Sentry OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sentry is the #1 ranked solution in top Debugging tools and #14 ranked solution in APM tools. PeerSpot users give Sentry an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Sentry is most commonly compared to Datadog: Sentry vs Datadog. Sentry is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 50% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2023

What is Sentry?

Sentry’s real-time error tracking gives you insight into production deployments and information to reproduce and fix crashes.

Sentry Customers

Dropbox, Airbnb, Stripe, Uber

Sentry Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Sentry pricing:
  • "Currently, we are in the production phase of our project and we are on free plans to use Sentry. Once we go live we will have to be on a subscription-based plan."
  • "I am currently using a self-hosted open version."
  • "We are currently paying through Cloudera for the Sentry service."
  • Sentry Reviews

Jesuseyi Will Fasuyi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Software Engineer (Data) at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Great at tracking error logs; provides a rich context with regards to the code and tracing issues
    • "Great for capturing application performance metrics and error logs."
    • "Lacks user metric tracking and the ability to create more dashboards."

What is our primary use case?

I use Sentry for internal applications from our front end to our back end code and to capture past services, tracing, calls, and the time it takes to process requests and updates. We're integrating with Gib so from the code base side of things we can trace changes, bottlenecks, etc. I'm a senior software engineer.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has enabled us to improve our request processing which has resulted in a huge improvement in productivity and turnaround time for fixing bugs and the like.

What is most valuable?

Tracking error logs is a great feature because Sentry provides a rich context with regards to the code and tracing issues across the entire stack with trace logs and things like that. It's great at capturing application performance metrics and error logs, things of that nature.

What needs improvement?

Sentry is more like an application mind trying APM platforms as opposed to also tracking analytics and things like that. It would be nice to have one solution as opposed to using two or three different solutions. I'd like to see user metric tracking, and the ability to create more dashboards for exactly what you want to monitor and see. It's already possible but you have to pay more for it. What Sentry lacks are user-tracking elements like traces.

Application Performance Management (APM)
    February 2023
    Find out what your peers are saying about Sentry, Datadog, Microsoft and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: February 2023.
    672,411 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using this solution for 10 months.

I think it's pretty stable because I think we have a good review process and because it's open source. Sentry accepts feedback and there's an open-tier version that has a lot of capabilities.

I haven't tried scaling but it's an SaaS product, so I'm betting that it is scalable. We have a development team of 25 who all use the solution and we have one person who deals with maintenance. We're likely to extend use of the solution because we're always trying to capture more metrics and more non-generic data about our applications.

We haven't needed to contact customer service, we just use their documentation which is sufficient for our needs.

I think the initial setup is pretty straightforward. We configured the agent ourselves.

I don't really think Sentry's that expensive because there's a lot in the open-source version. Once you fine-tune dashboards and things like that, is when you start thinking about moving to the paid version.

We looked at Datadog as well, but it was pretty much the same. The difference was that Sentry was a little cheaper because they have the open source option that comes with a lot of features already packed in.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to understand what you're trying to monitor in your performance because Sentry can provide a lot of information. I rate this solution nine out of 10.

Roseline Christopher - PeerSpot reviewer
    Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Leaderboard
    A good data protection solution for our clients and projects
    • "The solution is user-friendly."
    • "The price could be lowered."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy CyberArk for some companies and projects. So, for example, if a company wants to protect its data, the CyberArk PAM solution can be implemented. So, in that case, we take that project and implement it. So, we don't go with the old Sentry because we have implemented a new PAM solution. We deploy the solution both on-premises and in the cloud.

The solution has two primary use cases. First, there are two different certifications, Defender and Sentry, in CyberArk. Sentry is how to deploy the PAM solution into the existing environment. For example, for all the privileged accounts, there's an administrative account, administrative access to the AD accounts and domain accounts, dash share accounts, etcetera.

If someone needs to make changes in the admin server, they must request access, and the records will go to the server owner or domain control owner, who needs to approve that access. Additionally, there is threat analysis for the suspected activity that will be triggered to another system. So, the session, which got connected to the servers, will be terminated at that particular time. Once a suspect alert is generated, the session will be terminated and no longer be connected to the server and no longer have access to the server.

What is most valuable?

The solution is user-friendly, and this is very valuable.

What needs improvement?

The integration could be improved, and the price could be lowered.

We have been using the solution for six months.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

We have not had experience with customer service and support.

There are two options for the initial setup, JumpStart server and customized setup. If someone doesn't have a high-level architect, then CyberArk would help with the JumpStart server because they have everything pre-planned and don't need to customize anything. A smaller company will take three months to onboard the entire PAM solution. We would need a minimum of three months for an entry-level company.

Implementation was via a vendor team.

There is a return on investment.

The license is quite expensive, but it is worth the price.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution an eight out of ten. The solution is good, but the integration with dashboards could be improved.

Application Performance Management (APM)
    February 2023
    672,411 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Immánuel Fodor - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Technology Officer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Leaderboard
    An excellent visibility tool helpful for web application monitoring
    • "It's a great visibility tool for the developer team."
    • "The settings for an administrator are complex."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is web application monitoring and providing developers access to live error logs, error tracing, and some metrics without providing them real-time production access. So it's a great visibility tool for the developer team.

What is most valuable?

We find the feature of cause-stack information integrated with the Git repository valuable, which provides contextual information. So, for example, if a line was faulty or triggered an error, it identifies the SQL query that had been run or what values the variables in that context had. Hence, the context and insight it provides about the errors are vital features.

What needs improvement?

The settings for an administrator are complex. For example, the distinction between teams and the global Sentry settings needs to be clarified where the boundaries are. Also, from the administrative perspective, the UX experience should be improved visually.

We have been using the solution for seven years and are currently using the latest version.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. We had no issues with it.

We have not needed to contact customer service and support.

The initial setup from the UI perspective is not difficult. The default settings work well from the administrative perspective. For example, from the DevOps perspective, they need to set it up as an application on the server side. They found some challenges and part of Sentry is Kafka, an event message queue. Kafka and Zookeeper manage Kafka as the core part of Sentry, administering these parts and not filling up the hard drives with the event-tracing data. Hence, they are some challenges with it. From the UI perspective, I rate the initial setup process a ten out of ten. From a system administrator standpoint, I rate it a four out of ten.

We set it up in-house in our infrastructure, and two or three internal system administrators manage it.

We did not need to pay for licensing because we used the open-source version.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution a ten out of ten. The solution is good, but the UX experience could be improved.

Software Engineering Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Accurate error reports, trouble-free management, and easy installation
    • "Sentry is more accurate than some other tools such as Datadog because it has more integration with Slack, GitLab, Jira, or other ticketing tools."
    • "The log centralization and analysis could be improved in Sentry."

What is our primary use case?

My main use case for Sentry is to catch front-end or back-end application errors and report them.

How has it helped my organization?

Sentry allowed us to be more proactive and also enhance your app's observability.
    Its native integrations with JIRA and Slack  saved us precious time.

What is most valuable?

For our very use case, Sentry is more accurate than some other tools such as Datadog thanks to its integration with Slack, GitLabJira, or other ticketing tools, error and performance reports as well as its easy to integrate with AWS Lambda (NodeJS).

The error management is very good. For example, If you have an error that occurred in the frontend or a backend application, then Sentry will catch all contexts and will create an event log.

What needs improvement?

While using Sentry I have to manually create an issue when it occurs by clicking in Jira or GitLab. This process should be automated or an option that could be defined to automatically create an issue preventing the need to do it manually.

I have been using this solution for approximately three years.

We have not experienced any issues with stability with the solution.

The scalability is good.

We have not used technical support. However, we have used the community support forums online which was helpful.

The installation is easy. We are using the standard integration of the solution.

We did the implementation ourselves. There is enough documentation for us to do the setup and to start debugging.

Sentry free plan allow to setup project in early stages and to switch to paid plans once the project goes live.

I have evaluated Datadog.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Sentry a ten out of ten.

Gustavo Santos Thiago - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Software Engineer at OLX
    Excellent scalability, with great features, however more customization is needed
    • "The stability is very good for Sentry and in general works well."
    • "I would like to have alert policies and alert conditions enhanced in the next release."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case has been in front-end and in back-end applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature I have found is how easy grouping events is.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the ability to customize events and get more metrics for these customized events. We have another service Kibana from ELK and you can generate charts with your events. In Sentry, you can group events, and you can marry them but you cannot generate customized charts and views based on your events. I also would like to have alert policies and alert conditions enhanced in the next release.

I have been using Sentry for four years.

The stability is very good for Sentry and in general works well. We have forty or fifty engineers.

Scalability is not a problem in my particular use case. We have fifty million users every month.

Since we are using the open-source option the documentation is sufficient for our current needs.

I used Tech Drive when I was working with Google Cloud. I used Prometheus for integration with Grafana to get metrics and we used it as a pulling and a pushing mode to send information from applications to the server of Prometheus.

The initial setup of a server, I think is alright. It is not very easy, but it is okay.
    If you chose the open-source version, you need a self-hosted server.  In that case, it is more difficult.

I am currently using a self-hosted open version.

I believe the integration of New Relic with alerting software is much better than Sentry.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Sentry a seven out of ten.

Sayyed Aadil - PeerSpot reviewer
    Hadoop Admin at Tata Consultancy
    Allows us to create and assign rules and give access to data to particular users
    • "The most valuable feature is the ability to create and assign rules and give access to particular users."
    • "We cannot restrict particular columns on particular data. It would be helpful if that feature was improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are in banking, so we need a lot of protected data. Sentry allows us to restrict users from accessing certain data.

It's deployed on-premises, and we have multiple servers.

There are eight people in our team, and they all use Sentry. We have another team of six people who are also using it.

We have plans to increase usage in the future.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to create and assign rules and give access to particular users.

What needs improvement?

We cannot restrict particular columns on particular data. It would be helpful if that feature was improved.

I have used Sentry for a year and a half.

It's stable. We haven't had any issues.

It's scalable. We can scale up to a particular limit.

I would rate technical support 3.5 out of 5.

Initial setup is straightforward. We haven't had any major issues. We used three people for installation.

We installed Sentry ourselves. We followed the guidelines provided by Sentry for installation.

We have seen ROI.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as eight out of ten.

My advice is to follow Cloudera's guidelines to install Sentry.

Bigdata / Hadoop Admin
    Time proven, extremely reliable with no errors, and thousands of users
    • "The most valuable feature we have found with Sentry is the security that it provides."
    • "I would like to see a role registration feature added."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for user access to a particular database of specific tables. We are using the Sentry privileges feature.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a role registration feature added. I would like to see Sentry integrated with the cloud platforms that are currently on the market.

I have been using Sentry for the past three years.

The stability is good and since I have been using it I have found no system errors.

I have not currently tried the scalability of Sentry but we have two thousand users involved on daily basis accessing the tables and databases.

I did the setup of Sentry for the Cloudera manager and it was easy. It has a built-in feature that we have to click and install.

We are currently paying through Cloudera for the Sentry service.

What other advice do I have?

Sentry provides excellent security when it comes to tables and databases. I would rate Sentry an eight out of ten.

Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Sentry, Datadog, Microsoft, and more!
    Updated: February 2023