We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor is #1 ranked solution in top Active Directory Management tools, #7 ranked solution in top Server Monitoring tools, and #9 ranked solution in APM tools. PeerSpot users give SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor an average rating of 8 out of 10. SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor is most commonly compared to Azure Monitor: SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor vs Azure Monitor. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor?

SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor (SAM) delivers powerful application and server monitoring capabilities for IT pros, enabling them to diagnose and troubleshoot performance issues faster. Do not let slow applications and downtime impact your end-users and business services. Pinpoint the root cause of application issues across various layers of the IT stack. SolarWinds SAM is affordable and easy to deploy, use, and customize. You can automatically discover your system's environment and start monitoring in about an hour. No professional services or consultation needed.

SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor was previously known as SolarWinds SAM.

Download the Server Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor Customers

Andr. L. Riis AS, NetSuite

SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor Video

SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor pricing:
  • "Its licensing is on a yearly basis. It is just the standard price, but it can vary depending on the current rate of the dollar."
  • "I like the pricing for this SolarWinds product."
  • "Price can always be lower. It is neither on the expensive side nor on the cheap side. We have worked with them for a lot of years, so we get a discount due to the size of the installation."
  • SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor Reviews

IT Consultant at a tech services company
    Has good configuration capabilities and very good monitoring
    • "The solution is great for monitoring. If something is going wrong, we can immediately find the root cause."
    • "The templates could use improvement. Currently, they are quite complex. They should have drag-and-drop functionality instead. It would make it easier to use."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for Microsoft Exchange. We use it as a monitoring tool to query and monitor databases. Using the solution we are able to see what service is running or what services are not. It allows us to get a complete picture of the SIEM.

What is most valuable?

We find that the most valuable aspect of the solution is its configuration capabilities. It's quite simple. Users can configure Linux or Windows very easily.

What needs improvement?

The technical support is slow to respond. They need to act on tickets faster.

We have been using the solution for approximately three or four months. It hasn't been that long.

We've found the solution to be very stable. We haven't had issues with bugs, glitches or crashes. It's been very good.

We've found the solution to be scalable.

We don't have users per se on the solution, as it's only meant to monitor. We have seven people on our team, and any one of us can use the solution to check and monitor everything as needed.

We use it on a daily basis.

We've been in touch with technical support in the past to help us deal with the customization of reports, which is quite difficult on the platform.

Their support is, at times, difficult because of the time zone. For example, if we raise a ticket now, we won't get a response for seven hours. The delay isn't great for us.

We previously used ManageEngine. It was not giving us what we needed, which is why we switched. With SolarWinds, we can even get great performance and good monitoring from MongoDB through SQL.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. We found it rather easy.

In terms of setup, traditionally, to configure any single node, it takes about five to ten minutes.

In order to maintain the solution, a company would need at least two people: one to monitor performance and another to monitor the application itself.

I was able to handle the entire implementation myself after going through and reading the documentation. I didn't need the outside assistance of an integrator or consultant.

I don't have any information on pricing, as that is handled by our procurement team.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution. I believe it is version 12.5.

If a company would really like insight into its database utilization or performance and why their servers are slow or why the database is not giving a proper response, this solution will help. It's perfect for revealing bottlenecks. You will have more visibility once you will install it in your environment. The solution will no doubt help other companies resolve issues very quickly.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

System Administrator/ Information Management Specialist / System Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Provides in-depth monitoring of services and processes and has pretty good scalability and stability
    • "Monitoring of processes and services is the most valuable feature. It is not necessarily just the server alone in terms of the CPU or the memory. We can go in-depth into services and processes."
    • "Reporting is the only thing with which we currently have challenges. They have this in two ways. There is the report writer, which is the backend, and we also have web reports, which are on the console. So, they have removed the report writer for the backend reports, and we are making use of the web console, but most of the users are not finding it very interesting to use the frontend reports. I would like them to bring back the report writer. That's the key area within it to improve on the reporting. If they can bring back the report writer, then most users will actually be comfortable. I have some customers who are trying to export their report to an Excel format, but it is not possible because they said any report that has been done from the web console cannot be exported to Excel, but most of the customers need to export their reports to Excel. That's one area they need to work on."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for the monitoring of servers and applications. Currently, we are using version 2020.2.5.

What is most valuable?

Monitoring of processes and services is the most valuable feature. It is not necessarily just the server alone in terms of the CPU or the memory. We can go in-depth into services and processes.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is the only thing with which we currently have challenges. They have this in two ways. There is the report writer, which is the backend, and we also have web reports, which are on the console. So, they have removed the report writer for the backend reports, and we are making use of the web console, but most of the users are not finding it very interesting to use the frontend reports.

It has been close to six years now.

It is really stable. We're making use of a polling engine. When the customer site is experiencing some slowness of the console or the server, they'll know that they have overutilized the resources. So, we'll try to give them recommendations on what to do to make it better.

Its scalability is pretty good. There are a lot of users using SolarWinds. They are mostly financial institutions. We are trying to bring in more people to make use of the product. So, we try to do a comparison to what they have presently and how we can optimize for them.

It was pretty much straightforward. Anybody who doesn't understand the basics of SQL can make use of the backend, but you need to have a little bit of experience with SQL before you can use the frontend for the reports.

The deployment takes up to an hour. Normally, the installation part will take around 45 minutes to complete. When it comes to the configuration part, it takes time depending on the devices you want to onboard to SolarWinds.

I am a consultant, so I did the deployment. Its deployment and maintenance can be done by one person.

Its licensing is on a yearly basis. It is just the standard price, but it can vary depending on the current rate of the dollar.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of 10 so that they improve on the report.

Find out what your peers are saying about SolarWinds, Microsoft, Oracle and others in Server Monitoring. Updated: January 2022.
    564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Michael Ernest
    Senior Officer at a international affairs institute with 201-500 employees
    Stable with good alerts and a pretty straightforward setup
    • "The solution has good alerts. Notifications are sent via email to technicians. You can filter the kinds of alerts you want to receive as well. It's excellent."
    • "In terms of the dashboards on offer, they should work to improve them. The types of dashboards that you get in terms of the graphs on offer aren't ideal right now."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used more or less for the servers for the network including monitoring the logs and all of those tasks.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution should be adjusted.

We've been using the solution for two years now.

The solution has been working quite well. We haven't seen any problems so far. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The product has good stability.

We haven't seen any restrictions on scaling. If a company needs to scale with this solution, they can do so.

We have yet to contact technical support. Most of the time the troubleshooting is done online, and therefore we haven't had the necessity to go through them yet. This is due to the fact that the department is not at that big of a scale yet, and therefore we've just set it up and started using it. We haven't found the need to contact technical support yet.

The solution isn't complex to set up. It's pretty straightforward.

The deployment takes about a week. It doesn't take too long.

We have one person, more or less, that's handling the solution and can handle maintenance as required.

The cost should be a bit less. It's high right now, or higher than it should be.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

For small, small businesses, this solution will be good. However, if you want to go more complex, I would advise you to potentially explore other options.

So far, I would rate the solution at an eight on a scale from one to ten. We are still exploring its capabilities. It's still pretty new to us.

Business Consultant. at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Powerful tool for DBAs with support for Active Directory
    • "The most valuable feature is the Access Rights Manager."
    • "Support for the IBM Mainframe is needed."

What is our primary use case?

We are a distributor and solution provider, and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. It is used for monitoring the performance of applications and infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Access Rights Manager.

It is a very powerful tool for database administration and management.

The support for Active Directory is good.

What needs improvement?

Support for the IBM Mainframe is needed.

I have been working with SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor for two years.

This is a stable product.

It is absolutely scalable. We have worked on projects of different sizes for companies operating on local, national, and international levels. The smaller deployments include perhaps 10 network devices, 20 servers, and two network storage devices. We have done several medium-sized deployments with between 100 and 500 servers, including two data centers.

The technical support is nothing special. The service is available on a 24/7 basis, which is good enough for my market.

I have worked with similar solutions including Zabbix, HPE Performance Manager, and Microsoft System Center Manager. I have good opinions of HPE and SolarWinds.

This solution is simple to deploy. I do not need more than two or three hours to complete it.

I spend perhaps 30 minutes customizing it, making technical changes for the customer's environment and infrastructure. This can be done once we have all of the information that we need concerning the IT processes.

I like the pricing for this SolarWinds product.

What other advice do I have?

There are several tools included in this solution including AppStack (Application Stack Management), PerfStack (Performance Analysis), and NetPath (Network Path Analysis).

This is an open platform so if there is something that it does not support then you can write your own scripts. You have the ability to include metrics from different systems, which is very good.

In summary, I like this product and I recommend it. SolarWinds is one of the best products on the market and if they eventually support the IBM Mainframe then it will be perfect.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Distributor.
    Systems Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Good at monitoring system-specific things and very stable and scalable
    • "It's good at monitoring system-specific things like ports, services."
    • "It lacks a user experience for measuring things like the end-to-end time for which a user waits for a specific response in the system. In the application layer, it has some very basic stuff. You have to build your own with manuscripts and things like that."

What is most valuable?

It's good at monitoring system-specific things like ports, services.

What needs improvement?

It lacks a user experience for measuring things like the end-to-end time for which a user waits for a specific response in the system.

In the application layer, it has some very basic stuff. You have to build your own with manuscripts and things like that.

I have been using this solution for a few years. We installed it on a customer site when we first got the contract. We haven't done any upgrades.

It is very stable.

It is scalable. We have set up a lot of things, like 300 VMs and 10 to 15 different monitors. So, we are talking about a small number of monitors and a lot of VMs. It's kind of a big one.

I am not sure. I'm not the person who tries to troubleshoot it. I don't think we needed much support. Only once there was a corruption in some kind of database, and a colleague of mine asked about how to solve it. Otherwise, we didn't need any technical support from them.

Price can always be lower. It is neither on the expensive side nor on the cheap side. We have worked with them for a lot of years, so we get a discount due to the size of the installation.

A customer is trying to move some of the VMs to Azure. It is the latest trend, and people are moving from on-premises VMs to cloud-based VMs.

Azure Monitor seems to be more powerful on the log analytics and the application level side, but it is less powerful on the systems side, for example, listening port or service.

What other advice do I have?

It's a decent solution for on-premises servers.

I would rate SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor an eight out of ten. It needs application-level monitoring and performance output.

ICT Network Infrastructure & Architect at a transportation company with 1-10 employees
    Easy to set up but needs to improve stability, flexibility, and integration
    • "The initial setup was relatively easy, and we didn't have to install anything. All we had to do was put on the devices we wanted to monitor."
    • "The stability, flexibility, and ease of use could be improved."

What is most valuable?

The initial setup was relatively easy.

We didn't go into very much depth, as in application monitoring and services monitoring, but I believe it can do both.

What needs improvement?

The stability, flexibility, and ease of use could be improved. The performance, integration, and pricing could be better as well.

We used it for about four years. It's a cloud solution.

The stability needs to be improved.

The initial setup is relatively easy. Because it's a cloud solution, we didn't have to install anything. All we had to do was put on the devices we wanted to monitor.

We had a yearly license, and the pricing could be improved.

We looked into Zabbix and decided to switch to it.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor and would rate it at six on a scale from one to ten.

Ravi Khanchandani
    Founder Director at Techsa Services Pvt Ltd
    Reseller
    More application insight-based widgets
    • "The most valuable feature is application monitoring."
    • "I would like to see support for non-Windows or non-Microsoft domains, especially Apache and other non-Windows servers."

What is our primary use case?

We are solution providers and this is one of the monitoring solutions that we implement for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

SAM has altered the way monitoring is being looked at - from just being able to monitor CPU, Mem, Disk and network utilization levels we have moved to the next levels of finding out process related issues, service related issues and specific application related issues to identify root cause of performance issues.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is application monitoring. Already 1200 application monitoring templates exist with the Solarwinds SAM monitoring and the AppInsights for IIS, SQL, Exchange & AD.

What needs improvement?

I am looking for more application insight-based widgets with the service. They currently have them for IIS, SQL, Exchange, and Active Directory.

I would like to see additional application support for non-Windows servers. This would give us more flexibility in terms of monitoring customer applications.

I have been working with the SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor for about five years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Partner & Reseller for Solarwinds
    Download our free Server Monitoring Report and find out what your peers are saying about SolarWinds, Microsoft, Oracle, and more!