IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

SolarWinds Web Help Desk OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SolarWinds Web Help Desk is #30 ranked solution in top Help Desk Software. PeerSpot users give SolarWinds Web Help Desk an average rating of 6 out of 10. SolarWinds Web Help Desk is most commonly compared to ServiceNow: SolarWinds Web Help Desk vs ServiceNow. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is SolarWinds Web Help Desk?

SolarWinds Web Help Desk simplifies service management with unified ticketing, asset, knowledge, and change management. Key features include:

1. Maintain asset inventory by managing the use, availability, and health of IT assets, and tracking this over time.
  2. Control change management, It regulates and manages change requests through automated approval workflows and panel voting options.
  3. Employs robust reporting and monitoring using a built-in reports and dashboards to track ticket status, technician performance, and customer support needs.
  4. Automate ticketing management that Automate service request management through ticket creation, assignment, routing, and escalation.
  5. Centralize your knowledge management, Leverage a built-in help desk knowledge base to create and maintain KB articles and promote end-user self-service for common issues.
  6. Meet your SLAs, it has "SLA breach approaching" notifications and date-specific SLA reminder alerts that help customize escalation and de-escalation workflows.

Download the Help Desk Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

SolarWinds Web Help Desk Customers

Instacart

SolarWinds Web Help Desk Video

SolarWinds Web Help Desk Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SolarWinds Web Help Desk pricing:
  • "They charge by the technician. It costs $117 per technician per year."
  • "When you compare with ManageEngine and ServiceNow, SolarWinds is reasonable."
  • SolarWinds Web Help Desk Reviews

Margaret Auld-Louie - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Administrator at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless
    Has good search functionalities but the interface feels clunky
    • "It has a pretty good search function. If you do the advanced search, you can basically search for anything in any field. If I do a search on the request field and just put in some terms I'm searching for, I can usually find the ticket that I'm looking for."
    • "The interface feels clunky to me compared to some other systems that I've used. I used ManageEngine Service Desk prior to this at my previous job and that had stuff like categories that we use that I don't see in SolarWinds."

What is our primary use case?

We use this for our ticketing system for all the departments, not just IT but Data, HR, maintenance, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us with a ticketing system, which is crucial for IT and the other departments, to keep track of the work that we do.

What is most valuable?

It has a pretty good search function. If you do the advanced search, you can basically search for anything in any field. If I do a search on the "request" field, that will search the whole body of the ticket so I just put in some search terms of something I think is in the ticket. By doing that, I can usually find the ticket that I'm looking for.

What needs improvement?

The interface feels clunky to me compared to some other systems that I've used. I used ManageEngine Service Desk prior to this at my previous job and that had stuff like categories that we use that I don't see in SolarWinds. It was a little more intuitive to use as far as understanding how to respond in the ticket and get an email to go to the user, things like that. This is less intuitive as far as understanding how to use the interface. It could be more intuitive, it doesn't have as many features has either Service Desk did or ServiceNow, which I used prior to Service Desk. It doesn't have a way to put PCs into it and tie to the user or ticket that I can see. In both ServiceNow and Service Desk, you can have your PCs in it and then tie that to the user or the ticket.  The program seems buggy to me. Not infrequently, when I click to add a Note, the Notes section disappears instead of opening a box to add a Note. So then I have to close and reopen the view of the ticket and try again. And sometimes I have to try 2 or 3 times to make a change in a ticket and save it, as it doesn't save the change. This is particularly true when selecting an option from a dropdown, such as selecting a tech for the ticket or selecting "closed" to change the ticket status. I select the option then click the save button and it doesn't save the option. So then I have to select it again and click on save. Sometimes I have to do this 3 times before it sticks and saves it.  The other issue that some of us encounter is that the Refresh will change itself from "1 minute" to "Disabled" and then it stops refreshing the view so that we no longer see new tickets. So we then have to manually change the refresh back to "1 minute".
    May 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about SolarWinds, ManageEngine, Atlassian and others in Help Desk Software. Updated: May 2022.
    597,415 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using SolarWinds since I've been at my organization, which is three and a half years. The organization has had it longer.  We use the most recent version that we run ourselves on our server, not a cloud or hosted version.

It's fairly stable, sometimes late in the day it will stop responding and I have to restart the server, but that's not a frequent occurrence. I

It seems pretty scalable to me. We're not a huge organization, we only have 700 some employees, but it seems to be able to handle quite a few tickets.

I haven't really dealt with technical support, that's dealt with more by my coworker who is more expert on this.

They charge by the technician. It costs $117 per technician per year. I think that's cheaper than Service Desk or ServiceNow. I don't think there are any additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would to definitely look at the interface and make sure that you like the interface. I don't really like the interface compared to Service Desk, it was jarring to switch from Service Desk to Web Help Desk when I changed positions. Now I'm used to it, it doesn't bother me anymore, but I really did not like it when I first started using it. You should definitely look at the interface and make sure that you like the interface. In the next release, I would like to see categories and an improved UI. I don't know if it provides an interface for end-users or not, if it does, we don't use that. It would be nice for it to have a good interface for end-users, we just have people send emails that create tickets which is what we also did with Service Desk at my last job. I think having a web interface for the user to submit a ticket is a nice idea. I would rate SolarWinds Web Help Desk a six out of ten. Mainly because of the interface and some of the functionality that it doesn't have that we had in the other solutions I tried.
    Anil  Rao - PeerSpot reviewer
    Vice President Delivery & Operations at Rezilyens
    Reseller
    Reasonable pricing and simple installation, but support is neither knowledgeable nor responsive
    • "It is easy to use."
    • "We would like to see automation included in the next release. We would like to eliminate the L1, and L2 support, by at least 80%. To do this, we need automation with AI (Artificial Intelligence) in combination with ML (Machine Learning)."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant, and we are implementors.

SolarWinds Web Help Desk is used mostly for monitoring purposes.

What is most valuable?

They use Power BI for the reporting.

It is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

They can build on providing product knowledge to the sales teams. They are not familiar with all of the product capabilities, or the comparison between similar products.

I don't feel that we receive an adequate amount of help or cooperation from technical support.

We would like to see automation included in the next release. We would like to eliminate the L1 and L2 support, by at least 80%. To do this, we need automation with AI (Artificial Intelligence) in combination with ML (Machine Learning).

As an example, consider that we are monitoring a storage system, particular server storage, that is going to breach its threshold very soon. Based on the learning of the day-to-day running, or day-to-day transactions, it should be able to understand that there is a number of GBs occupying spaces every day and a number of GBs left over, and within another 10 days or 15 days, it will breach the threshold.

I should be notified on whether there is a place for me in the storage and some other LUN where I can provide the storage for it. Otherwise, I have to order another storage system.

This is the kind of automation we are looking at.

SolarWinds is a stable solution.

I found that the technical support from SolarWinds was not really very good. Technical support is a bit difficult.

The technical support of ServiceNow and ManageEngine is good and they were professional.

The sales team does not have a feature-by-feature comparison with other products or their competitors.

We had an issue where the alerts were not being diverted through the email. We had a difficult time trying to resolve this issue. We raised a ticket and after almost two weeks, we found a solution for the issue. SolarWinds did not assist us in this issue.

This left a black mark or a gray area with the technical support. The technical team is not competent, or available, and they do not know the product. It was frustrating and surprising for us. We were under the impression that the technical team would be trained, experienced, and have knowledge of the product.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Negative

I have also worked with ManageEngine, as well as Nagios. We primarily use Nagios for monitoring, whereas ManageEngine is used as a ServiceDesk tool, and ServiceNow is used for both a monitoring tool as well as a ServiceDesk tool.

ServiceNow has a large number of features that make it difficult to install and use.

We have completed several migrations, including those from Remedy to ServiceNow, ServiceNow to ManageEngine, and Micro Focus to Manage Engine.

The initial setup of ServiceNow is complex. You can't just install it and start using it. You need some training.

SolarWinds and Manage Engine are pretty straightforward.

A person who is not in IT, but has some good ITSM knowledge will be able to configure it directly on SolarWinds, and Manage Engine.

When you compare with ManageEngine and ServiceNow, SolarWinds is reasonable.

The licensing fees are fine.

We were requested to compare SolarWinds, ManageEngine, and ServiceNow to see which one we should recommend to them.

We are evaluating license, cost, simplicity of use, and whether the software is implemented in the cloud or on-premises.

The three are similar. There are no differences other than reporting.

What other advice do I have?

I have worked with and configured SolarWinds, but I am not yet acquainted with all of its features. I haven't looked into all of them.

Overall, I would rate SolarWinds Web Help Desk a six out of ten.

May 2022
    597,415 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    IT Infrastructure and Security Manager with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Slightly outdated but still provides detailed monitoring capabilities

What is our primary use case?

My primary use is to connect web applications through VPN.

I've been using SolarWinds for four to five years.

SolarWinds is stable, we haven't faced any problems with it.

SolarWinds is scalable as far as adding devices and servers. However, we were informed that in order to upgrade, we needed to completely reinstall it (this may have had to do with us not performing any upgrades during the two or three years following the initial installation).

What other advice do I have?

SolarWinds is a very good application that provides you with a detailed monitoring capability of your network and assets. However, it's a little outdated compared to newer products that include protection and detection. I'd rate this solution as seven out of ten.

Download our free Help Desk Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about SolarWinds, ManageEngine, Atlassian, and more!
    Updated: May 2022