Radware Alteon OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Radware Alteon is the #7 ranked solution in top Application Delivery Controllers. PeerSpot users give Radware Alteon an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Radware Alteon is most commonly compared to F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM): Radware Alteon vs F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM). Radware Alteon is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
Radware Alteon Buyer's Guide

Download the Radware Alteon Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Radware Alteon?

Radware Alteon is an application delivery controller (ADC) solution that provides global load balancing for all web, cloud and mobile-based applications. The solution is designed to help your organization simplify operations while ensuring resilience and SLA. It manages application traffic across both data and cloud center locations, optimizing availability and performance. In addition, Radware Alteon integrates multiple application protection services to provide protection against an array of cyberthreats.

Radware Alteon Features

Radware Alteon has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Robust
  • Load-balancing reverse proxy
  • Stable
  • Flexible
  • Guaranteed application availability
  • Application aware traffic redirection capabilities
  • Faster web application response time
  • Application specific optimized configuration guides
  • Configuration templates
  • Built-in virtualization
  • Built-in application and network security

Radware Alteon Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Radware Alteon. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Flexible deployment options: Radware Alteon is deployable in a multitude of form factors, including on-premises, virtual, and cloud, and provides a consistent application delivery and security service in any application environment.
  • Automation scripts library: To support faster time to service for complex application delivery and security services, Alteon is supported by an extensive range of automation scripts library. This also enables seamless integration of Radware Alteon services into the DevOps CI/CD processes.
  • Integrated application protection: The solution offers comprehensive application protection via embedded WAF, bot management, threat intelligence, and API protection capabilities. This ensures application availability and helps to minimize false positives, as well as keep applications along with their data secure.
  • Actionable visibility: With Radware Alteon you can stay ahead of issues and threats. The solution provides real-time visibility and actionable insights for proactive management of application availability and security issues before the user experience is impacted.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the solution.

PeerSpot reviewer Jefe de implementaciones de Datos at RETO Industrial S.A. de. C.V., mentions, “The simple and well-documented configuration allows us to be able to implement new balancing services at the request of the user with the same conditions and good service that they expect. We can also make changes to services that are already running, as I mentioned before, the graphical interface is very intuitive and you can almost always make the most common changes quickly. Radware has been characterized by being extremely robust. This gives us the confidence to offer our users a continuous service.”

A director of consulting says, “The most valuable features are the load-balancing and reverse proxy. Global-load balancing as well is valuable. I also find it to be stable. To date, we have not had any issues with it.”

An SOC Specialist at a tech services company explains, “The interface is easy, it's friendly, and has good alerting. When you have a problem with a server, it will alert you. It is useful in many areas, especially for web applications and load balancing. It's something that the customer can see on the internet.”

Radware Alteon was previously known as Alteon.

Radware Alteon Customers

Convergys

Radware Alteon Video

Radware Alteon Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Radware Alteon pricing:
"Radware Alteon is less expensive than many of the other competitors."

Radware Alteon Reviews

CarlosLopez - PeerSpot reviewer
Cyber security analyst at Fujitsu
MSP
Great load-balancing services and multiple backend servers, but it would be great if it had script-sharing features in a community hub
  • "The strength of this solution is the application delivery controller."
  • "The community portal does not have a place to find scripts."

What is our primary use case?

The vendor usually overloads the devices with a lot of functionality. The strength of this solution is the application delivery controller. The best functions are load-balancing services and multiple backend servers.

What is most valuable?

The SSL uploading feature is helpful, and every vendor has it. It terminates the full connections and takes care of all the power required for the backend servers to process the SSL load. Radware Alteon also makes our environment and web applications more scalable because the devices are half-sequence and specifically designed to handle web traffic and SSL web traffic.

These devices work as hypervisors on the cluster that we have on-premises. We can run virtual applications and delivery controllers inside them. We can also isolate resources and environments. In addition, Radware Alteon has a helpful scripting engine for automation called AppShape+.

What needs improvement?

I have worked with Big IP F5. It is a veteran solution that is more stable and has more resources. Big IP F5 has a virtual hub in the community with a lot of resources and already-made scripts that can be used for free. Radware Alteon has a community portal, but the community portal does not have a place to find scripts. It would be great if they could be transparent and deploy a community where their users can share the scripts.

We have been using this solution for almost 11 years. We have a cluster of two Radware 52808 devices. We are currently using version 32.2.12. Some devices are deployed on-premises, but we have a client running SIWA, a cloud web environment in Radware Alteon, so we deploy both. So it is on public and hardware cloud.

Radware Alteon
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Radware Alteon. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is pretty stable, and we are happy with the solution. We had some problems in the past, but they have been resolved. In the past, we suffered some key performance bags. For example, there was a memory leak that persisted during firmware releases. We had to reboot and failover the devices. Every Wednesday at 6:00 pm, we had failovers of the digital application delivery control from one device to another for about a year. The device had a problem where if you ran it for too long without rebooting, it generated a corrupt memory and crashed. The device stopped accepting new connections, and we couldn't see any issues in the logs. The technical support told us it could be a tricky memory leak back. When we started rebooting the devices periodically each week, we managed to resolve the situation. It took about a year, and multiple upgrades and versions before the vendor fixed the issue.

Our organization usually buys load balances and hand-held devices oversized. We have not had any problem with scalability, and none of the devices fall short of our expectations. In addition, the devices are usually more powerful than the license they sell you. If there are problems with scalability, we can upgrade our license to a superior one.

We work with public institutions and have tens of thousands of potential users because we use Radware Alteon in public administration and digital offices. In Spain, the public administration sector is our biggest client.

They have good support, and we have used them for years.

We have used Big IP F5 for many years.

I rate the initial setup an eight out of ten. It was not straightforward because we needed to set it up. Radware Alteon has a specific syntax requiring navigation of all menus and venues.

Deployment depends on the area and configuration that needs to be applied. With setup experience, deployment of Radware Alteon could be reasonably fast. The initial deployment was done in-house. But now, connecting to a third-party coworker in the data center is easy. We can rack the device in the data center and plug the cables into a laptop that can plug into the Radware Alteon. The user can connect to a smartphone data plan and easily configure the device remotely. We need just two people for maintenance.

I believe there is a return on investment. Therefore, the solution is worth buying, and if you don't buy a load balancer, it is difficult because you will need more backend servers.

I do not have specific details about the costs. There is a licensing fee, and they have an SSL transaction license and others. They have two or three licenses that you pay based on the volume.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a seven out of ten. Of recent, we tend to lean towards using cloud. This is because the on-premises devices are less common and are losing presence in my company's services. Regarding advice to others, I would recommend they upgrade the device before entering the production stage to reduce the bags.

Santiago Castro - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Architect at a sports company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable, quick to deploy, and easy to implement
  • "The solution has been very stable."
  • "We’d like the solution to include more security features in the standard license."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is basically used for load balancing. We do build for load balancing as well. We have several load balancers in the physical and cloud space. We started using it for GTM and also use it for some iRules scripting and to modify the SDP draft.

How has it helped my organization?

It was way cheaper than F5, so that was the reason to move from F5 to Radware. In terms of value for money, maybe it's better. F5 is very good. However, it was really expensive. This solution is also quite good, yet costs much less.

What is most valuable?

It's quite a nice solution. It's like F5. They are very good products and are very easy to use. They're very powerful, you can do a lot of things with the scripting, and also even in the interface and the graphic interface, you can configure other things without going to the scripting, to the rules.

The initial setup is easy and it was quick to deploy.

The solution has been very stable.

What needs improvement?

Maybe there are a couple of things that didn't work very well. You kind of have the same build and different build for load balancers. It can create some issues. We faced issues where we needed to have some kind of the same balance in different environments. That happened with F5. However, in Radware, you can do it when we move to production and we need to change the balance there. Different environments should be able to have some balance to be completely isolated. That's something that they could really improve to make it really, really isolated.

We just acquired Radware in the last few months. IT’s been about eight months.

The solution is stable. In the last eight months since we migrated, we’ve had no big issues. Everything is working fine. There are no bugs or glitches, and it doesn’t crash or freeze.

The scalability is about licensing. You require more bandwidth and more throughput. To scale, it’s about acquiring more licensing. That’s about it.

For example, if you have a license of 30GBs of traffic and may need to support up to maybe 80GBs. You need to increase the license. You can kind of use it on demand, however. If you can change the license every three years, and you can see that your throughput is going to increase a lot, you can scale up.

We have about ten people on the solution currently. We do have plans to potentially increase usage in the future.

Technical support was okay. We opened a couple of tickets, it was okay. They were fast and they fixed the issues.

Positive

We just migrated to Radware from F5 APM. It’s quite new. It's really, really powerful. However, they are very good load balancers.

The setup is relatively straightforward. To do clustering is very easy. It's way easier than F5, I would say.

The deployment was quite fast. The problem was that migrating from F5 took a lot because we had to add the Windows in place and handle the service impact. That said, deploying is fast. If you are in the integration field and you don't have to migrate, it's pretty fast.

How many people you need to maintain the solution depends on the size. However, you might need four or five people.

There was a mix of personnel helping with the setup. I was doing it mostly myself. However, I had the help of professional services from Radware.

For the amount of traffic that we use, it's as good as F5 and way cheaper.

The pricing is much more reasonable than, for example, F5, our old solution.

I’m not sure how much the solution costs. However, my understanding is that it is moderately priced. I’d rate it a three out of five in terms of affordability. It’s not cheaper. However, it is less expensive than F5.

We checked in with Citrix as well. It was also good. In the end, we went to Radware.

What other advice do I have?

We’re just a customer.

We’re using one of the most recent versions of the solution.

It's a very good product, however, if it would work for your company would depend on your needs. It depends on the amount of traffic.

I’d rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Radware Alteon
November 2022
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Alberto Guerrero - PeerSpot reviewer
Jefe de implementaciones de Datos at RETO Industrial S.A. de. C.V.
User
Robust and simple with well-documented configurations
  • "Radware has been characterized by being extremely robust. This gives us the confidence to offer our users a continuous service."
  • "We recently had a problem with the tables Obsolete ARP which was observed by the support team. It would be good to diagnose and solve this problem with a patch since it is not documented that it will be solved in later updates."

What is our primary use case?

We use Alteon Radware to balance web page services hosted on real and virtual servers, these government portals must be available 100% of the time and must be accessible from the internet and intranet. In addition to the fact that we can add an extra layer of security (due to the use of virtual IP address and proxy IP address) When there is an impact on any of the servers, we receive an alert notification and we can attend to the impact on that server, for the end-user, this is indistinct since the service is not affected.

How has it helped my organization?

We have improved the user experience by having services available all the time, in addition to the fact that with this solution it is easier to manage from a graphical interface that is useful and intuitive, as an administrator it is important to have a clear and complete vision of the services that we operate. Simple troubleshooting tools have helped us solve problems faster and problems are more complex so analysis is complex so we asked for Radware support. This has helped us to identify exactly where the problems are in the network, correct faults, and continuous improvement.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We recently had a problem with the table's Obsolete ARP which was observed by the support team. It would be good to diagnose and solve this problem with a patch since it is not documented that it will be solved in later updates. The implementation of this service has been expanding to more of our clients, it is rare that we need to contact Radware support and even more rarely a call in real-time but we have found few technicians who give us support in Spanish, we could attend to the problems much faster if language barriers weren't an issue.

I used the solution two years ago.

The solution is extremely robust.

It is highly scalable.

99% of the time they have given us fast and efficient support.

Positive

Manual balancing tools and changes were made as a user might experience outages.

The initial setup was straightforward. It is well documented and we are free to do it via GUI or CLI.

We implemented this through an internal team, which is trained to do so thanks to the training tools provided by Radware.

We can offer automation in case of impact, which translates into time savings. I do not have the exact information of the ROI in terms of cash

The licensing processes are easy and the costs are acceptable. We use permanent licenses and we have not had any problems.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

They could improve the solution update processes to make it easier and faster.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners of Radware Alteon and we provide this solution to our customers
Senior consultant Cybersecurity
The functionality worked well, but the service could be improved by better customer support
  • "The GUI was a valuable feature. It was uncomplicated and easy to use."
  • "The service could be improved by better customer support."

What is our primary use case?

My organization used the solution as a load balancer to balance the traffic on our application servers.

What is most valuable?

The GUI was a valuable feature. It was uncomplicated and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The service could be improved by better customer support.

They could also introduce much-needed cybersecurity as well as governance and tax reporting features.

I used the solution for almost four years.

The solution was stable.

The product is scalable. The functionality worked well. One issue was insufficient bandwidth to handle all the traffic, which likely impacted our timing.

When we approached customer service and support with configuration-related issues and multiple cases of bugs in the Radware Alteon software, the response was slow, and there was no resolution.

Neutral

I never used any other load balancer or ADC before. I've only worked with Radware Alteon.

From 2010 to 2018, when I was working, they had Alteon, which they implemented in 2000 when implementation was more complex.

I have no idea about the price, but the organization I was working for was always looking for economical products. So I would assume the price was quite competitive.

I would definitely recommend Radware load balancer to organizations around the globe that don't have a huge budget.

What other advice do I have?

I would give the product an overall rating of seven out of 10.

We had an average of around 1,500 users. They used the product on everything and on every application server they had.

Regarding maintenance, we didn't have a very big IT environment. Two guys were enough to load the configuration and deal with operational issues.

Our maintenance included conflict backup, which differed depending on the organization. We scheduled load balancer reports as required, usually monthly, occasionally bi-monthly, and sometimes after six months, depending on customer requirements.

Potential users should use the application before implementing it and understand the infrastructure. They need to know how they will use the load balancer, what features it has to load, and whether they can utilize it.

Maverick Hurley - PeerSpot reviewer
Architect-Network Services-Global at Crown Castle USA
User-friendly configuration, effective reverse proxy functionality, and priced well
  • "The most valuable features of Radware Alteon are the reverse proxy functionality and the SSL offload and hardware."
  • "Radware Alteon could improve the troubleshooting from the command line interface, they could do a better job making it easier."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Radware Alteon as a web application farm for all of our on-premise websites and as a reverse proxy.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Radware Alteon are the reverse proxy functionality and the SSL offload and hardware.

What needs improvement?

Radware Alteon could improve the troubleshooting from the command line interface, they could do a better job making it easier.

I have been using Radware Alteon for approximately 10 years.

The stability of Radware Alteon is good.

Radware Alteon is scalable.

We have approximately 10,000 users using the solution globally. We have all of our applications for our web and EDI environment using the solution.

The technical support from Radware Alteon is wonderful.

I rate the support from Radware Alteon a five out of five.

Positive

The initial setup of Radware Alteon is straightforward. The full installation took approximately three to four days.

I rate the initial setup of Radware Alteon a four out of five.

We did the implementation of the solution in-house.

We have received a return on investment using Radware Alteon. It is one of their strong points. You receive the value of your money out of using it.

Radware Alteon is less expensive than many of the other competitors.

We compared Radware Alteon to other vendors, such as F5, and not only was Radware Alteon less expensive but it is more user-friendly in the interface and configuration.

What other advice do I have?

We are going to change solutions. However, we are staying with Radware. The solution we are using is the hardware Radware Alteon 5208 but they make a virtual Alteon now. We are moving to all virtual Radware Alteons instead of physical hardware. The cost of us using all virtual Radware Alteon solutions will be $154,000 over three years. This includes 80 load balancers and 10 GB.

I rate Radware Alteon a nine out of ten.

Imran Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Technical Consultant at Orange Business Services
Simple and user-friendly command line interface; easy to configure and troubleshoot
  • "The command line interface is simple and very user-friendly."
  • "The solution could be more robust."

What is our primary use case?

We use Alteon to load balance our client traffic between different servers. We provide client support for deploying, configuring and troubleshooting.

What is most valuable?

The best thing about Radware is the command line interface which is simple and very user-friendly. This is a very good device because it's easy to configure and easy to troubleshoot. Radware provides numerous guides including configuration, CLI, and troubleshooting. That is a very useful thing to troubleshoot, to configure our Radware devices.

What needs improvement?

We've developed a lack of trust in the product because it sometimes behaves unexpectedly. Some issues are not resolved even after troubleshooting multiple times and then we have to reboot the device before it can be resolved. The solution could be more robust. The GUI should be improved because it's old and very traditional. One of our concerns is that Radware is not going to provide us with a free trial demo license so that we can install the product in our VM for our engineers to check, troubleshoot and study the product.

I've been using this solution for over three years.

Stability could be improved.

Radware is a very scalable product.

I haven't needed to contact technical support on my most recent project because I have a multiple-user configuration guide for the command line, the GUI base, and for any issues. The guides are very helpful.

The initial setup and configuration process is very quick and easy. If we have a pre-configured setup file, then we can configure Radware within 5 to 10 minutes.

Radware is a very budget-friendly device. It is not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and we're generally satisfied with its features and capabilities. I rate the solution nine out of 10.

Saurabh-Pal - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Security Specialist at ADA Software Re Engineering Services Pvt. Ltd.
Link load balancing is a great feature as is the ability to access externally
  • "The link load balancing is a great feature."
  • "Performance could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

This is an appliance device and its primary use case is for server load balancing and gate load balancing. I'm an engineer and we install and configure this solution for our customers. I'm a system integrator and our company is based in India.

How has it helped my organization?

By providing web access specificity for different servers and different types of devices Alteon has simplified things by also enabling external user access.

What is most valuable?

The link load balancing is a great feature. We use it whenever two or three different links need to be integrated for a customer. When one link goes down, it automatically switches to another.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see some improvement in performance.

I've been installing this product for our customers for almost four years.

The solution is stable.

The product has good scalability.

The technical support is good and helpful.

Positive

We have also installed and provide support for F5.

The initial setup is straightforward. There is a management tool that enables installation and configuration. We have a team that carries out the implementation for our clients.

We have a permanent license, not an annual one. I'm unaware of the cost.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution and rate it nine out of 10.

Preshit Lanjekar - PeerSpot reviewer
Network SME at capgemini ltd
A stable firewall solution that allows for customization, but is more cost effective when using the cloud-based version
  • "his solution allows me to secure applications, by blocking suspicious traffic based on the signature that has been enabled for that particular application."
  • "I would like this solution to have an integration tool that will convert configuration from other software, into readable values for this product during implementation."

What is our primary use case?

I use this product as a web application firewall.

What is most valuable?

This solution allows me to secure applications, by blocking suspicious traffic based on the signature that has been enabled for that particular application.

What needs improvement?

I would like this solution to have an integration tool that will convert configuration from other software, into readable values for this product during implementation.

I would also like there to be more filtering features added to this product.

I have been using this solution for around two years.

I have found this to be a stable solution during my time using it.  However, it is reliant on hardware working properly when deployed on-premises.

I have found this solution to be easily scalable.

I have found the support for this solution to be very good.

What other advice do I have?

For organizations that are considering this product, I would recommend that they look into the cloud-based version of the solution. This is more cost effective, as there is no need to purchase specific hardware, and all of the setup and configuration is carried out before the solution is deployed.

Download our free Radware Alteon Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022