We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Information Systems Coordinator at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Good ransomware security with an easy initial setup and good scalability potential
  • "The initial setup is simple."
  • "It's a challenge to do system maintenance work on a notebook. You always have to disable Sophos first."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as endpoint protection as well as for endpoint detection and response. It's like an EDR. It's basically used to prevent ransomware.

How has it helped my organization?

I would say that it's difficult to really say how it's improved our organization. We had never actually been hit by a ransomware attack prior to installing Sophos and never had Sophos tell us that we're experiencing one. That said, it's very important to be protected. Getting attacked would be a disaster.

What is most valuable?

We were looking for something that could sense ransomware attempts, to encrypt files, and cut off and reverse attacks as well as alert us to issues. That's what the Intercept X is designed to do. It's very good at security and protection. It offers very good reports.

The initial setup is simple.

The biggest feature that's on the server version that we're using, the EDR, is the ability to push data on threats that it's seeing over to another management platform, like a managed detection response service. It's nice that it's possible to do this and we don't have to pay so much attention to the alerts. They can for us.

What needs improvement?

It's a challenge to do system maintenance work on a notebook. You always have to disable Sophos first. Otherwise, it thinks you're a virus. It would be ideal if there was some sort of setting where you could warn the system it's just you in there doing routine maintenance.

I've used the solution over the last couple of years. However, I haven't used the product too heavily.

The stability is relatively good. We've had a few false alarms, however, there's nothing major that's happened so far. It seems free of bugs and glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's good.

I haven't personally tried to scale anything. It's probably pretty scalable because you don't have an appliance. Appliances have limitations as they have a set size or capacity. It is a cloud-based console, therefore it can probably scale pretty well.

We have 80 people in our organization and everybody uses the product.

I'd rate technical support pretty high. I'd give them an eight out of ten. They're helpful. They are knowledgeable and responsive. We've been satisfied with the level of attention we get when we need them.

We didn't have anything previously for anti-ransomware. We just had the Kaspersky antivirus. However, it wasn't able to detect ransomware specifically. Therefore, we put Sophos Intercept X on to do that.

We've found the initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not overly complex. We didn't have trouble setting everything up.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution.

We've got Sophos Intercept X on the notebook computers along with Kaspersky and then on the servers it's only Sophos EDR, which has both antivirus and Intercept X. All are bundled together.

The console's on the cloud and that's just installed on the clients, however, they all communicate with a self-hosted JIRA cloud console.

I'd advise those considering the solution to probably just go with the antivirus portion as well. That way, you've got it all under one console. We're juggling two consoles, Kaspersky and Sophos. It would be easier if everything was under one.

ON a scale from one to ten, I'd rate this product at a nine. We've been very happy with it.

Other
Chief Executive Officer at Infoview Limited
Beneficial policy management, automatic endpoint updates, simple installation
  • "Sophos Intercept X is a very effective solution and its being cloud-based is a benefit. Wherever my users are, I can apply policies to them. In the era of mobility, when users are out of the office or they're in different locations, it doesn't matter."
  • "From the management side, we receive detailed information. Sophos has many features, such as Threat Hunting but that comes with the XDR version of the solution. There's Sophos Intercept X and then there's Sophos Intercept X with XDR technology. We bought the XDR and then now the MTR, Managed Threat Response version available too. They have different packages for clients which gives them different options to pick from. If Sophos could combine more features into one package it would be beneficial."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Sophos Intercept X for endpoint protection.

What is most valuable?

Sophos Intercept X is a very effective solution and its being cloud-based is a benefit. Wherever my users are, I can apply policies to them. In the era of mobility, when users are out of the office or they're in different locations, it doesn't matter.

Whenever a user gets infected, as an admin, we get notified. We have many options to pick from, the ability to send policies to the endpoints is a very good feature that they have.

Whenever there is an update all the agents on the end-users systems automatically update.

We have the option of caching updates on the network, which allows us to save on bandwidth. For example, if we have 100 people in the office, we can deploy an internal caching server or a message link server, so not all computers need a connection to Sophos onto the cloud.

Sophos Intercept X integrates with their other solution very well, such as the XG Firewall. The feature is called Synchronized Security.

What needs improvement?

From the management side, we receive detailed information. Sophos has many features, such as Threat Hunting but that comes with the XDR version of the solution. There's Sophos Intercept X and then there's Sophos Intercept X with XDR technology. We bought the XDR and then now the MTR, Managed Threat Response version available too. They have different packages for clients which gives them different options to pick from. If Sophos could combine more features into one package it would be beneficial.

I have been using Sophos Intercept X for approximately five years.

Sophos Intercept X is highly stable.

I have found Sophos Intercept X to be scalable.

We have approximately 40 clients using this solution.

I'm a Sophos certified architect to myself, and as a partner, from the vendor, we have excellent support. We have not had a problem with the technical support, they are always available for communication, such as online chat or on-call.

We have used Kaspersky, ESET, Bitdefender, and Symantec solutions.

The installation is very easy. If someone is not on the network, you can send them an invite by email and they would only need to install the agent, and everything will work perfectly.

The time the installation takes depends on the internet connection. Sometimes it takes only five minutes and other times it can take up to 10 minutes. It all depends on the connection because it has to download the installer.

The end-user can install the solution themself. It is very easy. It is only a two to three-step process it is complete.

Many people are using this solution and some customers don't even have IT managers, we provide them manage services I this case.

The solution has great protection against anti-ransomware and all of the zero-day threats. The ROI is very good.

There is a license required to use this solution.

If it's a managed services provider contract that we have with the customer, then they pay monthly. Depends on the customer, what the requirements are. They can pay either monthly or annually to us, but we have to pay annually to the vendor.

Before choosing Sophos Intercept X we evaluated Kaspersky, ESET, Bitdefender, and Symantec. For some of our clients who are using the other products, now they've shifted to Sophos Intercept X.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Sophos Intercept X a ten out of ten.

Private Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Sophos Intercept X. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Founder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Cloud administration, strong ransomware protection, and firewall integration make this a standout
  • "The most valuable features are the cloud administration and the strength of the ransomware protection."
  • "There do not seem to be any limitations to the scalability of this product."
  • "The deployment is quick. It just depends on the environment and what you may be replacing."
  • "This product integrates well with Sophos firewalls and should be seriously considered by Sophos Firewall clients."
  • "The technical support is the lone sore-point when dealing with this product."

What is our primary use case?

We are a small consulting group. We are not really end-users but we sell to them. We are primarily recommending Sophos Central Intercept X as a client solution for endpoint security. They are going to be using it for the security apps, their desktops, and there is a server version as well. I would think that someone buying the server product would expect that to include endpoint security, including ransomware protection, advanced threat protection, and zero-day threat protection.

Many of our users also use Sophos firewalls and the solutions integrate with each other nicely.

What is most valuable?

I would say that the most valuable features are the cloud administration and the strength of the ransomware protection.

What needs improvement?

The one thing that I think probably needs the most attention with this product is the technical support. Some of our customers are starting to complain about that.

It is a good product, generally. I can not really give it any criticism or go on about missing or broken features. I have got nothing to say that needs improvement other than the support.

We have been recommending Sophos to users for maybe four years. The proper product name is actually Sophos Central Intercept X Advanced.

I do not know of any limitations having to do with the scalability of this product. We are a small company so the number of clients that we have is not that large. The total would be maybe around 10 clients. The number of endpoints under management for those clients that we are involved with is about 1000. I do not see that we are even close to any limitations in scaling this product with those numbers.

The one thing that needs the most attention according to our customers is the product's technical support. We do not really hear anything about the product having larger issues but there have been a few comments on the gaps in tech support.

The initial setup is probably straightforward but there are times when it could be difficult. We are about to do a project where we are going to have to replace a Symantec product. We will see how hard that is to do. The potential problems have more to do with a question of how difficult it is to remove Symantec completely than it is about installing Sophos. There is a tool from Sophos for doing a replacement. We had not used it before so we will get to see how well it works.

The deployment is quick. It just depends on the environment. If you have a lot of remote sites, that could take more time. If you got to replace something, you never know how hard it is going to be because of how another product sets down its roots. There is a point where you have to just do as well as you can and then deal with issues if any arise.

When we deploy it into client sites we are the integrators and consultants for the deployment. It deploys as you would expect and there are no surprises. Again, it could be hard to remove an existing solution.

Intercept X for endpoints is around $35 per user per year. The server version is $95 per server per year.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anybody who is using a Sophos firewall and is looking to migrate to another solution to give Intercept X the serious consideration it deserves because the Sophos firewall integrates well with the Intercept X solution and that is an advantage.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this solution as a nine-out-of-ten.

Chief Information Officer/Senior Vice President at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A scalable and secure solution with additional security features and proxy rules and settings
  • "There are additional security features in Sophos Intercept X as well as proxy rules and settings that help us in minimizing the sites that our agents can go to, even after their work hours."
  • "We had some initial problems with our deployment, and they were more around uninstalling Sophos Basic and installing Sophos Intercept X. We had some challenges with some of the uninstallation scripts. They can improve the deployment of Sophos Intercept X when there is already an existing Sophos version. They can also provide more information in the form of best practices and lessons learned from previous findings. A knowledge base with this type of information would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We have split our operations into work at home and on-premise. We have over 2,000 or 3,000 work-at-home agents. Some of them do not connect to us via a virtual private network. They connect directly to our CRM clients. In order for us to ensure that we have visibility and to be able to protect our PCs, we are using Sophos Intercept X via the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been a client of Sophos for close to nine or ten years, and we have not been compromised with ransomware or anything like that during this period. The whole Sophos solution set has been very useful.

What is most valuable?

There are additional security features in Sophos Intercept X as well as proxy rules and settings that help us in minimizing the sites that our agents can go to, even after their work hours.

What needs improvement?

We had some initial problems with our deployment, and they were more around uninstalling Sophos Basic and installing Sophos Intercept X. We had some challenges with some of the uninstallation scripts. They can improve the deployment of Sophos Intercept X when there is already an existing Sophos version. They can also provide more information in the form of best practices and lessons learned from previous findings. A knowledge base with this type of information would be helpful.

We've been a Sophos client for close to nine or ten years. We started using Sophos Intercept X last year.

After everything is deployed, I've not heard anything negative from my team. It seems stable.

Given that it is a cloud implementation, Intercept X is very scalable.

We have about 6,000 or 7,000 users. The majority of them are customer service agents. We are using both Sophos Basic and Intercept X, and our plan is to migrate the rest of the nodes to Sophos Intercept X. However, our migration plan might change because we are getting a requirement for Cynet from our clients who use Cynet. They are about 4,000 in number.

We are rather satisfied. It has not gone to that level where I have to escalate to Sophos Philippines for support. The only pain point that we had was related to the installation and deployment, given that we had to deploy outside of our network.

We had some initial problems with our deployment, and it was more around uninstalling Sophos Basic and installing Sophos Intercept X.

Its setup was rather complex because we support different clients, and the configuration of the PCs of each client is different. If every PC is the same, the initial setup might be straightforward, but we support over 30 different campaigns, which makes it challenging. We were able to deploy it for 2,000 or 3,000 agents, but it was not as seamless as we wanted it to be. It ended up taking four or five months.

We had Sophos Philippines and a local partner of theirs to assist us in this whole process. Overall, the experience was positive, but it could have been better. We could have received some more assistance from Sophos, either Sophos Philippines or Sophos headquarters, in terms of script development. Some of the issues were resolved by my own engineers by tweaking some scripts.

I am not sure about the cost. I would guess it to be between $50 to $60 per license. This would be the cost of the overall subscription. There is no additional fee.

What other advice do I have?

At this point, we are kind of positive about Sophos Intercept X. Our overall experience, after the deployment challenges, has been rather good.

I would rate Sophos Intercept X an eight out of ten.

Kasun Weerasekara
Assistant Manager Network and Data Center at D-Tech Sri Lanka
Reasonable pricing, good stability, and has a simple setup process
  • "We have found the pricing to be reasonable."
  • "We would like more application control in order to be able to schedule times and access."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security. We protect the computer network from threats as some users had some kinds of malicious threats. We have some policies for web control. and have used this solution to find some unwanted traffic and some unwanted site access by some users.

What is most valuable?

The server protection has been great. That's been the best thing for us.

The reporting has been very useful.

We have found that the EDR functionality has been very good.

The setup process has been very simple.

The solution has been very stable so far.

You can scale the solution if you need to, and it is an easy process.

We have found the pricing to be reasonable.

What needs improvement?

We would like the solution to be more complete so that we don't have to involve so many third parties.

We would like more application control in order to be able to schedule times and access. For example, we'd like to set it so that certain documents can only be accessed between 8 AM and 4 PM.

We did a POC with the solution that lasted six months. It's been in the production environment for three months. Therefore, for almost nine months we have been running on Sophos.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We have about 450 devices on this solution.

Currently, we have 3 administrators. There are only 2 super admins and 2 other users for the control panels, et cetera.

We use this solution on a daily basis.

The product is scalable. After we purchased only one user license, we decided to do an installed service also. It's a one or two-minute process in order to provide a temporary license for 1 month and, after that, we hope to stay covered. Therefore, we do have plans to increase usage.

Technical support has been good. During the installation process, we had the principal change, and it didn't affect the process. They have been very helpful so far. We have no complaints.

We did use Kaspersky.

There were ultimately some issues with the Kaspersky team in Sri Lanka and with the principal in Kenya. We didn't have support from the principal. We had issues for two or three years. We ended up having to change the product and we were with Kaspersky for maybe 8 years.

The initial setup is not difficult to manage. It's very easy and very straightforward.

With six people we were able to complete the setup.

So far, the maintenance has been little to now. The deployment that is connected to the internet automatically updates, and sort of maintains itself.

We did have some external help for the implementation process.

The pricing is good.

For testing purposes, we did try a variety of solutions. This product, however, was simple, the cloud was good, and the pricing was reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution.

We are using the cloud version of Sophos, however, there are some computers that are not connected to the internet, so we have to install something locally on-site as well. We are half on-premise and half in the cloud.

I would recommend the solution to other companies.

We've been satisfied with its capabilities. I would rate it at a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Diego Ferruz
Country Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good usability with helpful technical support and reliable stability
  • "The solution has very good usability."
  • "The initial setup can be difficult if you don't come in with at least some knowledge about the product."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to check the correct flow of the workstations.

What is most valuable?

We have the complete solution. We try to see if we have any malware, ransomware, in our workstations, and detect and respond. It's very good at detection.

The solution has very good usability.

So far, it's working quite well for us and we've been very happy with it.

We don't often need support, however, when we do, they've been quite helpful.

If you have good hardware and a good memory, you won't have a problem with this solution's performance at all.

What needs improvement?

The solution is pretty complete and works well for our organization. I can't recall not having any specific feature on hand.

The solution can run slower on older computers. When you do a scan, you need to configure the scan to run in the time not when your traffic is high. The performance can be affected if the traffic is high and you are trying to scan. This isn't really the solution's fault. It may be an issue with the robustness of the machine

I've been using the solution for around two years now. It hasn't been too long.

The stability is very good. We have no complaints in this area. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's not buggy. It's reliable.

Personally, I have not tried to scale the solution, and therefore can't speak to the scalability itself. For our organization and its size, it works well. We have approximately 100 people in the company.

We've used technical support in the past. I've found them to be very good. We're quite happy with their level of service, even if we very rarely need to call on them. I'd give them very high marks - maybe 9.5 out of ten for the level of support they provide.

The initial setup can be challenging for those that come in blind with no prior knowledge of the solution. That said, we're pretty knowledgable, so we went in knowing the product and therefore we didn't really have trouble in that sense.

You need to make the deployment, and you need to put the agent in the workstation. That is the most difficult part of the solution. If the company is not centralized, the deployment of the solution is hard. That can be true for any product, actually. However, if you have some solution, for example, to make the deployment of different software for you, you can make the deployment easier. That way, you can centralize the configuration, and set the configuration for the complex platform.

For us, it took two weeks to a month to deploy the solution with the assistance of a software platform. However, that can vary according to the company and its size and environment.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Sophos.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using.

When implementing Sophos Intercept, other organizations need to know that the deployment can be a bit difficult. It's a good solution with a challenging implementation. YOu really need to centralize your deployment. If you have a solution that can help ease the deployment process, it's worth it.

Overall, we are very happy with it. I'd rate it at a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Abbasi Poonawala
Vice President Derivatives Ops IT at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good support and uses AI to detect ransomware, but human monitoring is still required for sophisticated threats
  • "Machine learning is used to detect the threat and it does so by prioritizing the suspicious activities."
  • "Better protection in the endpoint, server, and mobile is needed."

What is our primary use case?

This product is basically used for detecting ransomware. It will monitor all of the ransomware threats. Since the first ransomware attack happened in 2017, WannaCry, it has been a global threat. It is a vulnerability that is impacting a lot of devices and computers in the network.

Ransomware threats have been identified as one of the first priorities in the entire info security segment. Information security consists of various things including endpoint detection, threat detection, and then your SIEMs like QRadar or ArcSight.

At the early point of detection, Sopho is going to stop the ransomware. The question that has been there since 2017 is how it will identify the ransomware and how does it stop the attack from happening to the network. WannaCry was the first large ransomware attack, which has impacted various regions and is a very high severity threat. Since then, a lot of things have been lined up for mitigating the risk, like WannaCry.

What is most valuable?

Machine learning is used to detect the threat and it does so by prioritizing the suspicious activities. There is no human intervention in some cases, which is the trend that is happening with most of these products. High-end products and sophisticated products include machine learning capabilities for detecting the threats.

What needs improvement?

There are hackers who hack the artificial intelligence component using artificial intelligence itself. These sophisticated hackers are using AI capabilities, and the problem is that with no human intervention, machine learning can be defeated. The consequence is that somebody still has to keep watch and monitor the detection from the threat scanning.

Better protection in the endpoint, server, and mobile is needed. Those three areas should be fully protected. It should stop ransomware from installing, it should stop it from deploying, and it should also block unauthorized file encryption. In summary, it should have more protection, better detection, and better response.

We have been using Sophos Intercept X for more than two and a half years.

Sophos Intercept-X is a stable solution and we plan to continue using it in the future.

This is a scalable product and we have more than 7,500 devices connected to the network.

The technical support is 24x7 and it is good. They have different points of contact within the support regions like India, Singapore, and various other regions.

We have Sophos running in parallel with Sophos Cloud, in some of the regions.

The initial setup is quite simple and it will take a couple of hours.

I and my team deploy and maintain this solution. The deployment happens on the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution but that said, there are breaches that are happening, and they are happening using AI. So, the attackers are also that sophisticated and it means that somebody has to sit and do the human check as well.

Ultimately, what happens is that the threats are found, and then the response action is taken based on the outcome of all these steps.

This is a product that I can recommend to others. The DR has better capabilities, as it's powered by machine learning.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Service Delivery Engineer - Network Security Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Built-in AI, intelligent scanning, easy to use interface, and easy to manage from a single panel
  • "This is really good because it's applicable to zero-day threats."
  • "The security is good but the feature set is limited."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for endpoints and a firewall.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the AI functionality.

It really does intelligent scanning to know if it really is a threat or not.

This is really good because it's applicable to zero-day threats.

The engine that is behind the Intercept X is really good because it has AI in-built.

The UI, the user interface it's really simple and straightforward.

The management is quite simple. it is backed up on the cloud. From the cloud, you can manage all of your devices through the firewall, including the endpoint solution and the email solutions. They are all managed in one panel.

It's a straightforward product. I don't see anything that they can change.

One of the best parts of Sophos is manageability. You will find in the organization you just have one portal where we just manage all of the devices in one place.

It's very simple. You just run an agent with the machine that communicates with the cloud portal. it is very simple to manage.

What needs improvement?

When comparing the security, I feel that Fortinet has more features as compared to Sophos Intercept X. As such, the feature set needs improvement. They should offer more with the firewall.

For example, Fortinet has a web application, it has application control, it has antivirus, and it has anti-malware. It offers many features.

Sophos is a bit behind when it comes to the features of the firewall itself.

The security is good but the feature set is limited.

They can up their marketing strategies. They need to increase their marketing efforts.

I have been using Sophos Intercept X for one year.

We are using the latest version.

It's a very stable product.

It's a scalable solution.

We have 100 users in our organization.

We have plans to continue using this solution.

Technical support is very good.

I was using Kaspersky for endpoints. I changed back because Kaspersky was using too many resources on my machine. Also, I changed because of the complexity.

The installation was straightforward.

It took a day and a half.

The deployment for a medium enterprise can be done by one engineer unless they are deploying several appliances.

I implemented this solution myself. We did not use an integrator or vendor.

Licensing costs are not expensive.

What other advice do I have?

They have the hardware for different products, different appliances for different specifications.

Sophos bought Cyberoam. People who were Cyberoam customers needed to migrate to the Sophos platform. They could migrate to the Sophos platform while they were still on the Cyberoam product or the Cyberoam appliances.

You can see the kind of work that went back into backward compatibility of the Sophos platform to the Cyberoam platform.

People could actually migrate from that Cyberoam to Sophos, and their licenses as well.

Overall, I am perfectly satisfied with the product. I have no complaints.

I would definitely recommend Sophos Intercept X to others who are interested in using it.

Download our free Sophos Intercept X Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.