IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

SAP Cloud Platform OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP Cloud Platform is #5 ranked solution in top Integration Platform as a Service providers and #11 ranked solution in PaaS Services. PeerSpot users give SAP Cloud Platform an average rating of 8 out of 10. SAP Cloud Platform is most commonly compared to Amazon AWS: SAP Cloud Platform vs Amazon AWS. SAP Cloud Platform is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 33% of all views.
SAP Cloud Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP Cloud Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is SAP Cloud Platform?

SAP HANA Cloud Platform powers applications that deliver real-time insights to drive more effective and timely decision making. The product promises to accelerate analytics, business processes, sentiment data processing, and predictive capabilities.

SAP Cloud Platform was previously known as SAP HANA Cloud Platform.

SAP Cloud Platform Customers

Siemens, Shell & Volkswagen, Still, EarlySense, Roche, National Football League, Heidelberg University Hospital, In Mind Computing, The Timken Company, OPAL, EnterpriseJungle, Groupe Danone, Accenture, T-Systems, Sailing Team Germany, Sloan Valve

SAP Cloud Platform Video

SAP Cloud Platform Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP Cloud Platform pricing:
"SAP offers yearly, subscription-based, and pay-as-you-use licensing."

SAP Cloud Platform Reviews

Shylaraj AK - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Architect at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to maintain, great features, and helpful support
  • "It’s easy to maintain, as everything is handled by SAP."
  • "The current pricing model is credit-based. We would like to have more information about the usage of the existing applications."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for our mobile services mainly, and we have a full SAP Integration Suite.

How has it helped my organization?

SAP Cloud Platform has got a lot of new developments and innovative capabilities. Earlier, we used to have development with limited tools on-premise. After SAP Cloud Platform, which is currently known as SAP Business Technology Platform, it has got a different indication. For example, the analytics are on the cloud and it has got development interfaces. It has got intelligent technologies in different areas. We use all these innovative capabilities which SAP provides, and we develop our system and our applications based on that.

What is most valuable?

Technical support is helpful. We are in contact with them often. The solution is stable. It’s easy to maintain, as everything is handled by SAP. The scalability is good. We’re happy with all of the features on offer.

What needs improvement?

The current pricing model is credit-based. We would like to have more information about the usage of the existing applications. That could improve. Recently, SAP has introduced login, more of a free trial where you can trial and error, so you can try something without paying any subscriptions, so that's good. So similar, more applications can be hosted on free trial so that people can try them first, and then if they like it, then they can go for it.
SAP Cloud Platform
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about SAP Cloud Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I’ve been using the solution for three years.

The performance is pretty good and it's also stable. We don't have any downtime.

It's completely managed by SAP, so you don't have to worry about the scalability part. You can just deploy your subaccounts and SAP would be managing the infrastructure and all the storage, networking, and everything. We will be able to just deploy applications and manage without having to worry about sizing. Currently, we have around 30 users using it for development integration and different purposes. They are actually working on it. On the other side, the user point of it is around a thousand plus users on the application side. Slowly, there are more and more products being introduced in the SAP Business Technology Platform, that's the Cloud Platform. We have a lot of systems running on-premise as well, and here is where you have the possibility to increase usage. Sometimes your on-premise systems will come to the end of life. You don't have to upgrade those systems which are running on-premise. Instead, you can migrate your application to the SAP Cloud Platform and start using the solutions which are provided by SAP. From that point of view, you don't have to do any system administration. You don't have to do any hardware maintenance. It will be completely managed basically. From our side, slowly the usage would be increased, for sure.

We are a premier partner and have a premium account for SAP. We do have biweekly calls with the SAP account managers and SAP to promote the product, as and when needed. For example, currently, we have a lot of applications are running on the SAP data center. It's called Neo data center and SAP is slowly reducing the usage of the SAP data center SAP is encouraging to move to the multi-cloud. It's called Cloud Foundry, the Cloud Foundry open-source platform where you can do the developments in all the different hyperscalers. SAP is helping us to do the migration from the Neo platform, that is the SAP data center, to the Cloud Foundry data center.

We had all the systems running on-premise. However, when the SAP Cloud Platform was introduced, then we started using the native solutions and native applications provided by SAP. You have the possibility to connect the backend systems which are running on-premise using SAP cloud connector. This is the kind of usage, that we started with when using the SAP Cloud Platform for the first time and we have been pretty happy.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward and SAP has got a lot of YouTube videos where they explain how to configure different applications or subaccounts and how to integrate with the backend systems. With a lot of SAP-provided YouTube videos, it’s easy. We have slowly started deployment. W haven't gone for a big bang approach. Also, we have started using the Business Technology Platform, the SAP cloud applications. We have developed some small applications. Once we are quite familiar with it, then we will migrate the SAP applications from the cloud. We’re going nice and slow. There is no maintenance needed on our side. It's completely managed by SAP and the deployment of the applications is pretty fast. You have a different environment where you do the development and your production, so you will use the subaccount server. You can do the developments in the development subaccount, then you can transport them to the production subaccount. It's super easy.

We have a service provider. We use a third-party service and we have a native team who is supporting this application. We have an in-house team as well. At the same time, we have gotten pretty good help from SAP’s side.

I don't have the details about pricing. It's been managed by a different contract team. We have only the user-based information, and the technical information. The cost part is managed by a different team. It's a subscription. You just subscribe to whatever services you want and you get certain credits upfront. For example, when you get a first-time account, and if you choose the SAP Cloud Platform, then SAP would be providing certain credits. That credit would be reduced based on your usage. At the end of the month, you will come to know how much credit is left for you, then you can just increase or start using

We did not look at other options. Currently, we have a lot of dependency on the SAP product as we have 25 different SAP products running.

What other advice do I have?

SAP Cloud Platform is an online platform, so it's getting updated all the time. There is no particular version. We have a multi-cloud provider. In the SAP Cloud Platform, you can choose different hyperscalers according to your requirements. We have a few subaccounts running in SAP data centers and a few subaccounts running in Azure. SAP has got a new program called RISE with SAP. For the RISE with SAP program, it's everything in a single contract with SAP. You don't have to have a different contract for different products. SAP would be hosting the infrastructure and you have the possibility to choose the hyperscalers. You can choose which hyperscaler you want to run your systems and the RISE with SAP program includes SAPs Cloud Platform. With that program, SAP is encouraging new greenfield implementations and for us, more customers. Also, they have plans for integrating with bigger customers as well. They have different options for this RISE with the SAP program. So that would be really nice if any new organization needs pitching into or trying to get in with the SAP Cloud Platform. RISE with SAP is the first thing that they have to go with. SAP will come and they'll cover all the information, whatever is needed. I’d rate the solution nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: partners
SAP Solution Lead for US,Canada and Latam at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up and expand with lots of great features
  • "The solution has a lot of great features."
  • "When they innovate too fast, they end up confusing their customers."

What is our primary use case?

We are not using SAP, however, we will provide SAP implementation and operation services.

There are various use cases. You take the common processes, finance, supply chain, procurement, then some kind of your HR, and processes like asset maintenance. It can be used there. When it comes to an individual industry like manufacturing, logistics, or the sales processes areas, in the current versions of SAP, those use cases are a little bit more open-ended for the larger customers.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a lot of great features. It's great to use for procurement processes and cash management tasks - including bank communication.

Consolidation and group reporting are helpful.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The solution can scale well.

What needs improvement?

In the planning area, IBP is there, however, with IBP still, there are a lot of customizations we need to do. There are integration areas we need to improve, and IBP processes also. IBP is a little bit of a closed process.

If you see the SAP product span, there are so many cloud versions. It is good as an add-on, or to plug in all of them. If that was possible, to plug them all together, that would be good. When it comes to giving a license BOM, there is so much confusion about that. For example, why there are so many items added to that? They could simplify it a bit, or create one cloud product instead of three or four different licenses. They can eliminate more than 20% or 30% of the BOM component, which currently SAP is doing as a separate line item.

Reporting is confusing. There are three or four areas. One is the 4HANA SAP, then BPC reporting. It's too much. The customers do not have that much knowledge in order to choose for themselves the best way to approach reports and so they are getting confused. At least in the near future, they have to start standardizing the way S4 is standardized now.

When they innovate too fast, they end up confusing their customers.

I've been working on the solution for the last 13 years.

While the stability is good, when there is no proper data modeling, when that happens, it can be unstable.

The solution is very scalable.

We've been happy with technical support.

Positive

The initial setup is pretty simple. The time it takes to deploy depends on the client and the environment, however.

You need customer buy-in and for them to earn the system a bit as well. Many don't want to change right away. Many are working with legacy systems. For a medium to small setup it shouldn't take more than six or seven months to deploy fully.

The amount of people you will need for deployment and maintenance also varies. If a company is into manufacturing, logistics, sales, service, finance, HR, supply chain, planning, asset maintenance - if they have all the processes - then it will need around 15 different people. Not all of them will be required for hte full six months, however, you'll need someone from each area involved at some point.

We are implementors. We implement SAP on behalf of customers.

Their enterprise management has standard pricing. This means whatever you use, the cost will be, almost more or less the same, however, there are other components where it depends on the volumes of your business. The licensing model for each application is different, not all of them follow the same model.

What other advice do I have?

We are the gold partners with SAP.

I'm an enterprise architect.

I'd recommend the solution to others. It works across various departments.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: partner/integrator
SAP Cloud Platform
June 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Andres_Giraldo - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Useful ANA replications, easy to set up, and offers an ROI
  • "The HANA replications are very useful."
  • "When I started looking at the client's IT architecture, I started by doing a study of their services, DVM, data volume, and management services. According to the results, they could be a lot better at this."

What is our primary use case?

The main purpose is migration. Right now, clients are migrating from hosting services in a private cloud to SAP services in the cloud.

We just sell the service to clients. I understand the architecture and I’m able to propose an architecture to clients.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a client that had an AIX and we’ve put in a proposal to migrate those services to Linux with a cyber database. We will use GCP migration tools to do that.

What is most valuable?

The HANA replications are very useful.

What needs improvement?

We’d like the product to be like a web service and allow us to download an application on the computer to operate the systems.

I’ve used the solution since 1998. It’s been a long while. I’ve used it in the past 12 months.

The solution is easy to scale. We have clients that have from 500 all the way up to 4,000 users. The majority are ERP users. The majority of the clients we work with use SAP as their core business solution. They increase the use depending on their business needs.

We previously only used solutions that were deployed in-house. In terms of corporate solutions, I’ve only mainly dealt with SAP.

The initial setup was pretty simple. I’d rate it four out of five in terms of ease of deployment. It’s very user-friendly, which makes it straightforward.

I don’t directly work on the implementation. I work in presales developing the architecture.

How many people you need to deploy and maintain the solution depends on the landscape. It varies.

An integrator handled the initial setup.

We have seen an ROI. I’d rate it at a four out of five in terms of the return a user can expect.

The prices are very similar from solution to solution. Microsoft Dynamics, however, is cheaper than SAP or Oracle. While SAP is expensive, it is a very good product.

We did look at Oracle e-Business Suite. I know a bit about it, however, my knowledge is not that deep.

What other advice do I have?

I’m a cloud architect. I’m in pre-sales. My company is a partner with SAP.

I’d advise potential users to use the most standard version of SAP services and to use older S/4 HANA services.

SAP solutions are pretty good as long as they are standard solutions and do not have a lot of data.

We’re using the latest version of the solution. I don’t know the exact version number.

We use private, public, and hybrid clouds. I work with various clouds, including AWS, Azure, and IBM.

I’d rate the solution an eight out of ten. It fulfills our client’s business needs.

Other
Chief Executive Officer at Asis
Easy to use with a fast deployment and straightforward setup
  • "The solution can scale."
  • "While it was good for a small entity, it was not ideal for a large enterprise."

What is our primary use case?

The team was using it internally as a sort-of demo. It was collecting the results instead of the customer doing it himself.

They came in the beginning and said it's easy to implement. The solution was good for both very little or lots of development.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use and the fast deployment times were what the team really liked about the product.

The setup was straightforward.

The solution can scale.

It's very stable.

What needs improvement?

While it was good for a small entity, it was not ideal for a large enterprise.

I don't recall dealing with a lack of features.

I used the solution for about a year.

The stability was good. There were no bugs or glitches and it didn't crash or freeze.

The solution can scale. That's not an issue.

We had ten users on the product.

For us, we used it as a test environment and did not use the solution extensively.

We were only demoing the product and therefore did not really use technical support.

The team was also familiar with Oracle Cloud Platform.

The solution was easy to set up. It wasn't overly complex or difficult. I'd rate it at a five out of five in terms of ease of setup. It was very simple.

It took us about two weeks to get everything up and running. We were able to do a demo with the customer as well.

We had two users for the deployment and had maybe three or four people handling any maintenance requirements.

We handled the entire implementation in-house. We did not need any assistance from any outside consultants or integrators.

It is possible to get an ROI if you use this solution.

I'm not sure what the licensing costs were. However, it wasn't overly expensive. I'd rate it 3.5 out of five in terms of affordability.

I'm not sure if other options were looked at.

What other advice do I have?

We weren't really a customer or a partner. We were testing the product.

I was not the person directly using the solution. It was used a year ago in my company. I was collecting the opinions from the team who's using such a thing against other computation options like Oracle or DataMix.

For security purposes, we used the on-premises deployment.

My advice to anyone who is doing such a thing right now is not to listen to the old reputation of SAP in terms of complexity and difficulty in deployment. We fast-tracked. We didn't use many resources. We didn't have the complexity. In my opinion, they should try it at least for a testing period. SAP is famous for one thing, which didn't change, which is its stability.

I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Process Integration Tech Lead at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Excellent technical support, user-friendly, and easy to set up
  • "It’s great that we have the entire suite of SAP at our fingertips."
  • "I can’t speak to features that may be missing."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for integration purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

It has facilitated integration with SAP and other products.

What is most valuable?

I’m not sure what the most valuable feature is for my team. It works.

It’s great that we have the entire suite of SAP at our fingertips.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It integrates well with our other SAP solutions.

It’s very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I can’t speak to features that may be missing.

I’ve been using the solution for around 10 years. I’ve used this solution in the past 12 months.

It is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn’t crash or freeze. It’s reliable. It performs well.

Scalability is not a problem. We have around 100 users and they are all integrators.

It’s extensively being used in the company.

Technical support has been excellent.

Positive

I did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It’s simple and straightforward.

I’d rate the ease of setup at a four out of five.

The deployment itself was so long ago. I'm not the product owner of that infrastructure. I don't have details with me in regards to how long it took or what steps were involved.

I’m not sure how many staff members we need for maintenance.

We handled the implementation in-house with our own team. We didn’t need the help of consultants or integrators.

We get a good ROI. I’d rate it as four out of five.

I don’t have any details in regard to pricing.

We did evaluate other options. For example, as I recall, we looked into Oracle as an option. I don’t recall if there were others. It was a long time ago. We chose SAP as it integrated well with our other SAP solutions.

What other advice do I have?

SAP is one of our vendors. We have a workshop with them. Then we have direct communication with them.

I manage a team. I don't use it directly. I manage a team that uses it. I’m not sure what version we are on. However, it is always the latest version or the previous version of the product.

I’d rate the solution nine out of ten. It’s very easy to use and integrate, especially with other SAP solutions.

Other
Senior Services Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly with good clarity provided on the dashboard
  • "The dashboard provides pretty good clarity."
  • "Lacks flexibility in its licensing structure."

What is our primary use case?

The use case of this product varies according to the customer's needs, but we generally implement it when a customer is looking for a complete SaaS-based model without the need for infrastructure. It saves them from having to take care of any facilities including a data center, redundancy layers, and administration. We are resellers and I'm a service architect.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard gives pretty good clarity of what's happening and what needs to be done.

What needs improvement?

SAP offers very little flexibility in its licensing structure. That said, most of our customers are okay with the price points and we have closed about 50 mid-sized customers with SAP Cloud Platform.

The solution is stable.

This is an SaaS based model, so scalability is fine.

The initial setup is straightforward. In terms of maintenance, we operate on a model of shared services so there is no set number of people involved. It changes depending on the need.

Licensing costs are reasonable and based on the space you're purchasing. There is an annual license fee.

What other advice do I have?

There are several companies with products in this area and each one has its own unique structure and features, so it's difficult to compare them. It's a matter of choosing the one best suited to your needs.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner / Integrator
Antonio Valladares Fernandez - PeerSpot reviewer
Technological Partner at Code-10 IT Consultants SL
Pre-delivered content is a strength, but there aren't any easy migrations from SAP PO to SAP CPI
  • "The pre-delivered content from the SAP cloud platform is definitely a strength."
  • "The main problem is that there aren't any easy migrations from SAP PO to SAP CPI, so from process orchestration to cloud platform integration."

What is our primary use case?

I'm an integration architect, so I'm involved in implementations.

What is most valuable?

The pre-delivered content from the SAP cloud platform is definitely a strength. They are doing it, but it's still not a fully mature solution yet. So it's good for some business cases, but not for all of them.

What needs improvement?

The main problem is that there aren't any easy migrations from SAP PO to SAP CPI, so from process orchestration to cloud platform integration. The connectivity requirements, not only with the SAP environment but also with third party systems, are not fully fulfilled. The re-uses of the know-how from the process orchestration can be used but aren't fully used.

I have been using this solution for five years.

Technical support is good.

The setup of subclasses for integration is very easy. It's the cloud version, so they give you a username and password and it's done.

I was the consultant.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10.

I think it has room for improvement. They are doing it, but it's still not a fully mature solution yet. It's good for some business cases but not all of them.

Lead Engineer at EPAM Systems
Exhaustive, scalable, and functional

What is our primary use case?

SAP Cloud platform is primarily used as an overall cloud solution for enterprise.

What is most valuable?

SAP Cloud Platform's most valuable features are its exhaustiveness, scalability with minimum maintenance, and functionality.

What needs improvement?

The addition of more industry use cases would be an improvement. SAP could also try to make it more open-source, which would encourage community growth among developers, product owners, and the support team.

I've been working with SAP Cloud Platform for over three years.

SAP Cloud Platform is stable.

SAP's technical support sometimes takes longer to respond.

Neutral

The initial setup was pretty easy.

SAP Cloud Platform offers a good ROI for large enterprises.

SAP offers yearly, subscription-based, and pay-as-you-use licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I'd give SAP Cloud Platform a rating of eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: integrator
Download our free SAP Cloud Platform Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022