IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Radware Alteon OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Radware Alteon is #8 ranked solution in top Application Delivery Controllers. PeerSpot users give Radware Alteon an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. Radware Alteon is most commonly compared to F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM): Radware Alteon vs F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM). Radware Alteon is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 31% of all views.

Download the Application Delivery Controllers (ADC) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Radware Alteon?

Radware Alteon is an application delivery controller (ADC) solution that provides global load balancing for all web, cloud and mobile-based applications. The solution is designed to help your organization simplify operations while ensuring resilience and SLA. It manages application traffic across both data and cloud center locations, optimizing availability and performance. In addition, Radware Alteon integrates multiple application protection services to provide protection against an array of cyberthreats.

Radware Alteon Features

Radware Alteon has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Robust
  • Load-balancing reverse proxy
  • Stable
  • Flexible
  • Guaranteed application availability
  • Application aware traffic redirection capabilities
  • Faster web application response time
  • Application specific optimized configuration guides
  • Configuration templates
  • Built-in virtualization
  • Built-in application and network security

Radware Alteon Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Radware Alteon. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Flexible deployment options: Radware Alteon is deployable in a multitude of form factors, including on-premises, virtual, and cloud, and provides a consistent application delivery and security service in any application environment.
  • Automation scripts library: To support faster time to service for complex application delivery and security services, Alteon is supported by an extensive range of automation scripts library. This also enables seamless integration of Radware Alteon services into the DevOps CI/CD processes.
  • Integrated application protection: The solution offers comprehensive application protection via embedded WAF, bot management, threat intelligence, and API protection capabilities. This ensures application availability and helps to minimize false positives, as well as keep applications along with their data secure.
  • Actionable visibility: With Radware Alteon you can stay ahead of issues and threats. The solution provides real-time visibility and actionable insights for proactive management of application availability and security issues before the user experience is impacted.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the solution.

PeerSpot reviewer Jefe de implementaciones de Datos at RETO Industrial S.A. de. C.V., mentions, “The simple and well-documented configuration allows us to be able to implement new balancing services at the request of the user with the same conditions and good service that they expect. We can also make changes to services that are already running, as I mentioned before, the graphical interface is very intuitive and you can almost always make the most common changes quickly. Radware has been characterized by being extremely robust. This gives us the confidence to offer our users a continuous service.”

A director of consulting says, “The most valuable features are the load-balancing and reverse proxy. Global-load balancing as well is valuable. I also find it to be stable. To date, we have not had any issues with it.”

An SOC Specialist at a tech services company explains, “The interface is easy, it's friendly, and has good alerting. When you have a problem with a server, it will alert you. It is useful in many areas, especially for web applications and load balancing. It's something that the customer can see on the internet.”

Radware Alteon was previously known as Alteon.

Radware Alteon Customers

Convergys

Radware Alteon Video

Radware Alteon Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Radware Alteon pricing:
"It has a good price point and is more reasonable than other comparable products"

Radware Alteon Reviews

Santiago Castro - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Architect at a sports company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable, quick to deploy, and easy to implement
  • "The solution has been very stable."
  • "We’d like the solution to include more security features in the standard license."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is basically used for load balancing. We do build for load balancing as well. We have several load balancers in the physical and cloud space. We started using it for GTM and also use it for some iRules scripting and to modify the SDP draft.

How has it helped my organization?

It was way cheaper than F5, so that was the reason to move from F5 to Radware. In terms of value for money, maybe it's better. F5 is very good. However, it was really expensive. This solution is also quite good, yet costs much less.

What is most valuable?

It's quite a nice solution. It's like F5. They are very good products and are very easy to use. They're very powerful, you can do a lot of things with the scripting, and also even in the interface and the graphic interface, you can configure other things without going to the scripting, to the rules.

The initial setup is easy and it was quick to deploy.

The solution has been very stable.

What needs improvement?

Maybe there are a couple of things that didn't work very well. You kind of have the same build and different build for load balancers. It can create some issues. We faced issues where we needed to have some kind of the same balance in different environments. That happened with F5. However, in Radware, you can do it when we move to production and we need to change the balance there. Different environments should be able to have some balance to be completely isolated. That's something that they could really improve to make it really, really isolated.

Application Delivery Controllers (ADC)
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Radware, F5, Citrix and others in Application Delivery Controllers (ADC). Updated: July 2022.
621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We just acquired Radware in the last few months. IT’s been about eight months.

The solution is stable. In the last eight months since we migrated, we’ve had no big issues. Everything is working fine. There are no bugs or glitches, and it doesn’t crash or freeze.

The scalability is about licensing. You require more bandwidth and more throughput. To scale, it’s about acquiring more licensing. That’s about it.

For example, if you have a license of 30GBs of traffic and may need to support up to maybe 80GBs. You need to increase the license. You can kind of use it on demand, however. If you can change the license every three years, and you can see that your throughput is going to increase a lot, you can scale up.

We have about ten people on the solution currently. We do have plans to potentially increase usage in the future.

Technical support was okay. We opened a couple of tickets, it was okay. They were fast and they fixed the issues.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We just migrated to Radware from F5 APM. It’s quite new. It's really, really powerful. However, they are very good load balancers.

The setup is relatively straightforward. To do clustering is very easy. It's way easier than F5, I would say.

The deployment was quite fast. The problem was that migrating from F5 took a lot because we had to add the Windows in place and handle the service impact. That said, deploying is fast. If you are in the integration field and you don't have to migrate, it's pretty fast.

How many people you need to maintain the solution depends on the size. However, you might need four or five people.

There was a mix of personnel helping with the setup. I was doing it mostly myself. However, I had the help of professional services from Radware.

For the amount of traffic that we use, it's as good as F5 and way cheaper.

The pricing is much more reasonable than, for example, F5, our old solution.

I’m not sure how much the solution costs. However, my understanding is that it is moderately priced. I’d rate it a three out of five in terms of affordability. It’s not cheaper. However, it is less expensive than F5.

We checked in with Citrix as well. It was also good. In the end, we went to Radware.

What other advice do I have?

We’re just a customer.

We’re using one of the most recent versions of the solution.

It's a very good product, however, if it would work for your company would depend on your needs. It depends on the amount of traffic.

I’d rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Alberto Guerrero - PeerSpot reviewer
Jefe de implementaciones de Datos at RETO Industrial S.A. de. C.V.
User
Robust and simple with well-documented configurations
  • "Radware has been characterized by being extremely robust. This gives us the confidence to offer our users a continuous service."
  • "We recently had a problem with the tables Obsolete ARP which was observed by the support team. It would be good to diagnose and solve this problem with a patch since it is not documented that it will be solved in later updates."

What is our primary use case?

We use Alteon Radware to balance web page services hosted on real and virtual servers, these government portals must be available 100% of the time and must be accessible from the internet and intranet. In addition to the fact that we can add an extra layer of security (due to the use of virtual IP address and proxy IP address) When there is an impact on any of the servers, we receive an alert notification and we can attend to the impact on that server, for the end-user, this is indistinct since the service is not affected.

How has it helped my organization?

We have improved the user experience by having services available all the time, in addition to the fact that with this solution it is easier to manage from a graphical interface that is useful and intuitive, as an administrator it is important to have a clear and complete vision of the services that we operate. Simple troubleshooting tools have helped us solve problems faster and problems are more complex so analysis is complex so we asked for Radware support. This has helped us to identify exactly where the problems are in the network, correct faults, and continuous improvement.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We recently had a problem with the table's Obsolete ARP which was observed by the support team. It would be good to diagnose and solve this problem with a patch since it is not documented that it will be solved in later updates. The implementation of this service has been expanding to more of our clients, it is rare that we need to contact Radware support and even more rarely a call in real-time but we have found few technicians who give us support in Spanish, we could attend to the problems much faster if language barriers weren't an issue.

I used the solution two years ago.

The solution is extremely robust.

It is highly scalable.

99% of the time they have given us fast and efficient support.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Manual balancing tools and changes were made as a user might experience outages.

The initial setup was straightforward. It is well documented and we are free to do it via GUI or CLI.

We implemented this through an internal team, which is trained to do so thanks to the training tools provided by Radware.

We can offer automation in case of impact, which translates into time savings. I do not have the exact information of the ROI in terms of cash

The licensing processes are easy and the costs are acceptable. We use permanent licenses and we have not had any problems.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

They could improve the solution update processes to make it easier and faster.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners of Radware Alteon and we provide this solution to our customers
Application Delivery Controllers (ADC)
July 2022
621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director of consulting at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
A good load-balancing reverse proxy for internal applications that is easy to setup and has good technical support
  • "The most valuable feature is the load-balancing reverse proxy."
  • "We are having a difficult time with the security module, and how to implement the Radware security."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant, and I have customers who purchase Alteon Box. I help them with the design and architecture. The primary use case is mainly for load balancing internal applications, for internal-facing customers, as well as external customers on the internet.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the load-balancing and reverse proxy. Global-loadbalancing as well is valuable.

What needs improvement?

For a migration from F5 to Radware, the conversion of certain features is challenging :

1. From F5 ASM policies to Radware Appwall policies, we had to require support from professional services although the F5 ASM policy was basic.

2. Radware does not seem to support TLS extensions in the client_hello therefore migration of F5 scripts that was handing sessions with TLS extensions is a challenge.

3. overall migration of F5 scripts and specific configuration like profiles is a challenge

With the example above a radware conversion tool that would migrate scripts and configuration or from other vendor to Radware would be a real asset. Support of TLS extension would facilitate deployment with that scenario as well.

I have been working with Radware Alteon for approximately three years.

I find it to be stable. To date, we have not had any issues with it.

I have not had a chance to work on a scenario where we really carried a lot.

I am working on a project now where there are more applications going through Radware. Just now we are going to see how it works, regarding the scalability. It appears to be scalable but I can't tell you at this time.

Radware Alteon is used by the administrator, the network integrator, the people that are managing, and the internal management team and they seems comfortable with the learning curve an the handling of the solution.

My experience with technical support is that they were great. We also had engineers that know the product help to resolve the issue.

Our clients have replaced F5 with Radware Alteon.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We have a group of four to deploy and maintain this solution.

I design with Radware. I design myself and work with a team to integrate it.

I don't implement it as an integrator.

Yes, Forti ADC

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who is considering using this solution with application security or complex used case. I would suggest that they talk to professional services. I would recommend they work with professional services depending on the project complexity, and if it's migration, for instance, the scripting around the Radware is not something people would be familiar with. Professional services would be able to help with the scripting.

I would rate Radware Alteon a nine out of ten.

SOC Specialist at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
User-friendly, good interface with alerting, and easy to setup
  • "The interface is easy, it's friendly, and has good alerting."
  • "Support is an area that needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for web application load balancing.

We use it because we have several servers and we needed to distribute the traffic.

What is most valuable?

It is useful in many areas, especially for web applications and load balancing. It's something that the customer can see on the internet.

What needs improvement?

Support is an area that needs improvement. They need to have better response times.

I have been using this solution for a year and a half.

Technical support takes too long to respond. Sometimes you need a quick response.

I would rate them a five out of ten.

The initial setup was easy.

We have a shared implementation. We work with a partner here in Ecuador.

What other advice do I have?

For others who are interested in using this solution, I would say that it is necessary to take the time to input the correct dimensions of the equipment.

In my opinion Radware Alteon is the best for simulteneous feature of bundling FastView Web Performance Optimization (WPO), Application Performance Monitoring (APM), AppWall Web Application Firewall (WAF), Authentication Gateway, Advanced Denial of Service (ADoS), ITM / bandwidth management as well as maximum SSL and compression capacities.

MukulRustagi - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Technical Engineer - Security at PureSoftware Ltd
Scalable, stable, with a great price point

What is most valuable?

I found the link load balancer and server load balancer are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the loading documentation improved.

I have been working with Radware Alteon for the past five or six years.

The best thing about Radware Alteon is its stability. I do not have even the smallest issue.

It is very scalable and you can increase the bandwidth, license, etc.

We found the technical support to be very helpful. They are available online and help with any questions we have.

I found the setup complex with regards to configuration and devices.

It has a good price point and is more reasonable than other comparable products.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Radware Alteon a nine out of ten.

Download our free Application Delivery Controllers (ADC) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Radware, F5, Citrix, and more!
Updated: July 2022