Sophos XG OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sophos XG is the #6 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Sophos XG an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Sophos XG is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Sophos XG vs Fortinet FortiGate. Sophos XG is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 44% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 24% of all views.
Sophos XG Buyer's Guide

Download the Sophos XG Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Sophos XG?

Sophos XG Firewall is a complete firewall solution that provides all the real-time security and insights you need to protect your network from ransomware and advanced threats. Sophos XG Firewall provides visibility into suspicious users, unknown and unwanted apps, encrypted traffic, and other threats. With its advanced artificial intelligence capabilities, Sophos XG Firewall immediately identifies potential risks and intrusions on web servers and networks.

Sophos XG Firewall Features

Sophos XG Firewall offers a wide range of security features, including:

• Application control: Prevent widespread infections with XG’s Security Heartbeat. XG Firewall automatically identifies the source of an infection on a network and automatically prevents it from accessing other network resources.

• Synchronized user ID: Eliminate the need for client or server authentication agents by sharing user identification between the endpoint and the firewall through Security Heartbeat.

• Centralized management: Easily manage all activities with Sophos Central. The XG cloud management platform allows users to easily set up, manage, and monitor XG firewalls along with other Sophos products. Some of Sophos Central’s features include alerting, backup management, one-click firmware updates, and rapid deployments of new firewalls.

• Lateral movement protection: Automatically isolate compromised systems at every point in the network to stop attacks dead in their tracks.

• Network protection: Protect networks from attacks and threats while providing secure network access.

• Web protection: Gain clear visibility and control over all users’ web and application activity.

• Web server protection: Solidify web servers and applications against hacking attacks while providing secure web access.

• Email protection: Consolidate email protection with anti-spam, DLP, and encryption. XG’s Live Anti-Spam provides protection from the most recent spam campaigns, phishing attacks, and malicious attachments. Data Loss Prevention automatically triggers encryption on sensitive data in outgoing emails.

Reviews from Real Users

Sophos XG Firewall stands out among its competitors, among other reasons, for its intrusion detection capabilities, its user-friendly management platform, and in general, for being a complete and robust firewall solution.

Niranjan P., a network & system support engineer, writes, “Sophos is a comprehensive solution which allows me to configure all the attendant products, such as Sophos's firewall, endpoint, and encryption features. A nice feature of Sophos is that it offers in sync and heartbeat security. When my clients have a perimeter involving Sophos firewall and endpoints with Sophos Endpoint, they can communicate with each other.”

Antonio D., sales manager at INFOSEC, notes, “The product has a console that is based in the cloud for all their products. In this console, they have email security, firewall security, endpoint security, et cetera. All of the products on offer in the console are very useful for us. The solution is stable. The solution works well for enterprises and large-scale organizations.”

Antony M., ICT/HMIS supervisor at a healthcare company, writes, “The VPN feature is the most valuable. It has come in handy during this period when people are working from home. The filtering feature is also valuable because you can easily filter the sites that you don't want to visit. You can also set timely surfing quotas”

Sophos XG Video

Archived Sophos XG Reviews (more than two years old)

Networking Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to set up, good support, and the display of bandwidth usage statistics is interesting. There is a drill down menu showing bandwidth usage for each application. Easy to configure e-mail rules.
  • "What we found valuable is the way they deal with emails, as well as the way the bandwidth usage is shown."
  • "We are having challenges when using Zoom with Sophos XG deployed."

What is our primary use case?

Right now, we are using this product as a perimeter firewall just to deal with emails and to protect servers, as well as other equipment that is on the network.

What is most valuable?

What we found valuable is the way they deal with emails, as well as the way the bandwidth usage is shown. I find this information to be very interesting.

What needs improvement?

We are having challenges with social media because ever since this issue of COVID-19 came into existence, the idea of using online discussions has become relevant. Before this, they were not made the priority because they were not considered to be important. Now, we've discovered that we need to use a lot of these online applications.

We are having challenges when using Zoom with Sophos XG deployed. Our wireless network is not stable through the connection. More work needs to be done there, since the FW is doubling up as a wireless controller.

I would like to see improvements made to the display and visibility. I'm also using Sophos XG firewall as our wireless controller, but as it is now, I can't see my access points on the firewall. My wish is to see the Wireless network and reports also on this firewall cum- controller.

We have been using Sophos XG for almost three years.

Sophos XG
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Sophos XG. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Sophos XG is stable and we have no problems with it.

I think there is a limitation on the issue of scalability, and it is related to the interfaces that we bought. Right now, all of the employees are using it. The traffic that passes through it covers close to 2,000 users.

For us, our bandwidth is growing so we may have to scale further, in terms of the hardware networking components.

We are constantly in touch with the distributor in Zimbabwe and they are excellent.

Prior to Sophos XG, we were using Cyberoam for our firewall. We switched because Cyberoam was acquired by Sophos.

The initial setup is very simple. It takes perhaps an hour to complete, which included importing rules from Cyberoam.

We completed some certifications for using this product, but for the implementation, we were assisted by IDSS. In some instances, we are doing the maintenance on our own. When we have a challenge, on a case-by-case basis, we might contact the vendor and may require them to come in and assist.

The issue of a recurring license is a hassle because every year, we have to subscribe. It causes us problems in our organization.

What other advice do I have?

We are expanding and setting up a new data center, and I want to put a new firewall in. We have an interest in diversifying, in terms of vendors, so that we do not create a single point of failure in case one product fails. Ideally, we want to have different products.

This is a product that I can recommend for anybody who is looking for a firewall.

I would rate this solution a eight point six out of ten.

Abhirup Sarkar - PeerSpot reviewer
Director, Middle East, East India & SAARC at DMX Technologies
Good support, easy to set up, and the VPN helps ensure secure connections for people working remotely
  • "The feature that we find most valuable is the VPN, which ensures that people working remotely have a secure connection."
  • "We feel that the GUI can be improved a bit because it has a lot of information and looks a bit outdated."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product as the firewall for our head office, so any connections going outside of the office go through it. We are also using VPN clients and especially during the lockdown, it was very helpful.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we find most valuable is the VPN, which ensures that people working remotely have a secure connection.

The email security and other security-related features are useful.

What needs improvement?

Nowadays, you hear a lot about next-generation firewalls, so some additional features can be added from an EI perspective. Products like FortiGate, for example, have a lot of features apart from the basic firewall.

We would like to see integration with existing IPAM and IDAM products.

In the future, I would like to see new kinds of automations, as well as the inclusion of artificial intelligence-related features. A lot of other firewalls already have these now.

I have been using Sophos XG for approximately three years.

We have not had many issues, perhaps two or three of them, when using Sophos XG.

Scalability-wise, they have different models. With the requirements that we have, this firewall did a good job. It's still doing a good job in terms of performance. For a larger enterprise with a higher number of users, they can recommend other models.

Currently, we have approximately 100 users.

We have received good support. For the small number of issues that we have had, we received help from IT. This included assistance with configuring some additional policies. Whenever we reached out to them, they were very prompt in terms of responding to us.

Prior to Sophos XG, we were using a firewall by Palo Alto. The major reason we began looking for a different one was that the support was not very good. The firewall was pretty decent but whenever we wanted some help, it was a bit difficult to reach out to them. To summarize, it was not very prompt.

The initial setup was simple. Within one to two hours, we were done. This was not just the installation, but the complete configuration.

We performed the deployment with the Sophos team guiding us over the phone. It was not complex. There was one person from Sophos who was coordinating it, and it was done by our internal IT manager.

What other advice do I have?

For the most part, I can say that we plan to continue using this product. However, we would like to see if they have come up with new models and what additional features have they been incorporating. With cybersecurity, I know there have been a lot of threats of late, so we would like to see some new technologies or new features being incorporated.

This is a product that I can recommend. My advice for anybody who is implementing it is to first try to understand what the major use cases are. People need to know that there are quite a few options, such as Fortinet, and all of them have different advantages. Sophos fits perfectly for a smaller group of users, with perhaps between a hundred and two hundred people. For larger enterprises, I recommend that they implement Fortinet or Check Point.

Sophos XG
November 2022
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jasim Alsafran - PeerSpot reviewer
Network & System Administrator at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to set up, monitor, and block traffic, but the stability could be better
  • "The most valuable features are the central management, the user VPN, and communications."
  • "I need to open the email to see what it contains and the value of it before I know whether to access it or not."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product to monitor traffic, payments, and VPN access to our branches. Some are using VPN with hooks, Sophos XG 210, and the main one they are using in the data center is Sophos XG 310.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the central management, the user VPN, and communications.

You can monitor and block traffic.

What needs improvement?

In regards to email as an example, if you experience any malware, it is contained in the container but doesn't give you any information about the email, or what is contained in the email. You only have the option to reject it or to release it.

I need to open the email to see what it contains and the value of it before I know whether to access it or not.

Stability needs improvements.

We started with Sophos SG UTM 9, then we upgraded to XG. We have been using the latest version of XG for two years.

The stability could be better.

It's scalable and good for small businesses.

We have approximately 120 users.

I have contacted technical support three to five times per year.

It's good, but I don't have many questions to ask.

Previously, I was using Sophos SG. We were not using any other software from any other vendor. We have only dealt with Sophos.

The initial setup was simple. It was not complicated.

If you are familiar with the technology, the implementation will not be difficult.

It also depends on the business needs.

From testing and switching from SG to XG, it took approximately one week to deploy.

We had help from the vendor. The maintenance and the VPN connection is done in-house.

It is not expensive, it's a reasonable price.

There are some additional fees for additional tools.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend Sophos XG to others who are interested in using this solution.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Chef IT at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Stable, with an intuitive and user-friendly dashboard
  • "This solution does everything and anything a firewall can do."
  • "There is an area that is very specific to our setup, where working tools you cannot easily establish a VPN between two internal networks."

What is our primary use case?

This solution does everything and anything a firewall can do.

What is most valuable?

I am tempted to say that all of the features are valuable.

When you choose a firewall you have to make a strategic decision, much more than a tactical one. We decided that everything we use within it, goes through and it's got protection.

The dashboard is intuitive and user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Training on the devices is an area that needs improvement. Their training mechanisms are not perfect, and this is where you lose a good appreciation of the product.

The documentation for implementation is not good. For example, when you look up the details on a firewall rule to validate it, the details are not there.

If you click on the help file, they say a zone is an area where you can define specific logical network areas. This is where they stop, with nothing more. If you want to go further into the concept of it, which you know there is, you have nothing. Then you have to revert to the internet and go onto newsgroups to try to see if anybody has had your type of experience. Then you find someone, they explain it to you then say, "Oh, it only makes sense". So, then when you want to implement this, it's much easier at that time. So, that's the best-case scenario that I can explain.

There is an area that is very specific to our setup, where working tools you cannot easily establish a VPN between two internal networks.

When you want to establish a VPN with different wizards, they assume that you're always going through your internet link.

If you want to create, with the zero-trust concept, which is where you don't trust anybody or any device, you want to make sure that everything on your network is segmented and everything is relative, depending on its flexibility, behind its firewall or a firewall segment. At some points, you might want to establish VPNs between certain network segments.

Since you cannot establish VPN tunnels from the Sophos interfaces, plus if you are doing something that's going through the internet, then you lose flexibility.

Currently, let's say we have a factory V-LAN and you don't want anybody within the factory V-LAN to be able to connect to another unless it is to a specific V-LAN, and you want to use VPN technology, you can't do it because you can't establish the connection again between two internal interfaces.

I have been working with Sophos XG for six years.

It's a stable product.

In regards to scalability, it's difficult to ascertain at this time because we haven't scaled it necessarily.

The use cases that we have are very particular, and we're not in a mode of having scaled it yet. We have approximately 100 users in our organization who are using  Sophos XG.

Their support, we have a mixed review of it. It's good, but where it's bad, is because they're an international company that relies on many different continents to be able to get the support at different levels.

When we get into the people that are from India, that's where the support becomes not as efficient as we would want it to be. They have different rules of operating under and they don't show themselves to be flexible. Whereas where I am, currently I'm in Canada. When I speak to the support people within Canada, they're much more flexible when it comes to trying to follow us up on what we're trying to do and get the thing working. They're more flexible.

It was a combination of 75 percent straightforward and 25 percent complicated.

It's approximately $6,000 for each device. We have three devices and it was somewhere around $18,000.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Sophos XG to others who are interested in using it.

Information Systems Infrastructure Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Local support and good training, but the wireless controller and scalability can be better
  • "I like the firewall, inbound, and outbound modules the most. The VPN feature also works well. It is very easy to configure rules in Sophos XG. We have got local service here in Zimbabwe from Sophos, which is something that I like a lot. We have got good local support, and they come on-site when we have any challenges. Sophos provides a lot of good training all around Zimbabwe. They are quite dominant here, similar to other solutions like Fortinet or WatchGuard."
  • "When you are using it as a controller for the wireless access points, it doesn't perform well. It is not suitable for the public cloud. It is more suitable for enterprise data. It is not really the equipment for cloud data centers. I am looking for a data center firewall."

What is our primary use case?

I am using it for unified management.

What needs improvement?

It is not suitable for the public cloud. It is more suitable for enterprise data. It is not really the equipment for cloud data centers. I am looking for a data center firewall.

I have been using Sophos XG for more than five years. I started with Cyberoam, which was bought by Sophos.

It is stable. I have managed to secure my network. It has been good so far.

It is not so scalable. If you want to upgrade, you have to buy another appliance. I don't see so much scalability. You can only change a port from 1 gigabit to 10 gigabits. There are other solutions like Fortinet that are more scalable.

Their support is good. We get local support from them.

The initial setup is straightforward. The deployment took two days.

The pricing is flexible. Sophos looks at a country's economy and offers flexible pricing. This is how they have managed to penetrate the market.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend it. It has good support and training.

I would rate Sophos XG a seven out of ten.

System Administrator Server and Networks at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Good filtering capability, but the interface is slow and it is difficult for beginners to understand
  • "The most valuable feature is web filtering."
  • "The reaction time of the GUI is terrible when compared to other manufacturers."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to protect all of the connections to our sites and for web filtering.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is web filtering.

What needs improvement?

The behavior with the zones was a little bit tricky to understand and the beginning of the project.

Sophos XG is difficult to manage and it is difficult to understand when you first begin.

The reaction time of the GUI is terrible when compared to other manufacturers.

We have been using Sophos XG for about a year and a half.

This is a stable product, although the web GUI is slow. We plan to use it for another couple of years.

This is a small site, and we have 15 users.

The initial setup for Sophos XG was not straightforward. We already had experience with Sophos UTM, but they are completely different systems. The deployment took us one week to complete.

We deployed this solution in-house.

I now have a proof of concept with a FortiGate firewall and we are trying some test cases on it.

What other advice do I have?

For now, this is not a product that I can recommend.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

it_user1274955 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Director of IT Operations at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A good tool that offers stable and reliable protection
  • "It's a good security tool and it aligns with the rest of our security stack."
  • "The VPN is in need of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

This firewall is being used to protect our site.

What is most valuable?

It's a good security tool and it aligns with the rest of our security stack.

What needs improvement?

The VPN is in need of improvement. For us, it is hard to set up and it not working properly.

We have been using the Sophos XG at one of our sites for about a year.

This product is part of our infrastructure and we use it every day. The internet stays up with no outages, so I think that Sophos XG is a stable product.

We have not had the need to scale to this point. Our entire organization is protected by it.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

Prior to this solution, we were using Meraki. My company has a better partner channel with Sophos, which is why we switched.

Our in-house technical team deployed this firewall.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking into implementing this product is to trust your techs.

This is a good product, although there is always room for improvement.

Unmesh Deshpande - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at Kingsway Hospitals
A great UI with very intuitive features; comprehensive documentation ensuring issues are easily resolved
  • "Great interface and in-built help is very intuitive."
  • "Lacking network access control, user profiling and analytics dashboards."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for protection and to have better governance for our LAN usage. I've got a lot of people working from outside on the corporate infra and all policy based decisions happen there. The solution is basically a firewall that protects us from various internet threats, but other than that provides controlled and properly managed access using various rules of VPN and other fingerprints of people logging in. I'm the CTO of the company and we are customers of Sophos.

What is most valuable?

The interface is great and easy to understand. Any firewall engineer who has medium to moderate experience on bylaws, can easily understand the UI. The language presented on various features and the in-built help, is very intuitive. If you have a problem you can figure it out there and then. As a result, there is less probability that we'll call tech support.

What needs improvement?

The solution really needs some additional features like network access control. If they could incorporate some user profiling and present the analytics of the login user usage patterns, or a typical proper management dashboard to take a decision on the firewall rules, that would be useful. Basically, MI's and the dashboard could be more user friendly. The information is there but the dashboards are not in a graphical format. In short, I'd like to see network access control, user profiling and analytics dashboards. It would make the solution a more competitive product on the market.

I've been using this solution for over four years.

This is a stable solution. I haven't had any firewall crashes or any non-performing rules for over two years. We are a hospital so all the lights of all the devices should be on 24/7, 365 days a year.

We manage and control around 250-300 internal users. There would probably be another 75-100 logging in externally.

This is definitely a scalable solution. The way we've configured it, if a device goes down, it can be shut off and removed from the network for repairs or updates and our second firewall automatically takes the load.

We only used technical support during our initial deployment. After that, we didn't need support because the product was working perfectly well. We trained ourselves on the newer software and we are capable of managing and maintaining our own firewalls. In addition, Sophos provides online documentation which is very user friendly. If you follow the steps you get the result.

I previously used Cisco's firewall ASA and it was extensively implemented in my earlier role. The main reason to migrate to Sophos was due to their aggressiveness in terms of pricing but also the fact that they had features that Cisco did not have.

The initial setup was very straightforward. Deployment took somewhere between six and eight hours.

There's no annual licensing fee. When we purchased the product, it was with a five year agreement bundled in with the product price and the recent rollout is not yet five years old. When we renew, we'll renegotiate. I can't differentiate between the product costs and the licensing costs at this point. We're very lucky that we get one of the best deals in the country in terms of pricing. The Sophos-backed pre-sales and implementation team were very cooperative and collaborative which really helped us make the decision to choose Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution but it's only suitable if it fits the needs of the company so I would suggest carrying out some research. Why does the company need a firewall? What rules do they want to deploy on the firewall? Based on the answers to those questions the company can make a call.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Manager IT at a retailer with 201-500 employees
Stable IPS features and good technical support, but the reporting needs to be improved
  • "The most valuable feature is the intrusion prevention system."
  • "The two main areas where this product needs improvement are routing and reporting."

What is our primary use case?

We use this firewall as part of our security solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the intrusion prevention system.

What needs improvement?

The security can be improved, as well.

I have been using Sophos XG for more than two or three years.

Stability has not been a problem for us.

I am satisfied with the scalability.

The technical support from Sophos is excellent.

I previously used the Microsoft Firewall. It is easy to use but it doesn't the IPS and malware detection capabilities that Sophos has.

The initial setup and configuration are not difficult for somebody with firewall experience. However, for somebody who has not worked on one in the past, it will be complicated.

We had assistance with the deployment.

The price is cheaper than that of some competing vendors.

Prior to implementing Sophos, I tried using a solution by Fortinet. However, it was much more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to ensure that somebody with firewall experience handles the deployment.

Overall, I find that this is a good product. That said, there are improvements that need to be made in the routing, reporting, and security.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

it_user1375350 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Analyst- Presales and delivery at TechNexa Technologies Private Limited
Endpoint firewall and proxy that is user-friendly, easily scaled, and has good synchronization features
  • "it's user-friendly, not complex."
  • "The uploading and downloading of reports should be included."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is as an endpoint firewall and proxy.

What is most valuable?

The features that are most valuable are synchronized security, the security hard build, the application synchronization, and the events synchronization.

it's user-friendly, not complex.

What needs improvement?

The uploading and downloading of reports should be included.

We are looking for a firewall to block the uploads from the user, not the downloads. I would like to see this feature updated.

In the next release, I would like the uploading and downloading reports to be included.

I have been using this solution for almost two years.

We will be upgrading to the newest version that was released two or three months ago.

This product is stable.

This solution is easily scalable. We have 15 to 20 users.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It's easy to understand and to install.

I am a technical analyst and handling the pre-sales. We provide and implement the solution to our customers.

Jay Thompson - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Operational Officer at Merchant Light LLC
Reseller
Easy to set up, keeps extensive logs, and scans all traffic for malware
  • "The most valuable feature is that it scans all of the data for any kind of malware."
  • "It would be helpful if they had a set of standard templates because it would assist in the beginning, when you are just getting started."

What is our primary use case?

We are going to be hosting our own website and we are using the Sophos XG because we want to make sure that it is well protected. We also want to make sure that the rest of our LAN is not compromised.

In addition to using this firewall ourselves, we resell the product to our customers. We have a well-trained team that can perform the implementation and deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

Our network is now much better protected than it was. If you don't have your network and your infrastructure secured, as a business, which is about more than just putting a firewall in place, then you're asking for trouble. There is a lot of hunting going on, and it's not just the large corporations. It's the small businesses, too.

What is most valuable?

It logs everything that goes in or out, and the logs are helpful.

The simplicity of the setup is very good. I can add whatever ports I need and it's pretty easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if they had a set of standard templates because it would assist in the beginning, when you are just getting started. They do have a template, but I mean specifically for different use cases. For example, an existing template for setting up a web page would suggest what kind of security we need to have in place. They do have help menus and videos, but additional templates would be useful.

I have been using Sophos XG for about eight months.

The stability has been rock solid and it hasn't gone down once.

For me, there is essentially no limit when it comes to scaling. I have never used all of the connections but the limitation is between 50,000 and 200,000. I would say that scalability is enormous. If we had a bigger network then I would probably get a bigger Sophos.

At this point, we're just starting and only have three or four people who are regularly using it.

The technical support is awesome.

We did have a Cisco router prior to using Sophos XG, but I don't know much about Cisco or how to get it operational. I also realized that it was getting old, so we switched to a high-end Sophos model. With malware in this day and age, where we have a 6000% increase in the number of malware attacks compared to two years ago, we wanted to be well protected.

The initial setup is straightforward. If I can do it then anyone can do it. The deployment took a couple of hours. Because we are new to this type of solution, our strategy will be to begin by blacklisting everything and then whitelisting only the things that we need.

Our in-house team handled the implementation and deployment. We have more than 200 people that are very well trained, so we can set up pretty much anything.

We paid for our licensing for three years, upfront, and there are no costs in addition to the standard fees.

I evaluated several options and sought out advice before selecting Sophos XG.

What other advice do I have?

I am happy with this solution, which is one of the reasons that we are selling it. I don't like to sell or recommend things that I have not used. I have tried a lot of the features but I would say that there is a lot more potential I haven't even tested at this point.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

it_user1359756 - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner/President at TeamLogic IT of Oklahoma City
MSP
Easy to manage, performs well, and the pricing is good
  • "The cloud-based interface makes it easy to manage."
  • "The weakest point is the technical support because they are difficult to get into contact with."

What is our primary use case?

We are a managed service provider and the primary firewall that we sell and maintain is Sophos XG. It is also used in the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is a next-generation firewall.

The fact that it is integrated between endpoints and the firewall, and then the firewall and a central Sophos operation center, is very good.

The cloud-based interface makes it easy to manage.

The integration with the Intercept X approach means that Sophos XG can do things that none of the others are doing.

What needs improvement?

The main area that needs improvement is the documentation.

Sophos needs to be a little better at communicating with partners about changes, issues, patches, and so forth.

We have been using the Sophos XG series for three years.

This solution has been very stable and it's a good product, otherwise, I wouldn't be using it.

The technical support team is knowledgeable and they are good, although it is very hard to get a hold of them. You sometimes have to wait in queue for over an hour to speak with somebody. To me, that is the most frustrating thing about Sophos.

We did not use another similar solution prior to Sophos XG. Since the MSP business started, it has been our primary firewall product because of the pricing and support.

The initial setup is complex, as is setting up any next-generation firewall today. You have to know what you're doing with firewalls in general, although beyond that, it isn't as bad as some of the firewalls that I have seen.

The deployment typically doesn't take longer than a few hours or a day, depending on the type of client and what it is that we have to do.

The Sophos pricing, in general, is better than SonicWall, Fortinet, WatchGuard, or anybody else. Because of the partner program, the pricing I get is extremely good compared to what I would get from any of the others.

I have evaluated several firewall products and I think that Sophos is better in terms of ease of use, performance, and pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly encourage others to evaluate Sophos and adopt it. I've discovered that compared to other products, it is easier to manage and I think that it operates better.

Overall, I think that they've got a pretty complete set of features and they seem to be on a really good path. My only complaints are about the documentation and the availability of technical support.

Purnachandra Rao Koneru - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager IT at QPS Bioserve Pvt Ltd.
Easy to use, robust, and the default templates are helpful
  • "This solution is very user-friendly and even a non-professional can configure the policies."
  • "The cloud support needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I was using the Sophos XG firewall in my last job, where it was part of our security solution.

We had multiple locations with the internet being provided from a central location. Each of our locations was connected point-to-point using MPLS lines. Using Sophos meant that we didn't need to have a router.

What is most valuable?

The default templates are helpful because if you want to create new policies, they make it easy to do anything you want.

Sophos XG is a very robust technology.

This solution is very user-friendly and even a non-professional can configure the policies.

There are unlimited SSL VPN clients and it is free with Sophos.

What needs improvement?

The cloud support needs to be improved. As it is, they only have support for Microsoft Azure. They should expand it to include providers like Amazon and Alibaba.

I have not heard complaints of bugs or glitches occurring.

Sophos is a scalable technology that is being regularly updated.

I have been in contact with technical support many times and they are very good.

Currently, in my new company, I am using Fortinet. This is a very basic firewall and ultimately, I would like to update them.

The initial setup is not complicated. For somebody with an intermediate level of knowledge, it will take between three and four hours to deploy. For a more experienced person, it may take two or three.

I am currently in the process of evaluating the different firewalls that are available in India.  One of the options is Sophos, and I am also considering others such as SonicWall and Palo Alto.

With Fortinet and SonicWall, there is a limit of 10 people who can simultaneously connect using the VPN.

What other advice do I have?

Sophos XG is a firewall that I would recommend for people who are looking for good security in a medium-scale organization.

Hybrid Cloud
Senior System Administrator at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Has a simple setup and has good stability

What is most valuable?

The simplicity of the setup is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Their technical support needs improvement. I've been on hold with them for hours waiting for their support.

I have been using Sophos XG for five years.

They seem pretty stable. They're pretty good devices when they're up and running. Once you get them up and running they seem to work quite well. It runs 24/7.

They're very scalable.

The setup is easy. We did the deployment ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

If you pay for the premium support, you'll get better support from Sophos.

I would rate Sophos XG an eight out of ten.

The integration with their Sophos Central isn't great. That needs some work. If they could work on the integration with Sophos Central, that would be great.

Sayem Abdullah Rihan - PeerSpot reviewer
Administrator IT at ShopUp
Synchronized security centrally monitors endpoints in real-time
  • "This kind of strategic technology makes it much easier to remove malware and address vulnerabilities quickly."
  • "It would be great if the user can have a portal to check on activities related to their account."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for bandwidth control, intrusion prevention, and network security.

How has it helped my organization?

We now have visibility into our network.

What is most valuable?

Sophos operates using a Synchronized Security in its XG platform. It is facilitated by an active connection with all of the network endpoints. This connection operates like a heartbeat, notifying the firewall instinctively when an endpoint has been infected or compromised. The firewall then quarantines the problem area and provides detailed information on how the endpoint was compromised. This kind of strategic technology makes it much easier to remove malware and address vulnerabilities quickly.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if the user can have a portal to check on activities related to their account.

We have been using Sophos SG for two years.

Mohamed Y Ahmed - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical & Pre-Sales Manager at GateLock
Multifaceted security protection to protect us and our customers

What is our primary use case?

This solution is implemented for medium and large enterprises to protect their network from attacks and to filter the web traffic through web protection and application protection modules.

This solution includes Email protection, IPS, Antivirus gateway, ATP, Reporting, VPN, Sophos Wireless controller, load balancer, WAF, and traffic shaping.

How has it helped my organization?

1. It's protecting our networks from threats.
  2. Block URLs and web applications based on business needs.
  3. Not expensive when compared to other vendors, with a great added value.
  4. Impressive synchronized security with its endpoint solution.

What is most valuable?

All of the features are amazing, especially Sandstorm, which prevents bad traffic or downloaded files from reaching our customers' and partners' networks.

What needs improvement?

Network security is in need of improvement.

I have been using this solution for five years.
it_user633438 - PeerSpot reviewer
Information security specialist at a non-tech company with 201-500 employees
Enables us to trace any user and pinpoint any vulnerability or malicious software
  • "We are able to trace any user and pinpoint any vulnerability or any malicious software. We are able to synchronize between the local and active directories so we can catch users easily through their login names and IDs."
  • "There needs to be a way that we can distinguish between educational institutions on Youtube and other Youtube videos. You can do this on Fortinet. Basically, they can block all other Youtube videos besides those that are from educational institutions. With Sophos, you either allow for all Youtube videos or none at all. They need to allow for more specification on different websites."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for application control and web filtering. We also use it as a VPN point, and we use it on other occasions for tracing and reporting about usage and high application rates.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to trace any user and pinpoint any vulnerability or any malicious software. We are able to synchronize between the local and active directories so we can catch users easily through their login names and IDs.

What is most valuable?

The reporting on the solution is excellent.

What needs improvement?

They only have one single location for training videos. They must offer them elsewhere as well. When the site goes down, everything stops, and you can't access the videos when you need them, so they need to diversify that. It's limiting.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The stability of the solution is excellent.

The scalability is good. We could only handle around 5,000 users but even when we reached 3,000 users, Sophos only consumed around 24% and 40% of Prime usage.

The solution's technical support is not the best. When I take a step to open a case with Sophos support I can't understand them at all; I can't understand their accent. I always appreciate if they can communicate with me through e-mail instead, which makes it much easier.

Many cases take a long time to be resolved. Some cases they seem to ignore or don't reply to for a long time so I have to remind them that the case is still open before they will respond.

The initial setup was straightforward. The implementation took about a day. There were only two people needed for deployment.

We had a consultant assist with the setup. They were very good.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten. It's a very good firewall. It helps a lot with protection, and every organization needs a firewall to ensure they are protected.

‎Chief Operating Officer at Al Manar
An excellent firewall solution with reasonable licensing rates and a straightforward setup
  • "Price-wise the solution offers acceptable rates. You can find cheaper solutions on the market but when you go cheaper you have fewer features. Today, based on iQuate market the price is very reasonable and affordable, and it's good if you get a good discount. Discounts can be offered by the vendor. If it's a competitive upgrade which means the customer is upgrading from another vendor, Sophos provides extra discount so they can win the deal. In general, it is a good price."
  • "They should expand their DDoS feature. It's basic. They need to enhance it."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution internally in our company and we also deploy it for our customers.

What is most valuable?

We have many Sophos solutions that we use together. We use Sophos UPM and Sophos XG. Next, there are just firewalls. The Sophos UPM is the basic firewall; Sophos XG is a mix of Cyberoam and Surface (Sophos acquired Cyberoam three years ago). We use all the features within these solutions and we have a full set of licenses. They offer IPS, IBS, BPM, web publishing, web protection, etc. We're using everything.

What needs improvement?

They should expand their DDoS feature. It's basic. They need to enhance it.

Technical support needs to be improved.

The solution needs a mobile application for the administrator. Today, as an administrator, you cannot manage the solution from your tablet or from your mobile. You can only go through a web console. Other vendors have mobile apps. Some vendors also have the ability to manage and check the chart report and change some settings from a mobile application. This would be an excellent add-on for administrators who are traveling. It could help a lot.

I've been using the solution for seven years.

For the past seven years, we haven't had any issues with the hardware or software. It's stable. If a customer misconfigured it, they might face issues. Out of the box, however, it's stable; it is an appliance that customers can depend on.

The solution is scalable. Sophos has plans for customers who want to upgrade or add another appliance in the same environment. As a customer, I've deployed to as many as 300 users or as few as 30.

Technical support isn't as good as it needs to be. In most cases, these days, the partner has to work hard to support the customer. The response time and the experience of the support team are not as expected. As a partner, we've never opened a case. Our customers, however, have told us they have had issues.

The solution is straightforward. Deployment took about 30 minutes.

Price-wise the solution offers acceptable rates. You can find cheaper solutions on the market, but when you go cheaper you have fewer features. Today, based on iQuate market the price is very reasonable and affordable, and it's good if you get a good discount. Discounts can be offered by the vendor. If it's a competitive upgrade which means the customer is upgrading from another vendor, Sophos provides extra discounts so they can win the deal. In general, it is a good price.

What other advice do I have?

We are a Sophos partner. We both use the solution and recommend it to clients.

Compared to other competitors, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. However, for very large enterprises, the largest firewall appliance from Sophos might not be enough for thousands of users. If I was rating the solution for enterprises, I would rate it eight out of ten because of this.

I would recommend the solution, however. We often recommend the solution to our clients and it works very well for them.

Chairman at BASL
Excellent integration with the Sophos firewall and has a user-friendly interface
  • "I like the fact that it can self remove malware and do updates on the cloud via Sophos Central."
  • "On reports, they sometimes give a summary, but it lists different users as unknown. There are times that I really want to know which user or which IP is causing a problem."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution as my endpoint firewall and at the same time, I use it for load balancing and spillover.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most is the reporting.

The integration with the Sophos firewall is brilliant. I don't need to be physically present in the office. I can monitor everything from Sophos Central. That is a great feature and it's one thing that I really appreciate about the solution.

I like the fact that it can self remove malware and do updates on the cloud via Sophos Central.

The interface is good.

What needs improvement?

Although I enjoy the reporting elements of the solution, it can still be improved. I still can't drill down. There is some information that I would really, really like to see, but I still can't access it.

On reports, they sometimes give a summary, but it lists different users as unknown. There are times that I really want to know which user or which IP is causing a problem.

I've been using the solution for ten months.

There is something that have observed and I don't know what exactly the problem is. Right now, from my ISP I'm supposed to have unlimited bandwidth, but I observed behind the firewall my bandwidth seems low. I'm not exhausting what I have from my ISP. I've checked the TOS and there's no limit. When I spoke with one of the resellers they said that they too had experienced it before and that probably I should restart the device.

That they observed that the clients that restarted had their internet service improve. I don't think that is a good solution. I don't want to have to restart my device to have the internet service improved.

I've checked the setup. I even checked with the reseller, who told me everything is okay. I've gone for XG training. Even after the XG training, I've gone back to look at my setup. I can't see anywhere the bandwidth is being shared. I'm not sure if it's the device itself, but I've checked everything.

The scalability is okay. We have about 200-250 users.

Technical support can be improved upon. There are times that I've had some issues that I've tried escalating in technical support and it takes a while before we really get it resolved.

Once I was getting a particular malware from an unknown source on one of my servers which was behind the firewall. I asked their support why. Later they advised that I should install Intercept X for servers on that particular device. I was confused about how it was behind a firewall; the firewall should be able to detect which system is getting infected. The system doesn't really go to the internet and nobody browses on it. The only thing I could imagine that could cause it was a Windows update. If it was from an update they least it should have been able to say, "Okay, it was from this particular update that this malware was filtered in."

Out of ten, I would give their service a five.

The solution we were using previously was Cyberoam.

The Cyberoam device was about five years old and had started malfunctioning. It wasn't giving us the output it had previously provided. At that time, Sophos had already bought Cyberoam. We had the option to either upgrade the OS to a Sophos OS or to a Sophos device.

We decided to go for a Sophos device since the Cyberoam device was already problematic.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I used a reseller to assist with implementation.

We pay on a yearly basis.

We have Sophos XG, but we also have Intercept X for our endpoint and recently we just deployed Intercept X for the servers. I've not done a calculation of the costs of all three to know what my yearly maintenance costs would be.

What other advice do I have?

Once you have basic networking skills and firewall management it's easy to set up. With Sophos Central, I think it's a good solution for any IT department.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

As it is now, the solution is good, but I believe that there's still room for more improvement. I still believe the reporting could be improved. Sophos, from my experience, seems to affect my bandwidth. I didn't set any limit, so I don't know where that is coming from, but it's something that we've noticed with the XG.

Support Services Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
An easy to use firewall solution that improves our security
  • "The solution seems pretty stable. We've had no issues so far."
  • "It's easy to use, but it's hard to configure exact settings. They need to make it easier to access advanced features."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution mainly as a firewall.

What is most valuable?

The solution improves security.

What needs improvement?

It's easy to use, but it's harder to configure when you want detailed settings. They need to make it easier to access advanced features.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution seems pretty stable. We've had no issues so far.

We haven't had to scale anything so far, so I'm unsure about the scalability of the solution.

I've never had to deal directly with technical support.

We did not previously use a different solution.

Implementation is straightforward. The only thing that was difficult was that we had some special cases and we had to dig in a lot to find the information for accessing very specific features. Deployment took about a week, however, we did about 6 months of research beforehand. You can deploy the solution with maybe one or two people, but we used five. We only need one person for ongoing maintenance.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

We don't have any costs above the licensing of the solution itself.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

The solution is easy to implement, however, if you do decide on this solution, I would make sure that you have someone that has experience with this kind of solution or to hire someone to implement the solution properly. It will make everything much easier in the long run.

I would rate the solution 9.5 out of ten.

Lead Advance Engineer at IHCC
Very easy to use but bugs find their way through their security
  • "What I like about his program, is that it is easy to use and easy to manage."
  • "The program is rather expensive."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this program is for antivirus and security purposes.

What is most valuable?

What I like about this program is that it is easy to use and easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes we experience difficulties with our server and that is usually due to a bug. Somehow bugs seem to find their way through Sophos' security. The issue is usually resolved when we contact technical support. In the next version, I would like to see an improvement in this. The developers should test everything after any update to ensure that bugs don't come though with the update.

We have been using Sophos XG for three years now.

I've used FortiGate before and I would say that Sophos is just as stable, both being around 70% as stable as other products on the market.

The scalability is good. We have 300 to 400 antivirus end users, and our company has around 1,000 users. We do have plans to increase usage because we are growing our projects around the world to countries like the US, Germany, Pakistan, India, UAE (Dubai) and Egypt.

The technical support is okay. Whenever we call them with an issue, they come to us and resolve the issue. Sometimes they take time, but I still think it's good. I will rate the technical support eight out of ten.

We only use Sophos because it can integrate with other product like FortiGate and we can easily connect the two programs. This makes the program scalable and easy to use. Many other products on the market are not compatible with each other and that is why we chose Sophos.

The initial setup was rather complex but we had no issues with the deployment.

We bought a license for three years and we will renew it but I think the price is too high. If it could be less expensive, more end-users or partners will be able to afford it.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product and I will definitely recommend it. I rate this product a seven out of ten. In the next version I would like to see an advanced level and not only a basic level. Nowadays it is a very useful feature to be able to upgrade.

it_user736143 - PeerSpot reviewer
Operations Manager at iBound
Excellent endpoint protection and easy filtering but needs a slightly better UTM
  • "The filtering is very easy to do. You can segment and create profiles for usage very easily."
  • "The UTM itself needs improvement. When you're navigating it seems like it takes forever to load anything. The hardware is okay. It's just the software that could be more responsive."

What is most valuable?

The endpoint protection plan is the most valuable feature of the solution.

What needs improvement?

The UTM itself needs improvement. When you're navigating it seems like it takes forever to load anything. The hardware is okay. It's just the software that could be more responsive.

I've been using the solution for four years.

We do updates periodically, but the solution is very stable. We haven't had to go back to the site to reconfigure it or anything like that.

At the moment, we haven't had a reason to contact technical support.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

We implemented the solution ourselves.

We tend to go for the bundle because it's pricing is competitive. If a unit comes out and they bundle the hardware with the software, it seems to work for us. I've seen that with future upgrades coming up, that features like this will be taken away. The option to get a combo with hardware means the software portion is mostly free, and then you pay upfront for the three-year license for everything.

However, with the changes, I don't think that's going to be available anymore. It might sway our clients away from Sophos. Maybe there's something that can be worked out. Other than that, we've been happy with the price. It's competitive if you compare it to the competition, from a price point of view.

What other advice do I have?

We use a variety of deployment models, including public cloud, private cloud, and on-premises.

For what we are using the solution for, its practically perfect. We don't need other features added. The solution offers exactly what we need.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

Olufemi Adalemo - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Technology Officer at Leystel Nigeria Limited
Reseller
An easy to manage solution that streamlines processes and management
  • "The SL VPNs are the most valuable feature. I have a lot of systems out of the head office that need to connect to the local networks, and they all connect wirelessly via the Sophos VPN client."
  • "The initial set up process can be a little tricky, especially when you are registering with Sophos using your registration number. Setup is not necessarily complex, but it's not trouble-free. You do have connectivity issues at the initial setup with registering the device on the Sophos platform to access the advanced features. It doesn't always go through the first time around. That may be an issue with the quality of our automation. I'm not sure exactly what it is."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as an internet firewall, and a VPN concentrator.

How has it helped my organization?

It streamlines the process of creating VPN access for users. Because of the AD integration, it makes it very easy to manage these users from different locations from a central source. It also helps us to get a good idea of what our risks are, or if there's any risky activity going on with the users.

What is most valuable?

The SSL VPNs are the most valuable feature for me. I have a lot of systems out of the head office that need to connect to the local networks, and they all connect via the Sophos VPN client.

What needs improvement?

The initial set up process can be a little tricky, especially when you are registering with Sophos and you have a poor internet connection. Setup is not necessarily complex, but it's not trouble-free. You do have connectivity issues at the initial setup with registering the device on the Sophos platform to access the advanced features. It doesn't always go through the first time around. That may be an issue with the quality of our connection. I'm not sure exactly what it is.

The single sign-on client I get maybe a 60% success rate on. There are times when it will use single sign-on for verification of users to access Internet resources. It still doesn't always catch the user. The user gets sent to the web login. Even though the single sign-on is helping, it doesn't always work.

I would like to see a better single sign-on performance. I'd like to see a more streamlined way of managing your licensing as well.

I've been using the solution for eight months.

There are no issues with stability. It's a very stable system and you almost never have serious problems for any reason. It's only when you do an upgrade that you have to restart. Stability-wise, for the on-premise solution, I'd give it 4 stars.

Once you've bought the specific version, you are locked into the limitations of that plan. You can't exceed the number of VPNs, connections, etc. There's no way to increase that capacity, per se. You do have options where you can increase the port count and so on. However, in terms of scalability, you have to buy the capacity you require.

On the system I have now, it's not fully populated, but we have about 100 users. The plan is to eventually support about 1,400 users.

I don't use the solution's technical support. I typically just use the documentation. There are lots of guides and videos available. In most cases, I search the guide. There's a step-by-step guide to deploy so I don't have to contact technical support.

The initial setup isn't hard, but it can be tricky. Since I've been using several Sophos devices, I now find it's fairly simple. I get the deployment done in two hours, including integration. For others, it may take about a day to get everything done.

There's almost no maintenance. There's really only the requirements of adding users and populating VPN connections. One person does that on a part-time basis.

I handled the implementation myself.

We do see an ROI. It would be the cost of the support. If I had to hire a CCNP in Nigeria, I would be paying about $10,000 per annum for a CCNP minimum. For a less experienced person, I can get for about $6,000. I am probably saving about $4,000 a year in personnel costs from going with the XG rather than the ASA.

We are paying about $1,500 yearly for the Enterprise Plus. As far as I know, there aren't costs above this standard fee.

We evaluated Cisco ASA as well as the FortiGate before ultimately choosing Sophos.

I chose Sophos over FortiGate because I'd already had experience with Cyberoam and it was a fairly similar migration in terms of configuration from the UTM over. But in terms of features and capabilities, I think FortiGate is pretty similar to the Sophos. Cisco ASA I choose not to go with because it's much harder to configure. I also needed to be able to have someone other than myself manage it and not need to have someone with CCNP sitting down just to add VPN users etc. I felt that the Sophos solution was a better option because it gave me all the functionality of the ASA, but it's much easier to manage.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

We definitely plan to increase the usage and also add high variability too. Right now, it is the main internet gateway and firewall for my network.

We're using both Sophos XG and Sophos UTM.

I would warn those considering implementation that, once you've got it, you're stuck with it. You can't really increase the capacity very much beyond what you have. It's always good to have the expertise available to take care of the box because even though it's a lot easier than the Cisco ASA, you still need someone that has a little expertise in managing it.

You can get very good performance without spending all of your money and without having to send a lot of high-end techs in-house to monitor processes.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Ibrahim El Sayed - PeerSpot reviewer
Network & Hardware Administrator at Nile Projects & Trading Co.
Secure and stable tunnels with web filtering and application control give us confidence in our security
  • "It gives me a very good, stable connection in all tunnels."
  • "I would like to have remote access to clients using a static IP for a certain period of time."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for connecting site-to-site and client-to-site VPN for two protocols, IPsec and SSL VPN. We use encrypted tunnels to achieve fully secure connectivity between sites and clients.

It gives me a very good, stable connection in all tunnels.

How has it helped my organization?

Of course, it improves my organization to achieve fully secure connectivity between sites and clients.

It has a good web filtering database and a good application control database in addition to intrusion prevention. Together, these give me confidence in our security.

What is most valuable?

All of the features in this solution are good. The most valuable is the IPsec VPN tunneling and SSL VPN tunneling, both site-to-site and client-to-site.

The log viewer is extremely helpful for analyzing all incoming and outgoing traffic.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have remote access to clients using a static IP for a certain period of time. This would allow me to log in to any client, remotely, with a known and fixed IP address.

We have been using this solution for five years.

This is the first solution that we implemented.

It's a suitable price and license.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

Sherif Fouad - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers a high level of visibility of what's happening on your network or on your client machines
  • "Sophos XG has cybersecurity. It integrates with the antivirus software."
  • "The only issue that Sophos XG now needs to improve is the product's reporting capability."

What is our primary use case?

I use Sophos XG as a content filtering, web filtering, and application filtering utility, as well as to integrate with the endpoint antivirus software.

I have Sophos Endpoint Antivirus installed on the user machines as well, i.e. the Central Cloud Management version. That's our main use.

Sophos XG has cybersecurity. It integrates with the antivirus software.

How has it helped my organization?

I have a serious problem because our offices are scattered around the world in very remote areas. We cannot deploy proper branch office guides, active directory sites, and software services.

It is impossible to apply any sort of group policy on the user machines, which makes it very hard to control issues like USB ports, access to cameras, or access to any preferences on the user machines.

With the integration between Sophos UTM and the installed endpoint antivirus, you can now manage all those features from your cloud subscription. You can allow and block whatever you want from the cloud.

You can allow whatever USB ports you want for specific devices with specific IDs, serial numbers or modems. The machine gets updated online or updated from the antivirus settings, i.e. the UTM unit itself.

The UTM unit itself has a cache update on it. Once the clients behind the UTM get updated, they get access or they get denied access to the hardware resources they are applying for. This is a major benefit for us.

What is most valuable?

The application filters available with Sophos XG are brilliant. The sandboxing and the way the firewall or the UTM integrates with the installed endpoint antivirus clients on the user machines is brilliant. You get the chance to isolate network threats before they become active or become distributed on your network.

With the cloud version of Sophos XG, you get the proper visibility of your network and the user machines. With the cloud versions of the antivirus, i.e. the cloud central management of the antivirus, you get high visibility.

With the application between the installed Sophos UTM, you get a high level of visibility of what's happening on your network or on your client machines. You get protected against threats. You get proper visibility. That solves a major issue.

What needs improvement?

There was a big issue with the Cyberoam and with the SG units as well, i.e. the previous Sophos UTM model. With Sophos XG, you get the chance to block what sites operate on SSL or that operate with HTTPS, without the need of extracting and distributing a certificate.

On older Cyberoam and Sophos SG old versions, if you wanted to block something like YouTube or Facebook or any other websites that operate with HTTPS, you had to extract the certificate. Then you had to export that certificate. Then you had to re-import that certificate in all the user browsers.

The only problem was if you needed to use an active directory where those certificates would be automatically thrown into the user browsers once they logged in to the domain.

For a scenario like mine where you don't have a group policy, it is a disaster and ends up with you setting the rules to block certain websites with HTTPS on the firewall, even while they are not being blocked so that the user will still have access to them. This problem is now 100% sorted out with Sophos XG.

Now you can actually block whatever you want, whether it's using HTTPS or HTTP keys from the firewall without the need for extracting certificates. That's a major improvement. That problem with the HTTPS settings was a huge issue.

I know other people must be enjoying that it's sorted out now. It was a serious and major issue for Sophos. The only issue that Sophos XG now needs to improve is the product's reporting capabilities.

I have used Sophos XG for over 10 years.

Sophos XG is stable enough for our requirements.

We have about 450 Sophos XG users currently using this edition and 300 for the antivirus platform installed on the machines, plus in-service, around 310. We also have around 15 additional units deployed around the world.

I'll give Sophos XG technical support an eight out of ten for their service.

I used Cyberoam previously, although I always used it as a UTM only. What made me move to Sophos is that they were acquired, i.e. they acquired Cyberoam to start with the development. At that time the software had many features that were not available with FortiGate, in terms of content filtering, and it was an appliance when Websense was the software to be installed on a server.

There was a problem with our operating system with some of the updates, i.e. with the operating system or the hardware. I moved from Websense to Cyberoam because it wasn't applying properly.

The initial setup is definitely something different than the old Cyberoam and it's a bit complex. If you've been dealing with UTMs and you understand the concept, it is still complex but then I find it enjoyable.

Sophos XG is not hard to configure. Too much detail is always good.

I required three or four hours for the initial setup. One day for the testing, fine-tuning, optimizing, and categorizing. Three days for the first unit with the initial setup and the customization including testing. Finally, three days for testing all the rules, the QA, and then putting everything live.

I used to work for an integrator myself years ago, as well as my team. We are all trained. We are all professional in what we are doing. No external help was used.

Our ROI is 100%. I've got the ransomware attacks being blocked. I've got the users' consumed bandwidth by using proxy bypasses and all sorts of applications being blocked now.

It's saving on the companies and the employees working hours and time. It's saving on minimizing virus infections and applications that the users like to use on their machines in order to bypass blocking USB ports or cameras.

It is saving the company money by saving bandwidth and saving employees time by not allowing them to access time-wasting websites.

We have the annual license for Sophos XG. It all depends on what you would like to have in the package that you are purchasing.

I evaluated FortiGate but wasn't happy with it. I evaluated another group called WatchGuard. WatchGuard has good features in it, but it's for a smaller business scale than the Sophos clients.

I evaluated Cisco ASA or PIX but now, I use Sophos XG as the firewall. I have confidence in their unit. Before Cyberoam and Sophos, I used FortiGate and Websense for our UTM requirements.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend that everyone should have a proper understanding of new network requirements and then enjoy it. Sophos XG is definitely a good product.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give Sophos XG an eight.

Kolanji Selvaraj - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Consultant at Crotus
Email security features are good, but the technical support needs improvement
  • "We have found that the simplicity of the XG 210 is its most valuable feature."
  • "When I call, I have to wait at least one to two hours to reach them."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to act as the main broadband device in our data center. The XG 210 model is being used for a hospitality solution.

How has it helped my organization?

The main improvement for us is with our email. The email options and email security features are good.

What is most valuable?

We have found that the simplicity of the XG 210 is its most valuable feature. There are a lot of options available for the default firewall rules, such as email and web, that are used to secure the network.

I like all of the options, but the most important thing is that it is easy to understand how to configure everything, compared to other firewalls.

What needs improvement?

We are having a lot of issues with conflicts and user sessions, and Sophos has suggested that we change the device to the XG 400.

Aside from these issues with scalability, the email security features are good, but there are not many options. We would like to know why an email is being blocked, and how we can allow delivery. It does not keep emails in the queue for delivery. It can only log whether it is delivered or not delivered. If I need more details then I have to log in using SSH to get that information.

When an email comes in from the outside it is detected. When we check the log it only tells us that it is not delivered. We would like to create an exception, but there are not many options available for this. For example, a domain space is not allowed. Only the user name can be used to do that. We need a domain-based exception for email.

Next, the XG 210 is easy to configure, but when we are looking for more details then we can only get this information through SSH. It is quite difficult. If we can get all of those details then it would help us to understand, so this needs to be improved.

There are a lot of options and it gets confusing sometimes. If they can give limited options, with more information, then it would be good for the large sites.

Less than one year.

The product is stable, but by stable, I mean that we still have issues. The issues are more technical, which is why they suggest that we change the device to fix the problems.

Our main data center has more than seventy servers that host a web server and internal applications. This is where we use the XG 400.

We have installed the XG 210 model at a smaller data center. We have between three and four hundred users at the most. However, because we have more than three hundred sessions, the vendor has suggested that we change to the XG 400. We do not yet know if this will fix our problem.

At our remote sites, we use the XG 135 model, and we do not have many issues.

I am not sure why Sophos suggested using the XG 210 model after doing a site check, but we are facing issues and they suggested that we replace the model.

When I call, I have to wait for at least one to two hours to reach them. Sometimes they will pick up the call immediately, but most of the time they will not. I usually have to wait one hour before they pick up the phone.

When a ticket is created we have to wait three days before getting a reply from them. When they create a ticket for a critical issue, the response is delayed. This is a new device, and we expect support from Sophos. At least the partner should support the product, but the partners are always looking for money. Even if they deploy the device, for example, the XG 450, then they only offer support for one day. After that, there is no support.

We have been using the Sophos XG 135 model at our remote sites and it works.

This year we deployed the XG 210 model at our data center, but prior to this we used Barracuda. We switched because Barracuda is too expensive. The options are very limited because you have to pay for each additional option. Each one represents a different service, like ADP (Active DDoS Prevention) or firewall. In contrast, Sophos is only a single payment, so we switched even though we lost some options that we liked.

The initial setup is very easy.

Our deployment took only two to three days. The problem is that we had a lot of issues, especially with the email. The SMTP did not work, so I could not continue with the deployment. It took between fifteen and twenty days to resolve this. I do not know what they did to fix it, but we were delayed between twenty-five days and a month.

We had contacted the Sophos partner for help, but they were not able to fix our issue. After the problem was resolved I re-initiated the deployment. Only one staff member is required to maintain the solution.

Even when you purchase the product from Sophos, they ask for a separate contract for support which is on an hourly basis.

For licensing the XG 210, we paid approximately $3000 for three years. There are no additional fees on top of this.

Other than the Barracuda and the Sophos models, I did not evaluate other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Because of the problems that we are having, I cannot recommend this solution to anyone at this time.

I would rate this solution five out of ten.

SherifFouad - PeerSpot reviewer
ICT Manager at Capital Limited
Gives us customizable policies, modifiable templates, and customized rules for single users
  • "It has a very friendly interface like the Cyberoam iNG units, it has customizable policies, it has proper templates that you can even modify, and you can customize the rules, down to each single user."
  • "The dashboard is customizable as well. It gives you the feature of including what you need to see as soon as you open the dashboard and to remove the non-necessary stuff, which varies from one organization to the next and from one IT manager to the next. And it has a wide variety of reports as well, template and customizable reports."
  • "Let's say I set up a rule to block users from accessing YouTube or Facebook. The rule will only block the HTTP traffic, which is non-secure traffic... The problem comes when you are trying to block, or allow, similar traffic that uses HTTPS. You have to create a certificate and import it into the users' web browsers, whatever they are using... The problem occurs when you're dealing with roaming users who use laptops and have to move between different sites that have different types of policies applied to them. You have to import all sorts of certificates from each site into their browser. Doing so will most probably conflict with something else that is totally irrelevant and cause a problem."
  • "Since Sophos took over Cyberoam, the online technical library and support library have become super messy. To get a piece of information is becoming a nightmare. They need to reorganize the online technical support and technical library."

What is our primary use case?

It's being used as a UTM, no firewalling. So it acts as a bridge. It doesn't provide the IP services, it doesn't provide DNS, it doesn't provide DHCP services, and it doesn't operate as a router or a point of mapping. It's only being used for filtering: Web and application filtering, as well as antivirus. I usually disable the anti-spam on all those units, because I have a gateway anti-spam server in place.

What is most valuable?

The web and application filters, as well as the quality of service. It has a very friendly interface like the Cyberoam iNG units, it has customizable policies, it has proper templates that you can even modify, and you can customize the rules, down to each single user.

It gives flexibility in the rules and the filters that you apply, based on, for example, the level of usage and the managerial level, etc. It's highly customizable.

What needs improvement?

The major problem that I am facing, and I know that others are facing as well, is with the HTTPS classic, in general, or any classic that works on Secure Socket Layers. Let's say I set up a rule to block users from accessing YouTube or Facebook. The rule will only block the HTTP traffic, which is non-secure traffic. But most websites right now, most of the reputable web services providers, for extra security for their own web servers and for the user's security, provide a connection over Secure Socket Layer.

The problem comes when you are trying to block, or allow, similar traffic that uses HTTPS. You have to create a certificate and import it into the users' web browsers, whatever they are using. Now, this is not a problem when you're dealing with users stationed and fixed in a specific site or location. They are using desktops, they will never take the desktops and go home with them, nor will they ever take the desktops and travel to another country, or another site with it. The problem occurs when you're dealing with roaming users who use laptops and have to move between different sites that have different types of policies applied to them. You have to import all sorts of certificates from each site into their browser. Doing so will most probably conflict with something else that is totally irrelevant and cause a problem.

A way around this is if you are using authentication with Active Directory. But most of the time, especially if you're operating in a remote site with a very slow internet connection, if it's available in the first place, authentication with Active Directory is impossible.

So it needs an easier way to apply HTTPS filters, without importing certificates into users' browsers and without the need for using an Active Directory. There must be a way around it. There are workarounds. But with applied workarounds, it will work out once, it won't work out properly 10 other times. That is my only request.

Also, since Sophos took over Cyberoam, the online technical library and support library have become super messy. To get a piece of information is becoming a nightmare. They need to reorganize the online technical support and technical library. The easiest way to overcome this is to look at how the Cyberoam online technical library was structured and to build the Sophos technical library the same way. It is messy, totally unorganized, time-wasting. Instead of getting what you want in five minutes it takes half an hour.

Stability is good. I was so happy with the Cyberoam iNG unit, and I think the Sophos XG series is exactly the same as the Cyberoam iNG unit. It's a very good unit for a smaller or medium business. It's very stable and it takes overload easily, so it can add to the throughput. It has versatility, it will support extra users, it will support extra bandwidth, to a limit, and it keeps on working as a monster. I have barely replaced any of those units through the years.

Scalability is brilliant.

I usually deal with one of the major partners in Egypt. The name is Gateworx. I've been dealing with those guys since my previous company, back to 2002. Even when we're buying devices that will be used in other countries outside of Egypt, we get them from them.

They provide outstanding technical support and they provide outstanding pre-sales services. If I require a device to be delivered to a country outside of Egypt, they contact the partner directly and they set up everything, and I get the hardware delivered. They are outstanding.

This is one of the major reasons we didn't look at another UTM or firewall through the years. These guys were a proper representative of Sophos and Cyberoam.

I've used heaps of them through the years. I've used Fortigate, which is now Fortinet. I've used Websense, they issued something like that years ago. ISS issued something like that years ago.

Sophos UTM, along with Cyberoam UTM, since they are both the same - it's only a different interface and a different hardware look - they provide the best value for the money. You get the best features for the best cost. They are the best, to a certain limit for a certain usage. I never use any of those units as a firewall. What I usually do is, I have an edge firewall responsible for routing, switching, and firewalling. And then I deploy the UTM behind it, only for filtering.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor include getting the best features that you can get for an equivalent cost, so you're paying for what you're getting. You don't want to be paying for the name or the brand or the reputation of it. Also important are pre-sales services and "1000-percent" technical support services, in the environment and the remote areas we operate in, the warranty services as well.

The setup is straightforward. But what could be a straightforward setup for me might be complex for others. It depends on your level of experience, the training that you got, and the engagements.

They have a setup wizard, and I have had heaps of technicians, over the years to set it up, even initially.

I was looking at either Cyberoam iNG or Sophos XG.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would vary based on your requirements. If you have a dedicated edge firewall, like Cisco ASA, you should get Cyberoam iNG and Sophos XG. They will do the job brilliantly. They will take the load, they will do a fantastic job.

If you are looking at units that will do both jobs - being an edge firewall and a UTM at the same time - with routing features, if you are going with Cyberoam and Sophos XG, I'd always recommend that you buy a higher model than what will meet exactly their requirements. So let's say that I'm looking at features that could be fulfilled with an XG 125 or 115, but I want to use the same unit as a firewall. I'd step up and buy an XG 135. You will always need those extra machine resources when you're providing routing, switching, and firewalling as well. Both of those products provide the best support ever, for the money being paid.

I rate it at eight out of 10. It's not higher because of the HTTPS issue that I told you about. That's my major issue. That's a super-disastrous issue that, unfortunately, cannot be solved easily.

And, sometimes we'll get a specific detailed report, stressing a certain aspect and it's not straightforward. I'll be able to do it, but then I'll have to combine or merge more than one, two, or three reports to get the results that I want. So more specific reports would be good. But then, again, there is a work-around by customizing the reports you want and then getting several reports and comparing them together. It's workable. My only issue is trying to save time, administration time is an issue for us.

But other than that, I'm happy. The product is brilliant, support is brilliant.

it_user846270 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior IT Infrastructure Solutions Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Cloud portal allows me to manage firewall from any location; interface is user-friendly
  • "Valuable features include: the ease of setting up the VPN connection; the fact they have the cloud management option, so I can manage the firewall on a cloud platform from anywhere I am; the user interface is very user-friendly, so it's very easy for the administrator to make any policy changes."
  • "I would like the update process to be easier, to update the firmware of the boxes. I think it's much better automatically than having to do it manually: Download the file, do network discovery. I they can make the update process much more automatic that would help."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for VPN connectivity with remote sites, as well as general IPS and IDS.

It's a satisfactory solution so far, no problems. It's very easy to use, and we have technical support for any issues, so it's quite good.

How has it helped my organization?

It's cost-effective. We are not that big a company. It gives us the features that we need.

What is most valuable?

• The ease of setting up the VPN connection.
  • The fact they have the cloud management option, I can manage it on a cloud platform. So anywhere I am, I can always manage the firewall.
  • The user interface is very user-friendly, so it's very easy for the administrator to make any policy changes.

What needs improvement?

I would like the update process to be easier, to update the firmware of the boxes. I think it's much better automatically than having to do it manually: Download the file, do network discovery. If they can make the update process much more automatic that would help.

The stability, so far, is actually quite good. I think the only issue we have had is some flapping on the connection, but it was a bug. The support is quite good, so the issue was resolved in no time at all. We have not had many issues at all. It's been working fine.

I don't think this applies in our own case because we just bought the medium-range box, so it's adequate for our needs.

It's very good, very responsive, and they resolve our issues in no time at all.

We were previously using a different solution, a Cisco ASA firewall, but it was not a next-generation of firewall, next-generation meaning it can do unified threat management. We wanted a new solution that would also give us next-generation features, like anti-malware and end-point management and the like. That informed our choice of Sophos.

When selecting a vendor, the stability of the solution and then the technical support are very important. Also, the cost-to-reward ratio, the value we get from the product compared to what we pay for it. In addition, ease of management; how easy is it to manage? If it's too complex to manage it's a problem because you don't want to spend too much time managing it.

It was completely straightforward, but our internal network is not that complex.

We evaluated Sophos vs Fortinet and Sophos vs Cisco

The cost of Sophos was more competitive compared to the rest. We also considered the management and it was easier to manage than the rest. That's how we came to our conclusion.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of 10. I don't rate it "perfect" because it can always improve. But the features that come along with Sophos are very, very extensive. It gives me so many options, the ability to remotely manage my firewall from anywhere, given the cloud portal. The solution hasn't given us too many problems at all, and even when we did have an issue, it was resolved.

My advice is to take advantage of the trials, they have a trial on their website where you can see how the cloud management works; you can have a free account for one month and play around with it and see how easy it is to manage. That way you can know if it can handle the services you are going to require. Take advantage of training on their website as well. Check the industry ratings, they are pretty highly rated.

MelvynLeeNetwork Cooperations at ESTRO

Good advice. Thanks. I am currently coparing the Sophos XG125 against the Fortigate 60E. Both close on performance and facilities but I suspect Sophos is going to be cheaper.

Hesham Sakr - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Infrastructure & Security Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Firmware flexibility allows us to run multiple rules with different configurations
  • "The most valuable feature, according to the setup we have at our work place here, is the flexibility of the system or the firmware that's running the appliance. It's so flexible, performing multiple rules with different configurations. According to the set up here, we need to implement several firewalls with different access levels, because we have a variety of users. For this requirement, it's very flexible and very easy to use."
  • "It is performing well. However, the only challenges that we are facing are the effectiveness with blocking the proxy and tuneling applications, aside from proxy and similar applications. So the application filter on the product is not really performing 100%. Every now and then there are some updates that are happening on such applications, and it takes time until it gets the appropriate updates and becomes capable of capturing such applications and blocking them. A new feature I would really like to see would be some sort of an enhanced application filter with greater efficiency when it comes to the applications that can bypass firewall policies. These applications are really a nightmare. Once they are on the network and not detected, or the appliance is not really successful in capturing them and unblocking them, the bandwidth gets wasted all the time."
  • "Scalability it is a bit limited. We did a sizing exercise before the purchase. But that was just to fit our current needs. There was no room for having an option to upgrade the device. The only option that we have if we are grow in the near future, is to go for another model with higher specs, which is actually more expensive. In other words it doesn't have that modularity ."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It is performing well. However, the only challenges that we are facing are the effectiveness with blocking the proxy and tuneling applications, aside from  proxy and similar applications. So the application filter on the product is not really performing 100%. Every now and then there are some updates that are happening on such applications, and it takes time until it gets the appropriate updates and becomes capable of capturing such applications and blocking them.

It's stable. So far we haven't experienced any instability issues with.

As for scalability, I think it is a bit limited. We did a sizing exercise before the purchase. But that was just to fit our current needs. There was no room for having an option to upgrade the device. The only option that we have if we are grow in the near future, is to go for another model with higher specs, which is actually more expensive. In other words it doesn't have that modularity feature.

From time to time I use technical support provided by the seller and sometimes I use the online support, but not that much actually. It has only been for a very few issues. And the support I have received is not bad.

Before Sophos there was mix of various legacy solutions that were not really considered firewall grade. The only specific thing that was used was a software-based firewall, but it was used on a very limited scale and only temporarily.

It was very straightforward.

The other vendors on the list were Fortinet and Palo Alto. Although it was really great with outstanding features, Palo Alto was far beyond our budget. And as for Fortinet, I was not really happy with the ease of use of the firewall and the features that were coming with it. Sophos was better compared to Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to selecting a vendor I think the most important thing would be the level of support and how fast they can respond in critical cases.

I would rate Sophos at eight out of 10. I cannot give it the best rating because there are the issues that I mentioned, and I believe there are other products on the market that are much better, like Palo Alto. And there is another product that I've come across recently, which is called Clavister. It's a Swedish product, if I'm not mistaken. They are current with features and have more stability. So for Sophos, it would be the appropriate rating for the time being, unless they come up with some new features and add some enhancements.

There is no straightforward advice in this case because there are many factors that may limit the person who wants the solution. Budget is an issue. If you don't have any budget limitations I would recommend going for Palo Alto. If not, consider Sophos or Clavister.

it_user431136 - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant Information Technology at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Efficiently protects against malware attacks, gives visibility into ports, apps, and websites
  • "My clients gain efficiency in protecting against attacks from malware such as ransomware and hacker attacks. It also provides them efficient internet access control, and full visibility of ports, applications, and websites."
  • "Excellent product, meets most of the security needs of companies of various sizes. You can buy it without fear."
  • "It could offer a DNS Filter for blocking botnet networks."

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• IPS
  • Very efficient
  • Web Filter
  • Captive Portal with Voucher and Application Control.

What needs improvement?

It could offer other important functions such as a DNS Filter for blocking botnet networks.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

Satisfactory.

I still use Fortigate, also Sophos UTM. As I'm a solution consultant, I have different clients where each solution fits the environment.

Simple and easy.

Mr with 51-200 employees
The pricing is very competitive in the market and the support is awesome

What is most valuable?

1. Internet security, where we have one single point of console; where I can manage my endpoint and my gateway.
  2. Any messages coming in, I am getting the intermission immediately.
  3. If my endpoint is getting infected, I get to know.
  4. If my file is getting infected, I get to know from a single pane point of view.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has been upgraded, and one of the features we were looking for has been incorporated into the newer version. It has allowed me to customize for my needs as well.

The past six months.

Nothing. No issues. It is quite stable.

This is a little bit of a challenge. Scalability is one issue with the hardware device and hardware files. Any kind of hardware file which has been delivered has been a challenge.

Sophos is being preferred only because of their technical support. The tech support there is very good. It is a five-star support system that they have there.

Our previous solution was Check Point. I switched to Sophos just because of the pricing issue.

It is very user-friendly to set up. Very straightforward.

Pricing is very competitive in the market.

Only Check Point. That was the one product which I evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

The support is awesome. QA is very simple, and the administration is very straightforward.

MelvynLeeNetwork Cooperations at ESTRO

Good to know the support is dependable. Thanks Vikas.

Sean Gambill - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead NOC Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
Has an intuitive interface. Easy to look at the logs and troubleshoot issues.

What is most valuable?

For one, its ease of use is the most valuable feature. It's very easy to look at the logs and troubleshoot issues as they arise. Things just make sense and it is a very intuitive interface.

How has it helped my organization?

It is easier to use than Cisco ASA, so it has reduced our SLAs by a considerable margin.

What needs improvement?

The VPN and central management need to be improved, but that's being nit-picky.

The IPsec VPNs are a little on the buggy side and you sometimes have to jump through hoops to get it to work. When I looked at them last, they were still in development for the centralized management of the firewalls, so when I saw it, it was very much in its infancy.

One more thing to add to what they can improve is the firewall policy presentation, they have their own special way of doing it which takes time for some to get used to, especially if you’re used to Cisco ASA.

I have used this solution for about a year.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues, it is very scalable.

I would rate the technical support a 10/10; they are very professional. I know a couple of those guys over there on a first name basis.

Previously, we were using another solution. However, we switched as we needed to upgrade our infrastructure.

The setup was pretty straightforward. They had someone come in, walk us through it and train us on the platform.

What other advice do I have?

Get the professional support contract; it is well-worth it and those guys know their product very very well.

It is a very solid product, easy to use and implement.

MelvynLeeNetwork Cooperations at ESTRO

Thanks Sean, a very informative review. I am seriously considering the XG125 but slightly concerned about the VPN aspect as VPNs are used predominantly in our network. Also considering the Fortigate 60E.

Danyllo Cabral - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Project Consultant at a tech services company
Very intuitive and easy-to-use interface making it much easier to setup access and business rules

What is most valuable?

• URL Filtering: because of the importance of controlling what and individual might access from the organization’s network. Sophos XG has 90+ categories, providing a level of granularity that eliminates the need to create customized categories.
  • IPS (Intrusion Prevention System): because of the importance of preventing hackers from using exploits and other mechanisms that might compromise the network
  • Anti-malware: Sophos XG comes with two anti-malware engines: its own and Avira, making the UTM more effective at catching malicious code.
  • Control Center: an interface crammed with the most vital information like security issues, appliance performance, and Internet link status.

How has it helped my organization?

With a very intuitive and easy-to-use interface, it made it much easier to setup access and business rules, VPNs and to identify issues like Internet link outages and security issues.

What needs improvement?

Sophos XG lacks link load balancing options like ratio and spill over, both useful in some scenarios.

I also think they might consider improving the RAM of some of the appliances, since there are processes that are very memory intensive.

Lastly, I would say packet monitor is another area for improvement as it lacks capabilities like exporting the capture from inside the GUI tool.

A year and a half.

Yes, on the SFOS Version 15, I had to upgrade the firmware of an appliance since it had a problem with the JAMVM process (an apparently known issue in which that process consumes almost all of the CPU resources).

I would say that Sophos Brazil has an excellent support team.

It was very straightforward. And I credit that to the great job Sophos did on its OS interface, providing different ways of accessing the same option, hiding some of the complexities of a firewall system, and deploying it with many pre-built policies, objects and rules that for most of the environments makes it unnecessary to spend hours tuning the system.

Sophos is clearly trying to position itself as the market leader in the UTM niche. One way they are doing this is by having an aggressive pricing policy and this makes it a good moment to start using their products.

Yes, FortiGate.

What other advice do I have?

Try to have the help of a Sophos Partner for the correct sizing and purchasing of an adequate licensing bundle.

In addition, I would recommend having a PoC in place in order to make sure that the solution is what the organization needs.

It is important to notice that the XG is available for a 30 days free trial and that there are virtual appliances available for the main virtualization platforms on the market.

it_user704991 - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer with 51-200 employees
​The product has much potential to be one of the best on the market according to bang for bucks. But look critically to the features you want and the features that are available with this product.

What is most valuable?

Sophos RED, because this makes it very easy to deploy new sites, without the need of static IP addresses and a completely new firewall setup. The rule-based use is the same as if it were internal to the central site.

Web Protection, because this feature implements rules on user/group basis and this is done on the firewall rules itself. So it is easy to check.

Sophos Sandstorm, because it implements sandboxing so downloaded files are checked by hash or checked by unpacking it in within the Sophos Cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

With its central management console, it implements an intuitive management console with change tracking. So it’s easy to see who has made changes and to keep track of changes.

What needs improvement?

Email Protection has room for improvement. It doesn’t have an intuitive rule base. I would much like it to be like the Sophos UTM software. The level of detail in the settings is much too low.

I have been personally using this product for almost two years now.

In our business, we have been using the product alongside the Sophos SG for more than a year now.

The first firmware versions were not that stable and had a lot of bugs in it. From Version SF 16 and above, the stability has improved a lot.

We didn’t encounter any issues with scalability as of yet.

Technical support, I would rate it as a six, because the technical expertise level from this product is below the level I’m used to. Also, the response times have increased since the launch of Sophos XG.

We used the Sophos UTM software. We did switch for some customers to the Sophos XG solution because of the customer’s needs.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. The only downside is that a Sophos Account is necessary to activate the box. It has an intuitive setup to take care of the basic settings needed to connect to the internet.

Pricing of the hardware box is the same as Sophos UTM, but the licenses are a little more expensive. The most used license is the Enterprise Guard, it implements Network Protection and Web Protection in a bundle with support.

We evaluate other options for our customers constantly. We select the product which is best suited to the situation. We evaluate Sophos UTM, Sophos XG, and Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

The product has much potential to be one of the best on the market according to bang for bucks. But look critically to the features you want and the features that are available with this product. Don’t select this product just yet for email filtering, because it is underdeveloped.

CEO at Makros SPA
It allow us to see literally everything when it comes to traffic in a very easy and intuitive way.

Valuable Features:

• Web and Application filter
  • Wireless integration
  • Email protection with encryption
  • Reporting and Dashboards

Improvements to My Organization:

Mostly it's related to visibility as this platform allow us to see literally everything when it comes to traffic in a very easy and intuitive way.

Room for Improvement:

I would like to see the possibility to add or block some content directly from the log interface or the live view of the interface so that if I see that an IP address is consuming a lot of bandwidth, I can right click on it and set some kind of policy. Everything else its perfect.

Deployment Issues:

There was no issue with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

There has been no issue with the stability.

Scalability Issues:

There have been no issues scaling it to our needs.

Other Advice:

Contact a good partner with experience and follow the online KB for doubts. its almost everything there

Download our free Sophos XG Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022