IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

SentinelOne Vigilance OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SentinelOne Vigilance is #7 ranked solution in MDR Services. PeerSpot users give SentinelOne Vigilance an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. SentinelOne Vigilance is most commonly compared to Secureworks Taegis ManagedXDR: SentinelOne Vigilance vs Secureworks Taegis ManagedXDR. SentinelOne Vigilance is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 42% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Managed Detection and Response (MDR) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is SentinelOne Vigilance?

Reduce time to protection and minimize risk exposure with continuous threat monitoring and response from SentinelOne.

SentinelOne Vigilance Customers
Norwegian Airlines, TGI Fridays, AVX, FIMBank
SentinelOne Vigilance Video

SentinelOne Vigilance Reviews

Senior Security Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Protects and manages endpoints, and has behavioral analytics and machine learning features, but deployment is a challenge
  • "Stable solution for protecting, deploying, and managing endpoints, and comes with valuable features such as behavioral analytics and machine learning."
  • "There's no problem with how this product works, but the toughest challenge that customers find is with its deployment and tuning. Getting it tuned properly takes some time. You can deploy it with just about anything, but it's always a challenge."

What is our primary use case?

SentinelOne Vigilance is being used mostly for endpoint protection, endpoint deployment, and some endpoint management.

How has it helped my organization?

Most of our customers are moving away from traditional signature-based antivirus because it's not enough. They're moving to solutions, e.g. SentinelOne Vigilance, that have machine learning included, so that machine learning function adds a tremendous amount of value to our customers, simply because it adds that extra layer of security by providing machine learning and behavior analytics.

What is most valuable?

Most of the next-generation anti-virus products, including SentinelOne Vigilance, have behavior analytics included, and this is the feature I find most valuable in the solution. Behavior analytics is the direction most of the NGAVs are heading, e.g. if they don't have it, that's where they're going: UBA (user behavior analytics) and UEBA (user and entity behavior analytics).

I also find the machine learning function of this solution valuable, as it provides an extra layer of security for our customers.

What needs improvement?

Every product has room for improvement. I can't single out anything within SentinelOne Vigilance that would need to be updated or improved, only because I haven't used it in a while.

For the most part, there's no problem with how SentinelOne Vigilance works, but the toughest challenge that customers find is with the deployment and tuning of the product. Getting it tuned properly takes some time, so that's a challenge. You can deploy the product with just about anything, but deployment is always a challenge.

An additional feature I'd like to see across the board, in the next release of SentinelOne Vigilance, is more integration with artificial intelligence. I'd like to see more integration with SIEM and/or SOAR solutions. I'd also like to see better event formatting, so if they can format their events using CEF (common event formatting), that would be fantastic. These are the top three or four additional features I'd like to see.

I'd also like to see predictive analytics. The market isn't there yet, with the exception of Carbon Black, but predictive analytics would be phenomenal. We'll get there in the next five to 10 years, e.g. that market is going to explode here in the next few years.

As we build more artificial intelligence into all these products, including endpoint protection, we're going to be able to predict the type of attack. It's not just malware. It's this type of attack, and they're going to know what it is, but that'll come in time.

Managed Detection and Response (MDR)
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about SentinelOne, Dell Technologies, CrowdStrike and others in Managed Detection and Response (MDR). Updated: July 2022.
622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've worked with SentinelOne Vigilance for five years now.

SentinelOne Vigilance and some of the top tier NGAVs are really stable. Now they've all reached the point where most of the customers that we work with trust and like them, and they work out of the box. SentinelOne Vigilance is a stable solution.

We work with everything from the small mom-and-pop stores, all the way up to the enterprise. I don't work with enough of the enterprise customers to understand what they have deployed on the endpoint, e.g. it may be SentinelOne Vigilance, or it may be something else, but scalability feels high if you had to deploy it.

Most of the people have moved away from Kaspersky just because of who they are, and potentially Symantec after the Broadcom acquisition. These people may have moved to SentinelOne Vigilance, or to other AVs. We do see a lot of movement in the endpoint AV customer side, simply because there's a lot to choose from in the market, e.g. this product or other similar products.

Another reason for people switching is that newer technologies are coming out in endpoint protection solutions, e.g. machine learning, artificial intelligence, UEBA, etc. Some customers, especially the smaller shops that are nimble and can move quickly, they might look at a new, sensational technology on endpoint security, and move away from whatever it is they currently have. The larger enterprises are a lot slower to move, so they usually take a lot longer to decide which direction to go, and when they do, they usually sign a three-year contract or more, and they'll stick with it.

The initial setup for SentinelOne Vigilance was straightforward. They made it easy on the front end.

What other advice do I have?

Most of the next-generation antivirus (NGAV) solutions, I have a lot of experience with.

We're using an older version of SentinelOne Vigilance, e.g. we're not using it internally, so we don't have the latest version, but some of our customers who I work with are using it. I'm not sure what version they're using, but it's been a while so they could be using old versions of it.

We're using Microsoft Azure as the cloud provider for this solution.

The deployment of SentinelOne Vigilance was challenging. How long the deployment would take depends on the environment. A small SMB on-premises environment doesn't take long to deploy: You can wrap it up in a GPO package and deploy it. The process is usually straightforward and simple, and it doesn't take long, but when you get into the larger enterprise and you have a hybrid solution and multiple locations, that's when it can become a little sticky.

SentinelOne Vigilance is deployed on the endpoint, so everybody in the organization, no matter which role, is using it. The product is also deployed on IT worker endpoints.

Deployment and maintenance of this solution depends on the size of the organization. There are the smaller SMB customers that we have, e.g. if they're not doing it themselves, they've got a MSP that's deploying it directly, and I'm not sure about the work effort there, but you wrap it up in a package, send it out through a GPO, then it's easy to deploy. You can also use a third-party, e.g. ManageEngine and Quest make great products, so you can deploy SentinelOne Vigilance in any way, but it's going to depend on the size of the organization.

I don't know where this product sits in the market. I know it's in the top 10. I haven't looked recently, but I say this because we have so many vendors. We have 1,600 vendors that we work with here, but I know SentinelOne Vigilance is a top tier AV (antivirus). So as far as our usage goes, when our customers come to us, they're usually looking for something specific with regards to any endpoint security or endpoint protection. If they're not, I don't know how often this product gets recommended because I'm not on the pre-sales or front-end side of that. I'm on the engineering side, so I don't know which products they recommend. I don't know if SentinelOne Vigilance is one of the products where they'll go "Hey, try this one. It's great."

I have no idea about the technical support for this product, as I haven't tried contacting them.

I don't have information about the licensing cost or pricing for this solution, because I'm not on the sales side. I see a lot of people now moving toward Microsoft Defender because they've really done a great job in just the past couple of years, and that's rolled into their E3, E4, or E5 licensing. Sometimes there's cost savings when you bundle Microsoft Defender with other Microsoft products. As for standalone AV on the endpoint, I don't know where SentinelOne Vigilance fits price-wise. People are migrating away from Symantec, SAP, Kaspersky, and some other legacy AVs and moving towards newer AVs, but I don't know if that's because of the costs or not.

The advice I would give to others looking into potentially implementing this product is to always bring it in-house and do a pilot. That's the biggest advice I can give, e.g. you need to test drive a car before you buy it.

I haven't done anything on the ROI side, and that's hard to nail down, but there might be some market data out there on ROI. People don't usually make a change unless they believe there's going to be some improvement.

I don't know where SentinelOne Vigilance is on the market, but I know it's top 10 or top tier, so I'm giving this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Managing Member at Pender & Associates
It just works and has not been breached
  • "The most valuable feature is that it works and isn't compromised. Other solutions I have used have all been compromised and SentinelOne is the only one that hasn't been compromised as far as I understand."
  • "The only thing I'm not sure about is I haven't deployed it on any mobile devices."

What is our primary use case?

Ransomware protection

Malware protection

Anti-Virus

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it works and is reliable. Other solutions I have researched have all been breached, and as far as I can establish, SentinelOne is the only one that has not been breached.

I have been using SentinelOne for the past two years.

It's very stable.

As SentinelOne is automated, operates in the background and in real-time, some of our clients were not even aware that they were attacked, encrypted and rolled back.  Their business carried on without any interruptions.

The scalability is excellent.

Very efficient on the use of PC resourcess.

Our clients are mainly niche clients.

We very seldom needed to use technical support.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We haven't used solutions with actual endpoint security, just antivirus software but not proper endpoint detection and response.

We needed an EDR System that would provide the best cyber security & protection to our customers.

Suject to T&Cs, SentinelOne offers a warranty of up to $1,000,000 USD against ransomware.

It's very easy and there's no setup for the clients to do either. It's all deployed from the cloud and there's nothing to do on-site.

In-house depolyment to remote clients

I think the pricing is reasonable because it does what it says. You may be able to get some cheaper products, but if they don't protect you then it's actually pointless. You're wasting money. Rather pay for something that provides protection.

Webroot, ESET, Crowdstriike as well as others.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution is to contact me at CyberSec@global.co.za.

I would rate SentinelOne a nine ten out of ten.

Their documentation is good.

Private Cloud
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Managed Security Services Provider
Managed Detection and Response (MDR)
July 2022
622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jose Nunes - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of IT and Communications at Sonangol
Beneficial support, effective detection, but difficult to upgrade
  • "SentinelOne Vigilance has very good detection."
  • "When upgrades are required on the server, you need to almost remove SentinelOne Vigilance completely off the system. We put SentinelOne Vigilance on silence for the monitor mode, but we were having trouble upgrading the server. I had to remove SentinelOne Vigilance completely from the server, but that meant that all the previous logs of attacks I wanted to look at on the server were gone. This is one thing they need to improve, they need better compatibility with the Microsoft Windows service. I should not have to remove the agent completely to upgrade the service."

What is most valuable?

SentinelOne Vigilance has very good detection.

What needs improvement?

I have been using SentinelOne Vigilance for approximately eight months.

The solution is stable. However, it used to be slow and they fixed the issues.

SentinelOne Vigilance is scalable.

The technical support was good for SentinelOne Vigilance.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is this is a solid product.

I rate SentinelOne Vigilance a seven out of ten.

Download our free Managed Detection and Response (MDR) Report and find out what your peers are saying about SentinelOne, Dell Technologies, CrowdStrike, and more!
Updated: July 2022