IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Information Systems Coordinator at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Good ransomware security with an easy initial setup and good scalability potential
  • "The initial setup is simple."
  • "It's a challenge to do system maintenance work on a notebook. You always have to disable Sophos first."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as endpoint protection as well as for endpoint detection and response. It's like an EDR. It's basically used to prevent ransomware.

How has it helped my organization?

I would say that it's difficult to really say how it's improved our organization. We had never actually been hit by a ransomware attack prior to installing Sophos and never had Sophos tell us that we're experiencing one. That said, it's very important to be protected. Getting attacked would be a disaster.

What is most valuable?

We were looking for something that could sense ransomware attempts, to encrypt files, and cut off and reverse attacks as well as alert us to issues. That's what the Intercept X is designed to do. It's very good at security and protection. It offers very good reports. The initial setup is simple. The biggest feature that's on the server version that we're using, the EDR, is the ability to push data on threats that it's seeing over to another management platform, like a managed detection response service. It's nice that it's possible to do this and we don't have to pay so much attention to the alerts. They can for us.

What needs improvement?

It's a challenge to do system maintenance work on a notebook. You always have to disable Sophos first. Otherwise, it thinks you're a virus. It would be ideal if there was some sort of setting where you could warn the system it's just you in there doing routine maintenance.
Sophos Intercept X
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Sophos Intercept X. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution over the last couple of years. However, I haven't used the product too heavily.

The stability is relatively good. We've had a few false alarms, however, there's nothing major that's happened so far. It seems free of bugs and glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's good.

I haven't personally tried to scale anything. It's probably pretty scalable because you don't have an appliance. Appliances have limitations as they have a set size or capacity. It is a cloud-based console, therefore it can probably scale pretty well. We have 80 people in our organization and everybody uses the product.

I'd rate technical support pretty high. I'd give them an eight out of ten. They're helpful. They are knowledgeable and responsive. We've been satisfied with the level of attention we get when we need them.

We didn't have anything previously for anti-ransomware. We just had the Kaspersky antivirus. However, it wasn't able to detect ransomware specifically. Therefore, we put Sophos Intercept X on to do that.

We've found the initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not overly complex. We didn't have trouble setting everything up.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution. We've got Sophos Intercept X on the notebook computers along with Kaspersky and then on the servers it's only Sophos EDR, which has both antivirus and Intercept X. All are bundled together. The console's on the cloud and that's just installed on the clients, however, they all communicate with a self-hosted JIRA cloud console. I'd advise those considering the solution to probably just go with the antivirus portion as well. That way, you've got it all under one console. We're juggling two consoles, Kaspersky and Sophos. It would be easier if everything was under one. ON a scale from one to ten, I'd rate this product at a nine. We've been very happy with it.

Other
Muzamil Yakub - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Executive Officer at Infoview Limited
Beneficial policy management, automatic endpoint updates, simple installation
  • "Sophos Intercept X is a very effective solution and its being cloud-based is a benefit. Wherever my users are, I can apply policies to them. In the era of mobility, when users are out of the office or they're in different locations, it doesn't matter."
  • "From the management side, we receive detailed information. Sophos has many features, such as Threat Hunting but that comes with the XDR version of the solution. There's Sophos Intercept X and then there's Sophos Intercept X with XDR technology. We bought the XDR and then now the MTR, Managed Threat Response version available too. They have different packages for clients which gives them different options to pick from. If Sophos could combine more features into one package it would be beneficial."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Sophos Intercept X for endpoint protection.

What is most valuable?

Sophos Intercept X is a very effective solution and its being cloud-based is a benefit. Wherever my users are, I can apply policies to them. In the era of mobility, when users are out of the office or they're in different locations, it doesn't matter.

Whenever a user gets infected, as an admin, we get notified. We have many options to pick from, the ability to send policies to the endpoints is a very good feature that they have.

Whenever there is an update all the agents on the end-users systems automatically update.

We have the option of caching updates on the network, which allows us to save on bandwidth. For example, if we have 100 people in the office, we can deploy an internal caching server or a message link server, so not all computers need a connection to Sophos onto the cloud.

Sophos Intercept X integrates with their other solution very well, such as the XG Firewall. The feature is called Synchronized Security.

What needs improvement?

From the management side, we receive detailed information. Sophos has many features, such as Threat Hunting but that comes with the XDR version of the solution. There's Sophos Intercept X and then there's Sophos Intercept X with XDR technology. We bought the XDR and then now the MTR, Managed Threat Response version available too. They have different packages for clients which gives them different options to pick from. If Sophos could combine more features into one package it would be beneficial.

I have been using Sophos Intercept X for approximately five years.

Sophos Intercept X is highly stable.

I have found Sophos Intercept X to be scalable.

We have approximately 40 clients using this solution.

I'm a Sophos certified architect to myself, and as a partner, from the vendor, we have excellent support. We have not had a problem with the technical support, they are always available for communication, such as online chat or on-call.

We have used Kaspersky, ESET, Bitdefender, and Symantec solutions.

The installation is very easy. If someone is not on the network, you can send them an invite by email and they would only need to install the agent, and everything will work perfectly.

The time the installation takes depends on the internet connection. Sometimes it takes only five minutes and other times it can take up to 10 minutes. It all depends on the connection because it has to download the installer.

The end-user can install the solution themself. It is very easy. It is only a two to three-step process it is complete.

Many people are using this solution and some customers don't even have IT managers, we provide them manage services I this case.

The solution has great protection against anti-ransomware and all of the zero-day threats. The ROI is very good.

There is a license required to use this solution.

If it's a managed services provider contract that we have with the customer, then they pay monthly. Depends on the customer, what the requirements are. They can pay either monthly or annually to us, but we have to pay annually to the vendor.

Before choosing Sophos Intercept X we evaluated Kaspersky, ESET, Bitdefender, and Symantec. For some of our clients who are using the other products, now they've shifted to Sophos Intercept X.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Sophos Intercept X a ten out of ten.

Private Cloud
Sophos Intercept X
June 2022
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Founder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Cloud administration, strong ransomware protection, and firewall integration make this a standout
  • "The most valuable features are the cloud administration and the strength of the ransomware protection."
  • "There do not seem to be any limitations to the scalability of this product."
  • "The deployment is quick. It just depends on the environment and what you may be replacing."
  • "This product integrates well with Sophos firewalls and should be seriously considered by Sophos Firewall clients."
  • "The technical support is the lone sore-point when dealing with this product."

What is our primary use case?

We are a small consulting group. We are not really end-users but we sell to them. We are primarily recommending Sophos Central Intercept X as a client solution for endpoint security. They are going to be using it for the security apps, their desktops, and there is a server version as well. I would think that someone buying the server product would expect that to include endpoint security, including ransomware protection, advanced threat protection, and zero-day threat protection.

Many of our users also use Sophos firewalls and the solutions integrate with each other nicely.

What is most valuable?

I would say that the most valuable features are the cloud administration and the strength of the ransomware protection.

What needs improvement?

The one thing that I think probably needs the most attention with this product is the technical support. Some of our customers are starting to complain about that.

It is a good product, generally. I can not really give it any criticism or go on about missing or broken features. I have got nothing to say that needs improvement other than the support.

We have been recommending Sophos to users for maybe four years. The proper product name is actually Sophos Central Intercept X Advanced.

I do not know of any limitations having to do with the scalability of this product. We are a small company so the number of clients that we have is not that large. The total would be maybe around 10 clients. The number of endpoints under management for those clients that we are involved with is about 1000. I do not see that we are even close to any limitations in scaling this product with those numbers.

The one thing that needs the most attention according to our customers is the product's technical support. We do not really hear anything about the product having larger issues but there have been a few comments on the gaps in tech support.

The initial setup is probably straightforward but there are times when it could be difficult. We are about to do a project where we are going to have to replace a Symantec product. We will see how hard that is to do. The potential problems have more to do with a question of how difficult it is to remove Symantec completely than it is about installing Sophos. There is a tool from Sophos for doing a replacement. We had not used it before so we will get to see how well it works.

The deployment is quick. It just depends on the environment. If you have a lot of remote sites, that could take more time. If you got to replace something, you never know how hard it is going to be because of how another product sets down its roots. There is a point where you have to just do as well as you can and then deal with issues if any arise.

When we deploy it into client sites we are the integrators and consultants for the deployment. It deploys as you would expect and there are no surprises. Again, it could be hard to remove an existing solution.

Intercept X for endpoints is around $35 per user per year. The server version is $95 per server per year.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anybody who is using a Sophos firewall and is looking to migrate to another solution to give Intercept X the serious consideration it deserves because the Sophos firewall integrates well with the Intercept X solution and that is an advantage.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this solution as a nine-out-of-ten.

Peter Forster - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Administrator at Sechelt Indian Band
Reseller
Is easy to install and manage, and has anti-exploit protection
  • "One reason why I have stuck with Sophos is because it grabs it and deals with it, and if it's known malware, it can quarantine it or delete it."
  • "As for improvement, more notifications or emails about what to watch out for globally would be nice. For instance, information about the spread of a current phishing campaign or ransomware would be very helpful. I find that I have to dig in the back to find out what is happening on the global scene for things to be aware of."

What is our primary use case?

Sophos Intercept X is the antivirus protection of my choice and my client's choice because it does not only malware, antivirus, and Trojan protection but also anti-exploit protection. It has a quarantine process as well. It does all of the usual antivirus plus the anti-exploit and anti-ransomware processes.

What is most valuable?

I look at all my network workstations and laptops, and if any one of them has some issues with updates or receives a notification, then the server console in the cloud will send me an email as well.

I like it's user interface, cloud integration, and the GUI. It's easy to work with it with clients.

I also like Sophos Intercept X because I can install it on a computer, and if it's set for tamper proof, then nobody can uninstall the program.

What needs improvement?

As for improvement, more notifications or emails about what to watch out for globally would be nice. For instance, information about the spread of a current phishing campaign or ransomware would be very helpful. I find that I have to dig in the back to find out what is happening on the global scene for things to be aware of.

I've been working with Sophos Intercept X ever since it was released three years ago.

It is a cloud solution. The installation is local on the device, but it communicates to the cloud where the cloud server manages the reports, notifications, and licensing.

My impressions of the stability of Intercept X is that it's excellent.

The scalability is not a problem at all.

I've received really good technical support. They're amazing.

I've had experience with other antivirus programs such as Trend, Norton, and McAfee, and they just flag it and indicate that you are infected. However, Sophos has always taken care of things. This way, if my users don't know what to do with a popup, at least I know that Sophos will just grab it, quarantine it, and protect the user.

Sophos is easy to install and easy to manage, and I have had no issues with it. I've had better protection and quarantining features with Sophos Intercept X.

On a scale from one to five, where one is complex and five is easy, I'd rate the initial setup at four. This is because sometimes you'll get a popup asking you to reboot, but actually, if you've installed it a few times, you know that you have to reboot it after the installation. So, there are a couple of popups that don't make it seamless.

If I've got 10 new workstations with a new client and I've sold them 10 licenses and one server, I will have that set up in the cloud as soon as I get the license. It will probably take half an hour to set that up. I can then start adding computers instantly. To install 10 computers, it would take about five hours.

My team and I implement it. We also, sometimes, walk a client through the process remotely.

What other advice do I have?

Sophos Intercept X is a good protection service package for small businesses and large corporations. You can have two computers, five computers, or 5,000 computers, and it'll be just as easy to manage.

I haven't had any issues with ransomware since I began using anti-exploit. I trust Sophos Intercept X and rate it at ten on a scale from one to ten.

Chief Information Officer/Senior Vice President at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A scalable and secure solution with additional security features and proxy rules and settings
  • "There are additional security features in Sophos Intercept X as well as proxy rules and settings that help us in minimizing the sites that our agents can go to, even after their work hours."
  • "We had some initial problems with our deployment, and they were more around uninstalling Sophos Basic and installing Sophos Intercept X. We had some challenges with some of the uninstallation scripts. They can improve the deployment of Sophos Intercept X when there is already an existing Sophos version. They can also provide more information in the form of best practices and lessons learned from previous findings. A knowledge base with this type of information would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We have split our operations into work at home and on-premise. We have over 2,000 or 3,000 work-at-home agents. Some of them do not connect to us via a virtual private network. They connect directly to our CRM clients. In order for us to ensure that we have visibility and to be able to protect our PCs, we are using Sophos Intercept X via the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been a client of Sophos for close to nine or ten years, and we have not been compromised with ransomware or anything like that during this period. The whole Sophos solution set has been very useful.

What is most valuable?

There are additional security features in Sophos Intercept X as well as proxy rules and settings that help us in minimizing the sites that our agents can go to, even after their work hours.

What needs improvement?

We had some initial problems with our deployment, and they were more around uninstalling Sophos Basic and installing Sophos Intercept X. We had some challenges with some of the uninstallation scripts. They can improve the deployment of Sophos Intercept X when there is already an existing Sophos version. They can also provide more information in the form of best practices and lessons learned from previous findings. A knowledge base with this type of information would be helpful.

We've been a Sophos client for close to nine or ten years. We started using Sophos Intercept X last year.

After everything is deployed, I've not heard anything negative from my team. It seems stable.

Given that it is a cloud implementation, Intercept X is very scalable.

We have about 6,000 or 7,000 users. The majority of them are customer service agents. We are using both Sophos Basic and Intercept X, and our plan is to migrate the rest of the nodes to Sophos Intercept X. However, our migration plan might change because we are getting a requirement for Cynet from our clients who use Cynet. They are about 4,000 in number.

We are rather satisfied. It has not gone to that level where I have to escalate to Sophos Philippines for support. The only pain point that we had was related to the installation and deployment, given that we had to deploy outside of our network.

We had some initial problems with our deployment, and it was more around uninstalling Sophos Basic and installing Sophos Intercept X.

Its setup was rather complex because we support different clients, and the configuration of the PCs of each client is different. If every PC is the same, the initial setup might be straightforward, but we support over 30 different campaigns, which makes it challenging. We were able to deploy it for 2,000 or 3,000 agents, but it was not as seamless as we wanted it to be. It ended up taking four or five months.

We had Sophos Philippines and a local partner of theirs to assist us in this whole process. Overall, the experience was positive, but it could have been better. We could have received some more assistance from Sophos, either Sophos Philippines or Sophos headquarters, in terms of script development. Some of the issues were resolved by my own engineers by tweaking some scripts.

I am not sure about the cost. I would guess it to be between $50 to $60 per license. This would be the cost of the overall subscription. There is no additional fee.

What other advice do I have?

At this point, we are kind of positive about Sophos Intercept X. Our overall experience, after the deployment challenges, has been rather good.

I would rate Sophos Intercept X an eight out of ten.

Founder and Managing Partner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Responsive support, compatible with multi-platforms, and highly scalable
  • "The key factor that attracted me to Sophos Intercept X was the multi-platform. I have multiple clients that have mixed environments of Mac and Windows. I am able to deliver a standard solution, regardless of the platform."
  • "There are not any solutions that are a 10 out of 10. A 10 would be perfect protection with no impact on the performance of the device. This is not the case, there is some impact on the performance of the device."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Sophos Intercept X for network and system security.

What is most valuable?

The key factor that attracted me to Sophos Intercept X was the multi-platform. I have multiple clients that have mixed environments of Mac and Windows. I am able to deliver a standard solution, regardless of the platform.

Most of my clients I have central management, they receive updates automatically.

What needs improvement?

There are not any solutions that are a 10 out of 10. A 10 would be perfect protection with no impact on the performance of the device. This is not the case, there is some impact on the performance of the device.

I have been using Sophos Intercept X since it has been released, it has been many years.

Sophos Intercept X is very stable. However, we had a few issues when Apple released Big Sur. At the time the version of Sophos Intercept X that was running on the Macs wouldn't work properly with Big Sur. We had to install a beta, but that problem was resolved fairly quickly.

Sophos Intercept X is highly scalable.

I have found the Sophos office staff to be far more responsive than other vendors, such as Sonic Wall which is awful. I dealt with them for a number of years and I finally couldn't stand it anymore. I felt that Dell destroyed them.

I have been very pleased with tech support. As a partner, I have access directly to their engineers and developers. Their technical support is superior.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

In the centrally managed environments, you create a downloadable install that you can either email to the end-user or, can have available on thumb drives for customers to install. Once it's installed, it's automatically kept up to date with the most current version.

The price of Sophos Intercept X is competitive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm looking at moving to the EDR version of Sophos because I have a number of clients that have extremely critical data. One of them handles a lot of money for their clients, and the others are lawyers. The security of not only their own information, but their client information, is critical to them. The Intercept X EDR offering is starting to look like it might be a good solution for several of them because of the live monitoring of the threat attempts on their endpoints.

The EDR is an additional managed service that's a component of the antivirus, where depending upon which level you choose, you either have a team that is monitoring responses from your system, or at a higher level, you have dedicated resources that are monitoring your systems. If there's an alert, they immediately respond to that alert and research it, not only quarantine it, the AV quarantines it, but with the EDR function, it alerts the Sophos team that there has been a potential issue, and they'll immediately begin to research it.

My advice to others would be to use centralized management because it makes it much easier to implement, manage, track the installations, and the day-to-day usage. With the central management, you can see every PC or Mac that's connected, any activity, and any issues. You can narrow any issue down to the computer if it's had to quarantine anything. Additionally, you can tell how long it's been since the computer last communicated. It's a very powerful tool, I would recommend it. To the extent their clients are willing to accept the central manager, it is the best option.

I rate Sophos Intercept X a nine out of ten.

Kasun Weerasekara - PeerSpot reviewer
Assistant Manager Network and Data Center at D-Tech Sri Lanka
Reasonable pricing, good stability, and has a simple setup process
  • "We have found the pricing to be reasonable."
  • "We would like more application control in order to be able to schedule times and access."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security. We protect the computer network from threats as some users had some kinds of malicious threats. We have some policies for web control. and have used this solution to find some unwanted traffic and some unwanted site access by some users.

What is most valuable?

The server protection has been great. That's been the best thing for us.

The reporting has been very useful.

We have found that the EDR functionality has been very good.

The setup process has been very simple.

The solution has been very stable so far.

You can scale the solution if you need to, and it is an easy process.

We have found the pricing to be reasonable.

What needs improvement?

We would like the solution to be more complete so that we don't have to involve so many third parties.

We would like more application control in order to be able to schedule times and access. For example, we'd like to set it so that certain documents can only be accessed between 8 AM and 4 PM.

We did a POC with the solution that lasted six months. It's been in the production environment for three months. Therefore, for almost nine months we have been running on Sophos.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We have about 450 devices on this solution.

Currently, we have 3 administrators. There are only 2 super admins and 2 other users for the control panels, et cetera.

We use this solution on a daily basis.

The product is scalable. After we purchased only one user license, we decided to do an installed service also. It's a one or two-minute process in order to provide a temporary license for 1 month and, after that, we hope to stay covered. Therefore, we do have plans to increase usage.

Technical support has been good. During the installation process, we had the principal change, and it didn't affect the process. They have been very helpful so far. We have no complaints.

We did use Kaspersky.

There were ultimately some issues with the Kaspersky team in Sri Lanka and with the principal in Kenya. We didn't have support from the principal. We had issues for two or three years. We ended up having to change the product and we were with Kaspersky for maybe 8 years.

The initial setup is not difficult to manage. It's very easy and very straightforward.

With six people we were able to complete the setup.

So far, the maintenance has been little to now. The deployment that is connected to the internet automatically updates, and sort of maintains itself.

We did have some external help for the implementation process.

The pricing is good.

For testing purposes, we did try a variety of solutions. This product, however, was simple, the cloud was good, and the pricing was reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution.

We are using the cloud version of Sophos, however, there are some computers that are not connected to the internet, so we have to install something locally on-site as well. We are half on-premise and half in the cloud.

I would recommend the solution to other companies.

We've been satisfied with its capabilities. I would rate it at a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Diego Ferruz - PeerSpot reviewer
Country Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good usability with helpful technical support and reliable stability
  • "The solution has very good usability."
  • "The initial setup can be difficult if you don't come in with at least some knowledge about the product."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to check the correct flow of the workstations.

What is most valuable?

We have the complete solution. We try to see if we have any malware, ransomware, in our workstations, and detect and respond. It's very good at detection.

The solution has very good usability.

So far, it's working quite well for us and we've been very happy with it.

We don't often need support, however, when we do, they've been quite helpful.

If you have good hardware and a good memory, you won't have a problem with this solution's performance at all.

What needs improvement?

The solution is pretty complete and works well for our organization. I can't recall not having any specific feature on hand.

The solution can run slower on older computers. When you do a scan, you need to configure the scan to run in the time not when your traffic is high. The performance can be affected if the traffic is high and you are trying to scan. This isn't really the solution's fault. It may be an issue with the robustness of the machine

I've been using the solution for around two years now. It hasn't been too long.

The stability is very good. We have no complaints in this area. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's not buggy. It's reliable.

Personally, I have not tried to scale the solution, and therefore can't speak to the scalability itself. For our organization and its size, it works well. We have approximately 100 people in the company.

We've used technical support in the past. I've found them to be very good. We're quite happy with their level of service, even if we very rarely need to call on them. I'd give them very high marks - maybe 9.5 out of ten for the level of support they provide.

The initial setup can be challenging for those that come in blind with no prior knowledge of the solution. That said, we're pretty knowledgable, so we went in knowing the product and therefore we didn't really have trouble in that sense.

You need to make the deployment, and you need to put the agent in the workstation. That is the most difficult part of the solution. If the company is not centralized, the deployment of the solution is hard. That can be true for any product, actually. However, if you have some solution, for example, to make the deployment of different software for you, you can make the deployment easier. That way, you can centralize the configuration, and set the configuration for the complex platform.

For us, it took two weeks to a month to deploy the solution with the assistance of a software platform. However, that can vary according to the company and its size and environment.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Sophos.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using.

When implementing Sophos Intercept, other organizations need to know that the deployment can be a bit difficult. It's a good solution with a challenging implementation. YOu really need to centralize your deployment. If you have a solution that can help ease the deployment process, it's worth it.

Overall, we are very happy with it. I'd rate it at a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Sophos Intercept X Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022