, due to its architectural layout.

The initial implementation is quite complex.

The technical support has really dropped in quality since Broadcom acquired the product.

I've used the solution for a month so far and for endpoint channel only. It hasn't been too long.

The solution is stable. I've seen the people are using it in very large organizations with no problems. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's not buggy. There aren't glitches. However, it's difficult to maintain and run the product.

The solution is quite scalable. From articles I found online, it looks like you can manage around 5,000 to 10,000 endpoints easily through Symantec. You can expand it by quite a bit if you need to.

I've only been using the solution myself over the course of a month. I implemented the solution to two or three other users. I do not plan to increase usage as my intention is to move to another product.

The technical support, after Broadcom acquired Symantec, has been not very good. It used to be maintained by Symantec itself. Since then, there has been a drop off in responsiveness and helpfulness. After being acquired by Broadcom, the support, even at the endpoint level, took two to four days.

We aren't satisfied with the level of support. It should be faster.

This is the first DLP I've used, however, I am switching over to Forcepoint DLP. I'm not staying with Symantec.

the initial setup is not straightforward or simple. It's quite complex.

The whole deployment process took about two days or so.

In Symantec, you have to first install the Oracle database, then you can go on to install the enforce server and then detection servers. It will take time.

I have done the entire installation by myself with the help of some installation guides. I did not contact a consultant or integrator for assistance.

We have a license for our clients. However, in my case, I've only used the trial license in my environment.

I've looked into Forcepoint and it seems to be much better as it's user-friendly and there are some other features that I like. I've just looked into it for comparison purposes. I've never actually used it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to other organizations, however, I would warn them it's difficult to maintain due to its architecture.

Senior IT Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Great exfiltration capabilities, very reliable, and offers good technical support
    • "The exfiltration capabilities are great. You can put all of these rules in the product to detect the patterns and text."
    • "The database is a problem for us, as it's running on Oracle and not everybody likes that."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to detect the exfiltration.

What is most valuable?

The exfiltration capabilities are great. You can put all of these rules in the product to detect the patterns and text. You can build the rules to detect credit cards and personal information, for example.

Technical support, by and large, is very helpful.

In general, it's a solid, dependable product.

What needs improvement?

The database is a problem for us, as it's running on Oracle and not everybody likes that. There's a licensing issue with the database. There's a sizing issue with licensing. They did improve it a bit. It supports a virtual server now. However, the pricing and the fact that you install it on the machine and you have to count all the CPU, makes it a problem. It's workable. We dedicated a physical machine to it. It's a bit of a legacy solution.

The licensing is a bit of an issue for us. They need to work on the way the licensing is set up.

A feature we would like to see is entropy detection in text. We need something that detects when you send an email and you try to hide something by using simple encryption techniques. It's typically called entropy. If we had entropy detection in the regular text that would be ideal

I've been working with the solution for about a year. It hasn't been that long.

It's a pretty solid, reliable product. We haven't had any issues with it overall.

We've found the technical support to be quite helpful and responsive. We're very happy with the level of support we receive.

The licensing is an issue. You need to get a dedicated machine. Otherwise, you have to pay for all the CPU in your data center or all the clusters in VMware. It used to be two issues. One was the support of virtualization and one was licensing. In the latest release, they solved the virtualization. They said "Okay, you can run the database and everything could be on the virtual machine", which is great. The other issue of licensing is still a pending issue. We still have to run on the dedicated hardware, however, it needs to be a small cluster or a small machine, to not pay for the entire cluster.

What other advice do I have?

We are Symantec partners.

We are using the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure of the exact version number, however.

Overall it's an excellent product. It helps you reach your goal and solve some issues. We did it in six months. It's really an excellent product. There is a bit of a legacy component about the database and the way it works. We can see that the evolution of the technology was a bit slow for the backend, however, the product itself is solid.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall. We've been largely quite satisfied with its capabilities.

Faisal Mian - PeerSpot reviewer
    CTO at ABM Info. tech
    An excellent product with good technical support and good stability
    • "Technical support is very professional and responsive."
    • "The deployment is complex."

What is our primary use case?

Where we are so far deployed is into the financial sector and in telecom, and they want to evaluate what kind of information users are usually trying to touch, which they're not supposed to be touched. They want to see that analysis. If there are any outflows, they want to mediate that as well - especially if there is any breach on the team.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it is an excellent product.

The product is stable.

Technical support is very professional and responsive.

What needs improvement?

It's not a scalable product.

It only works on the Windows platform. It doesn't support Linux, which is unfortunate. Most of the clients these days use Linux. It would be ideal if Symantec could have more integrations with the different operating systems as well on the DLP. That would be much better.

The deployment is complex.

We have been dealing with Data Loss Prevention since 2008.

The stability of the solution is great. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution isn't very scalable. A company can expand if they need to.

I currently have three customers using the solution at this point.

Technical support is good. They are responsive and professional and the solution is stable. Clients are well looked after.

On the DLP side, we do Forcepoint and Symantec. It depends on the client and, and at which stage of the business cycle you are engaged with the end-user. If someone's already engaged with Symantec, then it's no use to follow up on the same product with the client. In that scenario, we go for Forcepoint. If the client is new and we are initiators of the solution, in that case, we prefer Symantec.

The installation of Symantec DLP is not straightforward. You need to understand the concept of the technology before you can deploy it. It's not as simple or straightforward and a certain level of skill set is definitely required.

You need one engineer, a person in presales, and a backup in order to deploy the product.

Customers do have to pay a yearly licensing fee in order to use the solution.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is deployed mostly on-premises, however, you can have agents on the cloud as well, and data classification can be done there. The server can be deployed on the cloud. It can be a hybrid as well. That said, it's mostly deployed on-prem.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Manager Cyber Forensic at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Good dashboard and reporting, but it does not detect monitor and file sharing to RDP, and the support is poor
    • "The dashboard, management section, and reporting are good."
    • "The dashboard, management section, and reporting are good."
    • "There are some features that are not available which are required by every data loss prevention solution."
    • "It is very difficult to log in to create a support ticket because no one is available to support our queries."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for data loss prevention and confidential classification for internal public architecture.

We are trying to prevent the data loss of sensitive files that are confidential, and not let them out of the organization's control.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard, management section, and reporting are good.

What needs improvement?

We are having support issues. We had local support but since the acquisition, the support is now only five teams. It is very difficult to log in to create a support ticket because no one is available to support our queries. In India, it's especially needed.

It has some feature deficiencies, as well. For example, it won't monitor the remote desktop and the file-sharing to the RDP. It's not detecting it and RDP is not supported well. The issue is not only with RDP, but rather it's with the product used to provide the remote support. If the data is leaked through that application, then Symantec doesn't monitor that section.

There are some features that are not available, which are required by every data loss prevention solution.

In the next release, encryption should be available. For example, if an extended drive is plugged into the endpoint and someone tried to copy the data to the external drive, the Symantec DLP component doesn't encrypt the drive. If you want the encryption feature you have to purchase an additional component for it. This could be an integral part of Symantec today.

This solution is stable. We have not experienced any issues.

There is a problem with technical support. It's not available.

I submitted a case two months ago, and still, I have not received a response.

We deployed locally in our environment. All of the channels such as emails, web, and endpoints are covered.

The pricing is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

Technical support is very poor. I am frustrated and irritated by the issue, so it is difficult to offer advice or recommend this solution.

If someone would ask me if they should implement this solution, I would have to say no, only because of the support issue. It is a very big concern.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

Data Loss Prevention and Data Classification at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Identifies data and handles exact data matching criteria, plus it offers good technical support
    • "What I like about Symantec Data Loss Prevention is the technical support it provides. It's good."
    • "Sometimes setting up the solution can get a little tricky because it would depend on your internal infrastructure. For example, you have to connect the Symantec Data Loss Prevention platform and you need to integrate it, so that could make the process somewhat difficult."

What is our primary use case?

The use case for Symantec Data Loss Prevention depends on the requirements, for example, customer requirements and needs. Overall, the solution is used for identifying data and handling exact data matching criteria.

What is most valuable?

What I like about Symantec Data Loss Prevention is the technical support it provides. It's good.

What needs improvement?

Currently, I can't see any areas for improvement in Symantec Data Loss Prevention because the solution seems to be better than all the other vendors out there. It seems all the other vendors are trying to mimic what Symantec Data Loss Prevention is doing in terms of components, practice, and modules.

I've been dealing with Symantec Data Loss Prevention for ten years. I'm using the most up-to-date version of the solution.

Symantec Data Loss Prevention is a stable solution.

Symantec Data Loss Prevention is a scalable solution.

I like the technical support for Symantec Data Loss Prevention. It's pretty good. Support is one of the advantages of the solution. Support is a little costly, but you get what you pay for.

The initial setup for Symantec Data Loss Prevention is straightforward, particularly if you use the guide, but it gets a little complex based on the networking connectivity you have within your environment. Sometimes setting up the solution can get a little tricky because it would depend on your internal infrastructure. For example, you have to connect the Symantec Data Loss Prevention platform and you need to integrate it, so that could make the process somewhat difficult.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to others looking into implementing Symantec Data Loss Prevention is to make sure they have a lot of resources on their servers, particularly in terms of disc size, CPU, etc. The bigger the box is, the better.

There's no perfect solution, so I'm giving Symantec Data Loss Prevention a rating of nine.

IT Security Specialist at TT Systems LLC
    Installation was straightforward and technical support was good
    • "What we like about Symantec Data Loss Prevention is that it's a very good product. We never faced any problems with its performance. It has very good performance. There was this RAM issue, but it was an internal issue which we've sorted out. Apart from the RAM issue, there are no other issues with Symantec Data Loss Prevention."
    • "What could be improved in Symantec Data Loss Prevention is its security. It should be more secure."

What is our primary use case?

We use Symantec Data Loss Prevention mostly for preventing and protecting against email threats. The tool tracks internal to external emails. Whatever attachment there is that's moving from internal to external is also tracked. If someone's sending a file, it would also be forwarded to the team lead or manager. The password for signing into the email should not be shared because when shared, it will be blocked. We have configured these policies in Symantec Data Loss Prevention. The tool also tracks whenever a user transfers data from one machine to another. These are our use cases for it.

What is most valuable?

What we like about Symantec Data Loss Prevention is that it's a very good product. We never faced any problems with its performance. It has very good performance. There was this RAM issue, but it was an internal issue which we've sorted out. Apart from the RAM issue, there are no other issues with Symantec Data Loss Prevention.

What needs improvement?

What could be improved in Symantec Data Loss Prevention is its security. It should be more secure.

I've been dealing with Symantec Data Loss Prevention for almost four years.

Symantec Data Loss Prevention is a stable tool.

The technical support for Symantec Data Loss Prevention is very good.

The installation for Symantec Data Loss Prevention was straightforward. It took almost fifteen days to completely roll it out.

What other advice do I have?

I have experience with Symantec Data Loss Prevention. I've implemented it. I was the Symantec expert, and I've also implemented Symantec Endpoint Protection, Symantec Mail Security for Exchange, Symantec SharePoint, and Symantec network storage devices, in my previous projects.

Symantec Data Loss Prevention was deployed on-premises only because the customer requirement was to not forward the logs through the cloud directly, so the solution was installed on-premises.

In terms of the number of clients my company has for Symantec Data Loss Prevention, there are currently two thousand clients.

I would surely recommend the tool to others. Whenever my company goes to the customers, the team always recommends either Forcepoint or Symantec Data Loss Prevention.

My rating for Symantec Data Loss Prevention is nine out of ten.

Download our free Symantec Data Loss Prevention Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022
    Product Categories
    Data Loss Prevention (DLP)